• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seriously, what's the allure??

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off this is not a complaint so please don't flame this post about pvm players in Fel. I'm just curious as to what is the allure for having 4-5 people swooping in for a 1 minute battle against a person doing a Champ Spawn. Here's the scenario; I play a VERY low population server and solo Despise very often. Sometimes I get raided and that is completely acceptable...it goes with the territory. Here's what I don't get, Despise spawn will literally go untouched for days on end unless I go trigger the spawn and work it. Sometimes the same group of people come down to raid. No big deal, but they literally have to monitor the spawn for days if not weeks waiting for that one lone PVM'r to come down so they can raid the spawn otherwise nobody is there. Is PVP really that exciting to have a short battle with a player geared for PVM and having no interest in PVP? Controlling the scroll trade can't be the answer because I'm literally swimming in 120's. Is having a 1 minute battle 4 vs 1 really that exciting to camp a spawn for so long hoping to fight kill a lone player?

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a low population server, that's probably the most PvP action anyone will see on it.
I get it, but if a person truly wants PVP surely there are better ways to find it than to camp something for days hoping for a 1 minute battle against someone not interested to participate.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First off this is not a complaint so please don't flame this post about pvm players in Fel. I'm just curious as to what is the allure for having 4-5 people swooping in for a 1 minute battle against a person doing a Champ Spawn. Here's the scenario; I play a VERY low population server and solo Despise very often. Sometimes I get raided and that is completely acceptable...it goes with the territory. Here's what I don't get, Despise spawn will literally go untouched for days on end unless I go trigger the spawn and work it. Sometimes the same group of people come down to raid. No big deal, but they literally have to monitor the spawn for days if not weeks waiting for that one lone PVM'r to come down so they can raid the spawn otherwise nobody is there. Is PVP really that exciting to have a short battle with a player geared for PVM and having no interest in PVP? Controlling the scroll trade can't be the answer because I'm literally swimming in 120's. Is having a 1 minute battle 4 vs 1 really that exciting to camp a spawn for so long hoping to fight kill a lone player?
Two reasons:
1) You do most of the spawn work for them, so - easy scrolls.
2) They derive pleasure from ruining your day.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you aren't getting raided often, chances are they aren't camping the spawn for days. They are probably just making the rounds to see who is out and about spawning. Usually the first stop in that is despise. Kill you, kill the champ, move on. That's the name of the game.

Pay attention to what time and what days of the week you are getting raided. Start Adjusting and doing t2a spawns on those days.

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
getting raided in fel is just the cost of doing business... My advice invest if your that dis interested in PVP just bring a thief to the spawn after the raid hits ya and just steal the scrolls from the raiders.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despise, or the Vermin Horde spawn, is the only spawn that is regularly solo'd because the other spawns are much more difficult, historically, to defeat. In addition, Despise is designed in such a way that provides players an easy way to both raid and defend Barracoon since the boss spawns on an island with narrow bridges connecting it to the rest of the spawn region that can be fielded off or blocked. As such, it is the most checked spawn in the game.

In other words, if you attempt Despise, you are pretty much asking to be raided. Most people try the random spawns or island since they are checked less frequently.

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despise, or the Vermin Horde spawn, is the only spawn that is regularly solo'd because the other spawns are much more difficult, historically, to defeat. In addition, Despise is designed in such a way that provides players an easy way to both raid and defend Barracoon since the boss spawns on an island with narrow bridges connecting it to the rest of the spawn region that can be fielded off or blocked. As such, it is the most checked spawn in the game.

In other words, if you attempt Despise, you are pretty much asking to be raided. Most people try the random spawns or island since they are checked less frequently.
Still not answering the question though. I get getting raided, it's par for the course. My question remains is what is the attraction for camping a spawn for days or weeks with zero action, waiting for that one solo player to arrive? Honestly, on the shard I play the Despise spawn will go untouched for days on end. So someone literally has to camp for hundreds of hours waiting for that one short battle that last 1 -2 minutes. I don't understand what is the attraction. If you want PVP there are much better ways to get. If you want to control the scroll trade you're failing miserably.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As others have said...
1. they like getting the scrolls without doing most of the work
2. it gives them pleasure thinking they ruined your day
3. it makes them feel powerful

Who knows why we do the things we do

I mess around in VvV and wear a fully blessed suit and i'll get resed at the healer and they will just sit there and keep killing me over and over... I just do it to see how long till they get bored. I've never had anyone leave me alive yet... I'm always the one to get bored first.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Change your logic on it might help. understand it’s what is going happen then when it does no surprise and it becomes more a challenge to see if and when it’s happens. After all it’s just a game sometimes you win most the time you don’t. My attitude is screw them im in control it’s not going to ruin my day losers lol .

