• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RMT discussion moved from the Genesis thread

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes the world is black and white.... (just for reference.. driving teachers are now teaching new drivers that if the flow of traffic on the freeway is 75 even though the sign says 65 you damn well best be going 75 or the CHP will stop you for slowing down traffic... not speeding) so much for black and white....
Its just your line is not supported by the past.
Its not cherry picking but more a line in the sand from past and present opinions.
The reason is not what is written in the TOS but what is supported by the legal team.
I think that might be why EA didn't step in as it should have early on...
The first company that started to sell resources from the game to players was the tip of the ice berg.
E bay for a long time helped this blurred line by letting people list for sale "pixels".
EA didn't stop that ether.
One of the legal sides we have not taken into consideration..
Would anything come back to haunt if people took the matter into their own hands to stop it...
My son pointed out even though EA has it in the TOS as a rule, its inaction on this rule and the breaking there of by anyone.
This might be a legal leg to stand on by "Sellers" Time is a big factor.
There is another reason EA might not be acting on the sellers as all think...
They have been for at least the last 5 years if not longer trying to put UO to Sunset.
Why go after the sellers if they are going to kill off the golden cow....
Tina I agree.
We cant control what Broadsword or EA does about it.
There is also a side of the private sales of game material we don't see going on.
I know Blizzard put its foot down on it's games but its still done...
I am not condoning it, but pointing out we can yell and chastise people for it all we like but till the day when EA takes a stand ether way of the black and white line...
I do not give EJ that much power to create the revenue to bring the game back to its former glory.
The finances still all go to EA, plus Mesanna has been on the prowl for more developers ....
My nephew who is in programming of game development at CSUN to keep up with the industry said it best.
EA has a rep for its hiring for box games then the online side ...
There is little chance the game will pull in "new" tech mavens due to the games age. UO development on a resume might hurt prospects then help later...
This mind you this is from the kid who got me into UO.
But if the tech programs on new gaming is to be believed I doubt she will pull in any who would be willing to work on a game that is as old as UO.
If the doom and gloom kids are right UO is way past its expiration date..
Looking for a community rep is not on their radar as long as they need more team members.
From what I have gleamed from the M&G's is that they have the money its the talent side wanting to join them that is giving them trouble.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Lady Storm ... youre cherry picking

You want to pick and choose to whom a TOS rule should apply. They apply to everybody and quite rightly so. To only apply to some and not others is a minefield and opens the whole system to abuse and leaves room for interpretation that could be considered favouritism.

To apply the TOS as you are suggesting is just plain ridiculous. You are quickly losing credibility in this thread and numerous posters are pointing out the flaws in your stance. Stop now whilst you still have an ounce of credibility left. Seriously.
How do you apply the TOS to all evenly?
Many if not all of the comercial sellers are out of country...
The first guy to make real money off UO took the operation to Asia back before AOS, our laws do not apply to them and because they are on the web...all EA can do is saber rattle.
Your side is the poor dippy who sells a house and gets tattled on is to get the same punishment that if EA could do to the foreign company's...
Lawsuit to bankrupt the guy and ruin his life for a sale that did nothing to hurt the game.??

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The first guy to make real money off UO took the operation to Asia back before AOS, our laws do not apply to them and because they are on the web...all EA can do is saber rattle.
Your side is the poor dippy who sells a house and gets tattled on is to get the same punishment that if EA could do to the foreign company's...
Lawsuit to bankrupt the guy and ruin his life for a sale that did nothing to hurt the game.??
Well, a good start would be, when they find someone who is running an RMT operation, they ban ALL his or her accounts, not just the one. That evaporates their inventory. They can do that regardless of the country the "business" is in.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So what you're saying is....to put things into perspective....

A person robs a bank...

If he's doing it to feed his family it's okay...
If he's doing it because he's greedy it's not okay...

If a person kills someone else...

If he does it because the person he killed is a drug dealer it's okay...
If he does it because he's just a murderer and he enjoys it, it's not okay...

Stealing is stealing....regardless of how you feel about it, regardless if EA/BS whoever acts upon it...if I stole for 20 years and got away with it, does that make it okay? No..it doesn't.

Someone put it in very clear and understandable terms...

We RENT this game....we pay a monthly RENTAL fee to utilize the game and it's features and all of the nice little pixel crack that comes with it...much as one rents an apartment.

If I were to rent an apartment...then take the stove...sell it to someone for money...call the management company and tell them it was broken and they give me a new one...is that okay?? It's not MY stove..it's the rental companies...but I need the money to buy food for my kids...so that's okay...no not really.

Back when I first became a reporter...a very good friend of mine who had been playing since he was in high school was caught duping.....FIRST offense....they banned ALL of his accounts...5 in total.

Selling gold to feed your family is JUST as bad as selling gold to get rich....you're selling something that isn't yours to begin with.

I know there's a lot involved in finding evidence, banning is not something that they take lightly but it needs to be done...paying customer or not, if they lose revenue or not it shouldn't matter....they should want to make the game better for the people they hope EJ brings in...I'm sure they have a lot of stuff planned for EJ, counter-measures that they will implement...making it easier for them to find the cheaters but for one of our own to say ~Oh well it's okay cus this cheater I know went to college on the money he made~ Seriously...what is that saying to any potential new players we might get??

WE are the ones that are still here, supporting this game, paying our rent and trying to make our voices heard.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You’ve completely lost the plot.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lady Storm, I have no control over what EA or Broadsword does about RMT in UO. I can't say here why I don't think they've done anything about it since Draconi left because it would only end up getting me in trouble. However, I am definitely entitled to my opinion that allowing unfettered RMT in UO has not helped the game itself in any way. There has to be a better approach to take to keep people interested in UO and playing other than turning the game into a money-making opportunity for some favored people. Endless Journey will probably provide a temporary bonanza for the RMT folks, but in the long run will it revive UO? Will it infuse enough money into the game to allow Broadsword to hire a community rep and more developers and programmers for UO? Or is it just going to put some more money in a few pockets and nothing else will really change and UO will just limp along for another few years until it does indeed die.

By Jove, I think she's got it!!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
RMT has gone on since day one lol. So now it's an issue? People with tons of extra cash have an advantage? Welcome to life. So we gonna ban people? No. Nobody is getting banned unless they do something that really EA/BS can't possibly ignore, like It would have to be strongly negative terms used in game against select minorities. Like the Japanese, they make money there so that's totally off limits. But as far as I can tell, for example, gay bashing is perfectly acceptable in chat. The other thing that would get you banned is molesting their cash flow. Like duping transfer tokens. That's it. If it's not extremely embarrassing to EA in a way that could spill out into the EA empire or bothering their direct cash flow I wouldn't hold my breath.

Would they ban EJ accounts? Probably, but that's just a situation that doesn't cost them anything anyway and could get out of hand super fast if not monitored. UO is probably right on the edge of making enough to keep the lights on so I wouldn't expect anything major happening that would cost them even one paid account. EJ is an attempt to continue UO's death gasps for as long as possible. What I like about EJ is it gives a kick in the ribs to the free shards. Maybe it won't cripple the free shards but I imagine there's a lot of people that would rather kick around on a real shard than some shard in some guys basement.

To steer back on topic I think RMT is probably good for the game. Lots of people go outside and work and stuff and other wise would have no way of keeping up or being competitive playing a few hours a week. Or just don't want to spend their 4 hours a week of play time mining. Even the script bots gotta pay for their account, well at least till EJ. The whole RMT thing has kinda peaked out anyway. Nothing brings the gold it use too. Not really all that many people are dropping an extra $20 or $40 a month anymore to buy gold. If they were the prices would just keep soaring and that is clearly not the case. Certain 120 scrolls or a slither and such are still worth a few gold pieces but over all prices in UO are pretty much falling off fast. There's so many "rares" out there now that even that has lost it's luster. Everyone wants the Genesis house! You wouldn't get it anyway. There's so many people with insane amounts of gold at this point after 20 years your chances of scoring something like that is about .001 if it were RMT or gold or trade. I'm about 95% sure the Genesis house on Legends was given away. The people that got it are students, as far as I know, so I doubt they dropped a couple grand or even a couple hundred. Like I say I wasn't on the inside on that deal but I'm super sure it wasn't an RMT thing at all. Hey you wanna play Atlantic it comes at a premium.

I guess I'm getting at EA/BS ain't dropping any accounts at this point. If they were we'd hear about it. They're not pulling out the legal team now. They don't even go after free shards. If EA/BS is gonna choke down people paying one month and get 4 months outta it I don't see them taking any real action to ever shake the subscription tree. Mesanna will tell you anything you wanna hear but don't expect her to actually do anything that will cost them a subscriber. That is very clear. But it's a fun discussion ;) Reminds me of Monty Python where the peasants are flinging horse dung in the field debating with King Arthur. You might have the best argument ever but the king will do as he wants and he really doesn't care when it comes to certain topics. You have a lot of long time multiple account holders who actually pay every month (like myself) who could care more about RMT. There's not that clear dark like between good and bad. There's just not enough people who care or agree that RMT is a problem to support the revolution. Certainly not at this point in the game. +1 if you made it this far before replying :p

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get what you all are pointing out...
Let me point out one small thing and ill leave this alone for you all to chew on.
I turn on my old lappys icq and read off all the names of players who have over the years offered and sold items from UO this game would already be shut down.
By your way of thinking.
I agree with you Larisa but the word of law is always under interpretation.
I for one will not be the one to cast the first stone without my lawyer present.
Ok lets say your way is taken Nexus...
Ban all the accounts of ALL players who have sold things from the game for cash.
Do you think the doors would be open in UO?
Ask your fellow posters here if they want me to start listing names of those who have sold items....
I have icq, e mail and sales records on e bay of things that were sent to me for consideration...
I happen to be a happy little pack rat... I keep all that junk on my old lappy...
I don't think you want me to list off all the names I know and have proof of off on here.
Or I can just print off my son's list of sellers who contact him on his icq ....
Say the word Nexus
ill be happy to.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RMT has gone on since day one lol. So now it's an issue? People with tons of extra cash have an advantage? Welcome to life. So we gonna ban people? No. Nobody is getting banned unless they do something that really EA/BS can't possibly ignore, like It would have to be strongly negative terms used in game against select minorities. Like the Japanese, they make money there so that's totally off limits. But as far as I can tell, for example, gay bashing is perfectly acceptable in chat. The other thing that would get you banned is molesting their cash flow. Like duping transfer tokens. That's it. If it's not extremely embarrassing to EA in a way that could spill out into the EA empire or bothering their direct cash flow I wouldn't hold my breath.

Would they ban EJ accounts? Probably, but that's just a situation that doesn't cost them anything anyway and could get out of hand super fast if not monitored. UO is probably right on the edge of making enough to keep the lights on so I wouldn't expect anything major happening that would cost them even one paid account. EJ is an attempt to continue UO's death gasps for as long as possible. What I like about EJ is it gives a kick in the ribs to the free shards. Maybe it won't cripple the free shards but I imagine there's a lot of people that would rather kick around on a real shard than some shard in some guys basement.

To steer back on topic I think RMT is probably good for the game. Lots of people go outside and work and stuff and other wise would have no way of keeping up or being competitive playing a few hours a week. Or just don't want to spend their 4 hours a week of play time mining. Even the script bots gotta pay for their account, well at least till EJ. The whole RMT thing has kinda peaked out anyway. Nothing brings the gold it use too. Not really all that many people are dropping an extra $20 or $40 a month anymore to buy gold. If they were the prices would just keep soaring and that is clearly not the case. Certain 120 scrolls or a slither and such are still worth a few gold pieces but over all prices in UO are pretty much falling off fast. There's so many "rares" out there now that even that has lost it's luster. Everyone wants the Genesis house! You wouldn't get it anyway. There's so many people with insane amounts of gold at this point after 20 years your chances of scoring something like that is about .001 if it were RMT or gold or trade. I'm about 95% sure the Genesis house on Legends was given away. The people that got it are students, as far as I know, so I doubt they dropped a couple grand or even a couple hundred. Like I say I wasn't on the inside on that deal but I'm super sure it wasn't an RMT thing at all. Hey you wanna play Atlantic it comes at a premium.

I guess I'm getting at EA/BS ain't dropping any accounts at this point. If they were we'd hear about it. They're not pulling out the legal team now. They don't even go after free shards. If EA/BS is gonna choke down people paying one month and get 4 months outta it I don't see them taking any real action to ever shake the subscription tree. Mesanna will tell you anything you wanna hear but don't expect her to actually do anything that will cost them a subscriber. That is very clear. But it's a fun discussion ;) Reminds me of Monty Python where the peasants are flinging horse dung in the field debating with King Arthur. You might have the best argument ever but the king will do as he wants and he really doesn't care when it comes to certain topics. You have a lot of long time multiple account holders who actually pay every month (like myself) who could care more about RMT. There's not that clear dark like between good and bad. There's just not enough people who care or agree that RMT is a problem to support the revolution. Certainly not at this point in the game. +1 is you made it this far before replying :p
my point exactly!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what you're saying is....to put things into perspective....

