• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege Perilous would benefit from more character slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't see how 2-3 characters will ruin anything.
Probably because multiple characters is the default to you, it just seems natural. I mean... why just completely get rid of one of the few remaining elements that makes Siege different. I already covered how I feel about all these little changes to make Siege more like prodo shards, they all seem counter productive to improving the Siege experience. That different experience is the whole point of the shard, right? If you want a dozen characters... there are shards to accommodate you.

Further, what's wrong with anonymity? This is an MMO, you're not supposed to know everyone. I get that Siege regulars are a tight-knit community, but I've seen this sentiment invoked several times when discussing shard mergers and now Siege, "I like my community and I don't want to have to interact with strangers." Isn't that the point of guilds, so you can maintain a community within a larger population?
I prefer organic community rather than cordoned off little cliques. I like knowing that Kelmo won't cheat me, or that Diablo will. I like to know that when I see Bo appear I need to be ready for a fight. On and on. I like people knowing me without having to be in a guild with them. I like knowing them the same. Individual reputation is one of the better elements of siege, IMO.

For those of us that don't play Siege regularly, the economy and playerbase seems absolutely dead, we don't know who to interact with, we don't know where to buy resources or who to talk to, and frankly, there isn't much incentive to invest the time and figure it out.
Adding more character slots won't help this. It will just make it easier to not seek out other people. Not what the shard needs. The lagging population is just a result of UO subs continuous decline, nothing more.

If you think maintaining the status quo is just going to magically result in making the game more fun/active, more power to you. As far I'm concerned though, the proof is in the pudding, things need to change.
First of all, I don't know where you got the idea that I think that way. I pretty openly said that Siege has serious problems and is in need of serious changes. The difference here being you want a changes to make Siege more like prodo shards, and I want changes to undo and halt all the prodo leak over, and start making changes that are about our different and unique experience. The thing is our status quo has been being forgotten. Every publish, every content addition, every game change is designed for a ruleset that is pretty different from ours, and despite the fact that many of these changes don't really work right on Siege, we get them, basically unaltered, anyway. We need to start getting changes that aren't targeted toward making the shard more appealing to people who don't like the concept, and don't want to play here, but to people who do like the idea, and already play here. If you make the shard work correctly, and strive to protect it's unique game play, then what few new players that come will appreciate it all the more.

There will always be a larger portion of the player base that simply doesn't like open pvp, and item loss. That, is just fine, and completely valid. Right now UO is in decline so that portion is small because the whole is small. No amount of tweaks or nudges are going to make people suddenly flock to Siege. If we got 100k new players somehow, then siege would be alive and well again in turn, and the better and more unique the shard is as it's own entity the more attractive the experience would be. I think we all know that UO won't gain 100k new players, and Siege will never get even a single publish worth of dev time, so for now, to repeat...

It is what it is.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For those of us that don't play Siege regularly, the economy and playerbase seems absolutely dead, we don't know who to interact with, we don't know where to buy resources or who to talk to, and frankly, there isn't much incentive to invest the time and figure it out.
it is so simple nowadays. all you need to do is get in general chat and talk to people.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what's wrong with anonymity?
Reputation means a lot on Siege a good reputation and life is a lot easier, a bad reputation and you are going to struggle. And I am not talking in a PvP or PK sense. Unless its like the twit that Pk'd me and then decreed I would build suits for them or they would camp my house and kill me every day. LOL good luck with that. That person earned a bad reputation among the crafter population very quick and found no one would craft for them or even sell to them. Sure they could have opened a second account and got around it but eventually would have been found out. Scam someone on Siege and odds are it will be a 1 time thing because no one will trust you after that. Cheat and its not long before that gets around. For RP the alts individual character is respected as what it is RP and that toons reputation is interacted with accordingly positive or negative. The question I have in this why would someone want anonymity?

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is so simple nowadays. all you need to do is get in general chat and talk to people.
Have used gen chat.

My 5 minutes on Siege usually go, scout dungeons, scout towns, ask to buy soulstones/powerscrolls in gen chat, ask to buy pots/apples in gen chat, ask for armor repairs in gen chat. I then get no response and I then log off.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reputation means a lot on Siege a good reputation and life is a lot easier, a bad reputation and you are going to struggle. And I am not talking in a PvP or PK sense. Unless its like the twit that Pk'd me and then decreed I would build suits for them or they would camp my house and kill me every day. LOL good luck with that. That person earned a bad reputation among the crafter population very quick and found no one would craft for them or even sell to them. Sure they could have opened a second account and got around it but eventually would have been found out. Scam someone on Siege and odds are it will be a 1 time thing because no one will trust you after that. Cheat and its not long before that gets around. For RP the alts individual character is respected as what it is RP and that toons reputation is interacted with accordingly positive or negative. The question I have in this why would someone want anonymity?
"the crafter population"... of like what, 5 people? Unless folks on Siege just stick to playing in the woods and around private houses, there is absolutely no population on the shard, it's equivalent to Balhae

I don't so much 'want' anonymity, I just accept it as a natural part of playing a Massive Multiplayer Online game. If things are going well, you're not going to know everyone in the game...

Again, it sounds like you guys just don't want any new folks on your server, unless of course their playstyle entirely matches yours.

As for a pvper camping your house, I've had the exact opposite experience: me and my guildie killed a squad of VvV players, looted their suits, and were then we're cussed out and called cheaters for a solid 10 minutes before we were told that they'd tell their guild and friends to grief us and never help us...awesome experience

Seems like you can get on fine on Siege but only if you stick with masses and play how they want. Deviate or do your own thing, and you're an outcast.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have used gen chat.

My 5 minutes on Siege usually go, scout dungeons, scout towns, ask to buy soulstones/powerscrolls in gen chat, ask to buy pots/apples in gen chat, ask for armor repairs in gen chat. I then get no response and I then log off.
WOW you do a lot in 5 minutes, I must learn this trick of scouting every dungeon and town in less than five minutes and have time to GC for trade. Truly Siege God you are.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"the crafter population"... of like what, 5 people?

I don't so much 'want' anonymity, I just accept it as a natural part of playing a Massive Multiplayer Online game. If things are going well, you're not going to know everyone in the game...

Again, it sounds like you guys just don't want any new folks on your server, unless of course their playstyle entirely matches yours.

As for a pvper camping your house, I've had the exact opposite experience: me and my guildie killed a squad of VvV players, looted their suits, and were then we're cussed out and called cheaters for a solid 10 minutes before we would never get any help on Siege...awesome experience

Seems like you can get on fine on Siege but only if you stick with masses and play how they want. Deviate or do your own thing, and you're an outcast.
LOL I am about the biggest Loner there is on Siege and what masses if we believe your nonsense. I seriously doubt you were called a cheater and cussed out for 10 minutes unless you were part of the crew using the speeders and hacks. Oh wait you were nvm.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW you do a lot in 5 minutes, I must learn this trick of scouting every dungeon and town in less than five minutes and have time to GC for trade. Truly Siege God you are.
Buy a runebook, mark runes, and learn to type while scouting, pretty easy...

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seriously doubt you were called a cheater and cussed out for 10 minutes unless you were part of the crew using the speeders and hacks. Oh wait you were nvm.
Hey, look you're making baseless accusations...prove any of them. If playing a mage versus a bunch of crappy stealthers and dexxers = l33t haxx's, then yes, I hack hardcore.

I think it was more, they were salty that new folks came and participated in their sub-par pvp fights and we took their armor...and now I think I just answered my own question as to why you guys don't want to change Siege rules and encourage more people to play there.

Enjoy the status-quo...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You chose to reply to the negative responses and shunned my positive one, so I'm deleting it now with hurt feelings.....well....im deleting it at least :)

Last edited:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Martell, I´m gonna guess you are A M A D E U S or part of his crew?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey, look you're making baseless accusations...prove any of them. If playing a mage versus a bunch of crappy stealthers and dexxers = l33t haxx's, then yes, I hack hardcore.

I think it was more, they were salty that new folks came and participated in their sub-par pvp fights and we took their armor...and now I think I just answered my own question as to why you guys don't want to change Siege rules and encourage more people to play there.

Enjoy the status-quo...
More like we don't want to make Siege another prodo shard. Baseless not really, can I prove them nope can only go by what was witnessed. A couple of clowns at warp speed in everything they did.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy a runebook, mark runes, and learn to type while scouting, pretty easy...
SO you can run every dungeon and town scouting in 5 minutes and type while running........... I guess it is pretty *EASY* when you put it that way.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take some pride in your programs Marty its not like you get in trouble for cheating anymore as long as your are attended. Errr sorry replace cheating and programs with "Enhancements" Its Ok we all know you have to use them to be competitive in PvP because everyone is using them right.............. At least that is what many of the PvP guilds say in their private chats......... as they explain to new guildies that using 3rd party "Enhancements" is a requirement to be in the guild :) Sorry had to explore that with some of my prodo alts to see for myself if guilds were really requiring the use of hacks for PvP. Wish I could post the screenies of those prodo initiation chats but you know as well as I that they would be insta deleted and I would be statics chastised for posting them. And BS obviously could care less about them :)

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More like we don't want to make Siege another prodo shard. Baseless not really, can I prove them nope can only go by what was witnessed. A couple of clowns at warp speed in everything they did.
It's well established that there's a server side cap on speed. If someone is moving faster than you, they have a better connection/better computer than you do. I use WTFast to improve my ping, which is a proxy and perfectly legal for anyone to use. In addition to UOA, that's the only program I or anyone in my guild runs.

But hey, when you can't make a valid argument, just start throwing out accusations, good strategy.

ps. I forgot to mention that I also use UOC

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's well established that there's a server side cap on speed. If someone is moving faster than you, they have a better connection/better computer than you do. I use WTFast to improve my ping, which is a proxy and perfectly legal for anyone to use. In addition to UOA, that's the only program I or anyone in my guild runs.

But hey, when you can't make a valid argument, just start throwing out accusations, good strategy.

ps. I forgot to mention that I also use UOC
Cool Story.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool Story.
Certainly better than your drivel about prodo shard alts and illicit, secret guild chats where 3rd party HAX are forced onto unsuspecting pvpers.

Again, your ability to argue a point and match wits is astounding. I hope to be exactly where you are when I'm 40+ years old and playing computer games...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Certainly better than your drivel about prodo shard alts and illicit, secret guild chats where 3rd party HAX are forced onto unsuspecting pvpers.

Again, your ability to argue a point and match wits is astounding. I hope to be exactly where you are when I'm 40+ years old and playing computer games...
Every young person should aspire to be wealthy, a business owner, a CEO and Director of a organization. And have the free time available to indulge in a hobby. Sadly I doubt you will amount to more than a sniveling little puddle of entitlement but hey that is cool, everyone should have their goals in life :) I realize being a big puddle of entitlement is a major achievement for many of todays youth such as yourself :) A few diamonds in the pile of coal that give some hope for the future after the bulk your generation gets done crying about everything you deserve. The sad thing is guys like you really believe you smart and clever and anyone that is older has what you deserve. You really are that transparent :)

Now you are trying to imply that I am making this up. Little one this is a hobby for me and a diversion from trying to get little twerps like you to actually do what they are being paid to do. Why would I lie or make stuff up? You on the other hand have a obvious ego that needs constant feeding and have obvious envy issues. But again its OK because you provide mild amusement if nothing else. But hey you can be really important in a video game by any means possible. Now I am sure you will need to schedule a appointment with your therapist to build your fragile self esteem back up so don't let me take anymore of your worthless time ;)

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every young person should aspire to be wealthy, a business owner, a CEO and Director of a organization. And have the free time available to indulge in a hobby. Sadly I doubt you will amount to more than a sniveling little puddle of entitlement but hey that is cool, everyone should have their goals in life :) I realize being a big puddle of entitlement is a major achievement for many of todays youth such as yourself :) A few diamonds in the pile of coal that give some hope for the future after the bulk your generation gets done crying about everything you deserve. The sad thing is guys like you really believe you smart and clever and anyone that is older has what you deserve. You really are that transparent :)

Now you are trying to imply that I am making this up. Little one this is a hobby for me and a diversion from trying to get little twerps like you to actually do what they are being paid to do. Why would I lie or make stuff up? You on the other hand have a obvious ego that needs constant feeding and have obvious envy issues. But again its OK because you provide mild amusement if nothing else. But hey you can be really important in a video game by any means possible. Now I am sure you will need to schedule a appointment with your therapist to build your fragile self esteem back up so don't let me take anymore of your worthless time ;)
Only skimmed over your paragraphs but remember when you made fun of my grammar and education (rather than address the points I made or contribute in any way to the discussion)? Oh sweet irony.

Again, your ability to formulate arguments and engage in a dialogue is astounding.

Also, it's easy to be the CEO, a business owner, and the director of an organization when you work in a company of 1. Are you also head of sales and employee of the month?

Please, post your 401k and tax returns so I know what I should aspire to.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Tyrath. There is a point where the troll has been beat to death.

Martell has never really played Siege. I can tell.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The reason I know this... I know the folks that really love to play Siege are there. I do not need to guess, I just know. I interact with the folks here daily.

Siege will never be a prodo shard. None of us want that.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tyrath. There is a point where the troll has been beat to death.

Martell has never really played Siege. I can tell.
LOL Ok I will stop playing with him. The monster trolls in game are more fun anyway ;)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I hope that was not over the top. I just get weary of folks trying to impose rules on Siege that really do not belong.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This is a good thread about a relevant topic, but let's stick to the discussion and put some of the personal swipes aside.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a good thread about a relevant topic, but let's stick to the discussion and put some of the personal swipes aside.
Gladly but it do get old with one person in particular pointing out how bad us 40+ year old players are for the game :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, delete this thread, it's useless and run its course. One side doesn't want to discuss it, they just want to troll, stomp their feet, and say "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO CHANGES!"

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Gladly but it do get old with one person in particular pointing out how bad us 40+ year old players are for the game :)
You saying I'm bad for the game :p And I sure not agree to keep old outdated rules on Siege, that stop the community from growing. I don't fear getting a little more PvP action on Siege, I would love it, even when I'm in the 60+ year old group

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now you're just being ridiculous. :/

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, delete this thread, it's useless and run its course. One side doesn't want to discuss it, they just want to troll, stomp their feet, and say "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO CHANGES!"
How was it not discussed? What, you disagree with how some people feel, so that means it wasn't discussed? Let's discuss it. What would count as it having been discussed?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's a worthy topic that should be discussed, but I'm afraid this thread has run it's course and the OP has requested the thread be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.