• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Kyronix, @Bleak, Devs should see this..

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there is no monopoly, anybody can do it anytime, anywhere, as much as they want to, it should not make any difference if the scrolls are added to Ilsh, should it? Why are PvPers having such a problem with expanding access to a resource that according to them is already widely accessible?

I am on a lesser populated shard. On one hand it's difficult to get a group of skilled players. On the other hand it's not Atl, so I should not get raided unless I farm Despise, right? Well, I get raided often enough to make an endeavor not worth it while trying to spawn at random sites in Lost Lands. Even if the PvP groups don't have cams at every site, it takes 10 minutes to run through every site, and they do do it. But hey, It was not me who just lost an hour of effort after a long work day and signed off in disgust. I must be hallucinating. Or I must be stupid. Or unwilling to use common sense, right?
If you take a hour to make a spawn from start to finish, you are doing something wrong, simple as that. You can do coon solo in 20 min.

Spawn isn't design to be a "solo" thing, you want to change a whole system just because you can't solo in a good time? Is easier get some friends, or make new friends and do a spawn in 10-15 min, UO isn't a singleplay game.

"On one hand it's difficult to get a group of skilled players." - Maybe teach your friends to play? invite new players to the game? do you live alone in a cavern?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am on a lesser populated shard. On one hand it's difficult to get a group of skilled players. On the other hand it's not Atl, so I should not get raided unless I farm Despise, right? Well, I get raided often enough to make an endeavor not worth it while trying to spawn at random sites in Lost Lands. Even if the PvP groups don't have cams at every site, it takes 10 minutes to run through every site, and they do do it. But hey, It was not me who just lost an hour of effort after a long work day and signed off in disgust. I must be hallucinating. Or I must be stupid. Or unwilling to use common sense, right?
An hour? LOL. I think it took me that long to solo when the game was populated, but I did it on Test Center, knowing what would happen if I did ANY spawn on a live shard - 1) if I managed to get to the champ, it would take forever (this was a few years before imbuing, so sampires weren't as common) 2) I would get raided long before I managed to even get the champ up.

If it's taking you an hour now (even with a group), get a better template. Necro spellweaver can wreck lower levels with a 6 & Essence of Wind/Thunderstorm. Sampires/melee whammies are good through the entire spawn. It could be your gear too. What are you using, GM-made armor from 2003?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An hour? LOL. I think it took me that long to solo when the game was populated, but I did it on Test Center, knowing what would happen if I did ANY spawn on a live shard - 1) if I managed to get to the champ, it would take forever (this was a few years before imbuing, so sampires weren't as common) 2) I would get raided long before I managed to even get the champ up.

If it's taking you an hour now (even with a group), get a better template. Necro spellweaver can wreck lower levels with a 6 & Essence of Wind/Thunderstorm. Sampires/melee whammies are good through the entire spawn. It could be your gear too. What are you using, GM-made armor from 2003?
Hey something I agree with you on :) I run 70s imbued crap and about the longest it takes me is 15-25 minutes depending on which template I am running.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play 99 percent of my time in fel. My vendor is even fel. Spawning is one of the few things in uo where random events can and do happen. Fel has been neglected for a long time but people still play there despite this. When people reminisce about uo it is almost always about pre trammel or about something that happened in fel. Not that scrolls will ever be in TRAMMEL, but if they were it would be a nail in the coffin for uo. Without fel players there would be little to no supply and demand. It's fel players that drive uos fragile economy.
With that said, I think fel has a lot of fairly simple things that could be done to help it out.

1 the flagging rules suck. I preferred it when factions players couldn't be healed by non factionets. I don't like the going Orange and taking no murder count.

2 I think forged pardons should be a one time per character use and I think pardons should have a timer of at at least 30 minutes after taking a count. Blue players take counts with zero I'll consequences.

3 going red should wipe out all city buffs and virtues. Make players have to start buffs and virtues over from scratch when they go blue. Blue murderers are a pet peave of mind. Nowadays most spawn characters are on a pvm templates and are at a disadvantage to begin with so why reward blue murders with buffs and virtues.
4 start spawning some nice stealables in fel dungeons. Enough stealables where it can encourage encounters between thieves and other unsavory types. Some of them should be in random spots to promote exploration. Every fel dungeon should have at least one.
5 add more puzzles in random dungeon and non dungeon spots.
6 make using repair deeds so that they don't fail in fel towns. Just one thing to try to get towns a little more populated.

Trammies likely won't do many of these things but who cares. Fact is many of the peeps standing around in Luna do play fel but because Trammel exists it's so easy to be lazy

Last edited:

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without Fel buyers your vendors would be holding a lot less gold.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Flip side of that... it's the PvP fixation of min/maxing suits and templates that has largely driven much of the inflation in the game. Without fel players, you likely would need as much gold so it balances out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I HIGHLY doubt that.... HIGHLY....

PvM players are just as obsessive about builds and suits....

I'm sorry but I'm calling BS... it's the rares collectors that drive the economy... NOT PvPers.

the only thing Fel PvPers have done is keep a strangle hold on the prices of Powerscrolls for YEARS... when shard shields and such came into play many people living on shards that previously had large Zerg type guilds holding the spawns hostage from any tram player being able to get their own scrolls suddenly could go get their own... FREE..... prices of scrolls plummeted. No longer over inflated by the Zergs...

Once they could no longer control all the spawns on all the shards the prices became lower.

And most people who reminisce fondly about the old days were the cause of Trammel in the first place.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the only thing Fel PvPers have done is keep a strangle hold on the prices of Powerscrolls for YEARS... when shard shields and such came into play many people living on shards that previously had large Zerg type guilds holding the spawns hostage from any tram player being able to get their own scrolls suddenly could go get their own... FREE..... prices of scrolls plummeted. No longer over inflated by the Zergs...

Once they could no longer control all the spawns on all the shards the prices became lower.
Are the rares collectors farming with multiple accounts? Probably a few, but I would guess most aren't. Same for Shadowguard. While it's been months since I did it at all, I saw pvp guilds there.

Scrolls: Again, no. The supply hasn't gone down, but the demand (and overall population of the game) did. Players have all their chars scrolled out, or have enough stockpiled to make new chars right away. Outside of feeding them to pets (which has caused the price to go up), they aren't needed as much as they used to be.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Malagaste, haven't you complained in every thread ever about scrolls and the people that enjoy Fel? You claim it's impossible to get scrolls because all the pkers and mean people kill you and yet in this same thread you seemed to be all giddy because shard shields allow people to farm dead shards. Well if you play gl it IS a dead shard. No shard shield even needed for you.
As far as large guilds holding spawns goes, it created some of the most epic fights I've ever been a part. I remember bc having 40 or so in a fight, fl having 50 plus,tdr having 20 plus, and there certainly other big guilds at that time that were involved. Guilds changed at times, there was OE, Fs,BTH, DAE,AE and I'm forgetting some. Not everyone in those guilds were leeet pvpers. Some were even trammies. The fact is a lot of people would like Fel content. The fact that Fel is dead is one part the fact that's uo overall has a small population and the fact there hasn't been decent content since the early 2000s. Just because people stand around in Trammel all day does not mean there arent a good number of people that want Fel content including some of those people standing around

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just so everyone knows. I just dusted off an old sampire, put a crappy suit on him, imbued a crappy kryss, grabbed a hail storm, built some macros and hot keys. Then proceeded to go down to despise on atl and did the spawn by myself in about 30 minutes.

I havent played that character in about 2 years or so and i would say i had a pretty damn easy time. No one bothered to raid or even check the spawn.

