• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player Questions

Glowyrm

Visitor
Hello folks! I have been considering playing UO and I have a few questions:

- Is it too late to start as a new player and have a good experience?

- Is the magic of the game still there?

- Are there many people to socialize with in-game?

- I guess I'll try a Paladin build for some toughness and self-healing. Is there anything I should do right from the start so as not to screw up?

- How do I join the general chat on the Atlantic server?

- Are there any Atlantic guilds that are new player friendly?

Thanks for any advice!

Glowyrm

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
- Is it too late to start as a new player and have a good experience?
It's never to late, just take it easy and enjoy the learning part. UO is an old game with a lot of stuff and a lot of different systems.

- Is the magic of the game still there?
I believe so, at least on the server I play.

- Are there many people to socialize with in-game?
There are a lot people on Atlantic. I can't tell how the community are on Prodo shards. If you do not feel home there, try visit Siege Perilous, we do have a nice community

- I guess I'll try a Paladin build for some toughness and self-healing. Is there anything I should do right from the start so as not to screw up?
You can always changes skill later if you feel you made a wrong choice.

- How do I join the general chat on the Atlantic server?
If you are on Trial account, you can only join Help Chat :(

- Are there any Atlantic guilds that are new player friendly?
I will let Atlantic ansvar that but I'm sure there is.

Welcome to UO, I hope you will like it

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thanks for the reply! I will play a paying account. Does that mean I can join general chat?
Yes. Siege is not recommended for new players.

If you like a lot of players try Atlantic.

I play Great Lakes so if you choose to play there I can help you get started and answer any questions.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Siege is just as good a starting shard, as the rest of the shards..
Sure if you like being stuck with one character, no insurance, recalls, and slow skill gains.

It's up to them but they should be aware of where they're starting if they do.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
OK! The more active, friendly players I see around and get to interact with, the better.
There are many shards with great communities. Maybe scope each one out before committing.

Who knows, you may even like Siege.

Hawkke

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As a fairly new player myself, I'd say it's definatly not to late to start. I play on Atlantic and most of the people u come across are willing to answer questions and help out. Some wait around in haven just for that purpose. The game is huge with tons of stuff to do. I learn about something new or visit a new areas that I've never seen all the time, keeps it fun. Joining a good active guild helps out a lot too. Just don't be afraid to stop and talk to other players and ask questions. Good luck

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure if you like being stuck with one character, no insurance, recalls, and slow skill gains.

i dont find "only" 1 char to be that big a deal. Over time most siege players have accumulated 30++ soulstones or more, so that the 1 char they do have can be anything :)
Siege does have a more mature community, so im sure there are players willing to teach, and give to the needed.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Glowrym, Siege has different rules.. You can decide if you want to start there. I personally did not.

You can play there and on another Shard... You will eventually get bored and Siege can keep the game intriguing.

Yes, it takes place on Brittania and many other lands.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Britannia, Tokuno Islands, Malas, Ter Mur. These are the places where you can build a house. Eodon not. One thing: Atlantic may be easiest to meet a lot of folks. But that does not mean only lovely folks. But still many really nice people there. But you should know that it might be difficult to find a good housing place. It's too crowded. And don't feel annoyed by trash talk on General Chat on Atlantic, in terms of rational argument that shard is the worst of all. So, my hint: If you are American start on Atl and connect with the good folks there like Captain Nortington etc. They will help you get started and if you understood how the game works, you can try the other shards. I myself would never play solely Atlantc. Too many Weirdos and too much hard-core capitalism.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

It's not like we hide, that Siege is different, it's all in this thread Invitation to try out Siege Perilous
The different ruleset is a choice. It all depent what the players look for in the game.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
i dont find "only" 1 char to be that big a deal. Over time most siege players have accumulated 30++ soulstones or more, so that the 1 char they do have can be anything :)
Siege does have a more mature community, so im sure there are players willing to teach, and give to the needed.
How long have you played on Siege?

We both know the time or money it takes to get those 30 soulstones.

there are other shards that have a good community as well, let's not be misleading.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's not like we hide, that Siege is different, it's all in this thread Invitation to try out Siege Perilous
The different ruleset is a choice. It all depent what the players look for in the game.
Listen, all I'm saying is he should look before he leaps.

