• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do You Want A Classic Shard??

Do you want a Classic UO shard?

• Total voters
L

Lord Patapon

Hey Maplestone, I understand your concern, but I have to disagree (a bit) with you.

Those servers woudn't demand much resources to run, because, yes, security updates and such are important, and no, they can't do it like some students who run their own shard, that's pretty obvious and you're right with that; but security updates are made for all shards, and are not specific.
I don't believe the rulesets have much to do with duping prevention; for all I know and a lot I heard in the past, moongates between facets have, in the past, been a way to dupe, mainly using client crash/facet swapping and such methods to abuse the server.
Anyway, dupe is now available from items, which wasn't much the case before (how the hell could they think about using an imprisoned dog to dupe ?).
I hope this **** disappear fast, and I hope the EA-Mythic team have taken into account the importance of this matter, but I think they did, indeed, because they know what cheating brings to a game, and they know it's usually a death penalty, without hesitation.

So, basically, yeah, you're right, it would take a few updates, once in a while.
But all the CONTENT based updates would be for you guys who prefer UO:AoS or don't like pre-UO:R shards enough.
We don't need much.

A lot of people have been putting up with private servers these last years, with all the inconveniences it can bring to your game time (crashes, reverts, assistance that isn't always there to help ya, lame players, extreme griefing ...), and I know a lot of those who would like to pay for a REAL, solid, EA owned Classic shard.

And you guys are right too on the content of this shard ... you say we can't know what era the devs should choose, and such ... but you forgot Mythic done it before.
They have even been further than the "Classic" shard with DAoC, as they're thinking about an "Origin" shard (a Classic Classic shard).
Why can't they do that for UO ?
The discussion is up to those who want this shard; we're not greedy, nor are you guys who wanna have the "present" game developped to its full potential (if ever possible with UO), but you gotta admit we don't ask for much, really. Not much.

Don't know what else I can say ...

Oh, and please, please, don't compare Siege to a pre UO:R or pre AOS era, because it doesn't make sense.
Siege was here long, long time before AoS, but AoS got to it, somehow.
If Siege was so identical, why would so much people bother discussing the matter here ?!

S

Saris

Yep. There would be thieves. PKs too.

That's why some people wouldn't play on a classic shard. Some people won't play on Siege. Doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
HMMM I still say its a waste of resources but I would like to see a seige without seige bless, pre pub 16, and all maps up to pub 16 but no tram no fel just Sosaria, I still dont get the fel, tram thing anyway story wise, we live on the moons of sosaria?

NO ROT!

hell take rot out of siege, I bet shard population would tripple in a night, though most old vets would complain about them having to easy, I just want it populated.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Supreem voted no. :scholar:
So did I. Stephen voted yes. *shrugs* It is an opinion poll. I would not read too much into it.

The thing I find interesting is that of those that cared to vote, it is pretty much split down the middle.

S

Sweeney

So did I. Stephen voted yes. *shrugs* It is an opinion poll. I would not read too much into it.

The thing I find interesting is that of those that cared to vote, it is pretty much split down the middle.
Which is why these types of polls are pretty useless.

When will the poll fad end?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I would not say this is useless. You have the choice to ignore the poll threads. *tips hat*

B

Bc-

The population is skewed. Take a poll on whether or not the Detroit Red Wings are a good hockey team, in Joe Louis Arena. I can imagine it will be quite bias.

Majority of the people here enjoy the way the game is currently being played, that is why they are still here. Those that would want a classic shard are less likely to be here because they do not play the game anymore. The fact that it is split down the middle suprises me, because I didn't even think it would get that many votes on this board specifically.

The way Mythic did it for their Classic servers was a vote on the Herald with a mass email sent out to all current and former subscribers with a link to the poll. And well.. we all know the end result of that :)

Comon Mythic, fix UO for me since my DAoC cluster is dead!

T

Turdnugget

I don't see why people think this would take lots of time to keep up once it was up and running.

A classic shard doesn't need new content updates. Just security updates as was stated.

All we need is our invulnerability/vanquishing/700 skill cap/insta hit halbers/kilt wearing/head chopping/thieving/guard killing/no neon/no trammel shard.

I'm sure if those that have already quit, and don't frequent the boards, who left UO after AoS screwed up the game, were to vote on this poll, it would be a lot more Yes than No.

Quit saying a classic shard would take away from other post AoS shards. It wouldn't. We wouldn't NEED content updates. It would actually be nice to be on the same playing field as others who actually take skill to PvP and not just godly weapons that sometimes two hit kill you.

If Siege had no RoT and no items. I would play there. But it's not like a classic shard. People say it's the closest thing we have...that may be true but the way it's set up now doesn't feel anything like the classic UO other than you can loot anyone.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is not close to it at all.

It is not just about the lack of Trammel. It is much more than that.
So what is it about Siege that makes it so horribly unacceptable to all you people who keep clamoring for a "classic shard"?

Is there a possibility that many of the things you people who don't like Siege but also don't play there currently are also things that folks who do play Siege would like to see changed?

Maybe if some of you that keep starting all these threads and polls would instead spend some time playing on Siege and figure out exactly what it is you all want, you could come up with a solid list of changes that would appeal to the majority and give the developers something to work with. In other words, more action and less talk out of the lot of ye!! These polls and threads do nothing to help your case because they're just a bunch of hot air until you all get yourselves organized and reach a consensus regarding EXACTLY what you want.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why people think this would take lots of time to keep up once it was up and running.

A classic shard doesn't need new content updates. Just security updates as was stated.

All we need is our invulnerability/vanquishing/700 skill cap/insta hit halbers/kilt wearing/head chopping/thieving/guard killing/no neon/no trammel shard.

I'm sure if those that have already quit, and don't frequent the boards, who left UO after AoS screwed up the game, were to vote on this poll, it would be a lot more Yes than No.

Quit saying a classic shard would take away from other post AoS shards. It wouldn't. We wouldn't NEED content updates. It would actually be nice to be on the same playing field as others who actually take skill to PvP and not just godly weapons that sometimes two hit kill you.

If Siege had no RoT and no items. I would play there. But it's not like a classic shard. People say it's the closest thing we have...that may be true but the way it's set up now doesn't feel anything like the classic UO other than you can loot anyone.

As others have pointed out, are you guys sure you're all on the same page? As I mentioned before, if it doesn't detract from what the Devs are doing now, go for it. The reality is, whatever "classic" shard they implement, there's bound to be classicists who aren't happy with it and will be demanding changes here. Then there will be those who are happy with what they released who demand that nothing be changed. Then there will the new flurry of posts talking about how the Devs don't care about this segment of the player base and don't support them. I mean, I would love to have a shard which is custom tailored to my every expectation and I would love to have a player base which goes along with that. Not going to happen though.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look at it like this, if Stratics posters make up a cross section of UO players, then the poll here should tell anyone that almost half the UO players want a classic shard.

That's a pretty telling poll.

Imagine if half of the players from every shard left those shards and started playing on a classic shard! You might actually see another player more than a few times a day at a bank, or in a dungeon!

I don't think that half of the entire UO population would actually move to a classic shard, but if even 1/10 of the UO players did, it would be the busiest shard EA owns. Not to mention all of the old players that would return if they had a shard like this.

I cannot see how EA can afford to not create a classic shard.
Morgana, please don't be so charmingly naive. You know as well as anyone else these polls MEAN NOTHING. You've voted at least twice and who knows how many other people voted twice or more. All it takes to budge the results in the direction you want is to make more e-mail addresses and then more Stratics accounts. The results from these polls are absolutely bogus.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

So what is it about Siege that makes it so horribly unacceptable to all you people who keep clamoring for a "classic shard"?
- Age of Shadows item properties
- Factions
- Ruined economy...not as bad as the regular shards, but still hyper-inflated
- Neon colors
- Customizable housing
- New skills
- New land masses
- One character per account
- "Advanced" NPC purchasing system
- Soulstones

There are other things. Siege has PvP, but it is not the same as the classic UO of the Second Age era. And it shouldn't be. Siege, like all the other shards, has evolved in a different direction than a classic shard would.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Morgana, please don't be so charmingly naive. You know as well as anyone else these polls MEAN NOTHING. You've voted at least twice and who knows how many other people voted twice or more. All it takes to budge the results in the direction you want is to make more e-mail addresses and then more Stratics accounts. The results from these polls are absolutely bogus.
Take from the poll results what you will. Hopefully EA/Mythic will take from them that they should make a classic pre-UO:R shard.

O

Old Man of UO

Take from the poll results what you will. Hopefully EA/Mythic will take from them that they should make a classic pre-UO:R shard.
Choices and emotions aside, this poll only has just over 100 respondents and 50 of them for the idea. Any poll on Stratics is non-scientific and not statistically valid... no way to judge how many paying customers would play the classic shard rule set, nor how many NEW customers would be attracted.

Even if existing players would go to a classic shard, no way to pay for unless enough NEW customers would join to pay for the additional cost. You can not pay for it with existing customers. That's the difficult part of deciding to create a shard with a "new-different" rule set. It would partially cannibalize existing shards.

T

Turdnugget

It may not bring in 'new' players but i'm sure it would bring back old players.

If you guys want a list of what it is we want out of a classic shard, so be it. I'll ponder up some ideas and throw them out for you guys to shootdown because you feel that we're stealing dev time from regular UO when a classic shard would take LESS Dev time than AoS pixel crack.

Oh, and by the way... from the poll results, it looks like the majority of NO voters tend to post more about Trammel issues.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're saying NO so that there can be more carebear items and further lame expansions that only increase item dependency even more and create more bugs.

I'm not saying ALL of the NO voters are trammies... but the majority look that way from previous posts.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
um ... I'm not sure what you are saying Turdnugget ... you were expecting Tram players to vote in favour of devs spending their time on a pre-Tram shard?

( there's no "it sounds nice as a nostalgic outlet but I don't believe people in favour are being realistic about the true costs and benefits" option to the poll )

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I dunno... I see some pretty ferocious people on the no list...

T

Turdnugget

kelmo, I said majority... not all...

Why not get Trammies involved? I'm sure there's some out there that don't do Fel anymore due to all the cheats and the fact you need good equipment to even compete.

Those that want a classic shard I believe want a skill based UO again. Not who has the bigger gun.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
kelmo, I said majority... not all...

Why not get Trammies involved? I'm sure there's some out there that don't do Fel anymore due to all the cheats and the fact you need good equipment to even compete.

Those that want a classic shard I believe want a skill based UO again. Not who has the bigger gun.
And the cheats and equipment will not apply to a retro shard? How about a retro shard that no third party programs work with. No Map, No UOA. Nothing. Full tilt no. Nothing but UO works. Take out all of the nifty macros EA/Mythic has added.

No custom houses, pets by the score! Let me steal your key. Disarm stealing! Insurance is a bad dream. No bless. A capped movement like dial up days, no one should have an advantage. Slow every one down to the minimum.

At the very minimum "a classic shard" should have every safe guard against cheating that can be mustered. I do mean client side. Just like your Anti Virus programs. They invade your comps daily. and you trust them. I would expect you would extend the same courtesy to a "classic shard".

If this was done, I might be interested. Until a level playing field is guaranteed, I will do what I do.

B

Bc-

It isn't a matter of if this will happen, but when.

Eventually this server will come to pass, it might take 5 years it might be next year, it might even be more. But it will happen, all of the naysayers are simply trying to delay the inevitable. And they know it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It isn't a matter of if this will happen, but when.

Eventually this server will come to pass, it might take 5 years it might be next year, it might even be more. But it will happen, all of the naysayers are simply trying to delay the inevitable. And they know it.
*chuckles* Not the way you see it.

O

Old Man of UO

Okay, who wants a skill based shard?
I want ALL shards to be skill based, not just one shard! That would be so much better in my opinion.

And the cheats and equipment will not apply to a retro shard? How about a retro shard that no third party programs work with. No Map, No UOA. Nothing. Full tilt no. Nothing but UO works. Take out all of the nifty macros EA/Mythic has added.

No custom houses, pets by the score! Let me steal your key. Disarm stealing! Insurance is a bad dream. No bless. A capped movement like dial up days, no one should have an advantage. Slow every one down to the minimum.

Oh wow... Deja vu! Most people don't remember the downsides of the old "classic" shards, but you summed it up nicely!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Remember UO before high speed internet? No voice programs? What the retro folk seek is no longer there.

O

Old Man of UO

*chuckles* Remember UO before high speed internet?
Yaaa.... I remember. I got DSL only 3 years ago and still ping 200. I have to go out every now and then to clean the squirrels nests out of the tin cans, and tighten the kite string attached to the fiber optic iterface.

... What the retro folk seek is no longer there.
It's all still there, albeit hidden behind fancy armor names and weapons. It was always about the people... both friends and enemies that you make. UO is about the people, not the Great Lord and Great Lady titles.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*chuckles* Remember UO before high speed internet? No voice programs? What the retro folk seek is no longer there.

Heh...

I wonder just how many "classic shard" advocates will go back to sub 400Mhz systems on 55.6kpbs or less dialup and go back to using ICQ for communication.......

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Heh...

I wonder just how many "classic shard" advocates will go back to sub 400Mhz systems on 55.6kpbs or less dialup and go back to using ICQ for communication.......

Yeah... The good old days.

M

MatrixCubed

Three or 4 of us would sit in the same room...same as a voice prog...only thing I think might be different is no laggy dial up connection..

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If I remember correctly, my first month or so in UO was on a P133 laptop on a 33.6 PCMCIA modem (my desktop couldn't handle it as it was a 486 DX4 100Mhz with only 256 color VGA graphics (the graphics were the main thing that stopped me, I would have loved to have seen if it would ave run on there though)...

I remember well the days of ... step step ..... ...... .... step .... step .... Connection Lost and when if you could get DOWN to 150ms you had a sweet ping, now people "can't PvP" with a 150ms ping (or so they say).

What a ways we have come.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

If I remember correctly, my first month or so in UO was on a P133 laptop on a 33.6 PCMCIA modem (my desktop couldn't handle it as it was a 486 DX4 100Mhz with only 256 color VGA graphics (the graphics were the main thing that stopped me, I would have loved to have seen if it would ave run on there though)...

I remember well the days of ... step step ..... ...... .... step .... step .... Connection Lost and when if you could get DOWN to 150ms you had a sweet ping, now people "can't PvP" with a 150ms ping (or so they say).

What a ways we have come.

*smiles* There are just some things you can not undo.

O

Old Man of UO

Sets up a cold one for Demott and Kelmo.

Guinness or Sam Adams?

:pint: :pint: :pint:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
lol! Guinness drought. the can with marbles, please.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Out on the road today, I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac A little voice Inside my head said, "Don't look back. You can never look back." ...

D

Dain

I want to know WHY the hell people object to a classic shard?

Evidently you wont be playing it if you don't want it, and chances are that you wont be on agreeable terms with anyone that will, so why do you even care?

How does it effect you in the slightest bit if there is a new shard?

Going to take all Devs time up and left you forgotten? Hardly, everything needed in that server has already been made, and it wont exactly need "updating".

This was a moronic poll, giving the option to say "No" is a waste of time for the thread will indefinitely be overrun with Trammel orientated players objecting to any special treatment to others.

O

Old Man of UO

Out on the road today, I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac A little voice Inside my head said, "Don't look back. You can never look back." ...
NOOOO! I lived in Miami during the Don Henly hey-days and Miami Vice. I moved back to Michigan wearing white vest and aqua dress pants, and drove a DeLorean. It was not a pretty sight.

Best reason posted yet on why you can't go back!

*trivia for you* What record played backwards said, "The music is reversible, but time isn't. Go back! Go back!"

O

Old Man of UO

I want to know WHY the hell people object to a classic shard?

Evidently you wont be playing it if you don't want it, and chances are that you wont be on agreeable terms with anyone that will, so why do you even care?

How does it effect you in the slightest bit if there is a new shard?

Going to take all Devs time up and left you forgotten? Hardly, everything needed in that server has already been made, and it wont exactly need "updating".

This was a moronic poll, giving the option to say "No" is a waste of time for the thread will indefinitely be overrun with Trammel orientated players objecting to any special treatment to others.
Heh... so, how did you vote?

Actually, the code no longer exists for a classic shard. No one even agrees on what is meant by "classic" rules set for a shard... not even the free-shards.

*pours Dain a Pepsi Free*

D

Dain

I am fair sure it would take them 10 minutes to take the code from RunUO.

And I voted Yes, although I don't know why since I could never play it in the first place being Australian (400+ ping)

A

AesSedai

- 10 minutes, heh ;)
There is a huge difference between an EA product and an illegal basement 'Wayne's World' -shard... although party-time and excellence can be had with both (allegedly, as I have seen no sense in playing as a UO pirate somewhere that profiteers off of other ip/ideas and can disappear as fast as D B Cooper can apparently jump from a plane...).

K

Kiminality

When people use their alt forum accounts to vote, it compromises what little integrity the poll had.

T

Turdnugget

Originally Posted by kelmo
"And the cheats and equipment will not apply to a retro shard? How about a retro shard that no third party programs work with. No Map, No UOA. Nothing. Full tilt no. Nothing but UO works. Take out all of the nifty macros EA/Mythic has added.

No custom houses, pets by the score! Let me steal your key. Disarm stealing! Insurance is a bad dream. No bless. A capped movement like dial up days, no one should have an advantage. Slow every one down to the minimum. "

No map is fine. I only use UOAM for doing champ spawns. A classic shard wouldn't need that as there would be no champ spawns. And most people who did dungeon crawls, knew the dungeon and didn't need a map other than the one that is provided in game.

I didn't use UOA back in the day. In game macros were sufficient enough. No map is fine. Did without it when UO first started (having a party actually meant something)

No custom houses, that's fine. I think it's ridiculous what some houses look like anyways and they are super laggy. No bless. That's fine. Only thing that was blessed back in the day were newbie clothes, which aren't even blessed today if you make a brand new character. You gotta find oldschool newbie clothes that are blessed.

Capped movement is fine. I don't remember using speeder back then as an issue.

They could have an East Coast and West Coast classic server so that people on both sides can ping well and get close to server cap.

No custom houses, pets by the score! Let me steal your key. Disarm stealing! Insurance is a bad dream.
I'm also fine with giving tamers a control slot amount so that's not abused either. Go ahead and steal my key, that's how it used to be. You actually had to lock your door when you left. Omgoose, imagine that!

Disarm stealing ftw. A viable class that was FUN to play and was challenging. Insurance = crap.

Random weapon specials (no toggling of specials)
Townies
O/C
Pre-cast
Buc's Den
Dungeon Crawls
Disarm thieves
Heavy archer/light archer suits meant something
Full plate
Full GM leather
Magic Reflect ( actually did what the spell says)
Quarter Staff using townies actually made sense (in today's UO it's all about concussion/AI/mortal)
Vanquish/Invul armor/weapons
Silver weapons
Bounty System
Chopping the heads off of PK's for bounties/collecting
Running around with just a half apron, straw hat, kilt and sandals... and being able to PvP vs. anyone
Having to buy a horse each time you died
Actually seeing other people
Lots of smaller guilds and not just one large zerg guild
Macing destroying armor
Item ID
Just about every bank littered with people at most anytime of the day
Skill based duels/PvP (a non GM'd mage competeing with a 7xmage and holding their own)
Magic Resist meaning something

Those are some of the things that I miss from the classic UO that I grew to love and enjoy, and miss.

D

Der Rock

Originally Posted by kelmo
Disarm stealing ftw. A viable class that was FUN to play and was challenging. Insurance = crap.
Random weapon specials (no toggling of specials)
Townies
O/C
Pre-cast
Buc's Den
Dungeon Crawls
Disarm thieves
Heavy archer/light archer suits meant something
Full plate
Full GM leather
Magic Reflect ( actually did what the spell says)
Quarter Staff using townies actually made sense (in today's UO it's all about concussion/AI/mortal)
Vanquish/Invul armor/weapons
Silver weapons
Bounty System
Chopping the heads off of PK's for bounties/collecting
Running around with just a half apron, straw hat, kilt and sandals... and being able to PvP vs. anyone
Having to buy a horse each time you died
Actually seeing other people
Lots of smaller guilds and not just one large zerg guild
Macing destroying armor
Item ID
Just about every bank littered with people at most anytime of the day
Skill based duels/PvP (a non GM'd mage competeing with a 7xmage and holding their own)
Magic Resist meaning something

Those are some of the things that I miss from the classic UO that I grew to love and enjoy, and miss.

ah, yue see,THAT is the difference between me and 95% of all other people and the kind of player like you.
WE are glad if the garbage collection company pick up the trash, we dont wont it back
;)

K

KinG DaviD

I WOULD BE ALL OVER A CLASSIC SHARD!! Where Power and Vanquishing weapons were the cats meow!! Bring back OLD UO!! please!!! where it took more than 2 hits to kill someone...!!

L

Lord Patapon

ah, yue see,THAT is the difference between me and 95% of all other people and the kind of player like you.
WE are glad if the garbage collection company pick up the trash, we dont wont it back
;)
Does the word respect rings any bell to you ?
God ...

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said no for 2 reasons.
1. I wouldn't be interested in playing on a "Classic" Shard.
2. I don't think there are enough people interested in the same kind of "classic" shard for it to be worth developer time.

If there were enough people that actually wanted the same thing in a "classic" shard, I'd be all for the developers spending time on it in addition to spending time on the ruleset I enjoy.