• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Make 18x18 have the same storage as a castle, (or a Keep, either would be great!) those that still want to have the prestige of having a castle can continue to do so. I recently downgraded my Keep to an 18x18 because I missed being able to customise and I'm a lot happier with my home now! I just need to avoid picking up junk! :p

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make 18x18 have the same storage as a castle, (or a Keep, either would be great!) those that still want to have the prestige of having a castle can continue to do so. I recently downgraded my Keep to an 18x18 because I missed being able to customise and I'm a lot happier with my home now! I just need to avoid picking up junk! :p
Imagine the outcry from the people selling castles. They sell for 10+ plat while 1 plat goes somewhere between $130 and $200. Pretty sure castle prices would plummet and they would bomb Mesanna with emails. That being said, I would be all in for it :D

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Seems a lot of castles are only for BOD storage anyway, which is a great shame, they can look fantastic when decorated. I just wish the original castle and keep designer had put a bit more thought into the practical day-to-day use of them...the layout could have been so much better.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If he can build a customizable test plot for people to custom design a new castle he can make a black land with 100's of 24x24 plots on it for people to purchase... honestly its the easiest solution to the expanding lockdown problem... if it's all on a seperate server they can get one that is designed to hold that much crap... since you can't walk around in the black and each plot is individual then only YOUR plot should load ... which again would be less laggy for many folk and if you kept a ton of your crap in that server it would cut some of the lag on the other servers... one would hope.

The only downside is that it might be enough to make some people drop accounts... but lets face it if you have enough crap that you want that sort of a plot and are willing to pay for it and such chances are that your hoarding (mine included) is such that adding some 24x24's would just alleviate some of the crunches on some buildings and even if a few did shut down an account or two it wouldn't be long before they needed to turn one on again... Just saying.
Why do you think he is having such a hard time making a 31x31 plot even on test that someone besides a dev can make, the system can only handle a 18x18 plot as told to us by Wilki back when customization first came out. There are 3 houses that can not be customized and that is a Castle (requires 4 plots built by a dev only), a Keep (same as a castle) and an L-Shape (requires 2 plots built by a dev only). You do understand that UO is on the cloud and every server can handle all the crap and now you are suggesting that we remove all the houses from our beloved shards and make our lands look totally bare. I am sure everyone that owns a Luna house or a Castle in what they consider a lovely spot would love you for this idea. I live on the West coast and when I go to Atl or any Asian Shard or Eur/Drach the only lag I get is from the internet not from the shard. UO only takes %1 of my system resources and I do not run any other program while playing UO to load my system down. Try running less crap on your computer and you may find out that you will have less lag.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Let's spend huge amounts of resources and dev time on something 99% of the players will never have unless they are willing to go live on an abandoned shard, sounds like a plan?

Sarcasm aside I don't see why this is such a hard thing to figure out anyway, it's a pre-fab footprint so whip up a few designs, let us vote, and make it an option on the tool to place an "alternate" castle design, just add multiple styles of castle right on the tool in the pre-built section. Castle 1, Castle 2 etc.

Castle owners wanting a new design don't need all of the new code you're implementing to work it from the sign, they can simply "I wish to resize my house" and choose the new design from the tool...

Just saying - no need to make things harder than they have to be.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What i dont understand is how after all this time, so many people still have no idea how housing works in this game......

also in UO.....Nothing....is simple ;)

Syncros

Adventurer
Let's spend huge amounts of resources and dev time on something 99% of the players will never have unless they are willing to go live on an abandoned shard, sounds like a plan?

Sarcasm aside I don't see why this is such a hard thing to figure out anyway, it's a pre-fab footprint so whip up a few designs, let us vote, and make it an option on the tool to place an "alternate" castle design, just add multiple styles of castle right on the tool in the pre-built section. Castle 1, Castle 2 etc.

Castle owners wanting a new design don't need all of the new code you're implementing to work it from the sign, they can simply "I wish to resize my house" and choose the new design from the tool...

Pretty much this. Why cater to the small percentage when the majority prob won't ever own a castle.

Also making larger custom house plots shouldn't be an issue, sure back in the day there was limits but with anything limits can be over come. Then something like bigger custom plot sizes can happen.

I also play WoW and they went years saying the main backpack couldn't be upgraded saying it'll break the game yada yada yada... Now look at it, they upgraded the main bag. Not to mention flight wasn't possible either and now?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why do you think he is having such a hard time making a 31x31 plot even on test that someone besides a dev can make, the system can only handle a 18x18 plot as told to us by Wilki back when customization first came out. There are 3 houses that can not be customized and that is a Castle (requires 4 plots built by a dev only), a Keep (same as a castle) and an L-Shape (requires 2 plots built by a dev only). You do understand that UO is on the cloud and every server can handle all the crap and now you are suggesting that we remove all the houses from our beloved shards and make our lands look totally bare. I am sure everyone that owns a Luna house or a Castle in what they consider a lovely spot would love you for this idea. I live on the West coast and when I go to Atl or any Asian Shard or Eur/Drach the only lag I get is from the internet not from the shard. UO only takes %1 of my system resources and I do not run any other program while playing UO to load my system down. Try running less crap on your computer and you may find out that you will have less lag.
I only run UO and Discord... that's it... I don't run anything else when I'm playing... I also run using Broadband service of 1GB... usually getting speeds of 700mps and up... UO is still laggy... But then I only play in the EC with Pinco's. Anything else and I prefer not to play... I also pretty much play only when others are on doing things. Attending EM Events on my shard pretty much and yes LAGGY.

I avoid Atl like the plague that it is.

And as far as I am concerned Wilki said that to shut people up after they decided they didn't want anyone making large plots like that... Take a trip to ANY free server and you'll find they can put 2, 4, 8 or more 18x18 plots together without any issues at all... can even stack castles if they want. Seen it. No lag.

Most of the serious lag I've noticed comes from locked down items in homes, added floors in homes using either goza mats or tiles... Large groups of players or tons of deco on the ground placed tile by tile not part of the map file by EMs... and people who use some cheats to give themselves the "edge" movement wise... along with I've found Multiboxing programs... I've noticed of late with many Multiboxers gone or not doing it anymore at EM Events that the lag has greatly improved. It's not gone .... but it has Greatly improved.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

cause it needs repeating

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take a trip to ANY free server and you'll find they can put 2, 4, 8 or more 18x18 plots together
*gasps*
We were lied to? say it isn't so!!!!!!!

Becayuse we were also told the only reason the free shards have anything is because they stole it from UO. That's a Mesanna quote from a m&g that I ain't gonna waste the time trying to find. So what it really boils down to is that our team just isn't gonna invest the time.

MalagAste on a free shard, I am so disillusioned...;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And as far as I am concerned Wilki said that to shut people up after they decided they didn't want anyone making large plots like that... Take a trip to ANY free server and you'll find they can put 2, 4, 8 or more 18x18 plots together without any issues at all... can even stack castles if they want. Seen it. No lag.
So on free shards the people running it have allowed the players the ability to connect 18x18 plots so NO Wilki didn't lie and you just proved it, priceless.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So on free shards the people running it have allowed the players the ability to connect 18x18 plots so NO Wilki didn't lie and you just proved it, priceless.
Considering you can stack castles on top of one another I'm fairly certain a 32x32 plot is possible. I'm sure it would have some issues with slow loading if people did insane things to it like they do to castles... but I fail to see much difference. Even if you have a castle and overdo it on the goza's and stone tiles you are going to get loading issues... that's just common sense.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The difference between static and dynamic tiles. Anyone remember when magincia got the makeover prior to it being turned into a pile of rubble. The whole town was converted to dynamic tiles and the lag was terrible. Same problem with these new stone pavers and walls etc. Which is why castles and keeps with additions of these are laggy as hell.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Free shards do not run on the same code as official UO.

Just because an emulator can do something today doesn't mean developers were lying 10+ years ago about the capabilities of UO at the time.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Considering you can stack castles on top of one another I'm fairly certain a 32x32 plot is possible. I'm sure it would have some issues with slow loading if people did insane things to it like they do to castles... but I fail to see much difference. Even if you have a castle and overdo it on the goza's and stone tiles you are going to get loading issues... that's just common sense.
WOW Do you even know what you are saying. Who is talking about stacking castles.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When when when... the cheaters are running me off, yea, I am so tired of it. Please give me something new to build. I do not care how many she says she caught in newsletters, many, many, many more exist.

IMO there is nothing lower than a cheater in an online game. Dupers, script looters, script placers, trade window, it goes on and on. Foul talkers in chat are not even close to the lowlife cheaters.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, that's why some of us have so many accounts...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you do Bods....then yes, under the current system the bods are taking over my whole castle.........and i STILL CANNOT complete the damb Lbod i want to.....:grrr:

Tori855

Visitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 67426 Honestly I would want it to be customizable like the plot houses. I have a 'castle' design I've used on my 18x18's over the years and I'd love to do it with my castle too. It's a 'princess castle' type of effect and I think it's really pretty for us women who play. Not a whole lot of girly things for us.....so....here is a vendor house I did recently.... something princess-ish and girly like the Disney castle would be perfect *^_^* (editing to add detail suggestions) the turrets should be round, the windows small arches, doors should be arched also, and give us a draw bridge! :D haha
Your design is lovely - very fit for a princess. I too wish we could have a drawbridge. I tried making a castle with round turrets on either side but when it came to completing the roof section the rounded edges showed through the floor. Another wish would be for half stone walls so we could put crenelation on the top of the castle. Those are my wishes

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nice now we have 32x32 plots which don't work on houses with trees and a contest with 300 houses where sadly a lot are not build with caring about detail and a lot of cubes.

Why is that lock down thing still a problem?
Get a second house for more space or tweak your way around it.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice now we have 32x32 plots which don't work on houses with trees and a contest with 300 houses where sadly a lot are not build with caring about detail and a lot of cubes.

Why is that lock down thing still a problem?
Get a second house for more space or tweak your way around it.
Lockdowns wouldn't be a problem if they sorted out Bod storage.
And I don't mean putting them on non-seller vendors.....