• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS May's UO Newsletter

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who's complaining about EM program should organize own events.
I also hate thoose multiboxing scripters, but even a bashing event ist more than nothing.
I am sad that one person can ruin the trust in other Well engaged peoples.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can even paint **** in pink color and say its a lovely pillow. But as soon as you lay back on it, you will stink. EM-progam stinks. Period.
By no means are things perfect, but there are more positives than negatives that result from the EM program.

If we shut down something every time one person upset the balance tied to it, we would all know nothing of the internet, we would travel on foot, a lucky few on horse, we wouldn't know the joys of processed cheeze spread, and books would not exist.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People will cheat in games, given the opportunity. Not all of course, but most. Theres a difference between cheating as a player and cheating as a person in a position of trust and responsibility. Mesanna did what she did (the correct course of action) not because of cheating, but because of an abuse of power and responsibility, and I suspect even more because of the betrayal of trust.

Lots of folk lauding the corrupt individual in the thread link below until EM_Bennu puts them straight on the matter. It wasnt a mistake it was a determined, planned, repeated and continued abuse of power over a period of time. Thats not a mistake. And as also stated, the perp only fessed up and apologised AFTER he was caught.

Im sure there are many more corrupt EM's out there, but EM_Bennu at least showed us there are some good ones too.

[Discussion] - Clops Under Investigation

Last edited by a moderator:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Links or screens? That seems a bit of a stretch
Doesn't matter whether she comes right out and says it or not... her lack of action for the blatant abuses like Multi-boxing and such say the whole story without her having to say anything at all.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Links or screens? That seems a bit of a stretch
Condone: deliberately ignore, not take into consideration, disregard, take no notice of, take no account of, accept, allow, make allowances for, let pass, turn a blind eye to, overlook.

Screenshots or links not required.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to see action has been taken about some of the corruption within the game. Its been going on for far to long.

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I hereby formally petition to save the Navery hole. This will go as high as change.org if needed.
Yeah Mesanna should put the Navrey hole somewhere for everyone to use. Time for some nice Spider Shrine with access to the lair for 20th ;)

leavenavreyholealone1.jpg

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cares not one jot or tittle whether cheating continues in the game or not. This however is different.
[Discussion] - Clops Under Investigation
Greetings,

Agreed and I want to submit - multiboxing, scripting, macroing do not introduce new items into the game they farm up items the UO Admin team creates. In contrast, a person that hacks code to dupe or has access to Hand of God type tools is creating new items which is outside the normal realm of the common wealth players.

So in my limited experience / opinion I suspect its when folks dupe or use a EM type tool to create something out of thin code is when we will see the Hand of the UO Admin show up.

I remember when running multi-clients was a nono. Now, they just say its not supported. I mean, why not let folks run multi-clients that 10$ a window and it will keep UO in business.

Its just my opinion based on some antidote'l experience,
Frederick
Spellbreaker

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So I'm gonna go ahead and talk about the rest of the newsletter, since no one else has yet ;)

Looks like the team has been hard at work, as always...really REALLY looking forward to the 20th Anny event arc and I had a friend of mine peak into the art files awhile back to get a sneak preview...when Mesanna said she'd be bringing back the player-named bones for Halloween?? Ohh I got so happy! And I saw a pile of Gargoyle bones in the art files..wings and all! THAT was cool!!!

And something that looked like a jewelry box??? :) :) :)

~Waits with antici......pation ;) ~

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't matter whether she comes right out and says it or not... her lack of action for the blatant abuses like Multi-boxing and such say the whole story without her having to say anything at all.
EA is a money grubbing no nonsense I eat babies sort of company that Mesanna has to answer to.

I am thankful for Mesanna and her team...she has to make the tough decisions that let the rest of us keep playing. While her solutions may not always be agreeable to me, I have to trust that the decisions she makes were done for a reason. So I must trust her judgement.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who's complaining about EM program should organize own events.
I also hate thoose multiboxing scripters, but even a bashing event ist more than nothing.
I am sad that one person can ruin the trust in other Well engaged peoples.
I am not complaining and I offered alot of events. And I am quite coherent in my position as I am bashing the EM-program for about 6 years now. Publicly on this Board. There are lovely EMs, like those on EU and DF, but the program itself is rigged and corrupt and dumb and catering the worst playstyles and favoritism. Quod erat demonstrandum.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greetings,

Agreed and I want to submit - multiboxing, scripting, macroing do not introduce new items into the game they farm up items the UO Admin team creates. In contrast, a person that hacks code to dupe or has access to Hand of God type tools is creating new items which is outside the normal realm of the common wealth players.

