• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Very Near the End

Is the game at a potential point to be closed down?

• Total voters

A Cat

Visitor
Good evening/Morning,

What is everyone's thoughts on the current status of this game? I suggest that there are about 5000 active accounts across all shards (Give or take 1,000). Of those, there are probably 3000 unique users.

Given the game's current status, do we still think the Official servers are going to last another 2 years? Personally, I think Broadsword is going to lose the contract. They've not managed to sustain the game. I would not be shocked if the cost of developers/servers/buildings/electricity is break even with sub costs.

Thoughts?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good evening/Morning,

What is everyone's thoughts on the current status of this game? I suggest that there are about 5000 active accounts across all shards (Give or take 1,000). Of those, there are probably 3000 unique users.

Given the game's current status, do we still think the Official servers are going to last another 2 years? Personally, I think Broadsword is going to lose the contract. They've not managed to sustain the game. I would not be shocked if the cost of developers/servers/buildings/electricity is break even with sub costs.

Thoughts?
Its not a question of active subs. Look at the houses on shards. There are at least an average of 500 houses per shard as a conservative estimate. Those accounts have to be active to hold a house. Assume 350 are full time active and 150 are playing the 1/3 game (active one month and inactive the other 3. Thats still 1/4 x 150 = 37 + 350 = approx 400 active accounts per shard. Assume then 400x$10 or $4k per shard or $48k per shard per year. Round to 50k. Round to 30 shards. Thats $1.5m per year. Probably $500k in server costs. $1m left pays about 6-7 developers and game designers and artists to maintain the game with maybe a small profit.

It is HOUSING that is really propping this game up. Anything they do to housing will kill the game so that is why things like storage increase etc must be carefully considered in terms of how many accounts might be closed.

As long as people pay for accounts to hold houses - this game is propped up. If it truely were the active player base (3k active a month or 30k a month) it would definitely die as it wouldn't cover the hardware costs.

If I had to guess with xfer tokens, starter packs, and other UO store items in addition to subs I'll be UO pulls in right around $2m a year. Thats enough to keep the lights on and have a small staff to maintain.
Whats crazy to me is that they aren't ingenious enough to look around at other games that have wild success and look to incorporate some of these ideas into UO. Battle Royal type of gameplay from fortnite with a more simplified gaming and fighting system.

Example - Imagine you are dumped into a dungeon that you have to fight your way out of and the last person alive wins or last team of 2 wins. You all start naked with only skills and have to pick up objects/artifacts in the dungeon. When you finish - if you win you keep the artifacts. People would be playing that content all the time. Battle Royal only starts when you have 100 people ready to go. You pay for an extra battle pass.

This game would increase in subs and you could likely double revenue in 3 months.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh, and just for clarity, any game that is open is at a potential point to be shut down. the potential is always there, a lawsuit, an unpopular change to mechanics, bankruptcy, the list is unlimited.

A Cat

Visitor
Why are people so offended by this? I'm just curious. I was a returning player, played on and off since beta, and I canceled my sub after about 1 month. My issue? I got tired of being PKd as I worked for Power Scrolls. I dealt with that every night for a month. So, I canceled. To me, this is worse than the previous times I subbed. Also, I noted that server pop was REALLY low on Great Lakes, which is the 2nd most populated shard from what I read.

Side note: I deleted all my chars, house, and gave everything away. My only regret? I released an absolutely awesome Disco Cu Side. I put a month's worth of work into him. Just got sick of getting PKd over and over. The suggestions I got were to spend a bunch of time fighting them, or do something else. (I've literally done everything else over the years) /meh

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you were are so put off by being pk'd, then you should have done other types of content like the roof or lady Mel and all the other PvM stuff. you could have made enough money to buy power scrolls. but all is moot as you quit.

A Cat

Visitor
Its not a question of active subs. Look at the houses on shards. There are at least an average of 500 houses per shard as a conservative estimate. Those accounts have to be active to hold a house. Assume 350 are full time active and 150 are playing the 1/3 game (active one month and inactive the other 3. Thats still 1/4 x 150 = 37 + 350 = approx 400 active accounts per shard. Assume then 400x$10 or $4k per shard or $48k per shard per year. Round to 50k. Round to 30 shards. Thats $1.5m per year. Probably $500k in server costs. $1m left pays about 6-7 developers and game designers and artists to maintain the game with maybe a small profit.

It is HOUSING that is really propping this game up. Anything they do to housing will kill the game so that is why things like storage increase etc must be carefully considered in terms of how many accounts might be closed.

As long as people pay for accounts to hold houses - this game is propped up. If it truely were the active player base (3k active a month or 30k a month) it would definitely die as it wouldn't cover the hardware costs.

If I had to guess with xfer tokens, starter packs, and other UO store items in addition to subs I'll be UO pulls in right around $2m a year. Thats enough to keep the lights on and have a small staff to maintain.
Whats crazy to me is that they aren't ingenious enough to look around at other games that have wild success and look to incorporate some of these ideas into UO. Battle Royal type of gameplay from fortnite with a more simplified gaming and fighting system.

Example - Imagine you are dumped into a dungeon that you have to fight your way out of and the last person alive wins or last team of 2 wins. You all start naked with only skills and have to pick up objects/artifacts in the dungeon. When you finish - if you win you keep the artifacts. People would be playing that content all the time. Battle Royal only starts when you have 100 people ready to go. You pay for an extra battle pass.

This game would increase in subs and you could likely double revenue in 3 months.
Thanks for this insight. I have to agree with you. So numbers are probably a little higher than I had originally stated, but not too far off. Maybe 8,000-10,000 active accounts? How many houses does a shard hold? I think the only server loaded to the max is probably Atlantic.

Edit: As to the second part of your example. I've seen this play out in a restaurant before. You cater/pander to an older crowd, while never doing anything to bring in other people. Then your customer base slowly dies off and you go out of business.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well Dunker, I think the main reason everyone is being flippant is that you are here discussing a game that you have not only quit, but took great lengths to ensure you don't return. if you feel so adamant about how horrid the current status of the game is, why not move on and be secure in your belief the game is dying and not worth your time?

A Cat

Visitor
Well Dunker, I think the main reason everyone is being flippant is that you are here discussing a game that you have not only quit, but took great lengths to ensure you don't return. if you feel so adamant about how horrid the current status of the game is, why not move on and be secure in your belief the game is dying and not worth your time?
My desire to play has ended. My curiosity to understand why has not. I'm just trying to understand my really poor experience on this sub. Last time I subbed for almost a year. This time, I was done in under 2 months. Literally griefed at every turn. I don't remember the game being this bad. So, I thought I'd come ask. When I posted on the UO forum they locked everything. They don't care about my experience. So I thought, lets try stratics.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to quit. Just want others to explain. If I go read reddit, I see a lot of people who share my experience with this game. It's declined a lot. (IMHO)

Edit: One thing that stands out is that I played on Chesapeake, Pacific, Catskills, and I think a diff shard over the years. I made new characters every time. So being on a more populated shard may correlate with being griefed more, or a worse experience (go figure).

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My desire to play has ended. My curiosity to understand why has not. I'm just trying to understand my really poor experience on this sub. Last time I subbed for almost a year. This time, I was done in under 2 months. Literally griefed at every turn. I don't remember the game being this bad. So, I thought I'd come ask. When I posted on the UO forum they locked everything. They don't care about my experience. So I thought, lets try stratics.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to quit. Just want others to explain. If I go read reddit, I see a lot of people who share my experience with this game. It's declined a lot. (IMHO)
Well your experience was based on a flawed trial. you are obviously not a PvP'er that tried to do PvP'er content. Champ Spawns where the scrolls drop are for PvP. if you do not want to get PK'd and do pvp then you must do PvM content to make your money. and you can get by without power scrolls, i have made dozens of characters on all shards and gotten them to gm and then done the higher end content to make gold. then i buy the scrolls i want.

A Cat

Visitor
Well your experience was based on a flawed trial. you are obviously not a PvP'er that tried to do PvP'er content. Champ Spawns where the scrolls drop are for PvP. if you do not want to get PK'd and do pvp then you must do PvM content to make your money. and you can by without power scrolls, i have made dozens of characters on all shards and gotten them to gm and then done the higher end content to make gold. then i buy the scrolls i want.
I'd done just about everything else. Vanity mode (decorating houses) doesn't appeal to me. So most of the games other content is pointless to me. I already explained why the current state of PvP in the game is the real problem, but I won't go into that again here. I'll just say that I had people stealing hours of my time, every night after work. I put up with that for more than a month (I lost maybe 40 hours of farming time). I want to experience that content, but it was not possible. So, if I cannot do the things I want, might as well quit.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why are people so offended by this? I'm just curious. I was a returning player, played on and off since beta, and I canceled my sub after about 1 month. My issue? I got tired of being PKd as I worked for Power Scrolls. I dealt with that every night for a month. So, I canceled. To me, this is worse than the previous times I subbed. Also, I noted that server pop was REALLY low on Great Lakes, which is the 2nd most populated shard from what I read.

Side note: I deleted all my chars, house, and gave everything away. My only regret? I released an absolutely awesome Disco Cu Side. I put a month's worth of work into him. Just got sick of getting PKd over and over. The suggestions I got were to spend a bunch of time fighting them, or do something else. (I've literally done everything else over the years) /meh
This is nothing but a Troll and your thread was closed on the official forum so you come here and try to start the same BS. You played pre Tram and you think PKers are worst now than it was back then, another load of BS. How is it you are still posting on the official forum if like you said you canceled your sub, another line of BS.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is nothing but a Troll and your thread was closed on the official forum so you come here and try to start the same BS. You played pre Tram and you think PKers are worst now than it was back then, another load of BS. How is it you are still posting on the official forum if like you said you canceled your sub, another line of BS.
The PK's back then were worse and more plentiful.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

UO. It's not for the timid.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yup I was thinking this tread was just closed at uo.com lol

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...snipped ...

Side note: I deleted all my chars, house, and gave everything away. My only regret? I released an absolutely awesome Disco Cu Side. I put a month's worth of work into him. ...snipped ...
Where did you release that cuddly? ... if I may ask ...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
if you were are so put off by being pk'd, then you should have done other types of content like the roof or lady Mel and all the other PvM stuff. you could have made enough money to buy power scrolls. but all is moot as you quit.
You can't buy them if they are never for sale... If no one is ever doing them or selling the scrolls because they don't like getting PK'd then you can't buy the damn things no matter what their cost and some of us don't get anything from the roof or Lady Mel but 1 in maybe 100 runs... who has time for that ****? And if I did get something chances are I'd want to keep the damn thing not sell it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The PK's back then were worse and more plentiful.
You don't play on my shard then... Once they "smell" someone is doing spawns they are running around like a bunch of hungry vultures for weeks... trying to get you... that's how it is on my shard.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can't buy them if they are never for sale... If no one is ever doing them or selling the scrolls because they don't like getting PK'd then you can't buy the damn things no matter what their cost and some of us don't get anything from the roof or Lady Mel but 1 in maybe 100 runs... who has time for that ****? And if I did get something chances are I'd want to keep the damn thing not sell it.
i have never had a problem buying a scroll Siege or otherwise.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i have never had a problem buying a scroll Siege or otherwise.
You probably don't do much with pets then... and Siege is a whole other fruit there... apples and oranges... that is.

And I like many others can't afford the prices on Atl.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i will say this then step out of the thread, if you are unhappy with the state of the game then you should quit. don't let something you do for fun make you angry, frustrated or sad. at that point its something you are doing because you have to (addiction)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You probably don't do much with pets then... and Siege is a whole other fruit there... apples and oranges... that is.
you caused me to come back. MalagAste, i do everytingin this game on multiple shards, i have 10 fully trained tamers and some of them have fully scrolled pets. scrolls are not "must have" though, i have made pets that eat navrey for lunch with 0 power scrolls. if this game causes you this much pain amd suffering, for the love of god, step away and do something you can do without this level of misery.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i will say this then step out of the thread, if you are unhappy with the state of the game then you should quit. don't let something you do for fun make you angry, frustrated or sad. at that point its something you are doing because you have to (addiction)
That's why I play Black Desert Online more than I do UO... only play UO anymore for my friends who are still here if they ask me to or I go to the only thing I somewhat enjoy in UO anymore and that's the EM Events on GLs... Malachi and Elizabella are pretty awesome. Otherwise, I haven't been playing much... I tried to do the Krampus thing but got annoyed after spending 2 hours working towards his spawn just to get a slap in the face with a bag a few coins and gems... 9 out of 10 times... after a while that got more aggravating than enjoyable so I said forget this ..... and I bought what I wanted from others and went back to playing BDO ...... WAY more fun lot less frustrating.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you caused me to come back. MalagAste, i do everytingin this game on multiple shards, i have 10 fully trained tamers and some of them have fully scrolled pets. scrolls are not "must have" though, i have made pets that eat navrey for lunch with 0 power scrolls. if this game causes you this much pain amd suffering, for the love of god, step away and do something you can do without this level of misery.
I had a passion for UO for a great great many years... but of late all it has become is a massively annoying grind waste of time and energy for little to no reward... I don't want to play Multiple shards... I don't want to have to ever go to Atl.... and that sewer... I would rather play on my home shard and stay there... But I also do NOT want to play UO solo... if I wanted to play a solo game I'd be playing Skyrim more... but yes my love of UO has declined to an all time low.

My guess is they are afraid to add all the stuff to spring clean they need to for fear many of us will just dump a ton of things and be free to start dropping tons of accounts.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
We are all in the same bag, and most of us like it..Else we would not be here. UO is a TOUGH game from these perspectives. Some of the content is tough..Not easy..Takes time and effort and risk. Getting PK'ed is in that equation, part of the game forever. There is some poor planning, that is also a given. Including pet PS fiasco. That has been debated with the PK'ers before, with endless posts etc, ad nauseum. You have the right to be angry/upset about what you are stating, getting Pked etc. PK is not the only part of the game, there are a lot more things and content. If you think this is bad why don't you check out some other games and see what the PK there is like? I'll tell you : A lot worse. At least in UO you have options that are not PK, as other posters above said.
We all have been upset with game content one time or another. We did not quit. I do champ spawns when time allows, have gotten PK'ed once, then another time the same PK'er at a different Fel spawn helped me by "protecting" so we both got a crapload of PS, and did not PK me. Part of the game that we accept, adds INTENSITY to the game.
Mistakes in the game? I think I am champion of mistakes :
=Not reading up on value of items before selling for instance. Like selling a Dread Mare a little while back to buy regs for my imbuer, for 20 M? Then next week checking for going value for these and finding current standard pricing, and buyer ignoring that he bought the Dread?
=Selling a high stats black Cu for 32 M? Reason ? the cold resist was 70, but Energy resist 83..And me being in a hurry to sell.
=Buying a rare expensive pet, being unaware that these CAN come with only one level of training, yep paying mint for the pet?
I OWN these mistakes, they were MINE and all mine. That I was taken for a ride? Yes. It was not the game, it was my laziness about checking up things. That I feel guilty I screwed up? YES! But I lived through this, and learned. This game is about learning.
Each time I learned a lesson, though an expensive one.

In your case, get into a good guild, that has some PVP, and/or talk to your PKers: They would be glad to "protect" and take part in the PS getting. I bet they would be glad to help you. Do this at least for now.
Who knows in the future pet PS may change. (They are for PETS after all..).
The challenge of the game is that you need to do a little due dilligence checking before you buy or sell things, or do some high end content. Where can you do this? HERE in Stratics. Lots of threads, many are current. Ask questions. You ask one question, regardless how simple or silly, and you will get an entire thread of answers.
I bet you will not get this level of help ANYWHERE in ANY game, as lots of people guard game secrets due to competitiveness, and will not openly post them..
=Etc..etc..
To make a post like this I know two things : One you are really angry/pissed. The other thing is that I can see you subbing again, since it looks that you got the taming bug in your blood, in addition to the UO bug as we all have. You are a UOaddict, like all of us here.
Also you discovered accidentally why a lot of us DO NOT WANT to post at the "official UO forum". Lots of wax in the ears there, and "thread is closed" oligarchy..
Resub when things cool down, and POST here in Stratics for what you need, including help etc.
And by the way : GL is not a low pop shard. Its just people do not bank sit a lot, and actually do content. There are several guilds there and they are there mostly every day, after work hours and weekends a lot. Yell at the gen. chat and you will be able to join in..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Also : If you do some content the WRONG way, or the way that YOU think is right, then you sustain the consequences. It has always been this way, for decades..There are many ways to do content, and getting together with others one way or another is one of them.
No easy PS is not the end of the pet system, and even the end of the pet system is not the end of the game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You don't play on my shard then... Once they "smell" someone is doing spawns they are running around like a bunch of hungry vultures for weeks... trying to get you... that's how it is on my shard.
There are so many spawns in T2A.

They looking for one now on LS.
upload_2019-1-26_14-25-48.png

Nobody will find them.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Back to the original post. Why I see the game is not dying. There's no sense of desperation. They aren't selling shard shields. They aren't selling uber weapons. They aren't directly selling gold. Everything is moving along as it always has. Many things they could sell us would be easy to do but aren't happening while BS maintains it's version of balance. There's no rats deserting the sinking ship. If you see the writing on the wall you know you'd be looking for something better, or at least steady work, even if it paid less. The population, on Legends at least, is growing with many new names and houses. Selling newbie items has increased on my vendors. Low end but decent weapons, armor, repair deeds, recall scrolls etc are selling again. I don't follow what they tell us, I follow what's actually happening. The art and other aspects have greatly improved. Will it end someday? Probably, and many of us will flood some unprepared free shard lol. But we will see death throes and desperation coming outta UO for a long time before that. If UO was at a critical time I think Mesanna might actually engage the community on a much higher level lol. The biggest problem with UO, in my opinion, is EA doesn't give a rat's ass about it and acts like they don't even own it. No promotion at all. UO just isn't talked about or brought to anyone's attention. Plus BS has very little control over EA (Origin store etc) so the people making the decisions aren't really even involved in UO. UO is still looking to hire people. There's a wealth of 3rd party sites doing their thing. We all know the "Avatar" is working 24/7 lol. UO is really EA's only MMO and there's a lot that goes with that. EA is maintaining it's MMO capabilities and patents related to that. I don't think EA would want to rebuild that infrastructure in the event they get some grand MMO idea. BS is really putting out an effort with new interesting content and even EM events. Doesn't sound like the end days to me. I think in the case of UO we'll see it coming. Most games that's not the case but there is a real desire on BS and evidently EA's part to keep it breathing.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Back to the original post. Why I see the game is not dying. There's no sense of desperation. They aren't selling shard shields. They aren't selling uber weapons. They aren't directly selling gold. Everything is moving along as it always has. Many things they could sell us would be easy to do but aren't happening while BS maintains it's version of balance. There's no rats deserting the sinking ship. If you see the writing on the wall you know you'd be looking for something better, or at least steady work, even if it paid less. The population, on Legends at least, is growing with many new names and houses. Selling newbie items has increased on my vendors. Low end but decent weapons, armor, repair deeds, recall scrolls etc are selling again. I don't follow what they tell us, I follow what's actually happening. The art and other aspects have greatly improved. Will it end someday? Probably, and many of us will flood some unprepared free shard lol. But we will see death throes and desperation coming outta UO for a long time before that. If UO was at a critical time I think Mesanna might actually engage the community on a much higher level lol. The biggest problem with UO, in my opinion, is EA doesn't give a rat's ass about it and acts like they don't even own it. No promotion at all. UO just isn't talked about or brought to anyone's attention. Plus BS has very little control over EA (Origin store etc) so the people making the decisions aren't really even involved in UO. UO is still looking to hire people. There's a wealth of 3rd party sites doing their thing. We all know the "Avatar" is working 24/7 lol. UO is really EA's only MMO and there's a lot that goes with that. EA is maintaining it's MMO capabilities and patents related to that. I don't think EA would want to rebuild that infrastructure in the event they get some grand MMO idea. BS is really putting out an effort with new interesting content and even EM events. Doesn't sound like the end days to me. I think in the case of UO we'll see it coming. Most games that's not the case but there is a real desire on BS and evidently EA's part to keep it breathing.
:ten:..

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm waiting for the Martian Dreams expansion, aren't you?

This has been a post from Laura, official catch phrase, "Did you miss me? Were you aiming?"

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good evening/Morning,

Thoughts?
I doubt UO will close over some logical reason. It has a small but healthy and very loyal playerbase.

It will rather close over some illogical action plan where it ends up in the red zone no matter if it makes half or double what it makes today.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe we were told that Mesanna will be the LAST UO Producer... I am not sure... she's at least as old if not slightly more so than me... so no matter what happens 10 to 15 years is probably about all we will get... and I'm not sure how well she is anymore health wise but that's something to keep in mind.

Granted I should hope they would reconsider that and make Kyronix the producer should Mesanna ever have to step down... but you never know... and if she did Misk would probably go with her.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:rolleyes2:

2019 has already been planned out. So much so that they're telling us about it...in advance! *gasps*

:arr::pirate: