• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] POLL-Does the current Em drop system need revamping?

Does the current EM item Drop system need to revamped until class balance is corrected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MY PERSONAL OPINION, AND I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE BY SEAYING THIS:

THIS THREAD HAS HONESTLY LOST IT'S PURPOSE AND REALLY ISN'T NEEDED ANYMORE. TO FUTURE READERS... LOOK TO THE FIRST PAGE FOR MORE ADULTLIKE AND CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIZISM. IT SEEMS TO ME, THAT THE PAST 75+ POSTS ON THIS THREAD AND THE OTHER ONE HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT ARGUING GOING BACK AND FORTH. HOW DOES ANYONE EXPECT TO GET ANYTHING DONE OR FOR THE DEV TEAM TO EVEN CONSIDER THIS WHEN ALL THEY SEE IS A BUNCH OF USELESS BICKERING?

*RIPS HAIR OUT*
with all due respect this thread was made for nothing but bickering and arguing lol.

UltimatePower

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main problem is the endless amount of mana a gargoyle, chiv, necro,thrower has, to use for armor ignores. Using 40 necro and wraith form necro scrolls, a event thrower can do endless armor ignores, doing 250 to 300 per throw. Gaining back all the mana to do endless armor ignores, compile this with the people who mulitbot 2 or 3 each event. Perhaps they need to go after the base. Perhaps disable possible use of necro and chiv at the same time. or make it so wraith form cant be used from a scroll or make them have 100 spirit speak to be able to use wraith form. Just some ideas, everyone knows minimal skill necro thowers are cheating the system.

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main problem is the endless amount of mana a gargoyle, chiv, necro,thrower has, to use for armor ignores. Using 40 necro and wraith form necro scrolls, a event thrower can do endless armor ignores, doing 250 to 300 per throw. Gaining back all the mana to do endless armor ignores, compile this with the people who mulitbot 2 or 3 each event. Perhaps they need to go after the base. Perhaps disable possible use of necro and chiv at the same time. or make it so wraith form cant be used from a scroll or make them have 100 spirit speak to be able to use wraith form. Just some ideas, everyone knows minimal skill necro thowers are cheating the system.
Actually it's not a endless amount of mana, on slayer bosses/mobs you dont even need to be wraith to tap mana decently, but on non slayer bosses/mobs... sometimes form doesnt even make a difference.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The system is Flawed. It hasn't been balanced since they ruined it with the silly formula that EVERYONE knows does NOT work.

I can say this... playing in the EC I KNOW what damage I'm doing.... When I get a drop I can tell you that I'm not the TOP damager. I know that for a fact... I know I did good damage.. I know i took damage and I know I healed one or two but..... here are many of the "flaws".

I don't get "credit" ...... for healing when I rez people. This ticks me off because i do it quite often at EM events. It's my "Duty" as a Knight. I rez people because I am a Knight of Compassion, Sacrifice and everything else I can do..... So when I rez someone they are at 80% health... I don't NEED to heal them anymore I've already given them 80% healing... Yet I get ZERO credit for that... or for bringing them back to life... Which more often than not costs me points against the MOB... So the system is FLAWED...

TO be able to get the drop you have to be a selfish SoB... DO NOT take the time to help your fellow player because you will NOT be rewarded. Be a complete a$$ and take care of yourself and heal..... someones dragon.... Yes casting your Chivy healing on someones stupid dragon will give you points.... Rezing your fellow players will NOT.

I will NOT change who I bring to the EM events because to me the EM events are meant to be RP'd..... which it only makes sense for my Knight to be there... Afterall he's the one who swore Fealty to the King... Makes NO sense what-so-ever for him to change and become a gargish wraith thrower flavor of the week whatever... So the system also rewards the flavor of the week template and ..... actually promotes you NOT to bring your RP character to an RP sort of event...

So in short if you want to go to the EM event and you'd like to remember that event by getting a drop that might have some RP meaning to you and be nice...... Don't RP, don't go on your RP character and by all means don't be nice to your fellow players *&(&(()* them.... it's every selfish A$$ for himself...

That's what they promote... that's what they get. And they wonder why.

I don't go to get the drop to sell it to make 100's of millions in gold. I've almost NEVER sold an EM item. The very few or extremely rare ones I have sold was only done because I got multiples with the "old" system... Or because it was from an event that honestly had little to no RP meaning. In which case I traded for something that had a great deal of RP meaning.

They know the system rewards the behavior it does. Yet that's the way it is. Honestly I doubt it will change poll or no poll.

What irks me more than anything is... those who often get the drop do so for reasons that are selfish... They attend the meetings, are rude, vulgar and selfish. They don't listen to the EM, help anyone ... and are more often than not disruptive. Yet time and again their behavior is rewarded. While those who attend the EM's are supportive of the EM's and are there for the actual event.... care what's going on.... appreciate the time and effort and thought the EM put into the event.... and help their fellow players along the way... are NOT rewarded.

Infact... often helping other players and supporting the EM will get you ridiculed and harassed at the meetings to the point where you honestly won't want to show up anymore.

The EM program from the first moment it gave an item.... was doomed to become what it has. I honestly would prefer if they NEVER gave items. Or if once every one or two months at the end or middle of an arc..... they gave only clicky times... so EVERYONE can have the item..... there is no "rare" so it's NOT worth 100's of millions.... putting the emphasis back on the story and away from the Greedy nature of a drop. But that's my opinion. At one time I entertained the idea of actually joining the EM program. But with the way it is I would NEVER. I would be unable to deal with most of the horrible behavior they have to deal with... I would NOT wish to be associated with perpetuating or rewarding it either.

That's my opinion.

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont think it should be changed atall no point making it easier to get a drop or even harder leave it as it is and just have fun thats the point of playing UO ... sick of hearing about the event drop system being FLAWED if its throwers that get the drops stop moaning and make a thrower end of

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My son and myself have quit going to the EM Events... I'd rather wish it was fair but seeing that its a one sided afare with the skills as they are..
I worked hard to get my Necro up there to do max dammage but when someone with a newer template of one of the new skills can out do me even thought i have hit the hell out of the creature... I feel its time to stop going. I have better things to do with my time then become fustrated at lack of any chance.
We all know the major hitters are the onse selling the items for huge amounts of gold... its why they changed their characters the minute a new higher hitter comes out... It's a lost cause...

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I haven't voted in this poll because I think it is severely oversimplified. Class balance is not the only issue creating unfairness in the drop system.

As for the people saying that "better players" are getting the drops--there are many ways to play better. Making an uber template with fully tricked out gear doesn't make you a better player, or more worthy of a particular item than anyone else. It makes you good at powergaming and maybe spreadsheeting (to build a good suit).

Showing up at the end of an event, ignoring your fellow players, and doing nothing but spamming a particular kind of damage on a boss with a particular kind of event-tailored template does not make you a better player. It makes you an opportunist. Being opportunistic is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it shouldn't be the only factor to being rewarded for events that are supposed to be for everyone.

The events are storyline and RP based, but playing along isn't rewarded. In fact, it's hard to play along because there is often so much "get on with it" type spam it's hard to tell what's going on.

I think a lot of people in this and the other thread have danced around a huuuuge part of how the events got to this point. Players selling gold for real money. There is real money in these events. I'm not going to go into a full dissertation about this as I know there are plenty of both buyers and sellers on this forum and among my own friends, but suffice to say that as long as this is the case, greed will prevail.

Class balance isn't even close to the only issue here. I do remarkably well on my tamer, actually, but I don't sell the items I get so you might not know it unless you went poking around my houses.

UO is a sandbox game, and no one play style should be advantaged over another, whether that be powergaming, RPing, crafting/merchanting, casual gaming, or whatever. However, I don't think that players who drag down what should be fun events for EVERYONE should be rewarded. At the same time, I don't think just showing up and doing nothing or casting a single newbie magic arrow should be rewarded either. I almost think that an EM from another shard or a dev (someone who doesn't know and/or play with the players of that particular shard) should follow along invisible and drop the rewards into the packs of players who contribute positively in a number of ways, including but not limited to damage, healing, rezzing, and rp. But that probably requires more resources than they can/will put into it.

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How is that cheating the system JINX? get rid of throwers so your 1997 suits can finally get a drop on your weaver? Yeah you go to events on the right kind of character you just havent updated a suit since who knows when.

Fyi its not endless armor ignores

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Riyana,

HUGE flaw every EM/ dev knows specific players from different shards. Fun fact EMs do play uo on non-EM characters they are just not supposed to disclose what shard/characters they are.

But I mean we all know Promathia is an EM

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay guys its time to knock it off.

The people who play throwers yeah they are people too. I can't speak for ALL of them because I don't know them. You can say whatever you want about them but all the ones I know? They are not greedy. Far from it you guys just "pancake" because your not getting your way. If you want to RP go RP but dont complain because your 2002 old RP character who isnt updated cant get a drop. If your playing a melee toon and you dont have chiv your doing it wrong. If your going without slayer books/ weapons your doing it wrong. Do you know why throwers use wraith form so they can get mana back while hitting omg what a concept? Now get over it update your characters and go to the events, stick with your same toon and not always get drops, or dont go at all. THOSE ARE YOUR CHOICES. You don't like it who cares Mythic (probably) won't change the system any time soon.

I personally res quite a few people on my thrower and heal when needed and I still manage to get a drop when I want one. Just because I dont stand there resing 30 people 1 after another with An corp doesnt mean im selfish because i realize doing noble sacrifice and chugging a heal pot is uhm 300% more effective??

I'm greedy? Seriously I do events to either get an item for myself, get an item to store for a player event I do WHERE I GIVE THEM AWAY, or get gold for a player event I do. If I buy anything like imbuing supplies with that gold its because Ive made too many free suits to help out other people who need to upgrade their characters OMG IM A GREEDY WOMAN.

WHO CARES IF PEOPLE GO TO EVENTS TO SELL THE ITEM? If your going to an event and you don't have the right setup you prolly wouldn't get the drop anyways. I could stop going to events along with snuggles, 4runner, skittles, manti, Varrius, Solus, Arnold. then who would be getting the drops? the rest of the ~20 throwers/ weavers. You can RP on any character you want thats your choice and choices have consequences deal with it.

NOW STOP BEING RUDE.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The funniest thing about this poll is that it asks about "classes" while UO doesnt even have classes. It has skills. You can use your 720 - 900ish available skill points however you wish! No need to choose a class lol

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just do everyone drops everytime. that way we still get a lil gold for the item and the ppl that have no chance bc there lazy (lineman) will still prolly not get it but maybe a few times so he will be happy and the main collectors manti nails etc. will be upset bc there are no more 1/10 1/20 1/1 drops to collect. so everyone will be happy except for those guys then they will get to start a new thread complaining about no more 1/10 drops then were back to were we r at now :) sounds like a plan anyway you look at it us so called greedy ppl will still make a bit of profit and want get our feelings hurt bc no more low number rares drop and prolly pull enough of the everyone drops to make up for what we do now. I also use the gold I make from events to make new suits for me and my friends bc im greedy like that (not really im just not lazy and help my friends in the process) btw I also res ppl at events (my team members first) and have no problem still getting the drop. so let me pull 1 1/10 drop or maybe 5 or more everyone drops makes no difference to me im not a big time collector. stop being lazy or continue complaining.. just like smoot said he has made 2 new suits since this thread has been going. I have made 4 fyi. so the time you waste here you could have done the same. the more time you stay on here complaining the more time us greedy folk have to get that much further ahead of you

Last edited:

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How are minimal skill necros cheating the system? Obviously, without spirit speak wraith form isn't near as effective. I agree with Sadie here, maybe if you updated your terrible suits you might get more drops. Your suits go hand in hand with Lineman's philosophy of doing little as possible and expecting drops.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kno several throwers that use 120 spirit speak in there templates. They give up something for it. The mana you leech from 0 spirit speak from mana pool is way less than with 120 spirit speak so I agree too this is not cheating ppl without spirit speak just decide not to run it and get less mana back. Theres more than 1 way to run a template that works
im glad I understand the game mechanics bc I bet it is frustrating for ppl like jinx and lineman that doesn't know how the game works

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just hitting 60% now in favor of revamping drop system. I hope someone higher up is watching this.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please help keep this poll up towards the top.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I only read the first few posts in this thread and I still don't understand...when they changed the way EM Event items were given...I don't even remember when that was...but they did say they changed it so that ANYONE has a chance..yes? I seem to remember...
1. Person hitting the actual boss
2. Person Healing people hitting the boss
3. Tamers with pets hitting the boss
4. People healing the pets hitting the boss

As long as you are doing SOMETHING in regards to the boss whether it be hitting it or healing those hitting it, you had a chance...or have they changed that yet again?
(I'm one of those rare people that go to events because of the story not the item so I don't pay much attention)

Last time this discussion was brought up I said the same thing.. and I will say it again as I attended an EM Event on Origin last night and got a drop.

I have NOT changed my suit in about 5 years...I still wear the same armor I wore back then. It's pretty sad.

I am a mage tamer that does NOT use pets...well most of the time anyway....pets at EM events are always in the way, last night Faine had to cast a gate rather then have everyone click the rock we were SUPPOSED to click on because of the 5 Greater Dragons that were blocking the entrance and tamers that were too stupid to move them :/

I cast EV's and throw fireballs...certainly NOT a top damager lol, my damage is pathetic...yet I've gotten several drops from EM Events.

So in my eyes, the system is working as intended.

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only read the first few posts in this thread and I still don't understand...when they changed the way EM Event items were given...I don't even remember when that was...but they did say they changed it so that ANYONE has a chance..yes? I seem to remember...

As long as you are doing SOMETHING in regards to the boss whether it be hitting it or healing those hitting it, you had a chance...or have they changed that yet again?
(I'm one of those rare people that go to events because of the story not the item so I don't pay much attention)

Last time this discussion was brought up I said the same thing.. and I will say it again as I attended an EM Event on Origin last night and got a drop.

I have NOT changed my suit in about 5 years...I still wear the same armor I wore back then. It's pretty sad.

I am a mage tamer that does NOT use pets...well most of the time anyway....pets at EM events are always in the way, last night Faine had to cast a gate rather then have everyone click the rock we were SUPPOSED to click on because of the 5 Greater Dragons that were blocking the entrance and tamers that were too stupid to move them :/

I cast EV's and throw fireballs...certainly NOT a top damager lol, my damage is pathetic...yet I've gotten several drops from EM Events.

Thank you!

Lady Khaleesi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Too be honest.... I go to the EM events for the fun and roleplay of whatever storyline is inacted. I save my gold up for drops that I desire... I am not sure there is a fair way here.. This has been a sore subject before even EM events evolved.. was a problem back in the introduction of DOOM artifacts.....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

You also play on shard with little if any competition... On shards like Atl Or GL I can tell you the same 10 to 20 people get the drop EVERY time. But then because of the RPish nature of the events and before folk realized the items were selling for stupid prices... was much easier there weren't 100 plus people there. I used to be one of those people until they changed things..... Then I quit getting them for a very, very long time till they finally changed the way bows are... Now I have the opportunity again to get the drops and I have been ..... and likely will till they change it yet again... and nerf archers again.

What I'm saying is the system took the randomness out of it... Now random people don't get anything.

What my problem is with the events is this... If it's really supposed to be about the event and the work of the EM why then do the EM's even bother? I mean why don't they just screw the story and the plot just spawn a bunch of bad ass **** in the middle of nowhere with no rhyme nor reason and just put the drop on one of the random mobs... and be done.... stop wasting time building up a storyline and plot if the only goal is to fuel the ever increasing "rares" drive... and money grabbing???

And then while we are at it why bother with any of it??? If this is what it's turning into then well... maybe it's time to rethink the purpose of the EM events.

And if you wanted my 100% honest opinion I'd say stop giving drops.... or make them NON-Transferable, NON-Tradable.... and NON-Vendorable. Because honestly the events in my opinion have been utterly ruined by the greed...

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bottom line between the two poles is that people want a change, the only ones who seem apposed are the guys who have about a 80% drop rate if not greater. They can spin it a million different ways but bottom line is a change will affect there drop rate which in turn will affect there wallets. I truly hope that we have made enough noise to get some changes in the works. Your support in this has been great, lets keep it rolling.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The drop on Origin last night as an "Everyone" drop. The drop system CURRENTLY is as follows:

Top Damager - This isnt just "pure damage", as healing and other things you do when fighting the boss all count as a "point" total. When the boss dies, the top 10-20 (Number depending on your shard) receive an item in their backpack. When the system was first introduced, many people were able to get drops by mainly focusing on healing and doing "some" damage. As the system has gone on, more and more people have made top end damagers which healers and the like have a VERY hard time competing against.

A shard like Origin already has one of the smallest populations. Lets add in the fact that 1. Its EM was gone for awhile 2. It was replaced by an EM who alot of people disliked/seemed to hate the aspect of giving out rewards. That, in turn resulted in people just skipping origin. Now that Faine is back, I expect attendance to go back up as well, and that includes Eventers.

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bottom line between the two poles is that people want a change, the only ones who seem apposed are the guys who have about a 80% drop rate if not greater. They can spin it a million different ways but bottom line is a change will affect there drop rate which in turn will affect there wallets. I truly hope that we have made enough noise to get some changes in the works. Your support in this has been great, lets keep it rolling.
doesnt matter to me what the system is, but i'm just curious, why do you care considering you dont even play anymore?

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This poll in itself is flawed. Its a yes or no answer to a question that yes everyone knows the game is flawed. But the game is as balanced as it has ever been and its very easy and cheap to adjust. This poll is pretty much saying are you happy bc you've adjusted and can pull drops or you unhappy bc your lazy and don't wanna change and get drops. Just like I said in nails poll if it goes random then expect the events to get much more laggy for the ppl with slow computers/internet bc were still gonna do what the best option is which will then be bring 10 plus chars to every event. Maximize our chance. Its cheap but true. All this bickering back and forth will do nothing but make things worse in the long run for the main rares community and the ppl that doesn't wanna be lagged out anymore than they already are

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
doesnt matter to me what the system is, but i'm just curious, why do you care considering you dont even play anymore?
First off 4Runner you sound like a broken record. Lt Snuggles. I haven't done many events in a long time but I do still log in now and then to see what's up. As a rares collector I was a little shocked to see the same people get every item ( and I mean every item) . Atleast when it was a corpse drop there was some balance. Yes there were a few people running loot programs but that still didn't guarantee them a drop. Atleast with that system there were many mobs spawned at the same time and everyone had a shot at a drop that had looting rights. So I made a thread because I know this must be frustrating with this obviously flawed system. I mean really? I cannot even believe that this is a debate. Just look back at the drops for this year. Olcher has gotten every drop. And if he hasn't I am sure he wasn't at the event. I don't think when Mesanna and the Devs designed the new system that was there intention. Please Mesanna chime in and tell me if I am wrong. If I am wrong I will shut up and leave. As I am sure allot of people will as well.

onlinegamerstone

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So far keeping up with the conversation one point is true and it really should be addressed.
Why is no credit given to resurrection of dead players? Is a flat 50 damage so hard? Im not sure with this one maybe its a problem with determining who killed the person.
There should obviously some damage credited for ressing players otherwise no one is ever in a hurry to res anyone.

Pretty much everything else seems like greed spam, I wonder how you all could explain my friend with a 200 ping getting drops on an east coast server playing from Ireland.
Perhaps I could hear his great advantages next.

onlinegamerstone

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
And if you wanted my 100% honest opinion I'd say stop giving drops.... or make them NON-Transferable, NON-Tradable.... and NON-Vendorable. Because honestly the events in my opinion have been utterly ruined by the greed...
Congratulations, please show 1 shard with high event attendance with this kind of stance? This stance will outright destroy event attendance.
Oh we can see they promoted our little buddy from Chessy, but truly how many people were attending his events?
I could do a event on Origin with twice the attendance when he was on, is that chance?

It makes me sad when all you care about is you under the guides of saying "its best for the community", how can whats best for the community be less players? really?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Congratulations, please show 1 shard with high event attendance with this kind of stance? This stance will outright destroy event attendance.
Oh we can see they promoted our little buddy from Chessy, but truly how many people were attending his events?
I could do a event on Origin with twice the attendance when he was on, is that chance?

It makes me sad when all you care about is you under the guides of saying "its best for the community", how can whats best for the community be less players? really?
Because I fail to see where having a bunch of greedy rude, vulgar people gather and belittle, berate and grief the EM's and everyone else in the room is GOOD for the community... I'd much rather they left and the nice folk who enjoyed the events for the events.... the ones that really cared about what the EM's worked on and they enjoyed the stories... could return. But I happen to personally know 2 or 3 dozen folk who NO LONGER attend the EM events because they can't follow what's happening and got tired of being insulted and griefed.

And they got tired of never being able to get a drop ever because they are unable to compete with the powergamer, griefing horde.... who spam spells, use all sorts of griefing tactics to cause those without great connections to lose con... crash and everything else everytime the EM opens a gate somewhere so they can be the "first" to get the item... They got tired of not being able to see where the EM was because the idiots feel the need to stand right on top of the EM and cast EV's, Earth Ele's and everything else RIGHT on the EM..... along with parking their dragons right on the EM... making it next to impossible to see what's going on .... Maybe it's not that way on your shard but on mine that's what happens everytime there is any inkling that there "Might" be a drop...

And I'll say this... The EM program showed a whole hell of a lot of promise to bring community back to the game.... however it has FAILED in that respect...... the only thing it has done is bring out the WORST people in the community... and prove what a horrible bunch of selfish SoB's there are in the game...

The Governor/Election system also has incredible potential to better the community and really the shards and make each of them very unique and awesome..... however the current "rules" set in place make it fall flat... and unless you like extremely boring meetings... where the EM pretty much just follows the same script meet after meet.... Where NOTHING you do or say will ever come to pass where you can't actually DO anything but give people a lame bonus to skill that NO ONE will help you pay for..... yes that's right it comes out of your own pocket.... take it from someone who's footed the bill since the start.... It's a Joke. And an outright slap in the face. If you read what you "can" ask for..... and actually read the document especially the Atl version it's EXTREMELY condescending... I fail to see the benefit to the community and I also fail to see where anyone outside the RP community would even give a rats about the meeting and if you've ever actually BEEN to a meeting which I can say 99% of the community as NOT you would know what I was talking about. Yes you get to sit on the council..... Yes you can vote on preapproved stuff..... that has NO bearing on anything remotely beneficial to the community.... Yes you can submit a proposal but you will be denied 99% of the time... and if you aren't denied..... what you ask for will take almost your entire time in office or more to be implemented so put your request in within the first day of your election to office and make sure you don't plan on doing any event until the LAST day of your office... otherwise you will be disappointed... Also..... don't ask for anything of a permanent nature because you WILL be denied.... don't give a **** about the town you represent either because it will do you NO good.

And if I sound a bit crass it's because I've been in long enough to know how it works now and quite frankly I'm not impressed nor do I see the benefit it does to the community... since the community hasn't a clue what it does anyway nor do they show up to care.... or support it. That's my 2cents.

Potential is all there... however that is all there is.

Getting anything for your town.. no matter what it is you think would be good for your city .... is not possible. Unless you are vesper.

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Because I fail to see where having a bunch of greedy rude, vulgar people gather and belittle, berate and grief the EM's and everyone else in the room is GOOD for the community... I'd much rather they left and the nice folk who enjoyed the events for the events.... the ones that really cared about what the EM's worked on and they enjoyed the stories... could return. But I happen to personally know 2 or 3 dozen folk who NO LONGER attend the EM events because they can't follow what's happening and got tired of being insulted and griefed.

And they got tired of never being able to get a drop ever because they are unable to compete with the powergamer, griefing horde.... who spam spells, use all sorts of griefing tactics to cause those without great connections to lose con... crash and everything else everytime the EM opens a gate somewhere so they can be the "first" to get the item... They got tired of not being able to see where the EM was because the idiots feel the need to stand right on top of the EM and cast EV's, Earth Ele's and everything else RIGHT on the EM..... along with parking their dragons right on the EM... making it next to impossible to see what's going on .... Maybe it's not that way on your shard but on mine that's what happens everytime there is any inkling that there "Might" be a drop...

And I'll say this... The EM program showed a whole hell of a lot of promise to bring community back to the game.... however it has FAILED in that respect...... the only thing it has done is bring out the WORST people in the community... and prove what a horrible bunch of selfish SoB's there are in the game...

The Governor/Election system also has incredible potential to better the community and really the shards and make each of them very unique and awesome..... however the current "rules" set in place make it fall flat... and unless you like extremely boring meetings... where the EM pretty much just follows the same script meet after meet.... Where NOTHING you do or say will ever come to pass where you can't actually DO anything but give people a lame bonus to skill that NO ONE will help you pay for..... yes that's right it comes out of your own pocket.... take it from someone who's footed the bill since the start.... It's a Joke. And an outright slap in the face. If you read what you "can" ask for..... and actually read the document especially the Atl version it's EXTREMELY condescending... I fail to see the benefit to the community and I also fail to see where anyone outside the RP community would even give a rats about the meeting and if you've ever actually BEEN to a meeting which I can say 99% of the community as NOT you would know what I was talking about. Yes you get to sit on the council..... Yes you can vote on preapproved stuff..... that has NO bearing on anything remotely beneficial to the community.... Yes you can submit a proposal but you will be denied 99% of the time... and if you aren't denied..... what you ask for will take almost your entire time in office or more to be implemented so put your request in within the first day of your election to office and make sure you don't plan on doing any event until the LAST day of your office... otherwise you will be disappointed... Also..... don't ask for anything of a permanent nature because you WILL be denied.... don't give a **** about the town you represent either because it will do you NO good.

And if I sound a bit crass it's because I've been in long enough to know how it works now and quite frankly I'm not impressed nor do I see the benefit it does to the community... since the community hasn't a clue what it does anyway nor do they show up to care.... or support it. That's my 2cents.

Potential is all there... however that is all there is.

Getting anything for your town.. no matter what it is you think would be good for your city .... is not possible. Unless you are vesper.
You're letting a few bad eggs spoil the whole bunch. The ratio of *******s to honest fun loving player is close to 20:1, probably greater. Don't let the jerks ruin the game for everyone else.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The drop on Origin last night as an "Everyone" drop. The drop system CURRENTLY is as follows:

Top Damager - This isnt just "pure damage", as healing and other things you do when fighting the boss all count as a "point" total. When the boss dies, the top 10-20 (Number depending on your shard) receive an item in their backpack. When the system was first introduced, many people were able to get drops by mainly focusing on healing and doing "some" damage. As the system has gone on, more and more people have made top end damagers which healers and the like have a VERY hard time competing against.

A shard like Origin already has one of the smallest populations. Lets add in the fact that 1. Its EM was gone for awhile 2. It was replaced by an EM who alot of people disliked/seemed to hate the aspect of giving out rewards. That, in turn resulted in people just skipping origin. Now that Faine is back, I expect attendance to go back up as well, and that includes Eventers.
Funny that not *Everyone* got a drop off that event..I was partied with someone who didn't receive one and I know a few others who didn't either.

Even before Faine left, the Event population was very high, I don't see how her leaving and having a person not many liked has anything to do with EM Drops?

I DO know, however, that before they changed the system to what it is now, I NEVER got an event item unless it was a clicky. I remember the Day Bonnie came to Origin and explained how they were changing the Item drop system and how we tested it several times. I think 2 out of the 4 times we killed a boss, I got a drop...whether it was from just casting fireball or healing people/pets hitting the boss.

Granted I haven't seen some of our more popular off-shard EM Event people at our recent events but even when we had 30+ people at an event, mostly tamers with G. Dragons, Throwers...etc. me and my measly fireballs still managed to get drops.

Still it would be nice to have a DEVELOPER come on here and explain again how the system is working currently, as they changed it from Top Damager because it just wasn't fair to people like me :) lol

I do know that my little collection of EM Event items is worth quite a bit, which I wouldn't have gotten if the system remained *Top Damager*..it's just too confusing.

onlinegamerstone

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
How can you feel less people is a good thing? This is a slippery slope of less people your asking for.
There has never been a game where lowering participation is a good thing.

The EM program is one of the few continued and updated investments back into Ultima Online. It is more than a bit greedy to demand others leave so you can enjoy it sorry.
Even If 10 of you quit coming, if it brought 25 new people, then I say "who cares". As long as those are paid for accounts, its a matter at this point of serving the most players.

I do not honestly like seeing so much public griefing, which lets face it, started extremely hard with GENERAL CHAT, but I don't see you complaining about how many people it drove away right?
But then again it didn't hinder you getting an item did it?

I

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funny that not *Everyone* got a drop off that event..I was partied with someone who didn't receive one and I know a few others who didn't either.
Ok Listen, you have to get looting rights, and that's based on a certain threshold of damage. *everyone* drops are designated as such, because when the EM decides their drop, they for instance request *100* of the items to be loaded up on the boss. The high number is to try to assure, anyone who is eligible gets on. Often, you will see people who just aren't able to get within the threshold for damage to get rights, and thus end up not on the table of loot recipients.

Secondly, the EM on the shard DEFINITELY has something to do with it. Origin had/has a GREAT EM in Faine. When Claudius came, he had already been an EM on other shards, and thus players had known to usually just stay away from his events. So when Claudius was there, the competition to get on the top 10 was not as fierce as it is on some other shards.

Third, the Devs have already explained how the drop system works. Its exactly as I said in my post. You get credit from doing damage to the boss, your pets, and healing people who take damage from the boss. When the system was first put in place, you didn't have as many of the hardcore people whose pure intention was to start making profits and spread across all servers. Once those kinds of people started taking the most advantage of the new system (and that is their right), it pushed out the people who perhaps didn't do much damage but also healed a lot. The healing points just weren't enough to outdo the insane damage points they got. That fact pure and simple, is why people are upset with how the system is at this point in time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're letting a few bad eggs spoil the whole bunch. The ratio of *******s to honest fun loving player is close to 20:1, probably greater. Don't let the jerks ruin the game for everyone else.
Flutter have you ever actually been to many EM events on my shard? I have half the crowd on Ignore.... Infact my ignore list is so long that I honestly can't edit it. Yet still they are there. It's been so bad at times that I've gotten up and walked out. Or that I came in stealth for weeks. It's not a few bad eggs.... It's at least a couple dozen very rotten ones... an entire Zerg guild full of them... and their behavior is supported and encouraged by their GM.

I've tried ignoring them... I've tried putting them on ignore and more often than not just flying their guild tag will make half the crowd put you on ignore. I've tried being polite and asking them to please not do whatever it is they are doing... I've tried paging a GM on the most vulgar of them... Infact I've paged Numerous times on some of them for language, name violations etc... But they just come right back or the GM does Nothing. The EM has stopped the event for sometimes 5 minutes at a time because they are so unruly... and won't listen to instruction... but they still do it...

And yes the behavior has made DOZENS of nice decent folk quit going to the events all together saying it's just not worth the stress and headache..... or they simply can't follow the event for all the BS going on.... all the constant spell spamming making it impossible to keep up with the journal...

The only reason I can keep up with it is because I use the EC and I have spell spam turned off. I don't need to see that ..... but people in the CC are just SOL. I turn that off I have names turned off... I don't see anyone "blue" to me... But their constant spamming of area spells lags up most folk... They spam arch cure, and arch curse almost constantly... along with the spellweaving fire spell I can't think of the name of right now... And anytime we aren't "in town" it's perpetual EV's and earth Ele's.... so thick you can barely find the EM or yourself. Even when the EM says there won't be any fighting... and asks them not to cast...

Half the EM events are spent listening to the EM asking them NOT to do stuff and to please move. They pancake constantly if the EM has a short 5 minute exchange of talk... the entire screen will be filled with "Get on with it!" "Stop talking and spawn stuff!"...."Blah blah blah.... Just get on with the spawn!".... This will go on the entire conversation... and I have 80% of mine filtered with the ignore and still get it... It's a wonder anyone can tell what the EM is saying. And if they aren't telling them that they are saying to "STFU" to every rper or other player who try to RP along with the EM... As well as saying other things that shouldn't be repeated... And this goes on every time.

La-Coka-Nostra

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do u know what i think i think you have to much time on your hands!!! sounds like your alittle mad as they get the EM event drops and you take this as a threat its that simple.....

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You get credit from doing damage to the boss, your pets, and healing people who take damage from the boss.
Okay, that's exactly what I said..so the system hasn't changed at all...the only thing that's changed is people have gotten better...

I see it this way...

Some people go to these events strictly for the RP aspect of them and could care less about the items.
Some people go to these events strictly for the Items and could care less about the RP aspect.

To the people that want either NO drops or Character-bound drops...that would basically eliminate a lot of the player-base..the rares/EM Event Item collectors. They are people too and they have their own play-style just like the rest of us, so I have to disagree on the No Drop/Bound Drop thing.

I also think it's kind of silly to have to change your whole template around just to do the most damage, but it seems that is what people do to get what they want...so if you want an item you do what you have to.

To me, the only feasible way around this messy situation is to drop the damage point system, take into account who is hitting/healing..the number of people/pets, give each of those people/pets a mark..or whatever...highlight their account/charactor/pet whatever....so say...40 people are at an event...15 people are actually hitting the boss, 10 pets are hitting the boss and 15 people are healing those. Take those 40 people and put all their names in a hat...(However that would work code-wise) Then..if say 20 items drop, pull 20 names out of the hat...that would make it the most random so that the same people aren't getting drops all the time. Am I making sense? I don't know how feasible that is to code, or something similar, but to base anything on damage/healing just tips the scales too far in one direction, you have to make it TOTALLY random.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Larisa your point has been brought up in nails post. Several ppl would just then multi client around 10 accounts in to do minimum dmg to the boss then hide and let the rest of the ppl kill it. Also bring the lag with the extra 50plus chars it brings to events and hurt the ppl with slow computer/internet.

Last edited:

darkvulf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Since everyone else keeps repeating themselves, i will too, stop giving out event items, thank you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Then you should know.

Oh and it's good to see you got the whip cracking again.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Larisa your point has been brought up in nails post. Several ppl would just then multi client around 10 accounts in to do minimum dmg to the boss then hide and let the rest of the ppl kill it. Also bring the lag with the extra 50plus chars it brings to events and hurt the ppl with slow computer/internet.
I'm sure there is a way to tell how many clients a person is running...so do it per ISP or whatever...doing away with items all together would be devastating.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Let's take note of the current voting statistics for this poll with some perspective.

79 - Players are at least interested in this issue, and voted. (Who knows how many haven't yet)
60 - Want the current system balanced or replaced. (This mean a majority want some change of some kind)
47 - Agree the system is flawed (Perhaps would like something completely new?)
32 - Either like the current system, or would like it balanced (Therefore probably don't want a completely new system?)
19 - Are completely Happy with the current system (I would hope these players attend events regularly enough to feel this way)
13 - Would like the system to be balanced better (But I imagine think the current system is better than any that would replace it)

How do we analyze these results thus far in a meaningful way? About 3/5ths consider the current system flawed, while 2/5ths like it, and would like it balanced. How should the developers take this information? Change the system completely, perhaps make it more inviting to players who don't usually attend, but possibly anger, and alienate at least a quater of all those who attend regularly and benefit from it? Or is there something they can do that isn't too extreme and perhaps fair to all?

I think some of you understand my position on this. I posted it twice now. I fear player feedback will fall on deaf ears or this case, blind eyes.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like I said in the other thread I think they should seperate the two things.
It´s obvious by the replies in these threads that most, if not all, people that want the system to remain as it is are the ones that is only interested in the items and not the event itself.

Make the events item free and let people who actually enjoy the work the EMs put in enjoy them.
And then find another system for weekly or monthly item drops.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO allows you to run as many clients as you want as long as your not doing anything illegal. As long as your paying for your accounts it doesn't matter how many you have. It is unfortunate but is what to come if they make it random drops :(