So in my limited experience / opinion I suspect its when folks dupe or use a EM type tool to create something out of thin code is when we will see the Hand of the UO Admin show up.

I remember when running multi-clients was a nono. Now, they just say its not supported. I mean, why not let folks run multi-clients that 10$ a window and it will keep UO in business.

Its just my opinion based on some antidote'l experience,
Frederick
Spellbreaker
We are allowed to multi-client all we want, it's legal.

It's the multi-boxing I think a good portion of us want something done about.

NO the two are NOT the same. One takes just opening multiple clients, the other takes opening multiple clients and a 3rd party program.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a a black floor like tile you step on and puts right at navrey
Kinda like teleport direct to her

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh what the hell, why is that a thing that's not widely available?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a a black floor like tile you step on and puts right at navrey
Kinda like teleport direct to her
It's not that simple. It has to be placed in a house in Ter Mur to take you to Navery. When placed in another faucet/land, it will take you somewhere in that faucet/land.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yeah, definitely. That glacial cloth was selling for 500m+ per piece of cloth. I personally know a few people who spent many platinums on it, and they will not be pleased at all.
Can't say I didn't warn people...I'm surprised it just stayed with glacial and not Europa gold seeing as there are 60k stacks of bolts I've seen..weird

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
my guess is that Navrey may be one of the things that an anniversary or vet reward teleports to, come September.

After all, they were already talking about items for other areas, that work like the crystal from Zipactriotl, or the spheres. Mostly for Ilshenar, but I can think of a number of places that would be as useful, that currently don't have such access (almost all of them part of the Underworld or SA)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Running from the entrance of underworld to Navery takes less than 2 minutes. You should not need to depend on an accidental item to get to a place that's easy enough to get to to begin with.
If I am in the city and need to go two blocks I drive... if I am in a place where I can not drive I take a cab or mass transit...

my UO Characters are the same way.. why should they walk when they can recall or magically port in? imho there should be no places that I can not recall into in some fashion and recall out of in Tram. Save the slogging through the mud for the Neanderthals in T2A we Trammies dislike wearing our footwear out prematurely :p

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I am in the city and need to go two blocks I drive... if I am in a place where I can not drive I take a cab or mass transit...

my UO Characters are the same way.. why should they walk when they can recall or magically port in? imho there should be no places that I can not recall into in some fashion and recall out of in Tram. Save the slogging through the mud for the Neanderthals in T2A we Trammies dislike wearing our footwear out prematurely :p
That item was an accident to begin with. The fact Mesanna didn't delete it on sight was a miracle, in the old days devs used to delete moongates and such that were shortcuts.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was saying this for years: Stop this EM-nonsense. Neither these so-called events (of which 99% are utterly stupid and boring), nor those "rares" are worth it. Nothing against rares, but they should come from global events by the Devs...

The EM-program is a happening for scripters, multiboxers, cheaters, shardhoppers and other scum...

Um .... Wow....Eat a snickers... your not yourself when your hungry
Not sure if yu just generalized the entire population and EM/ shard but im thinking you just don't understand
Atlantics EM Bennu actually takes UO history and brings it back to life
His story Arcs/ quest events force players to dig into history. They make you learn yur way around
The events bring many players together that would other wise farm alone
Newer players benefit greatly from these events.... grumbles and goes back to Toad Town

:p

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As far as the ownership of glacial and/or void items, all glacial and void clothing items will be deleted.
Good. It's obnoxious.

Shame the guy who introduced it and bragged about how it will be legal forever (ironically selling it as quick as possible) will be the only one who profits from it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That item was an accident to begin with. The fact Mesanna didn't delete it on sight was a miracle, in the old days devs used to delete moongates and such that were shortcuts.
There's a tree/moongate outside of EM Bennu's house.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings,

If you have 10 accounts and average 5 drops per event, and go to 20 events in one month, that is 100 drops in a month going to one person. or roughly 20% of the total items for all events they participated that had at least 20 drops. The monthly payout for these individuals ranges from 15-50 platinum depending on actual haul size and the popularity of the items...yes, monthly.

This is a problem that should not be taken lightly, it isn't duping or turning water into wine, but it is something affecting the casual player to the Nth degree who gets nothing for their trouble. Players are literally making more $$$ than the devs. in certain cases due to multiboxxing with other add ons.

Keep in mind this is just the gold earned from events. Computers don't get tired the way we do...this is literally be more lucrative than farming bitcoin. and uses just a fraction of the energy. The only way I see to fix the problem is to deny the underlying cause from being legal to use.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was unaware of the Clops drama and had to read up on it. I have to admit I've found the discussion regarding Clops maleficence fairly interesting from a sociological standpoint.

To be perfectly honest, his sorry-not-sorry "apology" rang fairly hollow. After reading @EM_Bennu's post, someone who has seen firsthand the witch hunt @Mesanna rightfully conducted, Clops's post came across as completely disingenuous and patently self-serving. He did something that not only ended his career as an EM, but negatively impacted the program to such a degree it now requires more dev oversight from a studio that clearly doesn't have any to spare. He screwed every player in UO. No lube, no safe words. Every. Single. One.

Yet... People seem paradoxically to cheer his dismissal, whine about the deletion of phony "rares" (since they were being mass produced, calling them "rares" is laughable at best), lament the loss of his clearly tainted collection...and heap him with undeserved praise. While the loss of any genuine shard history is indeed a sad event, I have to concur with Mesanna's measured ruthlessness in this matter. Everything that player touched is suspect. Every event and action he took as an EM bears the stigma of a smugly self-righteous "limit pusher"'s corruption. I may not agree with her on a lot of things, but she did the right thing in hunting down and cutting out this cancer.

It has been said that the cloth he counterfeited was sold for 500m, that multiple people purchased multiple plat(!) worth. You don't have to be Sherlock to deduce he did it for the phat stacks to be made off the RMT sites reselling the gold. Hell, he didn't even pull a GM Darwin and claim he was "helping a friend with debt." Greed and or a complete lack of morals motivated his actions. He claimed not to be a duper or a scammer, which is certainly a lie. He knowingly "duped" illegal "rares" by abusing his power, then scammed people into buying them.

People talk about still respecting him. Why? Because he fessed up after he was caught, after the damage was already done? Would you still respect an acquaintance who sold phony stock to your unsuspecting neighbors, only to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and wander away smiling (thinking about the loot he managed to hide) when what his victims thought was their property got repossessed? Clops doesn't deserve your respect or your sympathy. His innocent victims do, but just the innocents as I'm sure some knew exactly what they were getting into.

He deserves your scorn, condemnation and contempt for harming the UO community.

For defrauding your friends.

For personally hammering an undeserved nail in UO's coffin.

All his accounts should be banned and his items deleted
. He should never be allowed to return to UO. Like GM Darwin, he knowingly, willfully nuked his bridges from orbit and slunk away into the darkness with only a pompous fapping of faux remorse.

In that darkness he should forever remain.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have 10 accounts and average 5 drops per event, and go to 20 events in one month, that is 100 drops in a month going to one person. or roughly 20% of the total items for all events they participated that had at least 20 drops. The monthly payout for these individuals ranges from 15-50 platinum depending on actual haul size and the popularity of the items...yes, monthly.
Very good point, However, I play Baja and I don't see 10 mult-iboxer so its not happening here like your describing on our shard, it could very well be on other shards but it not on Baja.

A possible solution is make EM drops become shard bound. I'm also gonna say it, I'm not a fan of the EM program anyways. From what little I have participated in I don't find them fun. I would prefer we the Home Shard players created our own events ie- doom run or Medusa etc this evening. Just my opinion I know we all see things differently and if you love them that is fine I'm ok with that as well.

... Players are literally making more $$$ than the devs. in certain cases due to multiboxxing with other add ons.
Another great point but I wonder is it your opinion someone is making more money then the dev's or can you show me some documentation? I think if selling items for real money was a good business we would see a growth in the >out of game< item selling market. Last time I checked the folks that sell UO items for cash are kinda disappearing. Now you could be right I just don't see the cumulative evidence.

Thank you for incite and sharing your experience. I'm sorry your if not having fun or getting what you want out of the EM events.

If you want to continue dialog on these topics lets chat in a different place and ill get back to the topic.

Thanks!
Frederick
Spellbreaker

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found this bit in the new letter to be great!