I see no problem with how power scrolls are working.

here is vid for proof.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry but I'm calling BS... it's the rares collectors that drive the economy... NOT PvPers.
Clueless once again! Hey who do you think gets the most drops from em events? pvpers =/... Powerscrolls fell in price because one the sampire and two people really stopped building characters.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just so everyone knows. I just dusted off an old sampire, put a crappy suit on him, imbued a crappy kryss, grabbed a hail storm, built some macros and hot keys. Then proceeded to go down to despise on atl and did the spawn by myself in about 30 minutes.

I havent played that character in about 2 years or so and i would say i had a pretty damn easy time. No one bothered to raid or even check the spawn.

I see no problem with how power scrolls are working.

here is vid for proof.
The problem is not with how powerscrolls or the champs work, but with how Fel works, more specific how the majority of people that inhabit fel work. Nothing difficult about most of the champ spawns. Particularly Baracoon and Neira . The vast majority of people though despise fel, the PvP crowd, and the trash talk and just are not going to participate. Since everyone says it is so easy and spawns are dead and don't raided, then throwing scrolls in tram should hurt nothing.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is not with how powerscrolls or the champs work, but with how Fel works, more specific how the majority of people that inhabit fel work. Nothing difficult about most of the champ spawns. Particularly Baracoon and Neira . The vast majority of people though despise fel, the PvP crowd, and the trash talk and just are not going to participate. Since everyone says it is so easy and spawns are dead and don't raided, then throwing scrolls in tram should hurt nothing.
Why does it even matter to you? Didn't you just brag about how many scrolls and spawns you got off last week. Seems your doing fine and the content is working just fine, so why fix whats not broken. The system has been in place for 15 years and hasn't really been an issue till recently, trammies use to just try and if they died they lost a whole 6k. "Well I just wasted 20 minutes" okay then go waste an hour dying in doom to almost certainly get nothing. If you ask me I'd take the odds of getting some powerscrolls at the chance of getting a doom drop or almost any other drop even with the risk of getting pk'd.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does it even matter to you? Didn't you just brag about how many scrolls and spawns you got off last week. Seems your doing fine and the content is working just fine, so why fix whats not broken. The system has been in place for 15 years and hasn't really been an issue till recently, trammies use to just try and if they died they lost a whole 6k. "Well I just wasted 20 minutes" okay then go waste an hour dying in doom to almost certainly get nothing. If you ask me I'd take the odds of getting some powerscrolls at the chance of getting a doom drop or almost any other drop even with the risk of getting pk'd.
I don't have a problem with the risk or fel the PKs are easy enough to avoid and no it is not broken for me. It is broken for a lot of other people though. Saying the system has not really been a issue is not very accurate. It has been a issue and point of contention for 15 years since day one. It had just cooled off over the years until pub 97 and it is going to continue to be a divisive issue for atleast a year or two to come. Most of the folks that have no problem and getting scrolls which is a extreme minority of the players don't see or at a minimum won't even concede that there is a problem. And you are correct hour for hour invested Power Scrolls are the best rate of return now days. But I don't sell scrolls or drops so maintaining the status quo does not matter to me. To folks that make profit in game gold and green gold maintaining the control and status quo is very important.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saying the system has not really been a issue is not very accurate. It has been a issue and point of contention for 15 years since day one. It had just cooled off over the years until pub 97 and it is going to continue to be a divisive issue for atleast a year or two to come. Most of the folks that have no problem and getting scrolls which is a extreme minority of the players don't see or at a minimum won't even concede that there is a problem. And you are correct hour for hour invested Power Scrolls are the best rate of return now days.
We're saying it's not an issue because it ISN'T an issue. There are any # of shards where people can do spawns as often as they want and get raided in 1 out of 20 (at least) spawns. What's that saying about real estate? Location, location, location? If you're going to chain Despise, you're going to get raided eventually. I know my personal record is 5 solo spawns with my sampire - that's in Despise. I've done several throughout t2a and other dungeons, and never got raided. I have even done multiple Harrowers on LS & Legends without issues - one of the LS Harrowers was even public/planned in advance and nobody showed up.

