• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Making money these days

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I've been away for 10 years and things sure have changed.

What's the best way to make money nowadays?
Selling manufactured goods?
Selling rares? Seems to be a big rares auction from time to time.

How are the prices? Good stuff around millions I assume?

I have a Tamer/Bard/Mage.

Thanks

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well if you have really old items, even if you think its junk , they can worth millions, so dont throw them away until someone you trust can price check them. If you dont know anyone right now, i can help you sorting them for free.
Im well known in Europa, so you can ask here if you want about me, if you decide me to help you.

About making money nowdays, the easier and faster is mining, ingots worth a lot nowdays and always are in demand because the new whole crafting system (imbuing, reforging, etc). The only ML gems that sells really good are turquoise, but you can sell all others for a right price too.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
OK thanks for the info.

I'm not sorting items yet, but that's good to know. Guess I'll get my miner cracking then ;)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do the EM events on europa and any other shard if you have the time!!!..best on a tamer with Greater dragon...and hope to hit an event drop form the battles...they can sell form upwards of 2-300m ...sometime much much more....KERCHING!

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Do the EM events on europa and any other shard if you have the time!!!..best on a tamer with Greater dragon...and hope to hit an event drop form the battles...they can sell form upwards of 2-300m ...sometime much much more....KERCHING!
Thanks for the reply. I see some things are brutally expensive...that didn't change, actually :)

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
valorite ingots always sell but hard to get last time i had some i sold 1.5m per 1000 soo good gold just time consuming to get 1000 val ingots

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not been mining for ages. But if it's as bad as woodcutting, I've had perhaps 5000 "good" coloured wood from nearly 400,000 normal wood.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, nowdays colored wood sint useful except heartwood for sampire suits and ash for archery, but theres almost no use for all other types. That need some type of revamp, like a bod system for it or something like that, but nowdays wasting time gathering wood isnt profitable. :(

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's strange. I always found lumberjacking very relaxing and mining very stressful and frustrating, while in essence it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

And Theron, I'd vouch for RaistlinNowhere as a good person to appraise your old stuff. He's a very honest and trustable guy. Another suggestion would be to try out Brit bank around 6pm most nights. There is a gathering of people there who I'm sure would be able to offer you good advice.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst thing about lumber, you're completely at the mercy of the terrain whereas for mining there are BOD rewards to improve the ore type as you mine, and alchemy 'quests' in Ter Mur to upgrade low level colours (dull copper to gold, shadow iron to agapite etc). And ingots can be recycled, and have more uses... so definitely mining over lumberjacking, unless I'm *really* bored ;)

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I do have a Tailor/Miner/Blacksmith so I guess she'll be my main source of income.

And now I'm reading about Imbuing? Seems like it's new, but I guess not vital for me.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbuing its vital for crafting nowdays, EVERYTHING need imbuing now.
Nowdays, imbuing is the base skill for crafting, but its easy now to train it , because you gain % with unravel, but at the beginning, when i raised it, you had to train it only imbuing and imbuing all over again hehe. It was PAINFUL, BORING, and EXPENSIVE hehe.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well that leaves me in a bind!

My character has the following:

Tailoring: 105, going to 120
Blacksmith: 100, going to 105 at least
Mining: 100 and locked
Alchemy: 100 and locked
Tinkering: 87.2
Magery: 63.5

Now the thing is that after 10 years I don't remember anymore what my goal was here, except that the character was intended to be a Tailor.

I remember some things:
Tailoring to go to 120: this is my primary activity here so I would be able to make some good leather armors for my Tamer/Bard/Mage. I also enjoy the skill by itself :)
Blacksmith: can't remember what I wanted here, but probably wanted to go to 120 as well. I guess it was to make armors and weapons in general and sell.
Mining: Well I need it for blacksmithing and to sell the ingots as well, but locked it at 100, I guess I didn't see any point going to 120 with it as I could get all kinds of ores anyway.
Alchemy: I started this one to make my own potions and to sell. Again I think I didn't see a point going over 100 skill with this.
Tinkering: Can't remember this one at all. I think it was to make my own mortar&pestle and kegs, but I can't remember anymore...maybe to make pendant of the magi and stuff like that.
Magery: don't remember what I wanted here exactly. I think it was just to mark runes, probably also to be able to recall. I don't think it needs to go to 100, but right now I don't know what to do with it.

And now it's all a big mess in which I can't really remember more that what I wanted to to with most skills...I think this will take lots of time and for now I'm not touching anything.

I might drop Inscription to get Imbuing, I guess, as that seems to be the least useful for me...altough those mage books with stats do look tempting....darn it!!!

Any thoughts? Maybe I should post this in the appropriate forum as well...

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're going to need to fit armslore on that template too, and I'd suggest you go full 120 for smithing too.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would replace Alchemy and Inscription with Armslore and Imbuing. Moving them to another character via soulstones if you can.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for why you want Armslore. Here is the explanation. Was changed in 2007 (really doesn't seem that long ago!).

• Gives a +1% Damage Increase bonus to all exceptionally crafted weapons for every 20 skill points (up to +5% at Grandmaster).
  • Gives +1% in a random resistance on exceptionally crafted armor for every 20 skill points (up to +5% at Grandmaster)
    • these bonuses apply to all crafted weapons (metal or wood) and armors (leather, metal, and wood);
    • these bonuses stack, or combine, with properties imparted by Runic Tools.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I would replace Alchemy and Inscription with Armslore and Imbuing. Moving them to another character via soulstones if you can.
Dropping alchemy doesn't sound too appealing a the moment...what about dropping tinkering? Is tinkering that good nowadays that i should keep it?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you'll need some tinkering to make your tools. You don't have to drop Alchemy you could put it onto a soulstone. Red soulstones are a first year vet reward if you have any unclaimed rewards. Green ones come from legacy tokens bought from Origin Store or you may find someone with a 5 use fragment.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
you'll need some tinkering to make your tools. You don't have to drop Alchemy you could put it onto a soulstone. Red soulstones are a first year vet reward if you have any unclaimed rewards. Green ones come from legacy tokens bought from Origin Store or you may find someone with a 5 use fragment.
Would I need tinkering at 100? Because, for example, Magery I can probably keep at 40-50? Maybe could do the same with tinkering?

Is Alchemy that useless now?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In reality you need at least two crafters. But that's not always possible for everyone, especially with only one account.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would make another char.. and stone off what u don't need. If no room just toss it on a char u don't use much.. and just make it fit.. like dropping med or focus ... those are less pain then alchy to raise

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
So assuming I have 2 characters for this what skills should I normally use for them?

Something like this?

Tailor (current):
Tailoring: 120
Blacksmith: 120
Mining: 100
Tinkering: 100
Arms Lore: 100
Imbuing: 100
Magery: 80

New Character
Alchemy: 100
Magery:80-100
What else?

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbuing: 120 <- you need 120 here
Magery: 60

These are the skills that my crafter have, wearing a book from tokuno which have +15 magery and +15 skill on ring and brac, so it makes a total of 105 magery

For the second char i would add carpentry (for sampire armor) , lumberjacking and fletching.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For flexibility, you may want a carpenter to be an elf - with some imbued jewelry, the singing axe, and the elf-only 'Song Woven Mantle' you can get the required 45 musician skill to make instruments.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Imbuing: 120 <- you need 120 here

These are the skills that my crafter have, wearing a book from tokuno which have +15 magery and +15 skill on ring and brac, so it makes a total of 105 magery

For the second char i would add carpentry (for sampire armor) , lumberjacking and fletching.
Would I also need Arms Lore and Imbuing for this second character? Because if not I would still be missing 120 worth of skill to insert...

It should be something like this?
Carpentry: 100
Lumberjacking: 100
Fletching: 100
Magery: 100
???????: 100 or 120

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Armslore works with all skills with which you can make weapons and armor. So if you want to make bows and wooden armor, yes you will need it

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Armslore works with all skills with which you can make weapons and armor. So if you want to make bows and wooden armor, yes you will need it
But will I need Imbuing as well for this second character? Because if that's the case I might already be needing another 100-120 skill on this...lol

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, you can pass the items he makes to your other char to do the imbuing

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no no , imbuing in one char is enough. Imbuing is a way of crafting which you add mods to a piece

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
OK so right now I'm looking at these 2 templates:

Tailor (Human Character#1)
Imbuing: 120

Elf Character#2
Magery: 60-100
???????: 20-60 for something else...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you could consider meditation on the second character for writing scrolls?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
you could consider meditation on the second character for writing scrolls?
That might be a good idea. Would meditation need to be 100 skill? If so I'll get Magery only till 20 and try to get it higher with jewelry.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nah dont need 100, because you can always imbue mr into your crafting suit, and skill on jewels.

My crafter have a suit from shame, made of cursed, not reparable items, and its AMAZING hehe. But in your case can do it with imbue and will have enough (MR - int - LMC - luck)

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
nah dont need 100, because you can always imbue mr into your crafting suit, and skill on jewels.

My crafter have a suit from shame, made of cursed, not reparable items, and its AMAZING hehe. But in your case can do it with imbue and will have enough (MR - int - LMC - luck)
So I guess I can keep both Meditation and Magery at 60 skill?

Elf Character#2
Meditation: 60

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, just thinking... your alchemist will be useful for two subsets of your crafting, if you want to grow plants to get some seeds of renewal for the imbuing of regenerations, and/or to make the new stains and dyes - alchemy lets you make the dyes, and if you are going to grow the plants without buying the 'garden bed' Rustic pack addon, you will need the potions the alchemist makes to keep the plants alive :)

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ouch , true, forgot about the dyes because i use cooking for that XD
Dyes can make a nice profit, more than people can think hehe.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
So I guess that's it! These will be the final templates:

Human Character#1
Imbuing: 120

Elf Character#2
Meditation: 60

Thanks a lot for the help!

I'll still need to find the crystal that will allow me to transfer 100 skill of Alchemy from one character to another, so I won't do it right now but will start on it soon.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would do the first char a garg due to imbuing bonus and flying, but others like to be human due to carrying more weight. It depends on you.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I would do the first char a garg due to imbuing bonus and flying, but others like to be human due to carrying more weight. It depends on you.
The thing is Character#1 already exists and has:
Tailoring: 105, going to 120
Blacksmith: 100, going to 120
Mining: 100 and locked
Alchemy: 100 and locked
Tinkering: 87.2
Magery: 63.5

Now I just need a crystal to get the Alchemy into Character#2 which will be the real new one.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theron. I've got a soul stone fragment for you. It's only a 5 use soulstone, but it'll do the job for you to get started at least. You in game now? I'll wait at Brit bank for the next 15-20 mins or so in case you are and read this.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Theron. I've got a soul stone fragment for you. It's only a 5 use soulstone, but it'll do the job for you to get started at least. You in game now? I'll wait at Brit bank for the next 15-20 mins or so in case you are and read this.
Ah...depends on the price, it must be fairly expensive, right?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the soul stone!

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally would say arms lore is only useful for armour, as the resists don't affect imbuing caps, whereas on weapons it just takes DI from 40 to 45 which could be imbued - or have I missed something? So arms lore only needed on the character with tailoring, blacksmithy and carpentry, not fletching or tinkering.

Inscription used to give a bonus to spell damage so I keep it on my mage, maybe he's living too much in the past though...

If you end up with a spare skill slot, cooking has some interesting items now such as fish pies if you have High Seas :) and grapes of wrath, enchanted apples etc

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
OK thanks. I guess I should be fine then.

I am wondering if I need "Stygian Abyss" for Imbuing or not, because the latest expansion I have is "Mondains Legacy". I was thinking of getting Stygian Abyss, but I'm a bit confused on why I can see two different prices on the Origin website. One is about 15€ and the other one is about 22€. No idea what the difference is from the descriptions...I guess I can't just upgrade my account on the Mythic website where I manage my account, right?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Jonathen Yes, you could imbue the damage - but that leaves you one imbue slot less for other properties.

@Theron The Origin description is less than helpful on that item.Since you already have an active account the one you need is the less expensive one with the description
Ultima Online:™ Stygian Abyss Expansion Pack (UPGRADE ONLY). This will supply you with an upgrade code which you will need to enter into the account management site usint the 'activate a key' option

The more costly one is needed only if you are starting a new account.
You do need that expansion if you plan to train imbuing