• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Governor Requests and City Development- broken off from Atl transcript thread

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Andrasta says: is about the gold on the townstones
Andrasta says: will we ever be able to spend it on improvements and events?
Lord Kyronix says: We've been building a library of town additions
Lord Kyronix says: You may have seen them on other shards
Lord Kyronix says: A jail in Britain, a market in Trinsic
Andrasta says: oh they exist already?
Andrasta says: how do we get access?

Does anyone know where these might be located? What shard and location? So I could go see them?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Andrasta says: is about the gold on the townstones
Andrasta says: will we ever be able to spend it on improvements and events?
Lord Kyronix says: We've been building a library of town additions
Lord Kyronix says: You may have seen them on other shards
Lord Kyronix says: A jail in Britain, a market in Trinsic
Andrasta says: oh they exist already?
Andrasta says: how do we get access?

Does anyone know where these might be located? What shard and location? So I could go see them?
The Britain jail is/was on Catskills I believe. @Pandora_CoD probably knows exactly where.

Chesapeake had a Trinsic market set up (just SW of the docks a bit in what is a big empty square in Tram) but all the pieces were timered and expired. I think another shard had one but I'm not sure which one.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Britain jail is/was on Catskills I believe. @Pandora_CoD probably knows exactly where.

Chesapeake had a Trinsic market set up (just SW of the docks a bit in what is a big empty square in Tram) but all the pieces were timered and expired. I think another shard had one but I'm not sure which one.
The market was also on Catskills. I held it a few months

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

East Britain where the old guard tower along the southern shore. ;)

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is worth mentioning that none of the things so far required gold to get. Just a decent rp reason why you need/want it. At least on Catskills anyway.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We also did a peace summit tent for GLs. Once our new website launches there will be a place to see all the different builds and know what's available.

Mesanna keeps saying we should build and submit designs if we wish them to be considered for inclusion. What is the best way for a normal player to build something like this for consideration?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mesanna keeps saying we should build and submit designs if we wish them to be considered for inclusion. What is the best way for a normal player to build something like this for consideration?
Work with the Crown to request whatever it is you want, and they'll pass on the request. If you just want deco for an non governor related player event you can contact a player event coordinator. You don't need to mock anything up, you basically just need to provide a basic outline of what it is you are looking for and we'll build it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Work with the Crown to request whatever it is you want, and they'll pass on the request. If you just want deco for an non governor related player event you can contact a player event coordinator. You don't need to mock anything up, you basically just need to provide a basic outline of what it is you are looking for and we'll build it.
Ok Kyronix I'll ask again and again... I would like Yew to have a Teleporter, Ferry or Bridge to get from point A to point B!

To go from here to there.jpg

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Lolz to above comment! So true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Feel free to work with the Crown and perhaps his Majesty will see fit to order such construction ;)
On behalf of those farmers who live across the way on the Yew Far Farm I shall once again request that the King grant us such a transport to keep my fair Citizens safe and to allow us faster access to those across the bay. We asked before as poor Ariel of the far farm was kidnapped from her farm and fears returning. I can't spare Militia to stay watch over the far farm and travel there takes far too long to run all the way around the bay. I begged the Farmer and his family to move closer to the Abbey and town so that we might protect them better but of course they did not wish to leave their lands and I fear for their safety.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would a small stall where I can prepare coffee and food for the lovely people, who meet each evening, without exception, at Britain bank (Europa) to help new and returning players, be too much or too frivolous a thing to ask for? Just a tiny area where I can make coffee and prepare food for them on the spot. It would be lovely!

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would a small stall where I can prepare coffee and food for the lovely people, who meet each evening, without exception, at Britain bank (Europa) to help new and returning players, be too much or too frivolous a thing to ask for? Just a tiny area where I can make coffee and prepare food for them on the spot. It would be lovely!
Generally speaking the area immediately surrounding Britain bank is a busy place to begin with given the redecoration that occurred a number of years ago. However, there is the park in East Britain that would work for something of a street fair. Also, anything that will be built within the confines of the city limits is generally not going to be permanent so organizing something like that with the Governor of Britain and others who might be interested would be the most feasible course of action.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Generally speaking the area immediately surrounding Britain bank is a busy place to begin with given the redecoration that occurred a number of years ago. However, there is the park in East Britain that would work for something of a street fair. Also, anything that will be built within the confines of the city limits is generally not going to be permanent so organizing something like that with the Governor of Britain and others who might be interested would be the most feasible course of action.
The bolded part is where I think you're losing a lot of people. Interest in making requests drops precipitously when the notion that everything is "temporary" is said, the response from many becomes "why bother?" We'd like some permanent, cosmetic changes to our cities - whether by world building efforts or EMs who love to decorate.

Just yesterday I was asked in general chat to decorate Britain so it didn't look so sterile, so un-lived-in. Of course I had to say no. :oops: *ALL* previous requests on GL for decoration improvements were denied.

Just take a quick peek in the buildings in nearly every original city, then take a peek in Zento and New Haven buildings. Notice a difference? Heck, look at Zento/New Haven as a whole, then compare them to any original city...they all pale in comparison. The original cities look institutional, boring, empty. The only bright spots are where EMs have made a mark, or from the bank redesigns (some of which are exceptionally pretty and functional...except for the one on GL o.0).

While I'm cautiously optimistic about the library, I'm somewhat afraid of it perpetuating the cookie-cutter look of the original cities. We need a way for a shard's personality to be reasonably reflected in the cities.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couldn't one of the little tents near the river on Europa have the crates removed and turned into a cooking stand? It would have far more use as @Valura cooking tent at the shard meetings she caters for each day than some random piece of deco that's never used :)

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's follow his suggestions and use the governor\ king to request these changes. Let's not turn this thread into requests for individual towns within individual shards.

Thanks.
Give that much of the confusion over these possibilities comes from people having no idea what has or has not been done on other shards, surely it would make sense to spilt the conversation about what people want into a seperate thread, but keep it going on UHall since that's the best 'common ground' we have for such things.......

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The bolded part is where I think you're losing a lot of people. Interest in making requests drops precipitously when the notion that everything is "temporary" is said, the response from many becomes "why bother?" We'd like some permanent, cosmetic changes to our cities - whether by world building efforts or EMs who love to decorate.

Just yesterday I was asked in general chat to decorate Britain so it didn't look so sterile, so un-lived-in. Of course I had to say no. :oops: *ALL* previous requests on GL for decoration improvements were denied.

Just take a quick peek in the buildings in nearly every original city, then take a peek in Zento and New Haven buildings. Notice a difference? Heck, look at Zento/New Haven as a whole, then compare them to any original city...they all pale in comparison. The original cities look institutional, boring, empty. The only bright spots are where EMs have made a mark, or from the bank redesigns (some of which are exceptionally pretty and functional...except for the one on GL o.0).

While I'm cautiously optimistic about the library, I'm somewhat afraid of it perpetuating the cookie-cutter look of the original cities. We need a way for a shard's personality to be reasonably reflected in the cities.
When it comes to permanent cosmetic changes to the city, that is something that has to be effected by changing the world building, which is going to be perpetuated on every shard. The reason builds within the city limits are temporary is due to the fact that when different shards have changes within the cities it becomes an issue when we are trying to implement future content as we run into problems when items exist on some shards and not others. If there are specific buildings that you wish to hold events in, decorations can be added to them to "spruce" them up. If these events are a "one off" the PEC can help you. If this is an on-going event it would be something that we can add to the library of additions that will eventually be an automated process. The main point to remember is that we do not have the resources to support "deco for the sake of deco." If there is some broader purpose for building the area it's certainly something we can try to accommodate.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Since this topic seems to be generating a lot of interest, it deserves its own thread! What kind of things would you like built in the cities? What kind of things have already been built? Share your ideas and pictures!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When it comes to permanent cosmetic changes to the city, that is something that has to be effected by changing the world building, which is going to be perpetuated on every shard. The reason builds within the city limits are temporary is due to the fact that when different shards have changes within the cities it becomes an issue when we are trying to implement future content as we run into problems when items exist on some shards and not others. If there are specific buildings that you wish to hold events in, decorations can be added to them to "spruce" them up. If these events are a "one off" the PEC can help you. If this is an on-going event it would be something that we can add to the library of additions that will eventually be an automated process. The main point to remember is that we do not have the resources to support "deco for the sake of deco." If there is some broader purpose for building the area it's certainly something we can try to accommodate.
Hence why we never bother. We don't bother using buildings in a city because they are often unusable... wouldn't do any good at all... or open to being griefed which honestly isn't worth it... We don't bother asking for anything much anymore as it's 99.9% either denied because they "don't deco" or takes so long that you'd have to have it planned so far in advance that your Governor term would be over before you got it approved.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For Yew I always wanted that road finished... to be able to travel to the Far Farm without having to run outside town and all the way around the bay to get there. Always wanted some sort of sit down area near the winery to hold "wine tastings and events... something like a tavern setting.... I've seen several put atop the winery with stairs going up..... I'd love that.

Always thought that the area around the Heartwood entrance needed something... benches flowers... some significant mark to say that Heartwood was THERE..... not just some silly transporter gate that looks nothing like a giant tree would be there. But some significant structure or park like area that says this is the line between humans and elves... enter here to go visit the home of the elves.

And I still don't know why we can't Tithe at our Ankh in the Abbey? Does it not stand to reason that the City of Justice would not wish to welcome Paladins into the Abbey to Tithe??? IMO every town ought to have a place to do that! Or to Gather for a Circle... and certainly Yew being so close to Heartwood ought to have a Circle that would give a level 6 bonus.

Those are my thoughts.

I always thought that we ought to be able to put a few items in as the Governor to decorate. But that's me. What I wouldn't give to be able to add some deco to my city at Christmas or Halloween... or in the summer for like a fair or something... to be able to put in a temporary place to hold like an archery contest or some of the targets for throwing contests. A jousting field... complete with a stand for spectators. An open air banquet area for having the wine tasting or feast... etc... like you would expect to see in a town having a fair. Complete with tents and such for folk to work and sell their wares of cooking, smithing, and tailoring etc... somewhere the alchemist might use... a place to make coffee.

I don't want to have to bother the PEC with simple deco... and some of it ought to be just there. I also don't want to have to go to Skara Brae to hold every fair on GL's.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Since we are on the topic of city additions/alterations, I think the governors' offices need some heavy rethinking.

While the governors' offices were a nice touch, they are completely useless. You can't customize them at all for specific events/purposes. You can't even hold a meeting of more than maybe 5 people in one without it getting seriously cramped. It is also impractical for them to be so far from the city stones and the trade ministers. I would imagine that most active governors have a player house elsewhere--possibly far away from their city--from which they conduct governor business.

If these are ever revisited, I think they should be rebuilt as second floors on the banks (or a neighboring building) with some limited lockdown and maybe ejecting ability for the governor (with it all unlocking each election). The trade ministers should also work out of these offices. They would be a great place for events and it would be neat to see how each governor customized it for their term... might even give more ideas based on how they get used. I realize that's probably more than the team probably wants to put into it, but I think something along these lines would be really neat and useful, and help unify the scattered and confusing elements of the city loyalty system.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hence why we never bother. We don't bother using buildings in a city because they are often unusable... wouldn't do any good at all... or open to being griefed which honestly isn't worth it... We don't bother asking for anything much anymore as it's 99.9% either denied because they "don't deco" or takes so long that you'd have to have it planned so far in advance that your Governor term would be over before you got it approved.
As I stated in my previous response, if you want deco for the sake of deco, then no, that is not something we are going to put resources behind. If it is in the context of an event that is unrecurring, then you can contact the PEC. They are more than willing to work with you and can request most everything EMs can (sans rewards) for their events. That is why we have the PEC, to take the burden off the EMs to handle player events and the requests associated with them so EMs can continue to focus on shard wide responsibilities. Any event is going to be open to griefing, but there are some safeguards we can put in place to limit it.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since we are on the topic of city additions/alterations, I think the governors' offices need some heavy rethinking.

While the governors' offices were a nice touch, they are completely useless. You can't customize them at all for specific events/purposes. You can't even hold a meeting of more than maybe 5 people in one without it getting seriously cramped. It is also impractical for them to be so far from the city stones and the trade ministers. I would imagine that most active governors have a player house elsewhere--possibly far away from their city--from which they conduct governor business.

If these are ever revisited, I think they should be rebuilt as second floors on the banks (or a neighboring building) with some limited lockdown and maybe ejecting ability for the governor (with it all unlocking each election). The trade ministers should also work out of these offices. They would be a great place for events and it would be neat to see how each governor customized it for their term... might even give more ideas based on how they get used. I realize that's probably more than the team probably wants to put into it, but I think something along these lines would be really neat and useful, and help unify the scattered and confusing elements of the city loyalty system.
The Governor offices are small areas that you can roleplay in. Adding any ability for a governor to customize them is way outside the scope of what they were originally intended for and at this time would take away resources from tasks that serve a large slice of the player base. That's not to say that it's a bad idea, and we've had conversations about how to make the cities more customizable while still keeping a cohesive look, but right now that'd be a big task that unfortunately is destined to stay at the conversation stage for the time being.

That being said, there is still a tremendous amount of flexibility in what we can add to what is existing to suit it to your needs as shown by the library so far.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apermanent addition I would LOVE to see is a flea market. A building in each town, that the governor has control over, much like a house. Table with boxes on them, locked down, and the gov can rent (for maybe 24 hours) a box to a player to display wares in. (Locked down of course) The player that rented the box is the only one that can release an item in it. Be a lot more player interaction, as the owner has to be there to facilitate the sale (no absentee selling, ie, no npc vendors) The governors could get together and decide on a rotating schedule, so cities aren't competing against each other.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's not to say that it's a bad idea, and we've had conversations about how to make the cities more customizable.
That kinda makes me shudder, to let people do too much to the towns. Might be way worse than we are now. Remember peeps, at one time someone somewhere thought that New Magincia looked better than the old, that New Haven looked better than the old, and that the God awful horrid looking crystal house tiles were pretty.

Just sayin...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When it comes to permanent cosmetic changes to the city, that is something that has to be effected by changing the world building, which is going to be perpetuated on every shard.
Aye, I'm suggesting that someone, in the future, go through and spruce up the cities. Make them look lived in, beautify the buildings/roads. There are way too many tracts of ugly blank areas in the cities. No need to make it a massive chore, just one or two a patch for however long.

The reason builds within the city limits are temporary is due to the fact that when different shards have changes within the cities it becomes an issue when we are trying to implement future content as we run into problems when items exist on some shards and not others.
18+ years of shard history has already done that. At any time you could put in something that spatially conflicts with an already extant piece of shard-specific deco, its happened a few times (Moonglow beer garden is one I remember). Granted, I understand not wanting to create more such issues, but again...cookie cutter shards...yuck.

If there are specific buildings that you wish to hold events in, decorations can be added to them to "spruce" them up. If these events are a "one off" the PEC can help you. If this is an on-going event it would be something that we can add to the library of additions that will eventually be an automated process. The main point to remember is that we do not have the resources to support "deco for the sake of deco." If there is some broader purpose for building the area it's certainly something we can try to accommodate.
A lot of it is the need for simple urban beautification. Bluntly, most of the cities are ugly as sin. Nearly empty, boxy buildings with very little character. :(

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That kinda makes me shudder, to let people do too much to the towns. Might be way worse than we are now. Remember peeps, at one time someone somewhere thought that New Magincia looked better than the old, that New Haven looked better than the old, and that the God awful horrid looking crystal house tiles were pretty.

Just sayin...
All of your examples were things forced on the game by past devs, not players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I stated in my previous response, if you want deco for the sake of deco, then no, that is not something we are going to put resources behind. If it is in the context of an event that is unrecurring, then you can contact the PEC. They are more than willing to work with you and can request most everything EMs can (sans rewards) for their events. That is why we have the PEC, to take the burden off the EMs to handle player events and the requests associated with them so EMs can continue to focus on shard wide responsibilities. Any event is going to be open to griefing, but there are some safeguards we can put in place to limit it.
Then why bother... Other than the spawning of mobs the PEC can't do anything worth asking for since it's either not going to last long enough to be worthwhile or isn't something I can't do myself far easier on my OWN building.... where I CAN control Griefing by simply throwing out the person/persons who are not compliant with the event... Honestly you all are so out of touch.

And again what is the point of getting elected Governor if you honestly can't do anything at all beneficial to your city or your community any more so than any individual can on your shard? Anyone can use the PEC... Anyone can do an event. Fact is few do outside those who are already doing them regularly... and have for years without the help of anyone DEV or otherwise.

And don't tell me about the silly trade deal 99% of the shard doesn't bother to use... and NO ONE cares to vote on or ask for... Don't talk about the Titles NO ONE requests. They are so unimportant, unused and honestly since they only last until the next election they are an epic waste of time.

Honestly does any of it build community? NO... Does any of it promote going to your city and doing anything for your city? NO... Trade deals that you can run benefit one person.... the one who is doing them ..... that is it.... it's not like donating to the zoo where eventually the points build up and your shard gets interesting deco non-interactive stuff at to look at... It puts a bit of money into the coffer so the Governor can fund a trade deal which they can't even tell if anyone even bothers to use... the Governor has no way of knowing if anyone is even a citizen on their stone... let alone cares what they have chosen as the trade deal. I know of ONE person who uses the trade deal in Yew. ONE. He's quite vocal about it... if I forget to activate it but since the thing now automatically re-applies I haven't heard a peep from him... And I'm sure every other Governor feels the same way...

You know when I first heard about the Governor system I thought finally we are going to get something to rebuild community and get folk to come back to towns and care about their towns... However after the first Election period and rejection of all idea's submitted I and everyone else who ran for Governor soon realized that being Governor only meant one thing and one thing only... it's purely for RP and serves no other purpose but to give you one more meeting every month to attend and where NOTHING you do or say is going to change or effect anything... Heck I can tell Lord Blackthorn that all the Citizens in my City have formed a revolt and wish to have him deposed and hung from the Mother Tree and he'd just shrug and go .... well things in Yew are interesting... or something.... but nothing will come of it. I could tell him that most of my Citizens have been abducted by aliens and it wouldn't effect anything at all... ON some shards I hear that the EMs interact and do things with the cities... that certainly doesn't happen on my shard anymore. Once upon a time the EMs used to participate with the RP on the shard... but no more. So my question remains what is the point??? If it is not to promote community and bring folk back to the towns... and give them a reason to choose a town to belong to.... and to improve... and make useful then what is the point???

And as for limiting Griefing I laugh... you can't/won't/don't even limit that at an EM Event... Where it's so blatantly obvious and disrupts the event... So I have no faith in hearing that you can lessen any griefing at a player run event... NEVER have I seen that happen. This is why hundreds of players quit doing events at all..... this is why several folk that I know of QUIT UO over the years... and not once have I EVER seen anything that would make me believe that anything would EVER be done about griefing.

Heck you all don't even do anything about Scammers driving people away from the game... I shouldn't even go here. But whatever fantasy world you are dreaming about keep on dreaming... cause this ain't it. And I've no idea why I bother even trying.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I may make a suggestion, then.

What about integrating this gov request library into the game. For example, let's take a market area like the Trinsic one pictured above. The market setup is added to the library by Broadsword (whether by their own design or a player's design). Then the governor views the setup, a picture or a description or a link to a picture and description in a governor-accessible gump, which they can then select and add to their city. The addition would come at a monthly, weekly, or daily cost - thus, the addition is necessarily temporary, yet it can also be there for as long as the governor wants, or can afford it. The more customizations they add, the higher the cost. And perhaps these costs, if figured correctly could compel a governor to have to choose between whether their city looks beautiful or has a functioning market area or has poor people (NPCs) walking around hungry or if there is rampant crime from poorly equipped guards or whatever else you can probably imagine.

This makes the whole process a little more efficient, gives players a little more control, adds a little more depth to the governor system, and I believe can solve many of the woes contained in this thread concerning town customization.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just a quick thought about this.

I know you can't change the original buildings structure as that is part of every shard.

BUT...when EM Faine Morgan was still on Origin, we had a nice little story arc involving a citizen by the name of Rosemerry.

She had recently returned to Brit and used to be the Kings cook and wanted a shop of her own.

There is an unused building in East Brit that was turned into her Bakery. No changes were made to the original structure but the interior was re-designed and remains that way.

upload_2015-8-18_17-35-52.png

The Crafters of the shard even helped build the furniture for it...as you can see :)

upload_2015-8-18_17-37-25.png

Kyronix....would things like THIS be possible? Just taking unused empty buildings and turning them into something else that COULD be permanent as the outer structure is not changed at all?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I may make a suggestion, then.

What about integrating this gov request library into the game. For example, let's take a market area like the Trinsic one pictured above. The market setup is added to the library by Broadsword (whether by their own design or a player's design). Then the governor views the setup, a picture or a description or a link to a picture and description in a governor-accessible gump, which they can then select and add to their city. The addition would come at a monthly, weekly, or daily cost - thus, the addition is necessarily temporary, yet it can also be there for as long as the governor wants, or can afford it. The more customizations they add, the higher the cost. And perhaps these costs, if figured correctly could compel a governor to have to choose between whether their city looks beautiful or has a functioning market area or has poor people (NPCs) walking around hungry or if there is rampant crime from poorly equipped guards or whatever else you can probably imagine.

This makes the whole process a little more efficient, gives players a little more control, adds a little more depth to the governor system, and I believe can solve many of the woes contained in this thread concerning town customization.
That is part of the long term plan, dependent on when there is a sufficient number of options available in the library based on what is requested.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a quick thought about this.

I know you can't change the original buildings structure as that is part of every shard.

BUT...when EM Faine Morgan was still on Origin, we had a nice little story arc involving a citizen by the name of Rosemerry.

She had recently returned to Brit and used to be the Kings cook and wanted a shop of her own.

There is an unused building in East Brit that was turned into her Bakery. No changes were made to the original structure but the interior was re-designed and remains that way.

View attachment 35082

The Crafters of the shard even helped build the furniture for it...as you can see :)

View attachment 35083

Kyronix....would things like THIS be possible? Just taking unused empty buildings and turning them into something else that COULD be permanent as the outer structure is not changed at all?
Any shard specific decorations in the city areas ultimately cause issues when we are implementing future content. Cities are logically a jump off point for new content, and when there are unknown bits of decoration floating around it's problematic dealing with that level of variety and causes unforeseen issues. These can range from errant teleporters that allow players to bypass quest chains to areas where new additions clash with existing additions causing movement/spawn issues. For those reasons builds that find themselves within the hearts of a city are limited by time.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We have a nice crafting area in that area in Trinsic on Siege .It is near the docks and the Gub'ner's office. I am not certain who built it or when. I have always wanted to do an event there.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For my own particular desires all I would wish for is an adjustment to the existing decorations that already surround Brit Bank upon lovely Europa. There are several nooks and crannies that could be utilized and would be very well used. There are already tents, tables and sundry crates all in situ.

I will approach the Governor and EM Layne when I encounter them next but if you @Kyronix could see the good work that the daily meeting at the bank does to encourage, support and nurture new and returning subscribers to our game you would build them a tower made of coffee makers and ovens! You should pop along..come as a youngling if you wish and sample our hospitality! There will be coffee and food for you but likely it will be cold as I will have carried it halfway across the Sosarian wilderness to get it there! Oh to be able to make it on the spot and nurture/feed the RP..

Reactions: Vor

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For heaven's sake people, please get this back on track.... the idea of this thread was a communal discussion and sharing ideas about what people and Governors wanted to see happen in their towns, and it's degenerating fast into all sorts of name calling and allegations of misbehaviour. If you want a conversation about potential abuses of things by EMs, or other folks, or to point out how awful you think some other people are, by all means try start one but don't drag this down into that argument or you'll end up getting it killed off instead of getting anything productive or useful from it :(

Unless, of course, this 'community' is really so far gone that we can't even have a relevant and polite conversation without it degenerating into such a mess...

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The discussion about EM corruption was moved to Spiels and Rants here. Let's keep this on topic and constructive please.