• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You know you've played too much Ultima Online when...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When you calculate the number of work days lost over the years because you stayed up all night playing UO.
I wonder how much of my lifetime I have spent sitting at my desk playing UO... and then wonder how much of that was spent watching "I promise not to hurt you." "If you join me we can protect one another."...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You wake up in cold sweat because in the nightmare all of your blessed gear lost its blessing at the end of Sanctuary and you keep dying trying to get back to your corpse...... and then when you do get to it...... it disappears just as you are about to click it.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You have a dream where your guild leader is pounding on your door and hes only wearing boxers holding a pot of coffee. Hes freaking out about being raided in despise, and yelling at you questioning why you are not online to help the guild. Then he hands you a hot pocket.

I heard this from a "friend" :eyes:.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You become concerned your virtual pet will go wild and poof when Comcast has a prolonged outage while you are in the middle of a fight. You reboot the modem 3 times, check the my account site which shows no outage? Same with text messaging out to xfinity...not aware of an outage!?! You go mobile onto diff provider to chat with xfinity to cofirm what you already know, there is now a reported outage in the area. They inform you no estimate on how long before service will be restored.

No internet, cable tv, or phone service = a worried greater dragon owner.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
~ You skip work to attend an EM Event or Idoc
~ You go to the vet to pick up your pet and say "Claim All"
~ You say "I'll see you in Fel" or yell "GUARDS" when someone angers you
~ You tell your dog "All Guard Me" and it looks at you like your an idiot
~ You put something down and start saying "I wish to lock this down"

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My taming hotkeys are: Alt A
Thumb on alt and pointer on A

As a passenger in a car I saw a stray dog that looked alot like a hell hound.

I caught myself moving my hand using my taming hotkey combo.

A long time ago on Napa we were having soooooo many shard crash/reverts.

I was hanging the washing out on the line in winter it was bitterly cold and windy, my hands were burning and aching.

I truly did think, and meant it: I hope this saves.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
when you go through 4 mice a year.
when you have a spread sheets to keep track of everything.
when you have 9 screens, 3 computers and two laptops so you can see all of britainia at once.
when you play so well that people give you death threats.
when most of your friends and family that dont play know more about the game than those that actually play.
when you have 3 fully trained characters on every shard.
when you have over 500 contacts on icq.
when you have access to over 20 vent servers.

But most importantly...

When you know more about the game and how it works than the people running it. :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...you wonder about the stats and slots of critters you come across.
Back in my teenage years I remember passing by a small lake with a nice island in the center and thinking to myself: "When it's winter and iced over, I should skate out to the island and mark a rune, so I can recall in when it's nice and summery." Felt like a giant idiot once I realized what I was thinking. :p

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
A guild mate tells you she is naked right out of the shower, with only a towel around her and all you can picture since you never seen her in real life is her UO Paper doll. Then you know you have played UO FAR to long. It really helps that she has one of the sexy voices I have ever heard and could do voice over for foreign movies and cartoons.

Last edited:

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A guild mate tells you she is naked right out of the shower, with only a towel around her and all you can picture since you never seen her in real life is her UO Paper doll. Then you know you have played UO FAR to long. It really helps that she has one of the sexy voices I have ever heard and could do voice over for foreign movies and cartoons.
You promised you wouldnt tell anyone about that!!!

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When someone give you flowers in your dream because they really like the way your bard plays her music. (I play this char way too much)

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
  • When your wife pass by the living room and she comments:
I hate that chicken sound from your game.... and she keep saying the same thing for over 18 years!!!

• When you go shopping or something IRL and you check the price tag and think, I could buy a castle with that price!!
  • You in bed already and all of sudden you ask yourself, Did I lock that last bag on the floor? and You cant sleep until you go check!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate that chicken sound from your game.... and she keep saying the same thing for over 18 years!!!

• When you go shopping or something IRL and you check the price tag and think, I could buy a castle with that price!!
  • You in bed already and all of sudden you ask yourself, Did I lock that last bag on the floor? and You cant sleep until you go check!
That one made me choke on my coffee. :D

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love this thread! Thank you for sharing you stories

I call UO my 2nd life and the I refer to my physical life as my 1st life. UO has and will be a large part of my real life so I do not refer to it as such in-game. This fantasy-cyber life and the relationships within it are just as real as my 1st life.

Thank you for sharing your tales. Happy Hunting. And I hope to see you in Sosaria! Play on, players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wore my UO T-Shirt to my Dr's appointment once... and he said what is that?

And I told him how I've played UO for years...

And he says what do you do in the game?

And I told him how I was the Mayor of Yew (This was long before the Governor System)...

Now everytime I see him he asks how my City is doing... I told him I'm now the Governor... and it's still doing just fine and I love my City.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The pink underlined - I could not count how many times that happens to me while creating houses and decorating...

and how many times my collegues at work (i'm working as a byer and controller - procurement - in a big german firm) looks confused by answering that company xyz has made an offer to us for 100.000 K (not Euro)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
For me it is the other way around.. sadly real life spills over into UO on occasion.. like every time I am running around and see that bird name "A Swift" I want to whip out my smart phone and prepare to catch them screwing up... then I remember I am in UO...

(yeah, thought I would see if there is anyone else with a trucking background in here :D )

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me it is the other way around.. sadly real life spills over into UO on occasion.. like every time I am running around and see that bird name "A Swift" I want to whip out my smart phone and prepare to catch them screwing up... then I remember I am in UO...

(yeah, thought I would see if there is anyone else with a trucking background in here :D )
You know what swift stands for right?

Sure Wish I Finished Training

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You know what swift stands for right?

Sure Wish I Finished Training
lol ... Stevie Wonder Institute For Trucking ;)

Used to drive for them a few years ago.. watched one driver wipe out 5 trucks total backing into a spot at their Decatur Ga Terminal. I was hollering at him on the radio and laying on the horn.. once I finally got the dude to stop he said he did not know I was talking to and blowing the horn at him... I was like.. man when you hit the first of the 5 trucks ya shouldda known to stop lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know how many times I've gone to bed plotting how to remodel a house or redecorate some area of a castle or keep or something...

But the one that always gave me night terrors where I'd have to log back in ... was always the "OMG did you lock that chest down!" .... or "OMG are you sure that was secure!"... And yes having to get up and check... just to be sure.

Thankfully now I work nights... so usually anymore I"m logging out just about server down... which then I'm ALWAYS double and triple checking before getting out of game.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
when you here your technical collegues speaking about Idoc's and me non-technical noob looks confused, not understanding what they mean but must think at once about house-falling (IDOC's)