6. Can the grizzled mare get animal trained?
Why yes, it can we will make the change in the future.

This sounds like a great idea. I always wanted to use this creature but always opt for an ethy. If we can upgrade this pet to 5 slots that would be sooo coool! Cant wait.

Wonder if they will do Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon in the same manor.

We wish you good fortune in all your adventures.
Frederick
Spellbreaker

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are allowed to multi-client all we want, it's legal..
Agreed, it is ok to do. My statement is that it was a nono. I've been playing for about 20 years and I'm recalling a time when it WAS a nono back in the day. Hope that gives clarity.

Also I'm gonna get back on topic so if you want to dialog about this more (id love to by the way) we can do it elsewhere.

Thanks for your incite and perspective.
Frederick
Spellbreaker

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If this is going to be another bash the EM Program I don't want to see that.

I've warned before about the EM Program becoming a money game... and I was right... Absolute power corrupts absolutely... give power to people who like to vendor and collect and sell and you'll see what happens.

Personally I think some EMs are just in it to get money. Which I agree with others the items should be shard bound... Of all things to make Shard Bound that would be one of them.... and don't start crying to me about this is my gameplay.... NO NO IT ISN'T .... Making a buck is. Don't BS about it.... we all know what it is... it's a money making grab all. And personally it makes me sick.

I prefer the story and the more RP aspect of it... adding history and legends to the game... stories and adventure... but IMO ever since AOS brought us all this "stuff" and properties and all that ... the game has gone from community and working together... where you needed nice groups to do things... and it's fallen to soloistic greedy gameplay... where it's all about worth and making a buck... and getting stuff. The game has lost something special.

Mesanna made the mistake from the start/return of the EM Program... before when we all thought that there were NO ITEMS to be given... we still participated because it was fun. When items started falling and people started to "value" the items... it lost something... To me some of the coolest "drops" I got were the ones made by the EM's just pieces of normal armor... weapons and such... Normally colored even.

Solving riddles and puzzles and decoding was enjoyable... hard to enjoy things now when you can't see the EM half the time.... too many people are dropping EVs and RCs and they are all over on-top of the EM making following what's going on next to impossible... with 6 to 10 people in our Discord server for the event we are all trying to follow what's going on but with the spell spamming, tomfoolery and other crap going on it's difficult we have to piece together what we each are able to pick out from the flow of texts...

Personally I preferred when the EM's would participate with the players and Role-players... coming to our council meetings .... even attacking them tying that in with the events going on at the time and keeping it fluid... Sadly the EMs no longer are allowed to do such things anymore. Used to be you could invite them to player run events and such like Poetry contests ... our Trans-Britannian Derby and the like and they would come... Was nice to have the King visit the Theatre for my Annual Costume Contest. Felt more like community. But someone cried that that wasn't "fair".... and such and now it's no more... it was fair as all get out... they could have put on a community event and gotten the "King" to come... just like anyone else. But because they aren't into the RP side of things doesn't mean that it shouldn't/couldn't be done. But whatever.

I rather thought when the EM Program started up by reading what they were planning it certainly sounded like they were going to benefit and enhance RP and communities... give folk reasons to have such things and do such things... and at first it really was working... and then it died. Now everything seems like hack and slash to get to the boss we all know there is a drop as soon as they split us into 2 groups. And that's when all the "friends" get gated in...

As people have said this is about making money now... greed plain and simple. One day I hope it goes back to being about building a community and lasting friendships which IMO are FAR more valuable than a bit of pixel crack.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
If this is going to be another bash the EM Program I don't want to see that.

I've warned before about the EM Program becoming a money game... and I was right... Absolute power corrupts absolutely... give power to people who like to vendor and collect and sell and you'll see what happens.

Personally I think some EMs are just in it to get money. Which I agree with others the items should be shard bound... Of all things to make Shard Bound that would be one of them.... and don't start crying to me about this is my gameplay.... NO NO IT ISN'T .... Making a buck is. Don't BS about it.... we all know what it is... it's a money making grab all. And personally it makes me sick.

I prefer the story and the more RP aspect of it... adding history and legends to the game... stories and adventure... but IMO ever since AOS brought us all this "stuff" and properties and all that ... the game has gone from community and working together... where you needed nice groups to do things... and it's fallen to soloistic greedy gameplay... where it's all about worth and making a buck... and getting stuff. The game has lost something special.

