• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking for New Castle Designs

Posted on February 24, 2017 by Mesanna
Good Afternoon Everyone,
Let me see if I can’t clear up some confusion. Please remember we have not finalized any plans as of this date but here is what we are thinking.
  1. Castle would have the same footprint
  2. The design would still be considered a prefab house
  3. You would be able to access the design via the tool for original placement or via the house sign for a change in design. We are still working out what happens to items inside the house so stay tuned for upcoming announcements.
  4. When you submit a design idea be very specific as to what you want.
  5. When the final 3 designs are picked we will name them after the designers in game.
I hope this clears up some of the confusion and please remember, these are subject to change the closer we get to actually putting the concept in game.
Thanks everyone and we look forward to seeing your ideas.

Greetings all,
I know we have all talked about this before but I think putting in new castle designs for our 20th year would be something great to do. So we the team would like to have any designs from you guys. Looking for 3 stand outs to use. If you have any ideas or just like to design houses send them to me at [email protected].
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Our RSS feed does not update posts that are edited after the feed picks them up. I've pulled the edited post in, stickied it, and am locking the old one. To the best of my knowledge, this is the most current official word we have on this topic. Thank you @hungry4knowhow for pointing it out in the old thread.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
still doesnt answer my question, which was locked.

Id like to design a castle for the contest
Well there's not an official program as far as I know. There was one back in the day when house building started but I can't find it now. It was an offical UO tool but probably only went to 18x18. There were programs like UO Architect and Krrios House Builder but I have no idea if they're still available, filled with viruses, or would even work for this :p MEGA STORE ?

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am trying out a design on Siege..still not complete because houses are REALLY expensive to build here lol but I would love to see this as a castle design....

What'd I'd REALLY like @Kyronix is for you to ask Mesanna if there is a program or something else we can use to actually build on the 31x31 plot in the game world PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!

I tried on graph paper but I can't get the size right....for a 3d-type effect....

castle.jpg

But here's the house I'm designing on Siege that I would love to have the 31x31 plot to build on

SiegeCastle.jpg

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just emailed my 31 x 31 design to Mesanna. Did it in Minecraft so it is on the clunky side. The alternating colors in the perimeter tiles were for counting and the raised orangish slabs are supposed to represent teleporter tiles. The pictures show the layout of each floor and then just some views from around the interior.

Screenshot_2017-03-01-07-48-33.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-11-33-23.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-14-13-43.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-12-03.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-13-22.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-15-31.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-16-49.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-17-28.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-18-19.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-23-09.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-27-41.png Screenshot_2017-03-01-15-27-11.png

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Be nice if you all knew how many levels it can be 2.5 or 4 ? Maybe 5 ?

Just woundering...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UOFiddler.
UOArchitect.

Google is your friend. Both work with current files
I took a look at those and don't really find those all that viable. Without a "real" UO tool I don't see this going too far. They start talking about logging into servers that support gray shards and such and I'm not good with that. Not looking to take college classes on programming lol

Last edited:

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I took a look at those and don't really find those all that viable. Without a "real" UO tool I don't see this going too far. They start talking about logging into servers that support gray shards and such and I'm not good with that. Not looking to take college classes on programming lol
Well the programs were initially made to support the free shard/grey shard community so was InsideUO, nobody has a problem with it though....UOFiddler is the exact same thing as InsideUO. UOArchitect is basically the same thing as UOHomebuilder.

Of course any support is going to come from the community that built them, however you don't have to login to anything to use them.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well the programs were initially made to support the free shard/grey shard community so was InsideUO, nobody has a problem with it though....UOFiddler is the exact same thing as InsideUO. UOArchitect is basically the same thing as UOHomebuilder.