I hardly pvp to be fair and honest but when I do I no I’m going to die a lot

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still not answering the question though. I get getting raided, it's par for the course. My question remains is what is the attraction for camping a spawn for days or weeks with zero action, waiting for that one solo player to arrive? Honestly, on the shard I play the Despise spawn will go untouched for days on end. So someone literally has to camp for hundreds of hours waiting for that one short battle that last 1 -2 minutes. I don't understand what is the attraction. If you want PVP there are much better ways to get. If you want to control the scroll trade you're failing miserably.
Your scenario is not pvp. They dont need to sit there all day long to wait for you. They are hired and organised by a boss.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As others have said...
1. they like getting the scrolls without doing most of the work
2. it gives them pleasure thinking they ruined your day
3. it makes them feel powerful

Who knows why we do the things we do

I mess around in VvV and wear a fully blessed suit and i'll get resed at the healer and they will just sit there and keep killing me over and over... I just do it to see how long till they get bored. I've never had anyone leave me alive yet... I'm always the one to get bored first.
This^^^ and the same reason guys get big trucks with the jacked suspension... and I'm not going to spell that out for you but I think you know...

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They RAID you because you are an easy target and u made the work for them. Your loss is their gain (scrolls without much work)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get it, but if a person truly wants PVP surely there are better ways to find it than to camp something for days hoping for a 1 minute battle against someone not interested to participate.
They don't want pvp, they want to kill someone. People raid for profit, ideally, plus lulz as a bonus, I imagine.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
PVP is a playstyle just like PVM, Rares, IDOC's and Decorating. There's good and bad PVP, like i've been PVP'ed before and after I was the dead the killer resurrected me with most of my stuff being returned. However i've also been PVP'ed with the killer taunting me after and killing me again once i've resurrected while calling me names/laughing the whole time. So as others described, I don't think they were camping and just waiting for you... they just happened to check out despise since it's a popular spot and killed you for fun while trying to get easy scrolls

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Think the funniest thing I have seen is when I had 2 players raid me when baracoon had popped. They killed me off (didnt bother fighting back) then watched as baracoon ended up killing both. Funny stuff right there.

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes; it happens quite a bit. It is frustrating and exciting at same time. When i get to that last candle and even when champ spawns asking myself if this guild or that guild is gonna swing by. The only thing that really troubles me lately is the individual using thier advisor account to watch the spawn. Initially i bought into the "ghost cam" theory and began using necro to help with that. Then i caught on to a particular character and figured it out. Now there are many legitimate guilds that use a stealth character or a ghost cam. That is a good use of game mechanics and there is some sort of remedy to fix that. The individual using advisor account is garbage and not cool. I hope they get caught. That is not the norm though; like others have said scouts pass by or the use of stealth or ghostcams is how they know when to pounce. I can usually secure one or 2 champs a week, unless that one individual is on then I just go play dome fifferent content for a few days. Thats why I tell my kids uo has so many little niches i could play 24-7 and find something to do alone or with others.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Is PVP really that exciting to have a short battle with a player geared for PVM and having no interest in PVP?
You are maybe confusing PvPers with PKs.

The latter tend to have little interest in a challenging fight, the more unfair the fight and easier the kill the better.
The former will often just join with you to finish the spawn when they see there is only one of you and obviously not a PvPer.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The answer, then, is checking spawns is not hard nor time consuming. It's a process that takes a person or guild a matter of minutes, about as much time as it would take to get a daily reward in a mobile game. You are thinking a little too hard about what you perceive to be effort when you devise "literally [...] hundreds of hours waiting." Despise, especially, is easy to get to, easy to check, easy to raid, easy to defend, and easy to finish. It attracts the most PvMers, and can be finished by PvPers not suited for PvM. Despise requires minimal effort for all involved, whether it is you trying to get scrolls (or whatever goal you have), or the PvPer that cannot find PvP anywhere else (or the PKer who just wants to PK).

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. they themselves are not camping the spawn. There are several people who will go unnamed that run scripts to check popular spawns across all shards. So the effort on their part is very minimal.

2. sadly since @Mesanna has ruined pvp over the past 6 years this is the only true pvp they have to look forward too.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. they themselves are not camping the spawn. There are several people who will go unnamed that run scripts to check popular spawns across all shards. So the effort on their part is very minimal.

2. sadly since @Mesanna has ruined pvp over the past 6 years this is the only true pvp they have to look forward too.
If that's someones idea of "true PvP" then they ought to just do away with it ... as that's seriously lame...

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If that's someones idea of "true PvP" then they ought to just do away with it ... as that's seriously lame...
yeah the only reason to go to fell is scrolls. so any pvper is going to watching spawns like a hawk just waiting for some action. Sadly mesanna has killed so many other reasons to be in fel that its really the only thing left to look forward to for that aspect of the game.

I loved PVP for a long time but PvP with out a purpose is just a bunch of kids slapping hands. :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If that were the case every spawn would be raided, every day. Could it be that people just check Barracoon all the time? Because people check barracoon all the time. If I were a pk, I would check Coon every 20 minutes or so if I was looking for a fight, I would probably have a character there hidden or as a ghost to check. Possibly on another account, or with camping so I could insta log back out, or just run that client in the background or on another monitor so I can see people come in and start the spawn, and monitor their progress.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still not answering the question though. I get getting raided, it's par for the course. My question remains is what is the attraction for camping a spawn for days or weeks with zero action, waiting for that one solo player to arrive?
How do you know how much action they see when you aren't there? Checking is quick, and easy as was mentioned, you could even have a character hiding there logged out, or since most people probably don't cast exorcism, as a ghost, and check it with zero effort at all.

They check it because it's the easiest place to find people to kill, which is what pks do for fun/profit.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would probably have a character there hidden or as a ghost to check.
The guy @NinjaSampire mentioned has a char that does that - usually a necro/stealther in wraith form in Despise. I've killed it a few times.

Anyway. I've seen people do spawns and they'll just run out, even if I'm on a blue. Really? I can understand if it's at/near the end, but when it's level 1, nobody is going to do anything.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The problem I have with these stories is that UO is so free in what you can do and player stories always have this narrative they tell themselves in their head about what's going on that they don't consider other scenarios. Everyone assumes the players they see are going along with this narrative they want to tell themselves.

For example... ^ could have been someone that was just checking the spawn. Or it could have been someone doing the exact same thing he was doing. Or it could have been someone just logging back in from a bad spot after hiding and logging in because a real life issue needed attention.

I've rarely seen people say something that happened to them involving another player that could not (even easily) be explained by another narrative.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Anyway. I've seen people do spawns and they'll just run out, even if I'm on a blue. Really? I can understand if it's at/near the end, but when it's level 1, nobody is going to do anything.
We also do that usually. Experiences have mostly been, if you see someone in Fel, begone or be dead. Of course we have also had positive experiences, but our first reaction is still to run as soon as we see someone else we don't know. We hate PvP with a passion (hate adrenaline rushes and they are exactly that), but for the scrolls we need to go there and risk that. Best way to limit that risk as much as possible is to leave asap when we see others. (And to not Champ for a while if we get hit twice in short succession.)

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The specific person that is raiding you has stealth cams set up on most shards in despise. My suggestion is don't do despise, if you stick with T2A spawns the chances of you being raided are really slim. Its not that hard guys, people really don't check all the spawns anymore just really the dungeons (Despise, Fire, Terra Keep, Deceit, Destard). Think of some of the crappy T2A spawns no one would ever think to check or is a pain to check, like maybe hoppers bog or terra sanctum. Nothing is going to change, scrolls are staying in fel adjust or stay in trammel.
Laziness and psychopathy, the roots of griefer PvP.
You made my day =] please tell us more Dr. Phil.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You made my day =] please tell us more Dr. Phil.
Dot's NOT wrong. Speaking solely for myself here, but I've outright ADMITTED that I'm lazy when it comes to spawns (both checking and working them.)

The specific person that is raiding you has stealth cams set up on most shards in despise. My suggestion is don't do despise, if you stick with T2A spawns the chances of you being raided are really slim. Its not that hard guys, people really don't check all the spawns anymore just really the dungeons (Despise, Fire, Terra Keep, Deceit, Destard). Think of some of the crappy T2A spawns no one would ever think to check or is a pain to check, like maybe hoppers bog or terra sanctum. Nothing is going to change, scrolls are staying in fel adjust or stay in trammel.
Agreed. Destard (on LS) has been getting checked the past few days though, since a guy's been doing it quite a bit. Tera Keep isn't a good one though, since people come through there from Despise.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dot's NOT wrong. Speaking solely for myself here, but I've outright ADMITTED that I'm lazy when it comes to spawns (both checking and working them.)
For sure I am lazy too, you won't catch me spawning, but I am always down to raid. I guess that makes me a psychopath!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Notice I specifically said griefer PvP, these are the people that go out looking for unskilled/ungeared players just to pwn them. They aren't looking for the excitement or the challenge of facing another living mind, but for the "thrill" of ruining someone else's play time. The cheap notch on their belt makes them feel bigly.

I hold nothing against people who engage in consensual PvP, in fact, I've encouraged it and participated myself. I just have zero interest in the epeen measuring, smack talking, juveniles who seem to dominate gen chat PvP.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Notice I specifically said griefer PvP, these are the people that go out looking for unskilled/ungeared players just to pwn them. They aren't looking for the excitement or the challenge of facing another living mind, but for the "thrill" of ruining someone else's play time. The cheap notch on their belt makes them feel bigly.
Yes, essentially a PK, people who specifically look for an easy kill, but its an age old playstyle isnt it and each to their own, its a bit of a leap to assume their motives are to grief, a lot of them like the thrill of the hunt or the RP of it.

Many people hunt deer, a deer cannot defend itself and wont offer up a good fight, I imagine the thrill is in tracking them, finding them and getting the kill right?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, essentially a PK, people who specifically look for an easy kill, but its an age old playstyle isnt it and each to their own, its a bit of a leap to assume their motives are to grief, a lot of them like the thrill of the hunt or the RP of it.

Many people hunt deer, a deer cannot defend itself and wont offer up a good fight, I imagine the thrill is in tracking them, finding them and getting the kill right?
While deer can't fight back, they can be quite stealthy. Plus, hunters generally are in it for the meat as well as the sport. Having been hunting several times, I know that for a lot of people its just camping with guns.

PKs, on the other hand, do it for the jollies. Hunting easy prey that has no interest in fighting you (and isn't a foodstuff) is poor sportsmanship.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While deer can't fight back, they can be quite stealthy. Plus, hunters generally are in it for the meat as well as the sport. Having been hunting several times, I know that for a lot of people its just camping with guns.

PKs, on the other hand, do it for the jollies. Hunting easy prey that has no interest in fighting you (and isn't a foodstuff) is poor sportsmanship.
No they do it to "make up for something"... it makes them feel "big"... Envy... you know.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
12 years ago, that was definitely me. But hey, I was a 19 year old idiot. It's to be expected. I'll still do it, but I'm FAR less likely to do it now, because I know the person isn't capable of fighting back; tbh, it depends entirely on my mood. If I'm REALLY bored, I'll kill you and bring in another char to finish the spawn. I'm far more likely to protect though.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Most people raid for powerscrolls, which is a pretty sweet bonus on top of getting some kills. Trust me, most pvpers don't discriminate on skill level when killing an opponent. Most pvpers if they catch trammies doing a spawn they are going to treat them as they would ANYONE, they're going to kill them and take their spawn. This isn't something new this has been going on since 2002, since I kill anyone including trammies that don't want to pvp I am a psychopath. I apologize for playing within the rules of fel... I need to not do that anymore!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the OP is talking about the shard I think he/she is, there is a lot more to this scenario. Including the fact that for some reason his own guild doesn't even do the spawn with him/her, AND that he/she has been known to "jump in" on "other's" spawn as well. Not saying that's good or bad, just information that was conveniently left out. Of course, if it is a different shard, then please disregard the above comment. :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guy @NinjaSampire mentioned has a char that does that - usually a necro/stealther in wraith form in Despise. I've killed it a few times.
Yeah, while there are people who use cheat programs (speed hacks/macros most predominantly) I think people are way too quick to blame things that are quite easily accomplished by legal means on "scripting".

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We hate PvP with a passion (hate adrenaline rushes and they are exactly that), but for the scrolls we need to go there and risk that.
It's weird to me that people get stressed out by pk attacks now a days, since you have absolutly nothing to lose, cept a bit of time, and maybe some potions or bandages.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder how much more griefing we will see when EJ comes into effect...
Raiding a champ spawn is not griefing... Are people supposed to stop and ask "Hey, are you fully skilled and geared and mentally prepared for a pvp encounter, sir?" before attacking?

Last edited: