• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The future of Stratics, RoC and future policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am going to earn my old and in the way title here. This is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of the managers of this forum.

Might I suggest that if the community wants to express opinions on these topics, they do so in a civil and respectful manner. I think they already have a suggestion forum. Never been there I hear it is nice.

Picking fights in threads and calling out the admins is not going to get you any... traction? Is that the buzz word of the time?

Just saying...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we can safely assume that we have an adult community...as in we are all over 18 years of age.So I think we can dump some of the less extreme language filters. I think there should be no content that is off limits except direct personal attacks. If broadsword can deal with us discussing a great mod we saw on a free shard, then tough $hit. This isnt broadsword and I am tired with whole movement of kissing their butts. They have screwed up a few things huge lately...and they need to hear that. they need to hear that their paying customers are tired of lazy crap like the issues with the new atlas. So I would love to see mods and admins ease up a little about some content.

I do give them props as far as finally developing a sense of humor and embracing irony and satire and sarcasm as humor....NOT trolling!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Perhaps this is not the thread... but it is the start.

We gave some ideas here.

This community is very diverse. It is also not huge. Stratics need to find a way to appeal to all of the 4 letter word folks and yet keep a place for folks that want none of that.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am going to earn my old and in the way title here. This is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of the managers of this forum.

Might I suggest that if the community wants to express opinions on these topics, they do so in a civil and respectful manner. I think they already have a suggestion forum. Never been there I hear it is nice.

Picking fights in threads and calling out the admins is not going to get you any... traction? Is that the buzz word of the time?

Just saying...
Wouldn't this post belong in the suggestions forum you spoke of?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread is not a suggestion aimed at Stratics Staff, It is a thread suggesting something to the community itself, so would not fit into the "Stratics suggestions" area which is designed for people to suggest things to the staff, not the community.

Since it is a pretty general topic suggesting something to the UO community, it qualifies enough as an Ultima Online topic to stay here in Uhall in my opinion.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Selective moderation. This thread has zero to do with uo gameplay, which if you read the sub heading of the forum, you will see this forum is for topics regarding general uo.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It just further goes to show that no matter who owns stratics it will always be about cliques.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Selective moderation. This thread has zero to do with uo gameplay, which if you read the sub heading of the forum, you will see this forum is for topics regarding general uo.
It's not really selective moderation, it's more along the lines of "we don't have a forum this would actually fit into, so Uhall is fine" type of situation. It doesn't fit into the suggestions one because those are suggestions for staff not the community, and it doesn't really fit into off-topic, because it isn't off topic either, it is a discussion about something for a UO related website. If it were about another game, it would fit into off-topic though.

So, Uhall is really the only thing left. The only way to make it fit better would be to make a subforum called "community suggestions" or something lol.

It's not about cliques, if you had posted this exact thing, or if anyone else posted it, then I would be saying the same thing.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, on further review, this surpasses groveling and moves right into an unadulterated slurpfest.....

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glad to see that some things on this "open forum" never change. Isn't this really the second thread started by this "alumni" to toot his horn and tell the lesser people how it is done?

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only have personal attacks to level / state. Can I post them in this thread?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Just saying...
It must really bother you to see people having lively discussions on this forum without being able to log in as moderator and lock half the threads on the front page. After the way you and certain others blatantly ran this place into the ground in the name of "civility" or whatever, I'm shocked that you're actually shameless enough to post an opinion like this with a straight face.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Guys, this is getting old. Spock, Aibal, others... just chill. I've never been a mod. I work on projects that help out the game, whenever I think of something, be it in game, or on Stratics. I come to UHall to discuss UO-related stuff. The accusations and negativity that keeps pouring out isn't actually doing anything other than wasting everyone's time. So how about you go punch a mongbat, find a newbie and hand him a million gold, then come back and find some thread to reply in where your post might actually be worth others' time to read?

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Oh I think he's fine with it.

Considering he was on staff for 10+ years it would mean it took him a long time to run the place into the ground

I look at it from a different lens

While the population of UO tanked,Kelmo along with a lot of other great VOLUNTEERS, worked their butts off to keep things lively, on track, and engaging on the stratics forums among a lot frustrated venting by disappointed players.

Cracking the whip and keeping things respectful kept the community from obliteration and set good standards of engagement.

Well done gang and thank you

I would have all those volunteers back in a heart beat

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we can safely assume that we have an adult community...as in we are all over 18 years of age.So I think we can dump some of the less extreme language filters. I think there should be no content that is off limits except direct personal attacks. If broadsword can deal with us discussing a great mod we saw on a free shard, then tough $hit. This isnt broadsword and I am tired with whole movement of kissing their butts. They have screwed up a few things huge lately...and they need to hear that. they need to hear that their paying customers are tired of lazy crap like the issues with the new atlas. So I would love to see mods and admins ease up a little about some content.

I do give them props as far as finally developing a sense of humor and embracing irony and satire and sarcasm as humor....NOT trolling!
**** **** ****, I agree.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Just saying...
I'm not sure I see a problem that needs fixing. My only complaint is if your going to have rules enforce them on everyone equally. That's really the only issue I have with the forums but it's a big one I hear often. Make the rules clear because I've certainly had problems being punished for violating unknown and unwritten rules and procedures.

I don't see the need to begin allowing "mild" swear words, which I do constantly in my private life in appropriate situations. This forum should be run to at least appear to be a respectable gaming community ;) Alienating Broadsword is not a brilliant idea either imho. We have a new opportunity here to mend some of the broken ties with Broadsword. If they decide to pass on that then we hammer on them ;)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An adult is someone who is able to get their point across without being a gutter mouth immature jerk. Seriously being a gutter mouth will not make your point come across any more clearly, but if you wanna be a gutter mouth maybe a sub form could be made where gutter mouths should pay a small fee monthly to access this sub form.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only in this community do paying customers feel they need to mend a relationship that has deteriorated with someone they are paying for service. Only in this community do paying customers feel they need to kiss a developers A$$. They need to be repairing the relationship...they need to be kissing our A$$ ( metaphorically) for the incredibly poor service they are providing to their paying customers and the lack of respect they show us every day.
Years of BS has skewed this relationship and that sad part is some here actually believe we should be reaching to out repair this relationship.......mind boggling!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
To get back on topic...

I'm curious what others think needs to be changed about the RoC, if anything. Anyone have specific proposals or ideas?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It must really bother you to see people having lively discussions on this forum without being able to log in as moderator and lock half the threads on the front page. After the way you and certain others blatantly ran this place into the ground in the name of "civility" or whatever, I'm shocked that you're actually shameless enough to post an opinion like this with a straight face.
You sir sound like some recently returned disgruntled ex-customer whom got slapped with some trolling warning 5 years ago and is unable to let it go. Do you hold a similar grudge against your local McDonalds for screwing up your egg mcmuffin back in 2005? You have since triumphantly returned to Stratics and aligned yourself with kelmo's entourage of haters. Now that you have a world to share your opinions in not dominated by kelmo's thread locking rage, you are going to take advantage of this opportunity by merely chiming into other people's threads with snarky comebacks?

Granted, I do get a laugh out of much of your work and there IS a place for humor here. You are actually a good writer with a GREAT vocabulary. It just seems you would be taking full advantage of this opportunity you have to post some real ideas that could benefit the community rather than inserting one-liners in various threads and using any post on these forums by @Kyronix as target practice. I do like the little editorial piece you posted about "no player economy" characters. Fascinating, news worthy stuff right there.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only in this community do paying customers feel they need to mend a relationship that has deteriorated with someone they are paying for service. Only in this community do paying customers feel they need to kiss a developers A$$. They need to be repairing the relationship...they need to be kissing our A$$ ( metaphorically) for the incredibly poor service they are providing to their paying customers and the lack of respect they show us every day.
Years of BS has skewed this relationship and that sad part is some here actually believe we should be reaching to out repair this relationship.......mind boggling!
You only see what you you see. What you see accounts for roughly 5% of the big picture. Regardless of who "initiates" it, a relationship with the developers will play a key factor in Stratics' and the community's activity and success.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only see what you you see. What you see accounts for roughly 5% of the big picture. Regardless of who "initiates" it, a relationship with the developers will play a key factor in Stratics' and the community's activity and success.
Really 5%??? love to see your statisics on how you came up with that number Wild.....
We could fill a stadium with that 5%..... the sad part is people are too busy kissing butt to own it and admit it.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think Kelmo is right on here. I see it as building a mutually respectful, articulate, interactive community of people that all have their own side of the box they view. As an adult I will never kiss butt. I do know, as an adult, that I need and desire mutually respectful, articulate interaction. I'd much prefer to engage with people who can stay focused on what's being talked about and not degenerate the thread into an emotionally based contest of sorts.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't mind the idea of lightening the rules a little on the lines of profanity filters. But anyone who has been in a ventrillo with me for 5 minutes would know why... lol.
I speak rather freely with the use of many colorful words. Its a product of the neighborhood environment and culture I grew up in. I don't consider myself to be abusive or uneducated by using such words, but then again I always run into some person who feints after I unleash a few words. Or some bible thumper who wants to wash my mouth out with holy water.

Out of respect for the broader community, and the folks that choose to avoid such words in their day to day living, I would say the option for a profanity filter needs to be accessible. But for the rest of us that aren't bothered by such language, we should be able to turn it off and use it fluently in our uneducated rants. ;)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Kelmo is right on here. I see it as building a mutually respectful, articulate, interactive community of people that all have their own side of the box they view. As an adult I will never kiss butt. I do know, as an adult, that I need and desire mutually respectful, articulate interaction. I'd much prefer to engage with people who can stay focused on what's being talked about and not degenerate the thread into an emotionally based contest of sorts.
you can be mutually respectful, and articulate and passionate, provocative, and edgy all at the same time!
And the level and quantity of butt kissing that goes on toward Bonnie and Broadsword is staggering to the imagination. I have met and interacted with Cliff Bleszinski a few times in my life.....and not even his towering ego requires this level of butt kissing and servitude.....LOL

The funniest part is how so many people deny they are doing it ...as they prostrate themselves to achieve optimum positioning to pucker up!

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
you can be mutually respectful, and articulate and passionate, provocative, and edgy all at the same time!
And the level and quantity of butt kissing that goes on toward Bonnie and Broadsword is staggering to the imagination. I have met and interacted with Cliff Bleszinski a few times in my life.....and not even his towering ego requires this level of butt kissing and servitude.....LOL

The funniest part is how so many people deny they are doing it ...as they prostrate themselves to achieve optimum positioning to pucker up!
I agree with this. It is one thing to be respectful and show someone respect. It is quite another to kiss ass. None of the development team should be expecting anyone here to bow down to them or hold back in any way. We, as players, are paying for service, and not everyone is wholly happy with said services. On top of that, those on these boards are typically passionate about the product and can have difficulty in expressing satisfaction or dissatisfaction without displaying this passion.

As far as a profanity filter, I'd be all for it. I'd immediately turn it off, of course, since in real life I cuss like a sailor. But I can see how others might want it.

Honestly, I'd just like to be able to type "damn" without wondering if it'll show up.

Edit: Hey... looky there. It did show.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Now we are talking!

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really 5%??? love to see your statisics on how you came up with that number Wild.....
We could fill a stadium with that 5%..... the sad part is people are too busy kissing butt to own it and admit it.
5% wasn't a reference to population numbers who feel a specific way. It was in reference to available information you are using to formulate your opinion.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5% wasn't a reference to population numbers who feel a specific way. It was in reference to available information you are using to formulate your opinion.
I am aware of what you were referring to.....as I said....show me your statistics. Because as I said I can fill a stadium with the information I am using to formulate my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.