• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] So Which shards are in the running for the next fest after xmas

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
?? just wondering whos put up yet??....

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pretty sure baja will be having one in january

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Woo Baja i hope! that way i can get rares to my museum faster lol!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
January? *shakes head*

People were broke as s**t during this fest...and it was postponed. I think someone needs to speak up about this besides myself, since no one seems to listen.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
January? *shakes head*

People were broke as s**t during this fest...and it was postponed. I think someone needs to speak up about this besides myself, since no one seems to listen.
Sorry, I have to agree with Rabbit here, January is way to soon... Sure, "I don't have to attend" blah blah blah, but that's not the point. September-January is four months, why not March-April?

This way it's after all the major holidays, and I have no doubt there'll be tons to buy/sell from Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Valentines Day.

With the way it's going, we'll start having these monthly in no time =/

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I thought it was going to be in Feb.

Besides I just think less collectors atm seems to be why some items might not have sold as fast as expected.
But I don't know I think your right it shouldnt be in january, but feb. would be better I guess?

viergedarkmoon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sorry, I have to agree with Rabbit here, January is way to soon... Sure, "I don't have to attend" blah blah blah, but that's not the point. September-January is four months, why not March-April?
I think Great Lakes is in the running for having one around March-April. Some people aren't able to make it to every one. I don't see a probem with having 3-4 a year... I think having them more often is better. If you dont have the gold for baja then save up for Great Lakes Fest. I don't understand why people are complaining about this? I thought the last one was fun and a lot of people came to the shard and boosted the economy.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Great Lakes is in the running for having one around March-April. Some people aren't able to make it to every one. I don't see a probem with having 3-4 a year... I think having them more often is better. If you dont have the gold for baja then save up for Great Lakes Fest. I don't understand why people are complaining about this? I thought the last one was fun and a lot of people came to the shard and boosted the economy.
well I've been to every rares festival since the first one in 08 hosted by dvi, some of them have been very different from others, some i liked a lot some not so much, but speaking from having attended every one of them i think the fewer the better, i think there should be 3 a year tops, 4 is too many and 2 seems a little too few though i wouldnt be against having 2 but a lot of people might be

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its been awhile since I've thought of it, but I think GL wanted the first one then gave way in favor of Baja. So Baja first (not sure when those dates are, haha ask Gareth!), then GL (again, not sure when those dates are, ask Tanda!). Also, no confirmation yet, but an Asian shard may be in the running as well. So it should be interesting to see how things pan out.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
before the 2nd rares fest on chessy, it was pretty much between having one on sakura or napa valley, somehow they both fell through and chesapeake had a 2nd, i was really looking forward to having an asian shard rares fest, i hope they make it happen cause I'm friends with a lot of the asian players and even the ones i meet for the first time are just very friendly

F

Fraggles

I also would like to see one on an asia shard. and i agree the fewer the better

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I would like to see this happen on an asian shard sometime in the late spring. Two fests a year more than suffice.

BTW, two tokens from everyone alone 3-4 times a year more than offsets any gains made in the community gold wise. avg 100 mil per person X 15+ ppl = lots of gold lost to other communities in the game. If you consider this in the long run, that equates to less buying power throughout the community. Less buying power means less being bought and sold.

Stretch out the time frames and you end up adding a buffer to the token expenses...which allows for people to recoup from all the transfers.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW, two tokens from everyone alone 3-4 times a year more than offsets any gains made in the community gold wise. avg 100 mil per person X 15+ ppl = lots of gold lost to other communities in the game. If you consider this in the long run, that equates to less buying power throughout the community. Less buying power means less being bought and sold.

Stretch out the time frames and you end up adding a buffer to the token expenses...which allows for people to recoup from all the transfers.
For some people, rares collecting is not an investment but a hobby.

3-4 fests x years sounds good for me.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This last fest was horrible. The vendors were pretty much all Luna standards. I mean the back alley vendors outnumbered the actual rares vendors...at RARES fest...makes sense.

I honestly think sales ect were so bad this time 70% due to how it was all setup. I personally feel that 1. We should lower the number of fests, and 2. We should do them on smaller shards.

Alas I know noone will listen, so all I ask is the rares fests we DO have, PLEASE learn from the past fests and make sure the setup is good. I thought I heard Gareth was attached to the Baja Fest? If so I back it 100%.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For some people, rares collecting is not an investment but a hobby.

3-4 fests x years sounds good for me.

It may be ok with you, but I know a few people who have had to skip on traveling because they just could not afford it. Myself included. If some people had twice the time to recoup and save between fests, you would see an even better turn out all around. People would be more prone to trade, and less apprehensive to spend.

Just my two cents.

@ Demonous. You have the unique perspective of seeing how things have sold through your private auctions. I would be interested in hearing your outlook on how bidding has or hasn't changed over the course of the fests you have catered to. From what I could tell, bidding was down from last fest...but perhaps I am mistaken.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This last fest was horrible. The vendors were pretty much all Luna standards. I mean the back alley vendors outnumbered the actual rares vendors...at RARES fest...makes sense.

I honestly think sales ect were so bad this time 70% due to how it was all setup. I personally feel that 1. We should lower the number of fests, and 2. We should do them on smaller shards.

Alas I know noone will listen, so all I ask is the rares fests we DO have, PLEASE learn from the past fests and make sure the setup is good. I thought I heard Gareth was attached to the Baja Fest? If so I back it 100%.
I agree, the setup of ATL fest wasnt good. Someone should start a thread about rares fest guidelines.

F

Fraggles

Dito, perhaps start a thread with a list of past Fests and what people liked and disliked about them? and use it as a tool to help plan future fests?:thumbup1:

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had a ok time at this last fest. but it did seem like it was a buyers market for the most part. the ones who put up items at a reasonable rate sold them rather quickly, the ones whom put up items up at "list" prices basicly saw there items sit there all fest. i know i made probably 400 mil during the fest...but alas i spent it as fast as i made it.i alone spent about 600 mil, and used 10 transfer tokens. i know thats not much to some people but to me that was a lot!.

also i have noticed a small inflation in new event items which may cause some of the percieved lack is sales some people have had. when new event items come out with prices of 80-100 mil the day after they get them it makes it harder for the lower end collectors to get any of them.so when you have 20-30 of a item come out and people start selling them for 100 mil a pop, sure the richer members will buy theres for the 100 mil but then you have the 8 or 9 that are just going to sit there because no one else is willing to pay that.just my thoughts.

tehfloof

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think January would be too early. not everyone can rack in several hundreds of millions of gold every month. It took me 2 months to get to 100 mil. :/ If it was in January, between trying to gather more gold and being busy with holiday things, I wouldn't have the money to make it worth wile in Jan.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay, only took a year and a half...but it seems people are beginning to actually think what I have to say has merit!

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me, personally, this was the first Rares Fest at which I actually bought something to keep for my own collection.

...Admittedly, it was only 5mil, and I've already made all that money back and more, but...

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're the expert.

What would you suggest?
I don't know. Perhaps what I have been repeating for over a year?

Since no one really gives a damn, feel free to waste your gold...allow the same thieves to rip you off...while watching the friends you know quit as a result...

Here on stratics they call that building community!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me, personally, this was the first Rares Fest at which I actually bought something to keep for my own collection.

...Admittedly, it was only 5mil, and I've already made all that money back and more, but...
Many collectors spend over 200 mil a year just on tokens. The most I spent was 400 million last year. All that gold goes to other areas of the UO community instead of the hands of another collector in fair trades.

Oh and FYI, there are a few collectors out there who are up in arms over my thoughts of two per year. Why? They make their gold by selling tokens...:popcorn:

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see.

And since you're so well versed in the politics of all this. When does Baja get their Rares Festival?

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many collectors spend over 200 mil a year just on tokens. The most I spent was 400 million last year. All that gold goes to other areas of the UO community instead of the hands of another collector in fair trades.

Oh and FYI, there are a few collectors out there who are up in arms over my thoughts of two per year. Why? They make their gold by selling tokens...:popcorn:
Well I don't sell tokens and I'm all for up to 4 per year. Its just a difference of opinion, I don't have to agree with what you say. Nor do you have to agree with me. I don't collect or do events for resale so I don't really think of things in token cost. Usually if something needs moving people just chip in. If you are going everywhere solo than you should try and find a group to throw in with.

What was it?!

If the Baja hosts plan on holding the festival in January than that's good with me, whatever ya'll decide.

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so umm.. this arguement has been going on for well over a year now. were starting to sound like congress. can we just bring this to a vote or consensus , make a descision on where the next 2 or 3 fests will be and award later fests at least 6-8 months in advance... you know like how they do it in the olympics and get this over with.

please:thumbup:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But the awarding of the real olympics and even more so the footbalL world cup is so corrupt...lol.....u cant compare this to awarding a rares fest to a shard....lol...unless someone is taking LARGE back handers like the olympics and INDEED the latest world cup....LOL

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as a small collector i see 3x a year...every 4 months working just fine...i think 4 is too much and 2 would be too little of a good thing.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I don't sell tokens and I'm all for up to 4 per year. Its just a difference of opinion, I don't have to agree with what you say. Nor do you have to agree with me. I don't collect or do events for resale so I don't really think of things in token cost. Usually if something needs moving people just chip in. If you are going everywhere solo than you should try and find a group to throw in with.
You know dude, I won't get into our issues. As far back as I can recall, you have always just made it a point to disagree with me. As someone else mentioned, its getting political in here.

As far as you being able to afford 4 per year...well good for you. Perhaps if you were footing the bill on some of the transferring others do for you, you might have a change of heart.

There was a time when you supported DVIs thoughts on fests, yet here I am with the same thoughts and you disagree. :(

@ Warder Dragon...put in a bid for a LATE spring rares fest. Might want to wait in line though, considering others have been trying to get fest for longer.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Warder Dragon...put in a bid for a LATE spring rares fest. Might want to wait in line though, considering others have been trying to get fest for longer.
Baja has been pushed back twice to accomidate shards who believe themselves more ...deserving.

You don't seem concerned about that particular injustice.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do we all have to go through the never ending cycle of fighting with one another about where it is, how many a year....? Why dont we actually do this like Congress as Yanaki has posted earlier? Let Athelas gather all the running candidates for the next rares fest, then we all vote. Run it like the presidental election i guess. And make another poll on what time of year it is heald or how many a year we should have it. All this fighting everyone is doing (myself included) isnt getting us anywhere, all it is doing is giving us headaches and lagging up the page with complaints and negative remarks....

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know dude, I won't get into our issues. As far back as I can recall, you have always just made it a point to disagree with me. As someone else mentioned, its getting political in here.

As far as you being able to afford 4 per year...well good for you. Perhaps if you were footing the bill on some of the transferring others do for you, you might have a change of heart.

There was a time when you supported DVIs thoughts on fests, yet here I am with the same thoughts and you disagree. :(

While I'm not sure what issues you are referring to, the only reason I felt the need to post is you were saying the reason folks would want more than 2 festivals a year is because they have some sort of agenda, selling tokens for example. I for one just enjoy festivals. I enjoy the bartering, the shopping, the meeting new people, the community events, the live and silent auctions, the community tours, and the hard work put in overall to make a good festival. There is and always will be more to festivals than making gold on vendors and the auction house.

Regarding the tokens, if you read what I wrote I suggested throwing in with someone. By throwing in I mean everyone pays a bit, which is what I do. I think most will find it is the best and most cost effective option.

Bottom line is you can try and make this into some sort of "you vs me" thing but it just isn't. If you make unfair statements than you have expect someone to say something about it.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Baja has been pushed back twice to accomidate shards who believe themselves more ...deserving.

You don't seem concerned about that particular injustice.
Well, you know dude...I have asked to be allowed into the cool kids club but have yet to be given an invitation. Until that time all I can do is gripe about the shoulda coulda woulda. As far as your particular injustice, perhaps if you perused through some of my old fest posts you would notice a pattern of speaking out about just that sort of thing happening. No matter though, feel free to kick me in the balls at your leisure for no reason at all.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wasn't there a council formed to help decided when and who got the next fest? WTH ever happened to that?

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wasn't there a council formed to help decided when and who got the next fest? WTH ever happened to that?
I don't think we have an issue as to who is running what, its more of a dates issue.

We'll have to get the festival hosts to enlighten us.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I'm not sure what issues you are referring to, the only reason I felt the need to post is you were saying the reason folks would want more than 2 festivals a year is because they have some sort of agenda, selling tokens for example. I for one just enjoy festivals. I enjoy the bartering, the shopping, the meeting new people, the community events, the live and silent auctions, the community tours, and the hard work put in overall to make a good festival. There is and always will be more to festivals than making gold on vendors and the auction house.

Regarding the tokens, if you read what I wrote I suggested throwing in with someone. By throwing in I mean everyone pays a bit, which is what I do. I think most will find it is the best and most cost effective option.

Bottom line is you can try and make this into some sort of "you vs me" thing but it just isn't. If you make unfair statements than you have expect someone to say something about it.

Unfair what? All I did was point out the obvious costs for people bringing characters, goods, and money to other shards for these fests....and somehow you still disagree.

Now of course the economics of a fest are only one aspect, but they are one that must be taken into account when deciding how and when to do fests. In the end it would be nicer for me to see everyone twice a year than 30% of the people 4 times a year. Just makes sense...especially on the social level.

Besides Athelas, what you talk about isn't a festival...its a family reunion. They do those usually once a year....even though I am fine with too.

Oh, and DVI believed in two fests a year. You once felt the same. That is until I chimed in about the same beliefs. Strange how that works...

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think we have an issue as to who is running what, its more of a dates issue.

Trouble is, your little committee has an issue with bottlenecks and you don't even realize it. By the time information gets to you, it is already too late to do anything about it.

Glad all is peachy up on cloud 9, its raining dead fish down here....over.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My opinion is.. whoever plans to host a fest SHOULD decide the dates. If the Baja guys plan to host one in january, ill be there.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rares fest should be every 6 months + lowest population shards should get 1st priority.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do we all have to go through the never ending cycle of fighting with one another about where it is, how many a year....? Why dont we actually do this like Congress as Yanaki has posted earlier? Let Athelas gather all the running candidates for the next rares fest, then we all vote. Run it like the presidental election i guess. And make another poll on what time of year it is heald or how many a year we should have it. All this fighting everyone is doing (myself included) isnt getting us anywhere, all it is doing is giving us headaches and lagging up the page with complaints and negative remarks....
Trouble is, mgmt. in this is a complete clusterfudge. As I have stated before, those who showed prior interest should be allowed top bidding if they still wish to hold the fest. As WarderDragon mentioned and I have complained about before, Baja has gotten the shaft a couple of times.

Want to make this right, ask the previous candidates if they are up for hosting still. Votes don't work either...since multiple usernames are legit here.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfair what? All I did was point out the obvious costs for people bringing characters, goods, and money to other shards for these fests....and somehow you still disagree.
I dont see alot of ppl complaining for 15m transfers.

In fact, I think its quite the opposite. Less fests per year is only good for those people that permanently has a luna vendor on every shard selling overpriced "clicky/vendormachine" items that people can find on fest time for 1/5 price.
I still remember the Olmecian Access Orb prices on LS, at 20m+ in the first 5-10 days then 1.5m on fest time.
More fests per year means an extra cost on xfer tokens but a big big big save on those tons of 2m clicky items.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Now of course the economics of a fest are only one aspect, but they are one that must be taken into account when deciding how and when to do fests. In the end it would be nicer for me to see everyone twice a year than 30% of the people 4 times a year. Just makes sense...especially on the social level.

Besides Athelas, what you talk about isn't a festival...its a family reunion. They do those usually once a year....even though I am fine with too.

Oh, and DVI believed in two fests a year. You once felt the same. That is until I chimed in about the same beliefs. Strange how that works...

Clearly you need to go back over what you wrote previously, I'm not going to repeat myself over and over again nor am I going to endlessly argue with you over things that never happened.

In my opinion the magic number for festivals is 3 but I'm ok with up to 4. I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me, that is just how I feel about it. BUT, if you RC and whomever feel that 2 per year is the way to go than by all means feel free to follow those guidelines. Nothing has been set in stone, I just personally believe 2 to be too little. I'll be happy as long as we have them.

The way things went initially is GL wanted to host another festival and they got their proposal in first. Then Baja's came in and because (MOA) GL's time was so flexible they were happy with Baja going first. Again I'm not clear on the dates because I'm not involved host or staff wise. Having personally co-run a festival myself I know what sort of planning goes into one. If Baja has January planned than there is a reason for that. I know our festival was planned for when it was because that was a weekend where the both of us would be readily available.

Point is, if anyone has a problem with the festival dates they'll have to bring that up with the hosts. After all, they are the ones putting in the time.

**Edit**
lowest population shards should get 1st priority.
An interesting idea, but shouldn't it still be first come first serve or should we have a deadline for when all proposals should be in? Otherwise it just seems unfair to those that already have their dates set (Baja, GL, -Sakura-)

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Demonous. You have the unique perspective of seeing how things have sold through your private auctions. I would be interested in hearing your outlook on how bidding has or hasn't changed over the course of the fests you have catered to. From what I could tell, bidding was down from last fest...but perhaps I am mistaken.
i would say that yes bidding was down this festival compared to the last, i'd say the main reason being is because we had so many items submitted this time around, atlantic is an extremely populated shard and i doubt I'll ever be involved in a rares fest on that shard again, way too much work, not impressed with players attitudes on the shard either, perhaps i need to limit the amount of rares someone can submit, and ill tell you no one will be submitting enough items to take up a whole floor, of the rings gave in close to 30 items, he was hardly ever on, couldn't even contact him till like 5 days after the festival, so things will definitely be changed next time, obviously the security measures will be increased a bit because of what happened with hoodwink

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 a year is good

1/2011 Chesapeake, 4/2011 Lake Superior, 9/2011 Atlantic

lets keep it that way....

1/2012....xxxx....... 4-5/2012....xxxx.........8-9/2012...xxxx....

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 a year is good

1/2011 Chesapeake, 4/2011 Lake Superior, 9/2011 Atlantic

lets keep it that way....

1/2012....xxxx....... 4-5/2012....xxxx.........8-9/2012...xxxx....
Apparently you didn't get DVI's original memo. The plan was never to go more than two per year. *let's keep it that way* would suggest this was as it was supposed to be. Again, it isn't.

Also, how many of these have you attended with your own char from your native shard?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but 2011 had 4!!!! including the mini fest which was prob as good as some of the others...

Errr im not a big rares collector iam not in the elite club....for a smaller collector like me ....its a lot easier for me to tag onto another travaller and share xhard costs....sending gold and items then bringing back goodies....than actually move my own char...saying that i made around 300m but spent slightly more...

biggest problem with the last atlantic fest was NOT THAT PEOPLE WERE BROKE......NO WAY....It was the silent auction prices were starting way toooo high.....its as if the uber rares people expected a miniumn 100m for a 1 in 20 drop now....alas thats why about 2/3s of the items did not receive a bid???

The balls in your court elite rares guys/gals.....u nearly outpriced everyone at toad hall...be more carefull at the next on....and u will get a lot more sales......

Looks forward to the next one!!!!!!....be in 2 or 3 x a year.....or 4 like 2011!!!!!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Besides my question as been answered....Seems Baja as been Promised the next fest...we only need to find out when jan/feb and were in the land of Baja it will take place...

Good luck Baja!!!....I will be there.....Plan carefully your layout or some of these guy/gals will be straight on your backs even though youve tried hard and put some real time into running it.!!! xxx

F

Fraggles

but 2011 had 4!!!! including the mini fest which was prob as good as some of the others...

Errr im not a big rares collector iam not in the elite club....for a smaller collector like me ....its a lot easier for me to tag onto another travaller and share xhard costs....sending gold and items then bringing back goodies....than actually move my own char...saying that i made around 300m but spent slightly more...

biggest problem with the last atlantic fest was NOT THAT PEOPLE WERE BROKE......NO WAY....It was the silent auction prices were starting way toooo high.....its as if the uber rares people expected a miniumn 100m for a 1 in 20 drop now....alas thats why about 2/3s of the items did not receive a bid???

The balls in your court elite rares guys/gals.....u nearly outpriced everyone at toad hall...be more carefull at the next on....and u will get a lot more sales......

Looks forward to the next one!!!!!!....be in 2 or 3 x a year.....or 4 like 2011!!!!!!
Yea i think peeps had gold they just didnt want to buy way over priced items!! i know i had plenty of gold there but was unwilling to over pay for items :(