• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Input needed... What UO events where your favorites....

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would love to see a luna invasion since the Brit invasion was the jumping off point that caused luna to be "The place!" Lots of structure there to get destroyed and then luna house owners could show their creativity by modding their houses into ruins and still incorporate vendors :)

I love the Tok event, just like the doom drops. I think it has to do with farming and working for lesser drops to trade in for greater drops. It is still popular today!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I loved the City invasions. My only problem was I RP a pure Mage. Several of my key spells were not allowed to be cast inside the city limits. That was more than frustrating and most of the time I was just healing people who could do damage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I loved the City invasions. My only problem was I RP a pure Mage. Several of my key spells were not allowed to be cast inside the city limits. That was more than frustrating and most of the time I was just healing people who could do damage.
Now you get credit at least for that playstyle so I'm told.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You get credit like MalagAste said.

Or

You could just yell mean nasty things to them in your RP like "Get away from thee you filthy troll!"

Or

Just heal people and have that lil goblin RP pee on their leg.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
You get credit like MalagAste said.

Or

You could just yell mean nasty things to them in your RP like "Get away from thee you filthy troll!"

Or

Just heal people and have that lil goblin RP pee on their leg.
What did credit look like? I guess I could loot as I was in a party

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What did credit look like? I guess I could loot as I was in a party
No I mean in todays UO we get credit now as a healer..... so if we did one now.... your playstyle would get credit.

Back then you were just F'ed.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
GM's actually played Jou'nar not EM's.
I imagine EM's don't officially put in a ton of hours. But maybe a mix of EM events and an invasion type thing could be done on occasion. People do really like getting unique items during invasions. It wouldn't be my intent to make a big project outta it. But maybe a few invasion related items could spawn on related mobs or something. I'm just as happy with a sash or something as a souvenir. It doesn't need to be elaborate.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
No I mean in todays UO we get credit now as a healer..... so if we did one now.... your playstyle would get credit.

Back then you were just F'ed.
Ah Gotcha

I don't mind being the healer for people, but I do like to get into the fight effectively as well. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah Gotcha

I don't mind being the healer for people, but I do like to get into the fight effectively as well. :)
Oh I don't blame you... I think that's part of why they don't like to do invasions..... that and all the crying about "I logged into Brit and died and I lost all my stuff and all my gifts and my beetle and I am quitting." Which I suppose is why I ONLY keep my characters in New Haven. Town is almost never invaded and if it was it's a town for newbs... so I think I should be safe. But honestly if people don't know there is an invasion going on then well .... IMO it's their own fault for not remaining informed about the game. You can only blame ignorance if you were never informed.... blaming ignorance because your too much of an ignoramous to stay up on things is not the fault of the DEVs... It's like crying because you died at Yew Fel Gate.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Plenty of npcs in towns letting you know what's going on in the world

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Mesanna No EM events. Just do global. They are longer and gives plenty of rewards for all the players.
thats the way to go....and UO will be a lot happier place to be in....everyone gets rewarded and happy days for the event endevours

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

That's an ongoing problem too, and I also hate it. I don't see why they can't turn that not in city limits thing off when they do events intown.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Magincia (stealther) then I saw what it became. :( TOT was fun as I met many nice people during that event. Halloween that was, not how it is now.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any of the town invasions due to everyone being able to participate at whatever times they are able to log into the game.
Add to that an element of spontaneity like the randomly infected blackrock critters and you've got a winner.:thumbup:
ToT was also fun because it gave players a centralized local which drew the community together for a unified sense of purpose (the boss area).

Randomly throwing in paragonish beasties when least expected added excitement and gave the possibility of a semi-rare item drop.
Watching friends (and at times yourself) get pwned by blackrock rat mages at champ spawns was hysterical.:lol:

Having GMs play monsters is just a blast. I still remember 1998 when GMs would take control of Balrons in Hythloth and talk smack to players... lol... classic. :)

Last edited:

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Favorite:
Trinsic Invasion...even though I spent most of it lagged out :)
Next: Fall of Maginica
Next: Treasures of Tokuno
Next: Ophidian Invasion

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh now I forgot about that thank you @Acid Rain THAT was one of my favorite things of all time.... blackrock infecting things!

