• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Game is balanced. Add more stuff to pvp over (other thread locked)

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So for a while now, I have been kicking around the idea of creating a sort of UO PvP league website that would host several different styles of tournaments, leagues, exhibition fights, and whatnot. It would be all inclusive and have different types of rules to support all skill levels. I can explain in more detail to someone with time and technical ability.

We have been abandoned by the developers of this game as they will always cater to their RMT overlords. The only way to create meaningful content for PvP is to do it ourselves.

Unfortunately, my web development skills are lacking as I specialize in legacy desktop software tools(mostly C# winforms). However, I believe my design ideas to be solid. I don't really have a lot of time to devote to the coding and moderation of this but I would be happy to work with somebody with the time and skills to try to get this off the ground. DM me if you want to hear more, but only if you you have the skills to help. Ideas are great, but I have been involved in enough software projects to know that ideas are the enemy of progress until an alpha product has been produced.
I love that idea, I'd participate. Unfortunately I don't think I have any of the skills you need to get it up and running.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree on the skill stuff, but I don't have anything solid backing that up. More skill to play with = more fun temps = more fun to play for me.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
When people talk about Toxicity these days, it can usually be interpreted as, the person describing this situation has not learned how to deal with life.

Not enough life experience, been mollycoddled in an online virtual social media background all of their life, not learned how to interact with real people.

The problem is not the pvpers, it is the person who cannot deal with life.
I disagree, I have never been coddled but I don't see the need for SOME (the small minority of PvPers) to have the childish chats that they have in gen chat. Most people are using discord now days so why not take all of the bickering and name calling that the FEW of them do to Discord. They are obviously just doing chat pvp during those instances so its not like they are missing something when they tab to Discord. Quite frankly, some of them sound like they are on a grade school playground.

gen chat player 1: "Bro why u running like a little ! Go back to mommy and come back when u can pvp like a man"
gen chat player 2: " Whatchu talking about, stop the ganks and come and fight me one on one for a plat"
gcp1: "Why so u can run in ur house and hide like u always do? U suck so bad u should quit, bet u suck in rl too sitting in mommies basement"
gcp2: "offer stills stands.....but ur too much of a to fight me one on one without ur gank squad"

And this continues for a long time with others jumping in. It's annoying and not something that everyone wants or needs to see. They can do that in discord/icq/teamspeak/vent or whatever other means of communication. It has nothing to do with anyone being coddled or not being able to deal with life, its just that they left the elementary school playground a long time ago.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I disagree, I have never been coddled but I don't see the need for SOME (the small minority of PvPers) to have the childish chats that they have in gen chat. Most people are using discord now days so why not take all of the bickering and name calling that the FEW of them do to Discord. They are obviously just doing chat pvp during those instances so its not like they are missing something when they tab to Discord. Quite frankly, some of them sound like they are on a grade school playground.

gen chat player 1: "Bro why u running like a little ! Go back to mommy and come back when u can pvp like a man"
gen chat player 2: " Whatchu talking about, stop the ganks and come and fight me one on one for a plat"
gcp1: "Why so u can run in ur house and hide like u always do? U suck so bad u should quit, bet u suck in rl too sitting in mommies basement"
gcp2: "offer stills stands.....but ur too much of a to fight me one on one without ur gank squad"

And this continues for a long time with others jumping in. It's annoying and not something that everyone wants or needs to see. They can do that in discord/icq/teamspeak/vent or whatever other means of communication. It has nothing to do with anyone being coddled or not being able to deal with life, its just that they left the elementary school playground a long time ago.
Dunno if that's a real chat dialog but it's spot on for atl Gen chat haha

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dunno if that's a real chat dialog but it's spot on for atl Gen chat haha

That's pretty much the case on Siege too, usually from the "visitors". The actual residents of Siege are grownups...mostly lol

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hiya, people are all different, and you learn how to deal with them all.

As my best example for you, think about this question;

Is there one single possible thing that anyone could type ingame, that could possibly upset you?
The answer for me is no.
I hope it is for you.
You learn to filter, you learn to judge, understand people for what they are, you can ignore.
They may be your type, they may not be, you may want to hang out with them, you may not - but you should know how to deal with every type of person, do your thing, let them do theirs, and not let anything external affect you?

Even in the example you gave, there is a certain amount of humour going on in there, it may not be your style, but to others, they are probably giggling away at that.
{Just to add, a lot of what pvpers type, is provocation, designed to make the opponent lose focus at an important moment, so it has tactical reasons also, or just to get them back into a fight, it's just their way of doing things}.
It's like my two young boys, they have unlimited energy, they cause chaos, they fight, they mess around, but boy do you miss them when they aren't there.

Anyone that goes to the lengths of being offended, or affected, or finding that toxic, needs to actually go back to school, and learn how to filter it, develop a thicker skin, or find their way of going through life doing their thing, and ignoring the noise. That was ultimately, the whole point of school. :)

ps. And just to add, I'm sure you know, nothing changes when you leave school. Company life is the same, board-rooms are the same, politics are the same, sports environments, we never leave that playground whether you like it or not. This is all just human nature, UO just reflects it. I'm not religious, but one thing the bible completely gets, is human nature.

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It doesn't upset me, its just annoying and I go to the help channel when they get stupid on there. I was just replying because not everyone is coddled or unable to interact with others. To each their own but I still see it as unbelievably childish being that most UO players are in there 30's or above. I have played many games that have non-consensual PvP but I would have to say that UO PvP chat is the most childish hands down. I play EVE Online more than anything now and getting ganked and killed is a way of life but rarely do I see local chat turn into what UO gen chat does. UO gen chat is just another means that drives away players regardless of the fact that you believe everyone needs to get thicker skin. I personally think they need to grow up but your opinion is just as valid as mine.

I also disagree that nothing changes when you leave school. The majority of people do change and grow up but you always have those that don't. I guess they always find their way to gen chat lol.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m a firm believer in live and let live

If your neighbor blasted thier music (that is from a different culture than yours) ever night and it went on until 3am every damn night would you just learn to deal with it get thicker skin ? Lame example but this has been happening to me here in Ca. Completely inconsiderate people.

There are limits and a point to where it just becomes disrespectful to everyone. Gen chat on alt is sometimes way over the top lol

Life needs to be moderated that’s why we have laws and rules

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So for a while now, I have been kicking around the idea of creating a sort of UO PvP league website that would host several different styles of tournaments, leagues, exhibition fights, and whatnot. It would be all inclusive and have different types of rules to support all skill levels. I can explain in more detail to someone with time and technical ability.

We have been abandoned by the developers of this game as they will always cater to their RMT overlords. The only way to create meaningful content for PvP is to do it ourselves.

Unfortunately, my web development skills are lacking as I specialize in legacy desktop software tools(mostly C# winforms). However, I believe my design ideas to be solid. I don't really have a lot of time to devote to the coding and moderation of this but I would be happy to work with somebody with the time and skills to try to get this off the ground. DM me if you want to hear more, but only if you you have the skills to help. Ideas are great, but I have been involved in enough software projects to know that ideas are the enemy of progress until an alpha product has been produced.

Couldn’t that be done here ?

I’m not trying to create more work for the mods here lol

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree on the skill stuff, but I don't have anything solid backing that up. More skill to play with = more fun temps = more fun to play for me.
You forgot to add "= more difficult to balance appropriately" onto the end of that. =p

skill bonus increase should probably be hard-capped somewhere between 50-80 skill increase.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'd be o.k. with the addition of shardbound PS that tops out at 130. Make the Khaldun spawn drop a 100 to skill scroll as well after the halloween event is done.

Hell, given the armor insanity that they introduced with legendary's what's stopping them for upping skill points.

Fel side only of course.

i'd bring back sigils and town control as well, if tied to something useful and worth having and keeping up, be it a buff or swag.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Cross server pvp would be cool. Have a instanced spot in game where you can go to pvp regardless of shard. Like WoW. Id pay extra for that :)

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instanced pvp sounds great. Battlegrounds to que from multiple servers with rewards would be amazing.

Arnold I agree with you that we need something to fight over, sadly that might just have to be spawns? I mentioned this in the locked thread: cross servers for facets without housing and all dungeon servers. Sure this would hit the transfer token economy but wouldnt it be great to have fights all day on giant dungeon server or T2a server?

There is just too much content in the game and way too many servers. You go through t2a or ilshn, fel dungeons -no one is there on multiple servers. By combining all those servers in to one it makes the economy more competitive. West coast, East coast, Europe and Asia/Oceanic... or just make all of North America one server.

I don't see the point of the devs putting khaldun in trammel. I think it was a horrible decision. Risk in this game just doesn't exist like it used to.

For parry: Just nerf evade and bring the dex requirement for parry up to 125 real dex and I'll be happy. Also, not being able to evade with mage weapons. If that's the case make use best weapon skill bows again so I can fit bush parry on all my dexxers and brolis.

In regards to Time of Legend's expansion: what was the point in that expansion if the devs just nerfed the drop rate of all the nameless legendaries that were promised with it''s release? REFUND.

Sure you can make pvp suits with 50-100m (you can make suits for less than this *looks at broli and necro*) but the guy with 150 hpi/211 stam/150+ mana is going to last longer than ImbuedsuitMcGee.

Get rid of those fish pies or make them able to buy on all fish mongers in Britannia.

Refinements should be able to add to any armor. I don't understand why u have all different sub classes (plate, bone, studded) just make me more accessible to the common player.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remove fish pies from pvp. They eat too much dmg.

Heavily nerfed shatter pots, troll tactics.

Heavily nerfed evasion from PvP damage, everyone has evasion because every 20 seconds u can hit a button that avoids damage, even if it's 500 points of damage. Run away, rinse repeat. I say this as someone with evasion on the majority of my chars.

Add some things to fight for, rewards, items, etc in towns, dungeons, wherever.

PvP becomes ALOT more fun. As it sits, fights are just so boring, dump, evade, dump again, apple, try to dump someone on evade and apple timer, try to dump someone else who evaded, evade message pops over head 14x, run away, evade again get a disarm on anguy to block evade, runs, apples 3 damage magic arrow, 18 damage explosion, evade evade evade. 6 stealthers pop out and nuke ur potions. Logout.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remove fish pies from pvp. They eat too much dmg.

Heavily nerfed shatter pots, troll tactics.

Heavily nerfed evasion from PvP damage, everyone has evasion because every 20 seconds u can hit a button that avoids damage, even if it's 500 points of damage. Run away, rinse repeat. I say this as someone with evasion on the majority of my chars.

Add some things to fight for, rewards, items, etc in towns, dungeons, wherever.

PvP becomes ALOT more fun. As it sits, fights are just so boring, dump, evade, dump again, apple, try to dump someone on evade and apple timer, try to dump someone else who evaded, evade message pops over head 14x, run away, evade again get a disarm on anguy to block evade, runs, apples 3 damage magic arrow, 18 damage explosion, evade evade evade. 6 stealthers pop out and nuke ur potions. Logout.
The problem is just nerfing evasion is everyone will still be parry mages afterwards and melee and archers will still be low on the totem pole to compete in pvp. The problem is not evasion its parry. By nerfing parry in association with casting schools will enable many more templates to become viable again thus enhancing pvp as a whole. I find what most of what guys want is to keep the status quo of mages being super high tier, news flash mage will always be top template when played by good players. Parry is not needed to be a good mage, its just a easy button crutch.

Second shatters are perfectly fine other then the timer should be char based not a cooldown. What I mean is once a player is hit by a shatter that person should be immune for 20-30 seconds, that way 7 players cant throw shatters at one person together.

Poison needs to be adjusted where it doesn't take 5-15 pots to cure one DP/LP. Make it easier to cure and put cure potions on a cooldown like heal potions, that way poisoning is still viable.

And yes we need more stuff to fight over, everyone has been saying that since 2005. Unfortunately the devs don't like to add fel only content anymore and havnt since power scrolls. Everything should be better if gotten from felucca then from trammel. Also Bring reds back to pvp, remove attachment of town bonus from governors and give it to the players. There will be no more complaints about cross-shard voting if town bonus is separated. Make each player pay for their buffs and sink millions of gold out of UO.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Consumables are too crucial now. Cure pots are a necessity, refresh pots are a necessity, str and Dex pots are pretty crucial, apples are a necessity to most temps. About the only one you could safely say it isn't 100% needed is heal pots lol.

Yes gen chat is toxic as hell. Dunno what you do about that besides disabling gen chat if ur in fel. I agree it's a problem.

If a town buff existed for fel all my chars would be red

The learning curve is massive, in a 21 year old game where the PvP is heavily based on experience, and the players that PvP have 10+ years of that experience. Another means for PvP to occur where the newer pvpers didn't have to interact with the best so they'd have opportunity to gain necessary experience without being demoralized getting stomped out by the best would be great, somehow. I think some of this occurs in the early part of the day at spawns, but not nearly enough.

And I will go out of my way to help out a new player. Ya I may kill them, but I'll res them not loot them if it was obvious and they don't say a bunch of trash. Give advice where you can , but again experience is the biggest piece.
I think there is a lot of reasons why not everyone is running a red. I think the biggest one is guard zones. They shouldnt be a thing in fel. EVERYONE would be red if they were not a thing. They limit a lot of team play in fel, for example we mostly pvp in yew and we mostly go towards the yew town due to the horrendous house lagg. So we are fighting in GZ, if we were red our whole guild would get guard wacked for x healing each other. That's the biggest problem. Remove guard zone.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Insurance is OP. Please nerf so that players have something other than their ego to PvP over. Less blah, moar clompun. Lat beun lazy pushdug inshur'd spoylt 'Oomies.

Also, Trammel is OP, please nerf so players will hoard less and play more.
Actually, I always believed they ought to market UO to Hoarders to give them something else to do instead of hoarding IRL... I think it could be a useful tool and it could bring more players. We all know there is tons of stuff to hoard in UO. But this is about PvP not hoarding...

Anyway back to the topic... sorry for the intermission.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah man the thing with towns is a pain. Having to wait a week when some guy changes the buff faster casting or swing to 8 dex for his crafter. Sigh.

Poisoning I kinda like because there is just too many escape options right now. They nerfed mortal to dirt. Tbh I would love to have those chain mortals back to kill them bush parry mages/4 6 chiv players. Arch cure and cleanse by fire like never fail no matter what.

Shatter pots, yeah add a cooldown on em like novas or a full minute.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah man the thing with towns is a pain. Having to wait a week when some guy changes the buff faster casting or swing to 8 dex for his crafter. Sigh.

Poisoning I kinda like because there is just too many escape options right now. They nerfed mortal to dirt. Tbh I would love to have those chain mortals back to kill them bush parry mages/4 6 chiv players. Arch cure and cleanse by fire like never fail no matter what.

Shatter pots, yeah add a cooldown on em like novas or a full minute.
They need to make poison effective for mages. Right now unless you apply with a weapon it's fairly useless.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the love of god nerf PARRY in pvp!!!! Its so broken and ruining pvp incredibly bad. No casting school should be allowed to parry higher then like 15-18%. @Bleak @Kyronix

Last edited: