• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Your Thoughts on a Wiki...

Would you contribute to a Stratics Wiki?

• yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • no

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'd love to hear your feedback on a Stratics Wiki. This wiki feature would be fully integrated with the forums, allowing you to use your normal forum account to read and edit. It would be open to contributions from all members, but all contributions would be moderated (similar to the article system) so we wouldn't have to worry about spam or inappropriate revisions. Many have suggested this feature would be beneficial, but now it is game time. Tell me your thoughts.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the idea of a wiki, it would help get the community involved in the betterment of the site while also allowing the people who say some Stratics information is out of date to update the information themselves if they want to.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like the idea of a Wiki, for a few reasons.

• The Community has asked for it.
  • It would be overall easier to manage than Xenforo and Wordpress
  • It would open the ability to Migrate content from WP to everyone not a select few.
  • It opens correcting or updating information to more people.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the Idea of a Wiki, I use them in other mmorpg's all the time... "Where the F do I get that item... *Looks it up* Oh okay", but UO is a Complete Mess, the wiki would need to be insanely..... and I do quite literally mean insanely.... Well organized.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep needs to be done. Other games have wikis and way way much easier to find info.

As Ron knows in GW2 we have a command in the game that opens up our GW2 wiki in another window if you need some info.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It's a good idea, but at the same time, you'd have to have more than just 3-5 people updating it. Most people seem like they don't want to be arsed with doing stuff.

I'd also hope that things would be ported in from Stratics WordPress and people don't try to just copy things directly from UOGuide, which I see happening because, let's be honest, people are lazy. I know if anyone copied stuff from my site, I'd be less than pleased and admins would know about it quickly.

I hope moderators will take time to verify that stuff hasn't been directly copied and pasted for pages.

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's a good idea, but at the same time, you'd have to have more than just 3-5 people updating it. Most people seem like they don't want to be arsed with doing stuff.

I'd also hope that things would be ported in from Stratics WordPress and people don't try to just copy things directly from UOGuide, which I see happening because, let's be honest, people are lazy. I know if anyone copied stuff from my site, I'd be less than pleased and admins would know about it quickly.

I hope moderators will take time to verify that stuff hasn't been directly copied and pasted for pages.
Yeah, because nobody at UOGuide or UO Forums would have ever cut and pasted from Stratics in the past.

-Val'lyn

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, because nobody at UOGuide or UO Forums would have ever cut and pasted from Stratics in the past.

-Val'lyn
I'm not talking UOForums - more talking about UOHomeDecor where no, I haven't C&Ped from Stratics.

As far as UOForums, yes, I know past individuals did that and caused problems though that has not happened under new ownership in the past couple of years.

I can't say on UOGuide - but I know UOGuide has a lot of newer stuff than Stratics too.

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's pretty sad to see how lazy people have become online. Cut and Paste for a few hours and you too can have a website on any topic. Drop in some SEO rewrites and an Adsense account and you can make a pretty easy monthly income.

-Val'lyn

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As to the wiki, I think it's a good idea, as long as it doesn't end up being 1 persons input on everything UO.
I agree completely that we need a variety of people adding material.

Imagine a half dozen people who just focus on one main play style and consider the rest of the game useless and a waste of good server space. We would find little if any info about the rest of the game since it's senselessly boring and absolutely no one plays it. :spider:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love Wiki based websites. They are easy to use and navigate, easy to add stuff, look "clean" (no dark backgrounds :D) and work really really well.

However why bother when there is UOGuide already there which has a wealth of information already and is already setup and established?

Surely making a "stratics wiki" would mean somebody basically copying all the information already on UOGuide and then adding the more up to date stuff?

I know UOGuide seems to have slipped a bit. I mean not updated as much as it used to be (sorry if this is incorrect) its just my passing observation.

Can't Stratics buy UOGuide or maybe work along side with them? that would make far more sense. Just add to information that is already there.

I understand wanting to have a Stratics own product as you would have full control over it. This makes sense to me. It just seems like a lot of hard work when there is already a product that is out there.

Kinda makes me think about when Apple released Apple Maps when there was already Google maps out there. Which one do you use?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Kinda makes me think about when Apple released Apple Maps when there was already Google maps out there. Which one do you use?
Bing Maps.

Now there's also this to think about, if there isn't competition there is no drive to improve.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can't Stratics buy UOGuide or maybe work along side with them? that would make far more sense. Just add to information that is already there.
This pretty well sums up my thoughts on the matter. Startics is awesome for the forums and a couple of other resources and UOGuide is the go-to wiki style knowledge base, it just needs more updating. I think the pie-in-the-sky best case scenario is Broadsword providing resources to merge UOGuide into a semi-official Stratics wiki and fill it out with playguides and official input for things like game mechanic formulas and specific details.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This pretty well sums up my thoughts on the matter. Startics is awesome for the forums and a couple of other resources and UOGuide is the go-to wiki style knowledge base, it just needs more updating.
Agreed. When I returned to UO a few years back I did all my main research using UOGuide and then posted any questions on Stratics.

I also think some kind of auction addon/plugin for stratics would be AMAZING! but that's a whole new thread + topic!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Leave it to UOGuide.
I just checked out your ravenant site. It's a ghost town, focus on that.

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with DJAd, 2 wiki pages for one game is bit too much, especially when UO is slowly dying game..

Articles are great addition, and new styles should also work good i think. Promote this and hope Stratics will have stable user base.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I love the idea. The only hang up for me is that there is so much information that some players seem to have access to that I have no idea where they get it. Like stats on monsters that can't be lored.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I got a warning for my assumed "troll post" , you got a Like, and by The Man :p As to the wiki, I think it's a good idea, as long as it doesn't end up being 1 persons input on everything UO.
That will depend on community involvement... But the response so far seems to indicate that plenty of people are willing to help. I hope everyone would participate to create a robust and well thought out database.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

The author of the add-on we are considering is building an importer, but it is not ready yet. In the meantime it would probably be manual entry or copying and updating Stratics stuff. Stratics could screen for copied content from uoguides.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be interesting if the information in the wiki is presented by a game character talking to someone he's teaching to do something in as much of an in-character fashion as possible. It would need to include some OOC moments, but could be done. Might help the reader slip into the game world their about to travel, instead of just being a page of information presented to them. :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love to hear your feedback on a Stratics Wiki. This wiki feature would be fully integrated with the forums, allowing you to use your normal forum account to read and edit. It would be open to contributions from all members, but all contributions would be moderated (similar to the article system) so we wouldn't have to worry about spam or inappropriate revisions. Many have suggested this feature would be beneficial, but now it is game time. Tell me your thoughts.
Moderated submissions only works if there's someone actively paying attention to approving it, and without any favoritism.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Might be interesting if the information in the wiki is presented by a game character talking to someone he's teaching to do something in as much of an in-character fashion as possible. It would need to include some OOC moments, but could be done. Might help the reader slip into the game world their about to travel, instead of just being a page of information presented to them. :)
That's a really cool idea.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This is a fantastic idea. I would love see some articles.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is a fantastic idea. I would love see some articles.
I like the idea too. I just think this has been done not so well in the past. We've had very well written stories and it's a lot harder to keep up with the data as it changes if it's written like a story. Especially for wiki sites that have more than one contributor on a page. What I'd like to see is each page maybe have a SHORT flavor introduction not going into the mechanics or the how-to train type things and then get into the mechanics. When you do these in character stories it leads to multiple pages on the same topic.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I love Wiki based websites. They are easy to use and navigate, easy to add stuff, look "clean" (no dark backgrounds :D) and work really really well.

However why bother when there is UOGuide already there which has a wealth of information already and is already setup and established?

Surely making a "stratics wiki" would mean somebody basically copying all the information already on UOGuide and then adding the more up to date stuff?

I know UOGuide seems to have slipped a bit. I mean not updated as much as it used to be (sorry if this is incorrect) its just my passing observation.

I understand wanting to have a Stratics own product as you would have full control over it. This makes sense to me. It just seems like a lot of hard work when there is already a product that is out there.

I'm with you. Why are we reinventing the wheel?

Jc the builder has already done an excellent job with UOGUIDE. Why waste more hours?

Historically people who devoted their time for years to providing information to other players only ended up as a profit margin for someone else.

This coupled with the uncertainty that they cAnt even comfortably say this game will be open in 5 years.

While I appreciate the notion of a wiki, it's too little too late.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm with you. Why are we reinventing the wheel?

Jc the builder has already done an excellent job with UOGUIDE. Why waste more hours?

Historically people who devoted their time for years to providing information to other players only ended up as a profit margin for someone else.

This coupled with the uncertainty that they cAnt even comfortably say this game will be open in 5 years.

While I appreciate the notion of a wiki, it's too little too late.
I like UOGuide, but new players can't register. I've tried multiple times and there are a lot of mistakes on the website it won't allow you to correct. The difference between Wowhead and UOGuide is huge. And the game will definitely be open in 5 years. It was never meant to have more than 20k players and 10% of that on each shard. It will ALWAYS turn a profit so why drop it?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I like UOGuide, but new players can't register. I've tried multiple times and there are a lot of mistakes on the website it won't allow you to correct. The difference between Wowhead and UOGuide is huge. And the game will definitely be open in 5 years. It was never meant to have more than 20k players and 10% of that on each shard. It will ALWAYS turn a profit so why drop it?
I can't speak for UOGUIDE but the amount of information it has would take a LONG time to replicate. Unless you cut and paste then what's the point?

As far as being here in five years you are much more confident than the developers who avoided the question altogether.

But if people want to be information slaves for someone else's wallet be my guest. I'll pass.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I can't speak for UOGUIDE but the amount of information it has would take a LONG time to replicate. Unless you cut and paste then what's the point?

As far as being here in five years you are much more confident than the developers who avoided the question altogether.

But if people want to be information slaves for someone else's wallet be my guest. I'll pass.
Thankfully, the world has people in it that aren't so negative and things can get done for the betterment of the world or for UO in this case.

It's a hobby, not a job. And some people enjoy writing up stuff. It's good practice and it calms me to do spreadsheets and things of information. I even planned out the quickest way to get all of the plants of every color not using the bug from scratch recently. Found it very relaxing... It's not on an existing stratics/UOGuide article.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

You could cut and paste from the old Stratics Guides and update those in the process...

I also found a potential way to import the WordPress content from Stratics into the Xenforo forum based wiki. I haven't attempted or tested it, but it may be possible. This would be a great way to get a large amount of content moved. Unfortunately, as many are aware, the oldest parts of the Stratics Guides are not built in WordPress. The older parts would require cut and paste operations. People would be allowed to do that, or just create an entirely new version if it was easier. Cut and paste from UOGuides.com would not be allowed.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thankfully, the world has people in it that aren't so negative and things can get done for the betterment of the world or for UO in this case.

It's a hobby, not a job. And some people enjoy writing up stuff. It's good practice and it calms me to do spreadsheets and things of information. I even planned out the quickest way to get all of the plants of every color not using the bug from scratch recently. Found it very relaxing... It's not on an existing stratics/UOGuide article.
It isn't negativity. I like to rationalize what I devote my time to. Redundancy isn't one of them.

If you want to make a spreadsheet of plants that's cool and might even be useful.

I just like to use my time to more practical things. Excluding posting on here.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You could cut and paste from the old Stratics Guides and update those in the process...

I also found a potential way to import the WordPress content from Stratics into the Xenforo forum based wiki. I haven't attempted or tested it, but it may be possible. This would be a great way to get a large amount of content moved. Unfortunately, as many are aware, the oldest parts of the Stratics Guides are not built in WordPress. The older parts would require cut and paste operations. People would be allowed to do that, or just create an entirely new version if it was easier. Cut and paste from UOGuides.com would not be allowed.
Well man, my question would be why would this go to a wiki and not the current statics website?

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Well man, my question would be why would this go to a wiki and not the current statics website?
The benefit of the wiki would be that more people could contribute to keep things up to date. We have a limited number of volunteers on staff. Also, the older portions of Stratics are extremely burdensome to update because they are not accessible using a content management system. They are pieced together with html and php.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The benefit of the wiki would be that more people could contribute to keep things up to date. We have a limited number of volunteers on staff. Also, the older portions of Stratics are extremely burdensome to update because they are not accessible using a content management system. They are pieced together with html and php.
As a former staffer who used the old system - I have to say Ron Bron is right. While it could be possible to import everything from the old site into the current wordpress, it would be time consuming too with limited staff.

At the same time, you're assuming that community folks will update the wiki. I know UOGuide had/has a very small number of people who update the content compared to the actual number of users. Hell, i haven't even updated it and I use it, but it's because i chose to update my site first and then don't have time to update anything else. Same would be true here. My site would come first. For other people, playing the game or other things will come before updating a site they use.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I get it, but I'm thinking we will just go in circles on this.

I hope all goes well with the wiki.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like UOGuide, but new players can't register. I've tried multiple times and there are a lot of mistakes on the website it won't allow you to correct.
I just registered a new account and it worked fine. I have not gotten any reports about issues signing up for an account on UOGuide.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't answer the question I'm going to guess that NO I wouldn't simply because I'm not technically literate and honestly wouldn't know how. Not that I don't have a vast knowledge of UO, the history of UO and GL RP... and not that I don't have experience in gaining every skill to it's max, which I've done at least once for each skill. I also have a vast knowledge of the EC and Pinco's. Just am pretty clueless about website stuff. When I took computer programing our computers had a green screen and printed on dot matrix printers. I haven't done anything since which is going on 30 years.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I can't answer the question I'm going to guess that NO I wouldn't simply because I'm not technically literate and honestly wouldn't know how. Not that I don't have a vast knowledge of UO, the history of UO and GL RP... and not that I don't have experience in gaining every skill to it's max, which I've done at least once for each skill. I also have a vast knowledge of the EC and Pinco's. Just am pretty clueless about website stuff. When I took computer programing our computers had a green screen and printed on dot matrix printers. I haven't done anything since which is going on 30 years.
The good thing about this add-on is that you edit the articles just like you edit a forum post. No special coding knowledge necessary. It users a simple text editor and normal bbcode. So unless you are trying to build complicated format/templates, technical skill should not be an issue. We could probably build a couple templates for people to fill in as well.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The good thing about this add-on is that you edit the articles just like you edit a forum post. No special coding knowledge necessary. It users a simple text editor and normal bbcode. So unless you are trying to build complicated format/templates, technical skill should not be an issue. We could probably build a couple templates for people to fill in as well.
Well I'd be happy to help with whatever knowledge I have. I don't know how good I am at it. We'll see.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well I'd be happy to help with whatever knowledge I have. I don't know how good I am at it. We'll see.
That's the beauty of a wiki, everyone can contribute the knowledge they have an eventually you create something magnificent. I like to think of them as being similar to the old tradition of Quilting Circles, everyone has their section they work on and in the end you create a finished piece.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I took computer programing our computers had a green screen and printed on dot matrix printers. I haven't done anything since which is going on 30 years.
The wonderful days of programming in machine language, before all the futuristic fancy stuff came along. :party:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The wonderful days of programming in machine language, before all the futuristic fancy stuff came along. :party:
Code:
; Uses S-C Assembler variant.
; .or is origin
; .as is ASCII String
; .hs is Hex String
        .or $300
main    ldy #$00
.1      lda str,y
        beq .2
        jsr $fded ; ROM routine, COUT, y is preserved
        iny
        bne .1
.2      rts
str     .as "HELLO WORLD"
        .hs 0D00
Gotta love modern High Level Languages they make stuff like this almost non-existent.