• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In Game Store your thoughts

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's possible EA could make UO Fee 2 Play. If they decide they might make more money with UO becoming fee 2 play, they may decide it's worth doing. Time will tell. *shrugs*
I really don't think they will ditch the current subscription model. It's here to stay. What I'm saying is that they now have a proven industry wide micropayment model in-game which allows them to introduce F2P shards alongside the existing shards.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't think they will ditch the current subscription model. It's here to stay. What I'm saying is that they now have a proven industry wide micropayment model in-game which allows them to introduce F2P shards alongside the existing shards.
Hopefully they'd allow transfers from the current shards to such new shards. Should such new shards take off and draw in a lot of new players the mob scene lovers would want to move to them.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know how the 3rd party sites got the sovereigns, and it's the same way they get an unlimited stock of transfer tokens and every other item that UO sells for real money. It is definitely illegal, costs them absolutely nothing and is surprisingly easy to do.

It also happens to be the same reason why people sometimes get the "sorry this code has already been used" message when buying gametime codes.

I won't post the specifics of course, but essentially they are hijacking legitimate codes from the store and using them to get free items. Since the store does not realize the code has been hijacked and used, someone buys a 1 month gametime code or something, and the store unknowingly gives them the code that has already been used by the thief.

This has been going on for years, and has made certain people literally tens of thousands of dollars in real life.

Since the codes are acquired for free, the websites can easily sell them for steeply reduced prices since they are making 100% profit anyway no matter what the price is.

Nailed it Captn, if the 3rd party site sells 5000 for $1 they are already in the black. My thought has always been make the tokens and codes account bound and not transferable and they would kill the 3rd party sites overnight. Well other than the gold, vet rewards, scrolls, resources, arties, etc. Leaving only the UO store selling viable tokens and codes. Of course this would not be very popular as there is a whole ingame economy now centered around selling codes and tokens for in game gold, which I am guilty of but would love to give up if it would bring the overall game economy into some kind of balance. Even if the codes and tokens were bound to the master account so any account under the master account could use the codes/tokens. It would seriously cripple many of the 3rd party sites. On the other hand the store could really stand to bring their prices down and their Customer Service up to par with the 3rd party sites that have good reputations within the UO community.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure BS give a rats ass about what goes into the store to be honest. They were probably tasked by EA to create the in game store and they've done as asked. Job done. It's EA who are missing a trick and who should be providing what the player base wants, within reason. BS probably have no say whatsoever in what is sold.

I'm still convinced that the in game store is nothing more than a prelude to F2P. UO now has a tried and tested model working in-game for micro purchases, selling a single currency through their website.

I'm not saying that the existing shards will necessarily go F2P but creating new shards and expanding the store inventory to run a F2P model is now a very simple thing to do.
The in game store is very compatible with a F2P model that generates revenue via micro payments. Which makes the F2P possibility much stronger.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Makes no sense. Sorry.
Makes perfect sense. Things cost so much ingame to buy from vendors and it can take ages to farm gold so people buy gold and items from these websites. If they couldnt get them then they would probably give up playing thus another subscription lost.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People dont give up playing because they don't get a certain item. That's a monocausal explanation that makes no sense. Frustration may be an aspect. Lack of creativity, patience and a social playstyle.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stratics Poster OP: Who wants Ice Cream?

Stratics Poster 1: I DO!
Stratics Poster 2: I DO!
Stratics Poster 3: Me too
**continue to**
Stratics Poster 152: Sounds great!

Devs: Here is your ice cream!

Stratics Poster 1: WTH?!?!?! Only one flavor?
Statics Poster 2: I wanted Chocolate!!
Stratics Poster 3: Why is it in a paper cup??? I wanted a crystal bowl...

Ya get the idea...

:lame::lame:
Fixed your first line because no DEV asked this question.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just been looking at the pricing of sovereigns. Its even more bizarre on the UK site. The most economical way to buy 5000 is to buy 2 x 2000 and 1 x 1000. That comes to over £2 cheaper than buying the 5000 pack. The 2000 pack is by far the best value. Very strange

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Just been looking at the pricing of sovereigns. Its even more bizarre on the UK site. The most economical way to buy 5000 is to buy 2 x 2000 and 1 x 1000. That comes to over £2 cheaper than buying the 5000 pack. The 2000 pack is by far the best value. Very strange
you can also get a discount if you are a member

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Become a member for just $4.99/month and Save 10% on this purchase and more. Spend $5 to save $5, check.
Well with 30 day game codes at $11.69 (normally $12.99) and other freebies, free games to download, a preview to play the new game for so many hours before buying them, how many I wonder have purchase a game to play only to see it was BAD etc.. This way I can see if what that game is and if I choose to buy it I know I am getting my money worth, or if one of my grandkids is wanting a game, I can check to see what it is as well get an idea if it is suitble for my grandkids. I think it pretty good. I used to spend more when I went to the Movies, and the last time I was at the Movies was when the FIRST Superman movie came out ;). So that $4.99 is peace of mind. :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well with 30 day game codes at $11.69 (normally $12.99) and other freebies, free games to download, a preview to play the new game for so many hours before buying them, how many I wonder have purchase a game to play only to see it was BAD etc.. This way I can see if what that game is and if I choose to buy it I know I am getting my money worth, or if one of my grandkids is wanting a game, I can check to see what it is as well get an idea if it is suitble for my grandkids. I think it pretty good. I used to spend more when I went to the Movies, and the last time I was at the Movies was when the FIRST Superman movie came out ;). So that $4.99 is peace of mind. :)
I do 6 month game codes and UO is the only game I play and I sometimes buy a code for Xfer/Char skills or any good selling in-game token to feed my addiction for in-game gold it really does not pay me to do it. If it more than pays for itself then it is worth it but most of the times stuff like this and extended warranties rarely do pay for themselves and the seller makes a ton of money off them.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I do 6 month game codes and UO is the only game I play and I sometimes buy a code for Xfer/Char skills or any good selling in-game token to feed my addiction for in-game gold it really does not pay me to do it. If it more than pays for itself then it is worth it but most of the times stuff like this and extended warranties rarely do pay for themselves and the seller makes a ton of money off them.
I could see where buying the 6 months codes would be a bad thing. No saves there if you are a member. So I understand

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you feel its getting you other stuff and the discount is an added bonus on top then its money well spent. :thumbup1:

Alternatively you could get an extra house for less than $4.99 on the 90 day shuffle ;)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
If you feel its getting you other stuff and the discount is an added bonus on top then its money well spent. :thumbup1:

Alternatively you could get an extra house for less than $4.99 on the 90 day shuffle ;)
I have four of their games on my PC as well. Got them all over the months that I been a member, did not cost me a penny. So I am happy with it.
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, Most Wanted, Nox, Simcity