Mesanna made the mistake from the start/return of the EM Program... before when we all thought that there were NO ITEMS to be given... we still participated because it was fun. When items started falling and people started to "value" the items... it lost something... To me some of the coolest "drops" I got were the ones made by the EM's just pieces of normal armor... weapons and such... Normally colored even.

Solving riddles and puzzles and decoding was enjoyable... hard to enjoy things now when you can't see the EM half the time.... too many people are dropping EVs and RCs and they are all over on-top of the EM making following what's going on next to impossible... with 6 to 10 people in our Discord server for the event we are all trying to follow what's going on but with the spell spamming, tomfoolery and other crap going on it's difficult we have to piece together what we each are able to pick out from the flow of texts...

Personally I preferred when the EM's would participate with the players and Role-players... coming to our council meetings .... even attacking them tying that in with the events going on at the time and keeping it fluid... Sadly the EMs no longer are allowed to do such things anymore. Used to be you could invite them to player run events and such like Poetry contests ... our Trans-Britannian Derby and the like and they would come... Was nice to have the King visit the Theatre for my Annual Costume Contest. Felt more like community. But someone cried that that wasn't "fair".... and such and now it's no more... it was fair as all get out... they could have put on a community event and gotten the "King" to come... just like anyone else. But because they aren't into the RP side of things doesn't mean that it shouldn't/couldn't be done. But whatever.

I rather thought when the EM Program started up by reading what they were planning it certainly sounded like they were going to benefit and enhance RP and communities... give folk reasons to have such things and do such things... and at first it really was working... and then it died. Now everything seems like hack and slash to get to the boss we all know there is a drop as soon as they split us into 2 groups. And that's when all the "friends" get gated in...

As people have said this is about making money now... greed plain and simple. One day I hope it goes back to being about building a community and lasting friendships which IMO are FAR more valuable than a bit of pixel crack.
I LIKED rares but the whole EM program seems to have devolved into groups of players screaming and cheating for rares that they don't even want...they turn around and flip them for profit. Roleplay and community are not the focus. Here's the rub though, a game developer CAN put rare items into a game easily but HOW can they put roleplay and community into a game? Short answer they cannot! Roleplay and community come from the players.

I think what needs to happen is, Broadsword needs to make a robust engine for rares...that gives the collectors new items, etc. that doesn't involve EMs. Have really cool rares available and new ones, coming up all the time. Personally, I would make a casino and steal every penny from those guys through RNG! To the point where no one is running around claiming to have plat anymore and people have to actually go out and earn money again. In my opinion the whole idea of having rares coming out of EM events is deeply flawed and foolish given that there is a Doom guantlet, stealing engine, etc. in the game already. If anything it shows that players want more variety in rares, and existing systems are too predictable and boring. Lol, couldn't a developer just expand the loot table...tweak drop rates, add items? Why have EM events to do this when those players clearly aren't in it for the story and community anway?

Make an EM program that helps the community that doesn't involve any rares...just roleplay and community, community, community. Give the EMs more freedom in what they can do, just take away the rares. The spoilers and collectors won't come to the events anymore, and the player community can enjoy them. I have been so disgusted by events, because of the way the players act, the predictable way the events are set up, etc., and the greedy rares market that I stopped attending events entirely. There just isn't anything going on at events that interests me.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Here's the rub though, a game developer CAN put rare items into a game easily but HOW can they put roleplay and community into a game? Short answer they cannot! Roleplay and community come from the players.

Then make an EM program that helps the community that doesn't involve any rares...just roleplay and community, community, community. Give the EMs more freedom in what they can do, essentially seers who can spawn monsters, facilitate events, etc. The spoilers and collectors won't come to the events anymore, and the player community can enjoy them.
I get what you are saying.. but.. at least on Atlantic (I do not play other shards) the best thing the Developers ever did to drive role play is to appoint EM Bennu. Yes, it does take players to engage but he drives a lot of the rp on Atl. Or.. in honesty did.. I am just coming back from about a 1 year break (again) and he was a major factor in the upswing of RP at that time. I can only imagine he still is *shrugs*

The sad fact, to me it is a fact at any rate, is what drives community a lot of the time is incentive.. or a slight bit of greed. I know of a lot of people who would have never had attended an event just for the RP or story line.. but the draw of the "drop" drug them there.. often times kicking and screaming about lag lol... but once they were there for the drop they found themselves engaged by the EM.. they found themselves following the arc.. and at times found themselves involved in the community aspect.

