• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] POLL-Does the current Em drop system need revamping?

Does the current EM item Drop system need to revamped until class balance is corrected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

onlinegamerstone

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Like I said in the other thread I think they should seperate the two things.
It´s obvious by the replies in these threads that most, if not all, people that want the system to remain as it is are the ones that is only interested in the items and not the event itself.

Make the events item free and let people who actually enjoy the work the EMs put in enjoy them.
And then find another system for weekly or monthly item drops.
So your solution is to bring events back to 6 people doing them because you cant get a drop?

I'm sure that will really help the game.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You must´ve confused my post with someone elses...

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you everyone who voted here. I do believe we made a point and changes are on the way. Also want to thank Alexander for cooling me down at one point to keep this civil. I am not going to keep this bumped after this reply as I think the trend is obvious what the majority wants (not to say you guys cant keep this going). Thanks to Nails for fine tuning what we started in another poll. Again thanks for your support and hope to see you all at events in the coming months.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHILE we are on the EM subject...were the hell did those neon pink valanitne cakes come from that were at the Europa rares festival en bulk??

darkvulf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thank you everyone who voted here. I do believe we made a point and changes are on the way. Also want to thank Alexander for cooling me down at one point to keep this civil. I am not going to keep this bumped after this reply as I think the trend is obvious what the majority wants (not to say you guys cant keep this going). Thanks to Nails for fine tuning what we started in another poll. Again thanks for your support and hope to see you all at events in the coming months.
How do you know changes are on the way?

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rumors in the wind
Someone from Broadsword confirmed that changes are going to take place later this month to a Major Collector. From what this collector told me was that it will become a random drop instead of top damage. Mesanna must run a tight ship! There are only a handful of Major Collectors, I am sure you all will figure out who it is.

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHILE we are on the EM subject...were the hell did those neon pink valanitne cakes come from that were at the Europa rares festival en bulk??
They was taken from a EM event when the EM was setting up someone took them before he/she could lock them down haha

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This!! was allowed to happen?? why didnt the EM simple take them back.....whiffs a wrong un'

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well its certainly tainted.... EM not locking down a heap of neon cakes then just allowing someone to stroll by take them and not do anything???? wtf.....retraining maybe???

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This!! was allowed to happen?? why didnt the EM simple take them back.....whiffs a wrong un'
And how exactly is an EM supposed to just "Take them back"?

It has happened throughout history, they go to lock something down, either forget or a player yanks it before they can. Hardly a call of "corruption" unless the EM is doing it over and over, and a KNOWN guildmate keeps being the one to pick it up *cough Monty cough*.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pretty sure they can be deleted by a GM or EM if they have been taken illegaly or wrongfully

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
pretty sure they can be deleted by a GM or EM if they have been taken illegaly or wrongfully
Except they cant. EMs have never had that power, and that is out of the jurisdiction of a GM. Deleting items is usually left up to Mesanna, and in past history players are usually allowed to keep such items as long as the item isnt gamebreaking or play altering.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Lets get this thread back on topic...

I am going to go ahead and call BS on both rumors that have been started here by lineman and skittles. Discussing such info would be in the sense giving someone the heads up to prepare for changes before the MAJORITY of everyone else can. Insider Trading? Really? You think that this information would be leaked to a high level collector and not the rest of the community? What would be the point of that? Why would this collector get special privileges over the rest of us? What you are doing right now is using scare tactics in a desperate attempt to influence everyone so you can get your way. What if people begin to change their templates and spend money on items based on this "Rumor" AND IT NEVER COMES TO FRUITION? Now you just gone and made people spend gold on things they didn't need in the first place. If the GMs/EMs or any other kind of authoritative figure of UO is willing to discuss upcoming changes (not just small changes but changes that will change the entirety of how events work) with a select few before making this information public were ACTUALLY HAPPENING...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US SHOULD BE IRATE!

I mean do we really need to call in the occupiers and start a new campaign? Occupy Sosaria?

Where the hell is Anonymous when you need some video calling out the Elite to make me feel comforted???

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I am going to go ahead and call BS on both rumors that have been started here by lineman and skittles. Discussing such info would be in the sense giving someone the heads up to prepare for changes before the MAJORITY of everyone else can. Insider Trading? Really? You think that this information would be leaked to a high level collector and not the rest of the community? What would be the point of that? Why would this collector get special privileges over the rest of us? What you are doing right now is using scare tactics in a desperate attempt to influence everyone so you can get your way. What if people begin to change their templates and spend money on items based on this "Rumor" AND IT NEVER COMES TO FRUITION? Now you just gone and made people spend gold on things they didn't need in the first place. If the GMs/EMs or any other kind of authoritative figure of UO is willing to discuss upcoming changes (not just small changes but changes that will change the entirety of how events work) with a select few before making this information public were ACTUALLY HAPPENING...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US SHOULD BE IRATE!

I mean do we really need to call in the occupiers and start a new campaign? Occupy Sosaria?

Where the hell is Anonymous when you need some video calling out the Elite to make me feel comforted???
Your rant had nothing to do with the OP's topic, LOL. Great job getting this back on topic!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
back on topic then...

Oh well ....guess its wishfull thinking .....To wish i knew a EM then who would accidently leave me a boat load of cool looking neon items unlocked just a week b4 the next rares festival.....so i could take them to that rares fest and sell em for big gold so i could buy other amazing items with free gold....Oh well wishfull thinking over...I DONT!!

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You are very hard to understand in this, no offence. I think what you are getting at though is that myself and Skittles have concocted some plan to throw the community off for our evil plans. Yes you hit the NAIL on the head. Anyhow maybe the whistle blower will comment. If not I have left a hint in the post. Peace

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are very hard to understand in this, no offence. I think what you are getting at though is that myself and Skittles have concocted some plan to throw the community off for our evil plans. Yes you hit the NAIL on the head. Anyhow maybe the whistle blower will comment. If not I have left a hint in the post. Peace
NAILED, that was a good post Lineman. Also, that was another hint <----
Thanks to this certain individual people have already began preparing for this major change. Which isn't even fair to everyone else who does events.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First off, why would this person tell a small few and not anyone else? The person you guys are referring to didnt say anything about this to me or the people in our vent, which is why Im calling BS on this.

I 100% trust him, and I know he would tell me if this was actually legit.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to this certain individual people have already began preparing for this major change. Which isn't even fair to everyone else who does events.
"Nailed it on the head" is so cliché. We should all stop Warring each other and share a stein of beer together. :banana:

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So what you are saying is that lineman, Nails and you have direct conversations with UO employees about what is to come before it is released to the general public?? Hmmmm...

I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a little fishy, dontchathink? Why do you get these privileges and not I?? Hey GMs/EMs out there lurking on Stratics, do you care to provide any input on these "Rumors"? Cause if you are telling these guys things that are going to take place before making a public announcement I'd sure like to know why.

Or is there an email list I can sign up for????

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what you are saying is that lineman, Nails and you have direct conversations with UO employees about what is to come before it is released to the general public?? Hmmmm...

I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a little fishy, dontchathink? Why do you get these privileges and not I?? Hey GMs/EMs out there lurking on Stratics, do you care to provide any input on these "Rumors"? Cause if you are telling these guys things that are going to take place before making a public announcement I'd sure like to know why.

Or is there an email list I can sign up for????
You have to be part of the major collectors club or previously be guilded in a guild with Mesanna on Baja.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yea, this all sounds like it's complete and total BS straight outa Linemans mouth cause I don't think Mesanna would jeopardize her career over leaking some info about events to anyone. Or better yet, I don't think having the most pixels locked down and calling it a club would get you privilege info either...

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think having the most pixels locked down and calling it a club would get you privilege info either...
Really? I would like to continue with this quote but I think your agenda is to try and trash this thread up and I am not going to bite. Like Nails said keep on voting people

Xug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think people really need to consider the consequences of having a 'top x random drop' system. The biggest being that if you're not getting drops now you there's a good chance you still won't get them under a completely random system since you are not even getting looting rights on the bosses. It's going to be the same people getting them with slightly different distribution. Furthermore, a completely random system does not address template disparity at events with bards, pure mages, etc. who, in reality, never have a chance at getting 1/10 drops.

Support the "Any players who do an unknown arbitrary amount of damage to the final boss will get a reward DIP." Everyone wins.
What will be even better will be the amount of spellweavers sitting AFK until it is word of death range seeing as it wouldn't take much to get looting rights with just a few at the end. This is an awful idea and will only prolong the events. You will see fewer dragons to tank monsters because who wants to heal a dragon the entire time when you can simply word of death or do a few flame strikes to get looting rights. Do you enjoy spending 30+ minutes killing a monster? You will see a good amount of throwers who hit a monster for maybe a few minutes and then hide until it dies. But hey, let's reward the lazy and "less fortunate" rather than those that strive to better themselves in a competitive video game.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
But hey, let's reward the lazy and "less fortunate" rather than those that strive to better themselves in a competitive video game.
I think you misunderstand the entire point of events, if getting the drop is your only focus. You assume the goal of events is only to get items.

I have a 15 year old well developed character whom I play daily as well as occasionally use to RP. Why should I not bring him to an event which, at least on my shard (Chessie), most likely involves a good deal of RP within the shard's ongoing story arcs? Are you really saying I should completely rebuild his template and ditch my preferred character type (mage) simply to increase my chances of getting a drop, and that my not doing so can only be explained by 'laziness'?

PS: Re seeing less dragons... I can only say good! Then maybe I'll actually be able to see the end boss for once. :D

Xug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That's fine. You're more than welcome to attack it a few times and stop or wait till the end if you think that's 'good enough'. The reality is that it would be an unknown arbitrary damage so you would only be hurting yourself and your own chances.
I like your idea of X ammt of damage, my post was directed at all of the people that want drops to be random.

And to all of those saying they dont just go to events for drops, do you realize that all of these polls and threads are about item drops from events and not about the events themselves? :violin:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Olcher, I agree that something other than top damagers should be used. As I said, I'd rather see everyone in attendance receive a "momento" rather than a select few receive a drop. Thus noone ends up left out and template stops mattering. If that means 1/38 or 1/138, instead of 1/10 or 1/20, so be it. (The only problem might be one specific (likely) to some in this very thread; how to get you guys to stop multi-clienting? I don't mean even to prevent it, just you to voluntarily deciding to agree not to.)

This then goes to Xug's point. Xug, that's never been true in UO, even when it was seer quests or scenarios. There's always some possibility of a reward at the end; I guess what we're talking about is just making it so that 50 to 90% of the possibly rewards aren't always soaked up by the same few. An additional benefit to momentos, rather than limited drops: the end no longer *has* to be "kill the big boss". You can get far more creative when you don't have to work a story around "and then you killed the great and evil ____".

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you misunderstand the entire point of events, if getting the drop is your only focus. You assume the goal of events is only to get items.

I have a 15 year old well developed character whom I play daily as well as occasionally use to RP. Why should I not bring him to an event which, at least on my shard (Chessie), most likely involves a good deal of RP within the shard's ongoing story arcs? Are you really saying I should completely rebuild his template and ditch my preferred character type (mage) simply to increase my chances of getting a drop, and that my not doing so can only be explained by 'laziness'?

PS: Re seeing less dragons... I can only say good! Then maybe I'll actually be able to see the end boss for once. :D
if you have a mage with spellweaving, you should have a decent chance at a drop assuming sdi suit and top level focus. just trying to help.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Really? I would like to continue with this quote but I think your agenda is to try and trash this thread up and I am not going to bite. Like Nails said keep on voting people
I have no intention of derailing this thread...I have every intention of calling out a rumor and potential favoritism by UO authorities if it is in fact happening. Please, continue with my quote but I am pretty sure it had ended so your response is in fact pointless. Are you the sole person behind this "rumor" cause your "source" has not come forward to acknowledge or deny this "rumor" so as of right now I would say it is safe to assume you have been misled or are trying to manipulate your own thread to your own benefit. Please give me more than a one sentence response or I will safely assume your whole thread's point is to troll the general public with fear to try and make the opinions of the general public be skewed for the UO team to see in hopes of making things easier for you to get your pixels.

It's probably time for you to move on Lineman...

If you play events for the RPing aspect that is awesome, I truely do respect that and wish I had the imagination to be part of it. Seriously, no disrespect at all on my end is intended. But if you are in fact after the drop (to collect or sell) how can you not play a toon that can have a better chance at getting a drop while continuing the RP aspect of the event? As smoot said if you have SW it will greatly improve your chances, and in my opinion it will not interfere with you wanting to play a mage. If you want to play a pure mage, that is your choice. And you make that choice knowing the current event system...and IMO that is your downfall if you are actually after getting a drop. I play a SW mage because like you, I like playing a mage. I still get drops, probably not as much as the throwers or archers but I get them enough to keep me enjoying the aspects of the game that I enjoy.

So tell me why should we cater to those that enjoy playing specific templates that won't change them in ANY aspect because they simply don't want to? I am to be punished for building a template that not only works but I enjoy playing in MANY other aspect of the game???

But Aiden!! I want to play a DP cook with tracking that has no offensive capabilities; WHY? Because I want to, I enjoy it, it is fun! Oh and I expect to get a fair chance at a drop at every event.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Below is a post by the EM of Arirang clearly stating that top damage is the best option we currently have and it is NOT CHANGING! UH OH, there goes that rumor! Nice work Lineman!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

On a very positive note, this new system will reward everyone with a title system based on participation. From what I have read and understand it is still in it's development stages which means there is still time to become involved and voice your opinion on it. If you favor this new reward or you have another idea it might be time to head to your shards Stratics EM Page and begin discussing it. It is easier to change things that are in the development stages rather than waiting for it to be implemented! If it's not on your shard and you want it there, again, GO VOICE YOUR OPINION!! :) :)

New Participating Point System (Adventure Points)

So far, you could get rewards through the battle. Of course, this top attacker system is the only option you can have rewards and it won’t be change. This top attacker will be go on because it is the best way to determine who’s going to get rewards so far.

Nevertheless, what I am feeling sad is, lots of players who participating my events show their enthusiasm and active are sometimes failed to get the result of their efforts. Top attacker system is best system we’ve got but it is not perfect as every system has flaw. So I try to think about this system. This is, of course, a draft. And not yet approved. However, there are some shards which have similar system so I am trying to make one for my shard.

Therefore, I would like to hear your opinions of this system. About the current idea of it. The basic system mechanism that I am thinking is this:

Arirang: http://stratics.com/community/threads/4th-meet-and-greet.312398/

Napa Valley: http://stratics.com/community/threa...ew-promotion-system-starting-in-march.312397/

Baja: http://stratics.com/community/threads/kings-elite-town-guard.312503/

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So its been about a year since we got the change. (April 2014)

Interesting how things have played out.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrugs* I feel the 1 year mark is a sufficient time period to analyze the pros and cons. i agree its an improvement for the general player base target group for modern UO, but there are many complaints about exactly what opponents to the initial change predicted would happen.

in short, its not perfect and the goal of any game should be for constant improvement so I do feel its a good time to analyze the past year.

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
All I will say is that I'm glad it changed. It allows more people to partake in the events with them knowing they have an opportunity to get a drop compared to the old system of making sure you are skill capped, scrolled out, decked up with the most recent tweaked out melee dmg/spell damamge template.

POWER TO THE LITTLE MAN !!!!

:fight:

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i do think the system is fair as possible. there's only a few things that need to happen, one is one char per person at events too many multi accounts. second is only 1 to 3 drops not 10 or 20. it use to really mean something with such few drops. last is stop the cheating, more of my friends have left the game because of cheating than anything else in the game. I know none of these thing I just listed will be done. the events are supposed to be for fun. too much candy and crying. never ever thought people we be able to bring 2 to 10 chars, the lag and crashes that occur ruins the game play for many people. if people brought one char per person, others that have problems about system may like it. having more drops not the answer, people just bring more chars. hope they do something before game gets on steam lol.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I will say is that I'm glad it changed. It allows more people to partake in the events with them knowing they have an opportunity to get a drop compared to the old system of making sure you are skill capped, scrolled out, decked up with the most recent tweaked out melee dmg/spell damamge template.

POWER TO THE LITTLE MAN !!!!

:fight:
I agree, while there are flaws with the new system it still provides a chance for the highest amount of players, casual and power-gamer alike to participate. Because its not highly damage based it also allows players to make low level characters on shards that are not their "home shard" and enjoy the events with a chance at a reward.

While not my personal preference in what i value in gaming, its probably the best for UO in the games current state.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Nearly since the inception of Ultima Online there has been this very rare and unique system of hosting moderated events that provide entertainment and reward. Its a live interactive system that is open to interpretation depending on who the event moderator is. The system has evolved greatly from the original seers to the early moderating program to its current format today. It is my personal evaluation that this system works best when innovation and imagination are encouraged, and falters when it streamlines itself in cookie cutter fashion. Variety is the spice of life. Under the current system, players can easily prepare and predict how to get the reward without having to put much thought into the story-line, and thus SOME of the events have devolve into becoming apathetic and mundane. For the most part these events are no longer a source of inspiration to build onto the average player's gaming style. I had high hopes the Governor system would rectify this by empowering players to work in tandem with their event moderators that would personalize the events for each of its shards' players. Perhaps maybe the new PEC will make a difference. I can understand why things are the way they are now, but does that mean it has to stay this way? Can it not still evolve? I have always advocated for an above all strategy in the reward system that makes it slightly difficult to prepare for and predict, but by no means does it have to be impossible or confusing either. Employ current and old techniques, and perhaps try something new on occasion. Again these events are rare and unique among MMOs, so for that reason they should be highlighted, promoted, and cared for above many other features you can find in UO that can be found in any other MMO.