• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who is interested in standing as one voice ?

Who is interested joining with other forum communities to petition on certain issues

• I would be interested

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • I would not be interested

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I could care less :P

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I would not give up my job so a buncha adults could keep playing their fantasy game...:talktothehand:

EDIT: On another note, I realized YEARS ago (AoS) that UO would not longer be the game it once was, so I switched my attitude to nostalgia, and haven't looked back. I accept that UO is no longer the only real skill based community game it used to be. I accept that buying old rares brings back ancient memories, and memories they shall stay.

In the meantime, make me some more items to go on the museum shelf, Mr. Omen!!! :D
Uf... so much for something I didn't even really think in the first place.

I tought it sounded good and always wanted to use that line (by not giving an opinion...)

I'm sorry guys I'm very selfish, and to be honest I tought I'd be called out as a troll, not getting a defensive reply (which by the way allowed me to read your mind pretty well thanks to your numerous posts, and I say this out of respect for your contribution which I also didn't expect)

I only expected to be ignored again, and NOT helped into upgrading to SA.

I am really sorry if I do this, but I am the spoiled child of UO, I am the stranger.

Sometimes I feel pain so profoundly that it dosen't matter to me who did what ; the only thing I can do is stand there and cry and these kind of messages just flow off my fingers and I can't even see what I'm typing (hence my frequent typos)

I'm here so you guys can laugh at me for being such a pathetic nerd that clings to a sick UO like he would his favorite teddy bear.

I cry almost everynight to this, laugh, you have my permission. I am the court jester and do not take myself seriously !

When I see one of grim's post and see 300 something posts the only judgement I have is : here is a dev that cares about communication.

You guys DO know me better than this, I am one of the first to persevere in giving out feedback and I'm taking care of many REAL trolls, that don't CRY and derive pleasure out of this.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I second that! I also ask when do we get our Higher Res. CC as well!!!

Hmm, fine line here. This is falls under "Upcoming Stuff" which I have to be rather tight lipped about. I don't have much say in what information gets released about upcoming things, but I can say that we've been working on a lot of stuff. Some of which you're enjoying now, some which you will enjoy around Halloween, and some of which you will enjoy at a later time.

Kinda on the weak side, but hope that suffices for now.

-Grimm

K

Kayne

Hmm, fine line here. This is falls under "Upcoming Stuff" which I have to be rather tight lipped about. I don't have much say in what information gets released about upcoming things, but I can say that we've been working on a lot of stuff. Some of which you're enjoying now, some which you will enjoy around Halloween, and some of which you will enjoy at a later time.

-Grimm
Grimm thats exactly the kind of communication that we gripe about. You gave us information that basically said "we're working on it be patient"
The fact you gave us the good old "upcoming stuff" line instead of silence is brilliant.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Grimm
Thank you!

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm thats exactly the kind of communication that we gripe about. You gave us information that basically said "we're working on it be patient"
The fact you gave us the good old "upcoming stuff" line instead of silence is brilliant.
Well, and that's the thing, I don't like giving canned answers, but there is subject matter that I have a professional responsibility to protect. Sadly, sometimes that means I have to post that I can't really answer your question. It's no fun for me, but that's how most companies roll.

-Grimm

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I second that! I also ask when do we get our Higher Res. CC as well!!!

-Grimm
Grimm,

Reading this seems to imply that the CC will be getting a high rez update along with the EC.

People cried about the "accidental" inclusion of an EC sheep in the CC... They will cry over pretty much any art overhaul to the CC...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since you are being talkative Grimm...

I'd like to ask you to please pretty please fix the Gargish robes... They currently look hideously ugly on the paperdoll... Ingame on my character they don't look too bad but on the paperdoll it's the most hideous looking burlap bag sort of thing I've ever seen... And Deathrobes don't even have any form at all on Gargoyles..... least wise not on the paperdoll.....

I also noticed from making many characters on test lately that while making a gargoyle the paperdoll there has a VERY awesome looking robe up until you change your skillset... then it turns to the hideously ugly burlap bag... gray looking thing...

