• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hi PvM Tamers, have you farmed recently? (BAD COMBAT SYSTEM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some people don't get it.... I see
I go anywhere with say my GD who is dumb as a pet rock as it is.... we get cornered by the spawn of the T chest spawn that by the way on a mere 5 can spawn 12 mind you Lich lords or any of the other "Fun" (not) critters from that map all at once. Being that my pet rock of a GD has zero brains of a amoeba this makes 1 Band-Aid on his sorry tail they all agro on me....... OOOooooooOOOOOoooo GET THE PICTURE?? One this is stupid... two its down right mean of them not to have let us test it out for a bit longer then a few bloody hours... I had no clue it was coming out that fast or id have been in the middle of it on TEST. And given them an ear full....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some people don't get it.... I see
I go anywhere with say my GD who is dumb as a pet rock as it is.... we get cornered by the spawn of the T chest spawn that by the way on a mere 5 can spawn 12 mind you Lich lords or any of the other "Fun" (not) critters from that map all at once. Being that my pet rock of a GD has zero brains of a amoeba this makes 1 Band-Aid on his sorry tail they all agro on me....... OOOooooooOOOOOoooo GET THE PICTURE?? One this is stupid... two its down right mean of them not to have let us test it out for a bit longer then a few bloody hours... I had no clue it was coming out that fast or id have been in the middle of it on TEST. And given them an ear full....
Did I not say this would happen???? Ruin taming..... lovely. What will you destroy next???? House design/Deco.... not that's been borked for years..... Guilds?

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I foresee cancelling many UO accounts if this is true! Woohoo! Wtg developers!! lmfao

*Feeds trolls dirty socks and underwear*

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From what I hear these templates got the worst of it: 1 heal to their greater dragon and the all aggro turns to their master.

Simply put, you cannot throw in this type of change to a combat system that has no aggro tables. There is no level of threat, and it would make no sense whatsoever for every mob around your dragon to suddenly turn on you for 1 heal.

I do agree with the want to make some kind of threat level towards healers, but this isn't the way to do it. You need aggro tables, threat levels, etc. Like I said, I am happy our dev team wants to update our combat system, but this should not have been published so fast. Needs more testing, more changes. Please revert and move it back to test center!

Edit: After further testing, the changes are not as drastic as originally suspected. Not sure what caused such experience the first time testing but now the GDragon holds aggro no problem.

http://stratics.com/community/threa...cently-bad-combat-system.301165/#post-2283766

http://stratics.com/community/threa...cently-bad-combat-system.301165/#post-2283784

Couple of thoughts on this...

1. Why is there Healer Aggro in a game that's monster AI wasn't designed for it? Doesn't that make it difficult to get "right".
  2. If they are going to institute Healer Aggro, we need a means for other players to intentionally Pull Aggro, basically creating a "Tank" type character.
  3. If we create a "Tank" type character then we needs abilities to mitigate damage so they can take a lickin and keep on tickin...
  4. If we institute abilities to mitigate damage and have Healer Aggro, then we now need a Visible meter to measure "Knock-back" on cast times (aka Channeling) and a means to speed those cast times up.
  5. Why are they spoiling UO? If we wanted to play a game with the same cookie cutter mechanics as nearly every MMO since EQ, we'd be playing them (Look at my Siggy for example).
  6. How long before we run out of sand in the sandbox at this rate?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a warrior with a shield shoud have the ability to use his shield as some ort of taunt. Maybe a special move to use to keep the monster distracted to him for some time.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will you destroy next???? House design/Deco....
Ha! They did that for me with that silly barrel publish. You can no longer lock down broken multi-tile components to save them from going poof while customizing. A trick all of my houses relied heavily on. I can't customize any of them any more but I guess I have rare houses now.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couple of thoughts on this...

1. Why is there Healer Aggro in a game that's monster AI wasn't designed for it? Doesn't that make it difficult to get "right".
  2. If they are going to institute Healer Aggro, we need a means for other players to intentionally Pull Aggro, basically creating a "Tank" type character.
  3. If we create a "Tank" type character then we needs abilities to mitigate damage so they can take a lickin and keep on tickin...
  4. If we institute abilities to mitigate damage and have Healer Aggro, then we now need a Visible meter to measure "Knock-back" on cast times (aka Channeling) and a means to speed those cast times up.
  5. Why are they spoiling UO? If we wanted to play a game with the same cookie cutter mechanics as nearly every MMO since EQ, we'd be playing them (Look at my Siggy for example).
  6. How long before we run out of sand in the sandbox at this rate?
I agree with everything you say here. The way they are going they have to start incorporating these types of changes, which will turn it into every other MMO out there. Well said. - This game should not need a 'taunt' ability!

The major factor in this is that, I just don't think that these type of changes are even possible with the current game. It would require a MAJOR overhaul, and I don't think anyone on the UO dev team is really looking to do that.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm beginning to wonder if the peacemaking skill was nerfed or changed in this publish as well to make it less useful.

A couple of times this evening it has seemed as if monsters with a relatively low barding difficulty (i.e., low 90s) have flagged on my tamer while approaching her from about a screen away and then almost instantaneously broken through area peacing or direct peacing done with real 120 peacemaking skill and real 120 music skill and re-flagged to the tamer while nowhere near the pet and while the tamer was just looting corpses and not healing the pet with spells or bandages. The tamer was between the approaching monster and the pet, and a few times it almost looked like the pet would have even been off-screen to the monster and busy killing something else. Therefore, it seemed as if the monster was probably flagging solely on the tamer. (I doubled checked and lored the monster just to make sure it hadn't suddenly gained pack instinct too.) But using area peace (or direct peace) in such situations only seemed to stop the monster for just a split second, whereas before it would have frozen the same kind of monster in its tracks for at least 3-5 seconds, if not longer.

Strange stuff.

Edited to add: More strange stuff. While looting a corpse, a monster spawns right on top of my tamer, flags to her and does a little bit of damage. Tamer runs a few paces away and invizes to break aggro. Monster is no longer flagged to the tamer. Tamer tells pet to attack the monster. Tamer then casts heal on herself and the monster re-flags to the tamer, even though she hasn't done any healing to the pet, just to herself! She's not even close enough to the pet to reach it with a bandage, the monster is between the tamer and the pet and being attacked by the pet, and the monster is still several paces away from the tamer, not close enough to even wrestle with her.

Last edited:

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
taming in the weald on cu's, in the middle of taming(mutally beneficial if we joined forces and stuff) i invis, then cast heal, instant aggro. wtf is that?

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My problem keeps arising when my PvM dexxer is fighting something and something else targets me. When that happens I stop hitting the thing in front of me. This HAS to be changed and can't imagine it's working as intended.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so having read all the comments since last night I wanted to test out some ideas in Covetous and see what happened. With a bit of trepidation I grabbed my old cu and off we went. Bear in mind my bard tamer has old equipment and I've only just brought her account back in game so I'm rather out of practice playing a bard. In fact, she hasn't been to Covetous level 3 at all lol.

Ok, first trip I took a cu, and between not being up to speed and the cu not doing a ton of damage level 3 was rather dicey to start with. Only died twice though, both caused by monsters targeting me directly rather than while I was vetting. I took care to pull my pet back a bit so the spawn moved around to the other side and gave me space to vet. I wasn't really barding much with the cu, just watching how he fared against the different spawn in there and trying to observe any vetting issues. And we started off with a whole pack of spawn at the entrance so the start was a lot more challenging initially. Once everyone was spawning more evenly over the level it was a lot easier.

I went back to the stables to see how I got on with a greater dragon. I know, Wenchy using a greater... mind the flying pigs in kilts :D But the only issue I had there was keeping up with loot and watching the residents didn't target me over the room and jump me. If my pet was swamped I was careful, but Huffenpuff isn't an uber dragon, he never went below half health with me taking care to time my vets to safer times. And taking care to not swamp him in spawn. Once I was started provoking and discording the spawn too then it was a blast. Challenging and keeping me on my toes but damn I liked it!

Some tactics to try...
Firstly, rather than send pets in to a group of spawn and going to them to vet, call the pet back to you. This sometimes gets the spawn to the rear of your pet so you have a clear spot to vet from. It also saves your pet collecting too much spawn. Sometimes just taking a step or two back and calling a pet will give you time to slap on a bandage while the spawn regroups around you. I tend to give a kill command, target one critter in the spawn then immediately "all stop/all follow me" to pull the pet back. That tends to pull a few of the surrounding spawn onto my pet but not the whole dungeon. This is a similar tactic I used for paragons so I didn't have to move and get them re-targeting on me. You can also let your pet chew the group of spawn till it's thinned out, then pull it back to try creating a space and then vet.

The other tactic more suited to areas where you have a longer path you can retreat along, is lead vetting. In other words if your pet is struggling you tell it to stop/follow you and vet while walking away from the spawn. That does two things, it takes your pet out of melee range of the monsters and reduces the damage it takes while you're vetting. It also now helps you avoid being close to spawn while you vet. Once my pet is at full health I'll tell it to guard me and spawn starts dying again. I kill the spawn normally and if necessary do more lead vetting. You need to keep yourself walking at a steady pace then you'll remain in vet range.

Always keep your tamer in a position where you have a clear area to retreat to. Sometimes it's not possible but if you can back off and break up a group of spawn it's much easier to tackle.

I know some of the above is obvious to the more experienced tamers, but I figure it's worth sharing for those who might not know it.

Yes, taming is now more challenging in some situations. I think we still need to test and give more feedback, but I think hunt and pet handling tactics are much more important now. And they should be. What we need is for more tamers to give detailed feedback of what they were hunting, the pet they used and any tactics they found which worked or didn't. If you want to throw your hands up and say it sucks, please try and say why and in what circumstances :D

Wenchy

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yesterday someone in my Team Speak says he found a dragon with over 1800 hp and good resist and needed help taming it in destard. I put gift of renewal on my self before going into destard. The greater and 2 other dragons flagged on me before I invised. I honored myself, gift of renewal heals me and the greater and the two normal dragons FLAG on me while I had invoked my honor on myself. I would invis to break agro but soon as I healed boom reagro even while I had honored myself. Later in the day I got killed by a mob andI had gift of life on. I rez and run away, I heal myself BOOM everything that killed me instantly flags me and runs over to reskill me. At the least I think honor should work like it used to and if you die that should reset argro.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too have had problems with my tamer.

If it's:
-my pet + 1 mob = i'm fine with mage/vet heals
-my pet + 2 or more mobs = I get attacked by the mob my pet isn't currently attacking.

I haven't really tested but my findings were from regular farming of shame level 3.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yesterday someone in my Team Speak says he found a dragon with over 1800 hp and good resist and needed help taming it in destard. I put gift of renewal on my self before going into destard. The greater and 2 other dragons flagged on me before I invised. I honored myself, gift of renewal heals me and the greater and the two normal dragons FLAG on me while I had invoked my honor on myself. I would invis to break agro but soon as I healed boom reagro even while I had honored myself. Later in the day I got killed by a mob andI had gift of life on. I rez and run away, I heal myself BOOM everything that killed me instantly flags me and runs over to reskill me. At the least I think honor should work like it used to and if you die that should reset argro.
If you Honor yourself after something's flagged on you, the flag does not go away.

Yes I know you cast invisibility but the same thing has happened to me for years in Saliva's cave, after I've left the cave.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My problem keeps arising when my PvM dexxer is fighting something and something else targets me. When that happens I stop hitting the thing in front of me. This HAS to be changed and can't imagine it's working as intended.
I noticed that last night too but the problem is I am not sure that's a new issue and if it's not then by definition it's not the same issue(s) that started this thread.

-Galen's player

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the last couple of months I have logged into particular character once per day to gain .1 skill in Mysticism. I cast cleansing winds, get my gain, then log out and log into another character. This character hasn't left my house in over 6 months and in that time all I have ever done with it is log in to get a skill gain. The character is wearing a suit that increases strength and hit points so at log in The cleansing winds spell actually heals some "damage" hit points.

When this publish went live something changed. Now after I cast cleansing winds, my character won't log out of the game instantly. It appears to be on the combat timer so I can't log into any other characters on that account on that shard until the timer runs out. This is crap.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
taming in the weald on cu's, in the middle of taming(mutally beneficial if we joined forces and stuff) i invis, then cast heal, instant aggro. wtf is that?