The way I see it is.. anything that can be done to draw or drive "community" should be done.. even if occasionally we all have to deal with a bad apple or two.. thankfully those at the helm see it that way.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Ok I am just saying that the EM program is a poor choice for these "drops" and there are better ways the developer could handle it. Why not add them to Felucca champs, the gauntlet, make stealable, a casino or something else? Just make them super rare, and add new items all the time, limit how many times items can drop total. How bored are you with existing artifacts, pinks, and power scrolls? Exactly, that's why these guys camp the events and ruin them. If it takes greed to draw you to an event, I dunno because the behavior of each one who comes motivated by greed drives away two or three others who used to roleplay and be involved for the community.

Last edited:

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very good point, However, I play Baja and I don't see 10 mult-iboxer so its not happening here like your describing on our shard, it could very well be on other shards but it not on Baja.
I was at the Baja event just 2 nights ago and yes there were multi-boxers there. So yes, it is happening on Baja.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was unaware of the Clops drama and had to read up on it. I have to admit I've found the discussion regarding Clops maleficence fairly interesting from a sociological standpoint.

To be perfectly honest, his sorry-not-sorry "apology" rang fairly hollow. After reading @EM_Bennu's post, someone who has seen firsthand the witch hunt @Mesanna rightfully conducted, Clops's post came across as completely disingenuous and patently self-serving. He did something that not only ended his career as an EM, but negatively impacted the program to such a degree it now requires more dev oversight from a studio that clearly doesn't have any to spare. He screwed every player in UO. No lube, no safe words. Every. Single. One.

Yet... People seem paradoxically to cheer his dismissal, whine about the deletion of phony "rares" (since they were being mass produced, calling them "rares" is laughable at best), lament the loss of his clearly tainted collection...and heap him with undeserved praise. While the loss of any genuine shard history is indeed a sad event, I have to concur with Mesanna's measured ruthlessness in this matter. Everything that player touched is suspect. Every event and action he took as an EM bears the stigma of a smugly self-righteous "limit pusher"'s corruption. I may not agree with her on a lot of things, but she did the right thing in hunting down and cutting out this cancer.

It has been said that the cloth he counterfeited was sold for 500m, that multiple people purchased multiple plat(!) worth. You don't have to be Sherlock to deduce he did it for the phat stacks to be made off the RMT sites reselling the gold. Hell, he didn't even pull a GM Darwin and claim he was "helping a friend with debt." Greed and or a complete lack of morals motivated his actions. He claimed not to be a duper or a scammer, which is certainly a lie. He knowingly "duped" illegal "rares" by abusing his power, then scammed people into buying them.

People talk about still respecting him. Why? Because he fessed up after he was caught, after the damage was already done? Would you still respect an acquaintance who sold phony stock to your unsuspecting neighbors, only to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and wander away smiling (thinking about the loot he managed to hide) when what his victims thought was their property got repossessed? Clops doesn't deserve your respect or your sympathy. His innocent victims do, but just the innocents as I'm sure some knew exactly what they were getting into.

He deserves your scorn, condemnation and contempt for harming the UO community.

For defrauding your friends.

For personally hammering an undeserved nail in UO's coffin.

All his accounts should be banned and his items deleted
. He should never be allowed to return to UO. Like GM Darwin, he knowingly, willfully nuked his bridges from orbit and slunk away into the darkness with only a pompous fapping of faux remorse.

In that darkness he should forever remain.
People are stupid and greedy. You can argue whatever you want, they wont follow reason or moral.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think what needs to happen is, Broadsword needs to make a robust engine for rares...that gives the collectors new items, etc. that doesn't involve EMs. Have really cool rares available and new ones, coming up all the time. Personally, I would make a casino and steal every penny from those guys through RNG! To the point where no one is running around claiming to have plat anymore and people have to actually go out and earn money again. In my opinion the whole idea of having rares coming out of EM events is deeply flawed and foolish given that there is a Doom guantlet, stealing engine, etc. in the game already. If anything it shows that players want more variety in rares, and existing systems are too predictable and boring. Lol, couldn't a developer just expand the loot table...tweak drop rates, add items? Why have EM events to do this when those players clearly aren't in it for the story and community anway?
This! Mostly the part where we already have systems in place that can used in a fair manner and reworked to make it fair for the entire player base.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This! Mostly the part where we already have systems in place that can used in a fair manner and reworked to make it fair for the entire player base.
There is nothing that will ever be "fair for the entire payer base". Cheats will always be cheats.. and cheats will always find a way to cheat regardless of any safeguards a company puts into place.