Your invitations are admireable, but I like to be direct and open with people.

You can take that for what it's worth.

Glowyrm

Visitor
About how long does it take to max animal training? Or, to get high enough to train dragons?

Is a Paladin a good choice for a new player?

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well... animal taming is the toughest skill in the game to gain IMO. The reason is that you gain based off of skill checks and it takes so long between skill checks with Animal Taming. The easiest way is to buy a Mythic token and bump it to 90, then get a mastery book for animal taming and as much mana gear as you can. Then use the mastery and gain that way.

Without buying the token it's the same only you'd have to slowly get to 90 which takes a bit of time.

Whenever I start on a new shard I go for Paladin, it's great. Blackthorn's dungeon and Haven island are great for new players. The gold elementals are a good source of gold and minax arties sell.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About how long does it take to max animal training? Or, to get high enough to train dragons?

Is a Paladin a good choice for a new player?
If you wanna go the short way to fun and a powerful template that allows you to participate in 98 percent of all ingame situations -successfully and cheap: Mystic-Mage-Combo. Plus X. Cheapest and fastest way: Mystic-Mage-Necro. With a bit questing: Mystic-Mage-Spellweaving. Or mage-necro-weaving. For soloing dungeons: Mystic-Mage-Stealther. Or Mystic-Mage-ProvoRouser. Endless Combos, easy to gain except Provocation, alot of fun and maximum versatility. Don't bother with taming. Boring like hell! Fighter is fun but not as versatile. Talkin of PVM of course.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
In my opinion, the most fun for me is building skills while playing in game and not buying skills like the token. If it were me, I would just start playing and get a feel for the game and have fun in doing so. Make new friends and talk with people about becoming part of a guild. I would say, check out www.LLTS.org add far as guilds go.
Whatever you choose, just have fun and try not to take the game to seriously as its just a game, but a very great one. If you have any questions, feel free to post here or message me.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, the most fun for me is building skills while playing in game and not buying skills like the token. If it were me, I would just start playing and get a feel for the game and have fun in doing so. Make new friends and talk with people about becoming part of a guild. I would say, check out www.LLTS.org add far as guilds go.
Whatever you choose, just have fun and try not to take the game to seriously as its just a game, but a very great one. If you have any questions, feel free to post here or message me.
This! Absolutely!

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd also not discount some of the less crowded shards as well. Napa and Chessy for example, while not nearly as populated as Atlantic have some very helpful players who go out of their way to welcome new players. This is most likely true for every shard. Most long term players have more than they'll ever use and are glad to help equip new players with good starting gear and funds along with template advice and explanations of game mechanics. On a less crowded shard its easy to find a nice housing spot, usually near active players. Shard events are also not nearly as crowded too. Our current guild on Napa has several new players and part of our fun as vets is reliving our early days of UO when everything was new - seeing the game through a new lens helps us rekindle the magic of UO after all!

From my experience our new players first tend to start with a Paladin type of player to get used to things, then move to an Archer (or Thrower) and then to a Mage/Mystic type. A Paladin is easy to get started with and skills fly up and allow you to experience a lot of content pretty quickly. If you stick with it a Warrior can be one of the most powerful characters as well. Archers or Throwers allow you to join harder hunts earlier on the skill curve so its easier to tag along when groups go do the higher end stuff. They also use the same training mechanics that a Paladin uses so it's an easy step to take. After that, training up a Mage/Mystic is a great way to diversify your character collection. Tamers, bards and craftsmen are other options as well.

You'll eventually figure out what type of character you like playing the most. My advice is to not over plan initially but start immersing yourself in the UO world - observe and learn. Some things you'll hear from players will apply to you, and some will not but letting your experiences in UO dictate your eventual path is part of the fun, IMHO. :)

Good luck wherever you start and whatever path you take on your journey!

-P.E.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with almost every point except the argument towards warriors. The opposite is true. And every newcomer is happy to know that he can cast a colossus, invis and watch the scene. With a warrior you a designed to be in the center of the battle, hit and get hit. You WILL die. While that is no problem for me, many young players can be discouraged of being food for the monsters. Especially at the beginning. You even won't get looting rights in many group-fights with skills around 70. As a mage you cast bladespirits, invis every now and then, cast offensive and defensive spells, heal and participate in every situation. Not much later you get the EV and then the colossus. In fact, you only need 4 spells for being an powerful participant. And monsters will not hit you most of the time. Beat this!

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well that depends on what hunts you start new players off on. Taking a 70's warrior to fight Exodus isn't generally in the plan. ;) Training up a Mystic for someone who has never played and having them do nothing but cast RC and going Invis works well, but it's been my experience that new players want a little more involvement than that when they start. Moving up through the ranks of things they can kill and learning the relative strengths of monsters and your abilities goes a long way, in my opinion. This can be done with a mage, of course, but it's pretty easy to go out and just start whacking stuff.

Most of our new players at the moment actually prefer archers and play them the most right now for a combination of what both of us are discussing - a balance of involvement and safety. ;) We do have a couple very happy Mystic mages too.

-P.E.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its just important for me to make some PR for spellcasters ;-)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...regardless of what shard you pick, before you start buying lots of things to "try" a template, I suggest going to the test center shard and you can create the exact character that you would like to test. You can set your skills quickly and will give you a feel of your end goal. For me personally, I find being a warrior far more enjoyable and easier for me instead of one of the spelling casting templates. You'll get the taste for what you are comfortable with, but each template is rewarding for playing against the world.

Plus on the test server you can make silly mistakes and it won't be costly, but always remember, even if you are at 75% or even 100% of building your char, you can easily change the skills. :)

Since you get a few different slots for characters you can always try a few and switch around s you don't get to crazy grinding and working on just one and!!!!!

Choose different names for each character!!! Don't make 5 Glowyrms! It has something to do with your characters basic screen settings all being the same for each character.

I have two Gidge's and they have to share the same screen so I have to have all the macros for both on there. doh!

Welcome to UO. :)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long have you played on Siege?

We both know the time or money it takes to get those 30 soulstones.

there are other shards that have a good community as well, let's not be misleading.
I play siege on/off, i dont play siege as my main shard due to lag issues. besides that i really enjoy siege.

I'm not misleading anyone :)
If you pick red soulstones as you go along, buy alittle / trade alittle, and stick to having 1 account.. you should be able to gather 30 soulstones fairly quick, if thats what u desire.

And yes i have 1 account and 40ish soulstones on my main shard. i used to have 4 accounts, but thats a completly different story.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I play siege on/off, i dont play siege as my main shard due to lag issues. besides that i really enjoy siege.

If you pick red soulstones as you go along, buy alittle / trade alittle, and stick to having 1 account.. you should be able to gather 30 soulstones fairly quick, if thats what u desire.

And yes i have 1 account and 40ish soulstones on my main shard. i used to have 4 accounts, but thats a completly different story.

Sure, you can pay around 50 mil or trade the equivalent, wait a year for one, or pay 20 bucks for one.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
OREOGL can we stop this intern shard fight and focus on helping new players no matter what shard they choose

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
OREOGL can we stop this intern shard fight and focus on helping new players no matter what shard they choose
What fight?

They can choose whatever shard they'd like, but I wouldn't recommend Siege being the first one.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, you can pay around 50 mil or trade the equivalent, wait a year for one, or pay 20 bucks for one.
The current rate for a soulstone token are like 30-40mill.

If u cant make 300-400mill a year, you're playing this game wrong..and there is your 10 stones, from playing just 1 year

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I almost always play a mystic mage now, but my first character was a paladin. Nothing more fulfilling than hearing the sharp sound of metal and seeing the skills shoot up - ettins, earth elementals, cyclops, titans, troglodytes - you're GM before you know it and looking for power scrolls to go higher. Mystic mage is easier for the tougher stuff without spending a lot of money. But don't worry too much about it it - that's why you have or seven character slots.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am playing for 10 years now, got 21 perfectly developed chars on each of my two main shards as well as 2 chars in development on Siege and and I never ever used / bought / traded a soulstone. You can play this game extremely successfully with very different strategies and I really accomplished everything one can accomplish in this game except pvp. And three things always were completely useless for me: Soulstones, pets and event-rares. Warriortemplates make less than 10 percent of my chars. I know how they work but they bore me extremely - only tamers are worse. Don't take me wrong, it's good that new players read these posts so they can see how diverse our universe is. And to me, the most satisfying things are monsters who attack each other, rising colossus and word of death as well as watching others die while I am hidden and drink a beer

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The current rate for a soulstone token are like 30-40mill.

If u cant make 300-400mill a year, you're playing this game wrong..and there is your 10 stones, from playing just 1 year
Most new players, if any, do not make 300-400 Million in a year. Let alone for the extra 20 you were saying youd get.

Glowyrm

Visitor
I mean if I played a mage build, I wouldn't want to have to kite them all over. I might be better off playing a toe-to-toe melee build.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I mean if I played a mage build, I wouldn't want to have to kite them all over. I might be better off playing a toe-to-toe melee build.
Gargoyle throwers do well
You can make an archer that works

Mysticism is good for pvm

Tamers are a pain to make

Mages have to be paired with something to be useful etc

Let me know what shard you start on i can probably help with a suit and template on just about any

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make an IDOC char, with hide/stealth/ninja/magery, and prepare to get rich fast :)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most new players, if any, do not make 300-400 Million in a year. Let alone for the extra 20 you were saying youd get.
Where do you get all this crap from ?
I made 500mill++ the first year i played.
place 1 castle there is your 300mill++
get an event drop there is your XXXmill
partisipate in all the player run stuff like deal or no deal, there is your XXX mill
make an idoc char, there is your XXXmill
and i could go on.

Glowyrm

Visitor
Archers don't have to kite much?? What's the difference between a Mystic and a Mage? What's IDOC? LOL, sorry for all the questions, it's just sometimes easier to get info straight from the experts than to sort through Google.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
partisipate in all the player run stuff like deal or no deal, there is your XXX mill
and i could go on.
Only if you sell everything you get. Most folk don't sell everything they get. They keep most of it.
And a lot of players don't have that much time to play... meaning they don't have time to sit 15 hours waiting on an IDOC to fall. Many can't attend EM events since they have too much lag and crash often... So while you may be able to do that it doesn't mean that everyone can.

I don't make that kind of cash in UO but I don't do vendors either. Occasionally when I'm on and someone is in Gen Chat looking to buy something I have I'll sell it... Though I don't too often as most folk don't want to pay anything for it. And I tend to keep quite a lot to give out to new and returning players.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Archers don't have to kite much?? What's the difference between a Mystic and a Mage? What's IDOC? LOL, sorry for all the questions, it's just sometimes easier to get info straight from the experts than to sort through Google.
Archers
I'd say yes, they do have to kite much, unless you're just fighting one boss that's not moving, such as at the end of a spawn or after a net toss.
Mystic and Mage
Magery and mysticism are two different schools of magic, each with its own spellbook
Mystic mage means you use both schools of magic, with mysticism the main
If you like to fight from a distance, magery uses two energy vortexes to kill things while you become invisible or hidden, which you can cast reliably around 100 skill
Mysticism offers rising colossus, which does a lot more damage when you also have high focus. I also like healing stone, which heals you instantly with no delay. I think rising colossus can outdamage a greater dragon when both mysticsm and focus are around 120, but there are some situations where you can't cast damage spells, like events within town limits
IDOC
Stands for In Danger of Collapsing, when a house sign shows it might fall within the next several hours. People camp out around the house, sometimes for hours, waiting for a chance to grab the loot when the house disappears and the contents hit the ground. If the house is in Fel, you can also have fights between players.
uoguide.com
Has anyone suggested uoguide.com yet? It has discussions on about every key word you've asked about. Make it a bookmark

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and i could go on.
Listen, thats no lovely attitude. Why should it be the goal of playing to get an amount x in gold? Let the new guy have some fun and actually play the game. Statements like these were one reason for me to go to Siege. I couldn't simply take this get-rich-and-show-off kinda playstyle. Sorry, mate! But that's ruining the game. New people should simply enjoy the game and don't bother with wall street...