• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Throw a Bone to PVP

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thread raiding. Dont like it?

Im not against PvP enhancements. They tried to get a new template into PvP but yall wanted it nerfed to uselessness.

They put in a mace from Doom. Oh Noes I got killed by a macer. Cant have that. Nerfed to uselessness in the game.

When they add something, learn to adapt instead of whining. Maybe more players will come to Fel.
What new template? TAMERS WERE ALREADY IN PVP. They just weren't very common.

Mace from Doom? You mean the Glenda? I'd have to go back through threads from when the Doom revamp was added, but I'm pretty sure there major issues with it.

Learn to adapt? Really? Yeah, great idea. Let's adapt to something broken in pvp, like the Phoenix, or the enhancements pets were given as a result of the revamp. Pets became far too powerful, which is why they were nerfed in a pvp setting.

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
And who are the ones farming it? Pretty sure it's not the "Trammies"; at least, not to the volume that some people do it.
Granted, they aren't as...we'll call it "efficient" at is as a handful of people have become, but the point remains the high end items they get off roof and what have you are most readily bought by pvpers.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thread raiding. Dont like it?

Im not against PvP enhancements. They tried to get a new template into PvP but yall wanted it nerfed to uselessness.

They put in a mace from Doom. Oh Noes I got killed by a macer. Cant have that. Nerfed to uselessness in the game.

When they add something, learn to adapt instead of whining. Maybe more players will come to Fel.
Tamers have been around for a long time in pvp. You did not develop a new template. I have seen Archers with Ninja death striking people with rune beetles dumping on the players. When S/E came out people ran a Bushido Parry tamer with 4/6 casting deahstrik and a hyriu.

The one thing that has not changed is the content. Most of the PvP templates are based around the terrain.

In WoW and Albion your Open Field template is a lot different than your arena template.

Dungeon fights are dominated by AOE templates and bards.
Yew Gate/open field is dominated by Archers, and Ninjas and melee.

Also Most real pvpers do not want to play a tamer either I quit when the tamer patch hit because I did not feel like fighting pets every battle and chose to play a different game that was more balanced. The only thing the Tamer patch did was create a new market for powerscrolls and allow pvpers to have more money to spend on legendary armor(which is obtained in tram)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also Most real pvpers do not want to play a tamer either I quit when the tamer patch hit because I did not feel like fighting pets every battle and chose to play a different game that was more balanced. The only thing the Tamer patch did was create a new market for powerscrolls and allow pvpers to have more money to spend on legendary armor(which is obtained in tram)
I ended up playing some games on my PS4 when the revamp was added. Didn't want to fight pets non-stop + I wanted a break from UO anyway.

Was it nice that powerscroll prices went up? Yeah. Spawns were ridiculously profitable for a time after the revamp, even more so than Shadowguard.

1) Get scrolls
2) Use them on your pets
3) use pets for content they couldn't previously do, like Shadowguard
4) ???
5) PROFIT!

Also, @Pawain:

If you think pets are so weak now, feel free to PM me so I can set up a demonstration of how wrong you are.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I ended up playing some games on my PS4 when the revamp was added. Didn't want to fight pets non-stop + I wanted a break from UO anyway.

Was it nice that powerscroll prices went up? Yeah. Spawns were ridiculously profitable for a time after the revamp, even more so than Shadowguard.

1) Get scrolls
2) Use them on your pets
3) use pets for content they couldn't previously do, like Shadowguard
4) ???
5) PROFIT!

Also, @Pawain:
When UO came out in the first 5 years they did the following for pvp

· Dread lord Pvp System.
· Pk Bounty system
· Added (Khaldun)
· Added Factions(If you own the town you get blessed armor for three weeks) and it looked cool
· Took Away Stat Loss (if you die in a dungeon)
· Added Champ Spawns
· Added AOS ( again was a huge huge boost to the pvp)
· Made Siege
· Nerfed Siege

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here are two suggestions for arenas that might be worth considering as a way to get more people interested in UO PvP:

1. Allow you to issue a duel invitation from anywhere in the game, not just while you're standing at the arena stone. (Not my idea. Cazador suggested it here: Looking for info on the PvP Arenas any links or info please help? )

2. Allow betting on the results of an arena duel.
I was going to bring up arenas in my first reply, I"m glad you did, I'm interested in seeing the responses.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to bring up arenas in my first reply, I"m glad you did, I'm interested in seeing the responses.
You get different types of PvPers.

Guys like AJ love duelling.
A duel to me, is too friendly and too confined, no emotion is created, I need to feel emotion when I pvp, that's the point of it, the feeling of winning or losing.

Guys like me, suck at duelling, and love teamplay and objectives to win - I used to love faction mounts, still use mine, and the faction armour etc.
I liked having a goalpost - winning a town in factions or VvV, or winning a spawn.
I also like the idea of being able to equip up via pvp, then you can just pvp, and don't have to pvm if you don't want to.

