EASTER BUNNY

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
You guys are horrible...poor bunny :(

LOL but yeah I missed the event with the eggs back in 2009...there are still random easter eggs all over the place on Origin and I keep trying to pick them up!!! :)

I like the Golden Easter gooses too...gooses? Geesh...GEESE! I have 3...I love those little eggs you get from them.

I do hope they do a little something for Easter! :)

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 30, 2012
I am the Pesach Mouse and I excrete small eggs of pure coal.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Why do you all bite the gift giving hand??
Do you really want to go back to the time when all you got was a log in error and squat to point out the day?
I think you all have become too spoilt on the idea you are deserving of a gift in the first place.
There is 1 (one) Developer in the office... 1 artist (one) of 5 people who make up our BS team.
Shame on you all.
Its the thought that counts....

Happy Easter Bunnbunn hugs and candy kisses
from
Lady Storm

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 24, 2003
I hate to be a downer but it is future turn in points, Unless it is something really cool like the Valentines gift, Going to keep this years and cherish them for ever :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I hate to be a downer but it is future turn in points, Unless it is something really cool like the Valentines gift, Going to keep this years and cherish them for ever :)
I don't know they haven't updated Turn ins in a LONG time.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Why do you all bite the gift giving hand??
Do you really want to go back to the time when all you got was a log in error and squat to point out the day?
I think you all have become too spoilt on the idea you are deserving of a gift in the first place.
There is 1 (one) Developer in the office... 1 artist (one) of 5 people who make up our BS team.
Shame on you all.
Its the thought that counts....

Happy Easter Bunnbunn hugs and candy kisses
from
Lady Storm
Cause it's not a gift. It's content we pay for and we haven't gotten our monies worth in awhile. Your absolutely correct i don't deserve that painting. No one deserves *that*. I'm hoping they rethought it and just said screw it to another holiday. At least that thing won't be in the game.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I just kinda glanced through the UO Terms of Service. I did not see any promises of holiday gifts, maybe I missed it...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
I just kinda glanced through the UO Terms of Service. I did not see any promises of holiday gifts, maybe I missed it...
I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there bout a Dev team or customer support either lol Doesn't change the fact we pay for new content. We can get old content from several sources for free. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
It's like any job. You do a horrid job of something people don't ask you to do it anymore. Pretty soon we'll be begging them not to do gifts. That's their plan.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
It's interesting that Broadsword managed to find adequate resources in their company to make several quests (i.e., not hand-outs just for logging in) available to players of Dark Age of Camelot around Valentine's Day and then again around St. Patrick's Day, but couldn't manage to scrape up enough resources to help the UO dev team put together some kind of globally-available content for UO players for these two holidays:

1. DAoC's St. Patrick's Day event - Dark Age of Camelot
2. DAoC's Valentine's Day event - Dark Age of Camelot

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2004
Tyria
It's interesting that Broadsword managed to find adequate resources in their company to make several quests (i.e., not hand-outs just for logging in) available to players of Dark Age of Camelot around Valentine's Day and then again around St. Patrick's Day, but couldn't manage to scrape up enough resources to help the UO dev team put together some kind of globally-available content for UO players for these two holidays:

DaoC is a total different game. It's Rob Dentons project and he is head of BS. When UO was ran by Mythic you still had two teams (Three if you count War). One for DaoC and one for UO. Hard to fault where they put their resources into and I think the dev team for UO as small as it is, still tries and does pretty well. I don't agree with some of the things they do but that's life.

Reactions: whiterabbit

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 13, 2010
Britain
gl.uorpc.net

Because Denton doesn't give a flying frack about UO. DAoC is his baby.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
DaoC is a total different game. It's Rob Dentons project and he is head of BS. When UO was ran by Mythic you still had two teams (Three if you count War). One for DaoC and one for UO. Hard to fault where they put their resources into and I think the dev team for UO as small as it is, still tries and does pretty well. I don't agree with some of the things they do but that's life.
So the following quote from Mesanna's announcement over two years ago that Broadsword would be taking over running UO (Producer Letter – Ultima Online ) and the times since then when she's said that UO shares resources/staff with DAoC and anything else Broadsword is doing basically don't mean anything?

"Will there be changes to the Ultima Online development team?
"Yes! Broadsword’s additional investment into UO gives us the freedom to expand our resources for bigger projects, so again – the future has never looked so bright! "

I had more to say but won't bother because it's pointless.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2012
Herndon, VA

As we have mentioned several times across a variety of media, our goal is to focus on permanent content additions that foster continual play rather than one-off events that are limited in time. In holiday specific situations, like Halloween for example, our goal is to jump off previous year's content and create scenarios that can be built upon in successive years. With the release of Time of Legends and the Valley of Eodon we did not want to simply abandon that content in lieu of something new, leaving it unfinished, as has happened in the past. From a design perspective, I am committed to fleshing out the remainder of the Valley of Eodon as well as bringing players on the journey through the history of its native peoples and creatures using The Savage Empire as inspiration.

When it makes sense, we can pull in elements of RL holidays - the underlying theme of "Love" in the Valley of One quest, for example. As far as what happens between UO & DAoC, one cannot simply hop on the UO Team and start implementing content. The development process between DAoC and UO is like comparing apples to oranges, and while we do share resources between all our products these resources are exclusively on the backend, the content creators are individual to each game. The idea that somehow we were unable to "scrape up enough resources" to put together some kind of global event for Valentine's Day & St. Patrick's Day makes it sound like accomplishing that task is simple and unimaginative - I can assure you it is neither.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 17, 2009
Atlantic
you probably also didnt see promises of expansions, daily ability to log in, in game support, server stability, any content whatsoever,
As we have mentioned several times across a variety of media, our goal is to focus on permanent content additions that foster continual play rather than one-off events that are limited in time. In holiday specific situations, like Halloween for example, our goal is to jump off previous year's content and create scenarios that can be built upon in successive years. With the release of Time of Legends and the Valley of Eodon we did not want to simply abandon that content in lieu of something new, leaving it unfinished, as has happened in the past. From a design perspective, I am committed to fleshing out the remainder of the Valley of Eodon as well as bringing players on the journey through the history of its native peoples and creatures using The Savage Empire as inspiration.

When it makes sense, we can pull in elements of RL holidays - the underlying theme of "Love" in the Valley of One quest, for example. As far as what happens between UO & DAoC, one cannot simply hop on the UO Team and start implementing content. The development process between DAoC and UO is like comparing apples to oranges, and while we do share resources between all our products these resources are exclusively on the backend, the content creators are individual to each game. The idea that somehow we were unable to "scrape up enough resources" to put together some kind of global event for Valentine's Day & St. Patrick's Day makes it sound like accomplishing that task is simple and unimaginative - I can assure you it is neither.
while im not a fan of RL holidays being recognized in UO, i am a fan of temporary content. Some of the best times in UO were not permanant content. To me, a simple, fresh new item or experience is much more valueable than new content that will be there forever.

Example: the new eodon quest. It was great, but 99 percent of players are done with it and will never re-visit. if the same amount of developent time were spent on smaller, say monthly additions it would keep players much more occupied.

another example: VVV. this was failure, but can still be a simple fix. Vanity rewards that are only available for about a month would keep people playing. Anything permanent content will be abandoned by the vast majority once the items become common enough to just buy.

When it comes down to it, if UO had only permanant content i wouldnt be playing. I play for EM events, the prime example of rewarding, fresh temporary content. Global events that only last a month are great too because everyone does them, exactly for the reason that they wont be around forever.

Perma content is great, for the first week, then its flat out boring. if this is the route UO is taking its fine, but new perma content will be needed every few weeks to keep people occupied.

Last edited:

Theros Ironfeld

Visitor
Mar 21, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hi Kyronix. I just wanted to throw out my thoughts here. I've always loved UO. I started my MMO experiences with this game, and while I have left for others, I have always returned. There's something about this community that makes it special. I don't know if I can accurately explain it, but I am sure going to try.

Being a sandbox type of game, we come to interact with everyone at some level. Whether it's through running through a dungeon, decorating our homes, or some other activity. We take pride in our creations, made possible by the little things that have been given to us by the UO Developers Team. It's these little things that count the most.

This isn't the type of game where people race to clear end game content and whine about wanting more stuff. At least not to me anyway. Some of the greatest experiences I have had in UO come from the little things, like holiday events. I still have items from years ago that were given out, like the Christmas snowglobes and presents. These things are very precious to me.

If these types of things will no longer be offered in UO, I will be very disappointed and saddened. I hope that we see more of this type of stuff in the future. Even if it is just a rehash of previous events.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 13, 2010
Britain
gl.uorpc.net
Unique temporary content can always me moved to one of the vast tracts of unused areas in the world. Invasions can come and go (and SHOULD) randomly without needing some years-long story behind it.

Small, FUN holiday quests/events should come and go as well. No need for ridiculously powerful mobs either. Something like an invasion of snow/cold based mobs around Christmas would suffice with little trinkets to gather.

Reactions: MalagAste

Theros Ironfeld

Visitor
Mar 21, 2016
San Diego, CA
Unique temporary content can always me moved to one of the vast tracts of unused areas in the world. Invasions can come and go (and SHOULD) randomly without needing some years-long story behind it.

Small, FUN holiday quests/events should come and go as well. No need for ridiculously powerful mobs either. Something like an invasion of snow/cold based mobs around Christmas would suffice with little trinkets to gather.
These would be awesome, but too much work I think for an obviously small development team. Hell, I'm fine with just getting a bag when I log in with a few items that have custom text.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 13, 2010
Britain
gl.uorpc.net
These would be awesome, but too much work I think for an obviously small development team. Hell, I'm fine with just getting a bag when I log in with a few items that have custom text.
The basis for most of this already exists. Simply reuse the ToT code and put in new items (can be rehues/reames of old items) as the rewards. Dropping spawn eggs on the map is relatively simple.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2012
Herndon, VA
Hi Kyronix. I just wanted to throw out my thoughts here. I've always loved UO. I started my MMO experiences with this game, and while I have left for others, I have always returned. There's something about this community that makes it special. I don't know if I can accurately explain it, but I am sure going to try.

Being a sandbox type of game, we come to interact with everyone at some level. Whether it's through running through a dungeon, decorating our homes, or some other activity. We take pride in our creations, made possible by the little things that have been given to us by the UO Developers Team. It's these little things that count the most.

This isn't the type of game where people race to clear end game content and whine about wanting more stuff. At least not to me anyway. Some of the greatest experiences I have had in UO come from the little things, like holiday events. I still have items from years ago that were given out, like the Christmas snowglobes and presents. These things are very precious to me.

If these types of things will no longer be offered in UO, I will be very disappointed and saddened. I hope that we see more of this type of stuff in the future. Even if it is just a rehash of previous events.
Glad to see you've always come back to the best MMO there ever was. :) Don't misunderstand, those types of events will always have a place in Britannia. Holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas have been our focus recently with content and gifts (mostly because they are close together and fit nicely within a single publish).

The basis for most of this already exists. Simply reuse the ToT code and put in new items (can be rehues/reames of old items) as the rewards. Dropping spawn eggs on the map is relatively simple.
We've reused the ToT code for lots of stuff, and it's not a simple process. There's quite a bit that goes into it that makes it more than "just" a quick implementation. We don't use spawn eggs nor drop them on the map. While adding new spawns of existing creatures to the map is relatively painless, new creatures adds to the complexity.

Reactions: Tamais

Theros Ironfeld

Visitor
Mar 21, 2016
San Diego, CA
Glad to see you've always come back to the best MMO there ever was. :) Don't misunderstand, those types of events will always have a place in Britannia. Holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas have been our focus recently with content and gifts (mostly because they are close together and fit nicely within a single publish).
Thanks for that @Kyronix! That does make me feel a bit better. Some of the other people posting are correct though. It's been seen that permanent additions to the game (T2A, etc) get a lot of attention early on and then become unused. Many of us would rather see smaller events that occur throughout the year and leave us with permanent reminders of the event. For example, I remember the roses that were given out one year as a part of Valentine's Day. I still have one from a RP event on Catskills. Granted it was a player item that was given to me by that person, but even now I fondly look at that rose and remember good times during that period of time.

Please don't misunderstand me though!! I actually do appreciate the hard work that has been put into the game thus far. This last break I took lasted several years, so I have a lot to catch up on. I'm really interested in this new Valley of Eodon, but I don't know anything about it. I've got some research to do!

Reactions: Tamais