• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Out of virtual memory

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Since getting a new laptop, I can barely play UO. I get an "out of virtual memory" message all the time now, when I tried to fire UO up. And yes, I've increased virtual memory by a lot manually, changing it from "system managed"...still this problem remains. Any tips? It's ever so slightly maddening.

Attachments

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
o Add real memory. Check your laptop's memory -- probably accessible via a hatch on the underside of the computer. Some laptops have two slots but only one filled. If that's how yours is, get another memory board that is the same as the one you already have (they're supposed to be matched).
o Check to see if virtual memory is enabled. Use the recommended amount or the maximum amount (which is supposedly some multiple of the actual RAM you have).
o Check your hard drive space.
o If you don't need the dvd player, you can possibly replace that with a SATA hard drive, and you could then put the virtual memory file on that drive. SSDs (Solid State Drives) are faster than actual hard drives.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I now close my browser that starts automatically and log on my accounts and then open the browser back up. That stopped that message for now.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a brand new laptop or just new to you (as in someone give you one of their old ones?) How many other applications do you have open while you play UO? How much stuff is running in the background (like all those automatic updates every software vendor wants running in the background these days)? All that stuff really adds up. I disable as much as I can and I never get client crashes or these sorts of messages.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
I know computers well, I should add.

This is a 1080 GTX laptop with 32GB RAM and several TBs SSD and HD. (GT75VR by MSI)

So adding real memory (ram or hard drive space), seems hardly necessary. This is an ancient game... My 980m asus laptop was fine running UO for 2,5 years. Pretty disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
from what i've heard - not 100% on this one - there's something about old programs and the first 2 gig of ram - like they don't know about the rest so if you've got too many startup memory resident programs, there's no space left

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you meant 32GB of RAM. That's more than enough to run things in RAM without needing virtual memory.

Run the memory diagnostic test with the default settings.

If your computer passes that test, then
open up task manager and make sure you're not running something you don't want/need to be running. New laptops are infamous for running shovelware -- my laptop has these things disabled:
o Microsoft OneDrive
o everything from Cyberlink Corp
o Steam Client Bootstrapper
--
My account is not logged in to Microsoft, so I do not have the overhead of Cortana. Downside: I do not get the benefits of having Cortana.
I am using Windows Defender as my active antivirus (Malwarebytes Free is on-demand)

Download Malwarebytes Free. (You may have to set it to "Free" when you use it the first time; it likes to do "Premium Trial".) Remove malware. Remove "potentially unwanted programs" that you do not actually use.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Stupid suggestion, but did you try just running it as Administrator? That fixes so many issues for me for old games. Administrator and compatibility modes.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Ya it's a weird one. I highly doubt it's on our end at all. With all things being equal sometimes I get the message but usually don't. I do nothing but try again in a few seconds and it'll work. But if you hit the magic ticket and get a random disconnect and then can't get back in I could see it being a problem. With shard transfers getting stuck (which has been around forever), reports of random disconnects, vendor search on Atlantic useless right now and the out of memory notification I think UO might need some serious server work. If we get any upsurge in population from Endless Journey it could be a real hoot.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Win7 64 Bit. Same problem from time to time. Usually i wait a few minutes, then sessions could be run.
I got the feeling that something odd is going on in the starting phase of the system. Maybe handles are locked during Antivir software is starting or something like that.
So beside Windows Defender, Avast is running.
Maybe we can get a common service running on systems with problems.
Problems starts after the taming patch.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well I got the memory message about 4 times in a row after just booting up the computer this morning. Like everyone else I think I have a ton of ram and it shouldn't be necessary to mess with the settings. Normally it was an every now and then occurrence but today was annoying. So I decided to go ahead and read a tutorial about how to properly set you maximum and minimum virtual memory in Windows 10 settings. So far it's been good. I still think the problem is on their end but whatever.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive never seen this error on any PC I played UO on ever. Only thing I havnt used is WIndows 10. Oh and you should never any program start when you boot up, I always turn that off. If you want to open something dbl-click the icons.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
I think you meant 32GB of RAM. That's more than enough to run things in RAM without needing virtual memory.

