• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EASTER BUNNY

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As we have mentioned several times across a variety of media, our goal is to focus on permanent content additions that foster continual play rather than one-off events that are limited in time. In holiday specific situations, like Halloween for example, our goal is to jump off previous year's content and create scenarios that can be built upon in successive years. With the release of Time of Legends and the Valley of Eodon we did not want to simply abandon that content in lieu of something new, leaving it unfinished, as has happened in the past. From a design perspective, I am committed to fleshing out the remainder of the Valley of Eodon as well as bringing players on the journey through the history of its native peoples and creatures using The Savage Empire as inspiration.

When it makes sense, we can pull in elements of RL holidays - the underlying theme of "Love" in the Valley of One quest, for example. As far as what happens between UO & DAoC, one cannot simply hop on the UO Team and start implementing content. The development process between DAoC and UO is like comparing apples to oranges, and while we do share resources between all our products these resources are exclusively on the backend, the content creators are individual to each game. The idea that somehow we were unable to "scrape up enough resources" to put together some kind of global event for Valentine's Day & St. Patrick's Day makes it sound like accomplishing that task is simple and unimaginative - I can assure you it is neither.
HI
I have a suggestion or two about permanent quests and rewards

If you look at the trade quest and the abyss experimental room people still do those from time to time and the rewards have kept some value long after the initial hype is over because there are so many house signs to collect and some might need so many of the stalagmites when they decorate a house

So if you creat rewards for permanent quests that people might need or want many of people will enjoy the quest for a long time
These rewards should be common or somewhat rare you can still have that extremly rare reward but there have to be common rewards that people need this way it will also feel like less of a grind to go for that extremly rare reward if the common rewards are wanted and hold some value

Example for a good common reward that people would need many of is house walls with special pattern (walls with curtains) (rustic and worn down walls)

Scripting quests
If you slow down the speed of how fast you can do the quest scripters will have less of an advantage
Small breaks are welcome for people that do alot of quests by hand so should be no problem having a 10 or 15 minute cooldown on quests

Ex. The quest npc say come back XX:XX britannia time i have to think about this for awhile

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
HI
I have a suggestion or two about permanent quests and rewards

If you look at the trade quest and the abyss experimental room people still do those from time to time and the rewards have kept some value long after the initial hype is over because there are so many house signs to collect and some might need so many of the stalagmites when they decorate a house

So if you creat rewards for permanent quests that people might need or want many of people will enjoy the quest for a long time
These rewards should be common or somewhat rare you can still have that extremly rare reward but there have to be common rewards that people need this way it will also feel like less of a grind to go for that extremly rare reward if the common rewards are wanted and hold some value

Example for a good common reward that people would need many of is house walls with special pattern (walls with curtains) (rustic and worn down walls)

Scripting quests
If you slow down the speed of how fast you can do the quest scripters will have less of an advantage
Small breaks are welcome for people that do alot of quests by hand so should be no problem having a 10 or 15 minute cooldown on quests

Ex. The quest npc say come back XX:XX britannia time i have to think about this for awhile
I really enjoy the trade quests because not only do they give nice rewards... but they teach folk how to go from one town to another without just hitting recall... it's also IMO a great way for younger players to learn fighting skills as well as the lay of the land... it also has some good value rewards they can sell to make money.

I think it would be neat if there were adventures like this for Malas, Ilshenar and the Lost Lands as well as Ter Mur in the future. Ter Mur could possibly have quests designed to use the Gargoyle flight path... Each with unique rewards.

There are tons of wall pieces and other tiles in game that we don't have access to that could be given as rewards.

I'd like to see the seed quests expanded to get more of the plants we can't grow... I'd like to see Gardening added as a skill... Perhaps remove one of the skills we don't use for it...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As we have mentioned several times across a variety of media, our goal is to focus on permanent content additions that foster continual play rather than one-off events that are limited in time. In holiday specific situations, like Halloween for example, our goal is to jump off previous year's content and create scenarios that can be built upon in successive years. With the release of Time of Legends and the Valley of Eodon we did not want to simply abandon that content in lieu of something new, leaving it unfinished, as has happened in the past. From a design perspective, I am committed to fleshing out the remainder of the Valley of Eodon as well as bringing players on the journey through the history of its native peoples and creatures using The Savage Empire as inspiration.

When it makes sense, we can pull in elements of RL holidays - the underlying theme of "Love" in the Valley of One quest, for example. As far as what happens between UO & DAoC, one cannot simply hop on the UO Team and start implementing content. The development process between DAoC and UO is like comparing apples to oranges, and while we do share resources between all our products these resources are exclusively on the backend, the content creators are individual to each game. The idea that somehow we were unable to "scrape up enough resources" to put together some kind of global event for Valentine's Day & St. Patrick's Day makes it sound like accomplishing that task is simple and unimaginative - I can assure you it is neither.
Thank you for your candid answer, Kyronix. I guess I'm still hung up on on the idea that when Broadsword took over managing UO, it sure seemed like a lot of people were working hard to convince UO players that things were going to improve for the UO dev team, but the reality after two years is that the team doesn't seem to have grown at all and they desperately need to clone you for design work plus add a community manager and maybe even another GM, if some of the rumors that you moonlight as a GM (and maybe also for the EM team) are true!

In any event, I have been wondering why doesn't the dev team use the EM's to design globally-available content? We were told that the EM team helped design "The Awakening" story arc in 2012, but since then I can't recall ever hearing that they have been used again for that purpose and always wonder why that is so. It seems to me that the money spent on paying the EMs could be far better spent using them to produce global-event type content that the majority of players could access, rather than just producing content for the relatively fewer players who can log in at specific times to participate in their events.

Also, I remember Draconi saying after a town hall meeting in May 2008 that the live design team (versus the design development team) was responsible for content, bug fixes and tracking down cheaters, and live events and that they were working on trying to bring the UO timeline in line with the Ultima timeline so all the content from the Ultima series would eventually have a place in UO. Is that still a goal for UO and if yes, is there anything you can tell us about what comes next after you're finished with pulling in content from Savage Empire? If there are additional big chunks of content still to be added to UO and that is one of the priorities for our current small team, where does that leave doing things like improving the existing "new player experience" built around New Haven? Is that whole area and everything it encompasses ever going to get any love? Mesanna told us early last year that the Steam rollout was being delayed until the new player experience was revamped and that we wouldn't see anything relative to the new player experience until later in the year (i.e., late 2015). She also talked about changes happening to the account management system. Well, now we're almost four months into 2016 and Steam and new player experience revamp seem to have fallen on the wayside.

It sure would be nice to get some clarity around what's really going on with UO in terms of whether Broadsword and EA are just aiming to somehow hang on to existing players or if they have any plans at all to try to convince old players to come back and perhaps to also try to attract completely new players. It just doesn't seem like we're hearing a very consistent message from one year to the next these last two years since Broadsword took over. And when we don't see the UO team actually get any bigger and you confirm that any extra help you get is pretty limited, then it really is hard to believe that Broadsword has real plans to try to grow UO. Seems like they're giving you guys just enough resources to let the EM program continue so the rares collectors keep their accounts going all the time and everyone else sees just enough new content every three months or so to keep their accounts paid up every couple of months and take off in-between times.

Sorry for the rant. I appreciate that you take the time so often to actually read the forums and respond to us, in addition to everything else you do. Thank you.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So there we have it!. Eodon is the new substitute for Easter. You want an Easter egg? go to the turtle and get one. Oh! and let me be the first to wish you

Happy-Easter-Wallpaper-HD.jpg

I also find it interesting that UO which was originally BRITISH based is going to still have an interest in Halloween THANKSGIVING and Christmas. one of which means absolutely zilch in Britain and has lost interest in Easter which is still celebrated throughout the Christian world. This is the first time since I started that Easter has not been recognised. The sign of things to come?.

All change is not necessarily for the best.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I also find it interesting that UO which was originally BRITISH based is going to still have an interest in Halloween THANKSGIVING and Christmas.
The game has never been British based....ever.... I have no idea where you heard that. The game was created in Texas, by an American development team, and the first shards were Atlantic, Great Lakes, Lake Superior, Napa Valley, and Pacific. All American shards.

Lord British was just a nickname that Richard Garriott had as a kid that he kept using, thus named the capital city of the game after himself, not the actual country of Britain.

If you listen to the voices in the original Ultima games the majority of the characters have American accents as well.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ultima is only loosely "based" on generic British and European fantasy tropes. Richard Garriott, Ultima's creator, was born in Cambridge, but was raised in Texas...where all the Ultimas were designed/produced.

Garriott got the nickname Lord British because some crazy person thought he sounded British...he doesn't.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Garriott got the nickname Lord British because some crazy person thought he sounded British...he doesn't.
He's definitely got that Texan drawl... and when he was more active in the SCA, he'd attempt at that "lazy brit accent" used by some actors - was a hoot.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
EASTER BUNNY AND PRESSIES??
OR BEEES DAT POLICALLY INCORCET NOW?
Here's a present for you...
found it in the lower part of my basement - I wondered what smelled, so.. yeah.....

>.<

i will note, it is dark in the basement *hint* (use a dark theme to get the joke)

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't mean to suggest it was made in England per se but that it is British in essence if you will. If you have a King called Lord British whose castle is in Britain in a land known as Britannia where the peerage titles are those exclusively evolved in Great Britain one tends to associate it with the same place.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
MEEES JUST WANTS EASTER PRESSIE !!
didnt you see the little baby goblin I found in my basement? :(
I did promise you _something_ when you went gaga over my little holiday monkey.

*feels hurt now she does*

I guess will go put it back... altho it does stink up my castle's basement a bit...

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Didn't mean to suggest it was made in England per se but that it is British in essence if you will. If you have a King called Lord British whose castle is in Britain in a land known as Britannia where the peerage titles are those exclusively evolved in Great Britain one tends to associate it with the same place.
I always fingered the Lord British to be more Norman than Brit or Saxon... but then I'm just a Irish "barbarian"... who am I to judge in these things. >.<

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to see you've always come back to the best MMO there ever was. :) Don't misunderstand, those types of events will always have a place in Britannia. Holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas have been our focus recently with content and gifts (mostly because they are close together and fit nicely within a single publish).

We've reused the ToT code for lots of stuff, and it's not a simple process. There's quite a bit that goes into it that makes it more than "just" a quick implementation. We don't use spawn eggs nor drop them on the map. While adding new spawns of existing creatures to the map is relatively painless, new creatures adds to the complexity.
You do realise there is less time between St Patricks day and Easter than there is Thanksgiving and Christmas right??
You also realise you lost a lot of temp re-subs due to NOT doing gifts. People will re-sub for a month JUST to collect gifts.

Honestly, do you even have a business model at Broadsword???

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
didnt you see the little baby goblin I found in my basement? :(
I did promise you _something_ when you went gaga over my little holiday monkey.

*feels hurt now she does*

I guess will go put it back... altho it does stink up my castle's basement a bit...
NOOOS LEBES HIMZ OUT INA SUNSHINE,MEES WANTS HIMZ!! *GIBES BABY ICE CREAMS INA BOWL*

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The real question is why UO insists on using RL holidays instead of the established ingame lore holidays.

Also why is it on Stratics that a cheap gift is more important than actual game content?

Oh boy, I cant wait to login all my characters for a gift! So much better than actually having a reason to PLAY the game. /s

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do realise there is less time between St Patricks day and Easter than there is Thanksgiving and Christmas right??
You also realise you lost a lot of temp re-subs due to NOT doing gifts. People will re-sub for a month JUST to collect gifts.

Honestly, do you even have a business model at Broadsword???
Guided tours to keep bored players happy for another month is a dead end there is no future in that if you focus on every day game play then at least you try to make a future for this game

Do you think that the extra money UO make from easter gifts make any different at all for EA ? I do not
Do you know what threshold uo have to meet in order to keep running ? I do not
The way I see it is that there is at least a possibility that UO is still alive because it is the oldest online RPG and there is a dev team that want to work with it
Would not be the first time a big company kept something just because of the name even if they lost a little money on it

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I suggest you read: Lord British

British came from Earth, and sure they named some stuff after him when he became King, but that doesn't immediately turn the whole world into some mock England. (Unless he was some kind of tyrant that decides Sosaria should just become Earth 2.0) I mean, I guess you could say British brought Earth's holidays to Sosaria and systematically replaced all the existing holidays instead. I mean replacing existing holidays with your own agenda works, it worked for catholicism so I suppose the same could have happened to Sosaria.

Bless King British for replacing our uninformed peasant sosarian holiday with Easter.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lore wise, all Sosarian humans came from Earth originally. The planet had to be repopulated after Zog sterilized it with Armageddon.

British also brought a lot of Earth customs with him when he arrived. Hence why the days of names of days, months etc are the same. As far as holidays, there are only a few truly UO-unique ones which some EMs celebrate.

The winter holiday morphed from a more generic Yule-type celebration into nearly full-on Christmas though.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

On a more pleasant note THANK YOU GUYS FOR NOT TURNING ON THAT GOD AWFUL SNOW!!!!

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Maybe it was because of all the whining about the new Easter art?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes...
Gifts are just that... a gift.
Not to be expected or ordered.
Easter is a spring event, filled with chocolate! Pretty flowers.... and brightly colored eggs.
This gimmie gimmie has to stop...
While I would love more content to get different seeds for my gardening..
and a few more things for fishing and crafting..
I will forgo asking for something in a bright box that will eat up my precious lockdowns!