I mean even if the utopian like plan there was put into effect.. cool. What do you think would happen? Carry it from the Utopia like environment and take it to reality... those same multi-boxing rascals would be hitting the areas where the rare and limited number items drop. They would not only multibox but they would figure out a way to script farm it as well.. and they could do that 23/7..

That same logic was applied to resource farming.. "Script miners are killing the economy on colored ores/board, we need something done to make it fair for all"...... that led us to what? Random color veins, spots that do not always yield the same ore. How did that work our for the "fairness of all"? :confused::confused: Last time I checked the cheaters were still doing rather well and the average player was bowing to them each and every time they needed Valorite... because they did not have days to gather the ore needed...

*edit*

Now Shard Bound items is something I can get behind...

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is nothing that will ever be "fair for the entire payer base". Cheats will always be cheats.. and cheats will always find a way to cheat regardless of any safeguards a company puts into place.
I agree that there will always be cheaters and they will always take advantage. The fairness comes in the form "that all have access to the content" not just the people in know have access. The EM program as it now is so unpredictable its damn near stupid.

Even with web sites dedicated to scheduled events half the time they are cancelled or re-scheduled. I or anyone should be able to obtain these in game drop items. IMO As a very long time player the EM program only favors the ocd 24/7 player base. People have been crying foul for as long as the EM system has been in place, including myself. No matter how long it took(this time), recent events just prove that EM programs will always sow the seeds of greed, unless there is some kind of positive change.

Last edited:

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was at the Baja event just 2 nights ago and yes there were multi-boxers there. So yes, it is happening on Baja.
meh,.. But lets just say its true -> there is a few folks at a Baja EM event running 10 accounts each multi boxing. It makes me contemplate, I wonder if the multi-boxers could be Baja natives trying to get an EM item on their own shard because x-sharders are raiding us. I don't know but thanks for coming to Baja hope you enjoyed it here.

Be blessed in all your adventurers,
Frederick
Spellbreaker

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be happy to point them out to you the next time I play. I counted 6 multibotters at the last Baja event...the largest being a 10 account bot. You won't see a majority of them until the final boss, which is when they have their main account gate them in.

A possible solution is make EM drops become shard bound. I'm also gonna say it, I'm not a fan of the EM program anyways. From what little I have participated in I don't find them fun. I would prefer we the Home Shard players created our own events ie- doom run or Medusa etc this evening. Just my opinion I know we all see things differently and if you love them that is fine I'm ok with that as well.
Shard bound EM items would only lead to more dead shards. As it stands, it is the event goers who help keep these low pop shards going. They are in essence the silk road to some of these shards, as they help to keep them supplied by dispersing goods from the busier servers. If you make items shard bound this trade goes out the window, and these servers lose most of their playing base in the long term.

Another great point but I wonder is it your opinion someone is making more money then the dev's or can you show me some documentation? I think if selling items for real money was a good business we would see a growth in the >out of game< item selling market. Last time I checked the folks that sell UO items for cash are kinda disappearing. Now you could be right I just don't see the cumulative evidence.
If you make 50 platinum a month from events and bot farming, and 1 plat sells for $120 US, that amounts to $6000 a month. Is it still profitable? Yes, as long as multiboxxing continues to be a thing, RL transactions are still profitable to these individuals.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks, as a reminder, making public accusations against other members, guilds or any Broadsword employees is against our Rules of Conduct.

Per our rules, under the Trolling section, the following is prohibited:
  • Make accusations or publicly air disputes or grievances. Such public accusations can not be resolved on the forums and serve only to stir animosity, which negatively impacts the community as a whole.
  • You may not make public accusations of misconduct against or about any other user of Stratics, staff members, EMs, other players, developers, or guilds.
    • While you may discuss in-game problems in general terms, these should not be written in a way that makes concern(s) identifiable to any individual(s). Disputes or grievances should be taken to private channels; if you need clarification as to the proper channels please contact a moderator or administrator.
    • Attempts to dodge this rule through pointed implications, or veiled accusations may at the discretion of the moderation staff be considered a personal attack and action taken accordingly.

