• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why people stop going to events(rant)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does this regularly happen? Enforcement of the TOS?
Unfortunately no... and when it does, it's usually backwards IMO:

Page on the guy using a 3rd party app to train magery unattended in his house... he will get action on the account because he can't respond to a GM.

Page on the guy using a 3rd party app to control 6 characters at once during an EM event and nothing happens because he can respond to the GM (in stereo).

#backwards

Last edited:

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Definitely intentional spamming and happening on every shard (saying otherwise suggests either you dont play the game or you intentionally trying to mislead / de-escalate this discussion)

View attachment 57339
If you think that is intentional and not the product of a poorly designed script, you might need to take off the tin-foil hat for a while. That number of inputs is not only likely to disconnect the user of the client who is spamming (as there is an input limit which is reached pretty easily), but also their other clients as well. A good number of times at EM events in instanced areas you will get kicked to an Ilshenar shrine if you disconnect or re-log. That clearly is not in their best interests and it is not what is happening here.

Like both myself and @CovenantX have said, that's a result of latency issues or a character being dead (obviously VERY likely at an EM event), stunned, or paralyzed. Show me how many times you've screenshotted that kind of enemy of one spam when combat was not occurring at an event. It is incredibly more rare than when combat is occurring, and therefore there is likely no dialogue to be "spammed out of journals."

I do not doubt the stupidity of some of these bad actors, but I also do not believe it serves as whole-sale cover to avoid the implication of malice. There are many who do this on purpose just to grief the event.
Right, and I didn't claim that it was 100% a product of stupidity and negligence, but a vast majority. You don't seem like the kind of person to do events outside of your home shard(s), so I wouldn't think you're attending more than Lake Austin and Atlantic events. There are enough people on Atlantic that "journal spamming" would be obsolete given the amount of things already clogging the journal.

I've been at every single Lake Austin event with a boss in the last 16 months and I can recall one incident on that shard where there was enemy of one spam (surprise, it was from a dead player who had a poorly designed script) that caused some players (myself included) to get a "connection lost." The EM pulled the player aside and then after the event said he would contact Mesanna if something like that occurred on that scale again (eg. disconnecting other players). It didn't happen again and life moved on, and now they have a new EM on Lake Austin who hasn't encountered the problem yet.

Last edited:

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I put this to test, and I was able to replicate this symptom with my toons: the un-seen ghost keeps casting EOO, and the living char cannot see the casting but obviously the spellwords show up at the corner.

Now, for the spam to happen, you still need to keep hitting the hotkeys. So, why would a normal player keep hitting EoO hotkey when your toon is already DEAD? That's because the ghost toon is a BOT.

I have a video of an event. It was obvious. The spam stops when I exit the area, and when I re-enter the combat area, the spam comes right back on immediately. That means the ghosts are standing there idle casting EoO non-stop.

spam.JPG

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This will never change. Ever. I totally believe this. Why? Because some people "cannot help themselves, they just like the bad boys." I never thought I would have the guts to say that. UO is such a mess now. :(

Yes, some things are good and some better. But this will never ever ever change.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So I put this to test, and I was able to replicate this symptom with my toons: the un-seen ghost keeps casting EOO, and the living char cannot see the casting but obviously the spellwords show up at the corner.

Now, for the spam to happen, you still need to keep hitting the hotkeys. So, why would a normal player keep hitting EoO hotkey when your toon is already DEAD? That's because the ghost toon is a BOT.

I have a video of an event. It was obvious. The spam stops when I exit the area, and when I re-enter the combat area, the spam comes right back on immediately. That means the ghosts are standing there idle casting EoO non-stop.

View attachment 57362
No one is saying it's a "normal player" casting enemy of one while dead. Every post I've made here has referenced this being a product of poorly designed scripts and inept players. Not to get too far into semantics, but a player using a script isn't a "bot," that would presume that the character is acting completely autonomously for the event and following the event on its own without any human input of any kind. That isn't happening.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd think that if the 'player' was watching, they'd click that the character was dead and, oh, I dunno, stop the script?

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You'd think that if the 'player' was watching, they'd click that the character was dead and, oh, I dunno, stop the script?
When you're using 6 characters and they all die at the same time, I'd imagine that it isn't that easy to do that. Also remember that this is a product of stupidity and ineptness, so that may be a bit much to ask of them.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you're using 6 characters and they all die at the same time, I'd imagine that it isn't that easy to do that. Also remember that this is a product of stupidity and ineptness, so that may be a bit much to ask of them.
How do you use 6 chars at an EM Event and how do they all die at the exact same time unless they are standing in the exact same spot.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
How do you use 6 chars at an EM Event and how do they all die at the exact same time unless they are standing in the exact same spot.
As established previously, you'd be using 6 characters via a script. They all die at the same time (or very close to each other) when a boss like a stomper or Paroxysmus does a massive AoE attack that often kills upwards of 30 people in an instant, let alone your 6 (or whatever arbitrary number). It is incredibly common for a large number of people to die almost simultaneously at most EM events.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If any of you care for a real and honest opinion on this please icq me at 609670565. The rules of stratics prevent me from stating what is entirely obvious to some of us and completely oblivious to some others.

#collusion

All i can say here is that the cheating is obvious, the neglect of disciplining cheaters is obvious... what isnt so obvious to some is why its allowed so blatantly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If any of you care for a real and honest opinion on this please icq me at 609670565. The rules of stratics prevent me from stating what is entirely obvious to some of us and completely oblivious to some others.

#collusion

All i can say here is that the cheating is obvious, the neglect of disciplining cheaters is obvious... what isnt so obvious to some is why its allowed so blatantly.
IMHO there are a lot more people out there that know exactly what is going on and what is being used. It is so sad to say that if we got our wish and all cheating and RMTs were done away with the population of UO may not be large enough to support UO and EA would need to make a money decision.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think there are times when locking the doors is appropriate. Sorry if sometimes that leaves some folks who weren't able to show up on time on the outside, but it limits participation to 1 character per account for those who show up on time.
Nah, I disagree. They should be left alone til the event is finished.

A lot of cross sharders follow the event on one char then just gate the other chars to the event.

Doesn't make sense to lock it for some misguided effort to limit drops because someone shows up late.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nah, I disagree. They should be left alone til the event is finished.

A lot of cross sharders follow the event on one char then just gate the other chars to the event.

Doesn't make sense to lock it for some misguided effort to limit drops because someone shows up late.
If you are only showing up to the event for the last 5 minutes for your chance to hit the boss and end up locked out, that is quite ok with me.
But my point really goes more to the events like the lantern or pumpkin type of things. It prevents people from cycling through all their characters on the same account... it takes long enough to get through a line with 100 people there... we don't need to turn that into 700 people when everyone brings every character they have.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If you are only showing up to the event for the last 5 minutes for your chance to hit the boss and end up locked out, that is quite ok with me.
But my point really goes more to the events like the lantern or pumpkin type of things. It prevents people from cycling through all their characters on the same account... it takes long enough to get through a line with 100 people there... we don't need to turn that into 700 people when everyone brings every character they have.
I could see that, but if they're clickies or something that would allow you to cycle I'm not sure it'd matter

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol...but dont u see the Multi client playing Event players who seem to get 3 out of 20 drops every event every time...WANT other folks to stop going to Events... That way they get an extra 0.5% chance of getting 4 out of 20 drops.....instead of just the usual 3 !!!!

Jesus!!!
Basically the pinnacle of competitive UO? :D j/k

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol...but dont u see the Multi client playing Event players who seem to get 3 out of 20 drops every event every time...WANT other folks to stop going to Events... That way they get an extra 0.5% chance of getting 4 out of 20 drops.....instead of just the usual 3 !!!!

Jesus!!!
This is why they should have never switched the drop system to a random drop. The current system is too easy to get a drop on, all it takes is a couple hits. Make it top damage again you won't see many multi client bots, because running 5 chars would be extremely inefficient in a top damage system.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree completely. They already multibox wraith throwers. Commanding five+ of them only makes them 5+ of the top damagers.

This is why they should have never switched the drop system to a random drop. The current system is too easy to get a drop on, all it takes is a couple hits. Make it top damage again you won't see many multi client bots, because running 5 chars would be extremely inefficient in a top damage system.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree completely. They already multibox wraith throwers. Commanding five+ of them only makes them 5+ of the top damagers.
All it takes is a difficult boss and their chances of getting any drops is out the window with 5 clients. If you look at the suits and setups for the multi-client players they are basic and are banking on minimal damage to get a drop.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All it takes is a difficult boss and their chances of getting any drops is out the window with 5 clients. If you look at the suits and setups for the multi-client players they are basic and are banking on minimal damage to get a drop.
Uhm... Basic? Not all of them. I've seen some that have obviously had thought and a substantial outlay of gold invested in them (though not all). Remember, the return on investment if you snag multiple drops could be substantial, so it pays to run quality suits on quality templates.

That being said, BS needs to get off its blatantly deaf-dumb-and-blind, lazy, obstinate butt and enforce the ToS. Lest @Scribbles 's theory be seen as confirmed due to continued inaction: corruption at the highest level.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Uhm... Basic? Not all of them. I've seen some that have obviously had thought and a substantial outlay of gold invested in them (though not all). Remember, the return on investment if you snag multiple drops could be substantial, so it pays to run quality suits on quality templates.

That being said, BS needs to get off its blatantly deaf-dumb-and-blind, lazy, obstinate butt and enforce the ToS. Lest @Scribbles 's theory be seen as confirmed due to continued inaction: corruption at the highest level.
Well you of all people know how I feel on this subject.

IMO the Rares community and Collectors have @Mesanna wrapped around their pinkies and tucked in their back pockets. She obviously caters to them in the worst of ways and IMO it's killing UO.

I mean really we all like to "collect" stuff... sometimes I think UO should be offered to all people suffering from Hording as a means to an end... Horde pixels not crap to clutter up your home... but then they would be on here everyday getting stuff to stash in more and more UO houses... and well you get the picture... wait... I do that... dear me.

Anyways... its my opinion that the DEVs/Broadsword does little to nothing to stop the blatant cheating and multi-boxing because either they are getting paid to turn a blind eye... or they are otherwise getting some kick back from the sale of this stuff... or they believe that without these cheaters and lowlifes the game would somehow die rather than flourish... which is IMO insane...

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please. THAT line of BS doesn't fly. I play multiple shards. I see the multiboxers. Their suits are, at the very least, no worse than mine (which is a very nice suit) on ALL their characters. Please don't dispute it or try to defend it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
or they believe that without these cheaters and lowlifes the game would somehow die rather than flourish... which is IMO insane...

I think the game would die if the cheaters were banned and didn't re-open new paid accounts.

But that's why cheating never should have gone unpunished for so long, now it's a problem that likely will never be dealt with. (IMO) because the "cheaters" are needed to keep the game afloat.

as far as EM event items go, I think If there is a drop every person that earns looting rights on the mob should get it... Sure, prices would drop significantly... and some people might stop going to events, but guess what happens when less people attend the events with drops? There are less drops created and they will be more rare than an event with a ton of players earning looting rights.

I know some people go to events for the "Story". but I'm just going to say, most are going for the "drop", because it's the easiest way to make a lot of gold with minimal playing time.... especially if you have corrupted EMs telling people which event will have the drop & what slayer type the mob is going to be...

But hey, that's just more reason to make the drops go to everyone, instead of limited drops to 10-20-30 etc.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is so sad to say that if we got our wish and all cheating and RMTs were done away with the population of UO may not be large enough to support UO and EA would need to make a money decision.
I´d take those odds any day if it meant getting rid of the cheaters.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the game would die if the cheaters were banned and didn't re-open new paid accounts.

But that's why cheating never should have gone unpunished for so long, now it's a problem that likely will never be dealt with. (IMO) because the "cheaters" are needed to keep the game afloat.

as far as EM event items go, I think If there is a drop every person that earns looting rights on the mob should get it... Sure, prices would drop significantly... and some people might stop going to events, but guess what happens when less people attend the events with drops? There are less drops created and they will be more rare than an event with a ton of players earning looting rights.

I know some people go to events for the "Story". but I'm just going to say, most are going for the "drop", because it's the easiest way to make a lot of gold with minimal playing time.... especially if you have corrupted EMs telling people which event will have the drop & what slayer type the mob is going to be...

But hey, that's just more reason to make the drops go to everyone, instead of limited drops to 10-20-30 etc.
I agree for the most part... However, I wonder how many cheaters are paying via sub or legit gtc.... There have been 3rd party sites as of late selling gtcs for cheaper than a sub or gtc from origin. which further begs the question why arent the higher ups cracking down on so many "illegal" activities.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree for the most part... However, I wonder how many cheaters are paying via sub or legit gtc.... There have been 3rd party sites as of late selling gtcs for cheaper than a sub or gtc from origin. which further begs the question why arent the higher ups cracking down on so many "illegal" activities.
It also begs the question is how can these 3rd party sites sell codes so cheap if all the codes are generated by EA only.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It also begs the question is how can these 3rd party sites sell codes so cheap if all the codes are generated by EA only.
Back during the uogamecodes.com era, it was heavily rumored that the method of code generation was either broken, stolen or leaked. Thus how the third party sites could sell well below Origin. Tokens were simply duped en mass, leading prior dev teams to publicly crack down on obvious exploiters. (This is where the burning effigies of a traitor came from.)

As I've said before, if UO would be cancelled due sub loss from a BS crack down on cheaters, then UO needs to be taken out behind the woodshed. It's time.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make the End Boss Areas a No Gate Zone, Put in a "Maze" System Where you use an item to teleport to a random entrance of the maze and have so much time to find your way to the exit, allow the em's to customize the maze so its not always the same with a teleporter at the end to continue the event.

See how many accounts players start bringing when they only have enough time to get one to two in. Ban anyone who tries to grief by blocking the maze.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back during the uogamecodes.com era, it was heavily rumored that the method of code generation was either broken, stolen or leaked. Thus how the third party sites could sell well below Origin. Tokens were simply duped en mass, leading prior dev teams to publicly crack down on obvious exploiters. (This is where the burning effigies of a traitor came from.)

As I've said before, if UO would be cancelled due sub loss from a BS crack down on cheaters, then UO needs to be taken out behind the woodshed. It's time.
What you are stating happened a long time ago and IF they publicly crack down on obvious exploiters back then how is it the 3rd party sites are still selling stuff way cheaper now.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What you are stating happened a long time ago and IF they publicly crack down on obvious exploiters back then how is it the 3rd party sites are still selling stuff way cheaper now.
I didn't say they got all of them :confused: just the mainly the ones who duped tokens, or who they caught with fraudulent codes.

Third party sites might also be eating some costs on Origin-type codes, while making it up in gold and other item sales. Notice how they all charge an outrageous amount in cash for something relatively gold-cheap. This way, they can appear to be a better deal then Origin or the in-game store items, thus generating more traffic and sales. It's an illusion.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make the End Boss Areas a No Gate Zone, Put in a "Maze" System Where you use an item to teleport to a random entrance of the maze and have so much time to find your way to the exit, allow the em's to customize the maze so its not always the same with a teleporter at the end to continue the event.

See how many accounts players start bringing when they only have enough time to get one to two in. Ban anyone who tries to grief by blocking the maze.
If muliboxers can get 1 account in, they get them all in... that is the point of multiboxing.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If muliboxers can get 1 account in, they get them all in... that is the point of multiboxing.

Yes, but multiboxers can't control all 10 characters "Separately" its a game of follow the leader. if their characters wind up at different starting points of the maze they can't simultaneously run them all. If you limit the amount of time to do the maze, they can't get them all in. Trust me.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Making them shard bound would be a big mistake and I and my single chars on other shards would certainly stop going and then I would be missing what little fun I have left in this game, so some live to rule this game and they can, I just like locking down my infrequent drops to gaze at while contemplating what to do, 0 for 5 or 6 so far this month :-( Perhaps December will be my month to get a drop.

Governor Ma Nerva

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
At the end of a recent event I said I thought items should be shard bound to keep the items on the shard they come from. We know how that went. I was called several names and was told that I have no idea about uo economy.
Is there a common ground that can be reached on this issue? perhaps. When i collect things i like the way things look,not the name or tag it has(unless hand held). with that being said why can we not keep the system the way it is with one exception. after every drop offer a clickey at the em hall where everyone gets the same drop but with the name replica on it. that allows all of us to get a drop and, it keeps those that got a drop with the real McCoy still happy they got a rare item. It wouldn't make the real drop worth less.you could even make the replica shard bound. once again that would not deflate the system and it would make all the participants happy. I know everyone getting something is also something that gets the same group up in arms.to some uo is a cash cow. some buy acct codes with their gold. some even sale it for real life cash.As it was said in a earlier post we all pay to play and its just a game.As it stands now most will not go to events because they feel it is a waste of time due to the current system in place. With all the spamming and dragon blocking it is hard to get a health bar pulled up so you can attack it. Perhaps event monsters can have a larger then normal tag so we do not have this problem? I would like to thank all the EM's for the time they invest in a event. I hope a middle ground can be reached on this. I do understand some are bitter about events. It should be about fun if it is not fun for you just do not go. If perhaps you only go for that rare drop perhaps you should rethink critizing those that are frustrated with same people getting a drop every drop. I see them in chat after the event and its the same few names each time.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There seem to be two major schools regarding events: people who want to enjoy them as content, and people who want to collect the items for sale/trade. So let's back up here and ask: what is the purpose of EM events?

When I go to the live events page on UO.com, I see the following:

Event Moderators, EM(s), are on most shards and run unique events to bring community together, tell a story, and build interest in the game.
So if this is the purpose of the program, I ask: is the EM program fulfilling that purpose? At this point I have to say no, and it's not really the fault of the EMs.

The divide between content- and profit-motivated eventgoers has done the OPPOSITE of the stated purpose of bringing community together. It's tearing communities apart.

I don't post as much as I used to, but it's no secret which side of this argument I fall on. I think that greed is strangling this game, and that the current setup of EM events is contributing to a toxic and unsustainable culture of greed, harassment, and resentment. There are major, major issues with the EM program beyond just differences of opinion about drops, but that every single discussion about them comes back to that tells me the program isn't doing what it is allegedly supposed to be doing. The devs need to look very closely at what they WANT the program to do, what it IS doing, and make structural and staffing adjustments based on what the real intent is... and if the real intent is primarily to "stimulate the economy" rather than provide content and entertainment on each shard, they need to be up front about it so that those of us who've been playing by the published rules can stop wasting our time and efforts trying to have fun.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There seem to be two major schools regarding events: people who want to enjoy them as content, and people who want to collect the items for sale/trade. So let's back up here and ask: what is the purpose of EM events?

So if this is the purpose of the program, I ask: is the EM program fulfilling that purpose? At this point I have to say no, and it's not really the fault of the EMs.

The divide between content- and profit-motivated eventgoers has done the OPPOSITE of the stated purpose of bringing community together. It's tearing communities apart.

I don't post as much as I used to, but it's no secret which side of this argument I fall on. I think that greed is strangling this game, and that the current setup of EM events is contributing to a toxic and unsustainable culture of greed, harassment, and resentment. There are major, major issues with the EM program beyond just differences of opinion about drops, but that every single discussion about them comes back to that tells me the program isn't doing what it is allegedly supposed to be doing. The devs need to look very closely at what they WANT the program to do, what it IS doing, and make structural and staffing adjustments based on what the real intent is... and if the real intent is primarily to "stimulate the economy" rather than provide content and entertainment on each shard, they need to be up front about it so that those of us who've been playing by the published rules can stop wasting our time and efforts trying to have fun.
Could not have said it better myself.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

With proper enforcement of the TOS (cheating & harassment), I don't see why the events can't be enjoyable shard specific content AND have rewards.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Well said! But being the eternal cynic, I believe the program IS doing EXACTLY what they want it to. It's an endgame scenario and in order to "win" it almost requires keeping 10+ accounts open which "supposedly" creates revenue. Of course the hundreds of accounts lost by this culture of greed don't seem to matter

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
With proper enforcement of the TOS (cheating & harassment), I don't see why the events can't be enjoyable shard specific content AND have rewards.
Which do you think is more likely? Adjusting the program or enforcing the TOS? Simply as a practical matter (all theories about why the enforcement is low aside), with low staffing, structural adjustments are probably easier.

I would LOVE to see the TOS enforced, mind you, and agree that it would certainly improve the quality and enjoyability of events.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Riyana stated my views perfectly. If the EM is to follow the definition of their position (regardless of shard), then the first is to get enforcement regarding the folks acting like dorks. Get a GM to assist in squelching/freezing/jailing those folks. Oh, IMO first time is for an hour. Period. None of this staged stuff. Slap them hard at the outset.

Hold an event where it is clearly stated that there will be NO special items, but perhaps something that would be a standard loot drop for the mob in question. See if that clears the room! <grin>

Hold an event where it is SPECIFICALLY stated beforehand it is for story expansion only. See if that clears the room!

Get my drift? Have the EM and GM staff work together to reduce the disruptive forces that are at play here.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which do you think is more likely? Adjusting the program or enforcing the TOS? Simply as a practical matter (all theories about why the enforcement is low aside), with low staffing, structural adjustments are probably easier.

I would LOVE to see the TOS enforced, mind you, and agree that it would certainly improve the quality and enjoyability of events.
When it comes to specifically EM events, I don't think enforcement would be to hard for a couple reasons:
  • Em events are at a specific time posted in advance, schedule an extra GM to monitor the events.
  • Announce in advance that enforcement is going to happen and that any infraction will be a minimum 72 hour ban for the first infraction.
  • Specifically task the GM with removing anyone who harasses or otherwise interferes with the EM or anyone who is multiboxing (this is really only going to have to be the last few minutes of the event). The EM will have no say in who gets removed, so the EMs can't be accused of anything. I would even have a Dev member shadow a few times so they can see first hand what is going on.
  • Actually follow through and remove the people and issue the bans
I predict that it would not take long for the issue to disappear, so that after the first month or two you could do more randomized event enforcement.