• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Difference between Prized Brittle & Antique

tombomb84

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Could someone please explain the differences between items that are Prized, Brittle and Antique.
Any imput is appreciated.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Prized costs way more to insure. I believe you can POF it as long it is not a jewel.
Brittle behaves pretty much like imbued items. Can't be POF'ed, but last as long as an imbued piece.
Antique loses durabilty any time you do anything that might resemble combat. It dies very quickly.

tombomb84

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So if you want to repeatedly be able to increase an item up to 255 Durablilty then it would have to be a clean piece or prized correct?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That is correct.
As for myself, brittle is my thing. I love those brittle pieces. They are plentiful, they last a darn long time and they tend to be a bit heavier on stats than those clean pieces. Legendary brittle pieces is where it is at for armour.
For weapons just imbue what you need.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Neither clean nor prized jewelry can't be POF'ed.
The devs made it so for reasons.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Prized = spendy to insure but awesome...

Brittle = imbued... can't be powdered but still ok

Antique = garbage ..... now some might say it's still good but IMO it's not worth building a suit around.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I need to step in here.
Most of the explanation is correct but when it comes to antique i need to add something. Antique is not Junk in general

Antique jewels are the way to go in pvp. These jewels (if the mods Match) can sell for several billions (we are speaking here about 10-15+ mods)

Antique armor can be used for workers / traders etc. Good as long as you dont fight.

Antique weapons can be used for pvp. I saw some nasty splintering. But you have to accept that they will wear out very fast. So i would not use them for primary weapon.

Also. Antique can be powdered 2 times (except jewel) i think to remember first back to 200 then to 100 or so (someone may know it)

@Capt. Lucky @MalagAste
Your Statements are wrong sorry. Antique is no where near trash. But feel free to drop me your found antique legendary and major jewels into my Mailbox :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to step in here.
Most of the explanation is correct but when it comes to antique i need to add something. Antique is not Junk in general

Antique jewels are the way to go in pvp. These jewels (if the mods Match) can sell for several billions (we are speaking here about 10-15+ mods)

Antique armor can be used for workers / traders etc. Good as long as you dont fight.

Antique weapons can be used for pvp. I saw some nasty splintering. But you have to accept that they will wear out very fast. So i would not use them for primary weapon.

Also. Antique can be powdered 2 times (except jewel) i think to remember first back to 200 then to 100 or so (someone may know it)

@Capt. Lucky @MalagAste
Your Statements are wrong sorry. Antique is no where near trash. But feel free to drop me your found antique legendary and major jewels into my Mailbox :)
They're not wrong. They just have a different opinion from yours. There's a difference.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well. Ofc everyone can have his own opinion. Thats not the point. The OP wanted an explanation and not the Personal opinion of someone.

telling a guy antique = garbage, not worth building a suit around is simply wrong.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't use antique myself as I only do PvM and prefer imbued stuff for my crafters, but Finley is definitely not wrong regarding antique items.
They play a big role in PvP at the very least, as they are very powerful, easily attainable and replaced items.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use antique also in pvm. But it's very limited.
Using them on a mage is sort of ok.

On a tamer which uses Mastery its Problematik. One roof with all the rooms before then I have to repair my ring.

Due to the fact that i use EC. Carry a imbued ring with some Minimum mods for small stuff. The antique i switch in for the Big stuff

I would not use antique weapons on warrior but I'd say a jewel properly cared of could be used good while.

Do not repair them below 30 to fail less.

Dont use high end pieces for pvm. Use moderate easy to replace ones. Then u are good.
Sell the high end ones to pvp er.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I need to step in here.

@Capt. Lucky @MalagAste
To me they're total trash and would NEVER use them. I get one in loot I might play around with it a little but I would never actually pay for antique or brittle. You have your preference and I have mine. I don't build suits and skills around stuff that ain't gonna be around long. People give me a story about how it lasts forever and when ever I get one it's done in a week or two. Maybe like you say it might have some value to a crafter. I don't use replica or any of that. If it can't be POFed I don't need it. It's always prized or better for me. I have accumulated a few 100 jewels that don't have durability either. But hey! Use, buy whatever ya want I don't care. As long as you know what your getting.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
For my tamer, Antique is perfect...since all the +taming jewels I find are antique I really never have to worry about losing them or finding a replacement...I just find another one! :)

antique.jpg

At least until I 120 my taming....eventually... :/ lol

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is enough good antique jewels out there that you can find a suitable replacement.