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm,

Reading this seems to imply that the CC will be getting a high rez update along with the EC.

People cried about the "accidental" inclusion of an EC sheep in the CC... They will cry over pretty much any art overhaul to the CC...
Negative. No high res update for the CC.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you are being talkative Grimm...

I'd like to ask you to please pretty please fix the Gargish robes... They currently look hideously ugly on the paperdoll... Ingame on my character they don't look too bad but on the paperdoll it's the most hideous looking burlap bag sort of thing I've ever seen... And Deathrobes don't even have any form at all on Gargoyles..... least wise not on the paperdoll.....

I also noticed from making many characters on test lately that while making a gargoyle the paperdoll there has a VERY awesome looking robe up until you change your skillset... then it turns to the hideously ugly burlap bag... gray looking thing...
Well, I'll ad this to my todo list. I'm not working on animations in that respect as the moment, but if the opportunity arises, I'll see about getting approval.

.. and yea, I've been REALLY chatty, huh?

Cheers,
Grimm

S

soulstoner

knee jerk opinion from this corner on Subject is of the perspective the majority of the player population does not forum - therefore I'm not for the grouping of forumers to be 'petitioning' anything. I much like how things evolve as is.

although I am for the concept of the voice-of-the-people - I'm cynical and believe democracy does not truly exist only but as a facade and too often the loudest voice is generally from a souped up special interest minority. :eyes: the game is much like rl society and that's impressive as I'm not sure it is intentional by design or just evolved that way over the 14+ years.

C

Capn Kranky

Kayne - call it sort of an NDA. There are certain things that cannot be disclosed in detail (or at all). I've had to do that when I led projects ... just tell customers that such-and-so *is* being worked but no details.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm - thanks for the update on the high res art even if you couldn't divulge details.

Can you also put fixing the Samurai Helm animation on your list? It's fine when you walk, but when you ride a horse it floats around your head most oddly. :)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I'm speaking alone in my own world where everything makes sense... yes it was done by design.

Owen Kay Garriott, Ph.D. (born November 22, 1930) is a former NASA astronaut who spent 60 days aboard Skylab in 1973 and 10 days aboard Spacelab-1 in 1983. He is also the father of Robert Garriott and fellow spacefarer Richard Garriott,[1] with whom he helped found Origin Systems.
Um ok...

Garriott was born in Enid, Oklahoma. He graduated from Enid High School in 1948; received a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Oklahoma in 1953, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity
Phi Kappa what ? :p

Former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson
U.S. Senators Paul Coverdell (R-GA) and Evan Bayh (D-IN)
Astronaut Owen Garriott
Father of the U.S. Air Force, Brig. General William L "Billy" Mitchell
Actors Roy Schneider, Peter Graves, and Edward Herrmann
Olympic Athletes Mark Spitz, Kevin Berry, Michael Burton and John P. Kinsella
These are only a few of the many great Phi Psi's of the past century.
I believe that Phi Kappa Psi is a brotherhood of honorable men, courteous and cultured, who pledge throughout their lives to be generous, compassionate and loyal comrades;

I believe that I am honor bound to strive manfully for intellectual, moral, and spiritual excellence; to help and forgive my Brothers; to discharge promptly all just debts; to give aid and sympathy to all who are less fortunate;

I believe that I am honor bound to strengthen my character and deepen my integrity; to counsel and guide my brothers who stray from their obligations; to respect and emulate my Brothers who practice moderation in their manners and morals; to be ever mindful that loyalty to my Fraternity should not weaken loyalty to my college, but rather increase devotion to it, to my country, and to my God;

I believe that to all I meet, wherever I go, I represent not only Phi Kappa Psi, but indeed the spirit of all fraternities; thus I must ever conduct myself so as to bring respect and honor not to myself alone, but also to my Fraternity;

To the fulfillment of these beliefs, of these ideals, in the noble perfection of Phi Kappa Psi, I pledge my life and my sacred honor.
Standing as one voice ? Making this beautiful thread into a discussion about wether or not we have high res art ?

