• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Focus changes

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This area is for the focus changes

Game Balance Changes
Focus Skill Spec (PVP)

Increase of spell damage increase cap from *15% to 40%* for templates that focus in only one spell school. Focused players, having no more than 30.0 modified skill points in another main skill set will be able to benefit from the raised cap.Main skills include: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivary, Spellweaving.
*subject to change based on testing

posted by bleak
Better Context:
Since secondary support skills modify the damage of the primary skills you are only allow to have one primary above 30.0 and one secondary above 30.0.

Pure Mage = Magery + Eval Int
Pure Mystic = Mysticism + Focus/Imbuing
Pure Necro = Necromancy + Spirit Speak
Pure Spellweaver = Spellweaving

"Focused" Titles are unlocked upon meeting the required skills.

posted by logrus
Secondary Support skills also count toward focus spec
(Missed this in initial notes)
These include: Focus, Spirit Speak, Imbuing, and Evaluate Intelligence.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please explain this better. If I have 120 mage/eval and none of the other skills, the cap goes to 40%, so you can now have 40% sdi on your suit?

Does that also mean if you have 120 mage/eval and inscribe that you could have 50% sdi?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please explain this better. If I have 120 mage/eval and none of the other skills, the cap goes to 40%, so you can now have 40% sdi on your suit?

Does that also mean if you have 120 mage/eval and inscribe that you could have 50% sdi?
I tested it. You still get the inscribe bonus and it doesn't effect your ability to be a focused mage.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1977202 said:
So do you in fact have 50% against players?
correct, based on my testing it only a couple times anyway.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1977211 said:
Interesting and good to know. Was the only question I have had so far.
I wanted to find out if you lost focus by having inscribe but also got to see that yes you get the additional 10%.

L

longshanks

so as it stands now, pvp cap is 15 pct
if u have 120 mage 120 eval 100 scribe ur 10 pct over that

or its 15 than 10 not 25.

under the new format if ur a 120 mage with 29.9 eval u get

40 pct + 10 pct if u have scribe.

so is this better damage than just running the above mentioned 120 120 100
mage eval scribe set up?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so as it stands now, pvp cap is 15 pct
if u have 120 mage 120 eval 100 scribe ur 10 pct over that

or its 15 than 10 not 25.

under the new format if ur a 120 mage with 29.9 eval u get

40 pct + 10 pct if u have scribe.

so is this better damage than just running the above mentioned 120 120 100
mage eval scribe set up?
You can do 120 Mage, 120 Eval, 100 Scribe and get the 40 + 10

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cursed at 60 resist, you average about a 37dmg explosion and about a 47 damage flamestrike with 120 magery 120 eval 100 scribe, with 40spell damage in the suit.

I've had it hit 40 dmg explosion and 50dmg flamestrike.

Seems high, but considering you sacrifice the ability to have all the bells and whistles of necro and mysticism, it seems pretty alright.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cursed at 60 resist, you average about a 37dmg explosion and about a 47 damage flamestrike with 120 magery 120 eval 100 scribe, with 40spell damage in the suit.

I've had it hit 40 dmg explosion and 50dmg flamestrike.

Seems high, but considering you sacrifice the ability to have all the bells and whistles of necro and mysticism, it seems pretty alright.
Now, throw 30 necro on that and do +30 necro on jewels and omen before you cast an FS. Jeeez.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1977250 said:
It would...But I can only assume he means to have two sets of jewels and switch them out between casting?
Doh, gotcha that makes sense.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cetric what was your intelligence at during that test? In my experience, 150 int used to always get you to the max damage of your window.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 mage 120 eval = 32 fs 27 exp (59) [new] vs 70s
120 mage 120 eval w/ 31 mystic = 27 fs 24 exp (51) [old] vs 70s

Just did one test, difference of 8. Throw in a fireball and it's a difference of 11 to 13, or +2. So if a new mage under changes does an exp fs fireball theyre doing about 10 more damage now without scribe, or corpse skin from someone else, being considered. The wrestle parry mage returns.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cetric what was your intelligence at during that test? In my experience, 150 int used to always get you to the max damage of your window.
son of a.. good point, it was at 134 (just copied a base char) so actually it should be a point or 2 higher.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pure Mage = Magery + Eval Int
Pure Mystic = Mysticism + Focus/Imbuing
Pure Necro = Necromancy + Spirit Speak
Pure Spellweaver = Spellweaving
"Pure Spellweaver" is nonsense. Nobody is a pure Spellweaver even in PvM, let alone in PvP, because there is no direct attack spellweaving spell. And you can't heal, cure or travel either. It is by essence a support skill.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, spellweaving would become a solely pvm skill, where sdi caps don't come into it and you can have any spell casting skill mix you like?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It is possible to run a focused tactics mage now too.

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Weapon Skill
110.1 Tactics
29.9 Poison
100 Scribe

Or something like that with 50 SDI total.

-OBSIDIAN-

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Focused Paladin? Does that mean my chiv spells have a potential of doing 40% more damage?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is possible to run a focused tactics mage now too.

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Weapon Skill
110.1 Tactics
29.9 Poison
100 Scribe

Or something like that with 50 SDI total.

-OBSIDIAN-
possible yes, but getting 40sdi would be pretty tough on a tact mage with hci/dci etc.

Also.. no med?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
possible yes, but getting 40sdi would be pretty tough on a tact mage with hci/dci etc.

Also.. no med?
I'd drop the poisoning and take tact to 90, and pick up med.

If I were to build that suit (which I will be making one, probly a thrower), I'd definately go no LRC and just carry regs. It'd be a faction character anyways so if I died I'd have 20 minutes and wouldn't mind having to get regs.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm Quick question... What does Word of Death currently do in PvP... I know it's BAD & not used but I cannot remember the #'s & thus what they COULD be with SDI changed upgraded to 40%...... lol or Holy light for that matter lol...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd drop the poisoning and take tact to 90, and pick up med.

If I were to build that suit (which I will be making one, probably a thrower), I'd definitely go no LRC and just carry regs. It'd be a faction character anyways so if I died I'd have 20 minutes and wouldn't mind having to get regs.
Still hard on the sdi... i played around with suit setups last night. Its actually a decent challenge to do this in an effective way without using a book (scrappers, dci event book, etc)

on the tact mage, obviously you aren't going to use one of the sdi head pieces, so.. ur stuck with what, kelp legs? but what about feys... that means ur building it mostly into jewels, but ur jewels need more important stuff. My current tact mage is really tight, even without lrc it'd be tight. i suppose the most effective way to build in the sdi would be to lose things like hit spell, or if weaps have ssi, or hld, etc. or even suck it up and go no pots with a shield lol

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if these go through like this..my scribe mage will be coming out of retirement. Time to dust off the old suit, upgrade, and get ready for some fun!!!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Focused Paladin? Does that mean my chiv spells have a potential of doing 40% more damage?
I assume only Holy Light, but I don't know how you'd get more than 24 SDI on a dexxer. Still, a 120 spamming holy light w/ 40 SDI boost could be sort of nasty.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I assume only Holy Light, but I don't know how you'd get more than 24 SDI on a dexxer. Still, a 120 spamming holy light w/ 40 SDI boost could be sort of nasty.
Depending on the skill set and weapon in use you could get slightly more by using the cloak of death. If you could hit 40 though ti would be quite a show. (I still am not sure how we are suppose to get to 120 in Chivalry, this still has not been addressed.)

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1977844 said:
(I still am not sure how we are suppose to get to 120 in Chivalry, this still has not been addressed.)
Same way as ninja, endless hours of toil, but mostly GGS. LOL

If you were patient, and could bear not playing the char in the mean time, you could use an alacrity scroll and GGS to log on for 15 seconds per day, getting your .2 to .5 gain, making your alacrity last for 60 days, gaining anywhere from 12 - 30 points, assuming alacrity works like that. But of course by then they would have nerfed what you would gain by having that kind of chiv in the first place. :D

C

Cloak&Dagger

Same way as ninja, endless hours of toil, but mostly GGS. LOL

If you were patient, and could bear not playing the char in the mean time, you could use an alacrity scroll and GGS to log on for 15 seconds per day, getting your .2 to .5 gain, making your alacrity last for 60 days, gaining anywhere from 12 - 30 points, assuming alacrity works like that. But of course by then they would have nerfed what you would gain by having that kind of chiv in the first place. :D
Actually Ninja can be grinded to 120, chiv has no chance to gain after something like 115, due to having a 100% chance to cast everything. And I am not sure alacrity scrolls stop the timer after you log off, or am I wrong?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Why are bushido and ninjitsu considered for Focus Groups? These are supplemental skills to warriors (except maybe animal form). I don't see how a 40 SDI bonus helps these at all. And on the converse, having these two skills on the list pushes every pure caster into having parry, poison, and/or scribe.

What is wrong with a focused caster (magery-eval, necro-ss, myst-focus/imbue, sw, taming, chiv, music) with ninjitsu or bushido?

W

Wojoe

Still hard on the sdi... i played around with suit setups last night. Its actually a decent challenge to do this in an effective way without using a book (scrappers, dci event book, etc)

on the tact mage, obviously you aren't going to use one of the sdi head pieces, so.. ur stuck with what, kelp legs? but what about feys... that means ur building it mostly into jewels, but ur jewels need more important stuff. My current tact mage is really tight, even without lrc it'd be tight. i suppose the most effective way to build in the sdi would be to lose things like hit spell, or if weaps have ssi, or hld, etc. or even suck it up and go no pots with a shield lol

I run 5*70, 100 LRC 14 MR & 110+ SDI on my PVM suit...Including the kelp legs...it's awesome ill show you it sometime.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I run 5*70, 100 LRC 14 MR & 110+ SDI on my PVM suit...Including the kelp legs...it's awesome ill show you it sometime.
Yea but this is on a tactics mage? IE a mage who is relying on having DCI/HCI/DI/SI and such?

W

Wojoe

No thats my PVM guy...My PVP guy is a already a mage with necro & nox...im going to drop my necro add max sdi and use wrestle to disarm/stun, nox to LP and harm to kill you...:thumbup:

W

Wojoe

I doubt if you will have high enough dex to be effective verse anyone with wrestle and max DCI on a tactics mage...not only are you going to miss a lot but your going to get disarmed and not have enough mana to bring anyone down...not to mention having no med means you get a 2 min break every 5 mins.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, spellweaving would become a solely pvm skill, where sdi caps don't come into it and you can have any spell casting skill mix you like?
Maybe, I could see a dexer running spellweaving... not sure about the SDI though.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt if you will have high enough dex to be effective verse anyone with wrestle and max DCI on a tactics mage...not only are you going to miss a lot but your going to get disarmed and not have enough mana to bring anyone down...not to mention having no med means you get a 2 min break every 5 mins.
erm.. a smart tactics mage should never lose against a wrestle mage....

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this change, but perhaps the 15-40% sdi is a bit much, i was hitting for at least 60 damage a hit, so a halfway decent timed fs + exp combo was pretty much a sure kill for anything but a full health dexxer, mages already hit damned hard per hit, but it's just insane with the full 40 SDI + inscription, maybe 10-20% ?? (slightly less if you dont focus, slightly more if you do)

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re:

From Game Balance :

Increase SDI cap *15% to 40%* for focusing in only one Spell School: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivary, Spellweaving.

> Okay, so now I need SDI items or more DI for a Ninja so that my Ninjitsu Specials can inflict their Max Dmg? Or is this just in terms of "Conflicting" to BLOCK SDI Cap Inrease?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Re:

From Game Balance :

Increase SDI cap *15% to 40%* for focusing in only one Spell School: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivary, Spellweaving.

> Okay, so now I need SDI items or more DI for a Ninja so that my Ninjitsu Specials can inflict their Max Dmg? Or is this just in terms of "Conflicting" to BLOCK SDI Cap Inrease?
it is just in terms of conflicting, the 40sdi focus thing only effects mage/myst/necro/spell weaving, the rest of the skills are in place to not allow you to have them and the core focus skills.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tested damage for necros, mystic, and magery. Obviously magery has the most versatility, but my necro dexer and mystic dexer tests were fairly nice.

Overall, no complaints here.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This will give me a reason to bring my necro dexers back out. I stopped using them for a long time.

Gonna be pretty damn tough to put on 40 SDI on a necro archer suit, but I wonder what kind of damage an omen/pain spike does, or even omen/poison strike. Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet wither packs a punch too.

I used to run a Nox/Necro fencer way back in the day too, will definitely bring that one back.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was a joke, right?:eyes:
You devs, too funny.
40sdi for my stronger pixies?
Cmon....do you even know what ANY of the spells actually do?
And if you do, your calling this a main STAND ALONE magic skillset????????????
Uhhh....ummmmm:twak::twak:

Wee correction there. Storm is not a dev. Neither are any of the other Stratics Staff. For some odd reason, this is a mistake that folks make regularly. Dunno why. But, we're not devs.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Cailleach is correct I am no developer in the post above i was quoting one of the developers so that we had their comments all in one place sorry if this was confusing to some!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This will give me a reason to bring my necro dexers back out. I stopped using them for a long time.

Gonna be pretty damn tough to put on 40 SDI on a necro archer suit, but I wonder what kind of damage an omen/pain spike does, or even omen/poison strike. Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet wither packs a punch too.

I used to run a Nox/Necro fencer way back in the day too, will definitely bring that one back.
Time to buy stock in Midnight Bracers?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was a joke, right?:eyes:
You devs, too funny.
40sdi for my stronger pixies?
Cmon....do you even know what ANY of the spells actually do?
And if you do, your calling this a main STAND ALONE magic skillset????????????
Uhhh....ummmmm:twak::twak:
Wind targets everything on your screen and Thunderstorm isn't that far behind, plus it's spammable. SW isn't Necro, and it surely isn't Magery or Mysticism, but there are SW damage spells, and the 15 to 40 SDI difference will be noticeable (but most likely only against other mage/caster types).

M

mon2000

About 40%

The cap of 40% is too high to keep combat game balance.
I think the cap is at most 20%.
Extreme changes will destroy game balance.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Wind targets everything on your screen and Thunderstorm isn't that far behind, plus it's spammable. SW isn't Necro, and it surely isn't Magery or Mysticism, but there are SW damage spells, and the 15 to 40 SDI difference will be noticeable (but most likely only against other mage/caster types).
Have to agree with this. With a level 6 focus and somewhere like 102 sdi (obviously pvm only) Wind is the best spell for large groups of critters (such as champs)