That should be turned on all the time.... that was the most fun... was something you could chose to do would be to carry a piece of blackrock... and go around infecting stuff. Was fun... had an element of surprise... made some things very challenging..... had collectables with the chests you could occasionally get. Was great.

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
Many years ago, there was once a pvp event where the EM added a bunch of players to a guild for the purpose of hosting a pvp tournament. The EM was promptly killed, looted and lul'd.

The prize item was taken off the corpse and the assailant recalled away. This was my favorite event.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a nutshell, @Mesanna and team: No matter what event you are planning (or events) - they should go for MONTHS, not for weeks/days and they should contain elements that offer benefit for groups as well as for solo players. The rest is irrelevant for me, if both conditions are met.

Reasons: People have jobs, kids, a RL. Some people have only 1 h a week, others have playing times when nobody else is awake. So, never make events which need ALOT of playing time and can only be done in groups. That´s just unfair for many players. The rest is up to you :)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a nutshell, @Mesanna and team: No matter what event you are planning (or events) - they should go for MONTHS, not for weeks/days and they should contain elements that offer benefit for groups as well as for solo players. The rest is irrelevant for me, if both conditions are met.

Reasons: People have jobs, kids, a RL. Some people have only 1 h a week, others have playing times when nobody else is awake. So, never make events which need ALOT of playing time and can only be done in groups. That´s just unfair for many players. The rest is up to you :)
bang on!!! events one week minumn...1 month better....like ezy says MOST people have real jobs an family ties and Uo time is at a premiuimn ...trying to make a 1 hour slot/once twice a week for a EM Event is near impossible for most folks

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I would add to this that it would be nice if the reward system was like Treasures of Tokuno, i.e., fairly plentiful minor rewards you can turn in for something better. And considering how many people have now had time to build up characters on multiple shards, it shouldn't be a problem to make the rewards shard-bound to encourage people to play on the smaller shards again.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why not drop the rule of no casting in town during a special invasion? I had the same problem at the last EM event I tried - no casting by Blackthorn bridge
Edit: I just noticed Uriah already suggested this. Oh, well, +1

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Definitely the slime dyeing event. I'd love to see it brought back and make it even more interesting. Super rare/odd colors spawning and such.
I'd forgotten about this event, definitely an amusing one! I'd bring it back annually with different colors cycling through and bring the title back as well. The NPC for this event is still in Jhelom.

I'd also bring back the giant turkey nest hunt EVERY NOVEMBER with the same rewards, maybe cycling them out for new ones or just expanding the list. The current giant turkeys, assuming you can even get one to spawn, are seriously pointless and rather boring. The nest quest was fun, what we have no just isn't.

Leeda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggested at the Meet and Greet for the 20th anniversary that if possible could the devs run events from the past as a sorta highlight reel of UO. Mesanna asked for a list of Events that we enjoyed the most. Please list Events you enjoyed and would like to possibly see again for the 20th anniversary. Thanks for your input
Treasures of Tokuno when we got dyes that had lots of charges. Also the turn in one.
-Exodus Story-Arc (incl. Sandsifting
Halloween at graveyard when we got robes & spellbooks
Candle of Light Event
One of the Halloween Event, where the costumes could be gotten (the one with the blue, red and gold tear-look-like-crystals)
I would say that I treasure my candle of love the most.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a lot of mention of invasion style events in this thread, and it brought to mind one of my all time favorite events. It was a Trinsic invasion, not the original one but one from the early days of the EM program on Napa Valley, specifically related to the Tal'Keesh arc. Both entrances to Trinsic were set up with portcullis' that could be opened and closed, and a huge undead army was brought to both gates. Defending the gate was some of the most fun I've ever had in UO. I think what was so great about that kind of event, was that there were a lot, and I mean a lot, of lower level mobs to fight against. There were still tough mobs like rotting corpses, khaldun liches, and skeletal dragons, but tons of skeletons and zombies as well, and in the days before imbuing, god suits and greater dragons fighting this many mobs could get challenging when they were all together. It can be especially bad if you have a group of spellcasters together.

Nowadays, that specific event would definitely not be as challenging with how much more powerful the average character is, but for me, the best events represent memorable moments that I experience, rather than month long content that I leisurely consume for pixel rewards.

Trinsic2.jpg Trinsic9.jpg

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think everybody has generally nailed it, that we like ongoing events where everybody can participate and will eventually get a drop - like the town invasions that preceded Blackthorn dungeon. I've never liked EM events because they are too chaotic and competitive, but these town invasions produced some great teamwork and everybody left happy.
My favorite solo event was Halloween 2008, mainly because I figured you could nail the skeletal liches in the Yew graveyard against the fence by provoking minor spawn on them, kill them with EVs without too much trouble and start racking up those conjurer's trinkets. I suppose our favorite events will always be the ones where we figured out a way to feel successful at it :)

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, the invasions, especially the event series that leurocian/draconi introduced (ophidian invasions on vesper and towns; magincia's destruction, sherry mouse, shadowlords...etc).

Still have some screenshots from those days:

UO0002.jpg SS_129.jpg SS_130.jpg SS_131.jpg SS_132.jpg UO0006.jpg UO0008.jpg

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
One thing I think about is does UO still have the population to utilize these events? If Trinsic was invaded these days there would probably only be 5 people there on most shards. Wouldn't be quite the same.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I think about is does UO still have the population to utilize these events? If Trinsic was invaded these days there would probably only be 5 people there on most shards. Wouldn't be quite the same.
A possible solution would be to run a Return to Britannia campaign for at least part of the global event's duration (perhaps the first part of it) so there would be incentive for returning people to extend their stay for at least the remainder of the global event. Also, if it was a town invasion type of global event, perhaps it could include the feature that if you log in within a city's limits, you're automatically teleported outside town limits or at the closest moongate for safety purposes (with a message displayed, of course) so no returnees find themselves logging in for the first time (possibly with a backpack full of saved possessions) in the middle of an invasion. I know a feature similar to this was used during at least one invasion.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really really hope the devs dooooooo read this..... THE players want global monthly events........read and react....make UO happier place to be

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they did a new or cycled Global event every 3 Months that would make EVERYONE very happy. Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec... or they could do Sep-Nov, Dec-Feb, Mar-May, Jun-Aug, .... This way in Dec-Feb they could do something somewhat either Xmas, NewYearish, Winter or Valentines or a combination there of, Mar-May could be spring, Easter, etc.... Jun-Aug Summer, Picnic, Festival, .... Sep-Nov, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Fall etc... They could do their publish schedule to coincide with that sort of rotation... working up themes for the 3 month season...

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Candle of Love event has always been my favourite. Anyone could do it, you could do it in your own time and when/if you succeeded you got a nice personalised reward.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To my opinion great and most beloved events should be integrated permanent in this game - and not only a couple of months ;)

What I like once - when AoS came out - the both quest for the new templates - paladin and necromancer - which was also nice quests to do and much fun. So what about thinking about making similiar quest for other professions a new player can choose? New Haven ist nice for skill gaining - but just gaining skills without seeing a sence and a fast success often gets people bored.

So - if i put so much personell energy in my gameplaying, spends my precious time here and with a grumbling husband beside me ;), i would like to have really fun with a personell success at the end - that's what's make a game ful of worth. Just my two cents :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To my opinion great and most beloved events should be integrated permanent in this game - and not only a couple of months ;)

What I like once - when AoS came out - the both quest for the new templates - paladin and necromancer - which was also nice quests to do and much fun. So what about thinking about making similiar quest for other professions a new player can choose? New Haven ist nice for skill gaining - but just gaining skills without seeing a sence and a fast success often gets people bored.

So - if i put so much personell energy in my gameplaying, spends my precious time here and with a grumbling husband beside me ;), i would like to have really fun with a personell success at the end - that's what's make a game ful of worth. Just my two cents :)
The Ninjitsu and Bushido Skills used to have wonderful starting quests..... they should be turned back on and put back in...

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they did a new or cycled Global event every 3 Months that would make EVERYONE very happy. Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec... or they could do Sep-Nov, Dec-Feb, Mar-May, Jun-Aug, .... This way in Dec-Feb they could do something somewhat either Xmas, NewYearish, Winter or Valentines or a combination there of, Mar-May could be spring, Easter, etc.... Jun-Aug Summer, Picnic, Festival, .... Sep-Nov, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Fall etc... They could do their publish schedule to coincide with that sort of rotation... working up themes for the 3 month season...
In GW1 we had a schedule of weekend events. Started every Friday and ended every Saturday night pacific time. This went on all year plus we had out major events but weekends were always regular for both PvX and PvP. You came up with a great idea. Plus it would give the developers time to do what they need to do while the community was busy playing and enjoying the event cycle.

Great Idea @MalagAste

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey lets hope the devs really do read these posts and do act.....with regard events .....and DO what the majority like best

global events that everyone can attend and have a chance of a reward!!!!

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say fel house drops. With approximate times when they drop. This can be easily incorporated into an event

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ninjitsu and Bushido Skills used to have wonderful starting quests..... they should be turned back on and put back in...
Those quests are still in the game, you just can't access them. I have a character logged out in the old tokuno starting area I never got to levelling. And since you can't get to that area anymore I sort have have him parked there permanently and refuse to leave the area lol.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More perm quest, longer running times of events like the invasions, TOT should have been perm. it was doable by those with minimal combat skills and the rewards useful and not over powered. More important there was a ongoing sense of anticipation and achievement and it was fun. I remember a lot of people asking back in the first TOT to leave it in game.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those quests are still in the game, you just can't access them. I have a character logged out in the old tokuno starting area I never got to levelling. And since you can't get to that area anymore I sort have have him parked there permanently and refuse to leave the area lol.
I had to take mine out when he got 125 items in his pack and couldn't get anymore holiday gifts. :D

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • Inu the Crone conntected events - all of them, they were just smart and glorious (all those puzzles!)
  • Rat Invasion in the Castle - pure fun
  • Slime Invasions - also too funny, just run around and dye stuff like a maniac
  • Magincia Invasion - "destroy" a town and rebuild it from scratch (like New Haven, more details please)

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  • Inu the Crone conntected events - all of them, they were just smart and glorious (all those puzzles!)
  • Rat Invasion in the Castle - pure fun
  • Slime Invasions - also too funny, just run around and dye stuff like a maniac
  • Magincia Invasion - "destroy" a town and rebuild it from scratch (like New Haven, more details please)
Sorry Medi if i disagree you in that point colored green in my quote here :) - but remember the result of destroying Old Maginicia and Old Haven - for me this were events that's broke my heart very painful till today - because two of the nicest and most beautiful cities and some more beautiful places like the meer tomb in ilshenar are in almost lost the same manner as atlantic is lost in historical times (sorry for all atlantic players - for you explanation: i mean the greek island which was sunk by volcanic erruption ;))

I'm still missing them ;)

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta say I like old haven much better than new Haven and New Magincia can't even really be called a City anymore. A bunch of mostly empty broker stalls, a bank and a tailor and smith shop in the sand. And some player houses. Hell Cove looks better and has more to do than Maginica.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gotta say I like old haven much better than new Haven and New Magincia can't even really be called a City anymore. A bunch of mostly empty broker stalls, a bank and a tailor and smith shop in the sand. And some player houses. Hell Cove looks better and has more to do than Maginica.
Magincia is horrible now... I miss the old city so much... was such a pretty city. That crap that is there now is just rotten...

They could have IMO expanded Haven to include a new area with all the new stuff without ruining what was there. I miss parts of Old Haven... I miss some of the adventures there..... I miss that really nice bridge.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I guess my favorite events have always been the ones that actually brings the community together in game and outside the game as well. The arc that had Inu The Crone in it to lead us to the Kingdom Reborn era (EC for those who were not around) had plenty of puzzle type things to solve. People would hit the forums to compare notes, give theories and work to break the latest code she was spewing. They would also scour the woods and remote areas any time she moved. At the time it seemed to bring people together by making them work together and actually communicate. Plus it was great to see Stratics jumping with activity all day and evening long with the arc as well.

Secondarily to that.. The blackrock infecting of critters... For someone who loves collecting chests and random stuff that was the best thing since the discovery of fire :)