Talk about thread derailing...

K

Kayne

Kayne - call it sort of an NDA. There are certain things that cannot be disclosed in detail (or at all). I've had to do that when I led projects ... just tell customers that such-and-so *is* being worked but no details.
I know how it works Kranky. :)

Well, and that's the thing, I don't like giving canned answers, but there is subject matter that I have a professional responsibility to protect. Sadly, sometimes that means I have to post that I can't really answer your question. It's no fun for me, but that's how most companies roll.

-Grimm
I dont think most people like canned answers either Grimm (except Politicians of course :lick: ) but it really is great to get a hint that something is going on even if you cant tell us much/anything about it.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Suggestion:

Why don't we open a thread that is for suggestions only. No commentary, no rebuttals, just ideas and observations on the game that we think will improve things for the WHOLE game, not the old school players who have been around for years and years, or the new players who just jumped in (looks in mirror). Suggestions that will balance the game, make an impact for everyone and make things better for all.

This thread can be used to collect data and common themes of ideas that can be easily viewed by anyone who wants to look.

Of course everyone would have to agree that they will be constructive and offer legitimate ideas and opportunities.... Can we all do that?

Some will win a bit, some will lose a bit, but we will have a better game for everyone.

EDIT: just wanted to add that we could possibly sticky it and keep a tally of the categories of ideas that are being offered (i.e.- economy/crafting/housing/skills/graphics/sound/EC/CC/etc.).

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole forum is made for that, my dear noob friend (no offense)...

Each suggestion needs discussion and improvement and thats what we've been doing for a while...

however we realise our suggestions rarely even get considered... and there is an alarming tendancy for a few players who we know came here with their suggestion and got rebutted admirably... and somehow, there old time players who can pull some strings and we see their suggestions being implemented AS IF everyone had asked for it for years...

and we remember... hence why the heated discussions have brought up this thread about making something more official... so at least if we get told we're just nerds and have no influence in the game... we can still have the satisfaction of holding consensus...

but as you can see we even get one of the devs chiming in here to remind us that finally we can't know whats going on much, we can't suggest anything much, we have no power...

All we can do is sit here and be spoonfed that I'm not going to speculate on.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The whole forum is made for that, my dear noob friend (no offense)...

Each suggestion needs discussion and improvement and thats what we've been doing for a while...

however we realise our suggestions rarely even get considered... and there is an alarming tendancy for a few players who we know came here with their suggestion and got rebutted admirably... and somehow, there old time players who can pull some strings and we see their suggestions being implemented AS IF everyone had asked for it for years...

and we remember... hence why the heated discussions have brought up this thread about making something more official... so at least if we get told we're just nerds and have no influence in the game... we can still have the satisfaction of holding consensus...

but as you can see we even get one of the devs chiming in here to remind us that finally we can't know whats going on much, we can't suggest anything much, we have no power...

All we can do is sit here and be spoonfed that I'm not going to speculate on.
No offense taken! I am a noob in this game, but maybe that's where my optimism comes from. Don't stiffle my enthusiasm; direct it in a constructive way. There is nothing worse than seeing doom and gloom in every post. It's like holding a coversation with Eyore.

I'm planning on making suggestion after suggestion after suggestion, and they may not be looked at or reveiwed, but I firmly believe that if they are constructive and offer realistic and interesting ideas, they will create a conversation here on the boards and help enhance the community we have.

One thing you will notice about me as I post here and participate online. I don't give up once I set my mind to something... I'm a stubborn old mule of a fellow.

Stay tuned!

:danceb:

P.S. - One thing you might want to consider.... The Dev who responded, actually DID look at the posts, and I'd bet dollars to dognuts that they all do. They run out of ideas too....

K

Kayne

Ned you'll get used to Ahua - he/she tends to be very negative and gloomy like Eeyore. :p

On another note if we could stick to constructive comments and not resort to circling around or eventually attacks on people then the idea of having one thread where that happens is great but as we saw in the secure trade suggestion the topic went in circles until closed.

We are a stubborn bunch really lol

J

Jhym

Anytime support groups gather together for UO, there is the initial "wow we are all interested UO" phase.

Then the "let's list bugs and annoyances".

Then the "wow, they fixed one or two of what we asked for" phase.

Then the "since they are listening, now we will all announce every single thing we want and demand it" phase.

Then the "they aren't listening to us any more because they didn't take my great idea|fix|change, I quit this group" phase.

Long term, I have seen very few groups that have actually stayed consistent. There is almost always some breakdown in communication, or someone tries to hijack the purposes of the group and put their own ideas in play rather than the consensus. Or worse, the consensus ends up being something stupid or unplayable (or just annoying because some people have to be hand-held just to stand up in the morning, it appears.)

I just don't see the point, when many of the groups I've watched honestly don't speak for me, nor even for themselves half the time.

And then, when group A gets what they said they wanted, they complain BITTERLY if it isn't what they thought they wanted, or if it is in any way not as cool as a boxum blond standing on the bridge of a ship with the air ruffling through their wavy hair and their best man on their hip.

It's like herding stink bugs on an angry cat in a windstorm.

:pie:

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your logic is flawed dear Jhym... everytime you use A+B = C you risk creating distortion in your logic, you have to co-opt other perspectives for your whole "cycle" to make sense.

Then the "since they are listening, now we will all announce every single thing we want and demand it" phase.

Then the devs themselves, realise they are not able to fix all that was requested because they either aren't competent or someone decides they not only should not repair it ; BUT ALSO THEY SHOULDNT SAY NO : we wont fix this, or we can't. This is very crucial to understand.

Fear of looking incompetent ? Theres a big issue here, its a bit too late to bury consciousness and go on our merry way. I'm not doomy and gloomy, I'm saying the truths through the moderate eyes of philosophy ; sometimes it does sound negative but thats because I wasn't born on the last rain ; and I've seen things I can't talk about. Enough said...

Then the "they aren't listening to us any more because they didn't take my great idea|fix|change, I quit this group" phase.

Only a few people are like this, since I created my new stratics screen name two years ago I have a very good idea of who has nice ideas and how they communicated them ; the sum part of these observations makes it feel unreal.

There is a true gap between intention and communication from the dev team, and its not because of professional secret, since its not acknowledging the bug in the first place that is the problem.

And you can even use the term "bug" broadly...

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I do see how every discussion tends to devolve into a crab-fest. People get frustrated. Mostly it's because they have a single gripe the really sticks in their craw, and not everyone thinks it's as important as they do.

Realistically.... I think we as a community should try to decide on a single issue and offer suggestions to fix it and make the game better. Splitting the issues is what makes EVERYTHING get ignored. Focus may be the key. I'm definitely not saying that ideas should be withheld, to the contrary, but I do believe that the one thing we want the Development Team to look at should be focused and refined and kept in a single easy to view place.

For me it would be the economy. For someone else it might be the EC/Graphics. Still another might think it's the Fel/Tram split or the Questing system. There are also those who are happy and willing to ride the wave....

One thing I do know is that no matter what gets changed, someone is going to feel that it has ruined their game. It doesn't matter how much it improved the game as a whole, it's all about our own stuff and our own collections and our own power base.

It's a twisty, slippery, broken-glass covered slope but there's a light at the end down there if we can focus....

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do see how every discussion tends to devolve into a crab-fest. People get frustrated. Mostly it's because they have a single gripe the really sticks in their craw, and not everyone thinks it's as important as they do.

Realistically.... I think we as a community should try to decide on a single issue and offer suggestions to fix it and make the game better. Splitting the issues is what makes EVERYTHING get ignored. Focus may be the key. I'm definitely not saying that ideas should be withheld, to the contrary, but I do believe that the one thing we want the Development Team to look at should be focused and refined and kept in a single easy to view place.

For me it would be the economy. For someone else it might be the EC/Graphics. Still another might think it's the Fel/Tram split or the Questing system. There are also those who are happy and willing to ride the wave....

One thing I do know is that no matter what gets changed, someone is going to feel that it has ruined their game. It doesn't matter how much it improved the game as a whole, it's all about our own stuff and our own collections and our own power base.

It's a twisty, slippery, broken-glass covered slope but there's a light at the end down there if we can focus....
Thanks you Ned that finally makes sense... Thats whats been happening.

And sometimes someone has a wonderful idea and writes it down a little in a hurry because they're so happy to have tought it and then they come here and a few ettins that have less than 20 posts come in and somehow always manage to gain the sympathy of a few people because of insignificant errors in the idea ; people that the original poster *TOUGHT HE KNEW* and then he gets on the defensive, seeing people he tought made sense are now influenced by some random fool that isn't even constructive.

It's a bit funny for me to think about it... having been an awarded beta tester (submitted over 300 bugs), a seer and a companion.

When they put in trammel, they ruined the game (my perspective allows me to say that and it goes beyond "practical" issues straight into ethico-philosophic) the game was ruined by people who wanted to live off of it. And somehow there is no other way to see the game ruining changes (trammel and AoS) than to realise someone pulled a few strings so the game would switch from community based :

*intense sociologic buildup, release, change, dynamism*

to a world of war based :

*eternal social division, removing need for parties, guilds compete not for ideals or virtue but for posessions ; eternal warring makes for an eternal economy ; eternal expansion packs and more dividing of community because of too big landmass, or allowing people to farm champion spawns ALONE?!*

And the sad thing about all this is that is awefully the same in real life. Anyone who learned from history realises the problem with those eternal wars. The US is bombing what, 12 countries right now ? Has secret operatives in how many ?

Why should it be different when Marquis Dragon himself was filmed saying in around 2004 that gold and item selling in games (mainly UO) was a multi-million business.

Oh and they were wise, they don't need UO anymore, they reinvested in a more legal scheme and use little chinese workers to farm their gold (Marquis dragon has since stopped the unethical behavior, looks like he had a regain in consciousness, or maybe he knew he had enough money and he feared having made a legal error somewhere) in many many games.

So right now there is no reason Ultima online should be something other than an ULTIMA ; exept for them.

Twist it which ever way you want you will always come down to this.

Does the US stand as one voice ? Does stratics stand as one voice ?

Fear ?... or Lazyness ?

You see from my perspective, the slope could have a mine field on it and I couldn't care less, I'm flying.

T

Tabbitha

WOW,you lot SURE know how to derail a thread,lol.

However,I really dont mind because apart from the expected disagreement with the original topic,I think the thread as a whole has been very fruitful,and I really appreciate many of the honest and very well worded replies.

I am also very grateful to Grimm ,for dusting off the cobwebs,and posting some decent responses for folk.

I beleive discussions are going on with our new producer ,behind the scenes, but what has been discussed so far I have no idea.

If I get to know anything,I will be sure to update everyone.

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted.

I will now hand the thread over to discuss what ever you want :p

POLL CLOSED.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
WOW,you lot SURE know how to derail a thread,lol.

However,I really dont mind because apart from the expected disagreement with the original topic,I think the thread as a whole has been very fruitful,and I really appreciate many of the honest and very well worded replies.

I am also very grateful to Grimm ,for dusting off the cobwebs,and posting some decent responses for folk.

I beleive discussions are going on with our new producer ,behind the scenes, but what has been discussed so far I have no idea.

If I get to know anything,I will be sure to update everyone.

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted.

I know will hand the thread over to discuss what ever you want :p

POLL CLOSED.
For your next poll, I'm hoping you can help us all identify the single issue that is most pressing for the most people. We can then get down to the business of making suggestions in a focused manner!

:danceb::banana: :Breakdancing Brussle Sprout: