• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Todays Cu Story

SouthPaw

Lore Master
So I have my new tamer up and running and trying to fill his stable. Really wanted a white, black, red, or blaze to make AI/Chiv Cu.

So I start farming them, after awhile the dark blue one spawns, best looking of the blue shades IMO. It has average stats so I tame and stable it.

Awhile goes by and a grey one spawns with very good stats, tame and stable it.

20 minutes or so goes by and a white one spawns. I'm losing my mind with excitement. He put up quite a fight to tame too. Check his stats. Pretty much the worst stats possible. 506 HP and 84 cold resist. Son of a...!

Awhile later a black one spawns, get excited again, tame it pretty easily, check stats, hardly better than the white one!

After that 3 paragons spawned and the 4rth Cu was bugged-stuck on a rock, so I figured that was the UO Gods telling me my cu taming was done for the day.

I plugged the white one's stats in the pet planner, it's around 30% intensity! I wanted to cry, but started building it out anyways in the planner to see what could be done. To my surprise I found I can do the standard AI/Chiv build and fully 120 scroll it, 20/5/30 regens, 700/150/370 stats, and still get 600 HP and 500 mana! Sure I'd prefer 700+ HP, but this pet could still be really good! That was pretty surprising to me.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes the % really does not matter on a Cu. You do everything and hit points are the last thing you increase. And usually you get at least 50 more HP.

XeneX

Adventurer
Keep at it. RNG can be harsh, but can also be kind, and you'll see upgrades for all the colors you like if you stick with it. Lots of folks fall for the gambler's fallacy, that after a few uncommon events (like black/white spawns) it won't happen again soon, but the reality is that every time a Cu spawns the odds of getting colors are precisely the same.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
So I ended up going back and was able to kill the bugged one. After awhile another white one spawned! And guess what? It's just barely better than the first one, 513 HP. I don't get it...all the ones with good stats are the natural colored one. Now all 4 are paragons....

Last edited:

Gardo

Journeyman
So I ended up going back and was able to kill the bugged one. After awhile another white one spawned! And guess what? It's just barely better than the first one, 513 HP. I don't get it...all the ones with good stats are the natural colored one. Now all 4 are paragons....
Kill those paragons....

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I got on my other tamer and killed the paragons, tamed/released in the cave a lot more cu's, mostly the natural color. There was a brown one that I nearly kept because it had such good stats, but I didn't like the color.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tame 300 each day and in a month you may get a blaze!

XeneX

Adventurer
That's how it goes. I've tamed a decent amount of these and still have yet to find a red or pink over 40%. At the same time I've found a bunch of black/white in the 70's, several other colors in the 80's, and a dull @ 93%.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd really like to get a red/black/white 70%+, of course a blaze would be nice, but I know the odds.
Ya that's how it goes. I farmed cu's for 2 months looking for a rare color high intensity one. No luck. Then one day I was killing swoop and a 81% ice white strolled down and I tamed it! When you stop trying for one you will get it! :)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Tried some more last night and this morning, but nothing good spawned. I'll tell you this though, I've become very good at lead taming. Also gave a few cu's away to people who wanted them.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ya that's how it goes. I farmed cu's for 2 months looking for a rare color high intensity one. No luck. Then one day I was killing swoop and a 81% ice white strolled down and I tamed it! When you stop trying for one you will get it! :)
Similar thing happened to me. I farmed for a while trying to find a blue LH with no luck. Then I was about to sign off one day, decided to do a quick sweep, and found a very high percentage midnight blue. Love that bird.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes!! This works!!

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So I have my new tamer up and running and trying to fill his stable. Really wanted a white, black, red, or blaze to make AI/Chiv Cu.

So I start farming them, after awhile the dark blue one spawns, best looking of the blue shades IMO. It has average stats so I tame and stable it.

Awhile goes by and a grey one spawns with very good stats, tame and stable it.

20 minutes or so goes by and a white one spawns. I'm losing my mind with excitement. He put up quite a fight to tame too. Check his stats. Pretty much the worst stats possible. 506 HP and 84 cold resist. Son of a...!

Awhile later a black one spawns, get excited again, tame it pretty easily, check stats, hardly better than the white one!

After that 3 paragons spawned and the 4rth Cu was bugged-stuck on a rock, so I figured that was the UO Gods telling me my cu taming was done for the day.

