• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skill Mastery Testing Part 2

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will be posting the results of my Skill Mastery testing here for the Masteries that have changed since Part 1. Skill Mastery Testing
All tests were done with Lvl 3 Mastery.

Mastery abilities that trigger while hitting a victim, no longer trigger during a Weapon Special (so no combining Injecting Strike+AI anymore).

Last edited:
Reactions: ake

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WEAPON SKILLS
SWORDSMANSHIP
"Focused Eye" remains unchanged. It still consumes Mana, despite http://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-90/ saying that it consumes Stamina.

"Onslaught" remains unchanged.

MACING
"Toughness" remains unchanged.

"Stagger" remains unchanged, with the exception of that it's damage cannot exceed 35 in PvP.

FENCING
"Thrust" has been changed. It no longer offers +SSI, and how it offers +Damage Modifier has changed. Instead, Thrust is now a sustained Toggle, and when it is toggled with Lvl 3 Fencing Mastery, your auto attacks will deal +18% more damage (ignoring DI cap, so basically +18% Damage Modifier) and reduce your victim's attack (melee or non-magical ranged) damage by 18% for 8 seconds. Both the damage bonus for yourself and the damage debuff to your victim stacks with successive hits, up to +54% damage for yourself, and -50% damage for victim, however successive hits do not refresh the duration. It costs 30 Mana (subject to LMC) to toggle Thrust, and each successful hit landed during Thrust consumes 30 Mana (subject to LMC) to strengthen the buff/debuff. Thrust can be toggled without cooldown, and lasts until either you un-toggle it, or run out of Mana while attacking. The -Damage debuff to victims does not stack with the effects of Feint. Attacks during Thrust cannot exceed 35 damage in PvP.

"Pierce" remains unchanged.

ARCHERY
"Flaming Shot" now properly aggros victims.

"Playing the Odds" now also applies a DCI debuff to enemies within 5 tiles for 8 seconds when first activated. The DCI debuff appears to be identical to that on HLD weapons.

THROWING
"Called Shot" cannot exceed 35 damage in PvP, and does not boost the damage of Weapon Specials, so no more 43 damage Mortal Strikes in PvP.

"Elemental Fury" cannot exceed 35 damage in PvP. Although, i have no idea why they limited it, i've never seen it do anywhere near that damage to other players. Against max Resists, it does 10 damage, and against a Cursed target with 60 Elemental Resists, it does 13 damage. Maybe if the player was butt naked with 0 Resists, it'd make sense.

WRESTLING
"Rampage" now also adds Casting Focus when you land successful hits. However, missing, getting parried, or fizzling a spell through either a failed skill check or getting interrupted by a hit will completely drop the buff. This ability basically isn't worth the Mana/effort.

"Fists of Fury" now attempts to punch your attacker 3 times when you take damage from an opponent within 2 tiles, if all three hits successfully land, then it deals extra Direct Damage. The duration now scales with Evaluating Intelligence as well, if you don't have Anatomy. At 120 Wrestling and 120 Anatomy or Eval, it lasts for 10 seconds and has a 20 second cooldown, so 1/2 uptime.
The odds of landing all three hits for the Direct Damage, is low in PvP when you're facing opponents with 120 Wep skill and 45% DCI, especially considering most Mages (the main users of Wrestling) have 0 HCI. The only real use i can think of for Fists of Fury, is for close range Mage duels, where your opponent's delayed spellcasts such as Magic Arrow, Fireball, Explosion, Flamestrike or Poison ticks would set off Fists of Fury, making his offense against you interrupt his own spell casts.

PARRYING
"Heighten Senses" remains unchanged.

"Bodyguard" remains unchanged.

"Shield Bash" will now Interrupt a spell and Paralyze, even through Protection. The Interrupt/Paralyze is subject to Paralyzing Blow's Diminishing Returns though, and cannot be done more than once every 10 seconds. Shield Bash can no longer exceed 35 damage in PvP.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ARCANE MAGIC SKILLS
MAGERY
"Ethereal Burst" with 120 Magery/120 Eval now has a 30 minute cooldown, down from 2 hours.

"Death Ray" remains unchanged.

NECROMANCY
"Command Undead" no longer unequips non-SC weps from your hand. There seems to be no Ancient Liches in Khaldun on TC, so i'm unable to test if those can be controlled.

"Conduit" no longer unequips non-SC weps from your hand.

MYSTICISM
"Mystic Weapon" with 120 Mysticism/120 Focus lasts for 900 seconds, up from 450.

"Nether Blast" remains unchanged. It's still pretty weak.

SPELLWEAVING
"Mana Shield" now scales with Arcane Focus Level, instead of Meditation.

"Summon Reaper" now has it's strength scale with Arcane Focus Level, instead of Meditation.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MARTIAL MAGIC SKILLS
CHIVALRY
"Rejuvenate" remains unchanged.

"Holy Fist" now applies a "snare" effect that force walks, similar to Splinter Weapon or the desert in Twisted Weald. With 120.0 Chiv/120 Wep Skill and 22k Karma, Holy Fist only snared a 9k Karma player with 0.0 Resist skill for 1 second. Against the same player with 100.0 Resist, most of the Holy Fist snares were fully resisted. Against a -32k Karma player with 0.0 Resist, Holy Fist once again only snared for 1 second. The new snare effect of Holy Fist is extremely weak, even at 120 Chiv and high Karma.

BUSHIDO
"Anticipate Hit" remains unchanged.

"Warcry" remains unchanged.

NINJITSU
"Shadow" has had it's Mana upkeep discrepancy fixed. It now costs 4 Mana every 3 seconds (not affected by LMC) to maintain, and can be maintained indefinitely with 120 Focus and 8 MR.
With GM Hiding/120 Stealth/120 Ninjitsu on an Elf without Shadow active, i took damage from 30 Earthquakes, each one between 30-36 damage. 15/30 Earthquakes revealed me. With Shadow active, i took damage from 30 Earthquakes, each one between 30-36 damage. 5/30 Earthquakes revealed me. It appears Shadow now works.

"White Tiger Form" remains unchanged.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OTHER SKILLS
TAMING
"Whispering" now has a 10 minute duration, and 30 minute cooldown, so 1/3 uptime.

"Combat Training" has been clarified by the devs in Part 3, and the observations i've made previously were only part of the Mastery's function. Some of the Mastery's appear to have changed, or gained more function.
"Empowerment" acts very similar to Consume Damage, in that it makes your pet very tanky (which was not the case prior to Part 3). This is because for a period of time your pet will store damage taken, and then use that store of damage to boost it's own damage output, both melee and magical (+DI/+SDI).
"Berserk" has been changed to function exactly like the "Berserk" property from the Bestial Set. For 8 seconds, the more damage a pet takes, the more damage reduction it gains, and the more melee damage it deals. This effect has a 60 second cooldown. The short duration and long cooldown make this ability rather pointless in comparison to Empowerment or Consume Damage.
"Consume Damage" makes your pet very tanky. Your pet will store damage taken to increase it's HCI and Regeneration.
Active Meditation can no longer be maintained while using Combat Training.

POISONING
"Injected Strike" has received a number of changes. It can no longer trigger simultaneously with a Weapon Special or any Strike based ability, such as Death Strike, Lightning Strike or Counter Attack. Injecting Strike still remains active though during spell casts (meaning it's still useful for Nox Mages). Injecting Strike with ranged weapons now also only reduces the victim's Poison Resist by 15 in PvM, and 7 in PvP.

"Tolerance" remains unchanged.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I appreciate your efforts.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I hope the Poisoning mastery works better than normal poisoning with a weapon.
Tested the new lands and basically Tigers got hit and everything else new shrugged off Deadly and Lethal.
Perhaps the mastery should be a guaranteed hit chance...........or just admit all the masteries are basically just for PvP.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I hope the Poisoning mastery works better than normal poisoning with a weapon.
Tested the new lands and basically Tigers got hit and everything else new shrugged off Deadly and Lethal.
Perhaps the mastery should be a guaranteed hit chance...........or just admit all the masteries are basically just for PvP.
Injecting Strike allows you to poison with weapons that normally can't poison, so no need to swap weps to poison. A lot of the dinosaurs are resistant to poison because they themselves can inflict poison.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the new tribal humans are resistant to GM poisoner too, along with the dinosaurs, as I said the only new mob I found that you can actually poison is the Tiger. So being able to poison different weapons means nothing when about 90% of mobs ingame today are resistant to a GM poisoner anyway.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All the new tribal humans are resistant to GM poisoner too, along with the dinosaurs, as I said the only new mob I found that you can actually poison is the Tiger. So being able to poison different weapons means nothing when about 90% of mobs ingame today are resistant to a GM poisoner anyway.
Exactly. It's like having Vet on your tamer.... What good is it if you can't ever stand anywhere NEAR your pet??? Why invest 120 points in something you can't even use?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
DP Nox Fields seem to do decent for the first two levels of the Dragon Turtle Champion. The Urali Tribe members seem to have 100% Physical Resist, Greater Dragons can't hurt them with melee, yet my Bane Dragon or Cu Sidhe can.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hmm I was using poison mastery vs them on my archer, it worked great vs the ones I meet, I really love poison mastery, I'm sure it will work great with macing too and swordmen will love to have more weapons to use with poison.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm I was using poison mastery vs them on my archer, it worked great vs the ones I meet, I really love poison mastery, I'm sure it will work great with macing too and swordmen will love to have more weapons to use with poison.
Yep, Macers finally have a way to use poison (other than UBWS).

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Friend brought up a good point and asked if the taming masteries will allow training faster somehow like the Musicianship skills.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Friend brought up a good point and asked if the taming masteries will allow training faster somehow like the Musicianship skills.
As in keeping the Taming Masteries channeled to raise Taming skill? Not sure, haven't tested it. I doubt it though.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just tested Stagger on Chief Paroxysmus to see how badly it messes with melee heavy Peerlesses, and holy crap is it powerful. Chief Paroxysmus went from swinging every 3-4 seconds, to every 8 while under Stagger, plus i had knocked him down to 0% Stamina with my Maul. At no point in time was i anywhere near in danger against him, he just attacked way too slow.
I had Honor, Disco and Corpse Skin on him, and with a 100% Fire Maul with 35% DI/30% SSI/62% HML/50% HSL/50% HLA i was doing 130-140 damage a Stagger, and about 150-160 total damage with Double Strike. Dropped him dead within 5-7 minutes of attacking him.

Next, i'm gonna test how it works against Dread Horn.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just beat the crap out of Dread Horn. Once again, Honor+Disco+Corpse Skin with the same 100% Fire Maul, was quickly able to reduce Dread Horn to 0% Stamina, and Stagger kept his melee attacks slow as hell. Stagger did 100-120 damage, while DS did 120-140 damage. Took me about 15 minutes to kill Dread Horn, and was never in any danger the whole time.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just beat the crap out of Dread Horn. Once again, Honor+Disco+Corpse Skin with the same 100% Fire Maul, was quickly able to reduce Dread Horn to 0% Stamina, and Stagger kept his melee attacks slow as hell. Stagger did 100-120 damage, while DS did 120-140 damage. Took me about 15 minutes to kill Dread Horn, and was never in any danger the whole time.
Sounds cool, if overpowered. Been a while since maces seemed good. Maybe ill be able to solo blackthorn captains finally!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My main fighter is a macer. Those are awesome news for me. :D

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds cool, if overpowered. Been a while since maces seemed good. Maybe ill be able to solo blackthorn captains finally!
If they're melee heavy, then yeah. Stagger seriously slows the attack speed of it's victims. Although it has no effect on magic casting, so something like the Shimmering Effusion, Abyssmal Horror or a Wizard Captain would still have the bulk of their damage.

It's about damn time that Macing got something nice.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Warcry just seems so useless to me. Not what it does, but with the cooldown. I don't expect it to be spammable but it's just too damn long to be at all worth using over anything else.

Low

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With the poison mastery it seems u need GM skill to apply DP..at 90 skill u can only apply GP...that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mana Consumption with "Toughness of the macing mastery" is to much 7 ticks of mana per.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, since i've been seeing a massive amount of questions about Masteries, both in game and on Stratics, i thought that i'd bump this post so others can see it, and hopefully have it answer their questions.

Cardinal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly. It's like having Vet on your tamer.... What good is it if you can't ever stand anywhere NEAR your pet??? Why invest 120 points in something you can't even use?
Well this is a statement from someone who doesnt know how to play this game. You dont afk next to your pet you run in and heal and move back. Sick of trammie tamers who wanna afk with no resists no mage wep and just go easy mode. Suck it up princess and get good at the game. Sorry you cant bandie your pet 100% how about run a combo of skills for diff situations? lifes hard for a tamer isnt it. And yes i run a tamer with magery for heals and SW for heals and protection for those fights i can NEVER bandie as rare as they are. I also have 120 vet. No sympathy

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I am wondering if there's any info on what happens when you use onslaught with a split damage weapon. Based on the original thread linked at the top here, and anecdotal (numbers backed but still anecdotal) with my own testing, I've seen the onslaught mastery work some wonders. I've always used either AI, or CW+DS when DS is the right move. The offshoot of that is all my DS weapons are reforged not for 100% elemental damage, but HLL or HML.

Does anyone know if the resist reduction happens and is evenly distributed across the damage of the weapon, or if it only affects the highest value?

For instance, lets say I reforge and enhance a new set of weapons with the plan for getting the "ideal" damage type to be 60%. Does that mean my full onslaught will reduce just that one, by 20% so that when I use CW I get the FULL effect? Or will onslaught drop, say, fire by 12 and phys by 8, which is sub-optimal in most cases.

BearCorpse

Adventurer
"Death Ray" causes lower target's energy resist. It depends on Eval, Magery and mastery level.
In this case,120 Mage/Eval with Level 3 mastery, it lowers 10 point target's energy resist.
Yes, it remains unchanged.

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Has anyone actually seen the "mana-rip" debuff on a level three mysticism mastery blast?

I've tried it on guildies, and not seen it happen on players.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if the resist reduction happens and is evenly distributed across the damage of the weapon, or if it only affects the highest value?
Only one resist is being lowered.

I did not have many elemental weapons available, but I tried out what I had.

100% element reduced that resist
80% physical/20% cold reduced cold
60% fire/40% energy reduced energy
50% phyicals/50% fire reduced fire
50% cold/50% poison reduced poison
20% physical/80% chaos reduced physical
10% fire/40% cold/50% energy reduced energy
10% physical/40% fire/50% cold reduced cold
20% physical/70% fire/10% energy reduced energy
20% physical/20% cold/30% poison/30% energy reduced energy
30% physical/50% fire/20% energy reduced energy
30% physical/50% fire/20% poison reduced poison

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, those are quite interesting results. Did you try the multiple weapons multiple times? Some of the results are pretty surprising, like when there are 3 types to choose from, and the lesser is chosen. I wonder if that was just chance, or if that happens every time.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, those are quite interesting results. Did you try the multiple weapons multiple times? Some of the results are pretty surprising, like when there are 3 types to choose from, and the lesser is chosen. I wonder if that was just chance, or if that happens every time.
I tried each a few times, but I guess it could've just been chance. Will do some more testing later today.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Which is the order that the resists are listed in all UIs etc. So it seems like they just take the last one in the list. Interesting, and good to know. Makes it much easier to "control" which resist will be lowered without needing to make 100% weapons, but to rely on CW.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As in keeping the Taming Masteries channeled to raise Taming skill? Not sure, haven't tested it. I doubt it though.
Just thought i'd update this. Yes, spamming "Combat Training" on a pet will train your Taming and Lore skill similar to how you can train Bard skills through Mastery spamming. It has currently become the fastest and easiest way to train Taming. I went from 96 Taming to 120 on one char in 3-4 days by doing this. The "Tamer" Stratics forums have a few threads on how to make EC or UOA macros for it.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Has anyone looked at the strength/dispel chance of rising colossus under mysticism mastery passive? Seems pretty strong with lvl 2 primer.

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Has anyone looked at the strength/dispel chance of rising colossus under mysticism mastery passive? Seems pretty strong with lvl 2 primer.
I hadn't noticed. Most champions and treasure map ancient wyrms have no problem getting rid of them, even with a level three primer.

If it's a tad harder for players to dispel, I would be surprised. The devs failed to make any of the Magic masteries worth having compared to the super-powered melee skills in PVP. Seriously guys, nether blast and death ray are terrible, go back to the drawing board, you did a bad job. Fix it.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I hadn't noticed. Most champions and treasure map ancient wyrms have no problem getting rid of them, even with a level three primer.

If it's a tad harder for players to dispel, I would be surprised. The devs failed to make any of the Magic masteries worth having compared to the super-powered melee skills in PVP. Seriously guys, nether blast and death ray are terrible, go back to the drawing board, you did a bad job. Fix it.
Greater Dragons and even exodus overseer's don't have a problem either though i was surprised that Dread Horn is behaving differently and not going for dispels anymore although they did change the wrestling of it so they might of just done a clean slate on that peerless. Some things seem just coded to almost 100% dispel things I mean the Irk/Guild/Spite in twisted wield have awesome magery/eval but they don't go for dispels.

I'm liking the Mystic Weapon I'm currently running an interesting template with bushido as a result but yes Nether Blast is just pathetic.

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Greater Dragons and even exodus overseer's don't have a problem either though i was surprised that Dread Horn is behaving differently and not going for dispels anymore although they did change the wrestling of it so they might of just done a clean slate on that peerless. Some things seem just coded to almost 100% dispel things I mean the Irk/Guild/Spite in twisted wield have awesome magery/eval but they don't go for dispels.

I'm liking the Mystic Weapon I'm currently running an interesting template with bushido as a result but yes Nether Blast is just pathetic.
Nothing is worse than death ray for PVP, and the nether blast mana rip debuff doesn't work. It's either broken or pointless trivial even at level three. I've tried it repeatedly.

But hey, shield bash and stagger are still awesome. So nobody cares.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exodus Overseers have Auto Dispel. The instant they land a hit, they dispel with 100% success.