• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sadrith Mora

SoulStealer A.O,

One thing I keep reading on other sites on this topic, is the fear of gankfest-pking becuse of what they have seen on freeshards. I think one thing people need to keep in mind (for those who have this mindset) is there is a major difference between an EA server and a Freeshard.
Is there really pk'ing on free shards in the T2A era? You might want to take a look at post #145 to get an official UO devs perspective from back in the day, and why changes were eventually necessary.

U

Unsatisfied

SoulStealer A.O,

Is there really pk'ing on free shards in the T2A era? You might want to take a look at post #145 to get an official UO devs perspective from back in the day, and why changes were eventually necessary.
Yeah but your post on 145 is refering to pre stat loss days, we've pretty much come to an agreement here that stat loss era is what we want put in place.

S

Sadrith Mora

Unsatisfied,

Yeah but your post on 145 is refering to pre stat loss days, we've pretty much come to an agreement here that stat loss era is what we want put in place.
Well, it didn't seem like he was much aware of what was going on in UO on the official shards. Even though stat loss came into play, it didn't stop the pk'ing depending on the shard you were on. The most it did was separate the real reds so you knew for sure who to watch out for.

Again, it's shard specific... The more populated, the more chance for reds whether there was stat loss or not. It didn't stop the pk'ing much in any 'hotspot' spawn areas...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

... i still think having a classic shard is a good idea especially with the state of MMO's today. For UO, i think the best possible classic shard would be to take the most controversial era (Sept. '97 - May 2000) and make it 'static'. Take all that was included up to the split and make that the classic shard, and make it as historical as possible so 5-10 yrs. from now any new player (or current) wanting to know what it was all about in the beginning can know by simply logging on the the shard.

Create it just before the split as historical as possible, and keep it static as a remembrance of what it used to be like back then for future players...
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

I agree 100%.

If a Classic Shard is to exist, and it should, then it should be not only a place where old school UO players can hang out, but also a testament to what the game once was.

I see players creating museums on existing shards to remember the history of the shard itself, but the point they are missing is that they lost their history...and now they only have a cheap plastic copy of it, and some items that remind them of what once was.

U

Unsatisfied

Unsatisfied,

Well, it didn't seem like he was much aware of what was going on in UO on the official shards. Even though stat loss came into play, it didn't stop the pk'ing depending on the shard you were on. The most it did was separate the real reds so you knew for sure who to watch out for.

Again, it's shard specific... The more populated, the more chance for reds whether there was stat loss or not. It didn't stop the pk'ing much in any 'hotspot' spawn areas...
We dont want to stop pking. That isnt the point to stat loss. We want to reduce the ammount of people who go nuts pking new players mining 24/7 and making it so u cant step out of guards without being pestered...

Stat loss reduces those kind of pks substantially because there are concequences and they are usually pretty average players and wont last a day without dying and getting into stat loss.

You will NEVER completely stop the newb pkers unless you put in tram and we dont want that either! But what we can do is greatly reduce the ammount of newb pkers there are, then the pks who are good at what they do will still be around. And that is fine.

S

SoulStealer A.O

SoulStealer A.O,

I know why the changes were eventualy nessessary. The point to my post was not to say that freeshards are all era accurate but the fact that many people (pvpers included) would rather play an EA shard with those points as opposed to a free shard without them.

Well, it didn't seem like he was much aware of what was going on in UO on the official shards
Obiously you misunderstood what I was getting at. I wasn't discussing era accurate mechanics but as Unsatisfied pointed out, reason why players would perfer to play an EA server over a UO server.

We dont want to stop pking. That isnt the point to stat loss. We want to reduce the ammount of people who go nuts pking new players mining 24/7 and making it so u cant step out of guards without being pestered...

Stat loss reduces those kind of pks substantially because there are concequences and they are usually pretty average players and wont last a day without dying and getting into stat loss.
Exactly. There has to be some risk factor to both PvM and Pking. On a shard like this you may even see Anti-Pk guilds reborn.

Also, I agree Sadrith Mora . The server shouldn't just be for old schoolers. But for those who have never experienced it and even those who are new to the game.

I think the server is a great idea and I really hope it goes through.

S

SoulStealer A.O

Just read post 145 and a few threads on that page. I agree, the first half of 98 (The Dread days) would be the wrong era to replicate. Gaming was just too different then and the only real form of PvP was PK vs Anti and the very rare virtue fights.

Also im implimentation of Med/Eval to Mage pvp really changed things and the way characters were designed. Also, a lot of problems were fixed in the era before uo:r was dropped.

However, it's still nice to look at screenshots from the Repuation days (After Dread) when they first introduced Order/Chaos and guild wars. The pvp style was different. ;p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will please not name free shards. This is a breach of RoC.
For those accusing me of 'bias' in setting up the poll - I chose the most popular options from the previous polls. I have no interest whatsoever in the results of the poll. I have not voted in it myself.

I do however recognise that the more split the player base is over what era to make it the less likely you are to get it. Think about that before you throw anymore groundless accusations of bias my way.
Thank you.

B

Bad_Ad

Re: Classic shard: Narrowing the gaps

reopen the voting, alot of the old players (who i assume you are your target to get interested again) are only just starting to hear about this (various forums etc).

U

Unsatisfied

You will please not name free shards. This is a breach of RoC.
For those accusing me of 'bias' in setting up the poll - I chose the most popular options from the previous polls. I have no interest whatsoever in the results of the poll. I have not voted in it myself.

I do however recognise that the more split the player base is over what era to make it the less likely you are to get it. Think about that before you throw anymore groundless accusations of bias my way.
Thank you.
DW Petra I dont think anyones accused you of being bias in that poll since the early pages of this thread, and it was only a minority that bitched.... like always, and if you read whats been recently posted a large majority of the thread has come to a pretty acceptable list of whats classic give or take 1 or 2 tiny things that no ones gonna care largely about either way.

Things are LOOKIN GOOD!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I thought Petra's poll did a good job of narrowing things down. What good is a poll if it includes 10 or more options that each receive a similar number of votes?

Going by what has been written here, and Petra's poll, there is a pretty strong indication that the Classic Shard community would most prefer T2A era.

If the devs are paying any attention to this thread (which I somewhat doubt they are since a few people 'left' the dev team) then I think they would get the impression that we (the people that want a Classic Shard) all have varying ideas of what we would want in a shard...but that we are willing to accept what has become a concensus here.

The best course of action, IMO, for the devs at this point, would be to open a Classic Shard up for (closed) beta testing. Take weekly feedback from the players, and adjust as necessary. Then open the beta to anyone interested, and see how things go. Once the beta is complete, wipe the shard, and start fresh.

I'd really like to see them do this right...as I know that there are numerous players, and non-players, that seek to say 'I told you so' and actively seek to prevent a Classic Shard from coming to be due to their own insecurities and fears. If a Classic Shard launches, and no testing is done first, and the population is overrun by PKing, or they exploit some ancient bug that destroys the economy of the shard, or something of that nature...then we probably won't get a second chance.

S

SoulStealer A.O

As much as I love the T2A era and agree that is the era of choice for a classic shard, the more screenshots I see of old school UO the more I miss it. Back when everyone walked around in plate and there were true dungeon crawls. Post Dread days (Once the rep patch was put in) was by far my most memorable time in UO. The age of the True Tank Mage. Even though the PvP template was still considered a tank mage template in the era after Med and eval was put in, it just didnt have the same feel.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there is any way to accurately gauge that. I have seen people claim that no one would play a classic shard, I have seen people claim that thousands and thousands would...

...but at the end of the day, the only thing you have to go on is supposition and evidence based on 'the buzz' around the 'net.

And there is some buzz going on...

You HAVE to remember that a lot of people who would play that classic shard have nothing to do with UO anymore. 4 of my real life friends play a free shard because it's classic, and I can honestly name at least 10+ more people who would come back and play a classic shard. and those people know people ect ect.

my best guess is every current UO player who has played for more than 5 years knows at least 5 people who would come back for a classic shard.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yes...I am aware of how many non-current subscribers there are that claim they would come back. But there is no way to validate those claims.

But it is their interest that I have at heart.

If they are so intent on coming back, then perhaps the devs could institute a program that allowed them to sing up again stating WHY they signed up again, and then choose the beta participants from those people, plus people that answer certain questions on UO.com. Doesn't matter the method of selection...as long as anti-classic shard/pro-AoS and Tram people are barred from participation. We do not need a bunch of pro-item based/no risk UO types offering their input. They have 26 shards to choose from...and IMO, that's more than they deserve.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes...I am aware of how many non-current subscribers there are that claim they would come back. But there is no way to validate those claims.

But it is their interest that I have at heart.

If they are so intent on coming back, then perhaps the devs could institute a program that allowed them to sing up again stating WHY they signed up again, and then choose the beta participants from those people, plus people that answer certain questions on UO.com. Doesn't matter the method of selection...as long as anti-classic shard/pro-AoS and Tram people are barred from participation. We do not need a bunch of pro-item based/no risk UO types offering their input. They have 26 shards to choose from...and IMO, that's more than they deserve.
If you bar any group of people, then your options/selections aren't valid. There have been more than a few Trammel based players here that have been in support of this. But I guess we aren't good enough to come into your playground?

No, what's gone on far longer than it has deserved has been this thread, which has openly spoken of free shards, which is against the RoC. It's caused direct and open name-calling, which is against the RoC. You need to really thank Petra, Kelmo, et al, for not locking it then, and just paring out the offensive posts.

You claim you have your concensus, so what more is there to discuss? Another bunch of one post wonders saying *me too!!!* ? As you said earlier in this thread, it's a shame that IP's aren't posted with each post made.

I just don't get it - this has had it's Warhole moment - and now you aren't even satisfied with that, and you have to go and start bashing on anyone that you think doesn't/won't agree with you. Running out of ideas? Or just originality? Or is it that, since you have claimed concensus, you are no longer able to flip-flop on compromise, and now have to look like one of the cool kids?

I still support the idea - I just think the spokesperson is trying, intentionally or not, to get the whole thing torpedo'd. And that would be a real shame. And NONE of us deserve that.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The old school players of UO have ONE place for their voice...ONE thread. All we ask for is ONE shard.

Look at the number of threads in UHall. Look how many threads on this subject have been locked. And then you DARE come into the single thread that we are allowed and suggest that it has "had it's Warhole moment"??

I did not attack anyone...and I do not mean to exclude anyone...but the fact of the matter is that there are many posters here (and I will not name names, and I charge you with the task of finding any instance in which I have done so) that stand firmly against a Classic Shard. In fact, it has long been the stance of Stratics in general to take such a stand. You tell me I should thank this person and that person, well you are certainly correct. I do thank the management of Stratics for allowing a vastly under-represented group of Ultima Online players (without which, the game probably would not exist today) for having our day in the sun.

It is my intention to keep this concept alive...at my own expense if I have to do so. So you can claim that I am working to "torpedo" the idea, but in truth, I am only trying to make sure that the silent voices of the past are not lost in a sea of voices of those in opposition.

At one point, you claimed to be for a Classic Shard, yet here you are advocating for the closure of this thread? How can you possibly reconcile the duality of both of those stances?

Currently, the only chance of a Classic Shard exists with this thread. I did not start it, but I will post in it until the mods/admins lock it or delete it. And there is not a thing in this world that you, or anyone else that is against a Classic Shard, can do to stop me. And when this thread is gone...I will start another one. And when that one is gone, I will start another. And eventually, I will be banned from Stratics, or we will have a Classic Shard. And if I am banned from Stratics, then I will start my own website, my own forum.

WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED ANY LONGER!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Just had to post this...this is the 666th post in this thread! \m/

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old school players of UO have ONE place for their voice...ONE thread. All we ask for is ONE shard.

Look at the number of threads in UHall. Look how many threads on this subject have been locked. And then you DARE come into the single thread that we are allowed and suggest that it has "had it's Warhole moment"??

I did not attack anyone...and I do not mean to exclude anyone...but the fact of the matter is that there are many posters here (and I will not name names, and I charge you with the task of finding any instance in which I have done so) that stand firmly against a Classic Shard. In fact, it has long been the stance of Stratics in general to take such a stand. You tell me I should thank this person and that person, well you are certainly correct. I do thank the management of Stratics for allowing a vastly under-represented group of Ultima Online players (without which, the game probably would not exist today) for having our day in the sun.

It is my intention to keep this concept alive...at my own expense if I have to do so. So you can claim that I am working to "torpedo" the idea, but in truth, I am only trying to make sure that the silent voices of the past are not lost in a sea of voices of those in opposition.

At one point, you claimed to be for a Classic Shard, yet here you are advocating for the closure of this thread? How can you possibly reconcile the duality of both of those stances?

Currently, the only chance of a Classic Shard exists with this thread. I did not start it, but I will post in it until the mods/admins lock it or delete it. And there is not a thing in this world that you, or anyone else that is against a Classic Shard, can do to stop me. And when this thread is gone...I will start another one. And when that one is gone, I will start another. And eventually, I will be banned from Stratics, or we will have a Classic Shard. And if I am banned from Stratics, then I will start my own website, my own forum.

WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED ANY LONGER!
Your problem is, you read what you want to read, and put a lot of things between the lines that aren't there, and ignore everything else. You want to ignore some unwilling allies, that's on your head.

And in your own words, you highly doubt the devs have even bothered to read this. So, just by extension, your *ONLY* hope for a classic shard is if Cal decides to do something more than notice that itch below his belt on the reverse side of his body...

and, just for the record -

as long as anti-classic shard/pro-AoS and Tram people are barred from participation.
IS exclusion. You don't like their message, and they don't like yours, so let's not let them in *OUR* sandbox.

Yes, it's had it's Warhole moment. This is out of your hands, not that it was ever actually there to begin with. Either Cal says go, or he says no. And by your own admission, you don't even believe he's paying attention.

My position has been clear since the beginning - you have had more positions than exist on a pro-football team... and while we are taking people to task, I task you to go through every post YOU have made in this thread, and then stop and think how it could not only be possible, but highly likely, that people really can't figure out just where you stand.

----

I openly applaud your voice, Morgana - I've said that before. But when you start interjecting negativity of any type towards anyone, especially including those that disagree with you, all you are doing is playing into their already strong hand - one you have touched on yourself. That being the concept that all UO was before Ren was nothing but gankland, filled with nothing but a bunch of immature kiddies.

If you keep going the negative route, in any form, all you are going to do is, right or wrong, prove them right in their own minds. And the dream will remain just that - a dream. And regardless of if you want to believe it or not, despite the fact that there was no compromise offered on what I thought were 2 very good ideas, I am on your side.

Believe it or not, you are playing from a position of extreme weakness, but you can still win - but only if you go back to, and maintain, the high road.

U

Unsatisfied

as long as anti-classic shard/pro-AoS and Tram people are barred from participation.
IS exclusion. You don't like their message, and they don't like yours, so let's not let them in *OUR* sandbox.
I only wanna comment on this part, the rest of it is between you two I guess but I think what she was trying to say in this bit is that anti classic shard people shouldnt be included because more than likely their single goal would be to derail the idea, not to play the shard itself.

S

SoulStealer A.O

Yeah, hes right. Let's keep the name calling and negitivity down. I brought up the freeshards, and that's my fault for seeing a topic and jump into posting out of excitment before reading the RoC.

In order for a classic server to work it needs players of all types and from all eras of the game. This was a productive thread, lets keep it that way folks.

There are a group of us who still hold onto our UO server forum and we are pretty excited that talks about this are in the works. Opinions from all sides are a good thing.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only wanna comment on this part, the rest of it is between you two I guess but I think what she was trying to say in this bit is that anti classic shard people shouldnt be included because more than likely their single goal would be to derail the idea, not to play the shard itself.
I understand the post, but does anyone think that something exclusionary like that will

a) silence the naysayers
b) not give them even MORE ammunition
c) solve and/or prove anything?

You see, I am something of the hopeless romantic myself - and perhaps a bit of an optimist. I see all these people posting about how things will change now, how it will HAVE to change - no more rampant PK'ing... no more griefing... no more of the immature crap that anyone with any dignity will admit DID go on pre-UO:R.

And excluding the naysayers is just depriving those that want a classic shard the ultimate opportunity to say - See, *WE* told *YOU* so...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

no more of the immature crap that anyone with any dignity will admit DID go on pre-UO:R.
So your position is made clear...you want a Classic Post-Ren shard. Wonderful. You want what you want.

I would not play on such a shard, and I doubt that many of the posters here would either. But I guess it does not matter what the majority of Classic Shard community wants...just you and a few others, right?

I will say this one more time...

Trammel destroyed what Ultima Online was. Something HAD to be done about PKing, but it NEVER should have been the divisive world split that ushered in AoS...NEVER.

This game was once something unique. A living world in which you made the experience your own. You could become a crafter...and supply those around you with weapons, and armor. You could fight for good, and fight against the evil that plauged the land. Or you could become a servant of evil, and fight against those that stood for the virtues.

It was truly up to the player.

After Trammel, your choice became, PvP or PvM.

If you like that, then PLEASE log in to any of the 26 available shards. There are over two dozen shards that cater specifically to your playstyle. They offer safety, comfort, lots of lands, peerless bosses, rare items, instanced this and that, and all the neon colors you could ever want...and, to top it all off, you too can make a house that looks like a McDonald's!

But that is NOT what WE are about. We don't want those things. We want what UO WAS. Not some Trammelized shard that will just be another lack of options.

YOU HAVE THAT NOW...JUST USE IT AND LEAVE US TO DISCUSS WHAT WE WANT!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Also, none of us here want to say "we told you so"...we just want the game we LOST back.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Morgana -

Your inability to read anything outside the context of your own little fantasy world has tainted this thread, and this very idea. You have NO clue what my stance is, because you simply don't care to read what it is. It's all there, in black and white. For the sake of historical accuracy (which you claim to be striving to revive) -

Pre-AoS. Pre-Renaissance. With the PK controls in place. I didn't complain and whine when I suggested custom housing, with nothing but classic tiles, was fairly well shouted down, nor did I whine and complain when my input on control slots imposed on tamers was also roundly shouted down. That is, and has been, the ONLY stance I have taken since the topic started. And you cannot adapt history to say anything to the contrary, as much as you may try, or as much as you intentionally try to misinterpret.

It doesn't matter - I'm done with this thread - your lack of ability to show any reason has made any attempt at real discussion impossible.

@everyone else that wants this to happen -

Find a new spokesperson. Or this is just as doomed to failure as every other attempt has been. You've seen where the negativity started. I personally hope you get your server, pre-Trammel, pre-AoS. And I hope it's everything that everyone wants.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, none of us here want to say "we told you so"...we just want the game we LOST back.
:lol:

I would be astounded if EA did release a classic shard, but not surprised. I guess some people do buy Evian for $100 a bottle instead of just drinking tap water for free. Far easier and imo far more successful would be all Fel and all Tram shards.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Morgana -

Your inability to read anything outside the context of your own little fantasy world has tainted this thread, and this very idea. You have NO clue what my stance is, because you simply don't care to read what it is. It's all there, in black and white. For the sake of historical accuracy (which you claim to be striving to revive) -

Pre-AoS. Pre-Renaissance. With the PK controls in place. I didn't complain and whine when I suggested custom housing, with nothing but classic tiles, was fairly well shouted down, nor did I whine and complain when my input on control slots imposed on tamers was also roundly shouted down. That is, and has been, the ONLY stance I have taken since the topic started. And you cannot adapt history to say anything to the contrary, as much as you may try, or as much as you intentionally try to misinterpret.

It doesn't matter - I'm done with this thread - your lack of ability to show any reason has made any attempt at real discussion impossible.

@everyone else that wants this to happen -

Find a new spokesperson. Or this is just as doomed to failure as every other attempt has been. You've seen where the negativity started. I personally hope you get your server, pre-Trammel, pre-AoS. And I hope it's everything that everyone wants.
Thats pretty much explains why I have givin up on the thread, If they decide to go back in time and make T2A again with none of the great things UO has put in game, over a decades worth of stuff that would not hurt the general spirit of T2A UO. Then I no longer support said shard, nor will I have any intrest playing it all over again, it would Be like Playing Super Mario Brothers on my old NES.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Pre-AoS. Pre-Renaissance. With the PK controls in place.

I personally hope you get your server, pre-Trammel, pre-AoS.
Exactly what I have been calling for...so why turn on me? We want the same things. I said nothing against these things, or you. I merely said that there were players (I will not mention names) that have said that exactly what you are asking for is "a waste of resources".

This in fighting needs to stop.

As a community of classic shard players, we should band together, and not worry about minute details and who said this or that.

For what it is worth Guido_LS, I have devoted more time to this issue than I should have...and at the end of the day, all I want is exactly what you want. Yet somehow, I have become the 'bad guy' in your eyes. How does that happen? What exactly makes someone like you turn on someone like me...when in the end, all we want is the same things?

Well, I never wanted to be a 'spokesperson' or an 'avatar' for a Classic Shard...I just wanted to help to steer this debate away from the 100% Tram vs. 100% open no consequence PvP argument.

I see now that my efforts are wasted. The devs offer no response, the Stratics management close or lock any thread besides this one, and even here in the one thread that we do have...we have people that seek to sabotage the effort of the community.

I guess UO, at least as I remember it, is dead. And I guess that is exactly as it should be. This game has out lived any other game like it, and going back now is probably not possible. Too many people feel too strongly about having things that serve their purposes, rather than what serves the greater good.

So be it.

I will watch, and wait, if a Classic Shard comes to be, I might try it, but as of tomorrow, I am closing my UO accounts. I am done with this farce they call UO.

S

SoulStealer A.O

One last point from me. As I've been digging some UO stuff, I guess T2A was out for 5 months before they put in meditation ending the tank mage. Would be cool to see the era of no med again. Crafting seemed so much more viable then too. (I'm sure many people think differently, I just posting random words heh ;p)

H

Heartseeker

Pre-AoS. Pre-Renaissance. With the PK controls in place.

I personally hope you get your server, pre-Trammel, pre-AoS.
Exactly what I have been calling for...so why turn on me? We want the same things. I said nothing against these things, or you. I merely said that there were players (I will not mention names) that have said that exactly what you are asking for is "a waste of resources".

This in fighting needs to stop.

As a community of classic shard players, we should band together, and not worry about minute details and who said this or that.

For what it is worth Guido_LS, I have devoted more time to this issue than I should have...and at the end of the day, all I want is exactly what you want. Yet somehow, I have become the 'bad guy' in your eyes. How does that happen? What exactly makes someone like you turn on someone like me...when in the end, all we want is the same things?

Well, I never wanted to be a 'spokesperson' or an 'avatar' for a Classic Shard...I just wanted to help to steer this debate away from the 100% Tram vs. 100% open no consequence PvP argument.

I see now that my efforts are wasted. The devs offer no response, the Stratics management close or lock any thread besides this one, and even here in the one thread that we do have...we have people that seek to sabotage the effort of the community.

I guess UO, at least as I remember it, is dead. And I guess that is exactly as it should be. This game has out lived any other game like it, and going back now is probably not possible. Too many people feel too strongly about having things that serve their purposes, rather than what serves the greater good.

So be it.

I will watch, and wait, if a Classic Shard comes to be, I might try it, but as of tomorrow, I am closing my UO accounts. I am done with this farce they call UO.
I agree with you 100%.

My accounts are all closed and will remain that way.

If EA does start up a T2A shard I will come back and try it; but for the most part this game has lost all the good people, with item hoarders being all that is left.

UO is still a great game, and is still fun to play; just not for EA.

R

Rancid Wolf

It's awesome to see that a "Classic" UO server is in the works. I haven't played since they took a sledge hammer to the blade that was already in the games heart with the release of AoS but myself and a few of my guildmates would be back for a T2A server in a heart beat.

I'm also a fan of the Pre-Meditation era (1998 T2A) and hopefullly this goes through and we can experience the game how it once ones again and folks who missed out can see what we have been blabbing about for the last decade.

B

Bc-

Hey Morgan not sure if you remember but a few years ago we had a similar thread about this idea where we argued till we were blue in the face with many of the same names I see in here today.

Back then I said, it isn't IF this will happen, but when. I was told that I was dreaming, again by many of the people in this thread. Funny how the when is starting to come into play? I don't think we are through the door obviously, but we are on the door step of a EA run Classic shard, and that when is starting to become a now. :D

Still doubt me?

B

Bc-

Heatseeker, and anyone else who has a similar reply to him, I would ask you to reconsider this post. It is true that a lot of the good old people have left the game. But, if the launching of a free shard that cant be named was any indication of what we can expect then I would say by day two you would see 50-60% of those old names return.

I logged into a free shard that cant be named 1 with my old guild, many of whom hadn't played UO for years prior to this. I was shocked, absolutely shocked that by the third or fourth week in I had ran into every major guild I had ever been allied with OR fought against from the Sonoma shard. Just shocked. It was like Sonoma re created. We have a Sonoma facebook group that has hundreds of old names on it enemies and allies alike, the general consensus is and always has been if there was ever a EA run UO shard everyone would be back, we would re draw our 10 year old fued lines in the sand and just pick up right where we left off.

WHEN this shard goes live, they will be thinking of creating a second one because the population boom is going to be nuts. Think of 10 servers worth of vets all coming back at once. New guilds will form, new alliances and old enemies. It will simply be nothing short of epic.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Bc-

You might want to edit your post to hide the name of that freeshard.

Petra warned someone about it before...and I think we should all abide by what the mods/admins want if we wish to keep this thread open.

L

Longest Journey

So, the classic shard is looking like this?:

-The Second Age era
-Stat loss and long term murder counts for reds
-T2A Item system (Vanq/Ruin magic weapons, Invul/hardening magic armor, magic wands, jewelery, boots, capes, etc.)
-T2A skill and stat caps (700.0 skill point pool, 225 stat point pool)
-T2A magic system
-Stat and skill controls (IE ability to set skills/stats to raise, lower and lock)
-Chaos and Order Guilds
-Guild Stones
-more Stackable items (IE Potions)
-Crafting Upgrades (See below)

**Crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor as well as repair it along with leather armor

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no character transfers, to or from classic server(s)
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-no control slots for tamers or mages
-no repair contracts
-no bless deeds or blessed items
-no factions

L

Longest Journey

Oh, and before I forget, does anyone remember back when potions and poisoning were actually useful? You know, back when you didnt need high alchemy for potions to actually heal you or for explotion potions to actually do damage. All you needed was an alchemist to make the potions for you and they were potent because of the skill of the person who made it, not the skill of the person drinking/using the potion.

Or back when anyone could use a poisoned weapon, all you needed was someone to poison it for you and the strength of the poison would be determined by the person who made the potion, not the person using the poisoned weapon.

Yeah, Id like to see those days come back because the current system us just crap, plain and simple.

K

Keep Hope Alive

-The Second Age era
-T2A Item system (Vanq/Ruin magic weapons, Invul/hardening magic armor, magic wands, jewelery, boots, capes, etc.)
-T2A magic system
-Stat and skill controls (IE ability to set skills/stats to raise, lower and lock)
-Chaos and Order Guilds
-Guild Stones

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor as well as repair it along with leather armor

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-no repair contracts
-no factions
All this sounds great! In the last couple of days, I signed up for one of those player-run shards and it has exactly this and is exactly what I remember loving about UO. I quit UO because I was sick of the devaluation of money (everybody had 40 million in the bank) and scripters getting all of the artifacts. The player-run shard is fine for now, but I want something from EA/Mythic that I pay for and know will not be deleted when the people running it run out of desire or resources.

I want a classic shard!

Keep hope alive

U

Unsatisfied

-The Second Age era
-T2A magic system
-Chaos and Order Guilds
-Guild Stones

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-no repair contracts
-no factions
There's some minor things I'd change on the lost but I'm not even going to mention them for the simple fact of an apropriate compromise.

Happy with the list.

B

Bc-

Feels good to be close.

If it is a T2A setting then we can agree that custom housing is out. I hate, absolutely hate, house hide PvP. At what point in UO did this become the Norm? It is such a cancer on the game.

Remove custom houses, friend lists are fine but access lists, no no no. It should be either zero secures or the four secure for a 2 story, 6 for a tower like rule. So you can protect some loot, but not all of it.

Or free for all, doesn't matter to me, I think that some secures would help the less hardcore players stick around longer though. We have to remember that this game is double sided. We need those guys that like to bank sit, we need the guys that love to kill monsters, we need the crafters, the role players, we need that balance to make the shard successful. Without them its just a PK city that spirals downward slowly.

I met a guy in WOW a few years back that all he did was craft, he had like 8 toons with every profession. I asked him why he didn't like to PvP or raid and he said that crafting had always been his thing. He said that he had been on the search since the days of old UO for a game that could offer him the same crafting "thrills". So far the search was un successful, he was a fan of WOW's crafting system, but their economy was crap compared to what UO had. We need that unique economy, it is as much a part of UO as guild wars or lich lords were.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

-The Second Age era
-T2A magic system
-Chaos and Order Guilds
-Guild Stones

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-no repair contracts
-no factions
I'd take it in a split second...but I do have a couple of minor points:

-no control slots for tamers or mages...

I think you will get some push back on this, especially here on Stratics. People seem to hate tamers, so giving tamers back the ability to hunt with a pack of dragons might be something that some people object to. Personally, I like it, but I can see it as unbalancing.

-crafters making and repairing bone armor...

This was always the down side to bone armor. It protected like plate, without the dex hit, so there has to be some downside. The fact that you couldn't repair it was the drawback...so I'd say leave that as it was. No problem with tailors making it, I just think it should not be repairable.

But for me at least, these things are not deal breakers...I would love to play on the shard described above regardless of these two minor things.

T

Trebr Drab

-The Second Age era
-T2A magic system
-Chaos and Order Guilds
-Guild Stones

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-no repair contracts
-no factions
I'd be elated for this.
However, there are things that have been added to UO over the years that are just plain cool and fun, and I'd like to see those things reviewed for balance or practicality and added if possible.
Things like:
-custom housing
-plants
-books (love the hundred page craftable book)
-ahh, too much to list, but mostly decorative and customization in tasteful ways.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feels good to be close.

If it is a T2A setting then we can agree that custom housing is out. I hate, absolutely hate, house hide PvP. At what point in UO did this become the Norm? It is such a cancer on the game.
See no custom housing would be a deal breaker to me, its one of my most favorite systems in UO, where the house hiders come in is the fact the housing rules favor that type of cowardice. Pre aos anyone could enter houses unless the door was locked, if you made it in you would be gray and freely attackable if you were not co-owner or friend. the day they made private housing was the day house hiding PvP became the norm.

T

Trebr Drab

Oh, and before I forget, does anyone remember back when potions and poisoning were actually useful? You know, back when you didnt need high alchemy for potions to actually heal you or for explotion potions to actually do damage. All you needed was an alchemist to make the potions for you and they were potent because of the skill of the person who made it, not the skill of the person drinking/using the potion.

Or back when anyone could use a poisoned weapon, all you needed was someone to poison it for you and the strength of the poison would be determined by the person who made the potion, not the person using the poisoned weapon.

Yeah, Id like to see those days come back because the current system us just crap, plain and simple.
One of the things that bother me about UO is the inability to be a Jack of All Trades in skills, because everything requires top skill numbers to be effective (well, most do). This reminder about poison and potions goes right along with that. I like lots of options and things to do. I don't want to be restricted to a few things that my "class" can do.
I'd also like to see more trade skill support items for the adventurer for more options.

But all that's after we get a "classic" server, if we get one. This whole thing could be nothing more than just a slip of the tongue.

T

Trebr Drab

Feels good to be close.

Remove custom houses, friend lists are fine but access lists, no no no. It should be either zero secures or the four secure for a 2 story, 6 for a tower like rule. So you can protect some loot, but not all of it.

Or free for all, doesn't matter to me, I think that some secures would help the less hardcore players stick around longer though. We have to remember that this game is double sided. We need those guys that like to bank sit, we need the guys that love to kill monsters, we need the crafters, the role players, we need that balance to make the shard successful. Without them its just a PK city that spirals downward slowly.

I met a guy in WOW a few years back that all he did was craft, he had like 8 toons with every profession. I asked him why he didn't like to PvP or raid and he said that crafting had always been his thing. He said that he had been on the search since the days of old UO for a game that could offer him the same crafting "thrills". So far the search was un successful, he was a fan of WOW's crafting system, but their economy was crap compared to what UO had. We need that unique economy, it is as much a part of UO as guild wars or lich lords were.
I completely agree about a game needing those merchant types. This is why I want to see a justice system that works to reduce PKing and stealing to acceptable levels, yet allows for players to kill a few jerks once in a while.

WoW's economy is crap because it's spread out in the level to zone (not just land zones, everything is zoned out to levels) system. And that's exactly what happened to UO when they added item level grinds, but to a lesser extent. It was still enough to kill crafting for just about everyone but the Luna Vendors.

B

Bc-

See no custom housing would be a deal breaker to me, its one of my most favorite systems in UO, where the house hiders come in is the fact the housing rules favor that type of cowardice. Pre aos anyone could enter houses unless the door was locked, if you made it in you would be gray and freely attackable if you were not co-owner or friend. the day they made private housing was the day house hiding PvP became the norm.
Any server that has customizable housing no longer has my support.

We are talking about a Classic shard, what part of Classic is customizable housing?

From what I can gather they will be grabbing a point in the game and throwing a dart at it and that is where we stick. It won't be T2A but with plants and BOD's, it will be T2A as is lets go. That is the ONLY way this will work, if you try and add and take away every little detail to appease every little person there is no way it can work. EA knows this, and that is the way it will be done.

E

Evlar

I have to admit, that one of the single aspects I like about current UO is the ability to customise housing. I also do like decorative items that can be used within them. For me, they actually do add something to the game. Yes, there's no accounting for taste, with some of the eyesores you see around. Look on Europa though and you'll see a great many tastefully customised homes, themed homes and player created towns. Creativity and imagination of the player base is something that should always should be encouraged.

That said though, if it was a choice between that and not having a classic pre-AOS shard, then I'm sure I could live without house customisation.

With regards to crafting, I guess that I'm one of those crafter nerds that enjoys having a full compliment of skilled crafters. I've actually never been much of a merchant though. I've usually been more of a player who crafts items for my other characters, guildmates and friends. I did like standing at Brit forge, crafting and repairing for a fair price for passers by though.

In actual fact, only a small portion of my time was ever spent on PvP. I always had characters who could handle themselves comfortably, even my miner was also a swordsman. Beating off a red with a pickaxe was always amusing ;)

Mostly, I only participated if I could see some point to it. Roleplaying, hunting reds, group battles, defending/raiding a player town or guild. Hanging around at gates or smack-talking just didn't "do it" for me.

Pretty much, I embrased the whole of the game as it was. Nowadays, I simply just don't like the post-AOS item based game. That change, above and beyond any others, changed the entire "feel" of the game, how people play the game and most importantly, the community. It's the fact that such a big majority of players these days are chasing "items", that's probably turned me off the game as it is, as much as it has.

Incidentally, UO is the only MMO that I've ever played. I have looked at others, but they just don't appeal to me as much as UO did when I started playing in 1999. I still have my UO "Second Age" box, with all its contents...

Essentially though, my favoured starting point for a classic shard, would be pretty much the same as...

-The Second Age era
-T2A magic system
-Chaos and Order Guilds
-Guild Stones

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-no repair contracts
-no factions
...anything else could be added later, but only if it had the support of over 90% of the player base, were a classic shard to actually get off the ground.

B

Bc-

Well said. I honestly don't even care what the rules for PvP are, I just want the community back.

The way I look at it is the community in UO was at its strongest point in 98-99, that is the time frame we need to get back to. I remember a time in UO when you could identify people based on what they were wearing. You know which parts of the world you could go to at any given time to find a specific guild or player. You actually interacted with players that were on your screen. You didn't stand there and have silent words pass between tells across the world, or tells when you are 4 feet apart.

E

Evlar

Sadly though, we can't travel back in time. However, if a classic shard becomes a reality, then it will be up to the "new" community of that shard, to make it great.

If the devs give us the tools to do it, then I'm sure we'll be able to do a good job. :)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. There's a great deal can be learned from the past. It seems to be mainly people who played in that era who want the classic shard. Hopefully the more mature participants that will be there from the offset, will help encourage something that everyone enjoys.

L

Longest Journey

I'd take it in a split second...but I do have a couple of minor points:

-no control slots for tamers or mages...

I think you will get some push back on this, especially here on Stratics. People seem to hate tamers, so giving tamers back the ability to hunt with a pack of dragons might be something that some people object to. Personally, I like it, but I can see it as unbalancing.
Tamers werent all dominance with dragons. It was a pain to control all of those creatures at once. If a tamer had more than 3 pets out at once, they would start to disobey the tamers commands. Also, people LOVED killing dragons back then. As soon as word got out there was some tamer with a bunch of dragons, people would go after them for the sole fact of being able to kill the dragons. Of course, this is when people wanted to be Glorious Lord/Lady and killing dragons was a good way to achieve that.

Was it possible for a tamer to come in with 6 dragons? Yes. Did that tamer and their dragons survive long? Not usually.

Besides, the balancing factor was that once those dragons were dead, they were dead for good. Also, they were a pain in the arse to tame back then too. I remember watching a tamer get his butt stomped by dragons while he was trying to tame one. Eventually, he brought a couple of his guildmates to try and finish the job. The whole thing took them an hour to do, just for 1 dragon. Dont get me started on how hard the White Wyrms were to tame.

The balance was there, its just that people are intimidated by the prospect of being able to control multiple dragons, when in fact, it was a pain for the tamer to get and keep control of all of those dragons.

Also, one last point, in the classic days, there were no control slots. Thats an AOS thing.

-crafters making and repairing bone armor...

This was always the down side to bone armor. It protected like plate, without the dex hit, so there has to be some downside. The fact that you couldn't repair it was the drawback...so I'd say leave that as it was. No problem with tailors making it, I just think it should not be repairable.
Lets see.... a bone chest piece dropped your dex by -7, the arms by -2, the gloves by 0, and the leggings by -3. Yeah, thats about right, they didnt eat up your dex as much as plate.

However, a plate suit offered WAY more AR than bone did. I loved bone armor because it looked awesome when I mixed it with leather to make some decent dex suits when I first started out. Then I started mixing ring and chainmail for better AR and less dex penalty.

But for me at least, these things are not deal breakers...I would love to play on the shard described above regardless of these two minor things.
They arent deal breakers, but they would fix some old problems from back then. I remember people compaining they couldnt fix their staves, or bows or leather armor. I also remember people complaining about the campfire jerks who would light campfires around the bank to drop people's GM'd skills. That stat controls fixed that and the crafting upgrades are just logical. It never made sense that players couldnt fix bows or leather armor.

L

Longest Journey

You obviously never saw people camping inside of a House with large patio before. Back in T2A, some wusses would use houses like that to shoot at people from the patio. The only balancing factor was people could shoot back at them because they were open and exposed on that patio.

The problem with custom houses is players can make the ground floor completely open and wall-less and have the cover of a roof protect them. And even if you get past the front door, people will more than likely have tables locked down across the entrance barring anyone from proceeding in any farther. Not to forget, even IF you do get inside, whoever is inside will just ban you out of the house. People being shot at outside wont be able to target those shooting them from inside because the roof will block them from clicking on them. Total advantage for the people in the house, complete disadvantage for the people outside.

Custom houses work in AOS, but they wont work in a T2A setting. They leave too much room for abuse and exploitation in an open PvP setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.