I plugged the white one's stats in the pet planner, it's around 30% intensity! I wanted to cry, but started building it out anyways in the planner to see what could be done. To my surprise I found I can do the standard AI/Chiv build and fully 120 scroll it, 20/5/30 regens, 700/150/370 stats, and still get 600 HP and 500 mana! Sure I'd prefer 700+ HP, but this pet could still be really good! That was pretty surprising to me.
Yes they are still good... lately I have been purposely putting only 600 HP on my dogs so I have extra points for other things... works just fine

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I must have been really lucky the first day having got 2 whites and 1 black. I didn't get anything good yesterday and I was there for quite awhile.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
A blaze would be nice, but I'd be happy just to get a red/white/black one with good stats. Despite farming 100's of cu's I have yet to see a wild Red one. The first day I got the luckiest with 2 whites and 1 black, but all with really low stats. Yesterday I probably saw all the blue's/grey/copper/bronze ones multiple times, but no red, white, or black. The RNG hates me long time.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You’ll find your red. I got two red on Sunday... of course I was looking for a black and got none. I know it is all RNG, but your number will come up.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Yeah, I keep at it. Last night I was there with a guildy, he was farming for a blaze (good luck with that!). We farmed loads of them and never saw white, black, or red. He said he's never seen a wild red one either.

XeneX

Adventurer
While trying to farm a red and pink better than 40% I found two blaze, 9 days apart. Still have yet to find a red or pink better than 40% though. Rare probabilities can produce unexpected results. You really need to tame millions of these things to see the odds start converging on expected outcomes.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Last night I tamed a dark blue one with 593 HP and low cold resist. Was tempted to keep it, but gave it to a friend. For some reason there was a boatload of changelings at the spawn last night. Hate those guys, especially the paragon one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Last night I tamed a dark blue one with 593 HP and low cold resist. Was tempted to keep it, but gave it to a friend. For some reason there was a boatload of changelings at the spawn last night. Hate those guys, especially the paragon one.
That's why you should take them into the sand and name them and release them there. They fight the changelings.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
That's why you should take them into the sand and name them and release them there. They fight the changelings.
Not any more..They dont fight the changellings, and lately do not drop a bandaid pack/bag when released. Ninja changes..

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Not any more..They dont fight the changellings, and lately do not drop a bandaid pack/bag when released. Ninja changes..
The changlings do target Cu's that were tamed and released, the Cu's just don't actively go after the changelings until they're attacked.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. The released Cu is not aggressive until poked.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The changlings do target Cu's that were tamed and released, the Cu's just don't actively go after the changelings until they're attacked.
Sweet!.. hehe nice to know..
Though Changies are with some cool gold 500-600/pop just burnable trash points. I like it when they morph and target you, and spam 2-3 spells including poison..lol

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Found a pretty good black cu today. 550 HP, low cold resist and high energy resist-that's how I like 'em.

Gardo

Journeyman
I’ve been killing cu’s like crazy of late. Raise karma, kill cu’s, raise karma, kill cu’s.... rng has NOT been my friend though. Did tame a bronze with 598hp/70c/70e, but that’s about it over the last week or so.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I’ve been killing cu’s like crazy of late. Raise karma, kill cu’s, raise karma, kill cu’s.... rng has NOT been my friend though. Did tame a bronze with 598hp/70c/70e, but that’s about it over the last week or so.
I've been alternating between Cu's and Great Dragons to keep my karma up.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Just tamed a Red Cu! Unfortunately it has 501 HP! I can't believe it! That's pretty much as low as it gets. But it has 85 energy and 75 cold resist, which I like a lot.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
So far I've tamed 1 white, 2 blacks, and 1 red, and 3 of them had near the bare minimum HP, except 1 black has 549 HP. Still can't believe that Red one has 501 HP, probably the lowest HP I've ever seen on a Cu. Surprised it's not 2 slots!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So far I've tamed 1 white, 2 blacks, and 1 red, and 3 of them had near the bare minimum HP, except 1 black has 549 HP. Still can't believe that Red one has 501 HP, probably the lowest HP I've ever seen on a Cu. Surprised it's not 2 slots!
What shard are you on? I got a red on Atlantic last week. I trained up the skills a bit, but have not started pet training. Hit Points are 522 and STR is 605. Cold is 83 and energy is 74. Poison is 46. I’d be willing to trade the red for a near equivalent black.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What did your Bronze peg out on the intensity calculator? It sounds near perfect so you can optimize resists and make a solid fighter.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What did your Bronze peg out on the intensity calculator? It sounds near perfect so you can optimize resists and make a solid fighter.
The resists make Cus calculate odd. Their str has a small variance and high cold or Energy resist is not wanted by all.

