• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mesanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know both Clients very well and i dont play CC anymore as its 20 yr old rubbish
And I won't play the EC has it's seven or eight year old rubbish. Third try for a new client and they still haven't beat the CC. Maybe on a fourth try ...

Some folks think automatically the newer version of things are better than the old version, even when the newer version is poorly done. Most of us are capable of comparing new to old and going with the better one, in this case, the CC.

The EC is the best of the three attempts to make a new client, sadly though, once again, they didn't pull it off, so the CC still rules. Like they did in the past, they need to just focus on the more popular client and run with it until they decide to make that fourth try.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The majority of EC haters trot out the "its not UO" line of BS, saying its not the game they love (regardless of the objective fact that all the workings of the game remain the same). They want UO to remain mid-90's sprite time warp. This is the nostalgia.

The aftermarket fix amuses me. The CC desperately needs UOA to reduce carpal tunnel aggravation and fill gaps in the outdated clunky "UI," while the EC was specifically designed to be modded by players. Reducing the comparison to apples and oranges. The full version of Pinco's (remember, the EC's default UI is a version of Pinco's) adds a lot of bells and whistles, 90% of which are convenience features and aren't needed to play.

"Pleasing graphics" is a way too subjective phrase at this point. Aside from mobiles, the EC's graphics come straight out of the CC. Sure, some of the mobiles were radically changed for no apparent reason...the hiryu and the ki-rin being a prime examples.

The problem with people clutching so tightly to the CC is the simple fact its wildly outdated and difficult to work on. It has held UO back since Third Dawn.

There is a toggle for legacy paperdolls in the EC. Though as with all the other CC assets in the EC, its been scaled up...with mixed results. The EC's native male paperdoll does need a redo, but that promise has languished since KR..

EA Japan gave someone a completely unrealistic release date that somehow the rest of EA was held to. Unfortunately, KR was poorly received due to a mix of graphical styles and an untenable UI. So the EC, which is a bizarre mix of KR and the CC was born. Most of the KR world art is still lurking in the client, but the devs won't turn it on for whatever reason.
Seems I usually strongly agree with you or strongly disagree. The CC graphics are just far superior to most of us. Every poll done here shows that time and again. It's not nostalgia. It's being able to play without throwing up in my mouth a little bit every time I launch the game. I have UOA on 2 of my accounts but never use it. Just had it from back in the day. Anything I can do with UOA I can do with a stack of quarters or just watch TV with my finger on the button, lol. First the CC will never die and the EC will never die, so what's the point? If someone really wanted to do something impressive just overlay the CC graphics over the EC client engine. Done. If someone was actually going to do anything with either client. Which is never going to happen. They would never take that risk with 60% of their player base. The EC is honestly what is probably killing the game. I downloaded it just to ID colors. Only thing I need from it. Crap was opening up all over the place for 10 minutes. Must have been like 200 pop up tips open. I couldn't even figure out how to exit the game! Which I wanted to do very quickly lol. What new player is going to go through that. I imagine most quit before they even get started.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A misquote I've often thought applies is this:
You can please some of the players all of the time
You can please most of the players some of the time
But some players you just can't please any of the time.
So true, Mesanna does a pretty nice job, but there are folks who complain if things are not done their way, Not that many though, most are satisfied with her work.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Mesanna is the caring and dedicated producer of UO who works far more hours than she ought for far less appreciation than she deserves. However, like all humans on this planet, she's not perfect and some people delight in pointing out the imperfections.
A misquote I've often thought applies is this:
You can please some of the players all of the time
You can please most of the players some of the time
But some players you just can't please any of the time.
It must be nice to find yourself in the category of "You can please some of the players all of the time.". What a grand place that must be. Honestly this is why I find it difficult to buy into a lot of things you post about. I can skip over your posts cause I know what your going to say. The actual quote is "You can't please all the people all of the time" ― John Lydgate for a reason, it makes sense. I like people being optimistic about UO and cheering them on if it's done in a realistic fashion. We're yin and yang I suppose. You tend to be positive and I tend to post about the negative. But I'm not *always* negative. lol You might be wondering how you got on my radar suddenly lol. I just found your perversion of the original saying a bit of nonsense. I respect your dedication and knowledge of the game. I honestly feel it's probably second to none. But when you play this game and never see one negative aspect to it, I find that unrealistic to say the least. You could probably phrase criticism about the game as well as anyone and we could use your support making UO a better place. But to say "But some players you just can't please any of the time." is just insulting. If a person can't find a flaw in this game it really just blows my mind.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the disdain directed at Bonnie is well founded for the most part and well deserved. When glaring mistakes are made, mistakes that should obviously caught in testing, someone has to be responsible.
Doesnt mean she isnt a nice person ( maybe she is, maybe she isnt)
Doesnt mean she cooks puppy's to make stew,...

