• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*Most of us* would like a lot more Stable Slots...

T

The Fallout

Ok, I'm going to give a good reason why there should only be 2 given, regardless of my personal opinions on the matter.
I would honestly like to hear reasons why it should be more, other than derivatives of "I want there to be more".

Here goes:
You'll observe with the majority of additions that there has been a reasonably controlled escalation in "intensity" for things added to the game. Each addition or expansion is tailored to make it more appealing than the last, in terms other than "pixel crack".
Stronger monsters, better loot, and so on. The escalation continues at a rate that makes it appealing, but doesn't relegate the recently preceding additions as worthless.
So, they're adding stable slots, because there is somewhat of a need, at both ends of the spectrum.
So they add two. That's a significant increase at the lower end, doubling the stable space for non-tamers, and adding a little more at the upper end. So, there's an advantage to having SA, but not so significant a one to greatly disadvantage those without it.
If they added enough stable slots that you wouldn't want more, then they'll have peaked that "intensity". That is not a good method for adding new things to anything with an element of persistence, and it would be a good business.
Also, the added stable slots would somewhat trivialise the extra slots earned through skill gain.
They never added any slots at Samurai Empire OR Mondain's Legacy. If they had, I might have agreed. I still go back to my original argument, other skills don't have to choose or pick what weapons or magic they want, tamers shouldn't either, at least not as much as they do now.

T

The Fallout

I have to be missing something here. This stable slot issue comes up constantly around here. I have a tamer, and I don't use the stable slots I have now. I have a greater dragon, a dread mare, a cu sidhe, and then a few token pets like battle chickens and such. If you need more stable slots, then
Yes, we ALL play the game JUST LIKE YOU. No one plays different AT ALL. We all have to have what you have or we are playing wrong. Yeah ok.

BTW love the pic.

T

The Fallout

Re: We would like a lot more Stable Slots...

:ten:

You have a terrific attitude.
I said it before, I'd rather have 0 then 2. Like someone else said. Adding 2 seems like, "oh they're complaining here's a nickel and leave me alone." it can't be that hard to change the 2 to a 5 or 8.

S

Salya Sin

WOW! 2 more slots... I'm all giddy! :danceb:

That said... I can understand some of the fuss. They have increased home and bank storage twice... but stable space has been the same since Pub. 16. For those of you who do not know exactly what that means... Pub. 16 saw the first Fire Steed put into play. The FIRE STEED! How many pets have come out since then?

Yeah yeah... Greater Dragon.. BLAH BLAH! My goodness people... I don't know how you guys play... but I know when my guild does a spawn... the Greater Dragons take the fire... the tamers risk dying to keep the GD alive while everyone else hammers at it with what they can to get PowerScrolls and arties. Maybe you all can do some of these bosses without a powerful creature taking most of the hits... but I would rather NOT be one hit by some nasty boss OR spend 6 hrs killing it with EV's and Dexers.

The point here is simple... houses and banks were given increases TWICE to account for the influx of items in the game... the stables have not been increased for so long that most are limited in what they can tame for pleasure... forget power. I for one have 4 Cu's... not because I run around on them all the time... I just LOVE THEM and their colors... I have a Dread Warhorse... A bright red hellcat and am awaiting room for more hellcats. I have a fire steed because I like it. These are not pets that I really use... I just want them. I have things in my house for the same reason... and by NOT upgrading the stables all this time is insuring that MOST TAMERS are not going to toss out a pet for a Skree... Sorry... we've been waiting for too long to get some previous released pet and will most likely be using the spot for a Runebeetle. OH... and was there something said about Packing Reptalons? Who has the space for that?

The two slots will be welcomed... THANKS DEVS!!! SERIOUSLY!

But I too would like to see maybe three additional slots for the 120 tame/vet/lore goal. :thumbsup:

EDIT* Before I get jumped... by MOST TAMERS- I meant the ones that I know... Runebeetle is just an example... and the Packing Reptalons was a question on the recent Commons Meeting. I know the number of slots Reptalons take... again... was just an example.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I believe Stable Slots always had caps. Originally Tamers had no CONTROL caps, so we could tame and control as many as we wished. But they wouldnt bond nor could we stable them all. Moreover, I mentioned the control caps in my post tho you didnt bother to quote that.

Please get your facts straight before running your mouth...er, fingers off with CAPS.
No there was absolutely NO limits on the number of pets you could stable originally and YES there were NO limits on the number of pets you could have out and NO there was NO pet bonding. And just to inform you there WERE NO LIMITS ON THE ITEMS IN A HOUSE ORIGINALLY. Now there are the FACTS YOU HAVE BEEN LACKING.

The only limits(a misnomer) on stable slots was originally you could NOT retrieve your pet from any NPC except the one you stabled it with. The POPULAR NPC's filled up (read as the list was to long to process in a timely manner without inducing lag) and people went to other NPC's, then the GRIEFING began about stabling any old tameable to insure you had a slot and to sell slots.

Then came the World Wide Stabling System and an increase in the TOTAL number of Slots IN THE SYSTEM. This too broke (read as became to large to process in a timely manner) and then came the Statuettes and the eventual Caps (read as PART OF THE GREATEST NERF EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MMORPG's).

Now YOU HAVE THE INCONVENIENT FACTS.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come on Devs ... you've given us all these cool new pets to play with. Dont make us have to give up our existing pets to have them. How about on top of the base 2 increase for everyone, an extra stable slot at 100, 110 and 120 for each of Taming, Vet and Lore? (thats another 9 more math fans!) TBH 6 would be great ... 3 for each skill at 110 and 120 :)

W

Wolfways

While i'm grateful for the 2 slots i'll be getting i do agree with others who say we need more for tamers. It's also funny how people keep comparing tamers to other classes when more stable slots would make no difference to the power of tamers.

But as people like to compare classes...

*Taming is without doubt the longest and most boring skill to train.
*Tamers need good armour just as much as warriors and mages so spend equal time and effort to get it (yes tamers do get hit sometimes, especially when taming and if they are tamer/warriors).
*Aswell as getting good armour tamers need to find pets with a combination of good arour and offensive skills/stats.
*Pets often need to be trained to make them effective, unlike weapons or spells.
*Pets take 1 stable slot each. Warriors can store thousands of weapons if they choose, and mages need 9 storage spaces (1 spellbook and 8 regs).
*Tamers need to find (very time consuming), tame (which is often dangerous) and train pets (very, very time consuming), while warriors can get their weapons made by crafters, and mages can get spellbooks for free (often found on the ground at New Haven) and can get spell scrolls extremely cheap or kill creatures for them.
*Tamers may have pets that they want to keep for sentimental reasons (as i was a member of the Europa Rangers Council i have pets that were trained for the pet tournaments that i just can't "get rid of"). Warriors may have a weapon that was given by a friend who left the game or something that they want to keep, but that is probably a very rare case. Mages...well, you don't get sentimental over spell scrolls...
*A tamers "weapon" will often ignore commands (even at 120 taming and lore my unicorn ignores commands a lot more than you'd think).
*Mages and warriors can instantly switch spells/weapons to suit the situation, while tamers have to go to a stable to exchange pets.

I know someone will jump all over this post to point out how i'm wrong, but tbh i've had enough of the tamer hate since i started UO that i just don't care anymore.

N

Nvnter

Actually you may be onto something....

What if each pet stabled on a home hitching post took up 125 spots (1 secure container)
Becareful what you ask for. There are always issues when the Devs play with housing and tying a Char to lockdowns = Nightmare (and not the horse)

F

Fink

:ten:

You have a terrific attitude.
Whilst terrific in the right circumstances it seems a little strange when we, the paying customers are grateful for whatever bone we're thrown.
I'm aware of the circumstances and the context and my comment still stands. Disagreeing with my viewpoint does little to undermine it; perhaps you mean to attack Kiminality directly?

Whatever happened to customer service and going the extra mile to give the customer what they want?
They just did that. They're offering 2 more slots than we had a week ago. Is this not enough? We got our extra mile, must we push for another?

Remember .. we pay them to play this game ... not the other way round. Whats wrong with asking for a little more content for our money?
What's wrong with saying, "Thank you", or perhaps, "We acknowledge you're terribly busy working on the expansion and the new client, trying desperately to ensure the longevity and commercial viability of the game for the future, but thank you for swiftly meeting a completely arbitrary demand that you could have easily postponed or ignored like so many before it"?

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's just such a shame that there are going to be a lot of wasted new tameables that the Dev's worked hard to design. Anyone that thinks that a GD, Dread Warhorse, Cu, and maybe a Hiryu are all they need on a Tamer definitely aren't going to use more than 1 or 2 other pets of the new ones if any at all. With only 2 stable slots added to maxxed out stabled Tamers we won't either.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 8 tamers with full stables are enormously grateful for 2 extra slots.

My 2 crafters are enormously grateful they'll no longer need to do Petra's stable shuffle in order to swap mounts.

All my chars are grateful they can now stable whatever critters their crazy, individual hearts desire (eg, one char has an imprisoned dog, another a pair of squirrels, one has just enough taming to handle an exceptionally well trained giant rat).

Love it, thanks Devs! :heart:

R

riohnyx

Have to agree here. While I'm grateful for the extra two slots, I do believe that more slots have been long overdue.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So ... which 2 SA tamables are you going to go for? And if more than 2, which pets (which you may have spent months searching for and months training) are you going to release?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They just did that. They're offering 2 more slots than we had a week ago. Is this not enough? We got our extra mile, must we push for another?
First off enough, extra mile etc are subjective to the individual. So the question of asking for more is rather rhetorical don't you think? Besides what better time than now to ask for more? People express an interest and someone on the UO Team changes the 2 to 20. Is that really a product delaying action?

What's wrong with saying, "Thank you", or perhaps, "We acknowledge you're terribly busy working on the expansion and the new client, trying desperately to ensure the longevity and commercial viability of the game for the future, but thank you for swiftly meeting a completely arbitrary demand that you could have easily postponed or ignored like so many before it"?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it and I believe there are several threads here that do just that .... and not to mention severl posts in this thread that do just that :)

BUT, if I throw out a number for you and you counter with a different number, should I say "Why you ungrateful Wench :) ?" or should we see if a compromise can be made.

Now me, personally, I suspect the 2 per character is probably getting the World Wide Stable System to the edge of its max limit. So I am not pushing for an increase in that system.

On the other hand if the Chicken Fight Promoters get a special recognition with the Chicken Lizard ... eggs ... hatchlings (producing better Battle Chickens(?), get a recognition that they can stable these pets OFFLINE to the World Wide Stable System, then why can't the Pack Instinct People ask for that same system? Why can't the Collectors ask for the same thing? Why can't the Gatherer's ask for the same thing?

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While i'm grateful for the 2 slots i'll be getting i do agree with others who say we need more for tamers. It's also funny how people keep comparing tamers to other classes when more stable slots would make no difference to the power of tamers.

But as people like to compare classes...

*Taming is without doubt the longest and most boring skill to train.
*Tamers need good armour just as much as warriors and mages so spend equal time and effort to get it (yes tamers do get hit sometimes, especially when taming and if they are tamer/warriors).
*Aswell as getting good armour tamers need to find pets with a combination of good arour and offensive skills/stats.
*Pets often need to be trained to make them effective, unlike weapons or spells.
*Pets take 1 stable slot each. Warriors can store thousands of weapons if they choose, and mages need 9 storage spaces (1 spellbook and 8 regs).
*Tamers need to find (very time consuming), tame (which is often dangerous) and train pets (very, very time consuming), while warriors can get their weapons made by crafters, and mages can get spellbooks for free (often found on the ground at New Haven) and can get spell scrolls extremely cheap or kill creatures for them.
*Tamers may have pets that they want to keep for sentimental reasons (as i was a member of the Europa Rangers Council i have pets that were trained for the pet tournaments that i just can't "get rid of"). Warriors may have a weapon that was given by a friend who left the game or something that they want to keep, but that is probably a very rare case. Mages...well, you don't get sentimental over spell scrolls...
*A tamers "weapon" will often ignore commands (even at 120 taming and lore my unicorn ignores commands a lot more than you'd think).
*Mages and warriors can instantly switch spells/weapons to suit the situation, while tamers have to go to a stable to exchange pets.

I know someone will jump all over this post to point out how i'm wrong, but tbh i've had enough of the tamer hate since i started UO that i just don't care anymore.
Awesome points. I wonder what would happen if Warriors got a "bonus" that they could add to a favorite weapon of 50% di that also upped the cap on di. Even if they got 3 for each 120 skill. Would people persieve it as a nerf or really a bonus?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pets often need to be trained to make them effective, unlike weapons or spells
Yes because sicking them on a shadow ele is extremely difficult. :coco:

I have not seen one thing that is a reasonable argument for extra slots. Skills and training isn't.

Awesome points. I wonder what would happen if Warriors got a "bonus" that they could add to a favorite weapon of 50% di that also upped the cap on di. Even if they got 3 for each 120 skill. Would people persieve it as a nerf or really a bonus?
I don't like this because they'd have to find a way to balance everything else.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many of the arguments I see against tamers having additional spots just seem to be lame "I don't like tamers" arguments. There is no basis in logic in these arguments. For instance, I have not heard a single argument by the anti-tamer crowd which explains how tamers having more stable slots adversely affects other play styles or makes tamers even more powerful than they are. The reality, additional stable slots just let tamers have more fun by having more pets to toy around with in game. What is so wrong with that? The tamers aren't asking to be able to control two greater dragons at once, you know. :coco:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no reason to give an argument against extra slots when no one can provide a feasible reason for more pet slots. In reality I'd like 100B in gold and a bunch of bows with every mod possible on them. I mean we're not asking to use two of them at once right? :dunce:

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not seen one thing that is a reasonable argument for extra slots. Skills and training isn't.
How about because the SA expansion gives us LOTS of new in game items. Tamables is one of these new items except to get the new tamables you have to give up your existing ones. This doesnt apply to any of the other in game items that are being made available. Surely that cannot be right?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about because the SA expansion gives us LOTS of new in game items. Tamables is one of these new items except to get the new tamables you have to give up your existing ones. This doesnt apply to any of the other in game items that are being made available. Surely that cannot be right?
I don't see why the game should be modified to fit specific wants. If they did increase the slots 2 more, it still wouldn't be enough to fit the amount of new tamables.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
CURRENT (this is what we have now)
All characters are allowed to store 2 pets with an npc stable master. The ability to store more is governed by the total combined skill points in animal taming, veterinary and animal lore
• 160 - 199.9 total skill - 3 stable slots
• 200 - 239 total skill - 4 stable slots
• 240+ - 5 stable slots
• add one slot for each skill at 100 skill (ie 100 tame /100 lore /100 vet = 8 slots)
• add one slot for each skill at 110 skill (ie 110 tame /110 lore /110 vet = 11 slots)
• add one slot for each skill at 120 skill (ie 120 tame /120 lore /120 vet = 14 slots)

POSSIBLE SOLUTION (give all power scrolls some slots)

All characters are allowed to store 4 pets with an npc stable master. The ability to store more is governed by the total combined skill points in animal taming, veterinary and animal lore
• 160 - 199.9 total skill - 5 stable slots
• 200 - 239 total skill - 6 stable slots
• 240+ - 7 stable slots
• add one slot for each skill at 100 skill (ie 100 tame /100 lore /100 vet = 10 slots)
• add one slot for each skill at 105 skill (ie 105 tame /105 lore /105 vet = 13 slots)
• add one slot for each skill at 110 skill (ie 110 tame /110 lore /110 vet = 16 slots)
• add one slot for each skill at 115 skill (ie 115 tame /115 lore /115 vet = 19 slots)
• add one slot for each skill at 120 skill (ie 120 tame /120 lore /120 vet = 22 slots)
Note: This gives a value to every power scroll. Without SA -2 to everything.

House Add-on Stable idea

This may be a good way to give extra stable slots to those that wish them, but at a cost. House add-on purchased from a Stable Master at a cost (5-10 Mil. each, very good gold sink). Each stable would get 125 pens when placed and take 126 lock downs from the house no matter how many pets are stored. The stabled pet would use up 5 pens per control slot. That would give you 25 pets total with 1 control slot or 5 Greater Dragons. Only the tamer placing the pet in the stable may get it out, no free pet transfers. Or allow others to take pet out at a cost of a pet transfer and when the pet hits max transfers then it must be stabled with a stable master. This way we don’t have unlimited pet transfers, but it does provide a way to give pets to our crafters. Pets transferred this way would have to meet the same requirements as a regular pet transfer. If you can not control it then you can not take it out.

There needs to be a limit to the number of stables a house can have, no matter its size. If we use the smallest house (7X7) with max lockdowns (684) that allows us to place 5 stables at a cost of 630 locks downs from the house (5 containers + 625 lockdowns). So with Possible Solution from above and House Add-on idea, that could give a max of 147 (125+ 22) pets for a scrolled out tamer. Or maybe making this add-on take double lockdowns, which would limit it to 2 per house. That is still a good increase of pets, 50 pets per house (max) + 22 = 72 pets.

If that is not enough pets then people are being way to greedy.

W

Wolfways

Yes because sicking them on a shadow ele is extremely difficult.
Where did i say it was difficult? It is very boring though. I'm sure if i decided that i wanted my warrior to use a different weapon i wouldn't want to spend days hitting one thing just so that the weapon was effective.

W

Wolfways

There is no reason to give an argument against extra slots when no one can provide a feasible reason for more pet slots. In reality I'd like 100B in gold and a bunch of bows with every mod possible on them. I mean we're not asking to use two of them at once right? :dunce:
We're not asking for pets with the best stats/skills. We're asking for more variety.
You can already have as many different bows as you want...why can't tamers have more pets?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where did i say it was difficult? It is very boring though. I'm sure if i decided that i wanted my warrior to use a different weapon i wouldn't want to spend days hitting one thing just so that the weapon was effective.
You do switching from macing, swords, fencing etc. However the increase in skills from a pet should take more time. Especially with a greater dragon.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We're not asking for pets with the best stats/skills. We're asking for more variety.
You can already have as many different bows as you want...why can't tamers have more pets?
None of my bows give me extra skill.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes down to it, there is nothing you can do with 7 slots that can't already be done with 5.

U

UOKaiser

None of my bows give me extra skill.
Remmember this is only about storage not skills that helps out every template in the game not just tamers. My sampire has a lesser hyru and a swampie is it hard to ask that I can't get a ferret, bonded beattle, a golem, a group of packies bonded for me so i can loot when idoc hunting, And new tamebles for 0 taming that I can get? Without me having to play stable swapping all day?
It's not like I can use everything at the same time. I can use it in different circumstances.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But you can have as many as you want, right? We are not talking about the type or quality of the bow/pet ... just how many you are able to own.

To have a balance in game, it certainly is about quality. You are already able to own any animal you'd like. I can have any amount of any other items in game, how is that a justification for you to own more pets?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes down to it, there is nothing you can do with 7 slots that can't already be done with 5.
Technically speaking, archers don't need the reduce weight benefit that quivers give them. I mean, you can always recall back home and get more arrows, right? So let's remove the weight reduction benefit of quivers.

That's pretty similar to your anti-stable slot argument there.

Tamers want something that will add to their fun and convenience in-game. You argue against it. Archers, meanwhile, got a benefit from an item that allows them to play more conveniently.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So ... which 2 SA tamables are you going to go for? And if more than 2, which pets (which you may have spent months searching for and months training) are you going to release?
Probably a spare mare or three, or a white wyrm or four, or a dragon or two, or I could sell of some of the dread mares stuffing my stables, or gawd knows I have far more cu sidhes than anyone could possibly ride at any one time.

How about you?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Technically speaking, archers don't need the reduce weight benefit that quivers give them. I mean, you can always recall back home and get more arrows, right? So let's remove the weight reduction benefit of quivers.
I dont need the reduced weight benefit. I carry several quivers.

That's pretty similar to your anti-stable slot argument there.
I'd agree, they could remove it and I'd be ok with it.

Tamers want something that will add to their fun and convenience in-game. You argue against it. Archers, meanwhile, got a benefit from an item that allows them to play more conveniently.
When an item gives me the equivalent skill of an animal, or the carrying capacity, I'll agree.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kiminality gave a good reason of why not more stabling slots.I give another one or just phrase his opinion in different words,depends on how you like to read it.
First, UO is a game. Games are always about choices to be made, UO is not different here.From what ive seen on europe,most of the people are NOT able to get what they want.Most warriors got not the gold to buy what weapon and gear they want,also most mages.They are limited and have to make a choice. Same for mages. Really good spellbooks do NOT lie on the ground in New Haven. They are rare and costly,not for sale.
Every player has limits on hci,dci,sdi,di,ssi,lmc,fc,fcr ... you get the idea.You cant have everything,otherwise balancing a game would be impossible.A Tamer is really the cheapest (in terms of gold,not time) to build figthing template in game.So there MUST be some drawbacks to not open an endless amount of loopholes to exploit.Lets say 10 tamers with 10 packs of frenzied ostards.A Tamer needs to be limited in the variety of pets he can lead into battle.There is no template that can adapt to every possible situation,every one has its weakness somewhere.And HAS to have it.
To be honest,most of the tamers on europe just do it to get a greater dragon.Nothing against the people,most i have met are very very friendly.
Sorry for the role playing tamers or the people who just love to train up animals,but i think its a needed game mechanic.Perhaps get some real pets to compensate for the loss.
Or EA shows mercy and introduces some otherwise useless skill like Stablemaster that allows to have some more pets.The role players could be happy with this,all others would need to make a decision.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably a spare mare or three, or a white wyrm or four, or a dragon or two, or I could sell of some of the dread mares stuffing my stables, or gawd knows I have far more cu sidhes than anyone could possible ride at any one time.
Point and case?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmember this is only about storage not skills that helps out every template in the game not just tamers. My sampire has a lesser hyru and a swampie is it hard to ask that I can't get a ferret, bonded beattle, a golem, a group of packies bonded for me so i can loot when idoc hunting, And new tamebles for 0 taming that I can get? Without me having to play stable swapping all day?
It's not like I can use everything at the same time. I can use it in different circumstances.

Isn't that what other characters are for?

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably a spare mare or three, or a white wyrm or four, or a dragon or two, or I could sell of some of the dread mares stuffing my stables, or gawd knows I have far more cu sidhes than anyone could possible ride at any one time.
Point and case?
Please do not confuse stable slots with control slots. Please?

U

UOKaiser

Isn't that what other characters are for?
Nope other characters have there own animals including my collection of bunnys. I really don't see what anybody could have against this. I though everyone wanted tamers to start using other creatures? I'ts only storage thats it.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope other characters have there own animals including my collection of bunnys. I really don't see what anybody could have against this. I though everyone wanted tamers to start using other creatures? I'ts only storage thats it.

It isn't? So tamers should be able to accomplish everything in one character that the rest of us do in several? That isn't much of a balance.

Collection of bunnies???

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
STOP STOP STOP

You are going to get this thread locked or moved. I have scrolled out Warriors (3), Crafters (4), a Mage and a Tamer + other chars, I do not use all my stable slots and I have more than 1 suit and weapons for all of my chars. But there are some tamers that like to collect different colors and types of pets and SA is coming out with new pets. Will I use more stable slots with SA? Yes to test out the new pets and see if I want any of them. Will I use up all my slots? Prob not.

1 suit does not fit all.
1 weapon does not fit all.
1 pet does not fit all.

People like to try different things or collect different things. I have a keep full of things I have collected and am starting to fill up 2 more keeps. That is my choice and the way I like to play UO. This is not a Tamer / Warrior fight. This is people asking for some improvements that will make thier way of playing UO more enjoyable to them. Yes we have more space to put all our stuff at a cost of buying bigger houses and opening up more accounts. I really do not see any reason why more stable slots are that big of a deal. Tamers can only have out max 5 low level or 1 high level at a time and we must go to a stable to change. Warriors can if they want to take more equipment with them and change out in the field to suit thier playstyle. Depending on what I am fighting I may have more than 1 wep and suit in my pack. My tamer has and all 70 + lrc suit with mods to travel with and carries a 1600 luck suit for when I arrive at the spot I am going to hunt. But if I want to change my perfered weapon (ie pet), I have to return to a stable. This does not give tamers any overpowering ability, in fact if could be a dissadvantage because if I am out with one pet and I need my GD to save my A$$, then I AM SOL. Warrior can change weps to suit thier need at the push of a macro.

Bottom line is having more pets does not make me stronger in the field because I am limited with the pet I have with me, where a Warrior can change in the field if he brought more than 1 wep.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
STOP STOP STOP

You are going to get this thread locked or moved.
?? There is no violation of roc. ???

Because I disagree the thread will be locked?

This is people asking for some improvements that will make thier way of playing UO more enjoyable to them
In that case I ask EA give me 100B gold because this would make the game more enjoyable for me.

Bottom line is having more pets does not make me stronger in the field because I am limited with the pet I have with me, where a Warrior can change in the field if he brought more than 1 wep.
So what repercussion would there be to be a tamer? Where is the balance?

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I believe Stable Slots always had caps. Originally Tamers had no CONTROL caps, so we could tame and control as many as we wished. But they wouldnt bond nor could we stable them all. Moreover, I mentioned the control caps in my post tho you didnt bother to quote that.

Please get your facts straight before running your mouth...er, fingers off with CAPS.
Actually You are the one that doesn't have his facts straight!

I remember on my first tamer having 35 dragons in the stable! I was trying to see if there was a limit, but got tired of that game so I stopped. I never took more than 5 out at a time (usually only 2 or 3), because that large a group was so difficult to control.

That being said I'm just glad they're giving us any extra slots, oh I'd like even more just like MOST tamers. I have many pets stored that makes little actual sense, but fits me. I have 2 Ice Worms because I still remember when I tamed them and they mean a lot to me. I have the first Dragon I ever tamed, not worth much now but I like him. I have a Reptillion even tho he's not a very good pet. I have one firesteed (got rid of my second to make room for a greater Dragon). I have many pets like these that I hardely ever take out of the stables, but I like having them there.

It's time to start weeding out some of these old friends so that I can try some fun things, like a pack of (fill in the blank) as well as the new tammables coming. So I won't complain about only getting two more slots, but I'd sure like to get more, so that I could avoid loosing these old friends.

Whatever happens I'm looking forward to the new expansion, very happy that I can play it in 2D. I'm just way to set in my ways to learn a new game easily. I'll keep trying the new client and hopefully get used to it some day, but right now it just seems to me to be too much of a new game. ;)

T

TheGrayGhost

Yes I agree more stable slots for tamers would be great. As for those arguing against extra stable slots for tamers....... the absolute only argument that can be used is stress on the server and I would assume the point of these threads asking for extra stable slots is 1) Stating there is a desire for them and 2) Discussing ways they could be added that the Devs might consider.

As for why people want them,

You don't think that the person that gave or sold you that swamp dragon, giant beetle, or Hyriu may have a desire more stable slots? Should tamers simply stop keeping and training pets to sale to others because they may want personal pets for those stable slots? Guess people can start getting there own colored Cu's and taming there own GD's huh? These are just some baseline reasons extra stable slots could be needed for some. Ones that effect non tamers and tamers that say "Oh I only have a GDragon, Dread and a Cu" (Mostly those tamers bought the pets from someone else, not saying thats always the case but from what I've seen it generally is).

Next on to the tamers themselves. Why do they have so many pets? A simple answer is that each pet is situational with the exception of maybe the Gdragon and Dread which aren't pets I overly enjoy using.

Lets tally

Frenzy Ostards, man these guys can pump out some dmg in a pact. 5 of them can wreck most things fairly easy. They die fast so not the best against something with high AoE dmg. There a bit of work but so worth it.

Frenzy = 5 which leaves 9 slots.

Mare and Beetle, this is a nice duo. Both have magic, beetle has high poison and some decent resists. I wouldn't use the beetle against something that is highly resistant to poison.

Mare + Beetle = 2 which leaves 7 slots.

Giant Beetle, seriously everyone needs one oO. Little buggers can carry a ton!

Giant Beetle = 6

Scorpions or Deathwatch Beetles or Giant Ice Serpents= These guys can be nice in PvP, train em and watch them poison your foe repeatedly oO. These can be awsome in some PvP situations.

4 of any = 4 which leaves 2

Dragons, WW's aren't as useful as they once were but are still nice to have. Dragons have firebreath and Magery + High Fire resist and allow you to have a Mare with them. WW's are nice as well I mean they can have up to 70 Phys resist and 90 Cold resist, No fire breath but definetly have some places they can be useful.

Dragon and WW = 2 and I'm out of slots oO. But wait theres more!!!!!

Raptors have pact instincts, not as much dmg output as Frenzy's but more hp and def so can live longer.

+2 slots

Skree's, Sleep spam 4 slot magery user. Sleep spam, I will repeat it..... Sleep Spam. + 1 slot

Oh Crud I didn't even get to GDrags and Dreads, +2 More.

Wait Cu's are nice little tanks with the self healing and can be decent when dealing with things such as Crimson Dragons where Dragons could be made to go wild (At least I thought Crimson Dragons could make Dragons go wild).

In any case another +1..........

Where I am going, What I am doing and who I am with pretty much determines which pet/pets I need to use. Limiting how many pets I can have in the stables limits the amount of things I can take part in. Skilling up another tamer may sound like a viable option for some but, I can't see myself doing it all over yet again. Taming is pretty much the only skill left in the game that takes a great deal of time to skillup. I admit there are others, but come on.......Taming wins hands down for most annoying to skillup. That is I believe until Imbuing goes live lol.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kiminality gave a good reason of why not more stabling slots.I give another one or just phrase his opinion in different words,depends on how you like to read it.
First, UO is a game. Games are always about choices to be made, UO is not different here.From what ive seen on europe,most of the people are NOT able to get what they want.Most warriors got not the gold to buy what weapon and gear they want,also most mages.They are limited and have to make a choice. Same for mages. Really good spellbooks do NOT lie on the ground in New Haven. They are rare and costly,not for sale.
Every player has limits on hci,dci,sdi,di,ssi,lmc,fc,fcr ... you get the idea.You cant have everything,otherwise balancing a game would be impossible.A Tamer is really the cheapest (in terms of gold,not time) to build figthing template in game.So there MUST be some drawbacks to not open an endless amount of loopholes to exploit.Lets say 10 tamers with 10 packs of frenzied ostards.A Tamer needs to be limited in the variety of pets he can lead into battle.There is no template that can adapt to every possible situation,every one has its weakness somewhere.And HAS to have it.
To be honest,most of the tamers on europe just do it to get a greater dragon.Nothing against the people,most i have met are very very friendly.
Sorry for the role playing tamers or the people who just love to train up animals,but i think its a needed game mechanic.Perhaps get some real pets to compensate for the loss.
Or EA shows mercy and introduces some otherwise useless skill like Stablemaster that allows to have some more pets.The role players could be happy with this,all others would need to make a decision.
I respect an argument like this. It is more thought out than some of the other arguments I've seen here. I do see one flaw, however. When you say a mage has to make a choice because they don't have the gold, this doesn't sound like a game limitation of the mage class. It sounds like a player skill limitation. This is akin to a tamer who doesn't have power scrolls to be able to tame and control some of the higher end pets.

In time, the mage or fighter who doesn't have the gold can earn it to buy the items they want. So they aren't really limited as you argue. Now they might be limited in what they can fight compared to a tamer, but that is a game balance issue that has nothing to do with stable slots.

Additional stable slots are like archers getting quivers that reduce arrow weight. This allows the archers to hunt for longer and carry more. It is a convenience that allows them to have more fun. Additional stable slots wouldn't add to a tamer's power, it would just be a convenience that will allow more fun.

More stable slots would allow tamers to have uniquely colored pets, which is pretty much similar to players who enjoy Tokuno Dyed items. Yes, the tamer doesn't need that Blaze Cu, but they enjoy the look just like players don't really need blaze colored tokuno dyes but it adds to those players enjoyment.

Finally, more stable slots would allow players to keep sentimental pets which fought long and hard with them through the ages, but have since fallen out of favor as the newer pets are introduced. Is this any different than old timers who keep their old school ranger armor around for sentimental reasons?

N

northwoodschopper

i'm sure the devs could whip up an "extra stable slots" option on uocodes, like 10 extra slots for 9 bucks or something like that.

U

UOKaiser

It isn't? So tamers should be able to accomplish everything in one character that the rest of us do in several? That isn't much of a balance.

Collection of bunnies???
They have other characters as well. Tamers now are limited to only using the most powerful pets even though they could use pack animals which deal as much damage more so than any of the high end pets just weak defensively unfortunetly they don't have room for such things so many haven't even experienced such command and tactics which is sad.

My sampire could pretty much handle any situation because I have the right weapon if I need another I just make it or go into my storage or bring it with me. Same goes for my mage plenty of spellbooks for ever situation. Bard plenty pf slayer instruments. Tamers are limited in that type of choice.
Either way I just don't see balance issues or any thing effecting a change except for more enjoyment from tamers and regular players alike, as well as the pet selling market increasing.

Ya bunnys a long time ago my girlfriend saw a vorpal bunny and said she wanted it I said it's impossible. But eventualy I got her regular bunny,jack rabits the purple and pink bunnies but in the mean time she wanted other woodland creatures to run around with so I tamed them for her. Once in a while she comes over and plays on my account with the bunnys and other animals she named them and ask me how they doing? I don't know whatever makes her happy.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that case I ask EA give me 100B gold because this would make the game more enjoyable for me.
Berethrain, I don't put any stock in your arguments because they are all flawed. The tamers aren't asking to be given a token that would give them a max trained/max stat greater dragon. They are asking for the ability to attain additional pets. Now if you asked EA to implement the ability to possess 100B gold (I don't know if it's possible with lockdown limitations and what not), then that would be more similar to what tamers are asking for. You use an example which doesn't prove anything.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have other characters as well. Tamers now are limited to only using the most powerful pets even though they could use pack animals which deal as much damage more so than any of the high end pets just weak defensively unfortunetly they don't have room for such things so many haven't even experienced such command and tactics which is sad.
Pack animals take up 1 slot, let alone I've seen only 1 person actually use them versus a greater drag. Even if they increased slots I highly doubt anyone would use them then either. But I dont get why you'd go into a situation with the wrong animal?

Ever try taming the fire bunny? If you can?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
?? There is no violation of roc. ???

Because I disagree the thread will be locked?

So what repercussion would there be to be a tamer? Where is the balance?
I like it when you pick out part of something and do not respond to the whole part. You want balance the you may only have 1 of everything for all of your chars. Your wep better be UBW and your suit better me mage so all your chars. can use them and I will just keep my GD.

We are talking out in the field game play not sitting in luna where we can get to everything. You can carry more than 1 wep to suit your need but we will still be limited to the number of pets we can have with us no matter how many we have in our stable.