Run the memory diagnostic test with the default settings.

If your computer passes that test, then
open up task manager and make sure you're not running something you don't want/need to be running. New laptops are infamous for running shovelware -- my laptop has these things disabled:
o Microsoft OneDrive
o everything from Cyberlink Corp
o Steam Client Bootstrapper
--
My account is not logged in to Microsoft, so I do not have the overhead of Cortana. Downside: I do not get the benefits of having Cortana.
I am using Windows Defender as my active antivirus (Malwarebytes Free is on-demand)

Download Malwarebytes Free. (You may have to set it to "Free" when you use it the first time; it likes to do "Premium Trial".) Remove malware. Remove "potentially unwanted programs" that you do not actually use.
I did all this already.. My laptop runs a clean install (2 months ago)... no bloat.. and this sort of stuff surely can't be a problem if I can run just about everything under the sun?

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Computer memory exists in different states. You might have more than enough memory, including virtual memory, but if a program doesn't SEE enough free memory this can happen.

Task Manager < Performance tab < Resource Monitor tab: Is most of your memory allocated to "standby" ? If so this indicates that a program is not releasing reserved memory properly. Microsoft has a handy tool for doing this called RAM Map on their website - RAMMap - Windows Sysinternals

To fix the problem however you need to find the program that is causing it. It's not UO. Uninstall everything you don't use or need and turn off your anti-virus to see if it's the cause too. You'll have to make sure NO programs are set to launch at startup as many will run and check for updates even when not in use, especially the anti-virus programs.
If Battlefront 2 or Witcher 3 have enough RAM... would my RAM be the problem? :D

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Stupid suggestion, but did you try just running it as Administrator? That fixes so many issues for me for old games. Administrator and compatibility modes.
It seems that running it as admin does solve the problem...I just tested it by cramming my RAM with a million programs, and the starting UO as an administrator, and it still works... Must be the culprit then... thanks!!

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had this happen...again...last night to the point i couldn't log into one account. I know rebooting will fix it but i got curious and checked what process were running at the time. I had 2 instances of UOA running with 0 UO clients open. I ended process on the multiple UOA and was able to immediately log in.

It seems like an easy enough workaround.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If Battlefront 2 or Witcher 3 have enough RAM... would my RAM be the problem? :D
It's not necessarily that your RAM is the problem (clearly by the fact you have 32GB), but rather the way UO is coded. I believe this issue exists only in the CC as I've never had the issue in EC. Here is an example of whats potentially happening:

• UO CC is coded 20 years ago, and the engine was never really updated. They most likely never anticipated desktop systems having the enormous amounts of RAM they have now (compared to back then).
  • UO is a 32-bit program. 32-bit programs can only address at most 4GB of RAM in the system. This isn't typically a problem, since the program should start addressing RAM from the first pointer given to it by the OS
  • Your OS (Windows) will use a certain amount of RAM by default. Startup services and programs will also end up using RAM. With 32GB RAM total, you probably aren't seeing any performance hits by this
  • If your system is using > 4GB of RAM, and the RAM it is using is assigned in the first 4GB of addressable memory, UO may choke due to bad coding. Example:
    UO: Hi Windows, I want to run, please give me a memory address to use
    Windows: Hi UO, you can start at 6144 and go from there
    UO: WHOA! 6144 is more than 4GB! You are crazy, Windows! You don't have that much RAM! Let me use Virtual Memory instead.
  • So now UO is looking to load from Virtual Memory (a file reserved on your hard drive the system can use to swap data when RAM is full). Most guides will recommend to set your Virtual Memory to RAM x 1.5. (This practice is not necessary anymore on systems with huge amounts of RAM and SSD's), but lets say you have a 32GB Virtual Swap File. What happens when other programs have data cached in the first 4GB of it? Hint: See above. UO Chokes.
The typical fix I suggest to friends is to resize the swap file (Virtual Memory) to something smaller, especially if you have a lot of RAM and an SSD. Then launch UO as the first thing you open so it hopefully reserves memory or swap in the first 4GB of addressable space.

The other option as Snark suggested, is to use a tool to purge cached/standby RAM and hope it frees up space in the first 4GB of addressable memory.

Now all of this is speculation of course with the way UO is coded, but it is one of the most likely causes of the "Not enough memory/virtual memory" issue I see happen to CC users.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pretty sure a lot of old games have this issue because I love to play old games and get it a lot. It's more along the lines of what kojak said and the fix is just running it as Admin or swapping compatibility modes.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well I got the memory message about 4 times in a row after just booting up the computer this morning. Like everyone else I think I have a ton of ram and it shouldn't be necessary to mess with the settings. Normally it was an every now and then occurrence but today was annoying. So I decided to go ahead and read a tutorial about how to properly set you maximum and minimum virtual memory in Windows 10 settings. So far it's been good. I still think the problem is on their end but whatever.
It took me 5 tries/reboots to log a second character in this morning. :(

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
My point regarding the RAM and the other tips was ...my computer is not the problem. :D

When UO doesn't run for someone, I think we should first look at UO, rather than possible malware on their PC. :p

I have set all UO executables to run in admin mode and it runs flawlessly now without fail, no matter how crammed the RAM is. so it's officially FIXED. :D Evidently, it has to do with privileges. So for anyone who has this problem: run UO/UOassist as an administrator (you can right click an executable and select it to have it always run as such).

Last edited by a moderator:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My point regarding the RAM and the other tips was ...my computer is not the problem. :D

When UO doesn't run for someone, I think we should first look at UO, rather than possible malware on their PC. :p

I have set all UO executables to run in admin mode and it runs without fail, no matter how crammed the RAM is. Evidently, it has to do with privileges. So for anyone who has this problem: run UO/uoassist as ad administrator (you can right click an executable and select it to have it always run as such).
Yea right. I wonder how people played the same UO 10 years ago with only like 100MB of RAM. But alas with everything Broadsword can't sell in the store, they couldn't care any less. Maybe a 50% memory leak reduction token would work. $19.99. Keeps your client smooth for 24 hours before it wears off.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
o Add real memory. Check your laptop's memory -- probably accessible via a hatch on the underside of the computer. Some laptops have two slots but only one filled. If that's how yours is, get another memory board that is the same as the one you already have (they're supposed to be matched).
o Check to see if virtual memory is enabled. Use the recommended amount or the maximum amount (which is supposedly some multiple of the actual RAM you have).
o Check your hard drive space.
o If you don't need the dvd player, you can possibly replace that with a SATA hard drive, and you could then put the virtual memory file on that drive. SSDs (Solid State Drives) are faster than actual hard drives.
I also receive the "Out of virtual memory" message sometimes when trying to launch a second instance of the UO client on my gaming desktop, even though i have 32 Gigs of DDR4-3600 RAM, and i have UO installed on a 1TB SSD with over 500 Gigs left. I also run UO as an Administrator.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
I never launch a second instance and since I put in the admin option, it launches, no matter what. Just launched it while I had Chrome running 87 tabs. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I've been down this road so many times lol. I've got it licked! I found the solution! Then a day or week later it's back. So I'll bide my time before I say X is the ultimate solution. lol While we may actually find some solutions to this it is ultimately a BS/EA problem to rectify. We all hope EJ brings in a flood of new players and I've already seen a lot of new/returning player activity on Legends. But many of these people aren't going to know Stratics even exists to find answers to their problems. They aren't going to get the client to run easily and that will be that for many, end of story. And they should expect to double click the icon and see UO up and running with little further effort. Anyway regardless of the band-aids we find here, that may be quite effective, BS still needs to get their act together especially before EJ.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've been down this road so many times lol. I've got it licked! I found the solution! Then a day or week later it's back. So I'll bide my time before I say X is the ultimate solution. lol While we may actually find some solutions to this it is ultimately a BS/EA problem to rectify. We all hope EJ brings in a flood of new players and I've already seen a lot of new/returning player activity on Legends. But many of these people aren't going to know Stratics even exists to find answers to their problems. They aren't going to get the client to run easily and that will be that for many, end of story. And they should expect to double click the icon and see UO up and running with little further effort. Anyway regardless of the band-aids we find here, that may be quite effective, BS still needs to get their act together especially before EJ.

I don't want to continue to be negative, but I hope new players avoid Stratics for a long time. Stratics opened up to me how many people in this game have hundreds of accounts and RMT. I get it, the site and game are probably still around for it, but it's a serious thing. Hopefully players will get a firm bond with the game before seeing the dark side of it that is a lot of you. I direct players to UO Guide. There's less up in the air answers about straight forward questions and it's a good resource to start answering things yourself in game.

More power to you guys for keeping the game and site alive though.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't want to continue to be negative, but I hope new players avoid Stratics for a long time. Stratics opened up to me how many people in this game have hundreds of accounts and RMT. I get it, the site and game are probably still around for it, but it's a serious thing. Hopefully players will get a firm bond with the game before seeing the dark side of it that is a lot of you. I direct players to UO Guide. There's less up in the air answers about straight forward questions and it's a good resource to start answering things yourself in game.

More power to you guys for keeping the game and site alive though.
I think Stratics, all things considered, is an excellent resource. Anyone who has ever seen Google will find RMT and all that very easily. There's not a game out there you can't exchange cash for gold/items or whatever. It's not a dark secret between Stratics and UO and some industry wide fluke that UO has RMT lol. Personally I really don't care if people RMT or whatever. I'm sure there's a lot of good arguments pro and con, I just really don't care. At least I can explain why I suck at everything because people throw money at their account and has nothing to do with my sucky skills ;) I'm sure BS wanting to do their own forums will probably address much of your concerns. Whenever that happens. I thought it was a big mistake when UO closed their forums originally but that's water under the bridge. What serious game doesn't have a game forum? lol Probably more than I realize possibly. *shrugs*

ANYWAY.... back on topic a bit. Today I had a a program or 2 going and tried to open UO. This is after I set up virtual memory on my machine AND launched it as administrator, I got the out of memory gump again. SOOO I decided to run Benchmark just for a what the heck, lets see what happens thing. Benchmark rated my computer performance superior to 80% of the computers that have tried Benchmark. I'm assuming Benchmark reflects some better systems I'm up against, in general, of people concerned about performance. 80% isn't impressive or anything but it certainly should put me in the category to run UO easily lol. So my finger is still pointed at BS having issues and I hope they address them. Seriously over the weekend Atlantic was having issues with shard transfers (transfers can be a little glitchy anytime though) and vendor search was about useless with a surge in population due to that rares fest thing. Not that I really noticed Atlantic being *all* that busy. But it illustrates the problems they are gonna have if we get any population surge from EJ. This seriously needs to be addressed. Lots of glitchy server issues that remain for me even after the mysterious patches we've been getting that seem to be server related. Yeah I have adapted to pretty much be able to get into the game when I want, but something is off. I shouldn't have to close all open programs, adjust virtual memory and run as administrator to just launch UO :) I don't have some uber l337 puter but it should clearly be good enough for UO. I had none of these issues a month or two ago so something went wrong.

Last edited:

JobriathCairn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The culprit for me was Chrome. If i log in or reboot, multiple clients work no problem. If I had Chrome open to view a video or some such, it seems like it holds onto memory even after you exit out. A reboot fixes it, or don't log into Chrome during a UO session. Not sure if it happens with other browsers.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long has this been happening to people? I can't log in to CC for the same reason, but since I play EC and only log in to CC when I want to re-guild my occasional shard hopper it's not a probem.
However, before I get the 'out of memory' I get a message 'soundLegacyMUL.uop: Error 39013312' According to my pc that file was last updated 8th November.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me too have problem with UO now. It's not a problem of my or your computer. It's somthing the depend from the servers i thing. It's a problem of too many people for beeing a computer problem ( Lacking memory or other things): I think trhat we can only waiit..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Anyone know what we can do to help the UO team with this the most? Is there like a bug report and app they like to use?

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you run UO Assist and have a shortcut with 'Run As Admin' checked, that doesn't mean you are running UO as Admin. You have to right click on Client.EXE and select properties. There you can tell the system to run UO as Admin. When this first started I did that and have no issue ever running 2 clients along with two UO Assist running. But one thing I have seen, in the application log assist errors every time you start it. This has been happening since he patched it to run 2 clients with it. I think this is more the issue then anything. But telling Windows 10 to run client.exe as admin solves the whole thing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
If you run UO Assist and have a shortcut with 'Run As Admin' checked, that doesn't mean you are running UO as Admin. You have to right click on Client.EXE and select properties. There you can tell the system to run UO as Admin. When this first started I did that and have no issue ever running 2 clients along with two UO Assist running. But one thing I have seen, in the application log assist errors every time you start it. This has been happening since he patched it to run 2 clients with it. I think this is more the issue then anything. But telling Windows 10 to run client.exe as admin solves the whole thing.
No it doesn't. Not the point anyway. This is a new issue and UO needs to have it fixed before EJ starts. Can't have returning or new player locked out right from the start. That won't get you any future customers. Pretty much if I'm running nothing but UO I'm good everytime. But if I have anything running, like if I have FB Gameroom or something going I forgot about I have maybe a 50/50 chance. Had this been a long time problem it would be one thing but it's not. BS broke something lately.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
I've changed all UO executables to "run as admin" by default. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well then run a Mac, and play Farmville
I can always get in. Usually I have other programs going when it happens. The tricks help but isn't a final solution. I could get in like 99% of the time before I did anything. But you can't expand the subscriber base effectively with this kinda crap going on. They broke it and they can fix it. I give the BS Team a lot of slack but this has to be fixed. It may be fixed for all I know cause it hasn't happened to me in a week or or so. I use to collect pigs in Farmville but haven't played it since before they came out with Farmville 2 or whatever it's called. :p Sometimes the brainless games are just the perfect thing to kill some time. Anyway there's no way to expect new players to go through a bunch of stuff to get the game to run, they will just say screw it.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After I used this, NTCore's Homepage I can have multiple Chrome tabs open, ICQ, Discord, my home camera system, Steam, be running another game, and still open UO 100% of the time even multiple clients. It was seriously the answer I have been looking for for years!

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online service, Ultima Online code, or Ultima Online web site that Broadsword Online Games does not specifically authorize you to modify."

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After I used this, NTCore's Homepage I can have multiple Chrome tabs open, ICQ, Discord, my home camera system, Steam, be running another game, and still open UO 100% of the time even multiple clients. It was seriously the answer I have been looking for for years!
That may be the answer, but it's an answer I would be very wary of using. It most definitely is not within the rules, potentially may prevent you patching the client when new publishes and attendent patches come out and conceivably could even get your account banned.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It most definitely is not within the rules, potentially may prevent you patching the client when new publishes and attendent patches come out and conceivably could even get your account banned.
What rules and why could it get an account banned?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What rules and why could it get an account banned?
Well, maybe I'm mistaken, but I followed the link and read what it does.
I'm not certain, but patching client.exe seems like something only Broadsword should be doing?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yea, I wouldn't use that either. If running on admin doesn't work look up your OS and check what compatibility mode you can run it under in addition to admin using google. Just use 2 GB in the keywords because that's the source of the issue.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I personally feel that I shouldn't have to search for a "fix" for something that (based on the number of players affected) is OBVIOUSLY a problem on UO's end. @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak GET THIS FIXED IMMEDIATELY! I suspect more players are considering leaving/scaling down accounts than will EVER be brought in by the "Endless Journey" y'all say y'all spending all your time on.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like there are more and more glitches in the game all the time?