But when you are professional trying your best isnt enough....you are paid for results.

My favourite recent sport quote..."this isnt the try league,...this is the get it done league"

Bonnie isnt, getting it done, She is coasting....
Her comments to players are often abrupt and somewhat rude.
Her teams work get published without being thoroughly tested and checked.
Work that is being published lacks completeness and originality.

Coming from a business management background I would suggest the team needs to be shaken up and needs some fresh blood.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I predicted this thread heading south! *points up to the original posts*. Sure it was an easy prediction. But I made it! lol

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to read the boards for a minute or so. I do not like logging in, I am lazy. Then I saw what Twolf wrote.

Dude, so, so, so and so uncalled for with that puppy remark. You buried valid points in that post. :(

This has gone too far, from the sugary omg she is awesome, to yours.

I say this to all, myself most of all. Either play or do not play.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just wait till the "bunny painting" hits the shards, if they got the guts to release it lol
I think they will and I hope they brought their flame suits.

Mesanna, the artist, and the QA guy need the boot.

Some people are good with the trail of pixel crack she has strung along her tenure, but along the same trail is a slew of broken game mechanics.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It must be nice to find yourself in the category of "You can please some of the players all of the time.". What a grand place that must be. Honestly this is why I find it difficult to buy into a lot of things you post about. I can skip over your posts cause I know what your going to say. The actual quote is "You can't please all the people all of the time" ― John Lydgate for a reason, it makes sense. I like people being optimistic about UO and cheering them on if it's done in a realistic fashion. We're yin and yang I suppose. You tend to be positive and I tend to post about the negative. But I'm not *always* negative. lol You might be wondering how you got on my radar suddenly lol. I just found your perversion of the original saying a bit of nonsense. I respect your dedication and knowledge of the game. I honestly feel it's probably second to none. But when you play this game and never see one negative aspect to it, I find that unrealistic to say the least. You could probably phrase criticism about the game as well as anyone and we could use your support making UO a better place. But to say "But some players you just can't please any of the time." is just insulting. If a person can't find a flaw in this game it really just blows my mind.
Actually the quote I admittedly badly screwed up is from Abraham Lincoln Abraham Lincoln Quotes at BrainyQuote.com. I didn't say everything in the game is perfect, there are some things I don't like - but I realise the game isn't designed to my personal specification and things I don't like some other people do. I can find plenty of activities in the game that I do like, so I simply don't do the bits I don't find enjoyable - pvp being the most obvious thing I avoid. The game isn't perfect, the people creating it and the people playing it aren't perfect - neither am I. I enjoy playing it, that's enough for me. I've seen the 'bunny painting', I don't particularly like it, but some people will. Why should they be denied it because I don't like it?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Pleasing graphics" is a way too subjective phrase at this point. Aside from mobiles, the EC's graphics come straight out of the CC. Sure, some of the mobiles were radically changed for no apparent reason...the hiryu and the ki-rin being a prime examples.
Mobiles and floor tiles, and paperdoll art, AND the cc graphics seems distorted. The blaring mishmash of art causes a real incongruity in style (the cc walls clash dramatically with the KR floors) which to me is extremely off putting. I actually like a lot of the monster art, but the avatar and paperdoll art is terrible, and the perspectives used are very inconsistent.