So the most points that can make a high or low percentage are in Hit Points. HP can make it 300 points difference. The 3 other resists will get no where near that even if highest possible vs lowest possible.

So, most look for Color, resists, HP. In the order they prefer.

Banes also can be tricky. You would want best resists and lower HP/higher str on a Bane to make AI/Chiv.

For most pet types the calculator ROCKS. :party:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So. Our calculator has this handy little button called "Set Resist Threshold". In there you put in what your ideal resists for the CU is. So if you are wanting as close to 70 Cold and Energy, you put 70 in those two fields (can leave the rest blank) and it will tell you what the pets intensity is based on those being max resist desired. If you wanted 70 cold 85 energy, you put in 70 cold and leave the rest blank.

As for banes/dreads, I still use the calculator because you want your bane to break certain % on total resists and str (high int/mana can also make a difference here, so if they are over 125 you dont want to overlook those). One thing I do is only put in the Bane's hits at 600 (as long as they are over 600 hits) or lower if that's what they are. I know what numbers I need to hit on the other stuff in order to make a good or decent Chiv/AI bane.

Gardo

Journeyman
I don’t generally worry too much about a Cu’s intensity as long as HP is high, resists are where I want them and if physical resist is close to 65....well, awesome sauce!!! Putting this particular one into the calculator, with thresholds set, results in a 79%er (68%er without thresholds)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So. Our calculator has this handy little button called "Set Resist Threshold". In there you put in what your ideal resists for the CU is. So if you are wanting as close to 70 Cold and Energy, you put 70 in those two fields (can leave the rest blank) and it will tell you what the pets intensity is based on those being max resist desired. If you wanted 70 cold 85 energy, you put in 70 cold and leave the rest blank.

As for banes/dreads, I still use the calculator because you want your bane to break certain % on total resists and str (high int/mana can also make a difference here, so if they are over 125 you dont want to overlook those). One thing I do is only put in the Bane's hits at 600 (as long as they are over 600 hits) or lower if that's what they are. I know what numbers I need to hit on the other stuff in order to make a good or decent Chiv/AI bane.
Yes I know that. But what you consider good resists and what others do may be different. He liked the 85 energy. The calculator and planner is awesome! It just does not directly work for a Cu because of the resists. Which does not matter. That 501 HP Cu can be built with all the bells and whistles. It will just have up to 100 HP less than others. Its still the 3 things you find more important on a Cu. Color, HP, Cold/EnergyResist. Thats the order I go with. Ill build a Black or White >580 HP Cu and not care what the resists are. (I'm lucky, I dont have any that couldn't get 80 in phy and fire)

You can use it with the thresholds for personal Cu keeping. But to say I have an 75% Cu and thats all the info you give is not the same as a 75% PP Nightmare or most other pets.

The calculator then planner is especially great for pets that have less than 300 to 400 starting HP.

IMO that is the best tool that we have ever had access to for taming.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I want all 3: color, HP, resists. I prefer low cold resist.

I know I can take that 501 red cu and build it right and could even full scroll it and have 600 HP, but I don't want to scroll a pet that isn't near perfect, you know? I have a white cu that I spent all the points on because he had very low HP to start too, realized I was never go to scroll him so may as well use all the points. I've grown to really like my white cu, would be nice to find another with high HP. Maybe I'll do an alternate build on the red one...AI/Mystic and use all the points, no scrolls. My tamer that is using these pets has 120 Discord and 120 Spellweaving so really scrolls aren't as needed as much as with other builds.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want all 3: color, HP, resists. I prefer low cold resist.

I know I can take that 501 red cu and build it right and could even full scroll it and have 600 HP, but I don't want to scroll a pet that isn't near perfect, you know? I have a white cu that I spent all the points on because he had very low HP to start too, realized I was never go to scroll him so may as well use all the points. I've grown to really like my white cu, would be nice to find another with high HP. Maybe I'll do an alternate build on the red one...AI/Mystic and use all the points, no scrolls. My tamer that is using these pets has 120 Discord and 120 Spellweaving so really scrolls aren't as needed as much as with other builds.
Open a few more accounts and make more tamers. You will use all the pets you find. :)

110 and 115 non magic scrolls make good pets.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Open a few more accounts and make more tamers. You will use all the pets you find. :)

110 and 115 non magic scrolls make good pets.
Well I got 2 tamers on Pacific so far. I've thought about making another one on Great Lakes or Chesapeake or Atlantic so I can go hunting with people who post here. I imagine playing on a busy shard will be a whole different experience.