I've had to issue some warnings and I see other posts that are running very close to violating this. Remember, this also covers the developers and EMs. Fair discussion of the EM program is fine, but outright false accusations won't be allowed to stand here.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be happy to point them out to you the next time I play. I counted 6 multibotters at the last Baja event...the largest being a 10 account bot. You won't see a majority of them until the final boss, which is when they have their main account gate them in.
I'm still not sold on that but I will contemplate it.

I Shard bound EM items would only lead to more dead shards. As it stands, it is the event goers who help keep these low pop shards going. They are in essence the silk road to some of these shards, as they help to keep them supplied by dispersing goods from the busier servers. If you make items shard bound this trade goes out the window, and these servers lose most of their playing base in the long term.
I fully disagree with you here. Look we have about a dozen people that play weekly on our shard (it has increased since the new pet patch yay). But EM event items being x-sharded by x-shard players does not make native shard players any gold. Ohh yay I sold some Service Repair Contracts to some x-shard / multi-boxer players on the silk road. But I can see why an x-shard / multi-boxer player would want to convince others it would effect the economy because it would effect an x-shard / multi-boxer players economy.

I
If you make 50 platinum a month from events and bot farming, and 1 plat sells for $120 US, that amounts to $6000 a month. Is it still profitable? Yes, as long as multi-boxing continues to be a thing, RL transactions are still profitable to these individuals.
IF is the key word and you basing it on your own opinion of that very IF not some true statics. With out facts its hard to say. The circumstantial evidence is -> if people could make the kind of money your suggesting then we would see more >UO Real Money Stores< and that is just not the case, we are seeing a decline. Personally Im over the micro transaction type app device games hints why I enjoy UO's flat monthly fee.

I submit this to you. Native slow shard players are upset at the X-Sharders (I heard this on our shard at the Gov meeting) and x-sharders are upset at the multi-boxers ie you and other x-sharders. It sounds like your in the middle catigory hints your point of view. I'm not saying your wrong to feel the way you do. Im saying each level has a problem that the other is not willing to see solved because it benefits them to much to not see it solved.

Thanks for your engaging conversation!
Frederick
Spellbreaker

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fully disagree with you here. Look we have about a dozen people that play weekly on our shard (it has increased since the new pet patch yay). But EM event items being x-sharded by x-shard players does not make native shard players any gold. Ohh yay I sold some Service Repair Contracts to some x-shard / multi-boxer players on the silk road. But I can see why an x-shard / multi-boxer player would want to convince others it would effect the economy because it would effect an x-shard / multi-boxer players economy.
Powerscrolls, stat scrolls, resources, armor, weps, ect. All of this and more get transferred to Baja and other such shards on a daily basis.

IF is the key word and you basing it on your own opinion of that very IF not some true statics. With out facts its hard to say. The circumstantial evidence is -> if people could make the kind of money your suggesting then we would see more >UO Real Money Stores< and that is just not the case, we are seeing a decline. Personally Im over the micro transaction type app device games hints why I enjoy UO's flat monthly fee.
There is no IF, these people are not multiboxxing for pleasure. Facts? A friend of mine bought a car, a house, and paid off his student debt by playing this game. Not 10 years ago mind you, but within the last 5. I can physically ride in the car, have dinner in the house, and see the sigh of relief on his face from having paid off the student loan. While I don't agree with how he did it, I am not going to fault him for doing something the game staff left the door open to.

I submit this to you. Native slow shard players are upset at the X-Sharders (I heard this on our shard at the Gov meeting) and x-sharders are upset at the multi-boxers ie you and other x-sharders. It sounds like your in the middle catigory hints your point of view. I'm not saying your wrong to feel the way you do. Im saying each level has a problem that the other is not willing to see solved because it benefits them to much to not see it solved.
It is easy to bunch us all together into one big ball of "I don't want", and I don't blame people for having this opinion. Natives consider x sharders AND multibotters to be the same thing in many cases, so I don't see how one could easily differentiate between the two.

I honestly consider myself to be a native on all the shards I play these days. After taking up residence over a decade ago in most places, the only difference I see between you and I is I pay rent and you own. :)

I will reiterate, if multiboxxing is done away with, the natives would get more drops, there would be less greed and people playing for profit, and less commotion as a result from the first two things mentioned. This isn't a theory or opinion, this is fact.

Last edited: