• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I need a new cpu, pls help

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do I need not to freeze and die when the final event boss erupts into those massive explosions ?
I am sick of it.

Thanks

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you talking about at the Drachs event tonight?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes and every other one where we get that explosion, I am in slow motion until after the boss drops.
Yeah same here. The EM after said "what explosion?" which did make me LOL.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dual Quad Core Prosessor, yes 8 prosessors, 12G Ram, 4G Video, 100M internet, I bing 16-30ms to server and I lag at events.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do fine until the boss mob drops that massive explosion thing. The guys I was in discord with said they also had nasty locks as well. I'm using the EC myself.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really ? then who is killing the boss ? the pet dragons ?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Dual Quad Core Prosessor, yes 8 prosessors, 12G Ram, 4G Video, 100M internet, I bing 16-30ms to server and I lag at events.
That's not a PC that's a Workstation!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really ? then who is killing the boss ? the pet dragons ?
Yea. Plus throwers and basically all CC users, who don't crash/hangup on this particular effect. There is pretty much nothing you can do about it, except for telling Mesanna or your EM to not use mobs with those effects because they are severely unfair for EC users.Good luck with that though, from personal experience they will just act like they never heard about it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Every EM event I have attended in the past few months my screen just constantly flashes white and the game freezes, it's just an hour or so of thinking 'Am I dead again?' 'Yay, I'm alive, oh wait, now I'm dead' It doesn't stop me from going, it's just a bit of an exercise in frustration....My PC plays plenty of recent games with no trouble, it's just UO that's a problem.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seriously that does not happen in the CC ? WTF, looks like I gotta relearn oldschool UO again :-(

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seriously that does not happen in the CC ? WTF, looks like I gotta relearn oldschool UO again :-(
There is plenty of lag and crashes for folks in the CC as well.

I run an I7 with 16g ram and 4g video and freeze for 3-5 seconds on the death of every event boss in CC.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No lag.....
  • CPU: Intel-Core-i7-6700K-4.0GHz-LGA-1151 Sky Lake
  • CPU Cooling: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240 CPU Liquid Cooler
  • CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower
  • Power: Corsair RM1000i 1000W ATX12V / EPS 12V PLUS GOLD
  • Main Drive: SAMSUG 850 EVO 2.5" 2TB SAATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD
  • 2nd Drive: Western Digital 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5"
  • Mother Board: ASUS H170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intrel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
  • Memory: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15D-16GRR
  • Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Operating System: Windows 10 Home
  • Monitor (Main): 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide® WQHD IPS Curved LED Monitor (34.0" Diagonal) 34UC97-S
  • Monitor2: ASUS - 27" Widescreen Flat-Panel IPS LED HD Monitor - Black
  • Monitor3: SAMSUNG SE390 Series S27E390H Black 27" 4ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor
  • Microphone: Blue Yeti Blackout
  • Camera: Logitech c920 Pro
  • Mouse: Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
  • Keyboard: Razor Anansi

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do fine until the boss mob drops that massive explosion thing. The guys I was in discord with said they also had nasty locks as well. I'm using the EC myself.
This is another game breaking EC bug @Bleak . Any mob that uses either the screen-covering FX of an explosion or the waves of flamestrikes tends to bring the EC to its knees, even on beefy PCs. Please tighten this code somehow so these mobs (which EMs LOVE) aren't so hellishly annoying.

The screen whiteout effect is almost just as bad...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any mob that uses either the screen-covering FX of an explosion or the waves of flamestrikes tends to bring the EC to its knees, even on beefy PCs. Please tighten this code somehow so these mobs (which EMs LOVE) aren't so hellishly annoying.
Yeah it absolutely kills the EC. The big explosions from Corgul and Juo'nar are similar but not as bad as the EM event ones, well it seems that way. I will record the next event and hopefully get a good example on video. The last two Drachs events have used it and I've totally locked up until the boss died.

Another problem is with opening the corpses when they go public. They are still spawning with HUNDREDS of items inside and this also totally kills the EC when you open the corpse.

I am using the default client, not Pinco.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah it absolutely kills the EC. The big explosions from Corgul and Juo'nar are similar but not as bad as the EM event ones, well it seems that way. I will record the next event and hopefully get a good example on video. The last two Drachs events have used it and I've totally locked up until the boss died.

Another problem is with opening the corpses when they go public. They are still spawning with HUNDREDS of items inside and this also totally kills the EC when you open the corpse.

Re: full Mob packs. This can be solved simply by limiting the number of loot items generated. Give EM mobs a greater property budget, but a hard cap on the number of items. The corpse doesn't need to be stuffed full of lag/lockup-causing things nobody is going to bother to loot.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I've complained about this till my fingers nearly bleed... I've personally met with Kyronix and he talked to Bleak about the problem with looting corpses... they just IMO DO NOT GET IT. They say that it's Pinco's but it isn't.

I've told them over and over ... I tried helping them but they DO NOT GET IT.

They just don't realize what's going on and they REFUSE to do what I suggested... which was to attend a GL's FINAL EM Boss event and try opening the corpse themselves in the EC from their home PC not the server side PCs ...... Just like any player... on player characters... and tell me that NOTHING is wrong. Because it's an out and out LIE.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem isn't actually the number of items per se, its their properties. 125+ items * 3-8 lines of properties is a lot of data to parse, this is where the client chokes. Pinco's gags a little more because it tries to gauge the imbuing weight for unraveling every item loaded.

A proper test for this issue would need 50-70 players beating on an EM-style mob on TC1 and let the devs whisk the corpse away to poke and prod once it went public (using both UIs).

Might I suggest an impromptu event on a Winterland shard for such a test?

@Bleak @Kyronix

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A proper test for this issue would need 50-70 players beating on an EM-style mob on TC1 and let the devs whisk the corpse away to poke and prod once it went public (using both UIs).
And have them add all the big explosions that they can. Can deal with two problems at once that way!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I read that and it just seemed so hilarious to me that a 19 year old game requires a bigger GPU and more RAM....
Doesn't have much anything to do with the game itself, at least server side, more to do with the client. The CC's sprite based graphics have a tendency to be more CPU heavy, since new PC's typically come with newer more powerful CPU's than those used in 20 years ago, it's no wonder the CC holds up better than the EC in some areas with RAM being a bigger factor. The more GPU driven EC though yea, I can see it needing a beefier Graphics Card as you've got the reverse scenario, though RAM is still important since the CPU is where the particles are still spawned initially by the CPU then handed off to the GPU.

When I'm looking at building a new PC on a budget I always look for a balance, the best GPU in the world won't compensate for a low end CPU, and vice versa, they'll just act as choke points for one or the other.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh I know it's not as simple as 'old game, any crappy PC can run it!' It just struck me as funny having to upgrade a PC to play UO! My husband is a software engineer, no doubt he will now lecture me on my ignorance... :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh I know it's not as simple as 'old game, any crappy PC can run it!' It just struck me as funny having to upgrade a PC to play UO! My husband is a software engineer, no doubt he will now lecture me on my ignorance... :p
It is in a way, but what shocks me more are there are people who only play UO these days. With the cornucopia of Free to Play spilling forth an abundant bounty of games, it's surprising to me that some folks haven't even considered exploring the vast number of games out there.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Shocked? Really?
To an extent, there are a lot of good games out there. I'm honestly surprised when I hear that some folks don't at the least check some of them out. I get the whole thing about people not liking change etc. but you know, what happens in a year, 5 years, or when ever it will inevitably occur that UO is no more? Does gaming become a closed chapter in your life, do you take your experience to the emulation arena, do you start looking for a new game then?

I like to keep my options open, for just MMO's besides UO I think I have all of these installed, I'm not at my desktop so I'm sure I'm missing a couple.
SotA
Shards Online
Everquest
Everquest II
Landmark
Dungeon's and Dragons Online
Lord of the Rings Online
Elder Scrolls Online
Path of Exile
EvE
Final Fantasy XIV
Neverwinter
Star Trek Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Fire Fall

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Sounds like a Stratics user survey may be in order? Just a thought.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In your settings, try changing the particle detail to low. That helped tremendously for me when I would lag out due to a massive explosion. Corgul and Juo'nar used to be the worst, but now I have no problem there.

And as others pointed out, if this is only happening at EM events... that could also be the issue.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sounds like a Stratics user survey may be in order? Just a thought.
Interesting thought, though I wouldn't do it as a poll here on the site, instead I'd use something like Survey Monkey.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't have much anything to do with the game itself, at least server side, more to do with the client. The CC's sprite based graphics have a tendency to be more CPU heavy, since new PC's typically come with newer more powerful CPU's than those used in 20 years ago, it's no wonder the CC holds up better than the EC in some areas with RAM being a bigger factor. The more GPU driven EC though yea, I can see it needing a beefier Graphics Card as you've got the reverse scenario, though RAM is still important since the CPU is where the particles are still spawned initially by the CPU then handed off to the GPU.

When I'm looking at building a new PC on a budget I always look for a balance, the best GPU in the world won't compensate for a low end CPU, and vice versa, they'll just act as choke points for one or the other.
From my understanding most of it is just caused by the old APIs the clients use. For example DirectDraw, which was deprecated with DirectX8 and is fully emulated on newer PCs/DirectX versions. You just don't get the benefit out of those beefy cards when you can't speak to them in the right format. It's not like the computing power can't handle it. I can play games with better graphics in my web browser nowadays ;) Unfortunately, it is certainly not feasible for the small team to redo one of the clients to use the APIs modern graphic cards expect. Plus for the EC they use GameBryo so I guess they had to update that whole thing *cough*