It's the "monster-re-flags-when-you-heal-yourself" part of this change that is most challenging.

I'm guessing that non-tamer mages who are hunting stuff with their mage will be running into the same problem. Your mage takes damage from a monster. Mage steps/runs away to get a little distance from the monster. Mage casts invisibility on self and is no longer flagged to the monster. Mage heals self with a spell. BAM! Monster instantly re-flags to the mage because she is healing damage caused by the monster.

If your mage gets into a real jam, your best bet for not bringing everything that put you into the jam right on top of you again, instantly, is going to be to just run and not heal your mage until you are far, far away or all of it is dead by some other means. Stepping away and invizzing will be pointless if you still need to heal damage.

Likewise, stepping away and area peacemaking or direct peacemaking something will also be pointless because the self-healing will instantly re-flag everything on you.

Edited to add: Haven't had a chance to test this yet, but I would imagine that using any kind of summons to kill stuff will cause the caster to become flagged to monsters if you heal the summons to save it or extend its life. Don't know if using barding masteries that regenerate hit points would also cause flagging for the bard if they have a beneficial effect on summons.

Last edited:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the last couple of months I have logged into particular character once per day to gain .1 skill in Mysticism. I cast cleansing winds, get my gain, then log out and log into another character. This character hasn't left my house in over 6 months and in that time all I have ever done with it is log in to get a skill gain. The character is wearing a suit that increases strength and hit points so at log in The cleansing winds spell actually heals some "damage" hit points.

When this publish went live something changed. Now after I cast cleansing winds, my character won't log out of the game instantly. It appears to be on the combat timer so I can't log into any other characters on that account on that shard until the timer runs out. This is crap.
On the same note, I have experienced another crap situation, in fel doing a champ, I am in a guild and my friend is in another guild, as soon as he heal himself with a cleansing winds, I cant heal him anymore, it says cant perform beneficial act... but he never flagged on another player, just because he healed himself he falls in flagg players mode.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone tried teleporting after invis to break the lock?

Just tested it, Petra. If you take damage and then inviz, you are no longer flagged, even though still damaged. As soon as you teleport (while still damaged), the monster INSTANTLY re-flags to you. Doesn't matter if you teleport towards it or away from it--teleporting makes it flag to you again. (As does eventually healing the damage it caused.) You can teleport completely off-screen of the mob, and when you run back to look, it's already flagged on you from when you teleported.

Last edited:

Lightfoot

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has no one learned, after all these years and bad examples, that you can't institute major game mechanic changes without allowing them to be thoroughly tested on TC.
This group of designers is rapidly losing the good-will they earned from the bug fixes.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has no one learned, after all these years and bad examples, that you can't institute major game mechanic changes without allowing them to be thoroughly tested on TC.
This group of designers is rapidly losing the good-will they earned from the bug fixes.
This has been an utterly clueless set of changes. I would love Kyronix, Bleak or Messana to come on and defend why this was pushed on us with almost ZERO testing time. Just to get the King's Collection out the door?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the same note, I have experienced another crap situation, in fel doing a champ, I am in a guild and my friend is in another guild, as soon as he heal himself with a cleansing winds, I cant heal him anymore, it says cant perform beneficial act... but he never flagged on another player, just because he healed himself he falls in flagg players mode.
What was the relationship between your guild and your friends guild?

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What was the relationship between your guild and your friends guild?
I was in faction and he was in a normal guild it was very weird, after few minutes I could heal him again, but after an action ( that I still have to discover yet) I was unable to heal him was saying ''beneficial act'' but we never flagged to each others or to anyone else. I was almost sure it was because of him casting cleasing winds on himself but it might be another factor. He was fighting baracoon in vampiric form it it can help to discover the issue...

Last edited:

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want to see them put tamers back to where I can vet my pet and not get attacked by everything that's on him. For anyone who thinks its not a challenge to keep a GDragon alive with 10 cove monsters on him, come try it, it is by no means a sit back and enjoy the loots. I have to vet and mage heal just to keep him alive at times.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not to defend the devs on this,but cove is hard to solo for Any template.I'm still with you on the issue

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want to see them put tamers back to where I can vet my pet and not get attacked by everything that's on him. For anyone who thinks its not a challenge to keep a GDragon alive with 10 cove monsters on him, come try it, it is by no means a sit back and enjoy the loots. I have to vet and mage heal just to keep him alive at times.
I have tried Covetous with my tamer today, several times, see my post earlier today in this thread. I even listed some tactics I've been using. It is certainly survivable, you just need to be careful what you take on at once and handle both your pets and the spawn to work around the new changes. You have the advantage of level entrances too, so it's easy enough to dart back out to heal then return. I had to do that when I first went in, the whole spawn was at the door lol. I haven't got the mana to heal steadily with magery, so I was using nothing but vet. Once I got going it was straightforward, I just had to be on my toes more than I would have been before.

Wenchy

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pardon my repetitive banter.
The Players are the testers.
Is anyone not actually getting this?
They publish a patch. Players notice changes and post varied responses. Devs make a few replies and do whatever the hell they want based on their experience with game (or lack of). We are then instructed to post kitty-goyles and cinnamon rolls until we feel better.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the following thoughts and suggestions.

Even if the new system is better in objective terms and even if folks' accounts of it are exaggerated, making this kind of change so suddenly can, at worst, have unintended consequences.

And, even at best, it can it can really piss us off for no particular gain.

Leave such a change on Test Center for an extended period, let people **** around with it, tweak it before it gets to the production shards.

-Galen's player

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FFs ... I cant even get looting rights on a dark father with a disco tamer when there is sampire attacking the DF aswell. A sampire solos anything and makes UO a single player game, yet you devs decide to nerf one of the weaker classes in pvm even more? Did you actually test this crap "bugfix" in doom2? Are you devs happy when there is nothing else besides sampires left or what is the point of your stupid nerfes? Jeez ..

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I noticed something just now, related to my earlier post.

My house is on Fire Island and sometimes there is an ogre or other minor spawn outside. When I heal myself inside the house while spawn outside is flagged on me the combat timer goes into effect -even if I don't attack the spawn. If no spawn is present - everything is ok

Here is the odd part. When the monster is actively flagged onto me (is already grey) and I damage myself (mind blast) the monster instantly unflags (turns from grey to normal hue). -but it still follows me around while I walk inside the house.
When I heal the damage I caused to myself, it instantly reflags (turns grey) again.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I noticed something just now, related to my earlier post.

My house is on Fire Island and sometimes there is an ogre or other minor spawn outside. When I heal myself inside the house while spawn outside is flagged on me the combat timer goes into effect -even if I don't attack the spawn. If no spawn is present - everything is ok

Here is the odd part. When the monster is actively flagged onto me (is already grey) and I damage myself (mind blast) the monster instantly unflags (turns from grey to normal hue). -but it still follows me around while I walk inside the house.
When I heal the damage I caused to myself, it instantly reflags (turns grey) again.

So thats the issue I was having at baracoon with my friend in another guild. When he was healing himself with coon flagged on him, he would go flagged heat of combat like if he had attacked another player, then I cannot heal him anymore...

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the suggestions I have figured out how to do cove, my problem is why should I waste 120 points in vet if I can't use it to heal my pet. I think putting this on test for one day was a horrible idea, this needed to be tested for several weeks not one day. I don't mind you making things harder but if you plan to do so let us know so we can make changes to our toons. I am rethinking 120 vet, maybe in favor of 120 Magery and 120 Med.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the suggestions I have figured out how to do cove, my problem is why should I waste 120 points in vet if I can't use it to heal my pet. I think putting this on test for one day was a horrible idea, this needed to be tested for several weeks not one day. I don't mind you making things harder but if you plan to do so let us know so we can make changes to our toons. I am rethinking 120 vet, maybe in favor of 120 Magery and 120 Med.
You don't need to abandon vet, I never use mage healing and it's just a shift in tactics rather than template. I think my bard has around 110 vet just now, I'd prefer 120 but the template was too tight for anything else. She hasn't room for even GM magery :D

I certainly wouldn't do any big change to your template until we see what happens - everything could change yet again!

I do agree this system should have been in testing for longer, I had a brief test of it but there just wasn't time to sit down and test different situations or compare notes with other tamers regarding strategies etc. It wasn't till I went to Covetous that I could even get a spawn to actually re-target into me when I vetted. Had I not tried there I'd have thought others were crazy lol.

Wenchy

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't get rid of vet, but maybe stone it off for the time being and then add it back when and if they fix this mess they made.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pardon my repetitive banter.
The Players are the testers.
Is anyone not actually getting this?
They publish a patch. Players notice changes and post varied responses. Devs make a few replies and do whatever the hell they want based on their experience with game (or lack of). We are then instructed to post kitty-goyles and cinnamon rolls until we feel better.
Looking like a "lack of" thing to me.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok Kyronix get the boys together and put it back the way it was....
I took my 120/120/120 pure tamer mage and her pet rock GD to dastard just to test this nutty idea you phased in.... Ruby at first was fine didn't need to heal her fighting a wyvern... ok so far no agro to me.. then a nasty little squirt of a drake thought itself a macho dragon and started something that before would have been a good giggle...
Not to now.. the minute he hit the GD who I told put it in its place.. a wild GD materialized next to it and within 30 seconds not only was I and the GD running for the exit but I was 1 hair from death 1 Band-Aid agro'd everything in sight!!! and they skipped the damn pet rock GD!!!!
You got a short bit of time to fix this buddy..... I am not amused and the only thing keeping me in the game right now is my Tamers... that's 53 accounts worth of cold hard cash a month.... and I am not alone in this one.. was on Sonoma today and had many tamers tell me the same thing.. they NOT HAPPY.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...1 Band-Aid agro'd everything in sight...
This is what I'm hearing from some people.

Thank you for posting, everyone should be giving as much feedback as possible to get attention and address the issue.

Last edited:

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently provoking air eles in shame 3 to attack one another, I goto throw myself a random heal and I aggro one it starts walking towards me then decides to go back to what it was attacking.

Makes sense...

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An important question: Why does the Veterinary skill still exist?

It was already knocked down a peg when monsters started casting area affect spells from Necromancy and Spellweaving, which results in them switching aggro to the tamer attempting to heal their pet.

Now monsters that don't cast area affect spells will also switch aggro to the healing tamer upon use of the Veterinary skill.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An important question: Why does the Veterinary skill still exist?

It was already knocked down a peg when monsters started casting area affect spells from Necromancy and Spellweaving, which results in them switching aggro to the tamer attempting to heal their pet.

Now monsters that don't cast area affect spells will also switch aggro to the healing tamer upon use of the Veterinary skill.

Yes, veterinary skill is now on par with herding -just not as potentially annoying

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok Kyronix get the boys together and put it back the way it was....
I took my 120/120/120 pure tamer mage and her pet rock GD to dastard just to test this nutty idea you phased in.... Ruby at first was fine didn't need to heal her fighting a wyvern... ok so far no agro to me.. then a nasty little squirt of a drake thought itself a macho dragon and started something that before would have been a good giggle...
Not to now.. the minute he hit the GD who I told put it in its place.. a wild GD materialized next to it and within 30 seconds not only was I and the GD running for the exit but I was 1 hair from death 1 Band-Aid agro'd everything in sight!!! and they skipped the damn pet rock GD!!!!
You got a short bit of time to fix this buddy..... I am not amused and the only thing keeping me in the game right now is my Tamers... that's 53 accounts worth of cold hard cash a month.... and I am not alone in this one.. was on Sonoma today and had many tamers tell me the same thing.. they NOT HAPPY.
Ok, can I make a gentle suggestion - look at your tactics before you start threatening to quit. I don't know what you were doing in Destard but my experience in there today was very different from yours. Either you have some rare bug or there is a tactical reason why you are getting in so much trouble.

I went in with a GD, caught a few wanderers at the entrance and as long as I kept myself out of melee range of the attackers I could vet safely. I went further in and got a whole clump of spawn at the back. Again as long as they were out of strike distance and I ensured they were attacking my pet before I moved in to vet; we were fine. When I let the dragon get swamped and then vetted right near the spawn, then it attacked me. So I called my pet to stop/follow, moved back away from that spawn. Invis'd myself to break target with the spawn, then my drag was free of the nasties, so I vetted like normal as we walked away to separate out the spawn a bit. By that point there were just 2 drags on our tail so I let them catch up and continued to hunt.

Had I hunted as I do usually I wouldn't have gotten my pet swamped at all, but as a test it was perfectly survivable once I used the right tactics. But if you do let pets get swamped or you vet in melee range of an attacker then yes, you will have your butt handed to you. The old tactic of standing under you dragon and vetting has now become the best way to suicide your tamer :D

Of course these changes aren't welcomed by many tamers, they don't want a game getting tougher, even if many of them could cut down their risk by a basic change in tactics. Some would rather scream than try presenting some rational feedback on the changes. At this stage the best thing for tamers to do is try some different tactics, report anything you believe to be a bug and give the devs some time to correct the issues. Give constructive feedback. Not threaten to quit just to get the devs to do what you want.

Wenchy

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I for one am not happy... Did anyone think this out before putting this in place?

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been playing much lately so I am starting to understand that the Tamer will be attacked by the mob of monsters while trying to heal a pet. Since the one reason I play this game is because of my Tamer and her Dragons, I am not a happy camper. I PVM and play solo mostly. Looks like we'll have to wait and see which way the wind blows on this issue before learning to deal with it or giving up and quitting. Maybe put the Tamer on the shelf until it makes comeback? Getting too old and not willing to pay and longer while waiting for things to get fixed.

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been playing much lately so I am starting to understand that the Tamer will be attacked by the mob of monsters while trying to heal the pet, even if the monsters first attack the Pet? One heal and then WHAMO? Since I always play solo, this creates a major problem. Oh well ..
Ok, quick summary of how it seems to work - you're pet is fighting stuff... if you're standing so your pet is between you and the spawn, or simply out of melee range of the monsters, they will flag as aggro to you but you shouldn't get attacked. If however you are within melee range of something and you vet, it's going to start attacking you. Don't stand under your pets while they're fighting unless you want to be attacked - that's not the safest spot any more.

Basically you will need to just be a bit more tactical in positioning your pets and yourself - I posted a few tactical things you can try earlier in the thread, here if it's of any help.

I'm testing things when I have time but I haven't run out a dungeon screaming yet. And with the amount of complaints I'd be surprised if this isn't changed soon anyway hehe :D

Wenchy

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, quick summary of how it seems to work - you're pet is fighting stuff... if you're standing so your pet is between you and the spawn, or simply out of melee range of the monsters, they will flag as aggro to you but you shouldn't get attacked. If however you are within melee range of something and you vet, it's going to start attacking you. Don't stand under your pets while they're fighting unless you want to be attacked - that's not the safest spot any more.

Basically you will need to just be a bit more tactical in positioning your pets and yourself - I posted a few tactical things you can try earlier in the thread, here if it's of any help.

I'm testing things when I have time but I haven't run out a dungeon screaming yet. And with the amount of complaints I'd be surprised if this isn't changed soon anyway hehe :D

Wenchy
I Solo hunt greater dragon and their Paragons in Ilsh using Valor Shrine gate. I have always let my GD attack first, then run up behind my Pet and start casting Greater heal plus use aides to heal if I can get close enough, and usually I am okay as long as I don't run up to the pet to heal it too fast. I wait between approaching steps. So if that still works, it is one problem less. If there is a mob of dragons and other spawn around I expect to be overwhelmed. That too happens in that one area West of Valor Moongate. So now I am wondering, twhat went wrong with Lady Storm in Destard. That encounter I need to understand and look at more carefully. I often hunt in huge spawn areas like Destard, So am not sure what the new changes are affecting until I do some testing too. :)

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Solo hunt greater dragon and their Paragons in Ilsh using Valor Shrine gate. I have always let my GD attack first, then run up behind a my Pet and start casting Greater heal plus use aides to heal, and usually I am okay as long as I don't run up to the pet to heal it too fast. I wait between approaching step by step. So if that still works, I have no problems. I will test that. Thanks. But I am wondering though, what went wrong with Lady Storm in Destard and will have to look at that more carefully because I often hunt Destard and other mob spawn areas.
It's probably worth trying it out on some safe-ish spawns till you get a feel for how it works and then move up to the tougher stuff. But you should be fine. If not then I'm sure the devs would appreciate more feedback and bug reports to help fix stuff up.

Wenchy

Status
Not open for further replies.