• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Arty Drops in the gaunlet

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Since the publish I haven't heard of anyone getting any drops other than the blood....

is it broke?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ask the people that use 7 to 10 chars that I have been seeing in doom, what a joke.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ask the people that use 7 to 10 chars that I have been seeing in doom, what a joke.
All while the devs look the other way and collect their paychecks. Good to know that "love for the game" has alternative meaning$.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got a doom drop on baja yesterday, so I believe it is working as intended.
What the OP was basing this on was "back in the day" with a group of 8-10 ppl we averaged about 1 arti every half hour or so (per group, not individual)
My concern is that every time someone complains the drop rate is rediculously low, IE Scalis Enforcer or Shadowguard roof, it always is compared to doom. So rather than change those to match doom, change doom to match them

However 1 weekend is a small sample size so it all might just be spiffy-riffic

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What the OP was basing this on was "back in the day" with a group of 8-10 ppl we averaged about 1 arti every half hour or so (per group, not individual)
My concern is that every time someone complains the drop rate is rediculously low, IE Scalis Enforcer or Shadowguard roof, it always is compared to doom. So rather than change those to match doom, change doom to match them

However 1 weekend is a small sample size so it all might just be spiffy-riffic
Edit: Even if I do get a new artifact or recipe now, I'm likely to lose it next crash/revert

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry off topic question: Have the Doom bosses been enhanced in difficulty or have any new added abilities?

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry off topic question: Have the Doom bosses been enhanced in difficulty or have any new added abilities?
I posted the changes I noticed on Baja Forum. Feel free to add or change anything

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I personally think, droprates of cool stuff generally is too low in UO (Slither etc.). And given that you get a random Doom-Drop and you can wait for years until you get the one you really want, it is not that rewarding. IMHO, a slight boost in droprates would do no harm!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Low drop rates are the only way anything can be valuable in this hyper inflated economy.
Also is an excellent way to discourage newer players(Especially when all they see is over exuberant pricing when they work super hard for 10k in gold) and make older players just want to quit after doing things 600 to 800 times and never getting jack... making them stop doing more and more content in disgust and eventually quitting UO.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure Doom drops are limited to one drop per boss regardless of how many people earn looting rights... I know all the SA peerlesses are for the "rare" drops anyway, so technically, your chance to get something is drop chance % / players with looting rights. We'll know soon enough if Doom is set up this way =X

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The new player argument stopped being valid a decade ago. If people want instant gratification I suggest test center.
But aren't we all complaining about dwindling population and what about all the speculators thinking that if they give us some sort of "free to play" or perpetual trial period accounts that we will actually get large volumes of new players???

Given all that speculation you really honestly think that new players will stick around when everything they see is priced at 100+ million to billions?

Rather doubt it.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This. And I would also suggest to either boost gold loot in monster corpses (like +00 at the end) OR delete 1-2 of the 0s on each player account - including mine :gee:

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But aren't we all complaining about dwindling population and what about all the speculators thinking that if they give us some sort of "free to play" or perpetual trial period accounts that we will actually get large volumes of new players???

Given all that speculation you really honestly think that new players will stick around when everything they see is priced at 100+ million to billions?

Rather doubt it.

New players wouldn't leave because of item costs. They would leave because the game is difficult and their isn't a quest addon to hold their hand and tell them what to do next. Also if you don't think gold would be available for purchase if the game went F2P you are kidding yourself.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
New players wouldn't leave because of item costs. They would leave because the game is difficult and their isn't a quest addon to hold their hand and tell them what to do next. Also if you don't think gold would be available for purchase if the game went F2P you are kidding yourself.
First off... Many have in the past... and come here to post about it. Secondly we know that. I've said it many times most modern gamers can't play Sandbox games because they lack imagination. And Gold is available now to purchase from illegal 3rd party sites and any time you spend in game you will see that as there are still books littered from one gate to the next and all over Luna about it. A simple search on the web will bring up 1/2 a dozen places to buy anything you like... unofficially.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are many players who are in-game now that don't have 100 Million. Yet they still play. But I'm just saying that a we need to consider whats coming.

Which will include... holding hands. Unless of course you want a smaller and smaller playerbase.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If drops are even happening, the drop rate is way too low. I'd like it to be high enough so a person can get one or two per hour.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If drops are even happening, the drop rate is way too low. I'd like it to be high enough so a person can get one or two per hour.
and over saturate the market in a week?

If the drop rate is as hard as the people are complaining it needs to stay that way. I'm tired of this easy street mentality that causes content to become obsolete faster than they developed it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people were farming on non-published shards, expecting to get new drops and they don't even exist yet... (=X)

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
With a higher drop rate, it will still take a long time for the market to be "saturated."
Consider: there's a HUGE number of potential drops.
Ask yourself: after more than a year, have you gotten ALL of the Eodon drops? Is there any reason why your tailor should not be able to make a turtle shell helmet for more than a year (recipe)?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OOC:
With a higher drop rate, it will still take a long time for the market to be "saturated."
Ask yourself: after more than a year, have you gotten ALL of the Eodon drops? Is there any reason why your tailor should not be able to make a turtle shell helmet for more than a year (recipe)?
The real question is why would they want to???

Turtle armor offers nothing special... heck it doesn't even count like plate (as I think it ought to) when giving mana bonus... If Tiger is considered plain leather one would think that Turtle shell armor would be far stronger... but eh.

Since it doesn't even offer the same as comparable stuff .... why use it?

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
OOC:
Have you read the publish notes? They consolidated the drops making it MUCH easier to get the arty you want. They put all of the useless arties into one category that only counts as 1. So you're not rolling against 15 legacy doom artifacts, just 1. Should you hit that 1 legacy artifact it then rolls again to distribute which arty you get. I

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OOC:
The drop-rate hasn't been changed as far as receiving a reward.
The Legacy artifact drop-rate has been reduced, thus you're much more likely to get the newer drops as opposed to the legacy ones..

to answer your question, the way it's described in the notes, It would take less time to saturate the market with the new drops, because of the decreased chance of getting legacy rewards. though it should still take quite a while, as I've said before, I'm almost 100% sure it is not possible to get more than one Artifact from a single kill.

While it wouldn't really be a good thing just the mere mention of the change in drop-rates in the publish notes regardless is true or not (It's probably true though :D), makes it more likely people would spend time there.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Low drop rates are the only way anything can be valuable in this hyper inflated economy.
Rares values and the conversion rates on gold have heavily influenced the inflation rates in game for years. When the game pulled away from this formula in favor of legendary pricing, the instability that followed lead to the hyper inflated economy. The only fix is to return back to the old system and increase the conversion rate and rare values by 300%. If the EM's were allowed to make uniquely hued and named legendary gear, the shift towards a normalized economy could commence.

With regard to Doom being a pain in the butt, I don't ever recall it being a pleasant grind...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Rather doubt it.
Yep, it will not only be the economy.

Mesanna and those people emailing her 24/7 about everything will make sure the FTP accounts are that crippled, nobody in his right mind would keep up with that. Only year long UO addicts like most of us here would, but then we already have paid accounts.

I mean it's not like you can't play UO for free already on other servers. Without being a crippled noob by design.

But then, I also have my doubts we will actually see this at all. After all we only have this obscure statement in some random podcast nobody knew of before.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, it will not only be the economy.

Mesanna and those people emailing her 24/7 about everything will make sure the FTP accounts are that crippled, nobody in his right mind would keep up with that. Only year long UO addicts like most of us here would, but then we already have paid accounts.

I mean it's not like you can't play UO for free already on other servers. Without being a crippled noob by design.

But then, I also have my doubts we will actually see this at all. After all we only have this obscure statement in some random podcast nobody knew of before.
You can get a 100% lrc suit off mongbats and GM magery in 1% of the time it took 15 years ago. If someone isn't willing to put in 1% of the effort we did in the old days, I doubt they will care too much about a keg of poison going for 1 platinum per charge.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can get a 100% lrc suit off mongbats and GM magery in 1% of the time it took 15 years ago. If someone isn't willing to put in 1% of the effort we did in the old days, I doubt they will care too much about a keg of poison going for 1 platinum per charge.
See that's what I'm talking about: "effort we did in the old days". Why should a new player care how tough it was 10 years ago? If UO needs new players (and I guess that's more the case than the average player needing UO), you can't restrict them to death. But that's gonna happen, if they do FTP at all.

After all it will further divide the UO population in 3 groups: Highly worshiped vets with 10+ yo accounts with exclusive access to content like shard shields or the 500 sovereign gift. Poor buggers who dared to start after 2007 and basically have no say in anything for 5 or 10 more years; and finally FTP players who aren't even allowed to go to FEL dungeons, can't mine anything better than plain iron, not repeat quests that are normally repeatable and so on.

There are tons of better FTP games where people are actually equally treated. Good luck finding those couple of masochists who would enjoy and endless trial account with those restrictions.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@petemage, no idea what you're on about with regards to FTP. I played Runescape for a few years, both as FTP and paid. There's a huge part of the map of that game, including dungeons, the PvP areas, most quests, and the ability to gain at all in at least one skill, which you can't access unless you're a paid player.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Legacy artifact drop-rate has been reduced, thus you're much more likely to get the newer drops as opposed to the legacy ones..
That´s the part I´m not too fond of with this upgrade.
I haven´t gotten an Orny so far and now it´s going to be even harder.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@petemage, no idea what you're on about with regards to FTP. I played Runescape for a few years, both as FTP and paid. There's a huge part of the map of that game, including dungeons, the PvP areas, most quests, and the ability to gain at all in at least one skill, which you can't access unless you're a paid player.
Of course you can find examples of games doing it as bad or even worse. No problem, just keep your hopes high about new players eagerly waiting to experience this.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Of course you can find examples of games doing it as bad or even worse.
Broad statement with nothing to back it up. Runescape's turning 16 this year, and it still seems to be going strong. A limited F2P experience seems to still be working for them.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Broad statement with nothing to back it up. Runescape's turning 16 this year, and it still seems to be going strong. A limited F2P experience seems to still be working for them.
I think I made my point in post #30. If you don't want to see what I'm talking about, it's fine. Not going into that silly discussion here.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See that's what I'm talking about: "effort we did in the old days". Why should a new player care how tough it was 10 years ago? If UO needs new players (and I guess that's more the case than the average player needing UO), you can't restrict them to death. But that's gonna happen, if they do FTP at all.

After all it will further divide the UO population in 3 groups: Highly worshiped vets with 10+ yo accounts with exclusive access to content like shard shields or the 500 sovereign gift. Poor buggers who dared to start after 2007 and basically have no say in anything for 5 or 10 more years; and finally FTP players who aren't even allowed to go to FEL dungeons, can't mine anything better than plain iron, not repeat quests that are normally repeatable and so on.

There are tons of better FTP games where people are actually equally treated. Good luck finding those couple of masochists who would enjoy and endless trial account with those restrictions.
You missed the point where I said "if players aren't willing to put in 1% of the effort"....1 lousy %. Hardly a sky is falling scenario there.