So I think the response would be 50/50, depending on the type of pvper, for me, I'd prefer something else. An expanded world system, dungeons, improved vvv.

To edit a bit, it depends on how you define arena.
If it is 1v1, I find it confined.
If it's like a Battleground like say WoW - Warsong Gulch 10v10, or Alterac Valley 40v40 - I loved them.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are Not talking about PvP. You are talking about places to PK Players who want to gather their PS...
I don't agree with you, i hate moongate pvp, and i love spawn pvp, 90%+ of the chars used to do spawn are pvp viable, i can make a coon in 10 min with a pvp char (mage with just 25% sdi),

Archer, Mage, Sampire , all if geared can make pvp + pvm(spawns) so it isn't just PK its pvp.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked having a goalpost - winning a town in factions or VvV, or winning a spawn.
I liked battles at the faction strongholds, working as a team to keep the enemies out or working as a team to get into someone else's stronghold. Sneaking around town to see where everyone was and whether the enemies were teaming up to beat us. Grabbing sigils and hoping to get out alive with them and make it back to your own stronghold. Handing out sigils to everyone when all were corrupted so we could all make a big dash to put them back in the towns and know that we had won, at least for a couple of days. And all of this was before there was faction armor/pots/aids for rewards.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys like AJ love duelling.
A duel to me, is too friendly and too confined, no emotion is created, I need to feel emotion when I pvp, that's the point of it, the feeling of winning or losing.

Guys like me, suck at duelling, and love teamplay and objectives to win - I used to love faction mounts, still use mine, and the faction armour etc.
I also like the idea of being able to equip up via pvp, then you can just pvp, and don't have to pvm if you don't want to.
I loved dueling in UO. For me, it's a test of your skill against someone else's. Unfortunately, modern UO has killed dueling - among other things, Casting Focus. Admittedly, I've focused on solo play with various console games - having someone (challenging) to compete against was a rarity for me.

I like "goalpost" pvp as well though. For me, having to work for a victory, whether in a solo or group setting, is what makes pvp fun.

I don't agree with you, i hate moongate pvp, and i love spawn pvp, 90%+ of the chars used to do spawn are pvp viable, i can make a coon in 10 min with a pvp char (mage with just 25% sdi),
Same. Moongate pvp was always something I did when I couldn't get a fight anywhere else, wanted to challenge myself against #s (for the ones who were willing to fight), or was bored.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ill dig you up if I have questions. Thanks

upload_2017-10-17_15-32-2.png

:)

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Explain to me why Glenda should be the only imbuable artifact please. Nearly each time something new is introduced there is a need to have it scaled back down. Unless maybe you think we should just bring WoD archers back or 150 damage ornate axe lightning strikes. Sure, bring back Glenda imbuing and let me do 200+ damage backstabs with a heavy crossbow. If each of these things weren't scaled back during their heyday then UO pvp would be nothing but running around one shotting each other and everything being a crap shoot. You see one item getting toned down (guess what, I can think of three people on ATL still pvping with Glenda), or one template no long having pets teleport, cast at 4/6, while hitting mortals and bleeds WITH a player hitting you.

Pvpers see a collective of ideas that if left untouched completely decimate any skill left in the game. Don't be so short sighted in your opinions.
@Pawain I think you missed this. I'm genuinely curious what your rebuttal to this is.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the short term yes folk tried to get 120 scrolls... some joined large Zerg guilds... but they quickly found out that the "men in charge" .... so to speak only gave out a little pittance of what was to be had... they found out that the high rankings were making a killing off of them and soon quit in disgust... though some lapped up the scraps like dogs.
In 2002 when powerscrolls came out the first 6 months on pacific you couldn't find a spawn not being worked. Lots of pvp, tons of players came to fel that never really experienced it. I know because I was one of them, and trust me I was one of them that attempted 30+ spawns before actually completing one (only to die in the star room to a grinder). Yet, you have people here crying about losing 1 spawn out of 5. I've seen huge guilds 200-300+ members go from complete trammie guilds to spawning pvp guilds, LOP-MEC-TAR-TK-RMP-GOL on pacific just to name a few. Most of these guilds stayed around for years, so you can sit there and say powerscrolls didn't bring activity to fel, but the problem with that is you were too busy playing in tram to know.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In 2002 when powerscrolls came out the first 6 months on pacific you couldn't find a spawn not being worked. Lots of pvp, tons of players came to fel that never really experienced it. I know because I was one of them, and trust me I was one of them that attempted 30+ spawns before actually completing one (only to die in the star room to a grinder). Yet, you have people here crying about losing 1 spawn out of 5. I've seen huge guilds 200-300+ members go from complete trammie guilds to spawning pvp guilds, LOP-MEC-TAR-TK-RMP-GOL on pacific just to name a few. Most of these guilds stayed around for years, so you can sit there and say powerscrolls didn't bring activity to fel, but the problem with that is you were too busy playing in tram to know.
  • UOR 2000
  • Factions 2001
  • Pub 16 2002
  • AOS 2003
And that was the last time Fel got any Content update.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I think you missed this. I'm genuinely curious what your rebuttal to this is.
Really an item is so powerful that imbuing it with one property would make it undefeatable. Now we don't see anyone using it in any part of the game. How does one property do that?

I saw the video, one guy was hitting another guy and killed him. It wasn't wide spread. it's just the thought of something changing that drives all of you out of your holes and want it nerfed. Even though most of you never saw one.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  • UOR 2000
  • Factions 2001
  • Pub 16 2002
  • AOS 2003
What "content" did AoS add to fel?

I know there were several spikes in pvp, but I can't recall any content coming from AoS to fel, other then new itemization, which was game-wide.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really an item is so powerful that imbuing it with one property would make it undefeatable. Now we don't see anyone using it in any part of the game. How does one property do that?

I saw the video, one guy was hitting another guy and killed him. It wasn't wide spread. it's just the thought of something changing that drives all of you out of your holes and want it nerfed. Even though most of you never saw one.
you mean this thread? Glenda - everyone should watch this video

Being able to imbue it wasn't the issue.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • UOR 2000
  • Factions 2001
  • Pub 16 2002
  • AOS 2003
Pretty much off the top of my head, below is a list of the content that I know has been added to Felucca and/or exclusively affects PvPers over the last 12 years.

• Mondains Legacy was released, which added Heartwood and four new dungeons to Felucca: Blighted Grove, Prism of Light, Painted Caves, and Sanctuary.
  • Champion spawn artifacts and Scrolls of Transcendence added. Each champion spawn has its own unique artifacts/decorative items. (Added to list via edit.)

• Stygian Abyss was released, including two new Fel rule-set champ spawns.

• The High Seas booster was released, which added to Fel new large ships, cannons, ship PvP, Corgul the Soulbinder, and fishing for rare fish in dungeons and on the sea to complete sea monger quests or for house display.
  • Forged pardons were added to treasure chest loot.

• The arena system was added, including two new arenas in Felucca.
  • Magincia gained player housing and the Council of Mages stronghold moved to the island of Moonglow.
  • Shame dungeon was revamped.

• Wrong dungeon was revamped.
  • Covetous dungeon was revamped (Void Pool, Cora, Vela).

• Armor refinement components can be stolen from shops in Felucca cities.
  • Added Castle Blackthorn Dungeon. (added to this list via edit)

• Factions was replaced by the Virtue vs. Vice system, with an extensive list of available participation rewards.
  • Traders' Quests were added, which includes an NPC (Slim the Fence) and his rewards which are unique to Felucca.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small yeah. Most of that was not Fel-exclusive content. People won't do Fel Corgul, Scalis, Shame/Wrong/Covetous. Not when Tram versions exist (I won't either, mostly because you can't recall to specific spots in Fel dungeons.)

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
When UO came out in the first 5 years they did the following for pvp

· Dread lord Pvp System.
· Pk Bounty system
· Added (Khaldun)
· Added Factions(If you own the town you get blessed armor for three weeks) and it looked cool
· Took Away Stat Loss (if you die in a dungeon)
· Added Champ Spawns
· Added AOS ( again was a huge huge boost to the pvp)
· Made Siege
· Nerfed Siege
I listed AOS because it revamped the entire pvp system, added insurances, and made it a item base pvp game.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty much off the top of my head, below is a list of the content that I know has been added to Felucca and/or exclusively affects PvPers over the last 12 years.

• Mondains Legacy was released, which added Heartwood and four new dungeons to Felucca: Blighted Grove, Prism of Light, Painted Caves, and Sanctuary.

• Stygian Abyss was released, including two new Fel rule-set champ spawns.

• The High Seas booster was released, which added to Fel new large ships, cannons, ship PvP, Corgul the Soulbinder, and fishing for rare fish in dungeons and on the sea to complete sea monger quests or for house display.
  • Forged pardons were added to treasure chest loot.

• The arena system was added, including two new arenas in Felucca.
  • Magincia gained player housing and the Council of Mages stronghold moved to the island of Moonglow.
  • Shame dungeon was revamped.

• Wrong dungeon was revamped.
  • Covetous dungeon was revamped (Void Pool, Cora, Vela).

• Armor refinement components can be stolen from shops in Felucca cities.

• Factions was replaced by the Virtue vs. Vice system, with an extensive list of available participation rewards.
  • Traders' Quests were added, which includes an NPC (Slim the Fence) and his rewards which are unique to Felucca.
Almost everything you listed has a trammel and felucca version, which means the same stuff can be gotten from either facet. Why would someone bother doing fel mel to get a Crimmy when u can get one in trammel with no risk. The new spawns just added new monsters, still the same power scrolls. Most pvpers don't care for deco upgrades in fel, that is mute. VVV is a disaster and I rather have factions back.

What is being said is there hasn't been any felucca only content since Powerscrolls. Cept for books of truth but that was a event item for a short time. There needs to be updates of content and rewards in fel only. Bring a reason to pvp back to the game, right now its just pointless and boring.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Almost everything you listed has a trammel and felucca version, which means the same stuff can be gotten from either facet. Why would someone bother doing fel mel to get a Crimmy when u can get one in trammel with no risk.
Hmmm. I think I've actually done Lady Mel more in Fel than in Trammel. Seems like that way red characters get to participate as well. And isn't the quality of the loot perhaps a tad bit better than in Trammel because of the risk of being in Fel?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There needs to be updates of content and rewards in fel only. Bring a reason to pvp back to the game, right now its just pointless and boring.
What is missing now from the current list of Fel-only rewards that would breathe new life into UO PvP? Fel-exclusive content currently includes at least the following: power scrolls, stat scrolls, champ spawn artifacts and deco items, higher-value SoTs, some unique dungeon/ocean fish, higher fame, 1000 point luck bonus for loot generation, double resources, VvV rewards (potions, steeds, hair dye, a laundry list of artifacts and other useful equippable items, hooded robes, royal forged pardons, deco items, +10 SoTs, and battle aids), and Slim the Fence rewards. What's not on that list that would entice more people to PvP in Fel?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's not much point in trying to address PvP imbalances if you're not going to address the scripting that causes a lot of it, just saying.
Scripting is a moot point in PvP these days, as it's related to CC, and EC outperforms CC on all fronts anyway, most Dexxer styles have moved to EC, as it just gives them so much extra.

{Most players accused of scripting, speedhacking etc, are just using EC}.

The people really being shafted, are those who play Mages, who use CC and don't script.

Not many, I'm one.
(Ego time, and just to point out I'm not crying about it - the only reason I get by, and do well, is I'm leagues ahead of everyone else at a base level. :) But, I notice it all, I see and feel the differences over time. )
Another Edit - having said that, I have quit PvP again, because it's got stupid, so maybe I am crying, who knows.

Last edited:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is missing now from the current list of Fel-only rewards that would breathe new life into UO PvP? Fel-exclusive content currently includes at least the following: power scrolls, stat scrolls, champ spawn artifacts and deco items, higher-value SoTs, some unique dungeon/ocean fish, higher fame, 1000 point luck bonus for loot generation, double resources, VvV rewards (potions, steeds, hair dye, a laundry list of artifacts and other useful equippable items, hooded robes, royal forged pardons, deco items, +10 SoTs, and battle aids), and Slim the Fence rewards. What's not on that list that would entice more people to PvP in Fel?
VvV rewards that are not Antique.

Roof Items are not obtainable in Felucca.
Doom Items are not obtainable in Felucca.
Illshenar, Ter Mur, Shadowguard, Stygian Abyss, all the Trammel only rulesets that have any decent items, are not available in Felucca.
Event Drops are not obtainable in Felucca.
etc.

Felucca should have the same opportunities as Trammel.

They split the rulesets, then gave all the loot to Trammel, so only did half a job.
- Of course that is going to kill Felucca, if you have one facet that is risk v reward, with no items, and one facet that is no risk v unlimited rewards. The choice is to go for greed for most. It's got nothing to do with the fact one facet is a PvP facet.

Yes - they threw a couple of bones to Felucca, but nothing in comparison to what Trammel rulesets have.

Last edited:

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Awesome. Thanks for showing us the in depth thought process and analysis you're capable of. Touched on one item and not the entirety of the idea that it went along with. The point was that most content additions end up needing scaled back. You can keep leaving some things untouched, until collectively it boils over. Do you not understand how each of these examples (a few examples of many over the years) left unchecked would build up? Cry about the Glenda now, cry about your pony now, just like people cried about their uninterruptible 47 damage holy fists, cried about their WoD archers, cried about whatever OP thing there was. Maybe chivalry was recent enough for you to understand what if Chiv was the same when Glenda came out? 47 damage uninterruptible fists with a 90 damage shield bash/bone crusher and 25 damage orc brute? sweet. I can't see any reason why people shouldn't be doing 162 damage. That's just two changes made within a few months of each other that, if left unchecked, build into something ridiculous.

Now, try to refute what someone says with reasons, examples, numbers, or something other than WAH YOU CRIED BECAUSE YOU DIED. Not the strongest case you can make.

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Is there a corollary to this statement that reads something like, "Trammel should have the same opportunities as Felucca"?
No. Fel was THE land until they gave you an entire facet to play risk free. That IS the reason you play Tram instead of Fel. You get to play entirely risk free with infinite retries and Fel gets...powerscrolls. Giving that rule set every single benefit in the game carries this game further from what it was.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a corollary to this statement that reads something like, "Trammel should have the same opportunities as Felucca"?
Part of me would like to say, sure.
In fact, if you see my previous posts, I've been all for equality between playstyles.

There is a problem however, and it is the single root cause of all of UO's current issues.
Trammel is no risk for immense reward combined with a level of cheating that is huge, and unchecked with no possible redress by the players.
Multibox Events, IDOCS, Scripted resource gathering, scripted dungeon farming, afk this, afk that.
Felucca players can stamp all of these issues out.

So in a sense, Trammel should almost have a far lesser loot table right across the board, to balance off how easy it is, how rife and how possible cheating is.

At the end of the day, Trammel has been designed as a safe haven for players to have an easier life.
To make it get the far more boosted loot table, makes no sense at all.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In fact, if you see my previous posts, I've been all for equality between playstyles.

There is a problem however, and it is the single root cause of all of UO's current issues.
Trammel is no risk for immense reward combined with a level of cheating that is huge, and unchecked with no possible redress by the players.
Multibox Events, IDOCS, Scripted resource gathering, scripted dungeon farming, afk this, afk that.

So in a sense, Trammel should almost have a far lesser loot table right across the board, to balance off how easy it is, how rife and how possible cheating is.

At the end of the day, Trammel has been designed as a safe haven for players to have an easier life.
Id perfer for UO to goto a global Owned by no one Item based game, NO Loot at all. (unless its a cursed item from a spawn) and top tier loot is in pvp only zones.

There is no risk in fel, you die to a monster you lose 20k you die to a player you lose 20k. Either way you lose your money. I would also like to see insurance scale up to average about 100 to 200k per death

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't multi-box.
I don't go to EM events.
I don't do IDOCs.
I don't run scripts.
I don't play afk.
I don't even run UO Assist.

So because I don't do any of those things and yet choose to play in Trammel most of the time, I should have to pay for a far lesser loot table?

Why would I continue to pay for UO under those conditions?

I should have to force myself to learn to PvP and force myself to pay additional money to buy gold so I can buy better gear just to be able to attempt to survive in Fel to get my money's worth out of UO?

Why? Why should I have to pay extra because you think that PvP is the end-all, be-all of UO? Does the money I pay to play UO somehow have less value than yours does because you choose to play most of the time in Felucca? Somehow I'm "unworthy" of most of UO because I don't PvP?

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't multi-box.
I don't go to EM events.
I don't do IDOCs.
I don't run scripts.
I don't play afk.
I don't even run UO Assist.

So because I don't do any of those things and yet choose to play in Trammel most of the time, I should have to pay for a far lesser loot table?

Why would I continue to pay for UO under those conditions?

I should have to force myself to learn to PvP and force myself to pay additional money to buy gold so I can buy better gear just to be able to attempt to survive in Fel to get my money's worth out of UO?

Why? Why should I have to pay extra because you think that PvP is the end-all, be-all of UO? Does the money I pay to play UO somehow have less value than yours does because you choose to play most of the time in Felucca? Somehow I'm "unworthy" of most of UO because I don't PvP?
You're right. The same people that have been paying to play UO for over a decade to see things implemented like t2a should have what they enjoyed be rendered completely irrelevant so you can farm scrolls in tram. You're asking for entire patches, lands, additional content to basically be wiped from existence for "equal facets." Were the subscribers "unworthy" and their money less valuable when they decided to add Tram and take away a big chunk of how they enjoyed playing the game?

You joined Stratics in 2008. I'm going to make a big assumption that you've at least been playing UO for that long if not longer. Are you seriously suggesting that even though you've had free reign to farm and gain loot for 9 years and you don't have gold to put together a suit for pvp? The last suit two weeks ago literally cost me 80mil. On shards outside of ATL, I have imbued suits just for raiding spawns. If you haven't been able to manage to put together a competent suit in that time span, then pvm and lootables must not be where your interests in this game lie. That being said, why do you care what's available where?

I refer you back to my post about the community involvement in achieving what you'd like from Fel when I picked up this game. From what I understand this games origins weren't about sitting in a carebear facet collecting items and gold endlessly to lock them down in your house. The more watered down this game has become, the player base has also dwindled.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Three Type of zones:

Blue Zones ( 100% trammel Ruleset.) Keep all your stuff when you die, no one can loot you
Yellow zones- keep all your noninsured stuff- the person who kills you gets a murder count but can only loot cursed items
Redzone everyone is flagged no murder counts high end loot and everything in your backpack that is no0t insured droped when killed-

The Idea is that the higher the risk the higher the reward. If you wanna do a champ spawn. the Endless journey facet.
Three Zones in one facet
  • 110 in Blue zones
  • 115 in yellow zones
  • 120 in red zones.
Yes you can still farm imbuing resources but if you kill the monster in the red zone the yield is higher. T maps are spawned in different zones and the loot is determined by the type of zone they are in. Event bosses that drop legendaries are spawned through the day in different zones. Event boss in red zone will drop better items Plus 10 Sot (random rare mounts) legendary armor. Blue zones will still have difficult dungeons but will be overpopulated and force people to farm the higher end dungeons. A lot of this is based from other games I have played. This is what I am considering new content.

Items remained cursed for 3 hours, So theifs can farm people in yellow and red zones who are AFK farming.

Just a thought!

Bring back Powerhour for farming, get 2k luck in tram and 3k luck in fel on top of your luck suit and your statue.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's not much point in trying to address PvP imbalances if you're not going to address the scripting that causes a lot of it, just saying.
There´s a reason why most of the so called PvPers here on Stratics never ever ever ever ever bring that up.
To quote my favorite Garth: "speaks volumes"...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're right. The same people that have been paying to play UO for over a decade to see things implemented like t2a should have what they enjoyed be rendered completely irrelevant so you can farm scrolls in tram. You're asking for entire patches, lands, additional content to basically be wiped from existence for "equal facets." Were the subscribers "unworthy" and their money less valuable when they decided to add Tram and take away a big chunk of how they enjoyed playing the game?

You joined Stratics in 2008. I'm going to make a big assumption that you've at least been playing UO for that long if not longer. Are you seriously suggesting that even though you've had free reign to farm and gain loot for 9 years and you don't have gold to put together a suit for pvp? The last suit two weeks ago literally cost me 80mil. On shards outside of ATL, I have imbued suits just for raiding spawns. If you haven't been able to manage to put together a competent suit in that time span, then pvm and lootables must not be where your interests in this game lie. That being said, why do you care what's available where?

I refer you back to my post about the community involvement in achieving what you'd like from Fel when I picked up this game. From what I understand this games origins weren't about sitting in a carebear facet collecting items and gold endlessly to lock them down in your house. The more watered down this game has become, the player base has also dwindled.
I have put together suits for PvP. I started playing UO in late 2004. I joined factions in 2006 and gave it a good try until it was disabled. I paid a lot of cash (several hundred dollars) to buy decent artifacts and put together PvP suits on a couple of shards where our guild did factions. However, I learned that I was not good at fighting other players and didn't enjoy it. I stuck with playing a faction thief but had no interest in being a thief in VvV. I even gave my oldest account that had most of my non-thief PvP characters to a guildmate when I quit playing UO for a while and wasn't sure I would return. Haven't missed most of those characters since then either and am glad that a friend has had a chance to enjoy them and add to them.

So yeah, I TRIED to PvP and I didn't like it. Does that mean I must stick with it and continue to not enjoy it? If Broadsword put factions back in, yeah I'd jump back into it again to play a faction thief. No rewards necessary. But I have no use for the VvV system. Much like factions was at the very end, it's far too centered on the rewards to the detriment of just fighting and trying to outfox each other just for the fun of it.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina,
How do you reconcile the fact you are playing the nice easy safe facets, yet get far more in terms of rewards and loot?

Shouldn't Felluca, the facet with risk v reward, have equal opportunity?
(If not more?)

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have put together suits for PvP. I started playing UO in late 2004. I joined factions in 2006 and gave it a good try until it was disabled. I paid a lot of cash (several hundred dollars) to buy decent artifacts and put together PvP suits on a couple of shards where our guild did factions. However, I learned that I was not good at fighting other players and didn't enjoy it. I stuck with playing a faction thief but had no interest in being a thief in VvV. I even gave my oldest account that had most of my non-thief PvP characters to a guildmate when I quit playing UO for a while and wasn't sure I would return. Haven't missed most of those characters since then either and am glad that a friend has had a chance to enjoy them and add to them.

So yeah, I TRIED to PvP and I didn't like it. Does that mean I must stick with it and continue to not enjoy it? If Broadsword put factions back in, yeah I'd jump back into it again to play a faction thief. No rewards necessary. But I have no use for the VvV system. Much like factions was at the very end, it's far too centered on the rewards to the detriment of just fighting and trying to outfox each other just for the fun of it.
I can appreciate an answer like this.

For me personally, I don't need or really even want loot or some particular reward to fight over. It's more the idea that if OTHER people were enticed by it. I'd rather see something that might seem a little silly, but an arena put in with some type of actual design in it with different games put in. I'd have way more fun if there was an arena built like a dungeon with ledges, small hallways, big open rooms and implement faction trap kind of things to play CTF or sigil whatever. SOMETHING we could do besides run circles around houses and teleport on the bank in the same style fight over and over. I've seen free shards implement these games. Some type of objective based game where, for example, a player like @Tina Small can play a role and have fun. Guilds could do it between themselves with their own teams, encouraging learning how to pvp in a fun way besides killing someone to kill them.

In a preemptive response to "you already have an arena you don't use," yeah because the arena was a glorified farms. People are too scared to have their name on a stone saying they died 1v1 for whatever weird reason so it doesn't get used.

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There´s a reason why most of the so called PvPers here on Stratics never ever ever ever ever bring that up.
To quote my favorite Garth: "speaks volumes"...
Scripting in regards to actual pvp combat? THE MOST I've ever heard anyone scripting in pvp is for auto bandaging yourself when you get hit. Beyond that...I'd love to hear your ideas.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina,
How do you reconcile the fact you are playing the nice easy safe facets, yet get far more in terms of rewards and loot?

Shouldn't Felluca, the facet with risk v reward, have equal opportunity?
(If not more?)
I don't know the answer to that. Ask the devs why they didn't carry through with equalizing the rulesets so each would have the same opportunities. All I can come up with is that perhaps they thought they were balancing things out by leaving power scrolls and stat scrolls in the Fel ruleset and putting other new things in the Trammel ruleset. Maybe they thought they could create some dependencies between players that they thought were spending most of their time getting power and stat scrolls and players who were getting artifacts from Doom and other places and thereby keep most of their subscribers still paying and playing. Maybe they thought it was the route that would save UO.

By the time I and many other people had started playing UO, the split was already done. I didn't ask for it and I vastly resent being blamed for it. I knew nothing of UO until I walked into a store in November 2004 and found a Samurai Empire box sitting on a shelf, picked it up, read about crafting and building houses and thought it sounded interesting. I was burned out on The Sims Online and was looking for something else. PvPing was the last thing on my mind.

I am not a power player. I haven't done a lot of the new content. I still don't own a crimson cincture or really any other good artifact. I don't get to play with my guildmates all that often. I take breaks from playing UO and the last one lasted more or less two years. After spending what was to me a significant amount of cash in 2006-2008 or so to try to learn to PvP and to get all the scrolls and gear it required, I learned it just wasn't something I was ever going to be good at or that I would ever enjoy. Being a support factions player who could get by in mediocre gear was really more my style and true to the way I am outside the game as well. I enjoy puttering in UO. I enjoy doing things that require teamwork, whether they are in Trammel or in Fel. But I don't enjoy paying hideous amounts of money to be able to do it. Simple is fine. Things you earn by going out and doing things that require more brains than expensive equipment is fine too. Flashy, trendy, gawdy, ostentatious, obnoxious, loudmouth---just not my cup of tea and pretty much stuff I try to avoid.

I don't know why the dev teams didn't make things equal. I really don't. The questions I was asking earlier and the list I posted were meant to try to help ferret out what it is that PvPers really want from the devs. Unfortunately, I think all I managed to do was bring out a lot of resentment and anger--resentment and anger that really needs to be directed at the development team instead of other players. No one asked for things to be the way they are. I know I never did. I think we all ought to be able to get what we want out of UO without taking away anything from ANY OTHER player, because when you take from someone else to better yourself, that other person is probably not going to stick around. And sooner or later, things are just finished because most people don't like and will not tolerate bullies. There's no real way for any of us to "push back" in UO when we don't get our way other than to just quit paying and playing.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know the answer to that. Ask the devs why they didn't carry through with equalizing the rulesets so each would have the same opportunities. All I can come up with is that perhaps they thought they were balancing things out by leaving power scrolls and stat scrolls in the Fel ruleset and putting other new things in the Trammel ruleset. Maybe they thought they could create some dependencies between players that they thought were spending most of their time getting power and stat scrolls and players who were getting artifacts from Doom and other places and thereby keep most of their subscribers still paying and playing. Maybe they thought it was the route that would save UO.

By the time I and many other people had started playing UO, the split was already done. I didn't ask for it and I vastly resent being blamed for it. I knew nothing of UO until I walked into a store in November 2004 and found a Samurai Empire box sitting on a shelf, picked it up, read about crafting and building houses and thought it sounded interesting. I was burned out on The Sims Online and was looking for something else. PvPing was the last thing on my mind.

I am not a power player. I haven't done a lot of the new content. I still don't own a crimson cincture or really any other good artifact. I don't get to play with my guildmates all that often. I take breaks from playing UO and the last one lasted more or less two years. After spending what was to me a significant amount of cash in 2006-2008 or so to try to learn to PvP and to get all the scrolls and gear it required, I learned it just wasn't something I was ever going to be good at or that I would ever enjoy. Being a support factions player who could get by in mediocre gear was really more my style and true to the way I am outside the game as well. I enjoy puttering in UO. I enjoy doing things that require teamwork, whether they are in Trammel or in Fel. But I don't enjoy paying hideous amounts of money to be able to do it. Simple is fine. Things you earn by going out and doing things that require more brains than expensive equipment is fine too. Flashy, trendy, gawdy, ostentatious, obnoxious, loudmouth---just not my cup of tea and pretty much stuff I try to avoid.

I don't know why the dev teams didn't make things equal. I really don't. The questions I was asking earlier and the list I posted were meant to try to help ferret out what it is that PvPers really want from the devs. Unfortunately, I think all I managed to do was bring out a lot of resentment and anger--resentment and anger that really needs to be directed at the development team instead of other players. No one asked for things to be the way they are. I know I never did. I think we all ought to be able to get what we want out of UO without taking away anything from ANY OTHER player, because when you take from someone else to better yourself, that other person is probably not going to stick around. And sooner or later, things are just finished because most people don't like and will not tolerate bullies. There's no real way for any of us to "push back" in UO when we don't get our way other than to just quit paying and playing.
Nice response.

What do people want from PvP?
Well, ultimately the emotion generated from PvP for me. You can go to bed with a smile on your face because you've had a laugh, or pissed off because you lost badly.
The fact you can genuinely lose, is important, you cannot be in a situation where winning is just guaranteed.
So you sort of need something worthwhile in a game context to fight for, to make the emotion more real - that's where valuable resources come into it - the reason for most warfare throughout all of history. I like the feeling of winning and earning stuff from being victorious.
It's just hard to maintain any sort of pvp balance, or playerbase in Felucca, if everything is being given away in vast quantities in a far easier gaming mode.
It makes the whole fight over resources thing, non existent.
{Edit - All of the above, explains the success of Champ Spawns and scrolls over the years, it is a good system - but limited}.

Of course all answers are different.
Some PvPers - Yew gate ones for example, like nothing more than to just PvP, just because. That becomes a bit meaningless to me.
Some - do like to just take stuff off weaker defenceless players, and to ruin their day - I'm not going to defend that, it's another playstyle I don't really get.

Last edited:

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I just can't come up with anything. There are plenty of options to entertain the current pvp player base, but if the idea is to get an influx of new players and returning ones when we go f2p I just hit a wall. New concepts, lands, mini games and such would be entertaining, but the idea for returning guys when they see all the crap that's out now? If I was already driven away by the watering down of the pvp system and items years ago and I came back to see people with 800 skill, max eaters, HPR, 20+MR, etc etc etc I'm not sure I'd be interested in spending the time or money to catch up.

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tired of Devs wasting limited Resources on PvPers who are the biggest whiners in the game. Every week we have a thread about how this or that is unfair, or needs to be nerfed or looked at.

Majority of the playerbase doesn't want to PvP yet the Devs continue to waste a huge amount of time on PvP.:coco::thumbdown:

Last edited:

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tired of Devs wasting limited Resources on PvPers who are the biggest whiners in the game. Every week we have a thread about how this or that is unfair, or needs to be nerfed or looked at.

Majority of the playerbase doesn't want to PvP yet the Devs continue to waste a huge amount of time on PvP.:coco::thumbdown:
I just went through the last two months of UHall threads on here. Guess how many threads were about pvp related issues in regards to nerfing or changing? One. Guess how many "non-pvp related" threads were posted complaining about things that need changing? Closer to 10. Anything from this invasion sucks, to poor drop rates on a staff from fishing, to this monster is too tough and needs adjusted, or i can't play the template I want in sorc dungeon.

Guess what this game started out as? A pvp based game. Guess how many players will suddenly decide to come back because you cry enough about a titan being too strong or wanting a cool new 20th year vet reward? I don't imagine many.

Please get out of a thread that doesn't pertain to any aspect of the game you have constructive input on and I won't chime in about wanting a new plant to grow.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets face it PVP has been completely ruined under Mesanna. We've seen the implementation of the VvV system that just has nothing to do with a faction system most of us loved for years that just needed to be revamped. Item power is just crazy, we go from imbued to 1400 weight legendary pieces? We've lost all template diversity, everyone is playing a splinter mage or archer/dexxer with dp or bush. Masteries were a complete joke that enabled super defensive templates to become offensive juggernauts. The final straw was pushing through this taming patch with about 15 minutes of testing, even tho most of us begged for more time to test out the content.

Over the years I've sent Mesanna dozens of emails of ideas of new content that would help influence more people to pvp, not once has she ever implemented EVEN one. Some of them seem so easy your dumbfounded when it take 4 years for anything to happen, such as getting a loot boost for the freaking Harrower. I mean it is the most time consuming boss in the ENTIRE game, yet its loot is dogtier.

The biggest complaint on Stratics over the last year has been multiboxers and if events were done in Fel this wouldn't be an issue =]