• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Proposal: Allow castles and keeps to be better customized

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am suggesting the ability to change a castle or keep into a plot of the same size. *No customizing.*
Okay...so now you have a 32 x 32 PLOT.....

NO CUSTOMIZING....meaning you're just gonna have a 32 x 32 empty dirt plot????

You HAVE to customize it somehow.....so you keep saying no customizing...but you HAVE to build SOMETHING on that plot yes???

That's customizing.......isn't it?? When you place an 18 x 18 PLOT....you then go into CUSTOMIZATION mode to build a house.....

If you get a castle-sized PLOT...you then have to go into CUSTOMIZATION mode to build on it...yes???

Or are you suggesting they allow ONLY the new craftable stone items???

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After a long convo with an old expert on the buildings of castle and keeps from the original onset of the game.. we are barking up the wrong tree when we pancake and howl at the Dev to make the castle and keep customizable.
They cant be.
Period.
Seems how they were constructed like all of the original house deed propertys and what is now in the tool are set in deep granite stone and cant be messed with.
So the Dev we have today is not giving us a line of bull.
They really cant be modified.
Our only option is add in new castle plots/buildings that meet with what is being asked. Mind you what you find a perfect setup might be another persons nightmare.
Mesanna has on multi occasions said she will NOT allow 32x32 plots. I think she has visions of the ultimate borg cube...... and I must agree I wouldn't like one next door ether.
Now if designs for smaller more compact castles and keeps were offered she might find one or 2 she might consider to ask the artist and dev to add to the menu tool. Mind you this is just a suggestion not that she will do such.... but anything not ventured is nothing gained.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Okay...so now you have a 32 x 32 PLOT.....

NO CUSTOMIZING....meaning you're just gonna have a 32 x 32 empty dirt plot????
Exactly.

You HAVE to customize it somehow.....so you keep saying no customizing...but you HAVE to build SOMETHING on that plot yes???

That's customizing.......isn't it?? When you place an 18 x 18 PLOT....you then go into CUSTOMIZATION mode to build a house.....

If you get a castle-sized PLOT...you then have to go into CUSTOMIZATION mode to build on it...yes???

Or are you suggesting they allow ONLY the new craftable stone items???
I'm not saying they should block the use of any items. I'm simply saying there's no need to allow customization mode, esp since the devs have repeatedly said that's a non-starter. It's an entirely different thing, however, for them to simply allow us to have a big empty dirt plot, and we build what we want from there, using all the items already in the game.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Mesanna has on multi occasions said she will NOT allow 32x32 plots. I think she has visions of the ultimate borg cube...... and I must agree I wouldn't like one next door ether.
Now if designs for smaller more compact castles and keeps were offered she might find one or 2 she might consider to ask the artist and dev to add to the menu tool. Mind you this is just a suggestion not that she will do such.... but anything not ventured is nothing gained.
I don't recall her ever saying that, actually. She's only said that customization of castles and keeps isn't going to happen. As for alternate designs, that truely is a horse that's been flogged to death. I think the devs considered that idea done as far as they're willing to go when the stone craftables were introduced.

As for the theoretical giant borg cube, first, they already exist as 18x18's. But there's not many of even those around these days. Second, it's entirely doable now, with or without plots. Here's the corner of one of my castles:

Replace the arches on the S side with full height walls, replace the quarter-height walls on the E side with full height walls, and replace the white quarter-height walls on both sides of the roof with full height walls. Voila: instant borg cube. I think people built 18x18 cubes because they were quick and simple to build. It's still tedious, but actually far faster to build a borg cube castle if you start with the existing castle than building up 4 layers of walls and raising up 3 or 4 levels of floors, not to mention how unusably laggy that resulting monster would be for the owner.

But you know what? I'd far rather build a couple of towers linked by bridges, with a couple single-story huts on the 1st floor. Or perhaps a greenhouse inside of a snow cave. Problem is, you can't do much that's interesting, since you're stuck starting 3 stories up, and by then you're already at the height cap - and you're already floating on gozas/pavers way up in the air. You can hide the gap, as I did here, but you can't do something even half-interesting until then:

...and in terms of lag, just to get to that big flat surface, you're minimally using 1024 pavers or gozas, and that's just if you do a single floor. Take it down to dirt, and even if you completely cover every tile of the dirt with grass or whatever else, you're still not bloating the itemcount. With all the courtyard pavers, filler walls, staircases just to even get up there, etc that you're not having to do, your item count still is lower than it has to be now, yet you've gained far more flexability to design as you'd like.

Perhaps give 5 options: dirt plot, grass plot, snow plot, sand plot, cave-floor plot. That's sufficient; no need to give any walls or whatever else.

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think what Brian wants is a blank Plot. No custom menu so he can use Grass/Sand/Show/(Walter) tiles and the granite crafted stuff to build.

I agree with him it would be a nice idea but only if WE can get other Style Walls floors and roof pieces to craft. Which also should Not be the issue.

But even if WE Safe US some lag due to Not have to flatten the Castle structure below etc It will still make lag and **** Up circle Trans.

In my opinion it was the worst idea ever to make this stuff like its now. No circle Trans / Highlight yellow / Works as Carpent.

Yes we are flexible. Well MORE flexible but for usage purpose fixed Designs to choose would be better. Those dont have to be even all castle Style. Give some creative persons 4 Plots which combine the Same size and let them build Design. Then fix them together as one Castle Design. I can See soooooooo many nice Styles.

Never the less. Iam thankful that the devs still care and try to get US Entertainer even when some stuff come Out weird or something got ****ed Up.

Iam Not sure why they say 18*18 would be the biggest custom Plot size. All can be programmed if you really want it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cool, whatever dude.
I'm glad your an expert on UO code and know the ENTIRE game would have to be rewritten just to make castles and keeps customizable.
Are you always this dramatic?
I am so glad that you think it is so EASY. GOOD LUCK. OH Why don't you E-Mail the DEVs and ask them if you think it is so EASY, NO you wont do that will you, thought not. Oh By the way it was Wilki that said it could not be done but I guess he didn't know what he was talking about, did he.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I would be very happy if the interiors could be redesigned to be less annoying. The outside walls could stay as they are, so the actual shape and footprint would stay the same, other than the 'open' unuseable areas inside the walls.
The towers on a keep are pretty useless as they are so small.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I can still see a lag issue...I mean just walking into the SE corner of Luna on ATL lags me a little...and those are TINY houses but FILLED with tons of stuff....can you imagine castle-sized plots like that all over? And I still think load is an issue, to have potentially hundreds of thousands of items in one small area like that...it's an interesting concept but do not see it being feasible.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The simple fact is that virtually every argument against this idea is moot, because it's already being done:

People already drop blank 18x18 plots and build the entire house with the granite craftables, sometimes into big neon cubes.

People can already convert the exterior of a castle into a giant 5 story cube.

People can already cram thousands of items on display into small spaces and cause lag.

Regardless of what Frodo might think, this is very easily doable by the Devs. All we need are two more classic houses added to the house placement tool: Castle plot and Keep plot, each using the existing footprint of the castle or keep without any walls or stairs.

Will some people "abuse" this by cramming thousands of items into a small space? Probably. But I don't see how that is any different than people doing it now. And I certainly don't think it is justification to preclude all the really cool and beautiful home most players would build... just like most currently do with the 18x18.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Only with people that are so dense that they can't comprehend that it can't be done.
I'm not trying to fight with you.
If you'd read my earlier comments that actually contributed to the thread instead of just throwing around blanket statements about how nothing can be done you'd see that.
I don't think making C/K fully customizable is feasible.
Nor do I think we need castle sized dirt plots all over the place.
I think adding some things to either the current customizer OR have a new customizer that's JUST for legacy homes would be cool. I'm sure that it's not impossible.
Some suggestions I have that would make C/ K owners lives easier and funner...because I play UO to have fun.
Add:
1. Doors and Teleporters.
If they can make a vet reward that lets me teleport using s placeable teleporter, surely they can put it in so we can add them and teleport within our homes.
2. Floor tiles.
Being able to change floor tiles would be nice. I'd love to have wood floors in my Keep.
3. Allow access and POSSIBLY change or customize the dead space, especially in keeps. At least let us put a door in so we can access it and maybe add floor tiles so we can make something of it and tie it together with the rest of the home.
In the old days, you used to be able to mark a rune and recall into those spots. So it's possible to get there.
4. Allow us to change the color and or skin of the C/K.
Even if it's a blanket change. All or nothing. Instead of the current castle stone, let us change it to one of the other stone types.
Is it possible? I don't know. I'm sure it is.
But, I'm just throwing out my ideas.
5. Stairs! Stairs! Stairs! Ladders!
Being able to add stairs to our C/K would be wonderful. And would make accessing the tips of the towers and the roofs a lot better.
If stairs would difficult. Add ladders into the builder and let us use those.
Right now the only way to get up there is to get the ladders. Those are getting rarer and on Siege they cost a fortune.
6. Decor type stuff in the C/k customizer.
Flags, banners.... vines... things like that.
Make them expensive. It would be a great gold sink.
I don't think any or all of this is unreasonable or unattainable.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
I am so glad that you think it is so EASY. GOOD LUCK. OH Why don't you E-Mail the DEVs and ask them if you think it is so EASY, NO you wont do that will you, thought not. Oh By the way it was Wilki that said it could not be done but I guess he didn't know what he was talking about, did he.
Did I say it would be easy?
Do I assume to know what the Dev can and can't do?
Quit assuming everything and putting words in my mouth.
I'm not going to E-mail the dev. That's pretty ego centric and I think they are busy enough without me bugging them.
I'd rather talk about it on stratics and get some good ideas from fellow castle/Keep owners first.
I'm pretty sure the developers read stratics.
It's ok Frodo, calm down, we are just talking about and brainstorming on ideas for C/Ks.
No ones going to ruin your game.
This isn't a fight, this doesn't have to be painful or dramatic. It's just talking.
C/Ks are really cool and are the only type of homes in the game like them. Making them more valuable and desirable isn't a bad thing.
Do you own a castle or keep?

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Yeah I can still see a lag issue...I mean just walking into the SE corner of Luna on ATL lags me a little...and those are TINY houses but FILLED with tons of stuff....can you imagine castle-sized plots like that all over? And I still think load is an issue, to have potentially hundreds of thousands of items in one small area like that...it's an interesting concept but do not see it being feasible.
Good point.
I wonder if the Dev could make it so you don't load the house until you step on the porch or steps? Something like that would help reduce lag.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So when a house comes into screen, do we automatically load everything in that house?
There are some odd items that seem to load (ever run by a private castle, yet you can see a few items on the roof?).... however, I think the majority only load when you step on the house.

I'm not sure exactly how the granite stuff works, I just know I've seen plots that looked completely blank until you step on them, then the entire house (walls included) appear.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry but leave Castles and Keeps alone! Not much stays original and it's not killing anyone or game breaking the way they are. Aren't you damn people ever happy?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sorry but leave Castles and Keeps alone! Not much stays original and it's not killing anyone or game breaking the way they are. Aren't you damn people ever happy?
Honestly, IMO, it's not human nature to be content. If you are, it just means you're old and ready to die. ;-)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you want an original looking castle or keep, none of these changes would keep you from placing one. Clearly you must have been against any custom houses since we already had so many classic designs. I certainly don't think anyone should be forced to have THEIR house the way I want it.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So when a house comes into screen, do we automatically load everything in that house?
This is just an example.....I can run pretty smoothly around luna on ATL..but the minute I hit this corner I freeze for just a second...and there's really not THAT much stuff up there...it's just a LOT of stuff in one tiny area...now make that a 32 x 32 plot FILLED with that stuff? YIKES! lol And this is just running by, not stepping on the front steps at all...ALL of that stuff loads the minute it's on screen.

majorlag.jpg

Love the pig collection by the way whoever's house that is ;)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What part of written in stone do you not understand?
The original house's that were deeds ..remember those?
Those house structure's were set. The only things removeable were the doors.... and that was for the pure fact they were not subject to circle trans and this was confirmed by a GM to me back in 97!
The person I spoke to was very honest about the reasons of why the original house styles cant be modified. Even inner walls or floors. This was why the current dev created the stone tiles and parts.
So it is moot to bark for inner changes that cant be done.
Believe me, I am one who would love to knock out a few walls and change a bunch of stuff in my castles and keeps!!
Brian....
Mesanna has said no way will she allow a 32 x 32 plot. If you want there is a meet and greet on the 30th please be my guest and go ask her.
She and the other team members have said many times submit alternate castle and keep designs... they will be considered. Look IF any of you can make a generalized castle or keep design that is open minded for all player needs please send it in.
Plots do not need be 32 x 32....

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
No.

Ever notice that some houses in Luna use that 'reed' type of flooring? Especially under gozas? That's intentional. That floor tile has a second, intended, use, though many seem to have forgotten. If you use that floor tile type, then yes, that square will load and be visible even without stepping on the stairs. Otherwise, you'll maybe get some of the outside or roof deco, but otherwise, it shouldn't load.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She and the other team members have said many times submit alternate castle and keep designs... they will be considered. Look IF any of you can make a generalized castle or keep design that is open minded for all player needs please send it in.
It would be nice if we could get additional clarification for submitting designs, i.e., whether proposed designs should be for spaces smaller than current castle and keep sizes; whether they need to fit exactly square plots or if they can be any rectangular size; how many levels they can include; whether there are any maximums on number of wall, roof, floor, or teleporter tiles or doors that can be used; whether there are any limitations on which floor, wall, roof sets can be used for building; whether you can use things like the built-in counters/bars; whether you can use specific deedable items (e.g., ladder, hearth, stone oven) in your proposed design and know they would end up as permanent fixtures in the final design.

Edited to add: I think if the dev team gave us some parameters to work with, people just might take the time to play around to generate some ideas (and also assuming there is still some program that runs which lets you fool around with things like this).

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Mesanna has said no way will she allow a 32 x 32 plot. If you want there is a meet and greet on the 30th please be my guest and go ask her.
Sorry, but it's already happening. It has been for a very long time now. The only difference is, we're doing it three stories up in the air on top of gozas or pavers. Please tell me how a goza floor that covers the entire 32x32 area three stories above the ground is so very different from a dirt plot that's down at ground level?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What part of written in stone do you not understand?
The original house's that were deeds ..remember those?
Those house structure's were set. The only things removeable were the doors.... and that was for the pure fact they were not subject to circle trans and this was confirmed by a GM to me back in 97!
The person I spoke to was very honest about the reasons of why the original house styles cant be modified. Even inner walls or floors. This was why the current dev created the stone tiles and parts.
So it is moot to bark for inner changes that cant be done.
Believe me, I am one who would love to knock out a few walls and change a bunch of stuff in my castles and keeps!!
Brian....
Modifying the existing castle may not be possible since its static art assets. But it would not be INCONCEIVABLE for a dev to recreate the castle design using stone block pavers that get placed down when you put down a "custom castle". Really, it wouldn't be that hard, then you could customize away. The only thing you would lose is the floor wouldn't be at the Z origin, it would be one step higher like on custom houses.

Small boxes contain small minds :p

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While your idea is sound.... its not that easy. You do know we actually have 1 dev... out of a total 5 ppl in key positions.
with al that is wanted to be done and the publishes that keep the majority happy with new content..... (stop racing through them !)
They just might do so... but that's a long shot.
Mesanna is not loath to a new castle or keep design.. what she is against is a plot of the size of the keep or castle. 18 x 18 was where she drew the line. And if there is one thing I have learned over the years she has been in charge is she is like the rock of Gibraltar.. wont budge once she sets her mind to it.
Give a design that fits their foot print or smaller that would be popular with most and send it in.....

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
While your idea is sound.... its not that easy. You do know we actually have 1 dev... out of a total 5 ppl in key positions.
with al that is wanted to be done and the publishes that keep the majority happy with new content..... (stop racing through them !)
They just might do so... but that's a long shot.
Mesanna is not loath to a new castle or keep design.. what she is against is a plot of the size of the keep or castle. 18 x 18 was where she drew the line. And if there is one thing I have learned over the years she has been in charge is she is like the rock of Gibraltar.. wont budge once she sets her mind to it.
Give a design that fits their foot print or smaller that would be popular with most and send it in.....
Castles and keeps, we're about 20 years too late to reconsider the size of the footprint. I'm not suggesting increasing it, only allowing greater flexability for them. Those who own those properties have kind of been left out of all the changes in house design since AOS. Yes, we can now customize them with stone craftables, but that only sounds good. Once you start trying to actually do it, you find that you're still locked into all the problems with the existing designs, and you're just shoehorning stuff around the edges.

Personally, if they reconsidered storage, I might keep one castle, but I'd quickly dump the rest in favor of something more easily modified. Especially as house contents only load when you step on the stairs, it seems a strange thing that storage and house size are still linked. If they'd allow 18x18's to store the same as a castle, I would guess that others would agree. But as it stands, you're talking a 2x difference in storage, with the cost being that you're stuck with a 20 year old design. Hence, let us design from scratch, if we do choose - and let us convert that keep or castle into a non-customizable plot.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
I still like the idea of letting us change the skins.
I'd like to make my castle look like it's made of marble.
Or make a log cabin look like stone.
Surely THATS doable.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No.

Ever notice that some houses in Luna use that 'reed' type of flooring? Especially under gozas? That's intentional. That floor tile has a second, intended, use, though many seem to have forgotten. If you use that floor tile type, then yes, that square will load and be visible even without stepping on the stairs. Otherwise, you'll maybe get some of the outside or roof deco, but otherwise, it shouldn't load.
A lot of ATL Luna lag would go away if this was fixed.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
A lot of ATL Luna lag would go away if this was fixed.
It's not a bug. That was done intentionally. (and there are definitely real cases where it's needed for illusion house designs, even if you ignore the Luna overuse...)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks like you're saying Mesanna might consider having the dev team create some new castle or keep designs that are 18x18 (or smaller). Is that correct? If yes, does this mean they would have the same storage capacity as existing castles or keeps?

If she is serious and wants people to submit their ideas, do you think she could clarify how many levels the designs can include; whether there are any maximums on number of wall, roof, floor, or teleporter tiles or doors that can be used; whether there are any limitations on which floor, wall, roof sets can be used for building; whether you can use things like the built-in counters/bars; whether you can use specific deedable items (e.g., ladder, hearth, stone oven) in your proposed design and know they would end up as permanent fixtures in the final design; and in what format and to which e-mail address people should submit their designs?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It looks like you're saying Mesanna might consider having the dev team create some new castle or keep designs that are 18x18 (or smaller). Is that correct? If yes, does this mean they would have the same storage capacity as existing castles or keeps?

If she is serious and wants people to submit their ideas, do you think she could clarify how many levels the designs can include; whether there are any maximums on number of wall, roof, floor, or teleporter tiles or doors that can be used; whether there are any limitations on which floor, wall, roof sets can be used for building; whether you can use things like the built-in counters/bars; whether you can use specific deedable items (e.g., ladder, hearth, stone oven) in your proposed design and know they would end up as permanent fixtures in the final design; and in what format and to which e-mail address people should submit their designs?
A Challenge for all you home makers.
Hello everyone, since we are talking about redesigning castles I would like to add that any designs you would like to submit to the dev team to submit to the game can include any wall tiles except for the gothic and the rustic walls tiles and the crystal and the obsidian wall tiles. The floor tiles and wall tiles are open for use as a completely rebuilt castle. Give us an idea of what you want.

Please keep in mind prefabs are easier to do like this than redoing the who system. If there are any other types/ sizes of prefabs you would like to see in the game this is your chance to submit those also.
Mesanna, Sep 18, 2014

And it is from this thread A Challenge for all you home makers.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Challenge for all you home makers.
Hello everyone, since we are talking about redesigning castles I would like to add that any designs you would like to submit to the dev team to submit to the game can include any wall tiles except for the gothic and the rustic walls tiles and the crystal and the obsidian wall tiles. The floor tiles and wall tiles are open for use as a completely rebuilt castle. Give us an idea of what you want.

Please keep in mind prefabs are easier to do like this than redoing the who system. If there are any other types/ sizes of prefabs you would like to see in the game this is your chance to submit those also.
Mesanna, Sep 18, 2014

And it is from this thread A Challenge for all you home makers.
Thanks, Lord Frodo!

It seems like there are still a few things to have Mesanna or someone else on the UO team clarify in writing:
  • Are we constrained to 18x18 plots for castle and keep designs, as Lady Storm seems to be saying Mesanna has said at meet and greets?
  • Would new prefab castle or keep designs have the same storage capacity as existing castles or keeps, or would they still be limited to the storage capacity of an 18x18 if that is the max footprint we can use?
  • Can we get clarification on whether any deedable items like forges or ladders or hearths we might include in a design will be incorporated into the final design as permanent fixtures?
  • Can we use the teleporter tiles you can use in the house customization menu, as they can get very wonky/stop functioning if characters die on them, especially in "prefab" houses that might not let you reset the foundation as a way to reset the teleporter tiles?
  • How do we submit our designs? (In that thread, started in 2009, people were sending them to Kurgan via e-mail.)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks, Lord Frodo!

It seems like there are still a few things to have Mesanna or someone else on the UO team clarify in writing:
  • Are we constrained to 18x18 plots for castle and keep designs, as Lady Storm seems to be saying Mesanna has said at meet and greets?
  • Would new prefab castle or keep designs have the same storage capacity as existing castles or keeps, or would they still be limited to the storage capacity of an 18x18 if that is the max footprint we can use?
  • Can we get clarification on whether any deedable items like forges or ladders or hearths we might include in a design will be incorporated into the final design as permanent fixtures?
  • Can we use the teleporter tiles you can use in the house customization menu, as they can get very wonky/stop functioning if characters die on them, especially in "prefab" houses that might not let you reset the foundation as a way to reset the teleporter tiles?
  • How do we submit our designs? (In that thread, started in 2009, people were sending them to Kurgan via e-mail.)
Back then Kurgan had made a spiffy little program that allowed you to design them easily... UOHomebuilder... if I recall. It was great. But it no longer functions. If the DEVs wanted us to do that and would let us they could put together a similar program allowing us to submit designs they could then more easily incorporate into UO.

As it is now the only way I know of to actually do many of those things is to free shard build it brick by brick... Unless your excessively talented in paint... though I'll say this... using paint it's still not possible to "get" the individual tile pieces to build with without using some sort of illegal 3rd party app. So yeah.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It's difficult to target the right spots, and annoying to chop bags, raise/lower the pieces, etc, but you can do pretty much that, yes.

In reality though, whether you start from a plot or an existing castle design, it takes a solid 8-10 hours just to lay down a castle's worth of gozas/pavers, then raise them all to the 4th floor level.

To do only all the outer walls plus the paver floors for each floor in your theoretical purple, you'd need 4*(4*32+32*32), or 4608 charges of dye (93 bottles of ToT dye), plus (10*4*32*4)+(5*32*32*4), or 25.6k dull copper or better granite. So you'd be looking at a serious expense and amount of time invested, with a laggy eyesore as the final result. While I'm sure someone might do it, it seems way more likely that 99% of castle owners would be interested in spending their time and gold building something a bit nicer, and far less laggy.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Already can be done. Next objection?
Actually, no it can't because you cannot dye the existing walls....lets stay with this objection shall we?

(don't mean to sound crass but it's true)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, no it can't because you cannot dye the existing walls....lets stay with this objection shall we?

So then the argument must be that a 5 story 31x31 borg cube that is half gray and half neon is ok, but a 5 story 31x31 that is a solid color justifies not allowing further customization.

Sorry, but other than technical limitations, there isn't a single argument that makes any sense anymore. I can accept that the AOS tool has limits on how large the plot can be. But it is very feasible to think that two more classic houses could be added to the placement tool that is just a single floor in the exact same footprint as the existing C/K, just with no doors, walls or stairs.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

Ok, yes, you can't do the first floor. The other floors, though, they say a picture says a thousand words...

But then, I never said you'd be dying the existing walls. A borg cube would be just as laggy and ugly, perhaps even uglier, with the first floor grey and the rest purple (or red).

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
None of that is okay...the neon walls are just...ew..to me anyway..and I LOVE the color purple!!

My main argument is server load...as I stated in that one example in that TINY little corner of Luna on ATL.

In one persons house, that doesn't load for EVERYONE...that's fine..I stay away from custom build houses for that reason...

The strain on the servers when those huge 32 x 32 or 31 x 31 or whatever they are..loads every time someone runs by them would be intense.

I don't have an ancient computer, I have a GOOD computer and I stay away from those situations because I lag EVERY time...I can just imagine staying in my little house forever because there will be 32 x 32 custom plots EVERYWHERE.

Just give us a few more prefabs and that should work.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
You're inventing facts now.

First, the servers are all serving from EC2 (or some equivalent); it'd be seriously impossible for load to strain them. The lag in some houses is caused by client memory limits, not some issue on the server.

Second, those houses don't load unless either 1) you step onto the steps, or 2) they used that reed-type floor. Since you'd have a non-customizable plot in my proposed situation, the 2nd isn't relevant. So the only way you'd possibly even SEE the house would be to step onto the stairs to load it. So if you're just running by, then no, you're not seeing any strain either on the server or the client, assuming you're not also stopping to step onto each and every house's stairs.

Third, any castle with an added floor *now* has 1024 floor tile items that need to be loaded. Given that you wouldn't need to build stairs to get up to that level, and you'd likely not be covering every last tile on the 1st floor of a plot, you'd likely end up with nicer designs that required FEWER items to create the house, not MORE than you currently do.

When I built the 3- 18x18 wide illusion house, the first version didn't use the reed flooring; I added those and rebuilt it specifically so you COULD run from the 1st house to the third and actually see the whole house without needing to step onto the stairs of each house first.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Everything on the front steps loads no matter what....so you have that.

SOME things load no matter what...depending on what it is..not sure why, or what things load....but they do.

Mannequins load..the mini houses load..SOME containers load..parrots load, statues..paintings.....just running around on Origin atm.

loading.jpg loading2.jpg
laod.jpg

Just a few examples in CASTLES with no REED floor with things loading without stepping on the plot.

Now imagine an entire plot like that..no thanks.