• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Regarding EM's and Player Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This will be my last post in this thread because it has spiraled out of control as most do unfortunately. I will try to explain this as best as possible without taking sides or casting judgement as I should have done in the first place.

I wish that those that were upset that EMs did not assist on their shards would have teamed up with players where it did happen. It would have taken a large section of players that all agreed that it should be happening on ALL shards and not just some. The problem was that other things got brought up which always stir heated emotion in players. Instead of being able to possibly persuade Mesanna to make sure all shards players events were being assisted by EMs, there were a lot of people calling for it to end which seemed counter productive. Now, no shard's EMs are allowed to assist in player events.

Now in regards to Mesanna's new Event Assistant, while it is a step in the right direction, it is seeming lacking in functionality. I don't see how feasible it will be for ONE person to assist all shards fairly. I am not sure how many shards there are total and some may not request assistance but if just 1/2 of them request one event per shard, per month, that would take around 1/2 a month to do as long as all preparations could be done on the same day as the shard's assistance.

Then you have to look at the time zone differences, you have the Asian/Oceana Shards, the European Shards, and 3 different time zones in the North American Shards. That would be tough for just one person to handle. An event on a North American EST Shard at 7pm would be at 2-3am for a European player and I am not sure of time differences for the Asian Shards. A North American player would be running events in the early afternoon for European Shards. This makes it even more difficult.

I am not trying to take away that Mesanna offered a solution instead of just saying it won't happen but I foresee this causing even more issues with accusations of favoritism. It like trying to put a bandaid on a large gaping wound.

I took the accusations and nasty treatment of the Chessy EM's personally and I should not have done that as it is difficult to stay rational and level headed. I like UO, I like Mesanna and I like the EM program. I think the more prudent solution in this case would have been to make sure that EM's were assisting in player events. The EMs know their shards well and they know the active players that would be requesting assistance. It would be much easier for the existing EMs to work with the players rather than bringing in one new person who has no knowledge of the shard or its history. Take this for what it is worth.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Knowing the shard IS important. This player event coordinator is going to have to know shard lore on every shard to avoid contradicting what is already there.

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone,

I know a lot of you have been voicing your desires to have help with player events. Event Moderators have their own duties to attend to. No EM will be allowed to assist with player events but, I am going to hire one person with a title of Player Event Coordinator.

This person will be accepting events from players, I will send you their email when I hire someone and set them up. Please understand they will NOT give rewards for your events that is totally up to you as a player to provide those.

Please stay tuned to UO.COM for more details on this position.

Mesanna
@Mesanna I think this is a great idea, I really do, but in my opinion, one person will not be able to fill the requests, especially with the wide range between time zones. With 27 shards, if each shard only has 3 requests per month, that is 81 requests per month, but I am guessing the amount of requests will be MUCH larger. I am not sure if it would be possible to have maybe 1 full time and a couple of part time people to help them, or maybe even vetted volunteers to help the Player Event Coordinator.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Knowing the shard IS important. This player event coordinator is going to have to know shard lore on every shard to avoid contradicting what is already there.
The players running the events are in charge of that...the PEC is only there to help and do what the player asks.

If I'm working customer service at a store and someone comes in to pick up an order..I don't HAVE to know why they ordered it or what it's for..I just have to give them what they ordered....same thing applies here.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had to remove some content from this thread which contained violations of our rules of conduct. This thread will remain open for discussion... for now... if we can all act like adults respectfully voicing our opinion to one another about the game which we are extremely passionate for.

Do not troll. Do not attack. Watch your language.
Do not post content detrimental to the community.
Show respect at all times.

https://stratics.com/community/pages/rules/

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please, lets get over the Chessy stuff, there are other shards out there. I don't know what happened/didn't happen at an EM event there that may/may not have pissed someone/many people off.

At this point, I DO NOT CARE. This issue is about more than Chessy. Its time for those who continue to drag an unrelated incident, whether or not they want to admit its unrelated, to STOP.

This is about assistance for PLAYER EVENTS, nothing more. Cease trying to conflate matters.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
WAVES WHITE FLAG ON END OB A HELBARD
AND DAGGER BEHIND HIMZ BACK

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think what people fail to realize is that when most these EMs signed up, doing player events just wast part of the job description. Some EMs only do 1 event per month, it Cant be expected that they would reasonalbly be able and or willing to help with player events as well. (but agreed it would be nice)

In a perfect world, Mesanna could have ordered the current EMs to all assist with player events, but in reality she probably would have lost a number of EMs who simply dont have the time to devote like that. In lieu of having to re-hire and retrain many EMs, and disrupt the current devoted staff who are and have been doing a good job, this was a MUCH cleaner alternative.

We dont know how it will work yet, but its VERY good to see that a process / devoted person will be available now wheras before we had nothing. (i realize a few EMs did it, but i dont think we'll ever know if this was allowed, overlooked, encouraged, one way or another there was nothing official. no process available to all players)

Its a huge step up to having consistent program across all shards.

I agree, i would be mad too if i was getting something that was taken away and replaced by something new / unfamiliar, however am very glad that instead of simply enforcing her rule uniformly across all shards, Mesanna did the right thing and made the same opportunities available to all.

I for one am very interested in this and will be taking advantage of it when the position and application process is finalized.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
They can't do anything on their own. They aren't going to create content like EMs do, they are only going to help out with player events. How could they possibly do anything to contradict what is already there? They aren't adding lore, only spawning requested mobs (which I imagine will be limited) and temporarily locking down deco.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't rightfully give a damn WHO helps with player events... EM's or someone new. I only hope that what they are able to lock down has timers so my shard doesn't become some junkyard over time.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm back!!

Didn't you all miss me? :p

Joking aside, I had a little time to think while I bowled by strikes and spares.

Why are we arguing in the first place? Like seriously.
This was just a brief, VERY BRIEF, description of what is to come. Yes, Mesanna hinted at only being one PEC but lets face it, she might hire more. In fact, from the sound of her post, she hasn't even hired one yet.

After all, she did say keep your eye on UO.com for more info.

So.. why are we arguing over spilled milk when in fact the milk hasn't been spilled yet. I think we all need to get off of the computer, go pop some popcorn, sit in front of the TV, & watch some netflix. Because arguing over something that hasn't happened yet is quite ridiculous. And I admit, I've taken part in this argument. So... I'm going to watch some Netflix!

Toodles!

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I don't rightfully give a damn WHO helps with player events... EM's or someone new. I only hope that what they are able to lock down has timers so my shard doesn't become some junkyard over time.
This I can agree with. I hope if they aren't timered that part of the PEC's job is to cleanup after!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Also can someone help me out on how to delete stratics accounts? please?
Well you could PM me and let me know why you want it deleted and we can go from there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Avengers! Mwahahaha.

Still good, no matter how many times you see it. (matter of opinion of course).
Me old episodes of CSI:NY... Still like them.

I'm still glad Mesanna is entertaining this idea. I'm sure there is a whole world of discussion going on about what exactly this will entail.... what they are and are not allowed to do... etc...

It's a hopeful thing. I just want to say @Mesanna Thank you for taking the time to consider this and come up with what I am hoping is a brilliant solution... Hopefully this will be just what's needed to bring community and life back to UO.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, most cross sharders don't cause the havoc you see. I attended the Europa event recently and it was EUROPA PLAYERS that were harassing their own EM. Not to mention this happens on every server. So don't blame cross sharders for things that people of their own shards do. So much negativity now adays. So many people complaining yet don't offer up a single idea for a solution.
Just for the record - those few Europa players who were abusing the EM do it regularly, along with luring, scamming, disrupting and destroying player and EM events, have posted videos and images of themselves using cheats and hacks - they have been paged on, reported many times by many people, Mesanna is well aware of who they are, she's not only been messaged and emailed with all this, she has seen them disrupt events she was actually present at (yet seemed not to notice what was going on), knows they abuse EMs and Advisors ... they do this stuff on other shards as well, and yet she does absolutely nothing to stop them. Apparently she 'can't'. So she says.....

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless these co-ordinators have powers to stop the abuse and disruption of events, they will be of very limited use, and just end up being yet more targets for the griefers.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Unless these co-ordinators have powers to stop the abuse and disruption of events, they will be of very limited use, and just end up being yet more targets for the griefers.
No

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! The last 'Player Event' thread was ambiguously locked with a "This thread is done" Message with no real reason given why and then lo and behold two days later Messana comes out with this.

And youre telling me Stratics isnt in the pocket of EA and does as its told? I call BS. The last thread obviously exposed EM's breaking the rules and doing their own thing and EA didnt like it. It seems stratics was told to lock the thread until EA cobbled together a half assed response (which doesnt actually actually admit the EM's favouritism and rulebreaking but its plain to see) to try and cover up the situation. Disgraceful.

Will make no difference as this new "p;layer event EM" will still play the favouritism game, if it even gets off the ground.

Messana ... youre worse than any of them. Nothing more than an EA spin doctor.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see no where that Mesanna said that no one is aloud to invite a EM to their player event. All I see is the EMs are not allowed to use their EM powers at player events.Want the EMs there invite them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've often invited the EM's to events after-all as a part of the realm wouldn't you invite the King to the play at the Theatre? Of course you would.

I don't see this person as a police... I see them setting up what needs setting up and then taking it down after.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because certain people here went about it backwards. Instead of requesting that all shards EMs be permitted to support player events - which would be a BETTER situation for everyone - certain individuals decided to whine and cry about what other shards were getting and demand it be stopped instead - resulting in a WORSE situation. But then we know what their REAL agenda was anyway and it certainly wasn't anything to do with a fight for fairness.
Sounds to me like another incompetent cannot figure out how to do enough damage to get event items and is hurt :(

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm back!!

Didn't you all miss me? :p

Joking aside, I had a little time to think while I bowled by strikes and spares.

Why are we arguing in the first place? Like seriously.
This was just a brief, VERY BRIEF, description of what is to come. Yes, Mesanna hinted at only being one PEC but lets face it, she might hire more. In fact, from the sound of her post, she hasn't even hired one yet.

After all, she did say keep your eye on UO.com for more info.

So.. why are we arguing over spilled milk when in fact the milk hasn't been spilled yet. I think we all need to get off of the computer, go pop some popcorn, sit in front of the TV, & watch some netflix. Because arguing over something that hasn't happened yet is quite ridiculous. And I admit, I've taken part in this argument. So... I'm going to watch some Netflix!

Toodles!
There are problems with the player events and em events...we are asking for changes. EM events and player events are important to UO.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are problems with the player events and em events...we are asking for changes. EM events and player events are important to UO.
??
I am pretty sure that this thread was not started by someone asking for changes.
I believe this thread was simply a very clear and concise declaration about a new position created.
I also believe that all the helplessly addicted drama queens with no rl then turned it into a soap opera

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
??
I am pretty sure that this thread was not started by someone asking for changes.
I believe this thread was simply a very clear and concise declaration about a new position created.
I also believe that all the helplessly addicted drama queens with no rl then turned it into a soap opera
As you fuel the fire

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! The last 'Player Event' thread was ambiguously locked with a "This thread is done" Message with no real reason given why and then lo and behold two days later Messana comes out with this.

And youre telling me Stratics isnt in the pocket of EA and does as its told? I call BS. The last thread obviously exposed EM's breaking the rules and doing their own thing and EA didnt like it. It seems stratics was told to lock the thread until EA cobbled together a half assed response (which doesnt actually actually admit the EM's favouritism and rulebreaking but its plain to see) to try and cover up the situation. Disgraceful.

Will make no difference as this new "p;layer event EM" will still play the favouritism game, if it even gets off the ground.

Messana ... youre worse than any of them. Nothing more than an EA spin doctor.
Not that I need to share my reasoning with you over why a thread was locked, the last thread was a one way bash session against folks who are not able to defend themselves. We were not "told" to do anything. If a thread falls out of control with multiple violations of our RoC, there is a pretty good chance it will end up locked. If you want to place the blame on someone, blame me.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not that I need to share my reasoning with you over why a thread was locked, the last thread was a one way bash session against folks who are not able to defend themselves. We were not "told" to do anything. If a thread falls out of control with multiple violations of our RoC, there is a pretty good chance it will end up locked. If you want to place the blame on someone, blame me.
And yet you felt the need to share it with me anyway.

As far as whose decision it was to lock the thread is concerned, well you would say that wouldnt you. Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

And as a side note, any forum mod worth their salt (on any online forum, I'm not talking about stratics) would never close a thread with "this thread is done". It smacks of elitism and ego. That sort of moderation is most likely one of the reasons the last lot of mods on here got the chop, and rightly so. A simple, courteous line of explanation to the user base is all that is required.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna is hiring someone to help - sounds liek a good plan to me
It's a good start, but we already have people in place capable of doing this already. One person for every shard is not going to work in the long run. One person simply can not support the entire player base. There are requests that have been submitted (as requested by Mesanna) to fix several minor things on our shard for probably more than 5 years now. If any one on the dev team can fix it in roughly 30 minutes... why the long wait?

The new event coordinator is a good idea, but we honestly need 1 per server, or maybe even 1 per 5 servers. The EMs are already on payroll, they know the system, they know the lore better than any of us, so why not just expand their job description to also include this?

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Afternoon everyone,

Reading through this thread just makes me shake my head in disbelief. So let me try to be really clear with that I am saying. The EMs are hired to do 2 events a month each, with documentation, sending docs, and decorating for it, it takes a good bit of time to do an event the right way.

These are the guidelines players need to follow to get assistance:
1. Send event write up to [email protected] and [email protected], we will need a detailed description of what you need us to do to assist with your event. We can assist with locking down decorative items and providing light monster spawn.
2. Send the document 7 days in advance.
3. The Player Event Coordinator (PEC) will lock down items for approx. 1 week, after which they will decay. Please do not give them items that you want to keep.
4. The Player Event Coordinator will work with players and governors to help set up events.
5. All Player events submitted with automatically be posted on Facebook
.6. EM's will continue to do Player Memorials and Weddings.

As for the Governors, we are still trying to put together libraries of areas to build for the Governors to have to choose from. If the Governor would like to have a building or area built that will be used please express your desire to the EM and they will inform us. Please know that any structure built will then be added to the library and available for any of the governors to use on any shard.

This decision in no way is to stop the EM's from interacting or communicating with their player base. They will continue with the relationship they have with the shard players.

Mesanna

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Good Afternoon everyone,

Reading through this thread just makes me shake my head in disbelief. So let me try to be really clear with that I am saying. The EMs are hired to do 2 events a month each, with documentation, sending docs, and decorating for it, it takes a good bit of time to do an event the right way.

These are the guidelines players need to follow to get assistance:
1. Send event write up to [email protected] and [email protected], we will need a detailed description of what you need us to do to assist with your event. We can assist with locking down decorative items and providing light monster spawn.
2. Send the document 7 days in advance.
3. The Player Event Coordinator (PEC) will lock down items for approx. 1 week, after which they will decay. Please do not give them items that you want to keep.
4. The Player Event Coordinator will work with players and governors to help set up events.
5. All Player events submitted with automatically be posted on Facebook
.6. EM's will continue to do Player Memorials and Weddings.

As for the Governors, we are still trying to put together libraries of areas to build for the Governors to have to choose from. If the Governor would like to have a building or area built that will be used please express your desire to the EM and they will inform us. Please know that any structure built will then be added to the library and available for any of the governors to use on any shard.

This decision in no way is to stop the EM's from interacting or communicating with their player base. They will continue with the relationship they have with the shard players.

Mesanna
THX FER CLARIFCASHUN

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes Thank You Mesanna for clarification! Saved me a whole lot of reading going to the Dev's board this a.m.!

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sshhhh, they are going to create an entity used by the EMs. A folly character. When things go south, no EM will be at blame.

The Math: 27 shards maybe 20 active enough to run one event a month, maybe 8 of those would want to do 2 events a month , maybe half those have enough active players to run more then 2 events a month, non of those shards wanting to run events only on the weekends.

Yup = 1 heathen willing to work on Sundays should fill that job easy. LOL

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a problem with hiring people who play the game, everyone here is going to have their favorite guild(s) or friend(s) they'd help before anyone else.
Not everyone. There a few that understand that fairness trumps kissing anyone's ass. There are the loners that have no desire to win a popularity contest. Just want whats is best for this game's worldly health. There are even those that still play after all their friends quit and the guilds faded out.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a problem with hiring people who play the game, everyone here is going to have their favorite guild(s) or friend(s) they'd help before anyone else.
Not true I have no favorites guild(s) or friend(s) I treat everyone the same. As I tell my nieces I hate everyone equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.