And even if you're very active, it's going to still last quite a bit.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use antique also in pvm. But it's very limited.
Using them on a mage is sort of ok.

On a tamer which uses Mastery its Problematik. One roof with all the rooms before then I have to repair my ring.

Due to the fact that i use EC. Carry a imbued ring with some Minimum mods for small stuff. The antique i switch in for the Big stuff

I would not use antique weapons on warrior but I'd say a jewel properly cared of could be used good while.

Do not repair them below 30 to fail less.

Dont use high end pieces for pvm. Use moderate easy to replace ones. Then u are good.
Sell the high end ones to pvp er.
What is this repair figure of below 30 based on? Has anyone ever seen or heard a dev explain the process? I'd love to know the official stats. I know everyone has their experience/opinion but I'd sure like to see how it is coded, chance to succeed/fail at various levels etc.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I need to step in here.

@Capt. Lucky @MalagAste
Ok lets put it into perspective here... I have 10+ accounts and 90 some characters on my "home" shard..... plus building a Tamer on every shard... and whatnot... That's a TON of characters.... some of them I use VERY frequently for hard core PvM and some PvP..... I don't have time in-game to waste constantly finding crap for my characters... I'm also not about to go dancing around with swapping suits from this character to that character not only is that how you lose stuff but that's how you wind up NOT having stuff insured and really losing stuff and I'd rather not spend precious time trying to figure out what the heck character had the suit I want on last.

So NO IMO Antique is Garbage... Not gonna waste my time building up a suit around something I'm going to have to continually farm to replace... there is barely enough time in the days I can play to do what I do in the first place. Having to continually update stuff like virtues, suits, reagents whatever is just a waste of time. Grinding things is boring and I'd rather just buy what I need and let someone else spend the endless hours grinding... at this point my time is better spent hanging with friends... which IMO is more important than stuff.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great opinions, guys. As @Finley Grant stated, OP wasn't looking for your opinions. To give an objective answer, it's important to explain the benefits and practical use cases for antique gear as well.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ok lets put it into perspective here... I have 10+ accounts and 90 some characters on my "home" shard..... plus building a Tamer on every shard... and whatnot... That's a TON of characters.... some of them I use VERY frequently for hard core PvM and some PvP..... I don't have time in-game to waste constantly finding crap for my characters... I'm also not about to go dancing around with swapping suits from this character to that character not only is that how you lose stuff but that's how you wind up NOT having stuff insured and really losing stuff and I'd rather not spend precious time trying to figure out what the heck character had the suit I want on last.

So NO IMO Antique is Garbage... Not gonna waste my time building up a suit around something I'm going to have to continually farm to replace... there is barely enough time in the days I can play to do what I do in the first place. Having to continually update stuff like virtues, suits, reagents whatever is just a waste of time. Grinding things is boring and I'd rather just buy what I need and let someone else spend the endless hours grinding... at this point my time is better spent hanging with friends... which IMO is more important than stuff.

I only have three accounts... use all my toons semi frequently, and the antique jewels last. You can absolutely build templates around those jewels if you have that many toons. There is no way 90 toons are coming out on a daily or even weekly basis.

For someone with that many characters, there shouldn't be any issue with Antique. Maybe with the exception of the handful of characters you use the most, an antique jewel is going to last a long time. Clearly, you don't want your most important skills to be modified via jewels... i.e., if you're going to use an Animal Taming mastery primer on a Tamer... but just about anything else should be fine.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I remember when Vendor Search didn't have "Non Antique" as a search criteria. It was basically impossible to find clean jewels back then.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This will be may last Post in this topic as i dont want to mess around with the OP.

As said. The OP wanted an explanation n not your Personal opinion.

@MalagAste
I said already that it can be problemmatic for pvm in some template but still usable.

@Parnoc
Unfortunately I don't have hard Facts about the repair topic. The only thing i know for sure is that the closer to 0 the more often you fail. Thats why I repair them with a Tinker using a +chance trinket not below 30 but not higher than 50. I do this because i want to fail less as possible but don't waste too many dura

@all antique is crap. If you really let these Babies decay in the Boss corpse you have no right to complain that some **** is expensive as hell as you basically throw huge amounts of cash out of the window...

But Hey. Thats actually good for me. Less high end pieces on the market. = Better Profit when selling mjne.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
What's the problem? If a ton of us won't touch antique or brittle then it's more stuff for everyone else lol

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This your first time in a discussion forum?
I dont know what ur Problem is.

The OP want an explanation about the differences. Nothing more.

