• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Year End Approaching...No Classic Shard

• Thread starter Morgana LeFay (PoV)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You haven't posted in this thread before the post I quoted, and no, not going to wade through your post history.

The post which I quoted was in response to an obvious anti-classic sharder. Now, no, you didn't directly promote such a shard, but you did blame the killing of UO on a mindset that is the majority. If the game is slanted toward the majority, being low-to-no-risk, then it is exactly where it "should" be in that respect. UO fails for a multitude of marketing sins committed by the game studio du jour and EA in general.

You might want to look into the term sarcasm... If you read your original post you kinda went off on the desires of the majority and then blamed UO's decline on it.

So, you don't want a classic shard. Yay. But you also don't like what the majority likes and has liked for a solid decade now? UO isn't continuing out of the goodness of EA's heart - if it wasn't making some kind of profit the plug would have been yanked and we all would be playing something else.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You haven't posted in this thread before the post I quoted, and no, not going to wade through your post history.

The post which I quoted was in response to an obvious anti-classic sharder. Now, no, you didn't directly promote such a shard, but you did blame the killing of UO on a mindset that is the majority. If the game is slanted toward the majority, being low-to-no-risk, then it is exactly where it "should" be in that respect. UO fails for a multitude of marketing sins committed by the game studio du jour and EA in general.

You might want to look into the term sarcasm... If you read your original post you kinda went off on the desires of the majority and then blamed UO's decline on it.

So, you don't want a classic shard. Yay. But you also don't like what the majority likes and has liked for a solid decade now? UO isn't continuing out of the goodness of EA's heart - if it wasn't making some kind of profit the plug would have been yanked and we all would be playing something else.
Really? If the majority like it so much then why is UO losing subscribers at a alarming rate then?

Why yes i did blame the mindset of current players on UO decline...

P.S. Siege Perilous is not a classic server and i love it...BUT a few things need thrown off the server because SP got a few things in patches that it should have never gotten...

Bottom line is i stated what i needed to say...

"You haven't posted in this thread before the post I quoted"

I posted #93 replying to post #92 which had nothing to do with you at all you replied to my post...FAIL...

Do me a favor and go get some sleep because you have been posting out the side of your neck this whole day towards me...

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't even read the last post... this is so degrading for many of you, however some keep me on teh hard on like they always did.

Pun intended.

Ehhhhh...

blablalblalblalblalblal

creep up all ya want, divisist.

You can't see the future anymore.
Edit : that was written after the "glad your gone"... "thing"

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok folks, this discussion is deteriorating rapidly. Let's keep to the topic, leave the hostility garbage out, and play nice so I don't have to lock another classic shard thread.

*Shamus is watching, choose your next posts wisely.*
Is there any reason not to close it at this point? The thread has run its course and now there is just circular debate going on (as always seems to happen). The devs should know by now that if they don't make a classic shard soon they are going to lose more people than they've already lost, it may not be many but we're moving on and couldn't care less whether the game lives or dies because we won't be here either way. People opposed to a classic shard like to complain about these threads and yet seem to make up the majority of people posting in them. If they really wanted to make us feel bad they'd just let them fall off the front page and die rather than continuing to bump them just to say "nanannana you're not getting a classic shard." Childish.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could as well pay two people to act like they are really on each side of the debate then televise it with Accents and Laws....

Hey hey hey...

you know better, deep down.

You're Vlaude, after all.

There is always something to find, always some points to be made, don't give up the good fight and let it proceed according to ethics and hygiene which many have so obviously rejected.

It makes me think of Jesus H. Christ ... for his own sake...

What is that supposed to mean anyways ?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? If the majority like it so much then why is UO losing subscribers at a alarming rate then?
Why yes i did blame the mindset of current players on UO decline...
UO loses players for many reasons. One, its 13 years old and is definitely showing its age. It does have one of the deeper worlds of the MMO industry, both in lore and actual sandboxishness. However, the decrepit classic client and the perpetual-beta EC have pushed many a customer away.

I've tried to bring friends into the game, but they got scared away at the sheer volume of crap they have to learn on their own. The lack of any sort of coherent New Player Experience has cut the legs out from under most chances to gain newbs. Vet players can only be expected to hand-hold people so long before se succumb to aggravation.

Honestly, most of UO's issues can be firmly thrown at EA's clueless feet. The game was ripped out of Austin, taking very few developers with it. Then it Was ripped out of Redwood Shores and thrown to the other side of the country where what, 4 people followed it? Most recently, we lost Draconi who seemed to be one of be the only ones who had any sort of grand vision. Then we lost Sakkarah. How many months did the Team reel from those losses?

Let’s not foist the blame onto how MMOs have catered to the majority desire to have a "fun," "safe," "hassle free" environment. It’s what people demanded. But people aren't leaving the game for that, aside from the revolving-door classic sharders. "Oh I'm quitting because I didn't get X!" Cut to three months later: "I'm baaaaaaack!" Meh.

UO is old. It’s not what it used to be in terms of a continual sub draw. Without a coherent vision behind the development of the future it never will be again. The first step in that process is to ensure that publishes don't leave TC/Origin with known bugs and broken features. Ever.

P.S. Siege Perilous is not a classic server and i love it...BUT a few things need thrown off the server because SP got a few things in patches that it should have never gotten...
You're exactly right. Siege isn't classic. It's promise was wasted by a severe lack of continued development of unique features, an appalling lack of responsiveness to play stopping issues, and several willful f-ups by Dev Teams past. I feel sorry for the people who have done their damnedest to make that shard their home only to be continually marginalized.

I posted #93 replying to post #92 which had nothing to do with you at all you replied to my post...FAIL...

Do me a favor and go get some sleep because you have been posting out the side of your neck this whole day towards me...

And I’m post 94, responding to your 93. So?
I hadn’t posted ‘towards you’ at all today until then, so hardly the “whole day.” Hyperbole is not your friend.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO loses players for many reasons. One, its 13 years old and is definitely showing its age. It does have one of the deeper worlds of the MMO industry, both in lore and actual sandboxishness. However, the decrepit classic client and the perpetual-beta EC have pushed many a customer away.

I've tried to bring friends into the game, but they got scared away at the sheer volume of crap they have to learn on their own. The lack of any sort of coherent New Player Experience has cut the legs out from under most chances to gain newbs. Vet players can only be expected to hand-hold people so long before se succumb to aggravation.

Honestly, most of UO's issues can be firmly thrown at EA's clueless feet. The game was ripped out of Austin, taking very few developers with it. Then it Was ripped out of Redwood Shores and thrown to the other side of the country where what, 4 people followed it? Most recently, we lost Draconi who seemed to be one of be the only ones who had any sort of grand vision. Then we lost Sakkarah. How many months did the Team reel from those losses?

Let’s not foist the blame onto how MMOs have catered to the majority desire to have a "fun," "safe," "hassle free" environment. It’s what people demanded. But people aren't leaving the game for that, aside from the revolving-door classic sharders. "Oh I'm quitting because I didn't get X!" Cut to three months later: "I'm baaaaaaack!" Meh.

UO is old. It’s not what it used to be in terms of a continual sub draw. Without a coherent vision behind the development of the future it never will be again. The first step in that process is to ensure that publishes don't leave TC/Origin with known bugs and broken features. Ever.

You're exactly right. Siege isn't classic. It's promise was wasted by a severe lack of continued development of unique features, an appalling lack of responsiveness to play stopping issues, and several willful f-ups by Dev Teams past. I feel sorry for the people who have done their damnedest to make that shard their home only to be continually marginalized.
Goodnight...

S

sweet potato

Uo needs to move forward,not backwards...this is why it is dying...
Yes, I see this excuse often. But where the problem lies is your definition of moving forward.

Moving forward means making improvements i.e. graphics, unique new balanced content, and improved gameplay and competition, and not the current track of making the game worse, making it more generic, removing competition, and littering it with unbalanced duplicate junk.

The simplest and best analogy that I have seen is simply that EA has turned UO into Candyland.

Moving forward means improvement, not ruin.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just wonder why it is when some people quit they feel the need to come into stratics and boast about their decision like it was some monumental accomplishment or something and they need some rose pinned on their arse or something....

Well take your rose carpet anniversary item and pin that... and then for the love of sanity don't come back here and post like you know what the heck is going on in the game just by reading stratics and think you have some clue as to what the rest of us care about, because it's obvious you haven't got a clue about why we all still play and enjoy the game while all you can do is whine about what once was.

I'd be just as happy with UO if the only PvP there was was either faction to faction.... or guild to guild.... wars between factions or between alliances or what have you and Fel was turned into a mirror of trammel with powerscrolls...

No open PvP at all... either you would have to be in a faction and do faction wars or you would have to be in a warring guild and only be able to PvP with warred parties or other factions.

And I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that 90% of the population/playerbase feels exactly the same.

I'm even going to go so far as to say the reason you don't see too many folk posting who aren't whining about a "classic" shard is because most of the 90% who could care less about tram... don't care to read stratics either..... why? Because they are too busy playing the game and having fun.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so tired of hearing self-righteous PVP types act like their quitting (for the 8th time or whatever) is going to be the death of UO.

They created Trammel ten years ago and it did wonders for their subscriptions. They'll put up a classic shard if it will help their bottom line, and they have much better tools for making that decision than listening to some dude on a forum talk about how all his friends totally want one.

Whenever UO shuts down someday, it won't be because they added Trammel a decade-plus in the past, or because they failed to placate a couple of forum diehards. Get over yourselves.

V

Vyal

Half the player base of UO wants a classic shard and for years and years all you see is posts about it and the players making votes like hundreds and hundreds that say yes please make we want it but they wont do it or comment on it it's freaking crazy how jacked up it is.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just wonder why it is when some people quit they feel the need to come into stratics and boast about their decision like it was some monumental accomplishment or something and they need some rose pinned on their arse or something....

Well take your rose carpet anniversary item and pin that... and then for the love of sanity don't come back here and post like you know what the heck is going on in the game just by reading stratics and think you have some clue as to what the rest of us care about, because it's obvious you haven't got a clue about why we all still play and enjoy the game while all you can do is whine about what once was.

I'd be just as happy with UO if the only PvP there was was either faction to faction.... or guild to guild.... wars between factions or between alliances or what have you and Fel was turned into a mirror of trammel with powerscrolls...

No open PvP at all... either you would have to be in a faction and do faction wars or you would have to be in a warring guild and only be able to PvP with warred parties or other factions.

And I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that 90% of the population/playerbase feels exactly the same.

I'm even going to go so far as to say the reason you don't see too many folk posting who aren't whining about a "classic" shard is because most of the 90% who could care less about tram... don't care to read stratics either..... why? Because they are too busy playing the game and having fun.
You're right, anyone who thinks UO will end because of their account(s) closing is pretentious. As someone mentioned earlier, UO has it coming because it's a 13 year old game. People closing their account because of no classic shard is just another reason in the LONG list of reasons people have quit over the years. However, it can also be added to the list (no matter how big or small people think it is) of why UO is losing customers. It doesn't have to be that way, but that is how it's going to be (and is already) if they don't make one. Maybe Cal just said it was a possibility to delay people from closing their accounts, or maybe he said it because it really is a possibility. Maybe we'll never know.

B

Babble

So anyone taking bets for a positive/negative/no remark/we decide next year surely?
:p

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Ok i have un-paused my keyboard to put my .2's in. (been on a 3 months vacation from this game)

In some threads above players where discussing the issue of the WOW mentality of players "not loosing anything" upon death and how the "world" wont accept the issue of a classic UO due to death loss (Items etc) you players forget that everything PRE AOS was garbage, there was really nothing that could not be replaced, yeah you had exceptional, or your wep would be vanquishing, but there was no buffs, and there didnt need to be.

Alot of you are missing the point of the classic server. Its about COMMUNITY!, thats what it would bring back, It would bring back players interacting with each other, It would make Player A Depend on Player B.

But on a side note, there wont be a community with no subscriptions. This issue is not a 1 program fix all type of deal, There needs to be a multiple solution approach on fixing this issue.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to step back in and thank y'all for not resorting to guerilla warfare in the thread. I like a stimulating discussion just like the rest of you, and have enjoyed seeing the differing opinions. My personal opinion *takes off mod hat* I would love to see a classic shard, my extraneous opinion being it is a "day one" shard minus the crashes and bugs.

*puts mod hat back on*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok i have un-paused my keyboard to put my .2's in. (been on a 3 months vacation from this game)

In some threads above players where discussing the issue of the WOW mentality of players "not loosing anything" upon death and how the "world" wont accept the issue of a classic UO due to death loss (Items etc) you players forget that everything PRE AOS was garbage, there was really nothing that could not be replaced, yeah you had exceptional, or your wep would be vanquishing, but there was no buffs, and there didnt need to be.

Alot of you are missing the point of the classic server. Its about COMMUNITY!, thats what it would bring back, It would bring back players interacting with each other, It would make Player A Depend on Player B.

But on a side note, there wont be a community with no subscriptions. This issue is not a 1 program fix all type of deal, There needs to be a multiple solution approach on fixing this issue.
NO it would NOT bring back community. The only ones would would play it are the ones that forced the creation of Trammel in the first place.... and they are NOT in it for the community... They are in it for the PKing.... and taking everything from everyone else... since no "turkeys" will be there to take everything from the shard would die a very quick death because there is NOTHING in place to cause consequence to being a F-tard..... thereby the shard would die very quickly as that would get old extremely fast.

That and there is nothing really to collect and nothing really to gain... and some jerk would be there to take it all away from anyone who worked at it anyway so what would be the point????

The only way that system builds community is if there is true consequence for actions... which there is NOT never was and never will be.

Not to mention they can NOT stop the cheating on the regular shards so now you would have a classic shard full of speed hacking cheaters using all sorts of scripts .... sound like fun to anyone??? NOPE.

So what you want is a daydream... so just close your eyes and have one.

And finally if people REALLY wanted community like you say... you could have one now.... just find like minded individuals and make a community. I have.

A

AesSedai

- But, but, but... well said MalagAste.

(I'm still thinking about the Shard of the Dead's not-so-great success. Sure it could be accounted to many variables, if one so chose. But it did seem to provide a pretty dang equal 'free to PK' -shard; even if it did not seem to provide any decent type of economy or trade - which is usually cheated/exploited by many in the first place...)

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't you already give this speech like 2 months ago when you quit? Seriously, make up your mind.
Yeah actually, she did, maybe not 2 months ago, but it wasn't long ago. UO, is old, okay?......it can only keep up with the ever changing world of games for so long, before it croaks. If it dies it dies, I won't cut my wrists over it, believe me, I have alot better things to do, than sit and grow fat in front of a pc.

Uo is fun as it is, petty details on SSi or details like that don't phase me......if they make a classic shard, so be it, if not, go play a freebie somewhere, but why, why nag on about it?

A

Aragon100

NO it would NOT bring back community. The only ones would would play it are the ones that forced the creation of Trammel in the first place.... and they are NOT in it for the community... They are in it for the PKing.... and taking everything from everyone else... since no "turkeys" will be there to take everything from the shard would die a very quick death because there is NOTHING in place to cause consequence to being a F-tard..... thereby the shard would die very quickly as that would get old extremely fast.

That and there is nothing really to collect and nothing really to gain... and some jerk would be there to take it all away from anyone who worked at it anyway so what would be the point????

The only way that system builds community is if there is true consequence for actions... which there is NOT never was and never will be.

Not to mention they can NOT stop the cheating on the regular shards so now you would have a classic shard full of speed hacking cheaters using all sorts of scripts .... sound like fun to anyone??? NOPE.

And finally if people REALLY wanted community like you say... you could have one now.... just find like minded individuals and make a community. I have.
You're so wrong in so many ways.

My guild that is what you can describe as a PvP oriented guild, a typical felucca guild. Our community saw light cause we enjoyed a certain type of gameplay and it was not trammel gameplay.

We still have hundreds of members and most of them still play together in different games cause we were such a good community during the UO classic era in felucca. Wonder how many trammel guilds there is out there with our track record as a guild, not many.

And we have loads of fun memories of the community felucca gameplay created. It is still the best gaming experience i had when it comes to communities in any game, and yes i played WoW and other trammel games.

Some didnt enjoy the harshness of felucca and choosed to go to the pointless trammel were everything was safe and boring. But you see there was a load of felucca players that choosed that harsh felucca world for the exitement it brought and the challenge. And we were many that left the game when AoS destroyed UO, huge UO communities were destroyed.

Those communities that i experienced in UO felucca pre AoS i have never experienced afterwards in any game.

So our description of a typical felucca player is not the same and my guess is that you didnt enjoy the harsh world of felucca and i did.

Just by looking at other MMO games as MO and DF you can see there is still a huge interest for that kind of gameplay.

And the consequences for killing others was immense during UO classic statloss period, 8/40, 8 hour to get rid of a short count and 40 hour for a long one. Statloss PK:s often deleted their character when it died cause the consequences was so harsh and the retraining took so long that it was easier to start a new character, and you call that no consequences?

Cheating is not a classic server problem, it is a overall UO problem.

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG I can't read a single thread on these boards without whining. good grief.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

I have no idea how you can cloud "community" with raving PK nut cases roaming the country side LOOKING TO **** BURN AND PILLAGE!!!!! well maybe some was true, But this is 100% a non logical argument.

Leaving town was an adventure and not a cruise cntrl trip. YOU had to have COMMUNITY and a good amount of friends to leave town, to venture to hunt etc.

When I speak about community its a normal lunatic response to say "GAHAHAHAHA YOU JUST WANT CLASSIC SO PK'S CAN RUN AROUND AND PILLAGE THE WORD", No I hate PK's just as much as the next, but community I mean:

Blacksmiths-are actually needed and wanted
Mining-are actually needed and wanted
Tailors-are actually needed and wanted
Hunters-are actually needed and wanted
tamers-are actually needed and wanted
collectors-are actually needed and wanted
pks-are actually needed and wanted

You can sit here and say "Well you can just do it all yourself, or the economy is the same now", Its not, Player vendors have collapsed player to player interaction and trade. Item based Economy doesn't work. Erase that issue and duping etc cease. (Duping etc) still happened back in the "classic" game but it didn't over-through the economy like todays its 100% out of cntrl.

So dont come here and say PKS are what we dont because thats a complete lie.

The way you wrote your response leads me to believe that you weren't around in the start anyways..... Soooooooooo whacha talking about willis?

Why in the heck is this still an argument???? can someone tell me. Its not the CLASSICS fault for speedhacking and duping its THE DEV'S. Who cares about duping in a none item based economy.... O THATS right NO ONE. Speedhacking is a whole other issue. Like i explained in a post that your response was to, it became apparent you had no intention in reading it and understanding it before you started to getting your "PK Crazies" again.

Its not a one solution fix. Its a multipliable solution approach.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Static...

Perhaps you should learn to read. I could give a rats about what the past WAS like.

What I AM saying is the past is past and even if you build a new "classic" shard isn't not going to be anything like the "old" days...... so get over it.

First off in the "old days" the rampant 3rd party programs were in the infancy... many of the hacks they have now weren't available then...

And 99.9% of the people who care about a "classic" shard are the selfsame and exact ones who were responsible for the creation of TRAMMEL... They aren't likely to give one iota about your freaking community save to PK it...

That's the only reason...

what I'm saying is within 2 months of creation the place would be far more abandoned than Siege...

And if you think the DEV's stink at doing stuff now you think that just because they create some "classic" server that it's going to be the totally awesome thing you have in mind??? NO first off there aren't 2 people that can agree on what a "classic" shard should be... Or what things should or should NOT be included.... infact more often than not the "classic" most folk are talking about NEVER existed in the first place. They want this but not that... on and on and on...

And honestly I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how awesomely wonderful it would be that I could vomit.

A

AesSedai

I have no idea how you can cloud "community" with raving PK nut cases roaming the country side LOOKING TO **** BURN AND PILLAGE!!!!! well maybe some was true, But this is 100% a non logical argument.
- How can you say some was true and then propose it is 100% illogical??

Static, I respond to you because I want to ask: Now that Trammel exists on some shards (okay, all Production shards atm), why would a gatherer (bsmith, tailor, hunter, etc..) want to be hindered in their activities by the 'PK nut cases', that you just agreed was somewhat true, when they could just goto Prodo-Trammel and find a community that would like to buy (rather than steal and/or PK for) into the activities they enjoy?

My follow-up question: If gatherers do not participate, then what is left?
(~ aka: if there are no sheep do the wolves die as a result of cannibalism or do they simply subsist without sheep? ~aye, 'am still thinking about Shard of the Dead metrics...)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

And honestly I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how awesomely wonderful it would be that I could vomit.
You do realize you have the option to *not* read Classic Shard threads...right?

It's people like you that make people like me not want to pay EA to play UO anymore. Instead of saying "Hey, you know, if some people want a Classic option, why not give it to them...just don't make me play it" ... you rant and rave about how horrible everyone that enjoys something other than what you enjoy is.

Of all the reasons I spent (wasted) so much time asking for a Classic Shard, it is because of responses like yours and those of several other spoiled, nasty, borderline abusive posters here. You say Classic Shard threads make you want to vomit...your attitude makes me want to do the same.

Just remember, when they do shut UO down...if you, and others like you, had just gotten beyond your hatred of PKs (which I never was) and stopped being so selfish, that you might have gotten another year or more out of the game...but instead, you come here and troll threads that you yourself say you have no interest in reading.

If you don't like Classic UO...fine. If you don't like Classic Shard threads...also fine. But what I have never understood during the entire debate, is why people like you insist on jumping into every single thread and essentially launching personal attacks on everyone that wishes to post in the thread. :coco:

Get a life.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

And...for the record...my accounts are closed, just as I said when I posted that I was leaving.

For those that actually read (and understood) the post, I clearly stated that I would still be popping into Stratics from time to time.

Last I checked, there was no requirement regarding the status of one's UO accounts for posting here. Am I wrong about that?

And to those that are "glad I am gone"...you are not alone, I am glad I am gone as well. If I had wanted to continue to play the game in its current state...I would have. So being glad I am gone makes you a ... :loser:

A

Aragon100

- How can you say some was true and then propose it is 100% illogical??

Static, I respond to you because I want to ask: Now that Trammel exists on some shards (okay, all Production shards atm), why would a gatherer (bsmith, tailor, hunter, etc..) want to be hindered in their activities by the 'PK nut cases', that you just agreed was somewhat true, when they could just goto Prodo-Trammel and find a community that would like to buy (rather than steal and/or PK for) into the activities they enjoy?

My follow-up question: If gatherers do not participate, then what is left?
(~ aka: if there are no sheep do the wolves die as a result of cannibalism or do they simply subsist without sheep? ~aye, 'am still thinking about Shard of the Dead metrics...)
You didnt turn to me but i give my approach to your question. I was one of the first GM blacksmiths on Europe server among other things. I collected alot of ore and other rescources pre AoS on felucca facet.

What i enjoyed with UO as a crafter and gatherer was the exitement i felt and the risk i put myself into every time i left town. It added to my game experience in a positive way. It was a game for me to outsmart the PK:s and later on i even learned some skills in PvP on my gatherer so he could start defend himself. It was a thrill and an adventure every time i left town. In trammel it would have felt boring and pointless cause i didnt just seek these rescources when i left town, i searched exitement.

I never entered trammel one time over the years it existed cause it was an abomination just like AoS.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Now that Trammel exists on some shards (okay, all Production shards atm), why would a gatherer (bsmith, tailor, hunter, etc..) want to be hindered in their activities by the 'PK nut cases', that you just agreed was somewhat true, when they could just goto Prodo-Trammel and find a community that would like to buy (rather than steal and/or PK for) into the activities they enjoy?
Some wouldn't. Probably most. It's pretty obvious that the majority of current UO players would prefer to remain safe on the existing shards with Trammel.

But, there would be players that would be returning, and those that are on current shards that would prefer the Classic gameplay (no AoS, no insurance, no Trammel).

Those gatherers would play on the Classic shard the same way they would on the current shards.

It's not all about avoiding PKs for some people. Some of us actually thought that the PKs offered a challenge.

If gatherers do not participate, then what is left?
*Sigh* ... okay, I have been pretty quiet about the Shard of the Dead thing...but here goes. It isn't a Classic Shard. It's not even close to being a Classic Shard.

I am going to say this in the plainest way possible:

Just because it is open PvP, does not mean it is Classic. There are plenty of Classic shard supporters out there that prefer the UO:R timeframe...that was not open PvP, yet, compared to Shard of the Dead, I'd call it Classic.

What a lot of people seem not to understand is that it is *not* all about PK'ing. It's about the gameplay, the lack of an item-based model, and an ecomony that allowed new players to jump in and enjoy the game without having to buy items for real money (yes, I am very aware that people did that back then, but it was not nearly as necessary as it is today due to the lack of hyperinflation of gold).

A

AesSedai

- For the record, I would be wary of slinging the "personal attack"-defense. Sometimes it reminds me of 'crying wolf'; and that is especially bad if proclaimed whilst also wearing a wolf's suit.

Aragon100: It seems we had a similar early UO experience (my start date: Oct 30 1997). I still see the excitement in trying to 'outsmart' my game. I just do not see my past experience as ever being truly repeatable... I do not think Classic would be able to succeed in the present time. So, I continue to vote against this proposal until I am given a reason sufficient enough to make me believe it would succeed, along with existant shards, in current times.

Hi Morgana. Hope all is going well these days.
I know Classic was not *all* about PKing. Please see above.

Evolve. It is natural.
Failures happen. Improvements happen too. Things just keep changing..

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

- For the record, I would be wary of slinging the "personal attack"-defense. Sometimes it reminds me of 'crying wolf'; and that is especially bad if proclaimed whilst also wearing a wolf's suit.
I think if you trace things back, you'd find that it was not I that started the personal attacks. However, I am not one to just sit and take abuse...I will defend myself in kind. Perhaps I shouldn't have, but that's just who I am.

Evolve. It is natural.
Failures happen. Improvements happen too. Things just keep changing..
Evolve...yes. Embrace a style of gameplay I don't enjoy...no thanks.

For some of us, Trammel was not a natural evolution, but rather the avoidance of the natural evolution...and AoS, well...that was just a total departure from the original concept. Evolving is great, unless something evolves in a manner that destroys the original identity, replacing it with something inferior.

It's a shame that there is no option for those of us that simply prefered the game mechanics the way they were. But it is a bigger shame that so many current players that enjoy the current game are so selfish to deny us that option.

A

Aragon100

For some of us, Trammel was not a natural evolution, but rather the avoidance of the natural evolution...and AoS, well...that was just a total departure from the original concept. Evolving is great, unless something evolves in a manner that destroys the original identity, replacing it with something inferior.

It's a shame that there is no option for those of us that simply prefered the game mechanics the way they were. But it is a bigger shame that so many current players that enjoy the current game are so selfish to deny us that option.
This is spot on.

Sadest part with all these classic shard threads is the last part you mention, i cant understand how current players can be so selfish. They have their game, we want the one we lost many years back.

H

Heartseeker

It's people like you that make people like me not want to pay EA to play UO anymore. Instead of saying "Hey, you know, if some people want a Classic option, why not give it to them...just don't make me play it" ... you rant and rave about how horrible everyone that enjoys something other than what you enjoy is.

Of all the reasons I spent (wasted) so much time asking for a Classic Shard, it is because of responses like yours and those of several other spoiled, nasty, borderline abusive posters here. You say Classic Shard threads make you want to vomit...your attitude makes me want to do the same.

Just remember, when they do shut UO down...if you, and others like you, had just gotten beyond your hatred of PKs (which I never was) and stopped being so selfish, that you might have gotten another year or more out of the game...but instead, you come here and troll threads that you yourself say you have no interest in reading.

If you don't like Classic UO...fine. If you don't like Classic Shard threads...also fine. But what I have never understood during the entire debate, is why people like you insist on jumping into every single thread and essentially launching personal attacks on everyone that wishes to post in the thread. :coco:

Get a life.
QFT.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Get a life.
This is absolutely correct. No reason for people to lash out at classic shard supporters. Take it to the Devs, they were the ones who blew open this can of worms by mentioning the possibility of a classic shard weren't they? Shouldn't we all be putting pressure on them to give us an answer if we either support or oppose a classic shard? Then this meaningless, endless debate can be a closed book. No one who supports a classic shard is going to back down to people speculating on what might or might not happen with one or what it might cost, etc. Cal had his reasons for saying it was a possibility, he should be the one we all bring into question and then this can all be over.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[YOUTUBE]aiqkDm9UoKo[/YOUTUBE]

Hahahaha. This definitely is the BEST THREAD EVER. Thanks Cal. LMAO.

:loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser: :loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser: :loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser: :loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser: :loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser: :loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser:

bioras

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but having troubles of my own. Seeing this whine fest...weelllll.
I have been here a while..and heard this gripe time over. I have to ask one thing...how many of you that like to gripe about this are on Siege?
Have you played Siege? If so...is there something you don't like?
Just wondering, as someone thats been here a day or two...I would like to know why you wouldn't play Siege. I would also like to ask how much time you all spend in Fel.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Have you played Siege? If so...is there something you don't like?
Just wondering, as someone thats been here a day or two...I would like to know why you wouldn't play Siege. I would also like to ask how much time you all spend in Fel.
I have played Siege. I played it for 3 years when it was first introduced. I stopped playing it because I was spreading my time too thinly due to guild obligations (time I really, really enjoyed) on Atlantic.

I also went back to Siege about 2 years ago, had a character there, and left for the same reason.

I also went back to Siege last year, and started a new character...I left when I canceled my accounts.

What didn't I like:

- Artifacts
- Item base game play
- Dog riding neon ninjas
- People turning into moronic trees
- Elves
- Gargoyles
- Smoke bombs
- Crazy necromantic vampire samurais
- One character slot
- ROT
- NPC vendors won't buy from players

Again, why is it that newbs (yes, newbs...if you have not been in UO as long as I have...since the beta...I am calling you a newb :lick:) just assume that Classic Shard fans are only asking for a Classic Shard due to open PvP??!

Honestly, at this point, I would rather have a UO:R shard than a neon dog ninja shard with open PvP.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And where do you know this from?

And even if it was true, then they don't lose it because of the Classic Shard, but because other newer, prettier and smarter games are out there now. Plus in this day and age, there are many people who can't justify having UO accounts.

B

Bill Gates OSD

And where do you know this from?

And even if it was true, then they don't lose it because of the Classic Shard, but because other newer, prettier and smarter games are out there now. Plus in this day and age, there are many people who can't justify having UO accounts.
:thumbup::owned:

A

Aragon100

So, you don't want a classic shard. Yay. But you also don't like what the majority likes and has liked for a solid decade now?

That is not the truth.

What you describe a majority was artificially created by developers. There was never an option for the classic players to continue their game cause that game seased to exist with AoS in february 2003.

How can you call them a majority when there is no counterpart?

After AoS was released the subscription numbers went down and have steadily declined.

What would have happened to the number of subscribers if there was some classic EA shards to play during these years?

That is anybodies guess but i am 100% sure they would have had alot more subscribers and most likely not a decline in subscription numbers.

Removing the old classic UO game entirely february 2003 with AoS was most likely the worst business decision ever by EA.

B

Beer_Cayse

I started in Dec 1998 on a different account ... foolishly emptied and then deleted all chars on it because of AOS ... and left. Thus the account did get purged. So a year after AOS I figured I'd try UO again and see if I could make some sense out of things.

I gave it several more years and every time I logged in I wanted at least AOS gone from my memory and my monitor. I finally gave up and have simply stored all my (perhaps) usable stuff and closed accounts.

I'd give any EA/Mythic/Bioware pre-AOS shard setup a go.

I Play UO

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Again, why is it that newbs (yes, newbs...if you have not been in UO as long as I have...since the beta...I am calling you a newb :lick:) just assume that Classic Shard fans are only asking for a Classic Shard due to open PvP??!

Honestly, at this point, I would rather have a UO:R shard than a neon dog ninja shard with open PvP.
A true "newb" is someone who can't adapt to a changing game and would rather whine about it even after they supposedly quit.

A

Aragon100

A true "newb" is someone who can't adapt to a changing game and would rather whine about it even after they supposedly quit.
Adapt to a totally different gameplay? I dont think so.

Playing today UO is like playing WoW.

I Play UO

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Adapt to a totally different gameplay? I dont think so.

Playing today UO is like playing WoW.
Really? How often do you do a quest in UO? How much experience do you gain from killing a monster? Did you level up your mage to 85 yet? Do you roll for need or for greed? Get real, UO is not even in the same category of game as WoW. 7 years now, and you're still grasping at the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.