A person robs a bank...

If he's doing it to feed his family it's okay...
If he's doing it because he's greedy it's not okay...

If a person kills someone else...

If he does it because the person he killed is a drug dealer it's okay...
If he does it because he's just a murderer and he enjoys it, it's not okay...

Stealing is stealing....regardless of how you feel about it, regardless if EA/BS whoever acts upon it...if I stole for 20 years and got away with it, does that make it okay? No..it doesn't.

Someone put it in very clear and understandable terms...

We RENT this game....we pay a monthly RENTAL fee to utilize the game and it's features and all of the nice little pixel crack that comes with it...much as one rents an apartment.

If I were to rent an apartment...then take the stove...sell it to someone for money...call the management company and tell them it was broken and they give me a new one...is that okay?? It's not MY stove..it's the rental companies...but I need the money to buy food for my kids...so that's okay...no not really.

Back when I first became a reporter...a very good friend of mine who had been playing since he was in high school was caught duping.....FIRST offense....they banned ALL of his accounts...5 in total.

Selling gold to feed your family is JUST as bad as selling gold to get rich....you're selling something that isn't yours to begin with.

I know there's a lot involved in finding evidence, banning is not something that they take lightly but it needs to be done...paying customer or not, if they lose revenue or not it shouldn't matter....they should want to make the game better for the people they hope EJ brings in...I'm sure they have a lot of stuff planned for EJ, counter-measures that they will implement...making it easier for them to find the cheaters but for one of our own to say ~Oh well it's okay cus this cheater I know went to college on the money he made~ Seriously...what is that saying to any potential new players we might get??

WE are the ones that are still here, supporting this game, paying our rent and trying to make our voices heard.
You are stealing the story lines from Ozark on Netflix! Stop giving spoilers!!!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Let me point out one small thing and ill leave this alone for you all to chew on.
I turn on my old lappys icq and read off all the names of players who have over the years offered and sold items from UO this game would already be shut down.
By your way of thinking.
I for one will not be the one to cast the first stone without my lawyer present.
Ban all the accounts of ALL players who have sold things from the game for cash.
Ask your fellow posters here if they want me to start listing names of those who have sold items....
I have icq, e mail and sales records on e bay of things that were sent to me for consideration...
I happen to be a happy little pack rat... I keep all that junk on my old lappy...
I don't think you want me to list off all the names I know and have proof of off on here.
Or I can just print off my son's list of sellers who contact him on his icq ....
Say the word Nexus
ill be happy to.
I think they'd probably appreciate the advertisement and the new customers lol

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just because its a rule or law doesn't mean it's something thats enforced. For example:

In Arkansas it is illegal to mispronounce the states name

In Iowa it is illegal to be paid as a piano player if you only have one arm.

In Alaska it is illegal to wake a sleeping bear to take it's photo. (That one seems to be common sense to me.)

In Idaho it is illegal to give your sweetheart a box of chocolates weighing more than 50 pounds.

Also to those claiming rmt is killing the game.... it's 20 years old. When it dies it will be due to old age and nothing more.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh yeah, been a long time coming but...

IBTL
As long as the discussion stays rather civil and doesn't devolve into name dropping and stays on the merits or detriments of RMT, you'll be waiting a lot longer. You see one of the freedoms of the Official Forums is we can be a bit looser on some subjects at times.

By your way of thinking.
Say the word Nexus
ill be happy to.

If the game has that much corruption going, then is it worth trying to save? This isn't anything new either, I remember talking with Calvin in his office back at Mythic once, asked him what ever happened with his "List". The answer was if they banned everyone on it, the game would close. I still say they should have done it, I'd rather the game close with some integrity, than decay away slowly with the obvious corruption that's present now. In other words I KNOW they would close the doors, and I'm OK with that, if it's time to switch off the lights, then it's time. It's amazing how much discomfort people will accept when they are afraid of the dark. If UO was to close, we'd get up, go about our day, find new things to do and the world wouldn't end.

As for the names? I wouldn't request or recommend you post them here, but you're welcome to email them to Mesanna. Posting them here would do nothing other than create a lot of controversy, infighting, and likely get you a more than a few account warning points. We can't police the game, but we can have discussion, discourse, and debate. Through it there is a slim chance we can create shifts or nudges in thinking and through that the direction of action of those who can police the game, that's the purpose of this thread and others like it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
As long as the discussion stays rather civil and doesn't devolve into name dropping and stays on the merits or detriments of RMT, you'll be waiting a lot longer. You see one of the freedoms of the Official Forums is we can be a bit looser on some subjects at times.

If the game has that much corruption going, then is it worth trying to save? This isn't anything new either, I remember talking with Calvin in his office back at Mythic once, asked him what ever happened with his "List". The answer was if they banned everyone on it, the game would close. I still say they should have done it, I'd rather the game close with some integrity, than decay away slowly with the obvious corruption that's present now. In other words I KNOW they would close the doors, and I'm OK with that, if it's time to switch off the lights, then it's time. It's amazing how much discomfort people will accept when they are afraid of the dark. If UO was to close, we'd get up, go about our day, find new things to do and the world wouldn't end.

As for the names? I wouldn't request or recommend you post them here, but you're welcome to email them to Mesanna. Posting them here would do nothing other than create a lot of controversy, infighting, and likely get you a more than a few account warning points. We can't police the game, but we can have discussion, discourse, and debate. Through it there is a slim chance we can create shifts or nudges in thinking and through that the direction of action of those who can police the game, that's the purpose of this thread and others like it.
I think people are WAY to wrapped up in this game at times. Wander out and kill a mongbat or something. If I wake up in the morning and the server lets me in, I'm good. My dream would be if BS is actually going to do something do it really well or just let it slide until they can. Other than the jewelry box, which is fairly messed up lol, I think over all BS has been doing more quality work of late. The box did save me a lot of lock downs. I'm not sure what we should really expect outta UO at this point.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You see one of the freedoms of the Official Forums is we can be a bit looser on some subjects at times.
You need to put a non in there. :(

That a cute puppy! Is it from Mesanna? :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You need to put a non in there. :(

That a cute puppy! Is it from Mesanna? :)
What I meant is now there are official forums, Stratics doesn’t have to as constrained.

No Not from Mesanna, from Utica.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO it baffles me that the sale of things in this game is still profitable enough to be dropping books all over every shard and spamming at the bank 24/7...

Honestly it seems to me the number of players still about is dwindling rapidly and the thought that it's still a thing is sad.

Which tells me that there are a lot of folk still willing to drop money on a game that many see as "dead" or circling the drain. I promised myself a year or two ago that I wouldn't be putting any extra money into UO... yet I started up 2 more accounts and bought sovereigns... Guess I prefer giving money to the game rather than giving it to other players...

However I know tons of folk who buy and sell gold. I would never post their names.

There are larger offenses IMO that I'd hope would be addressed than RMT... Such as Hacking, Cheating, etc... but I believe there is some story about that many people use various things other than UOAssist... Some good some not so good... whatever...

What I think would be a much better use of DEV time though would be to fix the issues with lag... which I believe are directly linked to some of the cheat programs people are using... this is far more game breaking than RMT...

and yes RMT have been around since day 1... how many people bought things on EBay? There are still websites out there selling 24/7... But the idea that they would stop this now is laughable.

And like many have pointed out if they actually did would there be more than a handful of people left in game? I rather doubt it... and the single most telling thing is that the spammer who drops all those books and spams 24/7 still must make a good enough living at it to keep it up.

IF no one was buying his crap would he waste his time and energy on it? I mean does it foot the bill for his electric he's using to generate all that power for those bots??? It must.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ill raise you 2 labs who come in at 60 pounds each and a Mainecoon at 30 pounds and will love to make lunch meat of the duck and mouse...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I can throw in 4 cats 2 of which are pushing 20lbs. And 7 goldfish.....

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come to think of it Nala will search the Duck for its squeeker first before she hands it over to the cat...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I’d have more to toss in the mix but I’m forbidden from bringing any more critters home. The Mrs. said if I do, I’ll have to sleep on the porch to make room.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
C48F96F0-76FA-4F00-9638-B5E544DEF870.jpeg 54CB5AFC-50BD-4952-A870-1E0ED1F7B43D.jpeg

Is this a show tell thread ?

Don’t mind the house I’m doing a kitchen remodel (taking forever lol)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well Nala and Kesa have 2 cousins who come visit two Shih Tzu's for back up but Auntie Tinkerbell the mainecoon is boss.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
98CE391D-2910-45BD-B228-1F8773A6A288.jpeg 735BBFF0-5A1A-40D8-8FDB-48D147C18A50.jpeg

Almost forgot about the stinking rodent lol she’s a cool rat very friendly

Can’t really have any other pets in this condo it’s to small

Can’t wait to get a couple blood hounds when we move