• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

bit of a bid war going on in the dieing hours

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
just woke up and stumbled down to the computer and i see there is a bit of a bidding war going on for the old stratics.

5 hours and 13 minutes left.

i better go get some beer and some popcorn this may turn out to be interesting.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
$12,100 and climbing!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i wonder if Bidder #3 is a guy/company that buys and rips apart sites?
guy is a 'super buyer status' with $124k in purchases.
he has also been bidding for the last 23 days.
and bid this morning.

interesting.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No idea man, all I hope is we hold the high bid for the next 5 hours.

ETA: If that is the staff as bidder 1.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone confirm if bidder 1 is the stratics staff? If not has a bid been made yet?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't matter if you bid 10 hours or 10 minutes before the close of the auction. The big bidders, if there are any, will be waiting until the final moments.

This is like when people show up at an IDOC hours before it falls. None of the action happens until it does fall.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, it was just sold for a $16,500 buy it now option which was just added. Can staff confirm it was them?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya, i was just coming to check the same.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i must admit, i was half expecting some Russian fella named Vladamir to come in and say he and his syndicate won and they just wanted the name, the site was now dead and off into the cold night we where being sent.

very happy to know i have a nice warm place by the hearth to curl up and play my lute for some years to come.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
on a related side note, a big thank you to @Ron Bron for taking a hit on the sale to give us the Buy it Now.
thats pretty damn stand up of you Ron.
i seriously doubt ron took a hit. a business person would take the most profitable path. i doubt the bidding would've reached the buy-it-now price.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sure you do champ.

Besides you were talking about buy it now being made public weren't you...

Carry on.
LT speaks the truth. there was no public buy-it-now. it was all hush-hush. if the auction had a buy-it-now it would look like the listing below (taken from flippa).
bin.png

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
am i the only one that thinks this is unethical? BIN is given to only 1 bidder?
Without knowing all the details

At the end of the day I am fine with it

It's done

The community has a lot to do

And I cosnider you a serious asset to the community

Time to move forward and be part of the solution for what the community needs

Those needs are volunteers lIke you that can do a great job supporting and building community

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
don't get me wrong. i'm very glad to know stratics landed in good hands.
I got you right

I know your best wishes are all for the community my friend

That's why I said you are am asset.

There is a serious amount of work to do now and people with your love of community and skills are needed to make a serious difference

I know you will help make that difference

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh please....no no no....people are moaning on here about insider information??? really??? its been part of UO for the last 12 seasons!!!

Congrats on the staff buyout.... iam sure the site will be in good hands....and well done all the players that tried to win it ...massive effort

Alas please no more moaning about inside information.....

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm glad this got a good ending. And I'm glad it was the Staff and the community who won.
I don't know who buyer #2 and #3 was, even when we may know you as a part of the community and you may have wanted the best for us too, it was hard not to fear you would win as we did not know what you wanted to do with our home.
I thanks everyone for trying to safe Stratics, also if you was one of the other buyers.
Merry Christmas everyone

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unethical? no, it's part of business. However if the other parties bidding were not also informed a "buy out button" was going to be added the yes, the seller could find himself in some trouble with the US authorities.
At best looks like insider trading, at worst looks like IRS avoidance both of which are taken quite seriously in America.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
LT speaks the truth. there was no public buy-it-now. it was all hush-hush. if the auction had a buy-it-now it would look like the listing below (taken from flippa).
View attachment 40965
Although I am not a fan of Flippa and will not defend the standard practices it allows or encourages, I would like to be clear on this particular concern:
  • The staff executed the purchase on the site via a publicly-available BIN button exactly as per your screenshot
When a BIN is added to an auction, Flippa actually emails all bidders/watchers, any of whom have access to execute. At that point, the seller can either accept or reject the BIN offer. There is no such thing as a "private" BIN button on Flippa.