• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Yo! Everyone check your Email for Newsletter #10!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone please post the link? UO.com unfortunately does not.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, we need to see the pink tree and the ankh and sword statues in-world ASAP.

None of them appear to be in the proper perspective. The ankh and sword don't even appear to be in the proper perspective relative to their base.

Getting REAL tired of this...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Interesting new backpack art....so Art Guy ;) What made you decide to do these? They are...rather interesting...pretty nifty idea.

The new BOD rewards look really nice, can't wait to pretty up the towns with those Artisan Event Rewards! That's a really cool idea!

Looks like you guys have been busy, I like it! Thanks!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Interesting new backpack art....so Art Guy ;) What made you decide to do these? They are...rather interesting...pretty nifty idea.
I'm pretty sure they made those because people kept asking for a lighter-colored backpack since quite a few dark colored items are misplaced easily in the current backpack. Pretty hard to find something dark brown or black in a dark brown colored backpack sometimes. The new lighter colored backpacks will help a lot with that.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure they made those because people kept asking for a lighter-colored backpack since quite a few dark colored items are misplaced easily in the current backpack. Pretty hard to find something dark brown or black in a dark brown colored backpack sometimes. The new lighter colored backpacks will help a lot with that.
Yeah...I get that..but fur? It looks kinda.....um.....laughs I don't know ....odd.....I can't find the right words..it's not BAD.....per se........it's just...odd

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
... I will have to do BODs come November?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Okay, we need to see the pink tree and the ankh and sword statues in-world ASAP.

None of them appear to be in the proper perspective. The ankh and sword don't even appear to be in the proper perspective relative to their base.

Getting REAL tired of this...
But we were told they were going to do whatever they wanted with the art so sit and spin on that...

personally I think it's disgusting that they keep putting out art in that completely wrong perspective... it just looks terrible next to the rest of your house, your other items ... anything... Either change the whole **** thing.... as in redo all the art into the new perspective...... ie launch a new client.. with all new art.... or be consistent with what is already there... this mixture of the two perspectives just looks like hell...

Top that off with the fact that 90% of the new art lacks any texture or detail... it just doesn't look like it belongs... and trust me you certainly don't want to know exactly what I think about this art. I've been quiet about it for a long time but this is just terrible.

Nice idea's for things but since they look totally horrid with the rest of the game.... almost over simple... it is disgusting. I'm going to say it once again... this artist needs to either go back to school ...... or he needs to up his game. Go into the freaking art files and look at what is IN the game... and if you can't live up to those standards... get out of the business.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im kinda liking the bag that looks like its made out of the skin of my enemies.

ill just plug this in here.... bring back the bounty system.
there, i said it.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ill just plug this in here.... bring back the bounty system.
there, i said it.
Concur.

And as for the two badly made trophies (?? Anks and Sword thingies) - yes, they are WAY off perspective. Throws me back to Zelda days. *sigh*

*edit*
And the new green carvable pumpkins are lackluster at best. Only did one so far... but it doesn't look "carved" at all. Just looks like someone slapped a graphic onto the thing.

Totally doesn't match the decor... am gonna put out my other pumpkins, they are prettier.

Last edited:
But we were told they were going to do whatever they wanted with the art so sit and spin on that...

personally I think it's disgusting that they keep putting out art in that completely wrong perspective... it just looks terrible next to the rest of your house, your other items ... anything... Either change the whole **** thing.... as in redo all the art into the new perspective...... ie launch a new client.. with all new art.... or be consistent with what is already there... this mixture of the two perspectives just looks like hell...

Top that off with the fact that 90% of the new art lacks any texture or detail... it just doesn't look like it belongs... and trust me you certainly don't want to know exactly what I think about this art. I've been quiet about it for a long time but this is just terrible.

Nice idea's for things but since they look totally horrid with the rest of the game.... almost over simple... it is disgusting. I'm going to say it once again... this artist needs to either go back to school ...... or he needs to up his game. Go into the freaking art files and look at what is IN the game... and if you can't live up to those standards... get out of the business.
whats wrong with the art. looks fine to me

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
5. Is it possible to add a wedding package to the Ultima Store?

This is a great idea. We are currently in the process of putting together special items related to Weddings. Once everything is finalized we will let you guys know when it will be available to purchase.
Ha, I love this, considering it was already an existing service called 'Magic Moments' we had over a decade ago.

Also that new art is absolutely dreadful. Seriously?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, lets look at the ankh and sword "trophies" first.

AnkhSword.png

Notice how the base part will cover an entire tile, and how we can plainly see their top surface. Now look at the actual ankh and sword parts: while their angle is good for seeing what they are, they are tilted/bent significantly towards the NE corner in relation to the base. We should really be seeing more of the top of the ankh's loop and more of the pommel, while the arms of the ankh should be level with the SW and NE corners of the base.

So I removed the background and dropped the items into a scene of from one of my buildings in the EC (default zoom). Lots of other art to compare things to. (The items appear to be to scale in the newsletter graphic)

ItemsinHouse.png

They don't look as horrid as I feared, but the dueling perspectives is a bit jarring. Obviously, they chose ease of recognition over accuracy.

Now lets look at the pink tree (sugar plum tree?)

PinkTree.png

I removed the background and plopped it into a scene of trees in the EC (default zoom). The actual tree may be larger than what is in the newsletter, or it could be shrub-sized.

trees.png

It doesn't quite match the perspective of the other trees, but its close...but we really shouldn't be able to "see" the underside of the canopy...not even a little. The coloration of the trunk definitely doesn't fit the world well either...and this id a BOD reward...why? Does it give a new fruit type?

Overall, not as bad as I feared...just a little odd.

Now, has that horrendous Christmas tree from last month been redone? Because its just terrible.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can glaringly see the bad perspective on the green and red lanters... the ankh looks bent over backwards... I wish the plum tree didn't look dipped in paint... the trunk should be brown...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In case anyone's forgotten, this is the horrendous Christmas tree from last month's newsletter:

FuglyTree.png

I dropped that fugly flocked, third-grader decorated, six-tile-gobbling monstrosity into the same house scene as before...and wept.

HorridTree.png

The tree is blurry, lopsided, poorly decorated and the presents aren't displayed in an aesthetically pleasing manner...they need to be playfully stacked on top of each other. We shouldn't be able to see much of the trunk either. People tend to hide that. Put a tree skirt under the packages...

If you must flock it, do so lightly...not the present dipped-in-paint version.

I'll be blunt: I LOATHE THIS TREE!

Take inspiration from images such as these:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The flocking IMO is ok... at the least the base is tree colored... but the packages .... BAD... and the tree looks like it's bending back to the one side.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last info I have is that they thought of making it a turn in for points system and choose a reward for the points. But they wanted to scale it. So for better bods you gather points for better rewards. As far as i remember there should be new rewards for Blacksmith and Tailoring.

The last info I have is that they thought of making it a turn in for points system and choose a reward for the points. But they wanted to scale it. So for better bods you gather points for better rewards. As far as i remember there should be new rewards for Blacksmith and Tailoring.
I don't really understand.

But someone please tell me:
Are they turning BoDs into an even fiercer grinding nightmare?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I kind of like the backpack changes ... my miner will be able to find all the blackrock easier! However, in true UO player fashion, I shall wait until I can see them in the client to judge if they are REALLY worth it or just a waste of a designers time. The new BOD rewards look interesting and I'll certainly be working them for a while on both my smith and tailor.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Newsletter #10 is out! Check your Email!
The new art is... ok. Only one I really don't like is the sword trophy or whatever. Is it a higher resolution? Yeah. Does it have a much larger color palette than the regular game? Yeah. That's pretty much going to happen with all art going forward. The perspective is actually much better than they usually make it.

Looks alright, but as usual, I don't really have a desire to put any of them in my house, and thus, shan't be bothering to get them.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case anyone's forgotten, this is the horrendous Christmas tree from last month's newsletter:

View attachment 55429

I dropped that fugly flocked, third-grader decorated, six-tile-gobbling monstrosity into the same house scene as before...and wept.

View attachment 55430

The tree is blurry, lopsided, poorly decorated and the presents aren't displayed in an aesthetically pleasing manner...they need to be playfully stacked on top of each other. We shouldn't be able to see much of the trunk either. People tend to hide that. Put a tree skirt under the packages...

Take inspiration from images such as these:

It is perplexingly crooked.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards

View attachment 55429

View attachment 55430

Couldn't they just have made a snowy version of the good old Holiday Tree?!?

Something like this:

HolidayTree2.png

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm excited to have a way to have our cities decorated for the holidays. I hope they'll be other holidays too! I personally still have a dream to see UO-Related holidays celebrating events in history rather than just RL ones.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only item I really need is this lovely Oloroso cask for aging my freshly distilled malt. Shame, I dont do BODs.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes the art is odd, I think it always will be. My question is on bods. Will we turn them in for points to add up or for an item like now? I hope for points. :)

I do thank the team for new stuff.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
im guessing the new dyes are turn in dyes!!! about time too!!! looks like nice ones....

View attachment 55475
My guess is they are bod rewards... My hope is they will work on more things than normal dyes do... More things than Natural Dyes, more things than the Turn In Dyes... etc...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guess is they are bod rewards... My hope is they will work on more things than normal dyes do... More things than Natural Dyes, more things than the Turn In Dyes... etc...
Dyes need to work consistently. Anything that can presently be dyed should be able to have any dye type used on it. No more silly "magical items only" restrictions.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
goes to check the turn in trader...seroiusly missed any info about new clean up stuff....mmmmm...weve been asking for a year or two!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow just checked and yes there are 24 on offer and i onlky have a set of 20.... time to spend some points on the 4 above!! thanks @S_S

i lov the colours of the 5 new dyes top of post... looks like the bods may yet get some hammer

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ha, I love this, considering it was already an existing service called 'Magic Moments' we had over a decade ago.

Also that new art is absolutely dreadful. Seriously?
Magnus, it would have to be loads better than Magic Moments was. For that kinda fee, their service was awful. I went to two of the weddings they did, the first one, the couple only got the invitations to give out the day before the wedding-needless to say they just handed em out at the wedding at souvenirs lol. Plus the emcee was 20 minutes late getting there.

The other Magic Moments wedding, I got my invite in a fairly timely manner, but then I was asked to perform the ceremony by the couple after we stood around for 30 mins waiting for the pro to show up.

Great idea, implementation and supervision were total ****pile.