• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Input needed... What UO events where your favorites....

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggested at the Meet and Greet for the 20th anniversary that if possible could the devs run events from the past as a sorta highlight reel of UO. Mesanna asked for a list of Events that we enjoyed the most. Please list Events you enjoyed and would like to possibly see again for the 20th anniversary. Thanks for your input

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favourite event to date, was Pre-AOS.

There was a fortress near skara[If i remember right, i was about 12-13 so i don't remember the location 100%] made and the winners were the faction with the most players inside at the end of the event. Was a huge PvP event probably back in 1999. Minax won on Europa, i was there in DDi(very core guild back then). Was a great memory of what UO was like.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggested at the Meet and Greet for the 20th anniversary that if possible could the devs run events from the past as a sorta highlight reel of UO. Mesanna asked for a list of Events that we enjoyed the most. Please list Events you enjoyed and would like to possibly see again for the 20th anniversary. Thanks for your input
Halloween events.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Hands down the Trinsic invasion. Really it was mostly EM's playing Juo'nar. That was 90% of it right there. They could do that again easily. They could toss up a few barricades and such if they wished to add some flavor. Just take them down this time when it ends :)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My favorite was the destruction of magencia. Not only for the rubble... But learning the mechanic with the light/dark demons was pretty fun.
I also liked the fact that the event was mirrored in fel, and had enough "pixel crack" appeal to bring EVERYONE there. Its been a while since I have fought in a battle that large. Trammel players all grouped up from several different guilds to smite all of us evil reds.
That was defiantly the best event yet.

The other thing that I miss that wasn't specifically an event, is carrying around blackrock, and randomly turning animal/monsters into "blackrock infected". Killing them and getting the chest was a awesome little perk. I wish they would turn that back on for a few months.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I second Giggles....LOVED being able to infect things, loved casting Armageddon and blowing myself up :) Miss hearing the voices.....IF that does get turned back on though, the boxes you get as drops sometimes might need to be changed a bit because I know there are people who collect the blackrock infected boxes and I would hate to ruin a nice little rare collection by having it come out again.

ToT was....okay....fun at first but I wouldn't like the same thing again...maybe different area with different rewards would be nice....Ter Mur or Eodon with rewards that match the areas?

Loved killing things and getting bones with my name on them..I had all of my chars bones but lost them so would love the chance to get them back!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ToT (but not the one charge dues...)
Blackrock Motherlode
Candle of Love arc (gave a reason to go to shrines)
Halloween '09 (if the sparkle locations were fixed)
Parts of the Magincia arc
The Bane Chosen arc (Minus the awful, completely messed up ending)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Good idea, however you think the devs would be heading this up...

That said both town invasions, the harbinger and grim reaper Halloween events.

CrazyDave

Old & Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I enjoyed the invasion events where we had to depend on each other to survive. However, the invaders need to be smarter and the spawns more random and not just a monster with a whole lot of hit points in a rinse and repeat predictable treadmill. I like challenge and I like to help others.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good idea, however you think the devs would be heading this up....
when I asked Mesanna about the possibility of running old events for the 20 anniv. she asked what events I most enjoyed and asked me to send a list and explanation. I just figured I would get everyone's input to get an idea of what events were most enjoyable. I was just excited that Mesanna thought I possible but no promises have been made

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I enjoyed sifting the desert sands, always liked ToT (though if they bring that back with 1 charge dyes instead of 50 charge dyes I think I'd be pissed), Very much loved the 2009 Halloween event, liked the Halloween event capturing the sparkles (though I agree with Dot the locations of the sparkle would need to be in places players can actually go (so not in despise since that dungeon was ruined) could add fire and ice.... anyway those were fun... Enjoyed some of the Magincia event liked getting the rubble hated that it destroyed the city... still think the island is a trailerpark now.

Rather liked the parts of the Magincia event that required using Spirit Speak and Exorcism and such... fun.

And I always like puzzles.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of course the entire Magincia arc was epic, and I even liked the lottery event for the plots.

But one of my all time favorites was the slime invasion. That needs to come back.

Chazztizer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hands down the Trinsic invasion. Really it was mostly EM's playing Juo'nar. That was 90% of it right there. They could do that again easily. They could toss up a few barricades and such if they wished to add some flavor. Just take them down this time when it ends :)
That was my Fav because we figured out how to blk rotts on the Walls.......So, Juo' would see you and tele from oppisite side of the screen and Mesanna whack you!!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So hard to choose. I'd say put all events in a list and run them back randomly. I'd also like to see events that were mismanaged re-run giving them the proper spotlight. For instance, the Britain invasion was completely undermined by Treasures of Tokuno which was released shortly thereafter. Everyone ignored the monsters in Britain because there were items to be had from the Treasures of Tokuno event. It looks really sad that the chief city of Britain was occupied for a month of so while the heroic adventurers of the realm were farming items in an exotic land.

My favorite, I think I'd have to go with the Bane Chosen vs Ophidian battle where players could come in and move the battle front. That mechanism I thought was fantastic and it's a mechanism I hope the Dev Team hung onto. I'd love to see them use it for other events: Myrmidex vs Eodon Savages anyone?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course the entire Magincia arc was epic, and I even liked the lottery event for the plots.

But one of my all time favorites was the slime invasion. That needs to come back.
Slime invasion? The slimes you could dye items off of? Or the blackrock slimes which were a pain to kill? Or some other slime invasion i'm forgetting about?

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Slime invasion? The slimes you could dye items off of? Or the blackrock slimes which were a pain to kill? Or some other slime invasion i'm forgetting about?

Definitely the slime dyeing event. I'd love to see it brought back and make it even more interesting. Super rare/odd colors spawning and such.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct me if im wrong here... but most of the favorites so far listed are global events?
Go figure, the global events that everyone could participate in and were up at all times were the most memorable and fun because they were inclusive. Unlike EM events.

I love stuff like the old scenarios:

Savages Vs Orcs
Solen Invasion
The corruption of Yew
Candle of Love event
Magincia Invasion

They all were available for players to do at anytime. Added permanent and lasting content, like dungeons, binding bracelets, savage kin paint, etc.

I miss these kinds of events, I understand they take more dev time to do, but they are more memorable than EM events.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE EM's and am not bashing them. But I think Global Events should be more common with EM's acting as a supplement and not the main event.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
anyone else remember/like these?
talkeesh events
blackrock infections
grim reapers Halloween was the most enjoyable. these would follow u anywhere until it was dead or u were lol.
berserkers were fun
I wouldn't like to see same drops as before, if any

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favorites: Britain Invasion (early 2005), Ophidian invasion ( Ophidian War - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia ) and War of Shadows ( War of Shadows - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia ).

I've always thought the statues in Britain showing statistics for how the invasion went on that shard and facet are really cool and that perhaps there would be more shard loyalty among players if more of the global events had been commemorated in a similar fashion.
The Brit Invasion so rocked. I loved that event. I owned that event on the Oceania shard. Used to take my pally and just get the mob on me and whirlwind them to death.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the events were the end result was the same for everyone and ...............one and all got the same reward for doing that event....Hence everyone was happy!!!! and nobody was moaning or causing mayhem... the event was is total peace and bliss... there is a lot to be said for clicky or all drop events.....makes UO a happier place to be....

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
blackrock infections
I remember them all, but Blackrock Infections added more of an "Element of Surprise" when you're hunting there's a chance as you approach a mob that it becomes infected and becomes faster/stronger sort of like paragons (but you can see paragons coming).

It was always fun when a miner pulled up a "Blackrock elemental" too... (maybe not so fun for the miner hahaha)

Imo, There should be a way to become infected with Blackrock again, and also perhaps a quest reward/item that could "cure" your blackrock infection. so you could remove it if you wanted too sometime later.

The only thing with this is maybe the Blackrock boxes should be changed to a different type, or maybe have the date recovered on the item, so that they don't ruin the market for the old boxes.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that's what i'm seeing. probably because the global events lasted more than an hour and more players could participate resulting in a memorable experience.
I would say its because the story lines were thought out, and published. They are just an em "winging it" because he had RL stuff going on. They are well thought out events that several people are involved in creating. Not to say some of the EMs havent done this... just that an entire team has to be better than one person...

Also, It has to be ten times more efficient to run these style events vs having EMs for every shard.

I dont know if its just the logical side of me, but if i was the UO staff i would listen up and start directing my efforts towards global events instead of Single EM events...

Reactions: THP

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the events were the end result was the same for everyone and ...............one and all got the same reward for doing that event....Hence everyone was happy!!!! and nobody was moaning or causing mayhem... the event was is total peace and bliss... there is a lot to be said for clicky or all drop events.....makes UO a happier place to be....
been saying this for years now...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
so you mean to tell me we really dont need the EMs? we could just do a single global event once a month and we might actually provide content that people like? Amazing...

Collusion.
I myself prefer global events. Nothing against the EMs and such ..... I just wish their events were more about the story and moving the fiction of the game along and less about items... I'd prefer if the EM stuff went back to working with RP groups and building stories and such designed to promote RP...

IF we had global events that gave drops like the old days we could go back not not having drops at EM events or making them something that is VERY rare and infrequent.... and they need to be EVERYONE drops.... and keep rares to other things like the Moonstone jewelry.... You can't call EM items really rare when there are 800,000 produced every year with all the freaking things dropping 1 or 2 every month on every shard it's getting ridiculous.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna No EM events. Just do global. They are longer and gives plenty of rewards for all the players.
I wouldn't say that, EM events are nice to have, but more Global Events would be nice of course.

The Town Invasions with Captains & Lighthouses were pretty fun too, that was a more recent one that (IMO) did very well.