Pleasing graphics are obviously subjective, but the mashing together of two separate sets of art assets with 15 or so years of time between them (which is quite clear in pallet depth and resolution) wasn't even an aesthetic choice, it was a utilitarian one, and in my opinion It simply looks amateurish, and quite off putting.

The problem with people clutching so tightly to the CC is the simple fact its wildly outdated and difficult to work on. It has held UO back since Third Dawn.
It's not the CC holding the game back... it's the sub par clients that have been developed to replace it. 3d was hideous. KR was -OK-, like I said I think a lot of the monsters looked awesome, I honestly think if they would have just done another art pass mostly on items, and to take the shine off of almost literally every monster, be more consistent with perspective, replace some bad models (hiryu, dragon, character avatar... looking at you) implement a more nuanced coloring system than paint-bucket, and it probably would have looked fine. EC is just flat out unapologetic mess.

o the EC, which is a bizarre mix of KR and the CC was born.
Even you admit that EC is a mess.

I admit I like the CC for nostalgic reasons, but that's not why I play it. I play it because it maintains a cohesive and inviting feel. I would happily play the EC if it looked good, and had a good feel but It doesn't, and with the game as it is, it never will. I am personally all for shutting down the CC if the game could sustain it, because it just works better and is easier to update.

The simple fact remains that form is just as important to many people as function, and to me, as one of those people it's more about a cohesive look than a "modern" one. When look at the screen and see like... up to 4 or 5 different art styles (CC, KR, SA, SE, Modern art additions) it just ruins the feel of the world for me. In the CC I can limit that clash at very least in my own personal space by not using any of the newer and less fitting art, in EC I cannot avoid the floor tiles, which are really a terrible backdrop for CC wall sets and item art. I really don't think people requiring a cohesive look to enjoy a game is all that crazy, that's why pretty much all games try to have a purposeful and directed overall aesthetic to give the experience a unique and specific feel. EC doesn't have that, and it's honestly not that much to expect.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they will and I hope they brought their flame suits.

Mesanna, the artist, and the QA guy need the boot.

Some people are good with the trail of pixel crack she has strung along her tenure, but along the same trail is a slew of broken game mechanics.
I think the art guy just needs better direction. He's clearly a talented artist, he's just not making art that fits the game, and honestly the art direction since SA has been trending down IMO. I honestly don't know how they go about art direction with a one man art department. I don't know if he get's direction from Messana, or just is at his own discretion. Either way I really can't believe that items are being tested out in context with the assets that make up the game art, because they simply don't fit, and it's not hard to see or to see why in most cases.

Then again we have gotten word that the circular perspective in the opinion of the dev team "looks the best" which frankly is absurd for reason that have been pointed out 1000 times (not to mention the simple fact that pretty much no one likes it), so I don't know... :confused2:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Actually the quote I admittedly badly screwed up is from Abraham Lincoln Abraham Lincoln Quotes at BrainyQuote.com. I didn't say everything in the game is perfect, there are some things I don't like - but I realise the game isn't designed to my personal specification and things I don't like some other people do. I can find plenty of activities in the game that I do like, so I simply don't do the bits I don't find enjoyable - pvp being the most obvious thing I avoid. The game isn't perfect, the people creating it and the people playing it aren't perfect - neither am I. I enjoy playing it, that's enough for me. I've seen the 'bunny painting', I don't particularly like it, but some people will. Why should they be denied it because I don't like it?
Fair enough. BTW shows what happens when one trusts Google. I was a little surprised by the John Lydgate reference myself. I should have known better, but but but it was on Google! lol Funny thing is there doesn't seem to be any proof Abraham Lincoln actually said it either. Unproven Quotations Attributed to Abraham Lincoln... rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln56.html

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I think the art guy just needs better direction. He's clearly a talented artist, he's just not making art that fits the game, and honestly the art direction since SA has been trending down IMO. I honestly don't know how they go about art direction with a one man art department. I don't know if he get's direction from Messana, or just is at his own discretion. Either way I really can't believe that items are being tested out in context with the assets that make up the game art, because they simply don't fit, and it's not hard to see or to see why in most cases.

Then again we have gotten word that the circular perspective in the opinion of the dev team "looks the best" which frankly is absurd for reason that have been pointed out 1000 times (not to mention the simple fact that pretty much no one likes it), so I don't know... :confused2:
It seems unlikely to me in a little place like Broadsword that Mesanna doesn't approve the art that is released. Maybe she is just too nice and doesn't want to tell someone their art looks like crap lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mobiles and floor tiles, and paperdoll art, AND the cc graphics seems distorted. The blaring mishmash of art causes a real incongruity in style (the cc walls clash dramatically with the KR floors) which to me is extremely off putting. I actually like a lot of the monster art, but the avatar and paperdoll art is terrible, and the perspectives used are very inconsistent.

Pleasing graphics are obviously subjective, but the mashing together of two separate sets of art assets with 15 or so years of time between them (which is quite clear in pallet depth and resolution) wasn't even an aesthetic choice, it was a utilitarian one, and in my opinion It simply looks amateurish, and quite off putting.

It's not the CC holding the game back... it's the sub par clients that have been developed to replace it. 3d was hideous. KR was -OK-, like I said I think a lot of the monsters looked awesome, I honestly think if they would have just done another art pass mostly on items, and to take the shine off of almost literally every monster, be more consistent with perspective, replace some bad models (hiryu, dragon, character avatar... looking at you) implement a more nuanced coloring system than paint-bucket, and it probably would have looked fine. EC is just flat out unapologetic mess.

Even you admit that EC is a mess.

I admit I like the CC for nostalgic reasons, but that's not why I play it. I play it because it maintains a cohesive and inviting feel. I would happily play the EC if it looked good, and had a good feel but It doesn't, and with the game as it is, it never will. I am personally all for shutting down the CC if the game could sustain it, because it just works better and is easier to update.

The simple fact remains that form is just as important to many people as function, and to me, as one of those people it's more about a cohesive look than a "modern" one. When look at the screen and see like... up to 4 or 5 desperate art styles (CC, KR, SA, SE, Modern art additions) it just ruins the feel of the world for me. In the CC I can limit that clash at very least in my own personal space by not using any of the newer and less fitting art, in EC I cannot avoid the floor tiles, which are really a terrible backdrop for CC wall sets and item art. I really don't think people requiring a cohesive look to enjoy a game is all that crazy, that's why pretty much all games try to have a purposeful and directed overall aesthetic to give the experience a unique and specific feel. EC doesn't have that, and it's honestly not that much to expect.
I hate to break it to you and everyone else who touts the CC graphic and "mishmash of art" and such you all keep bellering about but the entire game is a MishMash of art.... Each artist has done his best to piecemeal their styles into the game. Remember Cathat and those hideous cat statues? There are tons of horribly wrong looking things in the game.... from the Silver saplings that float half a tile above the tile and aren't anywhere NEAR the right perspective to those god awful squarish cakes we got for the 12 anniversary... the new tiles while the sand and red type stone looks about like things and sort of goes ok with the game the gray stuff is HORRIBLE..... that new flowered dress is an eyesore... I could go on and on and I don't give a damn what client you are in they look HORRIBLE.

From junk that is 10X too LARGE to crap that is just plain ridiculous... the one thing I've always been GLAD about with UO and is one of the things I adore about UO and HATE about 90% of the other games on the market is at least our weapons and shields are properly scaled. I LOATHE games where your damn sword is almost larger than your character...

And you talk about mishmash of art styles? Honey they are everywhere in UO.... Everytime we get new artists..... we get a mishmash.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I hate to break it to you and everyone else who touts the CC graphic and "mishmash of art" and such you all keep bellering about but the entire game is a MishMash of art.... Each artist has done his best to piecemeal their styles into the game. Remember Cathat and those hideous cat statues? There are tons of horribly wrong looking things in the game.... from the Silver saplings that float half a tile above the tile and aren't anywhere NEAR the right perspective to those god awful squarish cakes we got for the 12 anniversary... the new tiles while the sand and red type stone looks about like things and sort of goes ok with the game the gray stuff is HORRIBLE..... that new flowered dress is an eyesore... I could go on and on and I don't give a damn what client you are in they look HORRIBLE.

From junk that is 10X too LARGE to crap that is just plain ridiculous... the one thing I've always been GLAD about with UO and is one of the things I adore about UO and HATE about 90% of the other games on the market is at least our weapons and shields are properly scaled. I LOATHE games where your damn sword is almost larger than your character...

And you talk about mishmash of art styles? Honey they are everywhere in UO.... Everytime we get new artists..... we get a mishmash.
What? You don't like a 5 foot tall coffee pot? lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Darling, I know, and if you read my post, you'll see that I said the very same. I also said that only in the CC can I limit the art clashing because I have my own area, and I can visit areas that look nice while in the EC the floor wall clash is unavoidable. Also not all of the art added post the original artist was bad or ill fitting. Lot's of it fits fine.

As for scaling of items like in wow, I agree, I don't like the over the top cartoonish look either. Especially when the swords and stuff are so exaggerated they don't even look like weapons any more.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems unlikely to me in a little place like Broadsword that Mesanna doesn't approve the art that is released. Maybe she is just too nice and doesn't want to tell someone their art looks like crap lol.
I mean I'm sure she approves everything, but perhaps not being an artist herself she just leaves the look up to whoever is. *shrug* who knows.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Darling, I know, and if you read my post, you'll see that I said the very same. I also said that only in the CC can I limit the art clashing because I have my own area, and I can visit areas that look nice. Also not all of the art added post the original artist was bad or ill fitting. Lot's of it fits fine.

As for scaling of items like in wow, I agree, I don't like the over the top cartoonish look either. Especially when the swords and stuff are so exaggerated they don't even look like weapons any more.
I do still think the marble bars are awesome and dead on. So they have done some nice work recently. Referring to gifts, not getting into ToL stuff ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do still think the marble bars are awesome and dead on. So they have done some nice work recently. Referring to gifts, not getting into ToL stuff ;)
Yeah the bar's were not bad. There's something a little off about them similarly off in the new tileset walls, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Too manufactured looking maybe? Though all and all they look fine. I would probably use them if I had a design they would fit in. Like I said, it's not all out of place, just a lot of it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
They recolor and rename stuff for EM drops all the time. They churn out a ton of different stuff. A lot of that stuff looks great and really does take on a life of it's own. Not sure why they don't do more of that with holiday gifts. Maybe something new with a nice jazzed up old item with a new hue and name. Like the Easter bunnies they gave out with the town names on them would be really cute, maybe in pink or something with a new name. Naturally I probably wouldn't display a pink Easter bunny ;) but it would be cute and look good I imagine. I wish they would consider doing more of that type of thing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah the bar's were not bad. There's something a little off about them similarly off in the new tileset walls, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Too manufactured looking maybe? Though all and all they look fine. I would probably use them if I had a design they would fit in. Like I said, it's not all out of place, just a lot of it.
Yeah have running water with faucets and all in a medieval castle might not quite fit. But I can live with it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They recolor and rename stuff for EM drops all the time. They churn out a ton of different stuff. A lot of that stuff looks great and really does take on a life of it's own. Not sure why they don't do more of that with holiday gifts. Maybe something new with a nice jazzed up old item with a new hue and name. Like the Easter bunnies they gave out with the town names on them would be really cute, maybe in pink or something with a new name. Naturally I probably wouldn't display a pink Easter bunny ;) but it would be cute and look good I imagine. I wish they would consider doing more of that type of thing.
I'm more confused why the dozens and dozens of items people have no access too (plants and other "natural" items like rocks, logs, etc, in particular) aren't added in game, if not for gifts then vias regular systems.

Also... when can I have my damn trees? Just regular trees that you see in the woods? I want them so badly!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm more confused why the dozens and dozens of items people have no access too (plants and other "natural" items like rocks, logs, etc, in particular) aren't added in game, if not for gifts then vias regular systems.

Also... when can I have my damn trees? Just regular trees that you see in the woods? I want them so badly!
I want tiny little frogs for my pond ;)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not adverse to trying new things. I play modern MMOs, I play modern games, but UO needs to remain UO.

I was an early beta tester for Third Dawn, the first attempt at "replacing" the client. It was an utter trainwreck, if amusing at times (Especially some of the bugs). Then I drove all the way from Indiana, PA to Bethesda, MD for the Town Hall when they were showing off Kingdom Reborn, which was then in beta, and was happy to receive a beta key for my effort.

Yet again, another failed attempt to replace what worked with something at least a dozen steps below it.

Now there's the "Enhanced Client," which I've only tried a few times for a few hours at a time, every now and then, just to see if it's gotten better with their latest attempt. It hasn't.

If Ultima Online 2 had happened, and there were developer resources to maintain both, I'm sure I'd have an account in both. It was a fun could-have-been. (Which, coincidentally, ArcheAge is handling quite well as a "Hey we've got what they were planning - overland housing, levels but skills being raised with use, etc.) Then they shoehorned assets into the UO client... and that was a detraction from it.

I've been playing UO since the turn of the century. It was the MMO I wanted then, and it's still the MMO I want today, but these new attempts to "modernize" it are doing nothing but wasting time and resources. The marketplace is expanding for MMOs, there's a new dozen every few months. Yeah, we're going to lose players to the new shiny thing, but how often do we see them coming right back? Regularly, just on Stratics.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still dont understand why they dont incorporate the best of both into one. Of course, they say they cant program the cc, so it would have to be the ec changing. Why cant the EC have the cc paperdoll? without all the myriad slots all around it, why does the paperdoll have to be so much bigger than cc? Why can't the items in the backpack be same size as they are in the cc pack? Sure we can resize the pack...not everyone likes having half their screen covered up with a backpack, when they know it can be done better. Quit worrying about trying to add some of the EC benefits into the CC...start adding the good points of the CC into the EC, you know, the look, the feel, etc.

I tried it early on, you know, when you were doing **** that should enver have been released...sitting sideways on the head of my ossie, when I take off running I run sideways (that still happens, btw) some of the art was awful. BS/Mythic/EA has no one but themselves to blame for the EC not taking off and gaining more supporters, for most of us the first impression sucked so badly we can never use it as our major client.

Same as eating out, if some restaurant serves you crap a couple of times, you just aren't going back. Improve the EC!!! and do it by incorporating the CC into it...

And yall quit calling us Luddites...we are realists :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My problem with the marble bars is they are too tall and need to be shorter... I will say this though... Unlike a BUNCH of stuff of late they do fit perfectly in the tile. Nothing annoys me more than to have stuff not squared on the tiles. The Kings collection tables come to mind. Won't use any of them because the aren't centered to the tiles so either your chair is practically inside the table or it's so freaking FAR AWAY that your character would never be able to REACH the table from the chair.

Ariel Hardy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The big point is:

Why they lose time trying making new "modern clients" (KR, EC), why don`t t ths effort to make a NEW Classic Client?

Make a new client, but in place of new graphics, 2.5dish, make a new CC client, with UI customization, zoom, high res.

Thats all we want, we don`t want Cool purple graphics, we want the old graphics, but with more resources, and res.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is one thing to screw up. That we can all understand.

It is quite another to screw up, put a crappy bandage on it, say it was intentional all along, then say they arent going to actually fix it and refuse to admit it is wrong.

1. Idocs
2. Runebooks
3. VvV/factions
4. EM drops
5. Advisor corruption
6. Account Management page
7. UO.com
8. EMs still not posting to calendar
9. Grass and Snow tiles
10. Eodon
11. any and all recent art work
12. Non vendorable

They may be putting in tons of hours and trying their asses off... but it isnt doing any good.
While I will always admire their dedication, they are quite simply getting their asses handed to them.

The teams legacy will be Vendor search. To me this is the biggest positive the team has done, and im pretty sure the free shards did it first...
Other Big positive is the new Gold system.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Yes some of the art is a hodgepodge...but you've got lots of choices for home deco, wearable items, and mounts and we all like different things. Choice is a great thing! I wish we had more choices in how things look, for example I hate wearing robes, and half aprons and would rather wear a dress but I am FORCED to wear these things or go without valuable stats. To get a dress with nice stats, well there's always the Blackthorne dungeon grind just to get a choice...

Britannia has been the Kingdom of mandatory man mumus, far too long!

Now for years I have wanted a genuinely ladylike dress to come out and provide an alternative to the fancy dress...If only I could have told my 1997 self...yeah UO will finally have an evening gown one day, about the same time they unleash giant turtles on Britannia some 18 years from now. Yes, that's right...giant turtles and you will have to kill billions of the things to get the recipe for the new dress...which won't have any good stats on it. Get used to those death robes!

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My problem with the marble bars is they are too tall and need to be shorter... I will say this though... Unlike a BUNCH of stuff of late they do fit perfectly in the tile. Nothing annoys me more than to have stuff not squared on the tiles. The Kings collection tables come to mind. Won't use any of them because the aren't centered to the tiles so either your chair is practically inside the table or it's so freaking FAR AWAY that your character would never be able to REACH the table from the chair.
The one that gets me is the Mesanna named pumpkins, that style of pumpkin, the older ones. They're like half a tile off.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

It is quite another to screw up, put a crappy bandage on it, say it was intentional all along, then say they arent going to actually fix it and refuse to admit it is wrong.

1. Idocs
2. Runebooks
3. VvV/factions
4. EM drops
5. Advisor corruption
7. UO.com
9. Grass and Snow tiles
10. Eodon
12. Non vendorable

They may be putting in tons of hours and trying their asses off... but it isnt doing any good.
While I will always admire their dedication, they are quite simply getting their asses handed to them.

The teams legacy will be Vendor search. To me this is the biggest positive the team has done, and im pretty sure the free shards did it first...
This. 1000x this.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The size of the studio is a direct representation of what's left of their audience. I'm reading many, many posts in this thread that are probably steeped in denial about that; especially those asking for a new client or new producer or other staff. So you want to "shake up" the current UO nursing home staff with a team of top surgeons, so they can give decrepit old UO a facelift to try to attract a younger audience, eh? Okay, well, who's going to pay for it? Assuming there's any point in "shaking up" a twenty year-old game in the first place (what a lovely universe some of you must live in), which top surgeon wants to give up their career ambitions to work in a nursing home taking care of UO? I see some people here talking about their business management experience, so I really have to scratch my head at multiple suggestions that no AAA publisher would ever entertain.

Don't get me wrong; I see a lot of suggestions here that I could get behind--about ten years ago. But I'm glad that I spend more time simply enjoying the game now, warts and wrinkles and all. Maybe I just have a case of realistic-itis; but it would take more subscriptions (a lot more) to pay for any big improvements, and practically the whole world has moved on. Almost any mention of UO by the contemporary gaming press (and gamers alike) is phrased in the past-tense; it's been that way for several years now, in case anyone here has been living under a rock or inside a reality bubble. UO brought a whole industry into the mainstream, but that was a long time ago. It did some things right, but it is largely up to other MMOs and franchises now to improve upon its mistakes. It's great that some of us are still sitting by old UO's bedside in 2016, but that's about all that can be done for it at this point. I don't mean to be negative, in fact I hope some happy gaming might follow a dose of reality for some people reading this. For most of us, our worst regrets aren't things we did, but things we did less or never got around to. Maybe I'm missing the point by applying that stock phrase to a video game, but I'm pretty certain I won't regret UO half as much as some of you will regret your post counts LOL.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

1. Idocs
2. Runebooks
3. VvV/factions
4. EM drops
5. Advisor corruption
7. UO.com
9. Grass and Snow tiles
10. Eodon
12. Non vendorable

I gotta say you make some very valid points. But you almost jumped the shark with grass and snow tiles ;)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The size of the studio is a direct representation of what's left of their audience. I'm reading many, many posts in this thread that are probably steeped in denial about that; especially those asking for a new client or new producer or other staff. So you want to "shake up" the current UO nursing home staff with a team of top surgeons, so they can give decrepit old UO a facelift to try to attract a younger audience, eh? Okay, well, who's going to pay for it? Assuming there's any point in "shaking up" a twenty year-old game in the first place (what a lovely universe some of you must live in), which top surgeon wants to give up their career ambitions to work in a nursing home taking care of UO? I see some people here talking about their business management experience, so I really have to scratch my head at multiple suggestions that no AAA publisher would ever entertain.

Don't get me wrong; I see a lot of suggestions here that I could get behind--about ten years ago. But I'm glad that I spend more time simply enjoying the game now, warts and wrinkles and all. Maybe I just have a case of realistic-itis; but it would take more subscriptions (a lot more) to pay for any big improvements, and practically the whole world has moved on. Almost any mention of UO by the contemporary gaming press (and gamers alike) is phrased in the past-tense; it's been that way for several years now, in case anyone here has been living under a rock or inside a reality bubble. UO brought a whole industry into the mainstream, but that was a long time ago. It did some things right, but it is largely up to other MMOs and franchises now to improve upon its mistakes. It's great that some of us are still sitting by old UO's bedside in 2016, but that's about all that can be done for it at this point. I don't mean to be negative, in fact I hope some happy gaming might follow a dose of reality for some people reading this. For most of us, our worst regrets aren't things we did, but things we did less or never got around to. Maybe I'm missing the point by applying that stock phrase to a video game, but I'm pretty certain I won't regret UO half as much as some of you will regret your post counts LOL.
I actually dont want them to shake anything... But rather just leave it alone. :) Almost everything they touch breaks. :)

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The OP's question was answered in the second post. Captn Norrington got thanked for answering on post #3. The thread wasn't a call for criticism and the OP expressed his regret on post #16.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1. Idocs
2. Runebooks
3. VvV/factions
4. EM drops
5. Advisor corruption
7. UO.com
9. Grass and Snow tiles
10. Eodon
12. Non vendorable

Their legacy is vendor search???? A freeshard did do it first. But remember Freeshards dont create anything new...they just steal from broadsword.

Dont forget the launch of a new expansion....a whole new land with new creatures....oh wait...the dragon turtle isnt really new is it. A 10Year old greater dragon painted up to look different. But with a spawning system that makes it a total failure to replace GDs.

When is enough....paying customers shouldnt have to quit to get some changes made.....we just need fresh blood. People that arent burnt out...people who want more then just a pay check.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Their legacy is vendor search???? A freeshard did do it first. But remember Freeshards dont create anything new...they just steal from broadsword.

Dont forget the launch of a new expansion....a whole new land with new creatures....oh wait...the dragon turtle isnt really new is it. A 10Year old greater dragon painted up to look different. But with a spawning system that makes it a total failure to replace GDs.

When is enough....paying customers shouldnt have to quit to get some changes made.....we just need fresh blood. People that arent burnt out...people who want more then just a pay check.
You seem to be frustrated. Maybe you should try finding some hobby that makes you happy and reliefs you. That would help us all: Less complaints and a better atmosphere...

Sometimes it would help to switch roles and to try managing a complex problem with low funds and a small staff - and unthankful crybabies as customers... I would not like that job. No thanks! Glad, somebody else does the dirty work for me and keeps my hobby running. Which is my hobby and not the meaning of my life.

There are 1 mio other hobbies, go try something else that makes you happier. My simple advice as a psychologist. Believe me, it works. Heals your soul and the souls around you. Frustation is no state you should tolerate more than some months.

Best wishes ;-)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would require a ton of resources, that's all.
That´s the kind of mature answer everybody with a clear mind would give. TONS of resources = BIG outcomes. ALMOST NO resources = TRY THE BEST... Here we are.

@Crybabies: Grow up and be realisitc. Or give your dollars and buy the game. You will make it better? Show me. I do not believe you! ;-)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That´s the kind of mature answer everybody with a clear mind would give. TONS of resources = BIG outcomes. ALMOST NO resources = TRY THE BEST... Here we are.

@Crybabies: Grow up and be realisitc. Or give your dollars and buy the game. You will make it better? Show me. I do not believe you! ;-)
I think people need to accept that with a game this old the effort/cost to worth ratio is often going to lean toward the "not gonna happen" side. It could be better, but it could be worse. Generally it's a bit of a shock the game is still around at all, so enjoy as much as you can, I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.