• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Producer's Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woodsman

I really do wonder what would happen if EA really did care enough about this game. Where would UO be if they actually funded this game to do something else other than keep it buoyant.
Patrick Stewart doing the voiceover for UO game trailers?

YouTube - The Sims Medieval Epic Trailer

EA put a lot of money into the Sims Medieval. I'm sure Patrick Stewart didn't come cheap and he's just doing the voiceover for the trailers.

V

Voodoo990

There are few upbeat people here due to the climate the current UO team have brought upon themselves.

Someone may be 'positive', but that doesn't equal 'right'... and the tangents of said individual are obtuse and bizarre at best.

And while the UO team do create things, what they also provide is a service. You obviously are missing the original point that professionalism and customer courtesy should be handled, even if you have a lot on your plate during your 40 (and over) hour week at work. The point was that if I can meet deadlines and get back to everyone in my allotted timeframe, there is no excuse to see others in jobs with far LESS at stake shirk and disregard their customer related duties that are a requirement of the job.

And yes, I mean you, Cal, if you ever read this.
This is spot on point /Signed

F

Fayled Dhreams

EA put a lot of money into the Sims Medieval. I'm sure Patrick Stewart didn't come cheap and he's just doing the voiceover for the trailers.
*shrugs*
POSSIBLY Patrick Stewart ... I do a more than Passable Stewart, in person ...
Let one of my teenagers run it through a shareware digital sound editor ... and Patrick Stewart >sounds like< he's just on the other side of the speaker, narrating moby ****.
Or Duke Leto of the Atredies explaining the strategy of the move to Arrakis(yeah ... the DUKE! not Gurney)

its a CUSTOM re-edit (Sean Connery ala "the untouchables" IS Gurney)

Just saying: show me the credits THEN I'll "credit the voice" :gee:

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very exciting stuff, I have to admit.. Now I want this video. :D

Fantastic that EC is potentially looking at being released by the end of this year, It deserves it, I just hope if a Classic Shard is approved we won't see less Dev time for those who want to keep UO going forward.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Their jobs are at stake if they don't do what they are told to do by EA.

That may not be a big deal to you, but in today's economic climate, and given what just happened at EA over the past nine months, that's a pretty serious thing, because their jobs are putting roofs over their heads and food in their families' stomachs.

Our money does not go directly to the dev team, it goes to EA who tells the dev team what to do and when to do it, and I think you've forgotten that.

You should be raging at EA.
BINGO!!!!!!
Canary ...
This is my point exactly. EA has rules about what can and will be done and how it is to be done. We pay EA... not mythic or bio. Their salarys come from EA not us directly.
I do not condone your viperous contempt at Cal_Mythic and the dev. They have been very good to us and try hard to fill us in under EA's watchfull eyes.

Thank you to all for the kind support.
Kelmo chin up kiddo, I live on Siege P too. They would need to pull the plug off the shard to get rid of me. (Dark Dove chocolates for everyone!~)

Boba

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The video tape will cover:

The verdict on the classic shard, how we plan to grow the game, updates for the Enhanced Client, and finally our plan for increased pace for arcs, updates, storytelling and connecting with the community over the next 10 months.
Absolutely our focus this cycle is to improve the existing game (which also means progressing existing story lines). We like to share information we have a level of certainty on to prevent misinformation and confusion as features and changes come and go.

You'll see that the team is quite passionate about the upcoming months and focused on improving the game for everyone in the upcoming video.

Thanks all :)
Based on the bold text, it looks like they want to improve on the existing train wreck of a game they call UO, and not waste any effort on a classic shard. Such a shame, and I really hope i'm wrong.

E

Eyes of Origin

some things never change...

I've been off UO for almost a year now, still pay for my accounts and looking forward to seeing what's coming. Thinking of coming back so I'll be watchng for the video and other news.

As for people who I see ripping the Dev team and Cal... I'm rofling @ you right now.

Just because you pay a subscription fee every month doesnt mean you are entitled to anything honestly. You pay for the game itself, which allows you to log in and do whatever it is you do ingame, nothing less, nothing more.

As someone said before, its EA you should be ripping. Not Cal and certainly not the Dev team. You guys forget that they answer to higher ups and those higher ups are the ones who make the choices.
I'm sure if it was up to the Devs and Cal, the video would've already been shown. So get off their backs and blame the ppl who are actually responsible for the delays.

You'll get the information when EA is ready, in the meantime... RELAX! Heres a drink on me.... :shots:

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The video tape will cover:
Good thing I still have a working VCR. Now I just need to find somewhere from which to get this elusive tape.
I wouldn't be in such a hurry to watch the tape; I've heard that 7 days after you watch it, you die.

W

Woodsman

I've been off UO for almost a year now, still pay for my accounts and looking forward to seeing what's coming. Thinking of coming back so I'll be watchng for the video and other news.
I just came back from being off UO for several years and I'm seeing the exact same arguments and rage directed at the dev team, with the only difference being that the names of the dev team have changed since then.

Literally the exact same arguments and rage directed at the dev team.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the angriest people in this thread and others were the ones making the exact same arguments and directing large amounts of rage towards the devs 5 years ago.

Having had some decent time to play and read this time around, I can say my only real disappointment is that I missed out on the KBR graphics and that we still have the dual-client issue. There are other minor nitpicky things, but I am leaning towards them being canceled out by other changes that have been made since the last time I left.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Maybe I didn't see it, in this rage fest but when are they planning on releasing the video.?

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"The need to communicate effectively with your customers will come up again and again.
Bill Gates "

Even in my world of Emergency Room Nursing the one complaint that surfaces the most ,to my surprise, has always been the lack of enough updates and communication with the families on a regular basis not just because they ask. They want to be sought out with any and all information.

So when the Dev team does, we complain about it and show contempt? They are communicating and information is a 2-way street. It must be acknowledged and nurtured .Gone are the Richard Elliot days ,but what is still here is our Ultima.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I didn't see it, in this rage fest but when are they planning on releasing the video.?
Well PR are still in negotiations with Mr T. to play Cal in the video, but there is some issue with a conflict of interest. The good news is that Angelina and Brad have agreed to play Messana and Derek respectively.

S

Sunchicken

OK superman....in answer to your abilitys and the general health care facility management.

I was for years a RN and have seen many a assisted living and care facility, I do know how they are run.... fair to poorly. Staff is underpaid and mostly at best semi cared for patients. My own mother went to one after knee surgery and feared she would never get out!!! She is not alone in that fear. I dont doubt your business savy in handling the heavy pace of it. You could very well be the exception to the general rule of over all problem of the health care these places have. I wont pull out the numerous examples of abuse and lack of care, and even responceability for patient deaths many have been in the news with these places over the years. Management at work.....

In concern to the UO dev and thier jobs - yes its not life threating or of national secruity.

This is a game which Cal and the dev manage. Normal business offices do and have had over the years extenuating circumstances that cause delays. They are not exempt just because its a game. They may be friendly and kind to us in answering your request for information. The time it takes to get this to you where its complete and throughly accurate and true may vary.

Thats like saying just because some schools produce social ******* that every school is ran wrong.

I dont know much about a lot of things, but i do know that Ea/mythic has been neglecting the community of ultima online for quite some time. If you say otherwise you are being blind to the obvious. I feel they are taking steps to attempt to fix things. I just hope it works.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

As for people who I see ripping the Dev team and Cal... I'm rofling @ you right now.

Just because you pay a subscription fee every month doesnt mean you are entitled to anything honestly. You pay for the game itself, which allows you to log in and do whatever it is you do ingame, nothing less, nothing more.

As someone said before, its EA you should be ripping. Not Cal and certainly not the Dev team. You guys forget that they answer to higher ups and those higher ups are the ones who make the choices.
I'm sure if it was up to the Devs and Cal, the video would've already been shown. So get off their backs and blame the ppl who are actually responsible for the delays.

You'll get the information when EA is ready, in the meantime... RELAX! Heres a drink on me.... :shots:

OK here it is straight... EA is the mother company.... they haven't one clue what UO is... what's in it ..... what's involved in it's production NADA... and don't fool yourself that they do.... they put that in the lap of those in VA... ie the DEV team... who answer only in the relative fact of what we are doing and how that looks for EA the parent company..... I mean EA cares in as much as wanting to make sure that the DEV's aren't putting out some perverted material that they might get sued over... outside that and seriously do NOT fool yourself here... EA could care less if we got a single thing for Valentines... they don't give one cent if we are regressing... what they do care about is making MONEY... THE BOTTOM LINE. Nothing more .... nothing less... So please don't flatter yourself over who's responsible for what.

Cal and the DEV's are responsible for what comes out of their office... be it a publish.... a video or a tiny statement saying "Hey I realize I set a deadline here and I was hoping to be done with this.... but we are still polishing up a few things and we haven't forgotten about the update. It's just not ready yet." So ....... the fact that no one over there has the respect for the players to say something of that nature.... speaks VOLUMES and do NOT try to tell me that EA games has anything to do with that because they don't.

What they are in control of is that sham they call customer service.... they are responsible for our account security or lack there of and our in-game support..... or lack there of.

I may not work in the "industry" but I'm not living under a rock or in the case of some of these folk I don't blind myself in a silver lined cloud. I know exactly what's going on... and who's running what show and if I don't paint a pretty picture of how things are it's because I unlike several here am a REALIST. I like to pretend and Role-play that I'm not... hence my love of UO. But when it gets right down to the nitty gritty.... I am a REALIST.

If I'm harsh on the DEV's that comes from years and years of having smoke blown up my..... *** I think you get the idea.

I'm excited as heck about this DEV team for one reason and one reason only..... above any other team this team has made themselves accessible and they tend to actually LISTEN... So ..... when I say something like "Yo! Could have at least given us some sort of heads up!".... I'm saying it because I MEAN it. Right now I can safely say those who are left still playing UO do so because we are ALL passionate about the game in some form or another... and we are NEVER all going to agree on anything... beyond that we want our game to continue.... and in order to do that... we need to cut the rhetoric... put customer service #1 and don't treat "we" the customers like a bunch of 2nd class bozo's... treat us with respect because hey we too love the game.... that's what we are saying.... nothing more... nothing less.

So take off the pink glasses... they aren't working for you. And I took mine off YEARS ago.

I just am passionate about UO and it pains me to see it in the state that it's in.

One thing I will say is this.... I hate it when folk do nothing but complain, complain and complain without offering any viable solutions or alternatives to improve things.

So when I say "Yo should have given us a heads up!"... I'm offering advice on improvement..... Not being a Jerk.

I don't need some 2 page letter... all I am asking is one little paragraph... I don't need any video either... But maybe that's just me.

A

AtlanteanAngel

Quick! Someone update Wikipedia that he's doing the narration for the Sims Medieval trailer!
Patrick Stewart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EA should have gotten him to do a cameo appearance in the trailer (in medival clothing, not in starfleet uniform or as Prof X), which would probably be only marginally more expensive, but significantly more effective marketing.

C

canary

BINGO!!!!!!
Canary ...
This is my point exactly. EA has rules about what can and will be done and how it is to be done. We pay EA... not mythic or bio. Their salarys come from EA not us directly.
I do not condone your viperous contempt at Cal_Mythic and the dev. They have been very good to us and try hard to fill us in under EA's watchfull eyes.

Thank you to all for the kind support.
Kelmo chin up kiddo, I live on Siege P too. They would need to pull the plug off the shard to get rid of me. (Dark Dove chocolates for everyone!~)
Salaries. Among other words.

I love when people use the 'we don't DIRECTLY pay their salaries'. Well, duh. The money goes to EA who issues checks to their employees. There are bills to be paid too, you know. That's called common sense.

But the fact remains that, yes, our subscriptions pay for the salaries of the UO employees. No subscriptions = no jobs = nice wait in unemployment. That's also called common sense.

I think a refresher course might help you, personally. Again, if you have a substantial point at any time, Lady Storm... please feel free to contribute. Because you still have nothing (imo) of interest to add to this conversation.

C

canary

Just because you pay a subscription fee every month doesnt mean you are entitled to anything honestly.
LOL I can obviously tell that whatever you do, it isn't even remotely connected to business or entertainment. Even amusement parks in real life every few receive new rides and attractions. Zoos get new animals. Stores get face lifts and new logos. The thing is to keep things fresh, exciting, and fun.

I can only imagine how long a game would last that never received updates.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's pretty obvious by now their lethargy is to drag one or two more billing cycles out of those still hoping for a classic shard.
Cal struck it lucky with SA. He had Draconi, Sakkarah and Leurocian working on that. Now he has Derek.

G

Ganondorf00

We have our ligitimate doubts about the video being really finished, and even in that case, it's terribly late.

There's also no further need to discuss wether a classic shard has to be done or not, they have decided it and that decision will now be made public.

Working on the EC is good news as that will maybe attract new players instead of scaring them away. I'd like to see the video, leak it or something, who cares about PR, they're doing a terrible job anyway.

T

Trebr Drab

Quick! Someone update Wikipedia that he's doing the narration for the Sims Medieval trailer!
Patrick Stewart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EA should have gotten him to do a cameo appearance in the trailer (in medival clothing, not in starfleet uniform or as Prof X), which would probably be only marginally more expensive, but significantly more effective marketing.
Did you know he was in the movie "Excalliber"?

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As in all things, there really are three sides to every story.

There's your side, there's my side, and then there's the truth.

There is no doubt in my mind that the weather in Virginia, amongst many other variables have caused great grief in getting things done at EA/Mythic UO Development.

There is also no doubt in my mind that the UO team (and by that I mean the folks that are actually the people that are to communicate with all of us as well as those that code the game and make the art etc) is smaller than it used to be, but still expected to do all or more than they used to do.

I pay people for a living. I pay 1,000 people 38 times a year, at about 1.2 million per payroll. I am the Head Dude...Payroll Manager (or Mangler as I like to call it)...CPP and all that. I do it all with a staff of two people. I also perform all reviews myself. Last year I saved the company just shy of $90K US Dollars by streamlining processes and implementing Paperless Payrolls, and cut our error rate to just seventeen manual adjustments for Payroll Errors in the entire year. By way of comparison...the "best" payroll departments based on a nationwide benchmarking studies, come in at about 2% error rate...ours was .06% total

I say none of this to impress...it's what I signed up for. I do say it as a point of reference, however. Paying people and doing it well is what I get paid to do.

My department...in fact our entire company, has an extremely strict and non-negotiable standard of communication. We are to reply to every single email and voice mail within twenty four hours. My company does not care why you might be late returning a call...they accept no excuses.

Regardless of how much Payroll saves the company...regardless of our accuracy...if we slip on Customer Service, then we are held highly accountable. And I am pretty busy in answering Customer and Vendor concerns, besides just processing and overseeing payrolls. My saved items in any one year for emails is between 15K to 20K (as in thousands) emails. That is 50 or more emails 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

I can also understand the passions concerning UO. People also have a high propensity for passion if a pay check is wrong. And they will simply not accept "We will fix that check of yours...at some later date...be patient!" as being a valid reason to wait. UO doesn't help anyone (legally) pay their bills as a player, but many have played the game for a very long time, and are extremely attached to it.

I believe that, as many in this thread have stated, even a "we will have more news next week, and are very sorry for the delay"...followed up by real and meaningful news the next week...would go light years in bridging the trust gap that has been allowed to develop due to a lack of communications that are chalked up to "Good Reasons".

To leave customers in the dark for long periods, particularly when customers are complaining about an ongoing lack of communication would cause me to get involved if this happened where I work.

So...I can fully understand the delays, and challenges that are faced by a dwindling team. I understand concerns about releasing too much or incorrect info. I also understand that situations outside of our own control can cause delays, like weather or accidents.

But all of those things can be communicated, and communicated well, at that. My department send semi-weekly and weekly reminders, annual communications on W-2s, etc. etc. to ensure our Customers know what is going on. You can't control the weather or accidents, but one CAN control the communications that go out during and after such occurrences, and letting folks know what is going on can make a big difference, in my opinion.

Not saying anything, particularly when our Customers might want or need to know something (like when the payroll period ends this week...the last day to get items in to be paid...when Commission checks will be out this month) would be disastrous. Our notes and reminders aren't always heeded...to be sure...but we always send them.

I am hopeful that Cal and Team can relentlessly ask themselves "What Else Can I Do?" to improve player morale, and develop more meaningful and consistent communications.

That question, pursued doggedly, has led to almost every great discovery and accomplishment ever. Not asking that question inevitably leads to reasons why something didn't work, instead of the New Plan to make sure the plans work next time.

And it takes way less work to succeed than it does to fail. I find this to be true in everything I do. If a team decides that we will not fail in communications, and they give sufficient priority tpo the task, it is bound to be accomplished.

I also firmly believe and know that every adversity carries with it the seed of equal or greater benefit for those with a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA).

So...maybe the angst and disappointment expressed by players to Cal and Team will result in more and more meaningful communications.

Or maybe not. Only time will tell if my message, however verbosely stated, falls upon the right set of retinas.

I for one think that more and more meaningful communication would be something that would cost very little, and have a tremendous return on investment. I know many others here in U Hall feel that same way.

*Steps Off Soapbox*

W

Woodsman

"The need to communicate effectively with your customers will come up again and again.
Bill Gates "

Even in my world of Emergency Room Nursing the one complaint that surfaces the most ,to my surprise, has always been the lack of enough updates and communication with the families on a regular basis not just because they ask. They want to be sought out with any and all information.

So when the Dev team does, we complain about it and show contempt? They are communicating and information is a 2-way street. It must be acknowledged and nurtured .Gone are the Richard Elliot days ,but what is still here is our Ultima.
You mean Richard Garriott, right?

Communication has always been a problem going back to '97. People pretend like it's bad now, but those of us playing LS back in the days running up to UO:R and after, when the shard had a serious problem with constantly crashing from being overloaded with players and who knows what else, experienced the worst amount of communication that UO has ever seen.

It took us protesting on other shards and calling up/emailing EA executives to get some serious answers. The people moderating the official UO forums were on the ball in deleting posts containing phone numbers, addresses, etc. of EA executives, but that information was being passed around among LS players, including in-game.

Somebody I know who worked on the dev team back then tried to explain it to an EA executive when we started bugging EA executives, and their response was "what's the big deal, they should just play on another server."

The lack of communication was stunning. We weren't even able to play our own shard and when we were getting information, it was along the lines of "we're working on it". When we started protesting on other shards and lagging/crashing those shards, all of the sudden a lot of information poured forth.

A lack of communication has always been a problem with UO, and having played DAOC and Warhammer Online as well as some other EA titles, it's definitely an EA thing, because it is not unique to UO, not at all. There are other companies as bad as EA and there are other companies that are much better.

Having attended quite a few of the player/dev gatherings in Austin as well as the UO gatherings at the renaissance festival outside of Houston, I can say that in person and informal/off the record, they had no problems talking about quite a bit of stuff - where they wanted UO to go, what we should look out for over the next few months, etc.

I found that to be the case even as dev teams changed. It was unfortunate that they were moved to California because I enjoyed the interaction those of us in the area had with them. The problem is that things they could talk to us about one-on-one informally could not be talked about in a formal/official manner. It really bothered them as well, because they would catch a lot of crap from players over this or that when they knew full well that a 5-minute statement could clear up the problem.

UO maybe a small part of EA, but the things they discuss publicly in regards to the bigger picture of UO have to be vetted through various channels. Cal even complained in this very thread about the video having to be run past PR and letting them do their thing with it.

EA is a publicly traded company. The amount of bureaucracy and red tape thanks to that (and EA's size) is insane, and you can't just go making statements that could impact future financial matters without vetting it through somebody.

The communication with the UO dev team is about the same as it's been for years (maybe better, maybe worse, depends on the time of year), and the amount of players angry over that are probably similar in proportion to the DAOC and Warhammer fans. People need to go read those forums if they want their eyes opened - plenty of DAOC and Warhammer fans feel left in the dark or feel like there is a lack of communication and anytime an EA employee posts something, people jump on it.

What's bizarre is that some of you all remember the old days and so none of this should be new to you.

H

Hanokh1967

It's pretty obvious by now their lethargy is to drag one or two more billing cycles out of those still hoping for a classic shard.Cal struck it lucky with SA. He had Draconi, Sakkarah and Leurocian working on that. Now he has Derek.
We have a winner!

W

Woodsman

But the fact remains that, yes, our subscriptions pay for the salaries of the UO employees. No subscriptions = no jobs = nice wait in unemployment. That's also called common sense.
Which is probably why they don't spend their entire time doing bug fixes and instead do things like booster packs and gamecode stuff that brings in additional revenue on top of subscriptions.

EA is a for-profit company publicly-traded company, and EA has been seriously hurt by some of their properties, which means that even if they pull in $10 - $12 million a year from UO, a substantial chunk of that is not going to UO development, it's going to EA in general, because EA is doing everything they can to cut costs and cover losses and keep the stockholders happy. Companies do not give 100% of the revenue they bring in on a product back to the general development of that product, and EA damn sure doesn't , otherwise UO would be in a better state than it is.

In a perfect world, UO would be its own company and all of the revenue it brings in could be used on UO. It's not a perfect world. We were in trouble long before UO came into being, back when Garriott sold off Origin to EA.

C

canary

What's bizarre is that some of you all remember the old days and so none of this should be new to you.
Recall them well. Also aware that on the Mythic boards people are also echo our communication issues... I think this is an EA Mythic thing.

I play a host of other onlines that I have no reason to complain about their quality of services or communication. In fact, UO is the only one where I see big issues. So to me that's telling.

But in the past we've usually had a CatHat, or a Draconi, or SOMEONE in UO who actively communicated with the players about the game, even if they weren't a specified 'community manager'. Right now we have no one. At _all_. Not even our community manager(s) make an effort to reach out. I mean, 'community manager' Andy Belford rarely came here and was subject of a documentary on his WoW addiction and how he would take vacation time for WoW expansions and spend 6 hours a night after work playing another company's game. Our COMMUNITY GUY. That's also telling.

W

Woodsman

Working on the EC is good news as that will maybe attract new players instead of scaring them away. I'd like to see the video, leak it or something, who cares about PR, they're doing a terrible job anyway.
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about the EC. Everybody knows that going forward, if there is going to be an effort to bring in new blood, or try to attract people from other games, it's going to require a lot of work on the EC and/or killing off the CC at some point. This dual-client thing has really screwed things up for the players ever since Third Dawn.

And speaking of EA's PR, even though The Sims: Medieval is launching next month, they've been doing a lousy job of promoting it.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about the EC. Everybody knows that going forward, if there is going to be an effort to bring in new blood, or try to attract people from other games, it's going to require a lot of work on the EC and/or killing off the CC at some point. This dual-client thing has really screwed things up for the players ever since Third Dawn.

And speaking of EA's PR, even though The Sims: Medieval is launching next month, they've been doing a lousy job of promoting it.
heh ... "Lousy job?" ...*shakes head* Before the release ... :lol:

Perhaps in YOUR eye's tis lousy ... but your "voice here" ... make that ""your voice here"" indicates that YOU weren't exactly their target market ...

The proof will be IN the subscriptions ... eh? AFTER the release ... neh? ... Aye! tis the correct summation.
*shrugs*

To be fair ... to allow you to set a "basis of comparison" ...
The Sims Medieval received/produced more or less pre-release advertising than Stygian Abyss ...

*ouch*
NOW make your lousy comparison (see what I did thar?) :danceb:

W

Woodsman

heh ... "Lousy job?" ...*shakes head* Before the release ... :lol:

Perhaps in YOUR eye's tis lousy ... but your "voice here" ... make that ""your voice here"" indicates that YOU weren't exactly their target market ...
It is the Sims and let's face it, anything with "The Sims" slapped on the box will sell well, regardless of marketing.

F

Fayled Dhreams

It is the Sims and let's face it, anything with "The Sims" slapped on the box will sell well, regardless of marketing.
Sooooo ... You withdraw the "lousy" crack?
*smirk*
IF they only needed the name "Sims" ... anything MORE would be Excessive ... re: marketing ..

YES?

:lol:

Lrn2Conceed points ... 'tis civil and earns "fair respect" ... :danceb:

C

canary

I would also pay for this as booster ;)
Please don't put ideas in their head like this. The KR client should have been polished enough almost 3 years ago (art wise, glitch wise and UI wise) that it should have never required the backsliding of the EC client and overall lack of development in the first place.

G

Ganondorf00

It's pretty obvious by now their lethargy is to drag one or two more billing cycles out of those still hoping for a classic shard.
Cal struck it lucky with SA. He had Draconi, Sakkarah and Leurocian working on that. Now he has Derek.
Going to comment this one...

People who currently play UO aren't going to quit because of the classic shard (well some will do, but not a consistent part). The lack of a classic shard will simply keep some old players who would otherwise return, away.

V

Vyal

The only reason I have stuck around the past months was to hear about a classic shard then the 4th comes rolling around and I get 3 accounts charged that I don't even play and they stay open just waiting to get that promised response that never seems to come.

F

Fayled Dhreams

The only reason I have stuck around the past months was to hear about a classic shard then the 4th comes rolling around and I get 3 accounts charged that I don't even play and they stay open just waiting to get that promised response that never seems to come.
Doh!

Ya could done that more cheaply ... yes ...
yes you could have.

:thumbsup: thanks for the cash input ... by the way ...
Your contribution is noted and welcome.
Please consider opening one more account.
There are rumors of a rate reduction being inbound ...:party:

E

Eyes of Origin

Just because you pay a subscription fee every month doesnt mean you are entitled to anything honestly.
LOL I can obviously tell that whatever you do, it isn't even remotely connected to business or entertainment. Even amusement parks in real life every few receive new rides and attractions. Zoos get new animals. Stores get face lifts and new logos. The thing is to keep things fresh, exciting, and fun.

I can only imagine how long a game would last that never received updates.
Thats funny because I work in exactly that kind of field. And what I meant is, when it comes down to it, you are not entitled to any communication from Cal or the Dev team just because you pay your monthly fees.
You get it every so often, but that doesnt mean you are entitled to it.

C

canary

Thats funny because I work in exactly that kind of field. And what I meant is, when it comes down to it, you are not entitled to any communication from Cal or the Dev team just because you pay your monthly fees.
You get it every so often, but that doesnt mean you are entitled to it.
Actually years ago, we received a pay hike and one of its selling points was for 'better customer service' from UO. So you are wrong.

While I don't expect good, solid updates and communication from, say, Bleak, I do from the community managers (who have ranged in quality from simply 'OK' to despairingly poor) and from its producer. In other words, it never got 'better'... its been worse, especially as of late.

So, yeah, nice try but you get a solid 'fail' for your efforts.

W

Woodsman

Actually years ago, we received a pay hike and one of its selling points was for 'better customer service' from UO. So you are wrong.
How many layoffs has EA had since that time? How many broken promises have there been since then? The best communication we had was back in the official UO.com forum days and even during that time the players could be ignored quite a bit (see LS constantly crashing). Back in those days there were more employees who were working with the community as well.

Do you think that Cal and James took it upon themselves to stay silent on certain things? As in the decision was their decision and their decision alone.

Let's not dance around this - do you believe that they took it upon themselves to remain silent about certain things, or do you believe the decision was made higher up the chain?

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or likely they just don't have enough time...there's a lot to do to keep this game afloat .

C

canary

Do you think that Cal and James took it upon themselves to stay silent on certain things? As in the decision was their decision and their decision alone.

Let's not dance around this - do you believe that they took it upon themselves to remain silent about certain things, or do you believe the decision was made higher up the chain?
By my postings, you should already gather I believe Cal has taken it upon himself to remain distant about certain things. In fact, I'll go as far to say that Cal is very frustrated with the current subscriber base, some of that due to his own words which are now biting him in the... you know.

One thing you'll notice is that at no time does Cal ever apologize for things when there are goofs. And I do not simply mean with the video. I pointed this out recently to a friend who was like 'Wow... you are right'. Part of being a leader is taking responsibility for the things around you, even if sometimes it is not directly your fault. Things happen. Own it, man up and move forward. Instead, we get non apologies and more excuses than a child who lost his homework.

But, of course, we are only left with our opinions and merely assuming things. You have yours and I have mine. The best we can do is agree to disagree.

C

canary

Or likely they just don't have enough time...there's a lot to do to keep this game afloat .
You wouldn't imagine the sheer amount of comfort it gives others when they are recognized, even if it is just a three minute written note.

V

Vyal

Lord Chaos.
How hard is it to work with a 13 year old game engine?

You really eat that **** up every time they start pancakes about their plates being full.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Strange how Patrick Stewart and Excalibur is mentioned in this thread. I watched Excalibur on the BBC America the other night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.