• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

bit of a bid war going on in the dieing hours

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be repoerting this up to flippa regardless. Screen shots taken. Its underhand and that bodes very well for the future of stratics doesnt it. No integrity. So the moderators are now judge and jury. RIP stratics. Any sense of objectivity, accountability or fair play is now out of the window.

My message posted yesterday ... which none of you will have saw as its "awaiting moderator approval and invisible to normal users"

What have you all got tp hide ??

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'll be repoerting this up to flippa regardless. Screen shots taken. Its underhand and that bodes very well for the future of stratics doesnt it. No integrity. So the moderators are now judge and jury. RIP stratics. Any sense of objectivity, accountability or fair play is now out of the window.

My message posted yesterday ... which none of you will have saw as its "awaiting moderator approval and invisible to normal users"

What have you all got tp hide ??
Sorry, Craftsman -- but what message did you mean? Please let me know and I"ll check with the staff.

As for the rest, nothing to hide here. In fact I think 99% of the people on these boards or elsewhere would agree we've gone out of our way to be as transparent as possible without ensuring that a 3rd-party bidder could use that information to their advantage. I know for a fact that not a single other bidder put the time and effort into answering questions and formulating a model for the community that this team did -- and it was an effort well worth the time and sleepless nights. I am exceptionally proud to be a part of this team, this effort, and this community.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So the moderators are now judge and jury. RIP stratics. Any sense of objectivity, accountability or fair play is now out of the window.
Completely unfounded accusation. The moderators were basically always judge and jury. Previous site owners were not micro-managing every moderator decision. That is why you put people in a position of responsibility. I trust these moderators will continue to do a fair job, just as they have been ove rthe past year under RonBron's ownership. You're just trying to stir up trouble.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say I was mildly shocked at the final price. I figured it would go for less than 8k. I even seriously considered the purchase. It still has reasonable potential to give a decent return as an investment.

OldUO

Adventurer
In retrospect it wasn't that much money for what your getting. If anyone looks hard enough you'll see people paying alot more for alot less when it comes to developed aged websites on flippa.

Also.. what's the deal with @The Craftsman outside looking in sure seems like this guy is one butt hurt sore loser. What's his deal with the current staff of this site? Pretty pathetic.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't matter if you bid 10 hours or 10 minutes before the close of the auction. The big bidders, if there are any, will be waiting until the final moments.

This is like when people show up at an IDOC hours before it falls. None of the action happens until it does fall.

What is the status of you taking lead on this now?
Crossing fingers that happens. Your Idea is perfectly sound.

Thanks

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Unethical? no, it's part of business. However if the other parties bidding were not also informed a "buy out button" was going to be added the yes, the seller could find himself in some trouble with the US authorities.
At best looks like insider trading, at worst looks like IRS avoidance both of which are taken quite seriously in America.
"Insider trading" is an entirely different concept involving stock or securities trades. This has nothing to do with either.
An auction buyout also has absolutely no positive nor negative tax consequences; it certainly doesn't involve tax avoidance.
So perhaps drop some of the accusations, especially when they literally make no sense?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Insider trading" is an entirely different concept involving stock or securities trades. This has nothing to do with either.
An auction buyout also has absolutely no positive nor negative tax consequences; it certainly doesn't involve tax avoidance.
So perhaps drop some of the accusations, especially when they literally make no sense?
I was "dumbing it down" so others would understand what I was saying.
I am NOT going to start quoting American law by paragraph on here.
Those who know, know i'm right and i'll leave it at that.

I'm happy the Stratics staff got it, just saying it could have gone wrong and then there would be so many more people saying it was an "unfair" auction with pre-determined results.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It looked a whole lot more like you were making unfounded accusations.

Here's a "dumbed down" version that doesn't drift into entirely unrelated financial concepts:
The owner set a buyout. At that point, every bidder had the option for buyout. (This is how Flippa apparently works.) The community (ie the staff and indiegogo fundraising effort) took advantage of the buyout offer first, and therefore, won.

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It looked a whole lot more like you were making unfounded accusations.

Here's a "dumbed down" version that doesn't drift into entirely unrelated financial concepts:
The owner set a buyout. At that point, every bidder had the option for buyout. (This is how Flippa apparently works.) The community (ie the staff and indiegogo fundraising effort) took advantage of the buyout offer first, and therefore, won.

There was no buyout set or listed in the auction. Saying every bidder had the option for a buyout, is wrong and a complete lie.. The only bidders who had the buyout option were the staff members.. A friend of mine attempted to buy it out and was told by owner the option was only for the staff..

To me it doesnt really matter who won the site aslong as its someone who will continue doing the wonderfull job the site has always done. It was just a bit heart breaking listening to a voicemail from a friend comeplety destraught bc they had no real chance to buy a site they have loved since the start... Even tho they were willing to go double what it sold for..

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
There was no buyout set or listed in the auction. Saying every bidder had the option for a buyout, is wrong and a complete lie.. The only bidders who had the buyout option were the staff members.. A friend of mine attempted to buy it out and was told by owner the option was only for the staff..

To me it doesnt really matter who won the site aslong as its someone who will continue doing the wonderfull job the site has always done. It was just a bit heart breaking listening to a voicemail from a friend comeplety destraught bc they had no real chance to buy a site they have loved since the start... Even tho they were willing to go double what it sold for..
I do not usually get involved in this kind of back and forth, but I am going to say this just one more time, for the record:
  • The Bring Stratics Home campaign executed a PUBLICLY AVAILABLE Buy It Now option that was placed on the Flippa Auction by the owner. This option was visible to anyone looking at the auction at the time and, according to Flippa, all active bidders/watchers are sent an email when/if a BIN is set. That said, we do not control Flippa. If they failed to send those notices I suggest your friend speak to their Support team.
  • Also according to Flippa, sellers can list a BIN option at any time. It does not have to be at the start of the auction. It can even be changed multiple times by the seller if they so desire, throughout the auction.
  • Once someone does execute the BIN option, the seller can then accept or reject the BIN offer from within their dashboard.
  • Our offer was accepted. I know this because I personally pushed the BIN button.
I am sorry your friend was disappointed or even heartbroken at not being able the purchase the site. I would be even sorrier if the hundreds of people who supported the Bring Stratics Home campaign had had to be disappointed.

That said, if you have further doubts or questions about our integrity or truthfulness, please feel free to contact the seller, or Flippa's terms of service/help pages, or Flippa's support themselves. Your accusations are both unfounded, and do not belong on this board.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Welcome to the wonderful world of Stratics. Do not let a few "rain on yer parade". Most of Stratics Universe is very happy right now. Hold on to that.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was "dumbing it down" so others would understand what I was saying.
I am NOT going to start quoting American law by paragraph on here.
Those who know, know i'm right and i'll leave it at that.

I'm happy the Stratics staff got it, just saying it could have gone wrong and then there would be so many more people saying it was an "unfair" auction with pre-determined results.

You must have really really dumbed it down cause what you wrote here was really dumb. The only possible issue I can see could be a violation of contract between Flippa and The seller. And that obviously didnt occur! But you american's are a litigious group so I am not surprised that people are claiming things were done unlawfully. LOL

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya I know....I was just being a smart A$$. I am waiting for some numb skull with no concept of satire or appreciation for dry biting humor to page on me. It is typical when ever I make a joke about something moronic that someone said. I imagine big tears welling up in peoples eyes as the hit the "report" button. Then someone tells me to stop picking on so-and-so.....lol!

I am glad you double liked it.......it is nice to know someone else sees the humor occasionally too!!

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't going to happen since I did not end up purchasing Stratics.
If the people that do run this site ever give it up.
i will be happy to donate money for you to take it over.
I have never liked how this place operates.

Thank you.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the people that do run this site ever give it up.
i will be happy to donate money for you to take it over.
I have never liked how this place operates.

Thank you.
There's always the Log Out button, Oxxypoo

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol, too much a$$ kissing in this thread for me. *closes door behind himself* :facepalm:

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*With a Glance at the door and a slight wave of his hand*

"An Por"

*turns his attention back to the glowing embers off the fire at the satisfying sound of a quiet click from the lock on the door*

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
... and that super seller is likely a shill bidder...meh
i find it funny that others 'liked' this post. a shill bidder is someone who bids on an auction to increase the price (and no intent to win/buy the item). this is not a good thing.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
And that attitude is what costs a lot of businesses their customers, and if it prevails will end up sinking Stratics as well.
No matter who owns it.
Considering Aran is not or ever has been a Stratics team member I really don't feel that this applies.

If I heard a friend stating a pointless ongoing criticism of a restaurant they regularly go to I would say why don't you stop going.

If my child complained a lot about one of their playmates. I would say why don;t you play with someone else.

xX~Cobalt Bones~Xx

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
this is the last time i checked on the auction, at 7 hours. when exactly did the buy it now button appear? i find it very hard to believe that this wasnted mentioned around behind the scenes. legal or not, seems backhanded. i guess whatever is best to make $$ within the limits of the law, and not getting caught. im glad stratics wont poof, but also feel the whole situation was handled extremely poorly. extorting the community because of fear the site would be lost, accusations that anyone else interested the site would just tear it apart. People being sidelinded and frowned upon (and not given a buy it now when asked about it) like JC, and probably a few others who would have ran the site very well. Whole thing was an embarassing mess. the real winner? Ron Bron of course. grats buddy.

cheaters.png

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Our good friend JC Builder posted early on that he had an extensive conversation with the Stratics community campain and as a result urges everyone to support the Campaign

Then to further his point he made the $1200 donation that put the fundraising campaign over the minimum needed to secure the funding for the group that bought the site.

He also state that he would be looking forward to working closely with the team.

He had every opportunity to go forward and purchase the site himself but after careful conversation decided to work towards building the community instead of dividing it.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for that

I very much appreciate his support and look forward to seeing how the sites partner together.

I don't feel there is a way to make everyone happy with the way the sale was done.

We have the choice to be happy with the future result, stability, and the way the community is comming together.

The future is very bright and I have really enjoyed seeing the various factions out there setting aside their differences to map out some very good community focused partnerships.

Time to move on and embrace our future

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
If you look at the bid history, you can see that the auction ended on a buy it now. It doesn't really matter what it looked like 7 hours earlier.

And while I have no idea who else was actually bidding, I do see that among the other bidders were some who do, based on their histories, buy sites for the purpose of milking/breaking them for cash, then dumping them. Noone ever said that EVERYONE else would do so, just that it was a good possibility if an unknown were to end up owning the site.

I do agree that putting the site up for public auction was a horrible idea. But can we just drop all these sideways accusations and such? Ron's going to get paid, and the site will endure, but now without folks trying to somehow turn it into a cash machine.

As for JC, he already runs at least two UO sites. I'm very happy for his donation, and sure, I'd be happy to see him taking some part in helping improve Stratics. As someone who also runs a (small) UO site, and who has rather a lot of data about items in UO, I'm already talking with Elenni about adding what I have to Stratics. If JC (or Decadence, or others) wants to do something similar, so much the better. :)

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
a lot of people miss high school and all the drama that goes with it.
some of us dont miss the drama.

but as long as there are those that miss the drama there will always be endless entertainment for those of us that dont care about it yet love to watch it.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll tell you the same thing I told my dad when he fussed about my cat Princess cause she made poo in his shoe.
You can cuss and yell your head off, but the cat stays!
In her defense she was only a baby.
This :Begging: can't make poo on anything, scratch anything, ninja-stealth-attack toes or climb the curtains so she's already better than a RL kitty.

xX~Cobalt Bones~Xx

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
when people run long auctions here like over a week (with an end date) and just decide to add a buyout, it looks really, really bad. for both the seller (who often gets blacklisted) and also the buyer. theres often some corruption involved, and even if not it breeds suspicion of both the buyer and seller, leading other traders to not want to deal with them. see this happen pretty often. just a bad sale, bad pr. If he had a buy it now price in mind it should have been listed at the start of the auction. adding it that close to the end just looks bad for all parties involved. If this auction were here on the forums, the thread would have been locked from posting whats on alot of peoples minds right now

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
when people run long auctions here like over a week (with an end date) and just decide to add a buyout, it looks really, really bad. for both the seller (who often gets blacklisted) and also the buyer. theres often some corruption involved, and even if not it breeds suspicion of both the buyer and seller, leading other traders to not want to deal with them. see this happen pretty often. just a bad sale, bad pr. If he had a buy it now price in mind it should have been listed at the start of the auction. adding it that close to the end just looks bad for all parties involved. If this auction were here on the forums, the thread would have been locked from posting whats on alot of peoples minds right now
This post is worthless without links to examples of this on these forums.

Let's see your top ten example links