• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege Perilous would benefit from more character slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe not the full seven, but two or three per account would really improve the server. It's not like half the population doesn't have a soulstone of every skill anyhow, so you can't even say "Oh no everyone would be overpowered if they could have so many skills!!!"
This has been brought up in the past many times and every time is appears to fall on deaf ears, sadly. 1 more slot would be great and I do not IMHO think that it would hurt the community as 7 slots has hurt the community on prodo shards.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But those aren't on siege so how would those help us?
The M&G may be on another shard but you are free to ask any UO related question. Do you really think that the DEVs would say that is not a shard specific question to the shard we are on so we will not even consider it?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was on a char on another shard, that I dont play, for a M&G. Ijust wanted to make a coupla proposals for bod system. when I got up there, Mesanna says "you play on Legends" ?!?! They can instantly track what account plays mostly on which shard? WTH?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was on a char on another shard, that I dont play, for a M&G. Ijust wanted to make a coupla proposals for bod system. when I got up there, Mesanna says "you play on Legends" ?!?! They can instantly track what account plays mostly on which shard? WTH?
Of course they do. This is 2016.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL.. Just shocked me...a character named A Dirty Old Man on a shard I never play, was unsettling.

If anything, I figured the char name would make em think it was Kelmo! :grin:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It has indeed been well thought out. I have discussed this ad nauseum with players that matter and players with opinions that I care for. You are none of those.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it would be great, would give me more incentive to play siege.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Admittedly I play a bit on and vacation on Siege.

Not my main shard

I like the fact you can not be totally self sufficient and need to depend on the community interaction.
That is why I said only 1 more slot as I do not think it would hurt the community with everybody having 2 chars per account.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe more char slots would give us more players and hope BS will consider giving us at least 2-3 char slots.

UO is a RP game and alot players do like to RP their chars. Some of us can afford more accounts, but not all can that. I would love to have a bard too or a thief but I hate switching skills all the time.
Yes a few may choose to have their own crafter but crafting is complicated now so I believe most rather buy what they need.

I believe it time to give up some old Siege rules.

- Allow more char slots
- Drop 3x NPC prices
- Allow Recall
- Add Fel bonus to Felucca like on other shards

I'm sure there are more stupid old Siege rules, that need to go

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gonna have to also say no. The fact that you are who you are all the time is a pretty important element to siege. Obviously you get around it with multiple accounts, but if each account had 2-3 or more characters the potential for anonymity skyrockets. I don't REALLY care about this... like I don't really care about most potential changes, as I think the damage is already done, but still, i'd rather not increase the damage if I had a choice.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Admittedly I play a bit on and vacation on Siege.

Not my main shard

I like the fact you can not be totally self sufficient and need to depend on the community interaction.
Don't tell my 40 soulstones, that they can't be totally self sufficient, it will give them a complex, and that's just on Garth. Some of us came to Siege and actually worked.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only annoyance I have with 1 toon per acct. is stats sure I can change from 125/125/10 str /dex/int Uber Noober to A Mystic/Mage but make a very poor one even with Mana Increase and LMC gear. So I put stones on that acct that don't require a lot of mana. On another acct I have 125/10/125 Str/Dex/Int and the stones for high mana use templates. The rest of the accts are like 90/90/80 for general purpose with lower int for the toons that have not ate +25 and +5 Stat. The argument everyone knows who everyone is doesn't fly. Up until yesterday no one knew *Old Uncle Perv* was me, everyone that met him just assumed it was Kelmo ;) But seriously name changes, multiple accts really make that argument invalid. A askhole is a askhole no matter what name they are wearing. Would it be nice to have a 2nd toon per account sure but at this point it really makes no difference to me one way or another. My two primary accounts got the stats and all skills covered. To someone with only 1 or 2 accounts though it would be of benefit. Myself I would just use a second toon as a walking soul stone to hold 6-7 skills.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe more char slots would give us more players and hope BS will consider giving us at least 2-3 char slots.

UO is a RP game and alot players do like to RP their chars. Some of us can afford more accounts, but not all can that. I would love to have a bard too or a thief but I hate switching skills all the time.
Yes a few may choose to have their own crafter but crafting is complicated now so I believe most rather buy what they need.

I believe it time to give up some old Siege rules.

- Allow more char slots
- Drop 3x NPC prices
- Allow Recall
- Add Fel bonus to Felucca like on other shards

I'm sure there are more stupid old Siege rules, that need to go
I don't think give them up but modify them a bit.

Allow more Character slot........ 1 more max

Drop the 3x prices........ YES but never allow selling to NPCs

Allow Recall.......... NO unless it has a 10 second delay on it same with SJ.

Add Fel Bonus........ The luck bonus sure, the resource bonus NO.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just wondering, if you really want to back to the roots, have you discussed banning / deleting soul stones? That would really make it one character per account. Of course that's not really that big a deal for those with multiple accounts anyway, is it - just have one character per account and you still have your own little army, right?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering, if you really want to back to the roots, have you discussed banning / deleting soul stones? That would really make it one character per account. Of course that's not really that big a deal for those with multiple accounts anyway, is it - just have one character per account and you still have your own little army, right?
Can't really put that cat back in the bag. Many people have dozens, which amounts to hundreds of dollars spent or many vet rewards wasted. People would get pretty mad, and rightly so. It's all just part of unintentional bleed over effects, just gotta deal with it.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There should be a poll to go along with this thread. For everyone that's all for "one character," how many of you actually only have one character on Siege (ie. you don't have several accounts with several different characters on Siege)?

For those of us that truly play with only one account (as would be the case for any new player too), the one character limit on Siege is a big knock against the shard. In fact, my guild and I have come and pvp'd on Siege several times, but we get bored within a week because we're just playing the same characters over and over again and rinse and repeating the same strategies/scenarios.

Doesn't help either that Sieige pvp consists almost solely of killing stealth archers but that's besides the point.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There should be a poll to go along with this thread. For everyone that's all for "one character," how many of you actually only have one character on Siege (ie. you don't have several accounts with several different characters on Siege)?

For those of us that truly play with only one account (as would be the case for any new player too), the one character limit on Siege is a big knock against the shard. In fact, my guild and I have come and pvp'd on Siege several times, but we get bored within a week because we're just playing the same characters over and over again and rinse and repeating the same strategies/scenarios.

Doesn't help either that Sieige pvp consists almost solely of killing stealth archers but that's besides the point.
A poll may/may not be such a great idea as Stratics does not even come close to being a majority of the UO player base, we are just a small minority.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A poll may/may not be such a great idea as Stratics does not even come close to being a majority of the UO player base, we are just a small minority.
Wellllll, there are only like 10 people playing Siege at any given time, and there are 3-5 posters here that seem to talk about Siege non stop, so it seems like we have a pretty solid representation of the Siege population...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is another "It should have never been allowed" but it was. Just counted my soul stones on Siege and there are 161 all blue or green. Most housing 100 or 120 skills. That is $1,610 worth of Soul Stones and years worth of training up skills. At the moment I can field a militia of 17 toons on Siege hardly an army........ and it crashes my comp to run that many clients. Most I can run with no performance issues is 8 and then I only do that for planting green thorns for regs.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't really put that cat back in the bag. Many people have dozens, which amounts to hundreds of dollars spent or many vet rewards wasted. People would get pretty mad, and rightly so. It's all just part of unintentional bleed over effects, just gotta deal with it.
And since that cat was let out of the bag pretty much all of us have used it :)

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thank you for your input Martell, next!
That last post was a joke...much like Siege's population is, but I digress.

Serious question though: for all of you Siege "one character" champions, how many of you truly only play one character on Siege (as in, you don't switch between multiple accounts/siege characters)?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Serious question though: for all of you Siege "one character" champions, how many of you truly only play one character on Siege (as in, you don't switch between multiple accounts/siege characters)?
Most have 2-3 accts, a few have 6-8 accts even fewer have 15-20 and very few have 25+ And pretty much everyone knows who everyone else alts are.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most have 2-3 accts, a few have 6-8 accts even fewer have 15-20 and very few have 25+ And pretty much everyone knows who everyone else alts are.
so again, it sounds like a bunch of grumpy old farts who are just against any and all change, regardless if it's for the good of the game/shard or not.

"i had to suffer so they should suffer too" mentality

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so again, it sounds like a bunch of grumpy old farts who are just against any and all change, regardless if it's for the good of the game/shard or not.

Guess you can't read since out of us 5 4 of us seem to be in favor of minor changes that would allow second toons on each account.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Wellllll, there are only like 10 people playing Siege at any given time, and there are 3-5 posters here that seem to talk about Siege non stop, so it seems like we have a pretty solid representation of the Siege population...
Except on Sundays VvV battles, EM events, public hunts, Public Auctions, where we may be 20-40 players present at same time.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have 6 accounts active at the moment. I primary play 2 of the chars, 2 of them some times a month and 2 of them are most played of a friend.
I support more char slots as not all can afford multi accounts. Yes it may give us a few more kids on Siege but I believe we can handle that :p :scholar::twak::heart:, we are lots of parents and grand parents.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Like I said, obviously many have multiple accounts, (I myself have opened a few others over the years, but have really only played one with any regularity), and soulstones, but if there are no barriers to multi characters, anonymity and self reliance explodes. It's bad enough already, multi characters would just make it exponentially worse.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I honestly don't care all that much because siege will never get the dev time it needs to fix it, but most people play siege because they want to play something different from regular shards, and every time you take a little bit away it may not seem like much, but over the years it adds up, and the shard is hardly different than prodo.

CrazyDave

Old & Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I've been logging some playing time on Siege lately and I am enjoying it. Having another character slot would just complicate things for me. I'd probably make a craftsman and stay in my house more.

Siege is different and fun and should not be made into a production type shard. Or I would just play a production shard.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but if there are no barriers to multi characters, anonymity and self reliance explodes. It's bad enough already, multi characters would just make it exponentially worse.
I really don't see how 2-3 characters will ruin anything.

Further, what's wrong with anonymity? This is an MMO, you're not supposed to know everyone. I get that Siege regulars are a tight-knit community, but I've seen this sentiment invoked several times when discussing shard mergers and now Siege, "I like my community and I don't want to have to interact with strangers." Isn't that the point of guilds, so you can maintain a community within a larger population?

For those of us that don't play Siege regularly, the economy and playerbase seems absolutely dead, we don't know who to interact with, we don't know where to buy resources or who to talk to, and frankly, there isn't much incentive to invest the time and figure it out.

If you think maintaining the status quo is just going to magically result in making the game more fun/active, more power to you. As far I'm concerned though, the proof is in the pudding, things need to change.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only play siege on one account and I'd say no to increasing the number of characters per account.

I don't really believe that having a second character would boost sieges population (player wise) by any noticeable amount but if would probably double the number of characters which isn't really the point. More harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.