I have explained pro and con of antique items. So no need to discuss your Personal opinion about which i dont give a ****

I dont have time to waste talking to you

And yes. Im happy to take part in a useful discussion... Which this is not.

All Information was given to the OP.
@OP feel free to get back to me for objective Information in items or prices.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What's the problem? If a ton of us won't touch antique or brittle then it's more stuff for everyone else lol

Actually it's not from me... I take home pretty much all relic frag worthy items on a corpse that I find... from EM events to whatever. And if I don't like them and don't see a use for them.... ie if they are Cursed/Antique or require 125 Str... or weigh 50 stones.... etc.... I unravel them for relic frags. I don't sell anything on Vendors. Though I have a Luna shop none of the Vendors there are mine... the two Vendors at my Yew house are mostly for my own use. No I don't store stuff on them and mark them as not for sale... I occasionally use them to sell something to someone who doesn't trust just trading it.

But as a general rule most the stuff I keep I give away to friends and returning players or I use it for decoing homes when I design homes for folk or I use it for my own characters... Or I just horde it for a collection or what have you. But you won't see it and you likely won't be using it after it's passed my hands.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Great opinions, guys. As @Finley Grant stated, OP wasn't looking for your opinions. To give an objective answer, it's important to explain the benefits and practical use cases for antique gear as well.
Well if he wants a cold by the book answer it's called Google. However when I was returning and this was a new concept for me I paid a lot for some items I deeply regretted buying as I watched them fall apart. So a word to the wise is to be completely informed. Buy what you want but know what it is your getting.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finley is right. You can use Antique for MANY MANY templates without any problems as you can repair them MANY MANY times. On my main PVM-char on Siege (!) I am using Antique Major Jewelry with awesome stats and have repaired them 15+ times (still up to 230 or something in Dura). These pieces are lasting for 8 months now - with daily hunting for 1h+. So all crap?

Everybody who says something else is just ignorant and not very creative. Just look at the trade forums. Why do people spend millions and millions for antique stuff? Yeah, they are all stupid. The market is stupid. And people having no idea of what they are talking about (cuz they dont use the stuff), are the pinnacles of wisdom.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Finley is right. You can use Antique for MANY MANY templates without any problems as you can repair them MANY MANY times. On my main PVM-char on Siege (!) I am using Antique Major Jewelry with awesome stats and have repaired them 15+ times (still up to 230 or something in Dura). These pieces are lasting for 8 months now - with daily hunting for 1h+. So all crap?

Everybody who says something else is just ignorant and not very creative. Just look at the trade forums. Why do people spend millions and millions for antique stuff? Yeah, they are all stupid. The market is stupid. And people having no idea of what they are talking about (cuz they dont use the stuff), are the pinnacles of wisdom.

:facepalm:
Cause some people have so much ****ing gold in this game it's insane. 50 million is nothing to them to be PvP king for 2 weeks. That's my theory. My crafters don't need uber items lol I realize a lot of folks are trying to make a coin of this stuff. But I seriously wonder why anyone buys it. This is an insane Atlantic thing going on. On Legends you can buy artifacts for 25 or 50K lol. But I guess if your desperate on a shard like Atlantic you buy whatever you can get. Show me a brittle item and the same item that's prized. Which would you pay more for? Why is that? lol All I'm saying. You can buy something at Walmart or buy it from Sears. See which one your happy with in the long run. Well Sears use to be a quality store at one time, not so positive these days. :p

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well if he wants a cold by the book answer it's called Google. However when I was returning and this was a new concept for me I paid a lot for some items I deeply regretted buying as I watched them fall apart. So a word to the wise is to be completely informed. Buy what you want but know what it is your getting.
Well i guess you better have googled upfront before spending money what this Malus means and for what they can be used.

An explanation should not contain Personal opinions.

So to all "antique is crap" guys who posted here: you better have kept your food hole closed when you cant be objective

A simple: "be carefull they wear out much faster" would have done it.

As this is what the OP asked for. Explanation and imput about these Kind of items, Facts can help him to find out if he can use these items or not. Only because you dont have a clue about them for what reason everdo not mean that the OP wants to be clueless also

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cause some people have so much ****ing gold in this game it's insane. 50 million is nothing to them to be PvP king for 2 weeks. That's my theory. My crafters don't need uber items lol I realize a lot of folks are trying to make a coin of this stuff. But I seriously wonder why anyone buys it. This is an insane Atlantic thing going on. On Legends you can buy artifacts for 25 or 50K lol. But I guess if your desperate on a shard like Atlantic you buy whatever you can get. Show me a brittle item and the same item that's prized. Which would you pay more for? Why is that? lol All I'm saying. You can buy something at Walmart or buy it from Sears. See which one your happy with in the long run. Well Sears use to be a quality store at one time, not so positive these days. :p
Well again. Its only your fault alone that if you buy stuff for too much money. That usually happens if you dont Informationen yourself first.

And your sears/walmart example is dogcake.

It makes no difference where you buy your samsung TV or whatever. It will not last longer if you paid more for it in a "quality" Store.

Fact is if you buy it at the cheapest online Shop you maybe have also other benefits as Well.

And as you said. You dont need über items. OK thats your Personal choice. Thats your right.

So why not be nice and Grant this right to the OP also and be objective so that he can decide fit bin self too. ?!

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right... artifacts also go for 25 or 50k on Atlantic as well... and some go for way more. The combination of stats that make up the item will dictate the price. The ones going for a lot of gold are going to be ones that contain the perfect combination of stats. Just because SOME artifacts go for 25 - 50k doesn't mean that is the price for ALL artifacts. Also, OP never mentioned what kind of temp he is building / using, so you can't just assume that he has no use for antique jewelry. You are just assuming he is going to play the game exactly like you would.

The walmart / sears analogy makes no sense because these types of items are different with different uses. The antique jewelry you find will not have a non-antique version, this is why more stats will be packed on it. Obviously, if you have a piece of antique gear, and you find another item with the exact same stats and it's not antique, you would go with the non-antique one. That is not the case here though, these antique artifacts will not have non-antique versions with the same amount / combination of stats.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
You guys can pander your opinions freely, loudly and openly but I'm not allowed that luxury? lol It's crap to me and you can put any topping you want on that. But the fact remains. Spin it any way you want, I'm not buying it. Your ok with 2nd rate, I'm not. How many pages you guys wanna go on for? I got nothing but time for you to continue to repeat yourself and I'll do the same.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Right... artifacts also go for 25 or 50k on Atlantic as well... and some go for way more. The combination of stats that make up the item will dictate the price. The ones going for a lot of gold are going to be ones that contain the perfect combination of stats. Just because SOME artifacts go for 25 - 50k doesn't mean that is the price for ALL artifacts. Also, OP never mentioned what kind of temp he is building / using, so you can't just assume that he has no use for antique jewelry. You are just assuming he is going to play the game exactly like you would.

The walmart / sears analogy makes no sense because these types of items are different with different uses. The antique jewelry you find will not have a non-antique version, this is why more stats will be packed on it. Obviously, if you have a piece of antique gear, and you find another item with the exact same stats and it's not antique, you would go with the non-antique one. That is not the case here though, these antique artifacts will not have non-antique versions with the same amount / combination of stats.
If your ok with having uber stats for a brief time that's fine with me. You should make any choice you want as will I. Only real point you made worth addressing.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No one is trying to convince you to buy anything. I haven't even given my opinion on it. My main has no antique gear at all, that doesn't stop me from acknowledging what it's good for. "2nd rate" is wrong, not an opinion. You really aren't understanding the point here are you ? Or you were just proven wrong and are too stubborn to admit it. Everyone else is providing facts while you are putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "it's crap! I'll do what I want!!" all while no one is even telling you that you can't. Thread over

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
LMAO. I'm not even sure what you guys are arguing over. Some people like Antique. Some people don't. The End

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
No one is trying to convince you to buy anything. I haven't even given my opinion on it. My main has no antique gear at all, that doesn't stop me from acknowledging what it's good for. "2nd rate" is wrong, not an opinion. You really aren't understanding the point here are you ? Or you were just proven wrong and are too stubborn to admit it. Everyone else is providing facts while you are putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "it's crap! I'll do what I want!!" all while no one is even telling you that you can't. Thread over
Yeah they're soooo popular people demanded filters in search so they didn't even have to look at them. They're trash. I'm just not gonna let you sucker someone who doesn't know better. I paid a heavy price when I returned and was broke and got scammed with this trash gear. I just don't want to see it happening to someone else. If you guys wanna pay for 2nd class stuff it's no concern of mine. I don't even care. Well they're great for say a crafter! lol Whatever....

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Show me a prized piece like this

..I'll pay a boat load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO. I'm not even sure what you guys are arguing over. Some people like Antique. Some people don't. The End
Just another Fel V Tram type of debate, LMAO. OP look at ALL of the info and then use your better judgement to decide, these are all opinions which people all have.