• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do You Want A Classic Shard??

Do you want a Classic UO shard?

• Total voters
M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

LOL, it was an exploit. It required like 30 blocked npcs out of town and you in... [Remember back then magic didnt damage you inside town limits]
Oh, that one...yeah, that was gray area!

I thought you meant the Jhelom Fighting Pit one.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make whatever shard type you want---the current version, SP, a classic shard of any era/type. Whatever type you can dream of....

If EA is running it, the shard will suck. :wall:

Either from **** poor management/customer service or a complete lack of in-game maintenance (cheats, bugs, etc)

Show me a shard where speedhackers, dupers, scripters, unattended resource bots/gold farmers and hackers don't dominate the game. Where the staff makes frequent updates, quickly squashes game breaking bugs/exploits and has fun, fair, and engaging things to do with your game time.

That's a shard I would be interested in playing.

M

Mattitracks

Well, you could always drop some acid and maybe... Just maybe!!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...it was a lot more challenging and fun than killing "mobs" (and when the hell did UOers start using that EQ term anyway?)
When the folks that played EQ got bored and came back to UO :D

If people can use Avatar elsewhere, we can use mobs. Besides there's a select "mobile" macro now, so it's sorta official.

For the players out there that never experienced pre - UO:R, it was something truly unique...whereas now, UO is that copy-cat old MMO with the bad graphics that no one plays.

At least that is what your average WoWer thinks.

A classic shard would give us something to make UO unique again...even if only a few people played on it.
This part is not addressed to Morgana, I'm just quoting this part to focus my thoughts.

I fully support a classic shard. But not for nostalgia reasons. Now, I am as nostalgic as anyone else and remember many aspects of the game.

I remember both the good times and the bad (if you search my posts, you'll see that I mention both he good and the bad). I feel that most of the expansions were great, evolving and improving the game world. Honestly, I think AOS was a needed and wonderful step forward, esp with it's introduction of a comprehensive list of magic properties.

AOS was released after Diablo2, and during the time I played D2, I kept thinking to myself, "Damn, this magic property system would be so sweet in UO". Apparently, the good folks in Origin/EA thought so too.

So why do I still support a classic shard if I think things are much better now?

Primarily - variety with minimal effort. I think it's a wonderful idea to have an extra option for people that prefers the old days. Just like it's a wonderful idea to have an Abyss shard (the original one where you play as monsters like Daemons and Dragons). Minimal effort does not mean no effort, it's still quite a task as I'd said previously, but alot of it can be done by "turning off" parts of it (ish, malas, trammel etc).

Variety to bring back lost customers. There really are people playing on private UO servers that are willing to pay subscription to guarantee the server doesn't get shut down, get regular fixes, no server full message and to get proper service. So these are not simply players looking for a free game.

To be realistic, whether such a shard is feasible depends on how many players it can attract. Looking at certain low popluation shards, the folks at EA may be wary of devoting resources into a venture that will increase costs but do not bring in enough revenue to cover the costs.

It's a business after all, so it's understandable if this shard is not cost feasible. But at least give it consideration. A poll like this is a great way to get an initial feel of things, though I was hoping for a couple of option more to better gauge which classic era people are looking for and better manage their expectations.

A prototype test centre shard should hopefully provide better numbers for a feasibility study.

D

Der Rock

It also created an actual community in and around the towns themselves.
Yes, 90% of players in towns,because they couldn´t play the game they paid for
and 10% of player around the towns,player who thought theire behavior would have something to do with PvP. LOL

Certainly, we killed each other.
Why don´t you do it ?why is siege dead, why is fell dead?
why must the dev´s every couple of years start a pvp-revitalization program
at the cost of the 99% pvm player?

UO with risk is more fun than you think, because it was easy to replace your items. We didn't run around with neon colored gloves that cost 35,000,000 and a bright green sword that looks like something out of a cereal box that costs 90,000,000. That is not UO. At least it wasn't.
running to the bank 10 times an houre was fun ??? for whom
uo was NOT item based? then why did people always dry loot the victims??
why buy people melisandes golden hairdye for 10m gold??
what should people do with all the gold??
replacing items? sure, but more like upgrading things, and NOT restocking from scratch
it is FACT that people like their items(10millionWoW player show it everyday)

it is a shame that the uo-devs think they have to care more about the antisocial behavior in uo then what the mainstream like in the mmo world

WHY is WoW such successful?
because blizzard eliminate to 99,99% the antisocial behavior in the game

ok, i would accept a "classic-shard" IF
1.player on the classic shard could NOT play other shards (except siege)
2.if classic shard player wish to play other shards they HAVE to delete the avatars on the classic shard first
3. implement pvp ONLY per guild/party and faction war on all other shards(except siege)

L

Lord Patapon

Hey Der Rock, are you always using fallacious arguments, huge exagerations and such to have a point ? This is tiring, really.

I don't get your point, either, with that anti social thing you've been talking about.
How old UO was anti social ? You either made friends, or you died. This is NOT antisocial, it's quite the opposite actually.
You speak of WoW, and I don't really understand why, but, you really consider this game a real social game ? Impressive.
The only reason you make friends there is not protecting yourself, it's just to have a bunch of players to get in dungeons with you, so you can make the same fu***** dungeon 15 times to have a pair of +42 boots in Ass-kicking.

So ... UO, anti social ? Nope.
Oh, and being dry looted doesn't mean the game is item oriented.
This is the most ridiculous argument I've seen on the thread. Have you actually have a little thinking before posting that ? And Im not going to explain because you, sir, are a troll. (and a bad one, at that)

And this :
2.if classic shard player wish to play other shards they HAVE to delete the avatars on the classic shard first
3. implement pvp ONLY per guild/party and faction war on all other shards(except siege)
came from absolutely nowhere.
Why ? Please explain, because, apart from saying "boo hoo they're anti social" (weird thing, as explained higher) the only reason to even propose this is just to hit the Classic lovers.

So ... playing Classic, and couldn't play Europa, my home shard again ?
Are you trolling again ? Yes. You are.

D

Der Rock

Hey Der Rock, are you always using fallacious arguments, huge exagerations and such to have a point ? This is tiring, really.
works bothway,99% of the player like todays uo more then the old style
but 1% try to suggest a demand of the stoneage

I don't get your point, either, with that anti social thing you've been talking about.
How old UO was anti social ? You either made friends, or you died. This is NOT antisocial, it's quite the opposite actually.
You speak of WoW, and I don't really understand why, but, you really consider this game a real social game ? Impressive.
The only reason you make friends there is not protecting yourself, it's just to have a bunch of players to get in dungeons with you, so you can make the same fu***** dungeon 15 times to have a pair of +42 boots in Ass-kicking.
what u call "same f.... dungeon 15 times", call 10 000 000+ poeple FUN in the leisure time

what is the difference between 15 times in the same dungeon, or killing 15 times the SAME player, makes this fun? for whom?
do u think the uo player who got killed 15 times in a row and restock from scratch 15 times have a fun time ?

neither trammel nore aos or whatever was the death of uo population
the antisocial,criminal behavior was it

So ... UO, anti social ? Nope.
Oh, and being dry looted doesn't mean the game is item oriented.
This is the most ridiculous argument I've seen on the thread. Have you actually have a little thinking before posting that ? And Im not going to explain because you, sir, are a troll. (and a bad one, at that)
i saw many people quit uo because of those antisocial- crime- gang behavior
(my son include, and he plays now WoW,and is top in WoW dungeon raids AND WoW pvp)

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the players who enjoy that ruleset and risk myself included have all quit for the most part the 1% are the diehards who still have some hope.

what u call "same f.... dungeon 15 times", call 10 000 000+ poeple FUN in the leisure time

what is the difference between 15 times in the same dungeon, or killing 15 times the SAME player, makes this fun? for whom?
do u think the uo player who got killed 15 times in a row and restock from scratch 15 times have a fun time ?
No its the players greed to come back to his/her body 15x and are to dense to realize all their stuff is gone already, and too dense to learn how to defend themselves.

neither trammel nore aos or whatever was the death of uo population
the antisocial,criminal behavior was it
Yes tram and AOS has hurt the game. I dont know what server your on and dont really care but on pacific its turning into a ghost town cant be the old system or "antisocial,criminal behavior" driving peeps away now can it? cant blame our playstyle/ rule preference this time.

I guess im fortunate as a few thousand others that we can play the ruleset we love thats cheat/bug free and not have to pay EA a single dime. Why is that? could it be the people like you scared of risk, holding back the game from offering more to its players?

L

Lord Patapon

i saw many people quit uo because of those antisocial- crime- gang behavior
(my son include, and he plays now WoW,and is top in WoW dungeon raids AND WoW pvp)
I know, mate.
You have to accept it when you play Fel.

So, yeah, basically, I have "Trammel" friends who didn't like PvP, and who did or were about to quit at one point because of that, in the old times.
Making Trammel wasn't a bad thing, because a lot of players wanted to play UO with a non-consensual pvp.
It's a fact. They don't like this kind of game ? Sure, they have the right to like whatever they want, I'm not saying anything against that, but NO, it's not because 11 mils+ plays WoW that Im going to find it fun.
It's not. For a LOT of reasons that Im not about to bring here, because it's not the subject; you just gotta see the impopularity WoW has on some boards, because, well, the point is basicaly that some wants a dangerous, riskful world to play in, and some others don't want to be killed or lose their stuff because of the other players.

All in all, some players first need are freedom in their game, even if it is to suffer from it (Im one of those, and I can tell you that I suck at PvP... curious ? no.), and some other refuse to suffer in a game.
So, please explain why the first players are "demanding things from the stoneage" and the latter are those who've known an evolution ?

It's not because the MMORPG market has extended to offer more and more riskless worlds that it's necessarily a good thing.
I don't think Darkfall is that good, but the hype for it clearly shows that PvP is part of the player's demand, whether you like it or not.

Oh, Trammel wasn't the death of UO, speaking in subscriptions terms; in fact, Trammel brought more and more players, reaching the point of 250k subscribers.
However, you just can't possibly say that AoS was successful, because the subscriptions started to drop from there, and a lot of players I know left, directly or indirectly, because of it.

I don't understand why you seem to be fighting tooth and nail against a Classic shard idea, because, objectively, even if it can cause a bit of brainstorming for the Devs, it's nothing much, really, and it would be pretty logical.
Plus, Mythic have experience with that, and on DAoC, the Classic was a success (because it was well thought.

PS: killing 15 times a player can be 15 adventures. Playing against a human player is, for a part of the players, much more fun than doing multiple times a scripted dungeon which is, basicaly, the same every single time. (even if it can be a challenge, I don't deny it for those who like that ... I do, very occasionaly, but I prefer other things. Am I dumb ?)

Oops, tis a long post.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, Trammel wasn't the death of UO, speaking in subscriptions terms; in fact, Trammel brought more and more players, reaching the point of 250k subscribers.
Trammel was a good idea but how it was put into the game wasnt. It should have been its own shard and even with it up untill aos Factions, Chaos/order,Guildwars were thriving. AOS killed the balance of the game. If it were not for the AOS code I think this game would be almost completely balanced and bug free. Thats why I suggested that if they make a felucia based classic shard they make a tram version also. My idea is like this:

-Rule set either just felucia based or tram based.
-UO:R combat,item,skill code
-Skills capped @ 100 up to 7x, stats capped at 100 for a total of 225
-No slayer weapons
-Custom Housing With UO:R House rules 14 day refresh, texas law (fel based only), house keys.
-Bods
-No stat boosting Items only pots, and spells can bring ya over your cap.
-Champ Spawns In t2a only and only drop corpse loot and gold.
-no other land masses except Britannia and the lost lands (tho ish and tok wouldnt be bad under Classic rules malas just suks)
-Mounts, but cant engage in combat mounted and if attacked you dismount (pvp only)
-Stat loss for reds
-Factions, Chaos/order
-Anyother cool feature we have in UO that is not unbalancing to combat or can hurt the economy.
-no Xfers

T

Turdnugget

No slayer weapons?
Bods?
Factions?
Lost lands, ok, but no Ilsh/Tok. Don't need to spread the land mass any further.
Stat loss for reds ONLY outside of Dungeons, the way it used to be(at least that's what I remember)

I don't agree that there shouldn't be slayer weapons. That's how dexers made money back in the day.

Bods, no thank you. What good would bods do if you can only make GM items?

O/C over Factions any day.

Der Rock,

From this poll, which isn't as accurate as it could/should be, it looks as if our 1% is winning...interesting. Seems that a little more than 1% of UO's players today would like a classic shard.

D

Der Rock

No slayer weapons?
From this poll, which isn't as accurate as it could/should be, it looks as if our 1% is winning...interesting. Seems that a little more than 1% of UO's players today would like a classic shard.
you realy belief uo has today around 206 player and 46,6% (96) voted yes
is that what you realy think ? :)

L

LIL DON

It may not bring in 'new' players but i'm sure it would bring back old players.
I'm not saying ALL of the NO voters are trammies... but the majority look that way from previous posts.
I am by the stratics definition a Trammie (I play mostly in Trammel) but it wasnt always that way. I did not start playing UO till just before UOR was released but even then i spent most of my time on fel then moved to Seige when it opened. I play mostly Tram now because I dont enjoy playing in Fel due to the medic, dismount all kill scripters, and stealth archers hiding till you are low health to jump out and repeted Armor ignore create food or whatever it is the people are doing these days. I would indeed play a pre UOR Shard until it became over ran by the hacks and scripts that ruined Fel for me. It didnt hurt so much when you lost a GM set of leather armor as it does now to lose it to Orni to a scripter who has the latest script to uninsure other players items. I think this is a pipedream but i would play it and i know for a fact 5 or more friends would reopen 2-3 accounts apiece if this did happen. OMG A TRAMMIE VOTED YES.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow you know everything eh? why dont you design a game then ****.
He's stating facts whether you like it or not. The Devs have said this can't be done.

Geez. And how do you get from stating facts to designing a game? Where do you get that connection? It's like someone saying the sky is blue and you telling them to go build a doppler radar.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As they say in Zimbabwe as 20 voters stuff thousands of votes in the ballot box, "Vote early and vote often". This vote is about as scientific as "Kal Ort Por!"

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

From the sound of this, it seems like you want to be in charge over at EA.

Good luck with that.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

2 things...

1 - The results for the poll do not back up your assertion.

2 - If you are so concerned with so-called "anti-social" behavior...just don't play the Classic Shard if one happens. There is a whole menu full of other shards where you can bank sit and kill NPC creatures and be as safe as a bug in a rug. You can have all the neon colored "uber" items you want. No one is suggesting taking that away from you. Why is this aspect of this discussion so hard for some people to understand.

This is not a discussion about changing anything on current shards.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Lord British's Revenge was Trammel.
It was Ultima Online Renaissance (UO:R)

Ultima Online: Renaissance (April 3, 2000) doubled the size of the world, as there were literally two copies of it. The worlds were called Felucca and Trammel, after the two moons in Ultima's Britannia world. The Trammel world did not allow player killing and was geared towards fighting monsters. Felucca also adopted a darker, more foreboding look and kept it's player vs player roots. Subscription was at its height during this period[citation needed].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online

LBR just added those silly Todd McFarlane creatures.

Ultima Online: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge (February 24, 2002) brought "a dark new world based on new characters from Todd McFarlane" to Ultima Online with improved game artificial intelligence, in-game help, and improved character creation.
There was Third Dawn, which came between the two that introduced Ilsh and the 3D client.

V

Vyal

I am going to tell whoever made this thread this since it seems you are looking but have not found an answer, I read the last post and two pages down not one good answer for you.

Listen there are these things ROFL.
They are called shards BUT! You don't get mugged for 14 bucks every month to play on them. YES there is hundreds of these shards and if you want a PvP shard with hundreds of people playing it Google it, if you want a classic shard with hundreds of people playing it Google it.

I know I don't play OSI shards anymore but i'm trying to help you people out. Your paying for something that people bytch about on these forums daily becuase the devs don't do this or do that or fix bugs and you know what? THEY DONT!

BUT you have the option to not take it from behind every month from EA and their crew of dribbling morons. Just cancel your account leave those shards and play on a free one.

DOH!

M

Mattitracks

You know you're right. A classic shard should only be created if a fascist set of laws is put in place.

What the hell is wrong with you? "I would accept" - as if your stamp of approval is needed!? What a farce.... If they ever [and I doubt they ever would] did create a shard such as this, than guess what? You would have no choice but to accept it, or quit in protest. The latter option would likely do the whole of the community a service.

Also to those who say "It can't be done because the dev team stated so". If you were to ask me to do something I didn't want to do because of a bit of extra work, well I would more than likely reply just the same way. I believe it can be done, and a lot easier than you have been lead to believe. It doesn't have to be perfect, we don't need all the old gumps, or any of that rubish... We just want the ruleset. Doesn't sound so tough, and if it is?!?!? So what, jump to it... People are willing to pay 13 bucks a month [Isn't that what it cost now?] for this service, plenty of them... Seems worth the effort to attempt to revitalize a slowly dieing game.

So has anyone here ever seen an ******* wrapped in plastic?
Ugh......

V

Vyal

IT CANT BE DONE NOOB! WHAT DID EA SAY!

IT CAN NOT BE DONE!

THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO UNDERTAKE SUCH A IMMENSE TASK!

If you want to pay some moron to sit around and pretend like they are actually doing ANY SORT of work for you THE SUBSCRIBER be my guest.

It's fun to laugh at you guys, so pathetic.

M

Mattitracks

I am going to tell whoever made this thread this since it seems you are looking but have not found an answer, I read the last post and two pages down not one good answer for you.

Listen there are these things ROFL.
They are called shards BUT! You don't get mugged for 14 bucks every month to play on them. YES there is hundreds of these shards and if you want a PvP shard with hundreds of people playing it Google it, if you want a classic shard with hundreds of people playing it Google it.

I know I don't play OSI shards anymore but i'm trying to help you people out. Your paying for something that people bytch about on these forums daily becuase the devs don't do this or do that or fix bugs and you know what? THEY DONT!

BUT you have the option to not take it from behind every month from EA and their crew of dribbling morons. Just cancel your account leave those shards and play on a free one.

DOH!
I for one don't play private setups because personal politics come into play on EVERY SINGLE ONE I've kept track of. I'm in no mood to deal with that nor the fact you never know who is going to be running it from one day to the next. And without paid staff you lose a lot of accountability. Besides the largest of which, can you not buy a char skilled up and loaded with gold and home? Yeah..... No thanks man.

V

Vyal

Well keep your a$$ stuck out there for EA to do you know what to it while you take it crying about a classic shard.

Dummy you get more from player run shards in a month then EA will offer UO in the next 11 years.

M

Mattitracks

IT CANT BE DONE NOOB! WHAT DID EA SAY!

IT CAN NOT BE DONE!

THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO UNDERTAKE SUCH A IMMENSE TASK!

If you want to pay some moron to sit around and pretend like they are actually doing ANY SORT of work for you THE SUBSCRIBER be my guest.

It's fun to laugh at you guys, so pathetic.
Sir, you have no right to say someone is pathetic. Your replies show your process of thought is quite lacking. Besides I really don't want to get drawn into a series of empty flames, but if you want to take such a route..... Go ahead, respond with another one of your Imaginative and original comments.
Really who is pathetic?

Cheers!
EggRoll

Edit:

Well keep your a$$ stuck out there for EA to do you know what to it while you take it crying about a classic shard.

Dummy you get more from player run shards in a month then EA will offer UO in the next 11 years.
Never mind. You're right. Thanks for saving me a rim job? Heh. Brilliant, thank you....

One question though.... What are you trying to say?

B

Beer_Cayse

Excerpted/paraphrased from Players Corner FAQ:

Felucca -Original game design landmass.

Trammel - Introduced with UO Renaissance.

Ilshenar - Third Dawn (3D client only); Blackthorns Revenge (2D client)

Malas - Age of Shadows

Tokuno Islands - Samurai Empire

V

Vyal

Mattitracks

rofl

No it's cool I really thought I was helping you break free from EAs hold on your back side.

I know I don't pay people money for something I could get for free.

It's like paying for a hooker when you have a lady at home that hotter then the sun.

T

Turdnugget

Der Rock, reading you replies gives me a headache because your grammar and sentence structure is so horrible.

you realy belief uo has today around 206 player and 46,6% (96) voted yes
is that what you realy think ?
Obviously you're on something to think that...Why would I think that UO only has around 206 players? Not everyone is a board warrior that plays UO. Just stating that from those that have voted, look at the outcome.

I don't see why you or others oppose this so much. A classic shard wouldn't have to be cared for like a baby nearly as much as post-Aos shards do.

Other than security updates, a classic shard doesn't need new content.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Der Rock, reading you replies gives me a headache because your grammar and sentence structure is so horrible.
Hey, give the guy a break. English is clearly not his native language.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Other than security updates, a classic shard doesn't need new content.
If, and that's a big if, it did get new content, it should only be appropriate content...as in nothing that does anything to change the dynamic of the game.

House decor, new clothing, etc...fine. As long as it didn't include new lands, new item properties, new colors, etc.

A Classic shard should look classic. No Tokuno dyes, no neon colors of any kind, no neon or bright hair. The colors on the character build screen should be the limits for hair color.

And no elves...especially Casca!!! :D

D

Der Rock

You know you're right. A classic shard should only be created if a fascist set of laws is put in place.

What the hell is wrong with you? "I would accept" - as if your stamp of approval is needed!? What a farce.... If they ever [and I doubt they ever would] did create a shard such as this, than guess what? You would have no choice but to accept it, or quit in protest. The latter option would likely do the whole of the community a service.

So has anyone here ever seen an ******* wrapped in plastic?
Ugh......
wow, is that free-shard behavior ? :)

M

Mattitracks

As of 2:21est I believe UO has 210 players and 112 voted yes!!!

i am sry for that, i do my best
Did you have to go off and say something like this? Ah hell. I'm sorry for busting your balls. Heh, your one comment made me feel like a complete ass.

V

Vyal

As of 2:22 PM EST you think EA gives a damn about how many of the idiots that play this game voted on a stupid site that EA has nothing to do with?

M

Mattitracks

As of 2:22 PM EST you think EA gives a damn about how many of the idiots that play this game voted on a stupid site that EA has nothing to do with?
You also have no idea when someone is being sarcastic do you?

I also believe EA does have something to do with these boards... Are they not the official boards? Really man, just quit posting. You are coming off like a moron.

D

Der Rock

A Classic shard should look classic. No Tokuno dyes, no neon colors of any kind, no neon or bright hair. The colors on the character build screen should be the limits for hair color.

you confuse me :) :eyes:
your avatar pic here looks "slightly" to much heavy make-up :)
wouldn´t be here a stick(wo)man more appropriate ? :gee:
:lick:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

*notices the goalposts are starting to move*
Nope.

Right where they should be.

I have been adamant that a Classic Shard needs to be:

- Pre tram
- Pre AoS
- No neon colors

Etc. etc.

I have never said that such a shard should never grow or change. Just that it should follow a completely different evolution than the current shards did.

As I have stated over and over...for those that wouldn't like a classic shard, then you shouldn't care what happened to it after the fact...since you wouldn't play on it.

But, if something new were added to UO, like housing security for example...that should be evaluated and considered for a classic shard, because it does not impact the gameplay. Whereas, if something were added to the regular shards, like an artifact that can kill a Balron in 2 hits, that glows in the dark, and looks like a giant plastic toy, then no...it should never be on the classic shard.

I have also suggested that something would need to be put in place to help curtail rampant PKing...something other than the ridiculously unrealistic Trammel option the devs of old chose.

T

The Home Guild

Nope.

Right where they should be.

I have been adamant that a Classic Shard needs to be:

- Pre tram
- Pre AoS
- No neon colors

Etc. etc.

I have never said that such a shard should never grow or change. Just that it should follow a completely different evolution than the current shards did.

As I have stated over and over...for those that wouldn't like a classic shard, then you shouldn't care what happened to it after the fact...since you wouldn't play on it.

But, if something new were added to UO, like housing security for example...that should be evaluated and considered for a classic shard, because it does not impact the gameplay. Whereas, if something were added to the regular shards, like an artifact that can kill a Balron in 2 hits, that glows in the dark, and looks like a giant plastic toy, then no...it should never be on the classic shard.

I have also suggested that something would need to be put in place to help curtail rampant PKing...something other than the ridiculously unrealistic Trammel option the devs of old chose.
I agree with everything you say,i think it becomes pointless to keep trying to convince these non-believers or people in general eachday.They are stuck in thier own mindset.

I wish,the dev's would atleast say in this thread..what they think about it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not that it matters a whit one way or the other, I thought it would be interesting to see how many people have actually made a post in this thread, categorized by how they voted. Here are the results through post #190, in order by who posted the most down to who posted the least:

YES Votes (i.e., 23 people who voted in favor of an EA-produced classic shard):
Morgana LeFay (25 posts)
Turdnugget (13 posts)
Mattitracks (9 posts)
Lord Patapon (8 posts)
Kaleb (6 posts)
BC- (4 posts)
MatrixCubed (4 posts)
ColterDC (2 posts)
Dain (2 posts)
Demonus (2 posts)
Malimus (2 posts)
The Home Guild (2 posts)
Tom Builder (2 posts)
AaronTheAssassin (1 post)
Dor of Sonoma (1 post)
KinG DaviD (1 post)
LIL DON (1 post)
Lord Puffy (1 post)
lynxineuropa (1 post)
02bavr6 (1 post)
ProZac (1 post)
sligachan (1 post)
Vortimer (1 post)

NO Votes (i.e., 24 people who voted against the idea of an EA-produced classic shard)
Der Rock (14 posts)
Old Man of UO (13 posts)
kelmo (12 posts)
Dermott of LS (5 posts)
Tina Small (5 posts)
Maplestone (4 posts)
Setnaffa (4 posts)
Aboo (3 posts)
Mr.Fernandes (3 posts)
RichDC (3 posts)
Cetric GL (2 posts)
Connor Graham (2 posts)
Fox (Europa) (2 posts)
Gildar (2 posts)
Kiminality (2 posts)
Lord Drakelord (2 posts)
sablestorm (2 posts)
Saris (2 posts)
AesSedai (1 post)
Beer Cayse (1 post)
FrejaSP (1 post)
Hoffs (1 post)
Lord GOD(GOD) (1 post)
weins201 (1 post)

PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO CONFUSE US (5 people who did not vote but made at least one post in the thread. Are they fence-sitters or just plain cagey?)
Vyal (5 posts)
Harlequin (3 posts)
Sweeney (2 posts)
Flora Green (1 post)
Teeshy (1 post)

V

Vyal

You also have no idea when someone is being sarcastic do you?

I also believe EA does have something to do with these boards... Are they not the official boards? Really man, just quit posting. You are coming off like a moron.

EA has nothing to do with Sony so I would have to say no these arn't the official boards.

EA has nothing to do with these forums, NOTTA nothing.

You better get right & open your eyes up. YOU ARE GETTING ripped off son, your paying someone for trash and not just once, one time is understandable but your probably one of those brain dead zombiefied UO cult **** heads that paid them every month for 11 years for 5 accounts for complete trash service, programming, staff, company, graphics, bugs, **** man everything about UO sucks now a days.

Don't preach to me mother ****er your the one who plays this garbage not me.

Go clean up before you come back and post to me about anything you smell like UO **** buddy.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But what I'm saying is that when you're trying to make a business case to the powers that be, this is the sort of statement that is going to be nails-on-chalkboard.

Over the course of this thread the request has already changed from just turn in on, through just adding a few bug fixes and now you're bringing up the idea of a complete fork with full development.

You've got to stop moving the goal posts.

If you're going to create the case that will win over the people with the purse strings, you need (1) to be able to clearly define what you want, (2) you need some sort of proof that it will bring in enough NEW subscriptions to justify the cost (I don't know how, but I wouldn't trust a show of online hands to spend $1 if it was my decision), (3) you need to be realistic, even overly conservative, about the costs and challenges of undertaking the project, both to create it and to maintain it.

To be honest, I would start by suggesting it as a Hallowe'en shard theme - the devs haven't had the time to create one for a while, but if you start seeding the idea, it might inspire some playful puttering. If it could be somehow be done as a one-off, with a model in hand, it would be much easier to make the case to just leave it on permanently.

I don't support what you're asking for, but that doesn't mean I want you to fail.

M

Mattitracks

EA has nothing to do with Sony so I would have to say no these arn't the official boards.

EA has nothing to do with these forums, NOTTA nothing.

You better get right & open your eyes up. YOU ARE GETTING ripped off son, your paying someone for trash and not just once, one time is understandable but your probably one of those brain dead zombiefied UO cult **** heads that paid them every month for 11 years for 5 accounts for complete trash service, programming, staff, company, graphics, bugs, **** man everything about UO sucks now a days.

Don't preach to me mother ****er your the one who plays this garbage not me.

Go clean up before you come back and post to me about anything you smell like UO **** buddy.
When did UO have anything to do with sony? or when did stratics have anything do with sony? I guess you don't remember when they shut the old UO.com boards down eh? Funny how it seems a large portion of the staff seems to post here.....

Also if you read the thread you would have noticed I don't play and haven't played for 7+ years. Once again... You are a moron.

edit: After a bit of research it seems that stratics might not be considered the official UO boards any longer, but they seem to have the same function nonetheless. Only thing that has changed is the designation it would appear. If you think the staff at EA doesn't have anything to do with these boards, you're blind. Therefore my assessment sticks. You're a moron.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Over the course of this thread the request has already changed from just turn in on, through just adding a few bug fixes and now you're bringing up the idea of a complete fork with full development.
In fairness to you, I am not sure how much of this topic you have followed across the numerous threads it has been discussed in, so I suppose you missed this by Draconi_EA...

Right, if UO had a classic server, we would *have* to exclude expansion content and ongoing content from the normal shards. This would be massively different than how we handle Siege and Mugen, for example. (I wouldn't rule out a separate and involved set of content fitting in-line with that shard, however).*
Now, admittedly, I'm a personal believer in the T2A expansion for a classic shard. It felt like a real add-on to the original game, and not a replacement or "update."
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1043378&postcount=146

Nothing about my position has changed, and the idea for adding any content...at least that I was aware of...originated with that post. I just happen to agree with Draconi on this.

You've got to stop moving the goal posts.
The goal is, and remains...the creation of a Classic Shard. What happens to it beyond that is an entirely different debate.

I don't support what you're asking for, but that doesn't mean I want you to fail.
Not sure how you can have it both ways really, but I appreciate the positive sentiment you included.

*my emphasis added.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose you missed this by Draconi_EA...
I remember that quote well (I follow far too many threads around here), but I read it more as fantasy than prophecy. There's still a huge, huge gulf between a random evening musing and a real project plan - my sense is what glimmers of sympathy you've heard could still easily be extinguished by fears of mission creep.

Not sure how you can have it both ways really, but I appreciate the positive sentiment you included.
This isn't a zero-sum game - just because your dreams succeed doesn't mean my dreams must fail.

Yes, we have fundamentally, almost diametrically opposed views of what game we want to play in, but that doesn't mean the universe isn't big enough to accommodate us both :)