Of course any support is going to come from the community that built them, however you don't have to login to anything to use them.
You seem to have a grip on this. A simple walk through would be appreciated :) Where to get them, how to get started *smiles*

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I say that cause I downloaded 3 or 4 different ones. They didn't work out of the box. So I pointed them at the UO directories. Didn't work. So I inserted them into the UO directories. Didn't work. So any advice appreciated :) Advice as in actually got a castle design you could actually work with etc. I'm sure some of these work if you have a deep understanding of it, but to the casual player it isn't viable. A couple of the sites pretty much state that.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My guess would be to get an old copy of Inside UO. Load up an old copy of UO. Point inside UO to that and then maybe. But this is getting a little out of hand for me to bother with. I don't need another job figuring this out lol

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess would be to get an old copy of Inside UO. Load up an old copy of UO. Point inside UO to that and then maybe. But this is getting a little out of hand for me to bother with. I don't need another job figuring this out lol
Try Minecraft. You can buy the Minecraft Pocket Edition (MCPE) from the Google play store for $7 for Android tablets or for $10 from the Microsoft store for Windows 10 systems. You can also get it for iOS but I don't know the cost.

The castle design I did with it was my first serious attempt at using it. My previous uses have only included "rescuing" one of my grandkids when he messed around with it (he doesn't really play it yet) and digs himself into a hole and can't get out.

Make a world in Creative mode , peaceful difficulty level, always daylight, and flat world type. When you're ready to do screenshots, go into settings and use the "hide GUI" option to get clean screen shots. If you're using an Android tablet you may have to look up how to do screenshots. Simultaneously pressing the power button and volume down buttons worked on mine.

Give it a try. Won't cost much and you might have fun .

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Well there's not an official program as far as I know. There was one back in the day when house building started but I can't find it now. It was an offical UO tool but probably only went to 18x18. There were programs like UO Architect and Krrios House Builder but I have no idea if they're still available, filled with viruses, or would even work for this :p MEGA STORE ?
That last linked one (as well as the others, I believe) won't run on a modern UO install, because the art files have changed since it was written. You might be able to run it if you had an unpatched version of UO from pre-SA; ML might work, UO:R definitely should.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I say that cause I downloaded 3 or 4 different ones. They didn't work out of the box. So I pointed them at the UO directories. Didn't work. So I inserted them into the UO directories. Didn't work. So any advice appreciated :) Advice as in actually got a castle design you could actually work with etc. I'm sure some of these work if you have a deep understanding of it, but to the casual player it isn't viable. A couple of the sites pretty much state that.
Well yes they are going to require some work. Most programs are patch works these days due to the majority of the community having moved on. So unless you are willing to track some things down via google, and inevitably read advice from gray shard related sites then yeah you're out of luck.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That last linked one (as well as the others, I believe) won't run on a modern UO install, because the art files have changed since it was written. You might be able to run it if you had an unpatched version of UO from pre-SA; ML might work, UO:R definitely should.
They will both absolutely run with .UOP files, which is the new format that changed from .MUL

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
They will both absolutely run with .UOP files, which is the new format that changed from .MUL
The last one mentioned wants graphics from artidx.mul; it's been a while since that file existed.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The last one mentioned wants graphics from artidx.mul; it's been a while since that file existed.
Agian, they will both work with current UO files.

Google is your friend. UOP Packer is one option.

and the file you reference is now artLegacyMUL.uop

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Anyway.... I'm using UO Architect and loaded UO:R. Put UOR into a new directory. That works for me!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Agian, they will both work with current UO files.

Google is your friend. UOP Packer is one option.

and the file you reference is now artLegacyMUL.uop
You never explained any of this that made any sense lol I got it now... never mind lol. If anyone doesn't want to spend hours reading through nonsense they can PM me. I can actually explain it. Very little Google involved ;)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The thing is...we shouldn't have to resort to using utilities designed for free shards etc. If they want us to do this they should give us the tools we need...not make us go hunt down some unapproved sites and download a myriad of programs.

Minecraft ftw I say :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The thing is...we shouldn't have to resort to using utilities designed for free shards etc. If they want us to do this they should give us the tools we need...not make us go hunt down some unapproved sites and download a myriad of programs.

Yes I doubt this thing I'm doing will work out but I've asked for a walk through and all I'm getting is Google! lol Trying to figure out a 2nd floor now. But yes if they are serious about this there should be a tool. They had one before they could probably adapt.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cant exactly give you a walkthrough with links to sites that aren't allowed on stratics. Feel free to ICQ you me. You have my number @Capt. Lucky

Hence the google references...I didn't figure it would be hard to google: UOArchitect UOP Files and UOFiddler UOP Files.....and then read some forum posts.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I cant exactly give you a walkthrough with links to sites that aren't allowed on stratics. Feel free to ICQ you me. You have my number @Capt. Lucky

Hence the google references...I didn't figure it would be hard to google: UOArchitect UOP Files and UOFiddler UOP Files.....and then read some forum posts.
Whatever dude.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
If anyone else is playing along F1 F2 etc takes you to different levels. if you start with a 31x31 you'll need to hold shift and use the mouse together to move it around. I'm not logging into their server btw. This is all off line. Rest is sorta like the UO house tool.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

That's what I said for YEARS .... but they took all those tools away and broke most of them beyond repair... either to fight back at Free Servers or to keep us from looking in the art files prior to release and finding things in there they don't want us to see before they are released like that hideously childish Easter Basket picture. Which... um... still was found. Whatever the reason... what's done is done. I tried to make improved designs for the Keep and Castle in Landmark before it died... But it wasn't the same.

At any rate we do what we must to get the job done. I for one would do what I can to improve UO. My love for the game has not changed over the years... my frustration with the direction it is taken has.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you kidding? It's the only way I've figured out anything thus far :) Honestly you've been zero help.
Weird...i dont have any icq messages from you. And im the one that put those programs out there. Sounds like you're just being a salty pancake l

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There use to be pictures in the UO Homes and Castles Forums, I will say years ago of different Castle and Keep designs, is there any way that a Stratics person can find them? I have looked and find nothing. At least one of them had an open first floor with just the outer walls and floor tiles.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one that is scared about the devs even touching this? These are the same people that have said for years that it wasnt even possible... then came up with the custom tiles just a short while ago to appease this issue with customers... Now they are asking for designs? These are the same people that changed Idocs to 15 hours "intentionally"

Stop adding things and fix what you have...

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one that is scared about the devs even touching this? These are the same people that have said for years that it wasnt even possible... then came up with the custom tiles just a short while ago to appease this issue with customers... Now they are asking for designs? These are the same people that changed Idocs to 15 hours "intentionally"

I wont be the first to try thats for sure.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Weird...i dont have any icq messages from you. And im the one that put those programs out there. Sounds like you're just being a salty ***** l
You've been off my ICQ since our last ICQ conversation. lol Jesus like NOBODY thought to Google it. lol I really can't deal with you. Yes we all knew the stuff was out there. Getting it to actually work is the tricky part.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You've been off my ICQ since our last ICQ conversation. lol Jesus like NOBODY thought to Google it. lol I really can't deal with you. Yes we all knew the stuff was out there. Getting it to actually work is the tricky part.
Are you ****ing kidding me? The solutions for both programs are on the google front page. I gave you everything:
New file format .uop
Programs: uofiddler/uoarchitect

Even offered to help via icq. You just want to whine because its not plug and play. Baby.

And you still cant figure it out? You need handheld like my 2yr old?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

I am also afraid. Messing with housing is dicey in the event something does end up going wrong.

To the dismay of others - I don't want to see any type of "conversion" feature. It should be for new placements only.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am also afraid. Messing with housing is dicey in the event something does end up going wrong.

To the dismay of others - I don't want to see any type of "conversion" feature. It should be for new placements only.
There are serious downsides/risks to both options. Going to be a risk either way broadsword goes.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Are you shawarmaing kidding me? The solutions for both programs are on the google front page. I gave you everything:
New file format .uop

Even offered to help via icq. You just want to whine because its not plug and play. Baby.

Mines done. Where's yours? If your got this down show us something :) I honestly doubt you have a clue.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Are you shawarmaing kidding me? The solutions for both programs are on the google front page. I gave you everything:
New file format .uop

Mines done. Where's yours? If your got this down show us something :) I honestly doubt you have a clue.
Gents - lets take the personal swipes to PM or elsewhere. Please do not derail the thread.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why don't they just make one with the outer walls done that way we can do what we like inside the walls will help with the ones that where placed in with items such as tress and such blocking placement