• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player Questions

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With some experience you will be able to combine spellcasting and warrior abilities, e.g. Mystic-Thrower which is a real fun-template: Mysticism, Focus, Throwing,Tactics, Anatomy, Chivalry.
No hurry now, but keep it in mind for later. You will love it . It's a paladin, too. Just as reference to your OP.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The materialism of late and greed IMO are driving the memememeism and taking away from the community feel the game used to thrive on. I personally am more interested in collecting friends and companions in UO than gold and worth. I guess I measure worth in friendships and fun rather than in gold and items.Thankfully there are several that share my view still.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Listen, thats no lovely attitude. Why should it be the goal of playing to get an amount x in gold? Let the new guy have some fun and actually play the game. Statements like these were one reason for me to go to Siege. I couldn't simply take this get-rich-and-show-off kinda playstyle. Sorry, mate! But that's ruining the game. New people should simply enjoy the game and don't bother with wall street...
Well making gold, in an item based game, how is that bad ?
@OREOGL keeps refering to some gold cost, no matter what i say.
I really enjoyed the days where everyone ran around weilding a halbard. gm made suit, and a big bag of reagents..sadly those days are gone :/

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only if you sell everything you get. Most folk don't sell everything they get. They keep most of it.
And a lot of players don't have that much time to play... meaning they don't have time to sit 15 hours waiting on an IDOC to fall. Many can't attend EM events since they have too much lag and crash often... So while you may be able to do that it doesn't mean that everyone can.

I don't make that kind of cash in UO but I don't do vendors either. Occasionally when I'm on and someone is in Gen Chat looking to buy something I have I'll sell it... Though I don't too often as most folk don't want to pay anything for it. And I tend to keep quite a lot to give out to new and returning players.
Sometimes you just need abit of luck.
Along time ago, on a forgotten shard, i was training taming, taming gamans, i tamed thise weired looking creatures, when i had tamed them, i would bring them to the big bad wolfs, so they could kill them for me. Sometimes i even killed some dogs, rabbits and other stuff, because i like killing stuff..
Anyways as i were leading the gamans to the wolfs, just as i passed a somewhat big house, it said BOOOM the house collapsed...
I got this house filled with tots, all by myself..this is how i made 100-200mill. I didnt wait 15 hours, nor did i spend weeks marking runes, etc etc.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Where do you get all this crap from ?
I made 500mill++ the first year i played.
place 1 castle there is your 300mill++
get an event drop there is your XXXmill
partisipate in all the player run stuff like deal or no deal, there is your XXX mill
make an idoc char, there is your XXXmill
and i could go on.

Yeah all you have to do is place a castle (especially if they start on ATL...) or spend hours idocing, and a new player might get lucky enough to get a drop on an item they start playing on if they've trained skills up quick enough.

But it still stands, most new players don't make that much in the first year they play, despite your own personal experience.