Most of my sampire's suit is crafted gear I've been using for the past 3 years - the only changes I've made (currently) was changing to the dexer luck jewelry set. While I do need to redo the suit to add LRC, I've never had a problem doing spawns with that character.

Power scrolls give the best rate of return? Again, no. Maybe it was the case RIGHT after the pet revamp, but I'm pretty sure scroll prices are going down again. To put it into concrete #s:

I have made about a billion gold, if not more, from EM event drops. I haven't gotten a drop in months/don't even do that many events (only have event chars on 4 shards atm.)
When I was farming Shadowguard, I made over 500 million gold, if not more (I've sold a variety of drops, but the bulk of it came from Cameos.)
From doing spawns, I have made a couple hundred mil at best.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seriously people need to stop crying about other people being more successful at this game by simply working together as a group. Just get a group of your own large enough to do spawns and defend them or learn how to solo spawns quickly enough as to avoid being raided.

Of course it sucks when you can't get 120s yourself but why come crying to the devs about it when you could just as well get a bunch of people to play together to achieve whatever you want? This is an MMO after all. If you can't pvp or don't want to then befriend people who do and get them to help you.
The trouble with you assessment, the people doing this are organized, they use scripts and multibotting to gain advantage at both spawns and em events, all the while with the developers turning a blind eye on the group since they have 100+ accounts between the lot of them.

Instead of griping at the people with honest complaint, why don't look at the problem as it truly exists and offer a valid solution? I watch several of the people being mentioned post in stratics daily, with multiple praises going their way for their supposed *good deeds*.

I stopped playing due to the teams idea that all money is good money...as well as stratic's policy to coddle these arseholes.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We're saying it's not an issue because it ISN'T an issue. There are any # of shards where people can do spawns as often as they want and get raided in 1 out of 20 (at least) spawns. What's that saying about real estate? Location, location, location? If you're going to chain Despise, you're going to get raided eventually. I know my personal record is 5 solo spawns with my sampire - that's in Despise. I've done several throughout t2a and other dungeons, and never got raided. I have even done multiple Harrowers on LS & Legends without issues - one of the LS Harrowers was even public/planned in advance and nobody showed up.

Most of my sampire's suit is crafted gear I've been using for the past 3 years - the only changes I've made (currently) was changing to the dexer luck jewelry set. While I do need to redo the suit to add LRC, I've never had a problem doing spawns with that character.

Power scrolls give the best rate of return? Again, no. Maybe it was the case RIGHT after the pet revamp, but I'm pretty sure scroll prices are going down again. To put it into concrete #s:

I have made about a billion gold, if not more, from EM event drops. I haven't gotten a drop in months/don't even do that many events (only have event chars on 4 shards atm.)
When I was farming Shadowguard, I made over 500 million gold, if not more (I've sold a variety of drops, but the bulk of it came from Cameos.)
.... lrc on a sampire suit? Why?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What is a 120 Parry, tactics, anat or wrestle going for right now? I have 5 120 parry, 3 tactics, 4 anat and 8 parry and 2 wrestles just a quick glance on VS wrestles look to be 23mil on the low end and tactics 43mil parry 35 mil and anats 38mil Methinks if you have only made a couple hundred mil from scrolls you are doing something very wrong.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.... lrc on a sampire suit? Why?
I call it Sampire out of habit - I changed the template to whammy when the Doom revamp came out...and I'm tired of carrying the regs for Curse Weap & Wraith Form.

What is a 120 Parry, tactics, anat or wrestle going for right now? I have 5 120 parry, 3 tactics, 4 anat and 8 parry and 2 wrestles just a quick glance on VS wrestles look to be 23mil on the low end and tactics 43mil parry 35 mil and anats 38mil Methinks if you have only made a couple hundred mil from scrolls you are doing something very wrong.
Yeah, I'm not selling them/not doing spawns. Also, I haven't sold any in a while - the only (expensive) 120's I've gotten my hands on recently have been two 120 resists.