• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who is interested in standing as one voice ?

Who is interested joining with other forum communities to petition on certain issues

• I would be interested

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • I would not be interested

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I could care less :P

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

Tabbitha

following this thread Lost: EA Customers ,I picked up on the following comment

... I've not played for over a year since I cancelled the two accounts I played. That doesn't mean I want to see the game I loved playing for so many years just curl up and die. Quite the opposite. Hence why I keep an eye on what's happening, perchance that it's actually worthwhile coming back some day...

Instead of bickering, why don't the Stratics community (and any other sizeable forum communities), get their heads together, get the registered members together, petition, poll, stand as one voice, whatever...

Get some answers.

Individuals smarting on a forum isn't going to get answers, but a large chunk of the player base that's left, just might.

I am curious to see just who is /isn't willing to do something more positive

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interested, but..... cautious.

All of us who have been involved in multiple forums have been aware of some, shall we say 'personality clashes', differences of views and sometimes outright disagreements of varying degrees of politeness amongst and between the varying sites, owners, staff and member. I'm not sure there is a way to get around those affecting future 'whole community' campaigns - unless there is a neutral place for those subjects to be presented, explained and maybe in some way discussed (although that may be best done through the existing forums?) and/or 'voted on'.

I'd have hoped the 'neutral' could be somewhere like the UOHerald, and some form of polling or feedback system included in the splash screens on launching the client or in the account management pages, while the discussions/arguments and such can keep running across the various forums, each in their own style.

The idea of 'focus groups' was used in the past on many mmos, and given how complex UO is that may be a good way to go, since I know nothing about, say, PvP (other than wanting it to work well for the people who enjoy it) so asking me to express an opinion on how to change it would be silly, since I simply don't know enough, and it makes little sense my 'vote' should count equally with a vote from someone who does understand it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a long time Siege player, I can say that petitions and poll rarely yield anything, and if they do, its years too late.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of bickering, why don't the Stratics community (and any other sizeable forum communities), get their heads together, get the registered members together, petition, poll, stand as one voice, whatever...
Privately there is some early brainstorming going on in this direction. Something to the effect of "something more positive".

E

Evlar

There will always be differences of opinion. The scope of UO is so large, that's always going to be the case.

That doesn't mean there isn't plenty of common ground though.

The game itself and it's continued existence primarily. I'm sure you're all interested in that.

Downright awful customer service... both in-game and externally when it comes to account issues.

A couple of things to consider there. Find the common ground that affects everyone, or at least most people, then work from there.

More two-way interaction is essential. Dare I say that the "niche" of those still playing UO are perhaps the more "mature" games players, in age if not always mentality.

Working together rather than bickering, encouraging more interaction with developers and producers.

Idealistic... certainly, but UO belongs as much to those playing it, as those running it. Terms of Service might suggest otherwise, but what are the Terms of Service worth if nobody is left playing the game?

If those still playing the game can get their heads together, via mediums such as the prominent forums, then not only am I certain developers will take note, but so will former players. Perhaps with a little effort, some forward momentum will be gained...

E

Evlar

Privately there is some early brainstorming going on in this direction. Something to the effect of "something more positive".
Which is a step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have cared deeply for 14 years, and care no less today. I long to see more Players, of all ages, Role-players and those who are only able to pop in for such time as they may to enjoy Sosaria and its many potential Friends there.

Recent months, especially the "Account Migration Debacle" have severely tested and strained my Love and Support. I'd rather "fight than go gently into the night!" All this said, BOTH the EA suits and the Support at EA and In Game need to recognize and understand that for MANY players the "Fun" factor has been steadily declining.

I may or may not be able to define the most needed changes, but I am totally in support of almost anything that attracts and retains current and future Players.

Sosaria remains for me an amazing and beloved virtual world. It is seldom possible nor desirable to prevent "change;" but almost always best to guide, direct, and nudge change in positive and beneficial directions. Beneficial for the "entire" Community whenever possible, and for the greatest number where sharp differences exist.

Maybe I am idealistic, some may say unrealistic, but I hope Sosaria grows and improves over its next 14 Years.

If we are "To End," let it be an Ending revered and remembered for Generations to come. Better still, Let us Continue creating and building our Sosarian World!!!

Please let this conversation continue!

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
As a long time Siege player, I can say that petitions and poll rarely yield anything, and if they do, its years too late.
OMG if you people that don't live on Siege had ANY IDEA how this man is speaking the gawd awful truth.

Breach on brother... Breach on... :scholar:

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YEah hasnt there been a Communist anti-criticism pom pom waving "community building" thing going for a while. Oh and look where things are now. You keep waving the poms poms at mediocrity and that is what you will keep getting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
YEah hasnt there been a Communist anti-criticism pom pom waving "community building" thing going for a while. Oh and look where things are now. You keep waving the poms poms at mediocrity and that is what you will keep getting.
This^^^ *sighs*

Don't keep telling the DEV's everything is all Peachy Keen when in-fact things are EXTREMELY bleak!

Sick and tired of painting everything in a rosy hue when things are extremely flat and gray...

People are leaving and have been leaving in DROVES...

Why not let them know why?

I know why a bunch of people leave UO. They are sick and tired of broken promises. Fed up with being asked to buy expansions that are only partially finished... waiting YEARS for things to be completed only to have them be ignored... and then dropped.

They come back to check progress and find the same bugs that irritated them before STILL here.

When things are put into game they are often ill conceived and against the general premise of the game. There is less and less community in UO and more and more selfishness. UO has changed from community to greed. More and more are disgusted with the extreme reliance on "items" that has become the norm.

Can't do much of anything if there isn't some special item that will sell for millions... If you can't offer that no one is interested in attending... It's sad.

Folk complain about Imbuing but Imbuing has helped bring back some of the old community.... it's given crafters a new sense of worth and given them some niche once again that's been missing since AoS killed it.

AoS and the advent of "Repair Deeds" had destroyed crafting... The BOD system brought out a massive move for cheating, scripting and Greed... Dupers, cheaters and scripters have completely destroyed the economy of the game...

And you want me to raise one voice?

A question came about changing Factions or adding a new shard to bring back the sense of long ago.... but no one could ever agree on most of it... sadly we have lost any voice because we simply can't agree.

The only agreement was NOT to do any of it.

So folk waited... waited... and waited some more... and then left.

Biter... sad... and irritated.

I still log in every day I can... but more and more often I ask myself why?

Most my friends have gone... I feel as though I'm playing the game solo... and for what? To become irritated by the greed of others... to put up with the utter lack of respect and control shown by so many at public functions.

I'm so disgusted with the behavior of others when I attend events anymore I can't enjoy them. Sadly I watch the EM's and am disgusted that all the hard work they put into providing entertainment and trying to give back community and interest in the game and the principles of the game is wasted on a bunch of greedy little trolls who only attend to get some item and sell it to the highest bidder... If they don't get one or have "wasted" their evening on the event and didn't "get" anything the rest of us who came to enjoy the event have to listen to them cry and carry on begging like a bunch of little spoiled brats for the next half an hour before we can continue talking to the EM's.....

Most of these little brats can't seem to figure out that EM's do NOT = DEV's.... they have NOTHING to do with the Account Mitigation BS... They aren't going to bring back pre-Tram...... and they aren't going to give anyone their robe... So we sit and we wait while week after week the EM's spend 15 to 20 minutes patiently explaining once again that they can't do these things... It's pathetic and deplorable.

The EM events are the biggest reason why I'm still playing... attending the very RP oriented events brings back that lost sense of community for a short period of time... though it's becoming harder and harder to ignore the foolishness and the sickening behavior of some of those who attend them... I'm so disgusted with the crybaby gimme, gimme attitude of others it puts a huge negative cloud over the whole game.

S

Sevin0oo0

severely tested and strained my Love and Support.
the "Fun" factor has been steadily declining.
exactly
tho i voted "I would not be interested", definitely not saying it's not a worthwhile effort.

Wonders about the effectiveness - will they say it's still the same people, just voting multiple times, from multiple forums. Besides, they only have time for 1 fansite don't they?

Wonders about weighting - Seen a lot of "needed" changes that have never appeared in Forums, so unless there's a bit of favoritism going on, they're gonna do whatever they want to anyways

Plus, they already do a great job with FAIL, I don't want my name linked as a contributor.

But if you want a first Cause: petition to get me an exclusion in TOS so I can sell my acct (RMT) - me and my negativity gone would be Great for UO

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Hi Tabbitha,

I'm not sure what you are thinking when you say 'something more positive'. Can you elaborate on your ideas of positive actions? Before I decide to support, or not support this I'd need to know what you mean by positive. Your ideas about what a positive action is might be very different than my ideas of positive actions.

Thanks so much.

AW

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

... I've not played for over a year since I cancelled the two accounts I played. That doesn't mean I want to see the game I loved playing for so many years just curl up and die. Quite the opposite. Hence why I keep an eye on what's happening, perchance that it's actually worthwhile coming back some day...

Get some answers.

Individuals smarting on a forum isn't going to get answers, but a large chunk of the player base that's left, just might.

EA is a company that deals in billions. In the words of Louis L'amour, put your finger in a puddle of water, and pull it out. The hole thats left is us.

We are mosquitos and gnats pestering the suits. Not much more.
My first instinct was to say the only poll that they would listen to is the one in my back pocket...but our numbers are so low now, not sure they would even miss the sub fees :blushing:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi Tabbitha,

I'm not sure what you are thinking when you say 'something more positive'. Can you elaborate on your ideas of positive actions? Before I decide to support, or not support this I'd need to know what you mean by positive. Your ideas about what a positive action is might be very different than my ideas of positive actions.

Thanks so much.

AW
:thumbsup:

K

Kayne

This^^^ *sighs*

Don't keep telling the DEV's everything is all Peachy Keen when in-fact things are EXTREMELY bleak!

Sick and tired of painting everything in a rosy hue when things are extremely flat and gray...

People are leaving and have been leaving in DROVES...

Why not let them know why?

I know why a bunch of people leave UO. They are sick and tired of broken promises. Fed up with being asked to buy expansions that are only partially finished... waiting YEARS for things to be completed only to have them be ignored... and then dropped.

They come back to check progress and find the same bugs that irritated them before STILL here.
I've cut a huge chunk of the post but this man (?) talks some serious sense in his entire post. Devs/EA/Jeff/Whoever else take note of what is said here because it makes so much sense and says all that is needed about UO and whats wrong.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed that when I cancelled two accounts using the new Account Management site, the next screen showed the following message: "We are sorry to see you leave Ultima Online. Please take a moment to complete our short exit survey. We value your feedback as it will allow us to continue to improve the game experience for all players."

Unfortunately, no "exit survey" ever popped up while I was logged into the Account Management site nor did I ever receive e-mails for the two cancellations with links to a survey. Perhaps other people who have cancelled accounts got something though, because my cancellations were done pretty early on (August 14th).

Also, with regard to in-game polls, I have seen several of them, of varying lengths and mostly tied to quests, so they definitely seem like a possibility.

For example, if you turn down the "Terrible Hatchlings" quest from Ansella Gryen (aimed at new samurai characters), a gump comes up asking why you turned it down. The options include: (1) I'm a veteran, I already know how to play; (2) I'm not a veteran, but it can't be that hard to figure out; (3) A friend will be teaching me; (4) I hate tutorials; and (5) Other. If you pick the Other option, you have the opportunity to type in a line of text. The prompt reads, "To help us improve your game play experience, please let us know why you chose against taking the tutorial quest (ESC to cancel, ENTER to submit)."

I know that quest had to have been designed several years ago. Since then, I think additional polling options were also added to UO but I've never seen them used. (Jeremy mentioned it once in an old post or an old FoF but I wasn't able to find it.) Thinking back to the arch cure nerf situation of March 2008, I think the dev team's preferred approach to trying to get feedback is to have people post on Stratics, although Sakarrah did give us a web-based poll one time through some completely unaffiliated site, not Stratics and not the uoherald site. (She wanted feedback on pet dyes.)

Also, don't forget that the new Terms of Service agreement we all had to sign when using the Account Management site pushes all disputes with EA into the arbitration process and I believe tries to take away any ability to become part of a class action lawsuit. Not that we're talking lawsuits here, but that language might be a good indicator of how EA regards its dealings with customers: Hand them off to someone else to deal with when they become a problem.

I think EA has grown too big and is too short handed anymore to think they can afford to really sit down and listen to the subscribers for one of their smaller titles. UO is very important to most of us, but I really think it matters little to EA in the grand scheme of things. The day we see Kai Schober or Rowland Cox, his boss, show up and post here on Stratics in their roles as community representatives, then I will believe something has changed at EA. Until then, I think we're mostly fooling ourselves if we think EA really cares about us as customers.

S

Sevin0oo0

Also, don't forget that the new Terms of Service agreement we all had to sign when using the Account Management site pushes all disputes with EA into the arbitration process and I believe tries to take away any ability to become part of a class action lawsuit. that language might be a good indicator of how EA regards its dealings with customers
it does as long as you have an acct. and you don't have to 'sign' anything, just keep playing indicating your agreement (they'll let you do that). Once you cancel the acct, it severs that pact

here's an interesting page on that:
Have You Signed Away Your Right to Sue? | Mother Jones

how's it feel to be a butt-wipe? like a blood oath gone really bad

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This.

We tried so hard to come to some agreement on any proposed changes that might help Siege thrive again. The problems arise when people refuse to get behind any idea other than their own and refuse to compromise.

And good luck finding the "correct" person to conduct each poll and good luck coming up with the "correct" wording for each poll, because there will always be people complaining about both. Next thing you know there are 4 polls, each on the same subject, only slightly different wording and no one knows which poll to vote in.

But seriously... I no longer play UO, but I do still love this game. I sincerely DO wish you all good luck with this. Hopefully people can put differences aside and come together for the good of the game. My best advice is to put your heads together, put your differences aside, be willing to compromise when trying to find solutions and commit to discussing instead of arguing and attacking each other.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I can only join in on something negative. Union rules.

C

Capn Kranky

^^ this. Although I would like to see a bit more clarification from the OP as to what was/is intended.

I have taken my cash elsewhere but if UO can be helped I could jump in. Best think IMNSHO is for a company that cares to actually take over the UO business. EA is not caring at all.

T

Tabbitha

All of us who have been involved in multiple forums have been aware of some, shall we say 'personality clashes', differences of views and sometimes outright disagreements of varying degrees of politeness amongst and between the varying sites, owners, staff and member. I'm not sure there is a way to get around those affecting future 'whole community' campaigns - unless there is a neutral place for those subjects to be presented, explained and maybe in some way discussed (although that may be best done through the existing forums?) and/or 'voted on'.
I fully understand what you are saying Aurelius and happen to agree.

However some of us are trying to mend bridges and smooth things out so that something like this COULD be a possibility with careful planning,and hopefully the backing of the Mythic team.

I'd have hoped the 'neutral' could be somewhere like the UOHerald, and some form of polling or feedback system included in the splash screens on launching the client or in the account management pages, while the discussions/arguments and such can keep running across the various forums, each in their own style.
Makes perfect sense for it to be done that way.

T

Tabbitha

Wow some great responses from you guys,even those not really bothered have laid down some really good and valid points as to what has gone wrong,when,where and why.

I can't respond personally to every post so will have to generalise in my response.

If I can just briefly say,I came to the MMRPG plate quite late in life,having only ever played Zelda and Lara Croft.

UO found me at a very low point in my life,and it just enthralled me.
Being able to actually play a game with people from all over the planet in real time was mind blowing,and I fell in love with UO hook line and sinker.

The adrenaline rush from my first kill was amazing,and I went from noob to running my own guild before like many players,after years of putting my heart and soul into the game the apathy over took me and I eventually moved on to another game.

I have never lost my passion for my first love though,and it is so sad to see the road the game has gone down.

I fully understand everyones reluctance to 'give things 'another try because it has been done so many times before and we all have seen many,many people with the best of intentions come and go, Binky,Draconi and Grimm Omen to name but a few.

HOWEVER ,I remember the great times I had in UO.
The sheer terror I felt the first time I went in a dungeon and faced dragons persay,and the adrenalin rush to get myself out alive [ if possible]

I remember being part of some great RP scenarios and how I could lose myself for a few hours in someone elses 'fantasy'.

YES the game mechanics have changed
YES there are rude beligerent loud mouths running around
YES the playerbase has dropped massively.
YES there are a thousand more problems

It is still a GREAT game though,and with obviously thousands of people still logging in thats what drives me to keep trying and support people who want to try make a difference.

In response to Amber Witch

I'm not sure what you are thinking when you say 'something more positive'. Can you elaborate on your ideas of positive actions?
You know what AW,I am not entirely sure at this point of my thoughts myself,except to say with each new 'head honcho' comes a new excitement that THIS could be the person who is going to make a difference.
We all know where that has gone in the past and we have all been left bitterly dissapointed once again.

However I get a different 'instinct' about Jeff Skalski,dont ask me why :p

There is not ONE area of the game that does not need something doing to improve it or make it work as it was even supposed to from the concept.

I know there is a huge mountain of blips,glitches,bugs and so on .

There are threads ,posts within them, with layer after layer of concerns and grievances.

Its no wonder the Devs cannot keep up.

The closest we got to Dev/player interaction was the 5 on Friday wich Jeremy tried to keep going.

I guess what my idea ultimately is,is that there is a coming together over the various site forums.
Common concerns grouped together and then forwarded or posted on an agreed medium.
A place where players can voice their concerns and know without a doubt that some one from the UO team is going to look,listen and ACT on .

The ideal place would be an official UO site[ ie UO Herald] where maybe an elected person from each of the fansites had permission to post the topics causing the most concerns.

I am not likely to be one of these people,as I am just a small cog in a much bigger wheel of site owners and Administrators who need to be the ones to iron out the pro's and cons and as Nok said,this is already taking place.

We DO need to be heard though and make known our views on the topic.

Wether you are a yay or naye,your opinions are still important

UO has an essence all of its own, and yes there are more up to date games with bigger,better,shinier stuff to offer,but not a one of them has that special 'something' UO has that makes it worth fighting for and keep trying to petition and ballot for the changes that are needed to get the game back to something like it should be.

I dont know if I have made any sense or explained my self in a satisfactory way,but I am grateful to everyone who has taken the time to respond to this thread.

Finally I have to say a special thanks to Malagaste for a great post,that said it all so precisely.

Please do continue to vote and post.

/regards

K

Kayne

Grimm I note that you keep popping in and answering where necessary. Can we get your thoughts on whats been posted here? Is that even allowed?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Get some answers.

EA is a company that deals in billions. In the words of Louis L'amour, put your finger in a puddle of water, and pull it out. The hole thats left is us.

We are mosquitos and gnats pestering the suits. Not much more.
My first instinct was to say the only poll that they would listen to is the one in my back pocket...but our numbers are so low now, not sure they would even miss the sub fees :blushing:
I am afraid Uriah is very much correct. UO has slipped so low on the radar over the last few years in subscriptions that we dont even have a place on the list of CS "games" list for help!
This tells you one very important thing many dotn want to hear... If we protest too much UO will go the way of the Dodo bird. EA doesnt support UO any longer so what cash we get in is what Mythic has to play with. BioWare is our main "god", we have sunk so low on the totum pole.
I'd love to say aww your just seeing things on a gloomy day.. but to be quite honest there isnt enough players left to man 4 full shards. and its growing less and less each month. Billing didnt help us with the fiasco but its not just the billing. Malagaste said it best its from years and years of promises and patches full of unwanted changes, restrictions, broken promises of fixes. All old players know what I speak of we all have sat there and listend to our friends tell us "Thats it, i quit!" after a patch that was to fix or do something that was important.

I would vote yes but it is too late for UO. I can feel the game slipping away even though I for one would love to see it hit 20 years old or more.

I am the most die hard player in the game but even I have been thinking of late to leave.

If I do I will leave no foot print in the sand... I will pack up the chars with all the goods, drop the houses and shut down. Not a scrap will I leave for vultures... to quote a author of a old book I read as a child. UO will be a fond memory..

C

Capn Kranky

... <large snip> ... If I do I will leave no foot print in the sand... I will pack up the chars with all the goods, drop the houses and shut down. Not a scrap will I leave for vultures... to quote a author of a old book I read as a child. UO will be a fond memory..
I did this just a short while ago ... painful but I feel the same way. Should I see UO rise from the current state of affairs I also want some stuff to come back with.

C

Capn Kranky

if you can't post comments as has been suggested, could you please forward the discontent to those who need to hear it? Loud and clear please?

As Tabbitha noted, Malagaste presents some good verbage that echoes much of my feelings. I removed my sub and closed up shop a week or so ago because the accounting mess was the last straw in a series of foulups regarding this game since before Tram was around.

Korik Bloodguard

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but stratics use/participation is probably marginally representative of the player base. Any action from here would only represent a small to medium section of their subscribers and therefore not useful as a way of discovering consensus.

Edit: Also, players are not designers. They very rarely alone have the vision to bring the game forward, let alone a mass of people with no experience.

S

Sevin0oo0

Sorry but stratics use/participation is probably marginally representative of the player base.
My thoughts as well - put your finger in a bucket of water, then take it out - observe the dent you left, that's us and our impact.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We do not need more newer or better armor or weapons. We are overloaded with specialty equipment already.

I doubt we will get many new players from this point forward, since a decent suit of imbued armor can cost 30-40M (not counting weapons) and new players get 1K to start. No option to get wealthy except for players who are either merchants or have great sums of ready cash to invest.

If we stop coming up with better and bigger and stronger we don't need new dungeons either. There is actually a decent portion of the player base that isn't interested in bigger and meaner and newer. We are here to play a game that we loved, and due to the "improvements" it is growing more and more difficult to play that game. And any who read these forums cannot overlook the dissatisfaction of a lot of us who have years of involvement here.

Rather reminds me of a bunch of quite spoiled rich children who have so many toys that none can hold their interest for long -- only the drive for more and better and flashier.

Instead, put that time and money into people who know how to play the game and give us more, better, and experienced individuals to work with us in game -- choose people who have played the game and know what is going on. We need in-game support. People to listen to ideas and give us help when we need the help, not hours or days later.

Allow each paid subscription to own two houses -- not on the same shard, but one on each of two shards. This would be a big incentive for many of us to stay, and to play the already existing shards that are losing players.

Consider also a players advisory board. Choose players at random (random being the key word here) to act as advisors to those who make the decisions regarding how this game is played. Periodically drop old members of this advisory committee one at a time, and phase in new blood. Don't switch out the members all at the same time so it doesn't have to start over every month or so.

Reinstitute the area live meetings.

We cannot go back to the "good old days" of the game, although I have indicated support for the addition of a shard like that.

And no matter if nothing else I have said is acceptable, never, never, mess with our accounts as happened recently without giving us advanced warning and explain the changes BEFORE they are required. You have a dedicated community here, let us know what is going on. We need to feel some ownership here.

(posted without reading for typo's or contradictions, just thoughts of the moment. I currently have five accounts, one I hold for a friend, and two of the others are very close to the 13 year mark..)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm I note that you keep popping in and answering where necessary. Can we get your thoughts on whats been posted here? Is that even allowed?
Hey Kayne,
Yea, they'd probably let me answer this, but the things I would have to say on this topic would probably get me in the hot seat with lots of people. This is one of those topics that is wiser for me to just be quiet on.

Thanks for asking though!

-Grimm

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grim your opinnion matters. We who are anchinets of UO just want you to understand how hard it is to see our game go so low... the fustration has been high of late.

Your visits are very welcome here.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if it occured to him that by refraining from giving an opinion he is giving an opinion...

The opinion that we are not worth "losing" a job over.

That we are not worth any opinion at all... that the teleprompter is the dev's best friend.

I warned thee avatar... since Cal refused to let me upgrade to SA (he said he would help in a public thread then told me in PM that the devs has not a very good opinion of me so he wont move a finger for me) I tought I'd ask Mr. Grimm here for some assistance in me being able to roleplay (the abyss was the home of the Bal-Lem for ages)...

Well, same thing !

I'm too politically incorrect it seems to deserve a little help many of my friends got. And yes I tried calling, and even using a friends CC, a gift CC... the only option left was mail order and after spending 3 hours on the line with rep he still could not find what address to send my money to (and that would cost me much more money than the expansion itself)...

wow...

The gods are preventing the Bal-Lem from going to the abyss (its roleplay yes, its pathetic shut up about it already) for a very good reason.

If you know the lore, you then know exactly why.

W

Woodsman

We do not need more newer or better armor or weapons. We are overloaded with specialty equipment already.
I agree with this. If you were a new player coming into the game, there is a lot more here than just about any other MMO. I could see it overwhelming new players.
I doubt we will get many new players from this point forward
I don't agree with this. Games like WOW and RIFT probably lose more in a month than UO has actively subscribed. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people bouncing around between MMOs. UO could rope in some of those people if it could only get people to look at it and give them something to look at, namely a graphics update.

EA should have beefed up their other Mythic MMOs, and then when people quit Star Wars, give every one of them a free month's playing time for all three Mythic MMOs. Better to keep those people within EA MMOs than lose them to the next flavor of the month, because for every 100,000 that quit Star Wars, and plenty will when it turns out not to be to their liking, that's $15 - $18 million in lost revenue over the course of a year.

UO could attract people, it's just a matter of getting them to take a look and having something for them to look at.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hey Kayne,
Yea, they'd probably let me answer this, but the things I would have to say on this topic would probably get me in the hot seat with lots of people. This is one of those topics that is wiser for me to just be quiet on.

-Grimm
I think as you said they would "let " you answer...

As long as you state this was a personal opinion and not one of the company there wouldn't be a problem and if there was... why would they put you in a hot seat.. because you said the truth about your feelings?
I think if that is the case you should be saying to them... "The players are unhappy and this is what they want.. lets see what we can do?"

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say is wow I am glad the bs-athon is over if what Abu posted is true.

T

Tabbitha

FYI, still here. <:)
Bloomin 'eck Grimm,[ in my best British accent ] I am glad some thing brought you out of the woodwork.

I was more implying the lack of presence and in game contribution than a physical abscence.

My apologies though for the wrong wording :p

Anywayyy thankyou for responding,now how can we drag more of a response from you ?

Would some of Queen Mum's cookies do the trick, hehe.

Seriously though, a fair proportion of passionate UO'ers DO want to see some movement from your level of management,on providing a better system of communication than just forums.

They are very hit and miss where as say some thing more formal like an official UO forum with carefully appointed contributors would be much more efective.

Accountability comes at all levels,and while Players are held to their TOS ,in all honesty Origin/EA/Mythic have all fallen far short of theirs over the years.

Surely it is in everyones best interest for what ever reasons,to have a bug free,glitch free game to play as a reward,especially for those who in some cases have 10-13 yrs [?] of loyalty

Oh and dont forget to vote Grimm *winks*

T

Tabbitha

I am afraid Uriah is very much correct. UO has slipped so low on the radar over the last few years in subscriptions that we dont even have a place on the list of CS "games" list for help!
This tells you one very important thing many dotn want to hear... If we protest too much UO will go the way of the Dodo bird. EA doesnt support UO any longer so what cash we get in is what Mythic has to play with. BioWare is our main "god", we have sunk so low on the totum pole.
I'd love to say aww your just seeing things on a gloomy day.. but to be quite honest there isnt enough players left to man 4 full shards. and its growing less and less each month. Billing didnt help us with the fiasco but its not just the billing. Malagaste said it best its from years and years of promises and patches full of unwanted changes, restrictions, broken promises of fixes. All old players know what I speak of we all have sat there and listend to our friends tell us "Thats it, i quit!" after a patch that was to fix or do something that was important.

I would vote yes but it is too late for UO. I can feel the game slipping away even though I for one would love to see it hit 20 years old or more.

I am the most die hard player in the game but even I have been thinking of late to leave.

If I do I will leave no foot print in the sand... I will pack up the chars with all the goods, drop the houses and shut down. Not a scrap will I leave for vultures... to quote a author of a old book I read as a child. UO will be a fond memory..
Thankyou for the honest comments.You are where I was when the final straw was thrown my way.

I just HAVE to give it 1 more try though :p

C

Capn Kranky

... <large snip and a mod> ... Seriously though, a fair proportion of passionate UO'ers DO want to see some movement from EA in general on providing a better system of communication than just forums.
Slightly modified because I believe the Devs (Grimm and others) are not the ones who set the priorities regarding UO. I might be mistaken, but to me it seems EA as a corporate entity has damaged UO with the Devs doing what they could at times to buffer us from the worst. <shrug> So I have rose-colored specs on ... sue me.

... Accountability comes at all levels,and while Players are held to their TOS ,in all honesty Origin/EA/Mythic have all fallen far short of theirs over the years.
Now here is the best statement ever! This is sooooo true.

Surely it is in everyones best interest for what ever reasons,to have a bug free,glitch free game to play as a reward,especially for those who in some cases have 10-13 yrs [?] of loyalty
Bug-free won't happen IMO until a complete rewrite of the probable "spaghetti code" is done. Eradication of the bugs to a level that they are not noticeable would be good. Part of this would be standardization on one client (where have we heard that one before?) which is not possible ATM.

S

Sevin0oo0

As long as you state this was a personal opinion and not one of the company
oh yeah, they'll "let" him do/say Anything - Once. Kinda like 'rule b' here; pretty sure they have a stricter rule there.

I vote he keeps doing as he doing, otherwise he'll end up joining his buddies at zynga

G

grig_since98

I wonder if it occured to him that by refraining from giving an opinion he is giving an opinion...

The opinion that we are not worth "losing" a job over.
That's probably true, and I hate to tell you, I'd do the same thing. Personal feelings aside, we're really *not* worth losing a job over, not these days. A job isn't just a "job", its putting food on the table.

With that said, any sort of collective effort needs to be very specific about what is wanted and what the expectations of a solution are. As is, the OP made a very general statement about there being something "wrong" and that it needs to be fixed. What is wrong? What are proposed solutions?

There is no point in not doing something though just because you believe it to be a doomed to failure. Something can at least be *tried*. There is also no reason why UO can't profitably retain players and attract new ones just because it is "old". How well has runescape done over the years? For that matter, WoW is now what, 7 years old? I don't think that one is in any danger of failure.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'll pop in and give my two cents. As a returning player who dropped off in 1999 after playing for about a year or so. I feel comfortable in saying that this is a new game for me. I played pretty much every MMO I could get my hands on for the first 30 days that came with the boxes. Some I stuck with for months or years. None of them were as fun as UO, and I realized that it was in fact the people that RP'd/created a stories of their own and the freedom that we were given to do what we wished.

I'm back now and I'm willing to help. I can devote some hours in the evening CST to help out anyone who needs it. I play on Lake Superior right now, but I have some time and I can get on any shard that needs some assistance. I have ideas and I have suggestions, but I don't know where to direct them or who will listen.... It appears that everyone has this issue in common though.

I usually can be found in Minoc, Trinsic (my favorite!) or Yew. I try not to use Recall, though I have a rune book that was given to me. I like to walk and use the moongates.... I like to see the world! I do pop into Haven sometimes to make Leather Armor / Studded Leather for young players (I make them bring me the leather) or give out some of the weapons I found in my adventures.

Anyway, I've been posting on Stratics with some of the suggestions and ideas that I have as well as the issues that I am seeing, since I am working a character up from the bottom.

I'm late, but I'm here now! Let me know what I can do to help!

Grimshander - Lake Superior
aka - Ned from Chicago, IL

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As long as you state this was a personal opinion and not one of the company there wouldn't be a problem and if there was... why would they put you in a hot seat.. because you said the truth about your feelings?
I think if that is the case you should be saying to them... "The players are unhappy and this is what they want.. lets see what we can do?"
Ohh, no, I didn't mean necessarily EA would put me in a hot seat. What I meant to imply was that anything I had to say on the topic could most likely be interpreted negatively by *anyone* reading it.

My pespective on player/ Dev communication I have made very clear, so there's really not much more I have to say on the subject. Thus the "I'm not going to voice my opinion."

I believe my stance was given legitimacy given that my not giving an opinion led some folks to believe that somehow I was giving one - which lacks all measure of logic. I defy you to read my mind.

@Tabbitha - I've been pretty active on these boards for the last couple of months, I just don't generally comment on non-art related conversations. No worries on the turn of phrase, I just wanted to make sure nobody thought I'd flown the coop.

-Grimm

P

PitrGri

*reads his mind...*

"Winter is coming!"

(fun way of saying Halloween is coming... cya there!)

K

Kayne

Hey Kayne,

-Grimm
Thanks for the reply Grimm, I understand the response since I know what this place can be like and hell even I'm no angel in that regard.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I would not give up my job so a buncha adults could keep playing their fantasy game...:talktothehand:

EDIT: On another note, I realized YEARS ago (AoS) that UO would not longer be the game it once was, so I switched my attitude to nostalgia, and haven't looked back. I accept that UO is no longer the only real skill based community game it used to be. I accept that buying old rares brings back ancient memories, and memories they shall stay.

In the meantime, make me some more items to go on the museum shelf, Mr. Omen!!! :D

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Grimm, can you comment on something art-related then? :)

When do we get to see the new high res art for EC? :D

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's probably true, and I hate to tell you, I'd do the same thing. Personal feelings aside, we're really *not* worth losing a job over, not these days. A job isn't just a "job", its putting food on the table.

With that said, any sort of collective effort needs to be very specific about what is wanted and what the expectations of a solution are. As is, the OP made a very general statement about there being something "wrong" and that it needs to be fixed. What is wrong? What are proposed solutions?

There is no point in not doing something though just because you believe it to be a doomed to failure. Something can at least be *tried*. There is also no reason why UO can't profitably retain players and attract new ones just because it is "old". How well has runescape done over the years? For that matter, WoW is now what, 7 years old? I don't think that one is in any danger of failure.
You are definately right... I am biased in that case since I was offered that kind of job then it was taken away from me (at 14 years old) because some people decided they'd sell gold on e-bay.

And the way it happened too, it destroyed my whole life...

To me I'd rather have the sympathy of a small group of people who got their heart in the right place and a low wage salary than the inverse.

Oh and yes, UO can attract Ultima players again, if its made to BE an ultima again ; and we're not headed that way... even myself think about playing Ultima 4 again... what does that tell about UO ? :bored: