• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And now for something a bit different

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes it's a click-bait thread title.

I see a lot of threads on what people would like added or changed in UO, but what I'm interested to hear is, if you were to get a phone call from Broadsword and they told you that you could pick 5 things to be removed from the game, what would they be.

I don't want this to be a cause for debate or argument, but rather that you list 5 things with or without a short explanation why, purely to console my idle curiosity.

My List!

1. Greater Dragons: They are at best an average pet, they only access at soaking up damage and have the side effect luring in the lag monster at events.
  2. Shard Shields: They've damaged a revenue stream for UO, since they circumvent the need to buy transfer tokens for a large number of players.
  3. Unapproved 3rd Party Programs: They have made Honesty a burden rather than a virtue in UO, we all agreed to a ToS that disallows them when we entered the game. If instead of trying to deter them with changes to game mechanics, why can't it be set so if you are using one the server keeps kicking you? After all we've been told more than once they can detect them.
  4. Cu Sidhe Mystery Bandages: Seriously where are they getting the phantom bandages, how come they have an unlimited supply, are they reusing the same dirty one? At least require us to feed bandages to them or something.
  5. This one is purely wishful thinking... Everything since Publish 5

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*buys extra popcorn and a spit take bib for monitor and keyboard*

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  1. Greater Dragons: They are at best an average pet, they only access at soaking up damage and have the side effect luring in the lag monster at events.
  2. Shard Shields: They've damaged a revenue stream for UO, since they circumvent the need to buy transfer tokens for a large number of players.
  3. Unapproved 3rd Party Programs: They have made Honesty a burden rather than a virtue in UO, we all agreed to a ToS that disallows them when we entered the game. If instead of trying to deter them with changes to game mechanics, why can't it be set so if you are using one the server keeps kicking you? After all we've been told more than once they can detect them.

These are in my opinion what helped this game greatly.

Of course I will likely get banned for disagreeing with you.

1. Greater Dragons are the most sought after pet ever in this game. people willing to pay thousands real dollars to acquire the best.

2. Shields opened the game up to allow for us to play anyplace and everyplace at anytime.

3. They need to be approved. It's ridiculous at this point they're not accepted. They take the routine monotony out of the game and allow of a much large play area of the game in 2D.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Malas
2. 50% of the shards. (the 50% with the lowest populations)
3. Not being able to powder many of the new artifact drops.
4. Durability on jewels
5. One of the clients.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Remove Act of Stupidity (AoS) and it's itemization from the game. Let's get back to skilled play.
2. Remove Insurance from the game. With few supertoys it's not really needed.
3. Ban anyone caught afk scripting. Permanently.
4. Remove player made cannon powder charges and fuses, put both on all alchemists in quantity at set unchanging prices.
5. Remove Greater Dragons.You can't see anything under the dozens of huge wings in battle.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
New Haven - I hate this more than anything! :(
Re-vamped Dungeon Despise - I just don't see the point of changing it like that. Despise was the best place for new players.
New Magincia - it's like some horrible shanty town.
Random ore - makes things harder for honest miners.
Vendors with no description of contents...this just drives me crazy! :p

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. Imbuing
2. Gargoyles or at least their flying.
3. The need for Stratics...Complete the UO forums already.
4. Old Shards
5. EC Client

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A List of things, added to UO I would like removed? oh, That's easy!

1) Casting Focus.
2) Poison Immunity.
3) Tactics requirements for weapon specials.
4) The ability to keep specials toggled while casting spells.
5) The ability to imbue Artifact items with less than 450 item weight 5 properties

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Remove Act of Stupidity (AoS) and it's itemization from the game. Let's get back to skilled play.
2. Remove Insurance from the game. With few supertoys it's not really needed.
3. Ban anyone caught afk scripting. Permanently.
4. Remove player made cannon powder charges and fuses, put both on all alchemists in quantity at set unchanging prices.
5. Remove Greater Dragons.You can't see anything under the dozens of huge wings in battle.
Instead of removing them entirely (old pets simply cannot compete with the damage done by modern mobs, although they can work as extra dps), there should be an option IN THE CLIENT to resize them so you can actually see what the hell is going on during an event.

As for the thread itself, I can't think of much on my personal list that hasn't already been said, but I will add these:

Make existing content worth doing. New content is great, but when people farm it for 1-2 weeks tops, then stop going to it entirely, why bother even introducing it in the first place? Even ignoring "new content syndrome", practically everything in the game isn't worth even glancing at. Only a few boss monsters have loot worth mentioning.

Artifact drops, i.e. Shadowguard: Bump up the drop rate (slightly) on harder-to-find items like Cameos. And bump up the drop rate entirely, because I can do several runs without getting a drop. Which, for something that I heard was supposed to be a 30% drop rate (lol, yeah right), I should get a drop every few runs - when Shadowguard was first introduced, I had finished maybe 10 runs before getting my first.

Enziet

Journeyman
My list is simple. Remove the low pop shards, remove the "Enhanced Client", and remove third party applications. The game just needs an overhaul at this point and EH is just plain not good enough.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My list is simple. Remove the low pop shards, ...
Removing the low population shards would remove a lot of paying customers from UO. Those of us who have continued to play low population shards by staying on one or moving to another one instead of the zoo of Atlantic would not like being mobbed together in an overcrowded shard. We prefer the rural feel of our lower populated shards, being forced into a mob scene shard would ruin the game for us. I know it would for me.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1. Greater Dragons
2. New Magincia

These are two that I would like to see gone

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
1. The repeated nerfs to chivalry, bushido
2. Repeated rescaling of skill usefulness to 120 (we were promised that wouldn't happen, and we were lied to)
3. "Fixing" of things that aren't broken before fixing of things that are.
4. The Ultima IX music. (Seriously, bring back the original Ultima Online tunes.)
5. "An harpsichord roll." (Seriously, hire someone whose first language is English, to check all text.)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My list is simple. Remove the low pop shards, remove the "Enhanced Client", and remove third party applications.
Remove low population shards. Sorry to burst you bubble but Atl can not support UO so UO closes down.
Remove the EC. Sorry again but us CC users alone can not support UO so close UO.
Remove 3rd party programs. Sorry again there is not enough of us honest players to support UO so close UO.

What you really want is REMOVE UO. Now that is the way to fix UO.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old Shards
You want to get rid of Atlantic shard? I like that idea. There is no reason everyone should be playing on one shard.
If they brake it up everyone would move to a smaller shard.
This monopoly Atlantic has on the economy should fall under the same rules as the anti-trust laws.

Of course we shouldn't make a lawsuit against this monopoly but the concept still holds true.

Last edited:

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't ask for much but...

1. Remove the 2D Swamp Dragon artwork, it's just awwwwwful compared to it's 3D equivalent. (make barding for all pet types and delete 2D Swampie)
2. Remove Luck, it's just an unnecessary inconvienience that you feel the need to plaster over your suit to get improvements in loot that as we all know has probably never worked properly from the start.
3. Remove the Spellweaving requirement to get a max focus, it's just unnecessary and an inconvienience on quiet shards.
4. Remove rubber banding on plant life in Felucca! It's a plant ffs. Imagine if IRL you ran through a field of poppies and you got bounced back constantly? Yeah, exactly!
5. Remove 2D Swamp Dragon artwork, it's errr... awful :p

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I hate to see the Greater Dragons vanish but feel they could do something about all that flapping around, far too many wings in the game from all directions. Put a switch where we can see the boss under all that sea of wings in the CC and the EC. Or fix all those wings to not flap in battle.

I have never been a fan of the Gargoyles and do not have one on any account. So I would not miss them if they were to vanish today.

I missed the old Magincia and the old Haven. So you have my vote for bringing them both back.

I hate random t maps, bring back the KNOWN locations. All I can say is thank you for Davies Locker. At least I can get coordinates off the map from it.

I wish shard shields for transfer were at 12 yrs, I have to wait for a few more yrs before I get any.

Enziet

Journeyman
Remove low population shards. Sorry to burst you bubble but Atl can not support UO so UO closes down.
Remove the EC. Sorry again but us CC users alone can not support UO so close UO.
Remove 3rd party programs. Sorry again there is not enough of us honest players to support UO so close UO.

What you really want is REMOVE UO. Now that is the way to fix UO.
Meh! To each their own.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(1) Shard Transfers
(2) Shard Transfers
(3) Shard Transfers
(4) Shard Transfers
and... wait...

(5) Shard Transfers...

Ok, seriously:

(1) Shard Transfers *giggles*
(2) Log out/in waiting time after being in PVM-battles (tagged by a mongbat, bah!)
(3) Fizzling Resurrecion Spells after 110 Magery. C´mon. Thats silly.
(4) Droprates below 3% chance. Make RNG like Doom (increasing chances after earch try or bring them up to 10 %).
(5) EM Event Items

(6) Felucca & PKs...just kidding, I know thats a very sociable way of getting rid of aggression, even superior to masturbation... sometimes...

Last edited:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You want to get rid of Atlantic shard? I like that idea. There is no reason everyone should be playing on one shard.
If they brake it up everyone would move to a smaller shard.
Five minutes later the entire UO population is on Great Lakes and you're b*****ng about that instead.

Anyway, what I would remove are absolutely any remaining traces of Third Dawn graphics. The orc brute sprite, for example, is the ugliest thing in the game.

Also, anyone saying Trammel? LOL. Full-loot gankfest MMO gameplay died for a reason.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My list is simple. Remove the low pop shards, remove the "Enhanced Client", and remove third party applications. The game just needs an overhaul at this point and EH is just plain not good enough.
Get rid of Atlantic and populate all the rest of the shards with them :)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
my pick of the top thing that should be removed from the game.

EM event drops
Oh get over it. Everytime I see something like this it's either...

1) A pathological hoarder mad that they can't own one of every pixel in the game.

2) A bitter roleplayer upset that the EM program serves people with deviant interests like "making money" and "playing good templates".

3) Someone butthurt that they either can't make it to events or don't seem to get drops, masquerading as one of the other two.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
AoS
Tram ruleset - Not really opposed to some places being "safe" zones, but entire facets was just dumb
Insurance - without AoS this really wouldn't be needed
Shard Transfers (all)

Enziet

Journeyman
Get rid of Atlantic and populate all the rest of the shards with them :)
I can live with this. My Main account is on Pacific with over 18 years of service logged on it :p I only just started on Atlantic about 5 months ago to join a very old guild there :)

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
1. All the shards I don't play
2. The facet I don't play
3. All the templates I don't play
4. All the play styles I don't play
5. The client I don't use

Because if we get rid of all the stuff people would rather be doing, the only other option is to do what I want to do, right?

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh get over it. Everytime I see something like this it's either...

1) A pathological hoarder mad that they can't own one of every pixel in the game.

2) A bitter roleplayer upset that the EM program serves people with deviant interests like "making money" and "playing good templates".

3) Someone butthurt that they either can't make it to events or don't seem to get drops, masquerading as one of the other two.

I'm closer to number one because I have more drops then just about anyone in the game I bet.
It's not the pixels that i do it for. It's because it's the primary thing to do in the game.
Very simply if I'm playing any game I play to get the best stuff that game has to offer.
Decorations at my castle is like the first day I got the place. Just a bunch of bags (pathological hoarder.)

The point is these items should be incorporated into the game not on scheduled events.
The rewards at EM events should be minor items not primary items in the game.

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think my main complaint is content that is no longer valued. Instead of adding new lands and new bosses we need a significant rebirth of old continents and boss encounters to make them worth doing, hunting, and exploring again. There is soooooo much wasted space in UO, and so many areas that aren't visited for any reason other than nostalgia.

Either delete it all, or revamp it.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think my main complaint is content that is no longer valued. Instead of adding new lands and new bosses we need a significant rebirth of old continents and boss encounters to make them worth doing, hunting, and exploring again. There is soooooo much wasted space in UO, and so many areas that aren't visited for any reason other than nostalgia.

I like what they did with the hat of the magi used it as an ingredient. If more items were used for ingredients doom would be worth doing again.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
1) Vet Reward System with rewards for greater than 3 years.
2) Any current currencies.
3) Any non-customizable houses.
4) The option to go above 100 Skill and 720 skill level. 100/700 was fine.
5) All the new itemization. They can't do it well so don't do it.

Bonus* Anything unattainable in game. Replica tags can be considered attainable.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
5 things that should be removed from game

1. cheating
2. the cheaters
3.employees that don't even care/look for cheaters
4. cheats
5. oh and cheating lol

- the devs spent a lot of time on revamping but the new loot destroyed a lot of content and crafting. I wouldn't of made the new loot so good. could of been turned up slowly but what do I know. the dev are working on revamping bods. if people are allowed to continue to bod filling script/other cheats, its no revamp, its just one of the many ways people get screwed over and leave the game. just my opinions.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like what they did with the hat of the magi used it as an ingredient. If more items were used for ingredients doom would be worth doing again.
I'm expecting them to actually do this, which is why I keep a character down there, or can send one at any time if I so desire. In recent Doom runs (since the publish), I've gotten the Berserker's Maul (Atl) and Axe of the Heavens (LS.)

It's really too bad it's not 2003 anymore, those weapons were actually used for something other than taking up room in your house.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
1. All the shards I don't play
2. The facet I don't play
3. All the templates I don't play
4. All the play styles I don't play
5. The client I don't use

Because if we get rid of all the stuff people would rather be doing, the only other option is to do what I want to do, right?
That is so right on man. *starts slow clap*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Reboot. I am with you.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes it's a click-bait thread title.

I see a lot of threads on what people would like added or changed in UO, but what I'm interested to hear is, if you were to get a phone call from Broadsword and they told you that you could pick 5 things to be removed from the game, what would they be.

I don't want this to be a cause for debate or argument, but rather that you list 5 things with or without a short explanation why, purely to console my idle curiosity.

My List!
  1. Cu Sidhe Mystery Bandages: Seriously where are they getting the phantom bandages, how come they have an unlimited supply, are they reusing the same dirty one? At least require us to feed bandages to them or something.
My tamer I'm able to carry over 1500 maybe more not sure haven't played my tamer for awhile. I was able to stay hours in one spot with my Cu also Cus also have self heal.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The point is these items should be incorporated into the game not on scheduled events.
The rewards at EM events should be minor items not primary items in the game.
The items are nothing but combinations of existing artwork and random colors. They don't have any intrinsic function, they don't do anything, and they're literally only important because they exist in limited numbers and people want them. You and the rest of the handful of dedicated EM event complainers around here keep screaming "STOP GIVING PEOPLE STUFF THEY WANT" and wonder why you're ignored year after year.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The items are nothing but combinations of existing artwork and random colors. They don't have any intrinsic function, they don't do anything, and they're literally only important because they exist in limited numbers and people want them. You and the rest of the handful of dedicated EM event complainers around here keep screaming "STOP GIVING PEOPLE STUFF THEY WANT" and wonder why you're ignored year after year.
I didn't say not to give the stuff out. I said to incorporate it into the game. Events are not part of the game mechanics.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just cleaned out my backpack ...

1.) Get rid of asinine blackrock.
2.) Get rid of asinine blackrock.
3.) Get rid of asinine blackrock.
4.) Get rid of asinine blackrock.
5.) Get rid of asinine blackrock.

:rant2: